Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,698 members, 7,882,386 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 12:15 AM

If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? (9756 Views)

Complete Story Of Creation: When did god create hell fire ? / When Did God Create Hell? / Did God Create Hell? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by Jenwitemi(m): 12:00pm On Mar 15, 2011
You must be talking about some other God outside that of the bible, then. Right? Because it is quite clearly stated in the bible that the bible overlord deity is neither loving nor forgiving. He is nowhere near being righteous, holy, just, and of pure eyes. wink
Next, please!
Image123:

God is not only loving and forgiving, He is also righteous, holy, just, judge, of pure eyes. He hates sin, not the sinner. He'll punish sin wherever it's found whether in sinner or saint. He'll forgive sin if the offender repents whether sinner or saint. There're some things in life you can't do much about than to adapt for your own good. The sun, night, time, God are some examples.
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by Image123(m): 12:52pm On Mar 15, 2011
^By now, i believe you're old enough to stop being naughty and to behave your age. I'm talking about God, if that's not clear enough, i'm refering to Jehovah God Yahweh.
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by thehomer: 8:05pm On Mar 15, 2011
ugo_2u:

I would have loved to shove salvation down your throat but that will be in error to God's will, by all means do as you may wish but let me say this, on that day you'll remember these words "I TOLD YOU SO!" so my dear friend pay no heed to anything I say ok. its allowed

Oh my. Thank you for not shoving your salvation down my throat even when I did not want it. But are you sure that would be against God's will? Remember what he did to Jonah and Balaam? He made them do something that they did not want to do so, are you going to now try shoving your story down my throat?
And on that day, you'll remember these words: The idea of hell was born of ignorance, brutality, fear, cowardice, and revenge.
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by thehomer: 8:09pm On Mar 15, 2011
Image123:

God is not only loving and forgiving, He is also righteous, holy, just, judge, of pure eyes. He hates sin, not the sinner. He'll punish sin wherever it's found whether in sinner or saint. He'll forgive sin if the offender repents whether sinner or saint. There're some things in life you can't do much about than to adapt for your own good. The sun, night, time, God are some examples.

Oh? The one described in the Bible seems so arbitrary rather than righteous and just. Holiness is just the opinion of the claimant. "Pure eyes"? I hope you meant metaphorically.
But tell me, does God forgive suicide, suicidal attacks, and abortions?
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by Jenwitemi(m): 8:40pm On Mar 15, 2011
Believe me, when people talk about God, it is never certain which one they are talking about till they get down to specifics like you just did. Jehovah/Yahweh, you meant? Then you are talking about that abominable butcher deity of the ancient jews in the OT. No, your bible says that that deity is anything but loving and forgiving. Don't you believe your bible anymore?
Image123:

^By now, i believe you're old enough to stop being naughty and to behave your age. I'm talking about God, if that's not clear enough, i'm refering to Jehovah God Yahweh.
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by Image123(m): 8:51pm On Mar 15, 2011
@thehomer
The Bible says God is holy and righteous and of pure eyes, don't you want me to believe that part? i know your fingers are itching to show me the parts you described, do you want me to believe that part and not believe the one I know?
By the way, are you about to commit suicide or an abortion? remember Jesus loves you more than you know.
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by Image123(m): 9:01pm On Mar 15, 2011
@jenwit
The Bible doesn't talk about any abominable butcher, the Bible says God is loving and forgiving. Are we reading the same Bible, i mean the holy Bible, not some deluding article you seem to have read.
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by Jenwitemi(m): 9:03pm On Mar 15, 2011
Besides, only a totally insane person will say that the bible Godgod is forgiving and loving after reading what he did in the OT. Amazing!
Jenwitemi:

Believe me, when people talk about God, it is never certain which one they are talking about till they get down to specifics like you just did. Jehovah/Yahweh, you meant? Then you are talking about that abominable butcher deity of the ancient jews in the OT. No, your bible says that that deity is anything but loving and forgiving. Don't you believe your bible anymore?
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by Jenwitemi(m): 9:05pm On Mar 15, 2011
No, the bible only chronicles his abominable acts of butchery with stunning clarity, which ends up being the same thing at the end of the day. A deity that commits abominable acts of butchery is, therefore, a butcher of the abominable kind. Get it?.
Image123:

