Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,211 members, 7,887,557 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 10:35 AM

Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread - Satellite TV Technology (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread (5516452 Views)

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 5 - The Final Part) / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) / Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (2353) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Nobody: 4:56pm On Sep 09, 2011
Please i need help on how to extract the stb file from the rar file. I right clicked on the rar file and i saw OPEN, EXPLORE, COPY ETC. Instead of seeing extract in the case of zip files.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by isomadtech(m): 5:06pm On Sep 09, 2011
@edey2real
what type of dish? if it is fibre, you measure from the centre of the dish to the edge of your lnb
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by ftadream: 5:39pm On Sep 09, 2011
auchs:

Please i need help on how to extract the stb file from the rar file. I right clicked on the rar file and i saw OPEN, EXPLORE, COPY ETC. Instead of seeing extract in the case of zip files.

1-Create a folder on the desk top
2-Double click on the rar file
3- after double clicking you will see a command box with Add, Extract To, Tex, View etc,

4- Click on Extract to, another box will pop up where you will click once more on the folder you created, and press ok.
5- Look into the folder on the desktop and you will see the SRT folder or whatever the file could be.
I hope it will help you.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by salamander(m): 5:48pm On Sep 09, 2011
sambass:

@sophia u are right d g-group is a tribal group and i wont blame olofofo because he doesnt knw me imagine me creating a tread and twinstaye removed it but if it is one of his kinsman he wont. Check my profile and see wen i join nairaland or u can ask bigjoe the first poster of of this thread he is my neighbour. Even olofofo removed him from g-group can u imagine d insult and now he is no longer managing dis thread dat he created because twins has taken over wot somebody else started.@sophia u are right d g-group is a tribal group and i wont blame olofofo because he doesnt knw me imagine me creating a tread and twinstaye removed it but if it is one of his kinsman he wont. Check my profile and see wen i join nairaland or u can ask bigjoe the first poster of of this thread he is my neighbour. Even olofofo removed him from g-group can u imagine d insult and now he is no longer managing dis thread dat he created because twins has taken over wot somebody else started.

You are again wrong Sambass! I belong to the G-group and a proud member. I'm not even a Nigerian not to talk about ethnicity. So unless there is something amiss, I think your accusations are baseless.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by GeorgeD1(m): 6:05pm On Sep 09, 2011
edey2real:

@George D

I would have loved to qoute our last conversation for you to get me clearly but am using my phone to send this.

It is about tracking Nilesat nd Badr which i seeked your assistance 4 and i said am in Kainji in Niger state. I want u to knw the result.

Everybody that uses Nilesat in that town, used 1.8m pan dish with supermax lnb but i tried it with 3m fiber dish and the same lnb which its head is been cut off but with no succes. Even with an installer which a forum member freshp directed me to.

I could not get the fuji and stargold lnb in that town so i couldn*t try it with it.
But my suprise was mbc on W3 signal which is not more than 49%. I then decided not to waste my money on the lnbs u adviced me to get.

I can only think of the topography of my location which is very sloppy down but cant immagine mbc w3 on a 3m fiber dish to be 49%.

This is my report.
Thank you

@edey2real,
There are many factors that could cause a dish not to pick signals as expected. The first and foremost is the dish mould. If the mould is not good, then your dish parabola will not be perfect hence leading to poor signal reception. Since yours is an old dish we assume it was working perfectly when it was new. So, that brings us to the refurbishment job that you did. If you didn't fix the foil properly, your dish reception will be poor. Next is the focal point. Assuming you did a good refurbishment job but you didn't adjust the focal length properly, your dish will still not perform properly.

For dish focal point calculation, this has been treated exhaustively in the official FTA thread part 3 & 4. However for your convenience I will reproduce the formula here:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-242036.1152.html#msg3767280

f = ( D * D ) / ( 16 * c )

Where f = focal length, D = Dish diameter and c = Depth of dish

(courtesy BUTONEDAY)

You can also download a small file below to help you with focal length calculations.

Click the link below:

http://www.files.com/file/4dd0ec433c179/Parabola.cab

You don't need to install. Just unzip to your desktop and click on the exe file.