@jenwit
The Bible doesn't talk about any abominable butcher, the Bible says God is loving and forgiving. Are we reading the same Bible, i mean the holy Bible, not some deluding article you seem to have read.
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by Image123(m): 9:21pm On Mar 15, 2011
i'm not sure we read the same Bible, maybe it's because i read mine with the Spirit of God in me sha.
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by Image123(m): 9:23pm On Mar 15, 2011
i'm not sure we read the same Bible, maybe it's because i read mine with the Spirit of God in me sha. The Bible is filled with the chronicle of God's love and forgiving power, not only that, i've experienced, i mean EXPERIENCED His love and forgiveness. Experience they say is the best teacher.
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by thehomer: 10:05pm On Mar 15, 2011
Image123:

@thehomer
The Bible says God is holy and righteous and of pure eyes, don't you want me to believe that part?

What I want doesn't really matter here. Besides, using the Bible to justify the Bible is making a circular argument which is a fallacy.

Image123:

i know your fingers are itching to show me the parts you described, do you want me to believe that part and not believe the one I know?

If you're picking and choosing i.e not being consistent in applying the Bible, then I would suggest that you actually consider the reasons why you are able to decide for yourself the parts of the Bible you wish to apply.

Image123:

By the way, are you about to commit suicide or an abortion? remember Jesus loves you more than you know.

Whether or not I'm about to commit suicide or an abortion is irrelevant. Why don't you simply answer the question? I'll repeat it again below.

thehomer:

. . . .
But tell me, does God forgive suicide, suicidal attacks, and abortions?
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by Image123(m): 10:21pm On Mar 15, 2011
@thehomer
What you want matters here. You're not inconsequential. You believe the parts of the Bible that you think shows God as brutal and unfair, but you don't want me to believe the parts that clearly show and state His love, grace and mercy? Using the Bible to justify the Bible is a fallacy, but using the Bible to condemn the Bible is what? now you're becoming unfair. Give the Bible a fair hearing na.
I'm not picking and choosing the Bible, i'm only showing you parts you may have missed in your belief database. Now again, you are not irrelevant. i understand Adam fell, and all that, but don't take it too hard on yourself. Jesus wants to forgive you and lift you up again. I want to know, are you about to commit suicide or have an abortion?
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by justcool(m): 11:54pm On Mar 15, 2011
I have treated this topic many times on this forum; for those who might want to examine my views, I will offer them once again.

Hell was not created by God. All that God created are perfect, beautiful, and not wanting in any way. Hell resulted from the activity of mankind; hence mankind created hell by misusing their free-will or by straying from the will of God.

There is a law in the entire creation that "One must reap what he/she has sown."  One who plants a seed of corn on a fertile farm will, during harvest, reap an ear of corns containing many seeds of corns. Creation is such a fertile ground where all our actions, words, and thoughts are planted; based on the law of attraction of homogenous species (like attracts like), all evil deeds accumulate in a plane in the beyond. There, like a seed planted in a fertile farm, they grow, blossom into various sublevels in this plane; this is hell. All that contributed to this plane by wrong actions, words, or deeds are drawn into this plane when they pass on. There they will reap what they have sown.

When the scriptures, or sacred ancient writings of various cultures say that "your works await you", this is not metaphoric like many people think. It is a reality. All that you do, say, or think, take on form in the beyond; they take on tangible forms, even your thoughts have tangible forms, they are your works because your produced them. Being their producer, they are tied to you with an invisible(to the physical eye) cord, yet they are accumulated and nourished to blossom in a plane of like nature in the beyond, a plane corresponding to their weight and nature. If the cords tying you to them are not severed before you pass on, ie before physical death, your soul will be drawn to this plane(Hell) where your evil works are accumulated. There you must reap what you have sown.

The only way to sever the ties from these planes is by living according to the will of God, by living in accord with the true teachings of Christ. The individual who stops acting, speaking or thinking in an evil way will gradually but surely lose all his/her ties to hell because they is no longer homogenous to him, or his nature. His/her true repentance will afford him experiences which will redeem him/her of his/her past wrong doings; he/she will be given an opportunity to redeem his/her karma in a symbolic way. As long as he/she remains steadfast with his/her true repentance, gradually he/she will be purified; losing all homogeneity to hell, he/she would become homogenous to the light planes where only good deeds are accumulated. Based on the law of attraction of homogenous species, such an individual will obtain a connection with or a tie to such light planes or Paradise. And when he/she passes on, he/she will be drawn or lifted to the beautiful light planes, planes that correspond to his/her inner weight and nature.