Here is the original post from May of this Year:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-475178.4896.html#msg8402352
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by sammu(m): 6:56pm On Sep 09, 2011
@edey2real, since u said the tripod is somewhat shaking, i will suggest u start from there.Adjust the focal lenght as well and ensure u hit 97% on 11051 v 30000 @ nss7ku before going for nilesat.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by osef(m): 7:08pm On Sep 09, 2011
@ George D, long time brother, may the lord grant u more fruitful days, pls how do i join dstv signal and free to air to a signal booster so that both can be send to the various rooms about five rooms and the sitting rooms, i am suspending my Nile sat search till conclusion is made of the 1M dish.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Nobody: 7:56pm On Sep 09, 2011
@ ftadream
awesome. thanks.
@ d lee
How was your hunt? Have you caught the tricky bird? Your message was delivered to me.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Dlee1(m): 8:59pm On Sep 09, 2011
auchs:

@ d lee
How was your hunt? Have you caught the tricky bird? Your message was delivered to me.

@ Auchs, not yet. The weather have been so bad, if the weather gets better by next week then I will give it a trial again.
auchs:

@ d lee

@ Auchs, not yet. The weather have been so bad, if the weather gets better by next week then I will give it a trial again.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by DARELESTIN(m): 9:43pm On Sep 09, 2011
@All, all my fta under DSTV refuse to hit green,not showing. Why other channel wit dolar hit green. Any solution?.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Dlee1(m): 10:11pm On Sep 09, 2011
DARELESTIN:

@All, all my fta under DSTV refuse to hit green,not showing. Why other channel wit dolar hit green. Any solution?.
Delete all the channels and blindscan or reset the factory setting and blindscan.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Everest9(m): 10:37pm On Sep 09, 2011
Hi brothers pls is it possible to track this wonderful mbc package on nilsat wit 1.8 in eastern part of Nigeria wit any Lmb?
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Sunsat(m): 1:54am On Sep 10, 2011
D.lee:

Delete all the channels and blindscan or reset the factory setting and blindscan.

Make sure the $ scramble channels hit a high signal, see if you can hit 93-97 with 12130 H 27500, then input your normal free to freq {i.e}12. 436 H 23. 437 automatically you are done
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by cantell(m): 7:37am On Sep 10, 2011
Everest9:

Hi brothers pls is it possible to track this wonderful mbc package on nilsat wit 1.8 in eastern part of Nigeria wit any Lmb?
Its impossible. I used to stay in onitsha and i tracked it with 2.4m before i could get them.
Even then, some weren't showin but i got the major channels. Cnn, Bbc,aljazerra,euronews,bloomberg,mbc 1-4,max, action and others.
With a high quality lnb, it can only increase the signals and thats all.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Gangsta101(m): 8:43am On Sep 10, 2011
George_D:

@edey2real,
There are many factors that could cause a dish not to pick signals as expected. The first and foremost is the dish mould. If the mould is not good, then your dish parabola will not be perfect hence leading to poor signal reception. Since yours is an old dish we assume it was working perfectly when it was new. So, that brings us to the refurbishment job that you did. If you didn't fix the foil properly, your dish reception will be poor. Next is the focal point. Assuming you did a good refurbishment job but you didn't adjust the focal length properly, your dish will still not perform properly.

Edey2real,

I have been thinking about your problem and i remembered i had a similar issue about 2 years ago, when i got to Maiduguri, i already had a 1.8m dish, which i used to track hotbird, but i wanted another one to serve as a motorized dish. someone offered me one, which he had used before, but had been lying dormat for sometime. when i brought it over and installed, the results i was getting were strange. nss7 and w3a were as high as could be expected (close to 97% for nss7), but nothing for nilesat, although there was a particular TP for nilesat back in those days which had a high signal strength for west Africa, i could get that TP only as high as 71%, but others just wouldn't turn green (i remember that tp had to be as high as 75% before the others would appear).

So i studied the dish for a while and discovered that even though the LNB was more or less at the focal point, its line of sight was not directly in line with the middle of the dish, but was pointed away from the centre to one side, so the reason why i could get nss7 et.al, was because the tilt made the dish to function as an offset dish, the effective diameter was therefore less than 1.8m (probably 1m from my estimation), the dish was so old and tampered with that one or two of the arms supporting the LNB had twisted making the lnb to tilt away from true centre. what i did was to remove all three arms, put them next to each other, i saw the one that was bent and i straightened it, made sure they all had a similar appearance, before connecting the LNB back, and VOILA, my dish was good to go.