Hence the saying:  "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.”
(Mathew 6:30). This saying, which corresponds to the Truth, is not metaphoric but reality.  Our good works, thoughts, and actions, actually have forms which are accumulated in a light plane, a plane corresponding to their weight; they are actually treasures which we store in the beyond, which awaits us, and which we must live through when we pass on.

Therefore Hell is the work of man, and not God. God did not create hell. Hell will gradually and automatically disappear if all men live in accord with the will of God.

Thanks
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by thehomer: 7:53am On Mar 16, 2011
Image123:

@thehomer
What you want matters here. You're not inconsequential.

I never said I was inconsequential. What I meant was that what you think I want you to believe is irrelevant to the discussion. What is more relevant is how you came to believe what you do and why.

Image123:

You believe the parts of the Bible that you think shows God as brutal and unfair, but you don't want me to believe the parts that clearly show and state His love, grace and mercy?

Don't you see that you are picking and choosing the attributes you wish to grant this God? How do you know the attributes to accept and the ones to reject?

Image123:

Using the Bible to justify the Bible is a fallacy, but using the Bible to condemn the Bible is what? now you're becoming unfair. Give the Bible a fair hearing na.

What I'm doing is pointing out the problems with such a belief system if one accepts the premise of the Bible being a book about a good character.

Image123:

I'm not picking and choosing the Bible, i'm only showing you parts you may have missed in your belief database.

I'm aware of those parts too. But, if the Bible is supposed to be about a wise and benevolent character, those parts should not be in it about that same character.

Image123:

Now again, you are not irrelevant. i understand Adam fell, and all that, but don't take it too hard on yourself. Jesus wants to forgive you and lift you up again. I want to know, are you about to commit suicide or have an abortion?

I never said I was irrelevant. You need to learn to separate a person from what [b]you think [/b]their emotional state may be. Please carefully read what I wrote and let me know if you actually have an answer.
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by Image123(m): 11:31pm On Mar 16, 2011
@thehomer
Here's what you said
What I want doesn't really matter here.Whether or not I'm about to commit suicide or an abortion is irrelevant.
Now for me as a christian, i have to discourage such mindset, words are powerful you know. You want to know how i believe that God is holy, merciful and righteous? i believe the same way you believed! I read it and believed it. Why? Because it worked in my life and in the lives of several others. God has been merciful to me. He's shown me His love and His holiness. I do not reject any of God's attributes. The good thing for me is that i know Him, you don't. The Bible doesn't say God's wicked or terrible or bad or whatever. i re-wonder at where you saw all that and its like.
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by thehomer: 7:34am On Mar 17, 2011
Image123:

@thehomer
Here's what you said. Now for me as a christian, i have to discourage such mindset, words are powerful you know.

Discourage what mindset?

Image123:

You want to know how i believe that God is holy, merciful and righteous? i believe the same way you believed! I read it and believed it. Why? Because it worked in my life and in the lives of several others. God has been merciful to me. He's shown me His love and His holiness. I do not reject any of God's attributes. The good thing for me is that i know Him, you don't. The Bible doesn't say God's wicked or terrible or bad or whatever. i re-wonder at where you saw all that and its like.

Do you believe everything you read?
How did he show you his love and holiness?
How did you come to know him? Did you hear him speak to you?
It seems to me that you're rejecting the ones that do not favour what you wish to think. How else is one supposed to consider an entity that is ready to murder entire tribes using other people?
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by ugo2u(m): 8:41am On Mar 17, 2011
To everyone to his or her own thoughts, its better to gather information before judging a matter. if you say God is cruel you are not the first neither will you be the last. just hope you will research well before making assumptions
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by Image123(m): 9:43pm On Mar 17, 2011
@thehomer
I wanted the discourage the mindset that doesn't have selfesteem and that doesn't regard his life or another's of much value. That's what you implied in the statement that i quoted from you.
I believe everything i read in the Bible, i learnt to. God revealed His love and holiness to me. I was once a sinner and i knew it in the inside. There was a void in me. I wasn't 'unintelligent', it's not a matter of brain washing or the like. I've read books and done calculations, and i still do. But the Bible is different from others. As i read it, i found real purpose in life. I found faith and true hope. i saw God's nature of holiness, what He expects of man, and the power to do it.
i do not reject any scripture, maybe we're looking at things from different perspectives, or maybe you've not really read the Bible
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by Trex73(m): 1:41pm On Mar 19, 2011
Hello, we need not argue on what we no not, according to the Bible Jesus said
"I tell you things of the world and you don't understand, how much more if I tell you
Things of the spiritual". (Some mostly my words).