So my suggestion to you is this. Calculate the focal length, let say its about 1m, then get a thin but straight and piece of metal or plastic rod that is just less than that length, by a few cm, put it at the centre of the dish (you would have to place the dish on the ground with the bowl facing up, or if it has an adjustable tripod, drop it so the bowl faces directly upwards, then put your straight rod to be at the centre of the dish to serve as the focal length, now if you know how many cm short of the focal length you cut your rod, you'll be able to know if the LNB is at the right length, also if one of the supporting arms is bent, you'll be able to see if the LNb is pointed away from true centre.

All the best.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by edey2real: 8:59am On Sep 10, 2011
George_D:

@edey2real,

For dish focal point calculation, this has been treated exhaustively in the official FTA thread part 3 & 4. However for your convenience I will reproduce the formula here:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-242036.1152.html#msg3767280

f = ( D * D ) / ( 16 * c )

Where f = focal length, D = Dish diameter and c = Depth of dish

(courtesy BUTONEDAY)

You can also download a small file below to help you with focal length calculations.

Click the link below:

http://www.files.com/file/4dd0ec433c179/Parabola.cab

You don't need to install. Just unzip to your desktop and click on the exe file.

Here is the original post from May of this Year:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-475178.4896.html#msg8402352

Am very greatful for the explanation and the link,  i will go and try it when i get back to Kainji.
Thanks.

sammu:

@edey2real, since u said the tripod is somewhat shaking, i will suggest u start from there.Adjust the focal lenght as well and ensure u hit 97% on 11051 v  30000 @ nss7ku before going for nilesat.

Am hitting 97% on that freq but will check the focal lenght as said.
Thanks.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by sambass(m): 9:04am On Sep 10, 2011
@all i need dreambox 800hd 2 buy asap u can mail me on sambass8080@gmail.com. We can conclud everytin on or b4 tuesday next wk.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by edey2real: 9:11am On Sep 10, 2011
Gangsta101:

Edey2real,

I have been thinking about your problem and i remembered i had a similar issue about 2 years ago, when i got to Maiduguri, i already had a 1.8m dish, which i used to track hotbird, but i wanted another one to serve as a motorized dish. someone offered me one, which he had used before, but had been lying dormat for sometime. when i brought it over and installed, the results i was getting were strange. nss7 and w3a were as high as could be expected (close to 97% for nss7), but nothing for nilesat, although there was a particular TP for nilesat back in those days which had a high signal strength for west Africa, i could get that TP only as high as 71%, but others just wouldn't turn green (i remember that tp had to be as high as 75% before the others would appear).

So i studied the dish for a while and discovered that even though the LNB was more or less at the focal point, its line of sight was not directly in line with the middle of the dish, but was pointed away from the centre to one side, so the reason why i could get nss7 et.al, was because the tilt made the dish to function as an offset dish, the effective diameter was therefore less than 1.8m (probably 1m from my estimation), the dish was so old and tampered with that one or two of the arms supporting the LNB had twisted making the lnb to tilt away from true centre. what i did was to remove all three arms, put them next to each other, i saw the one that was bent and i straightened it, made sure they all had a similar appearance, before connecting the LNB back, and VOILA, my dish was good to go.

So my suggestion to you is this. Calculate the focal length, let say its about 1m, then get a thin but straight and piece of metal or plastic rod that is just less than that length, by a few cm, put it at the centre of the dish (you would have to place the dish on the ground with the bowl facing up, or if it has an adjustable tripod, drop it so the bowl faces directly upwards, then put your straight rod to be at the centre of the dish to serve as the focal length, now if you know how many cm short of the focal length you cut your rod, you'll be able to know if the LNB is at the right length, also if one of the supporting arms is bent, you'll be able to see if the LNb is pointed away from true centre.

All the best.

Am guessing this should be the problem. I really appreciate it. Thanks.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by sambass(m): 9:27am On Sep 10, 2011
@salamandar u wont understand and if u want 2 understand d politics of g-group u ask abudlahi badaru.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Femwal: 9:37am On Sep 10, 2011
@all, thunder track my srt4669x &4663 decoder a week ago pls any solution 4 dis, no picture then no sound alway display 8888 atimes ---- on d light board.pls my broda asist me,2decoder at1
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Femwal: 9:38am On Sep 10, 2011
@all, thunder track my srt4669x &4663 decoder a week ago pls any solution 4 dis, no picture then no sound alway display 8888 atimes ---- on d light board.pls my broda asist me,2decoder at1.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Gangsta101(m): 9:45am On Sep 10, 2011
Wow, Thunder still de strike people dish, after all the campaign by George, F_Marshal and so many others to get people to use lightening arrestors, the last less than a month ago

Well, you could try disconnecting the wire from the LNB for starters and see, sometimes when there is a short in the cable from the diseqc/lnb, it shows that 8888, if thats not the case, you would have to get it to a repairer.