Now the things of the spirit can not be dared in any way cos we can't understand it, let
the spirits take care of themselves, and don't let us slander celestial beings, for nobody know GOD.

I have always heard from the so called christains (So called cos they are not Christ like) Christ means messiah,
Are they messiahs, they are all practicing to be like Christ which they can never be.
Like I was saying, the so called Christians say I know my God, my friend you can not know God, for He is divine
In the book of Isaiah 55, Isaiah wrote "My ways are not your ways neither are my thought you thoughts
For as the heavens are higher than the earth so are my ways higher than yours" etc.

So tell me you understand the ways of God?[b][/b]
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by Trex73(m): 2:12pm On Mar 19, 2011
Now to the main topic, God is divine and we can not use any word to qualify
divinity,for He is Holy, divinity is everything,so we can't say that God is a Man or
a woman, He is both and much more, He is neither black nor white, You can
not define God in any ramification, He is all.

A merciful God does not have the righteous severity of being just, that is absolutely impossible.

So as soon as we put any quality upon divinity we limit the source of All, a divinity
which is limited can not be the ultimate divinity.

Again please, let us not mention or argue much on the words written in the bible, except
you can translate the ancient Hebrew bible written in the old Hebrew language
(Aramaic) then only you can understand it perfectly, because the Bible is a translation,of a translation
of a translation.

And originally the bible was compiled by a pagan(the roman emperor) Constantine,
he selected wise men of his own knowledge,to compile the bible,to suit the then Roman Empire
that was why, they changed the sabbath day to Sunday,for that was the day the Romans worship
their god Apollo(god of the sun).

If you argue things based on the bible,you might just be wrong.
Just follow you spirit, God has created everything inside you, like Alester Crowley
always say, "There is no part of my that is not in the gods".

Bye.
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by shols4ever(m): 4:31pm On Mar 19, 2011
Truly everything God created was perfect. After the fall of man, things changed.

From account in the Bible, we also found out that hell is real and it was created for the devil and the fallen angels. (Isa 14:12). Also from the book of 2 Peter. 3:9, we know that God doesn't want anyone to perish but to come to repentance. Hell is a real place. This is highlighted from many verses in the Bible.

Hell is a place of eternal seperation from God and some people will go there because they chose to seperate themselves from God whilst living on earth. God created us with the freewill to make our own choices and one of those choices is the ability to seperate yourself from God. He will not force us to come to Him but show us in many ways that it is life for us to come to Him. The decision is ours to make. CHOOSE LIFE!. Apart from the devil and his angels, hell is also created for the unrepentant, the wicked etc. Otherwise, it will be a grave injustice and He is a God of justice.

We shouldn't deceive ourselves by saying there is no hell or let people deceive us. Hell is real. I will rather live my life believing that there is hell and die to find out there isn't than to live my life believing there is no hell and to die to find out there is a place call hell and I'm going there. If there is no seperation from the good and the bad, then the holiness and righteousness of God will mean nothing.

We need to know that after the fall of man, every human being born was born a sinner and the only way to life is through Jesus Christ.
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by thehomer: 7:33pm On Mar 19, 2011
Image123:

@thehomer
I wanted the discourage the mindset that doesn't have selfesteem and that doesn't regard his life or another's of much value. That's what you implied in the statement that i quoted from you.

No that was not what I implied by that statement. I already responded to this here. See the first line of my response.

Image123:

I believe everything i read in the Bible, i learnt to.

Oh? Do you really? I take this to mean that you believe in talking animals, Noah's ark, Samson's hair, floating axes, bears commanded with God's aid to kill children, zombies wandering the streets and other such tales? Do you also practice all that is recommended in it too?

Image123:

God revealed His love and holiness to me. I was once a sinner and i knew it in the inside. There was a void in me. I wasn't 'unintelligent', it's not a matter of brain washing or the like. I've read books and done calculations, and i still do. But the Bible is different from others. As i read it, i found real purpose in life. I found faith and true hope. i saw God's nature of holiness, what He expects of man, and the power to do it.
i do not reject any scripture, maybe we're looking at things from different perspectives, or maybe you've not really read the Bible

What was the purpose that you found? Is faith really such a good thing? You don't reject any scripture? Do you also accept the books of Tobias, Maccabees and others? Believe me when I say I've read the Bible.
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by Image123(m): 10:02pm On Mar 19, 2011
@thehomer
No that was not what I implied by that statement. I already responded to this here. See the first line of my response.
I didn't say you 'meant' that, i said you 'implied' it. No qualms sha, i see you did not mean it that way.
Oh? Do you really? I take this to mean that you believe in talking animals, Noah's ark, Samson's hair, floating axes, bears commanded with God's aid to kill children, zombies wandering the streets and other such tales? Do you also practice all that is recommended in it too?
i guess you're referring to the signs and miracles in the bible. I believe the whole bible, the miracles, the wonders, the prophecies, all of it. And i keep the commandments of God by the grace of God. It's not by my strength, i never could when i tried my best to my strength. but i learnt to trust in God, and in His word/promises, and it's been wonderful for me. i'm transformed. evil does not have dominion over me. the Bible is to be obeyed by the Spirit of God, not academically, and not forgetting to keep everything in the right perspective from Genesis to Revelation.

Psalm 19:7  The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
Psa 19:8  The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
Psa 19:9  The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
Psa 19:10  More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
Psa 19:11  Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.

What was the purpose that you found?

i found the purpose for life. i found my history and God's. i uses to wonder, why is man here, why are we born, where do we go from here, who's responsible for all that is in earth. All the answers i find in the Bible, and its satisfactory compared to all others. the Bible gives me hope, keeps me in check, advices me so that i'm miles ahead of others around me who do not study it, makes me a helper of others, a succorer of many, makes me calm when others are bewildered(it's like sometimes i've seen the expo, the grand scheme).
Is faith really such a good thing?
Yes, without faith it is impossible to please God, hope you know that's actually scripture. Faith is precious, it is a gift of God. Through faith, i had and you can have salvation, spiritual light, eternal life, provision and preservation. Faith is the medium, like the telescope through which we can see the invisible spiritual reality, and receive more and more of God's.
You don't reject any scripture? Do you also accept the books of Tobias, Maccabees and others? Believe me when I say I've read the Bible.
i do not reject any scripture. The books you mentioned are not scripture, if they were they'll be in the  scripture. No man has the power to take out or add to the scripture, not even a verse. you can try it, you have the internet at you disposal and a lot of rich people se?
Matthew 24:35  Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
Isa 40:8  The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but[b] the word of our God shall stand forever.[/b]
1Pe 1:25  But the word of the Lord endureth forever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

No council or decree can of it's own accord vote out or vote in what it wants into the Bible, even the UN or whatever you feel to be the most powerful body on earth. If it's not in the Bible it's simply because it's not the bible. Those books and others may be good books oh, they may even agree with the Bible. But if it's not the Bible, it's not the same thing as the bible.
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Mar 20, 2011
Image123:

No council or decree can of it's own accord vote out or vote in what it wants into the Bible, even the UN or whatever you feel to be the most powerful body on earth. If it's not in the Bible it's simply because it's not the bible. Those books and others may be good books oh, they may even agree with the Bible. But if it's not the Bible, it's not the same thing as the bible.

Actually here you would be incorrect. There were wildly differing scriptural collections throughout the ancient world. I am guessing the bible you use traces back to one of many "cannons" decided at various times in European and Near Eastern Christendom(i.e the Roman Empire). The history of the development of the bible from the western perspective is often referred to as the  Seven Ecumenical Councils. Mind you the commissioning of these text were not removed from political intrigues of the time as seems to be the case for the Constantin's cannon.

Not only that, but there existed and still exist different cannon whose origins come outside the former roman empire, and are older and larger(in terms of texts) than the one you are using. The one I find most interesting is the Ethiopic Bible which includes text found no where else. It reveals the more mythological/fantastical elements of early Christianity/Judaism that most do not usually hear about.

Trust me when I say that you have to pick and choose your bible as much as you pick and choose the writs contained within. Each bible are a collection of documents chosen for whatever reason(political,sociological,personal etc, ) by different groups of people at different times and places. If ever find yourself free, you should take some time to explore the history of the various bibles as it is quite fascinating. There no more exist one true bible than there exist one true Christianity it seems.
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by thehomer: 8:39pm On Mar 20, 2011
Image123:

@thehomerI didn't say you 'meant' that, i said you 'implied' it. No qualms sha, i see you did not mean it that way.