Cheers man
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by IHacked: 10:10am On Sep 10, 2011
please can some one list all cband satellite that can be receive in west Africa and its tracking frequency for me
I mean perfect frequency i need the one some one is watching on his / her decoder not on lyngsat
thank you
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by dmote(m): 10:14am On Sep 10, 2011
I Hacked:

please can some one list all cband satellite that can be receive in west Africa and its tracking frequency for me
I mean perfect frequency i need the one some one is watching on his / her decoder not on lyngsat
thank you

Go to http://www.kingofsat.net.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by cantell(m): 10:23am On Sep 10, 2011
I Hacked:

thank you

This is for 1.8m dish - www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-442760.32.html#msg6503959
For 2.4m and above, the list is endless.
Do a research on your own.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by ftadream: 12:03pm On Sep 10, 2011
Femwal:

@all, thunder track my srt4669x &4663 decoder a week ago pls any solution 4 dis, no picture then no sound alway display 8888 atimes ---- on d light board.pls my broda asist me,2decoder at1.
I suggest you see a repairer to assist you with the kind of problem you going through because this is technical
if it was a software issue we could have given you guideline asap. But take along 1 decoder to the
repairer if he is able to fix it then you can send him the second decoder to avoid stories.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by ftadream: 12:24pm On Sep 10, 2011
I Hacked:

thank you
Intelsat 905@24W cband 4111 L 5750; 4193 L 5179
Intelsat 907@27W CBAND 3841 R 10850; 4048 R 7000
Intelsat 903 @ 34W cband 3907 L 3041
Nss 10@ 37W cband 3805 H 2142
Nss7@22W cband 3931 L 25000; 4179 R 27500, 3644 R 27497
Arabsat 2b@20E c band 3907 R 1180
Amos 5i@17E cband 4172 H 7200
Eutelsat w2a @ 10E cband 3927 R 8300, 3951 R 11200
Intelsat10-02@1E cband 4025 R 7324, 4175 R 24800 , 4180 L 21050
Atlantic bird3@ 5W cband 3727 R 29950, 4158 R 20330
Intelsat 901@18W cband 4108 L 1447, 4140 L 3500
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by gadotor(m): 2:20pm On Sep 10, 2011
@I HACKED COPY , YOU CAN ADD THIS TO LIST TO MAKE IT COMPLETE,64.2e intelsat 903 /c 3646 v 8545-62 e intelsat 902/c 3840 h 2466-57e nss 703/-3635 v 2625-30.5e arabsat/c 4137 h 27500-2.8e rascom qaf/c -4054 v 10889-11w express am44/c - 3664 v 10808 -20w nss 5/c-4161 h 3034 .thank you
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Femwal: 2:57pm On Sep 10, 2011
@all,pls how much 4 srt4669 board &4663 board @any shop pls asist me or mail me@ Willymager@yahoo.com.thank fta
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Femwal: 2:59pm On Sep 10, 2011
@all,pls how much 4 srt4669 board &4663 board @any shop pls asist me or mail me@ Willymager@yahoo.com.thank fta.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by GeorgeD1(m): 3:02pm On Sep 10, 2011
osef:

@ George D, long time brother, may the lord grant u more fruitful days, pls how do i join dstv signal and free to air to a signal booster so that both can be send to the various rooms about five rooms and the sitting rooms, i am suspending my Nile sat search till conclusion is made of the 1M dish.

@osef,
Loop the RF output of the DSTV decoder into the RF input of the FTA reciever. After that connect the RF out of the FTA reciever to the input port of your signal booster. Install a 4-way splitter on the out port of the signal booster and send to each room.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Sophieamore1(f): 5:06pm On Sep 10, 2011
@ALL,
I ALWAYS PERCEIVED OLOFOFO TO BE VERY VIRTUOUS BUT AFTER THROWING PEOPLE OUT OF THE G UNIT, I DONT THINK HE DESERVES ANY CREDIT FOR ANYTHING.
UP TILL NOW HE HASNT STATED ANY REASON FOR THAT.

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (2353) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.