I try to be as clear as possible.

Image123:

i guess you're referring to the signs and miracles in the bible. I believe the whole bible, the miracles, the wonders, the prophecies, all of it. And i keep the commandments of God by the grace of God. It's not by my strength, i never could when i tried my best to my strength. but i learnt to trust in God, and in His word/promises, and it's been wonderful for me. i'm transformed. evil does not have dominion over me. the Bible is to be obeyed by the Spirit of God, not academically, and not forgetting to keep everything in the right perspective from Genesis to Revelation.

Psalm 19:7  The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
Psa 19:8  The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
Psa 19:9  The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
Psa 19:10  More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
Psa 19:11  Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.

Wow. I hope you also understand that this means you believe that God sanctioned cruel and inhuman punishment along with genocide. But I have to ask, why do you believe such things? I take it that you do not also believe the Qur'an and the Greek mythologies. Does this mean that you think it's right for people to be killed for adultery, homosexuality and changing their religion?

Image123:

i found the purpose for life. i found my history and God's. i uses to wonder, why is man here, why are we born, where do we go from here, who's responsible for all that is in earth. All the answers i find in the Bible, and its satisfactory compared to all others. the Bible gives me hope, keeps me in check, advices me so that i'm miles ahead of others around me who do not study it, makes me a helper of others, a succorer of many, makes me calm when others are bewildered(it's like sometimes i've seen the expo, the grand scheme).

Could you please enlighten me on this grand scheme? Do you really think that if you did not believe in the Bible, you would not be motivated to help others?

Image123:

Yes, without faith it is impossible to please God, hope you know that's actually scripture. Faith is precious, it is a gift of God. Through faith, i had and you can have salvation, spiritual light, eternal life, provision and preservation. Faith is the medium, like the telescope through which we can see the invisible spiritual reality, and receive more and more of God's.

Faith is not a gift. Faith is the sort of reasoning that enables people to kill their own children and kill others with impunity while thinking that they are doing something good.

Image123:

i do not reject any scripture. The books you mentioned are not scripture, if they were they'll be in the  scripture. No man has the power to take out or add to the scripture, not even a verse. you can try it, you have the internet at you disposal and a lot of rich people se?
Matthew 24:35  Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
Isa 40:8  The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but[b] the word of our God shall stand forever.[/b]
1Pe 1:25  But the word of the Lord endureth forever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

Who to say they're not scripture? I hope you realize that you're making a circular argument by saying that scripture is what is contained in the scripture.
I would advice you to read this link and be informed on the various arrangements of books of scripture. You may also see here for the development of the books of the New Testament and here for the books not included in it.
What I think you should ask is how did the people who picked the books that became the canon you accept come to pick those particular books and not other books.
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by Image123(m): 9:28am On Mar 21, 2011
@Idehn
We're saying the same thing, just making different conclusions. I'm aware of the 'history of the versions', it's not a case of i never knew have been deceived all this while. i know of political intrigues and so on. The final product is what i'm referencing. There are localised versions of the Bible, we may even have Idehn Bible, i think there's td jakes Bible, oyakhilome Bible, women Bible and so on. Those are local/localised versions. I'm referencing the world best seller, it contains 66books, it can be googled, downloaded, in so many languages and versions. That's the final product. No man can of his own will physically take away or add to it. All the procedures were overseen by God. Like a local proverb will say "man's madness does not stop God's work".
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by Image123(m): 11:00am On Mar 21, 2011
@thehomer
what's the definition of 'cruel and inhumane punishment'? Not to drag issues, i get your point that the OT God(wondering what that means) is barbaric and cruel, and the NT God is nicer. What do you class as lovely and humane punishment?
What makes me believe the Bible and not quran and co, i find what i need in the Bible, i don't need to care or worry whether to believe or doubt the quran. Plus i do not see eternal life in the others. i do not see holiness, or the Revelation of God and the purpose of man as revealed in the Bible. i don't love doing 'criticisms' in that sense, so permit to summarily say that i'm TOTALLY satisfied with the Bible.
Do i think it's right for people to be killed for commiting sin? Maybe no. Does the Bible say it's right? Do you take the Bible as one as it is, or you're again caught picking and choosing without the right perspective. One can easily quote Jesus charging His disciples not to tell anyone that He's Christ and vice versa. What's the right perspective today, what's understanding, what's a relationship, what's common sense?
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by Image123(m): 12:10pm On Mar 21, 2011
There are varying levels of motivation, the Bible brings the best form. On the grand scheme, those who study the Bible know that there's more to life and the reality of an afterlife far exceeding this life. The knowledge is able to put you/one in better perspective irrespective of what's happening today. It gives hope where others are hopeless.
Faith is a gift. It can be mis-used, it can be abused, it can be put to right use. Fire is useful, water is useful, electricity is useful, wind is useful. Anything can be abused or mis-used. Faith has great potential, can not be discarded, and it's most important if one wants to be well placed at least in the afterlife.
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by Image123(m): 1:02pm On Mar 21, 2011
On who's to say what book is scripture or not, i thought i already mentioned it. It's God that says. The test of scripture is found in it's standing despite all odds. It cannot pass away. No decree can stop it, no council, no political party, nothing can 'hinder it'. That those books were not included shows it's not scripture. We have the final product now. There was a time when it was unfinished. There was a time when it was just 5books, there was a time when there was no new testament. Now call things are ready.
Not every book written by a prophet is scripture. For example 2Samuel 1 talks of the book of Jasher and there are other books mentioned in scripture. They may be good books, they may be written by prophets. There's no significant truth that you may find in them that's missing in the Bible. There's nothing of importance in any of those books that you can't get by meditation or revelation from the Bible. There's eternal life in the Bible. There's power, there's freedom, there's love, there's Jesus. i'm not greedy, neither am i a glutton, don't know about you. i've not touched a tenth of the depth of the riches of the Bible, why am i worried about the remaining books of moses, or the gospel of gaddaffi or apocrypha and co. it's no reason for me.
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by thehomer: 8:42pm On Mar 21, 2011
Image123:

@thehomer
what's the definition of 'cruel and inhumane punishment'? Not to drag issues, i get your point that the OT God(wondering what that means) is barbaric and cruel, and the NT God is nicer. What do you class as lovely and humane punishment?

I never said that the New Testament God was nicer. There are better ways to address punishments {e.g by jails, community service, fines) and there are some things that should not be considered crimes. e.g changing religion, working on the Sabbath etc.

Image123:

What makes me believe the Bible and not quran and co, i find what i need in the Bible, i don't need to care or worry whether to believe or doubt the quran.

Do you not see that you do not care about the Qur'an because you already believe your Bible? The same goes for one who already accepts the Qur'an. So, why should such a person switch and come to believe your Bible?

Image123:

Plus i do not see eternal life in the others. i do not see holiness, or the Revelation of God and the purpose of man as revealed in the Bible. i don't love doing 'criticisms' in that sense, so permit to summarily say that i'm TOTALLY satisfied with the Bible.

Then I must say that it's because you've not looked around enough.

Image123:

Do i think it's right for people to be killed for commiting sin? Maybe no. Does the Bible say it's right? Do you take the Bible as one as it is, or you're again caught picking and choosing without the right perspective. One can easily quote Jesus charging His disciples not to tell anyone that He's Christ and vice versa. What's the right perspective today, what's understanding, what's a relationship, what's common sense?

No I'm not picking and choosing. You are the one picking and choosing from what I can see because according to the Bible, people are supposed to be killed for various sins and other things that we do not consider as crimes.
Re: If God Is So Forgiving And Loving Why Did He Feel It Necessary To Create Hell? by thehomer: 8:49pm On Mar 21, 2011
Image123:

There are varying levels of motivation, the Bible brings the best form. On the grand scheme, those who study the Bible know that there's more to life and the reality of an afterlife far exceeding this life. The knowledge is able to put you/one in better perspective irrespective of what's happening today. It gives hope where others are hopeless.

No they don't actually know this. They only think they do because they currently believe in the Bible.

Image123:

Faith is a gift. It can be mis-used, it can be abused, it can be put to right use. Fire is useful, water is useful, electricity is useful, wind is useful. Anything can be abused or mis-used. Faith has great potential, can not be discarded, and it's most important if one wants to be well placed at least in the afterlife.

Fire, water and electricity are useful because they are generally consistent across board and are amenable to knowledge and evidence but faith isn't. It's not amenable to evidence which makes it very dangerous.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] / Quran Burning Cancel / Not My Head Not My Blood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.