Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,442 members, 7,944,192 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 12:34 PM

Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! - Religion (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! (120818 Views)

The Solemnnity Of Christ The King, All Catholics Please Stand Up!!! / Why Do Catholics Pray With The Rosary, And Bow To Mary's Statue? / Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (155) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Carlosein(m): 6:34pm On Oct 26, 2007
una try well well o.

u see, it is very easy to come to any conclusion (especially that of pilgrim.1 above), if you take the parts of

the 15 promises of Our Mother Mary to christians who recite the rosary that she has picked out here, and moreso if

there is a dubious intention in mind.

below is the full 15 promises:

Blessed Alan de la Roche and Dominic the Prussian, revived the Rosary during the last quarter of the 15th century, after a period of about 100 years where the Rosary had been forgotten.  Thousands were inspired by Bl. Alan's claim that the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared to him, telling him to take up the work started by St. Dominic, the founder of Bl. Alan's own order.

The Blessed Virgin Mary gave Bl. Alan 15 promises from her for regularly praying the Rosary.  These promises are:

1.  Whoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the Rosary shall receive signal graces.

2.  I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the Rosary.

3.  The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against Hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies.

4.  It will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities and will lift them to the desire of eternal things.  Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.

5.  The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall not perish.

6.  Whoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its sacred mysteries, shall never be conquered by misfortune.  God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death; if he be just, he shall remain in the grace of God and become worthy of eternal life.

7.  Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the Sacraments of the Church.

8.  Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenitude of His graces; at the moment of death, they shall participate in the merits of the saints in Paradise.

9.  I shall deliver from Purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary.

10.  The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit high degree of glory in Heaven.

11.  You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the Rosary.

12.  All those who propagate the Holy Rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.

13.  I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors the entire Celestial Court during their life and at the hour of death.
14.  All who recite the Rosary are my sons, and brothers of my only Son, Jesus Christ.

15.  Devotion to my Rosary is a great sign of predestination.

Please note the ones in red italics dear people.

See, even Mary had recourse to God Almighty contrary to what these people will have us believe.

She (Mary) DOES NOT REPLACE GOD!!!
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by pilgrim1(f): 10:23pm On Oct 26, 2007
@Carlosein,

Hehehoho. . grin

I actually didn't expect anything more intelligent from you; but I can spare your drivel and still point out the things you're painfully trying to magically excuse in Catholicism.

See, even Mary had recourse to God Almighty contrary to what these people will have us believe.

She (Mary) DOES NOT REPLACE GOD!!!

I'm trying very hard to not mistake you for someone who tried to speak English and yet did not understand himself. Abeg, Carlosein, where did pilgrim.1 try to make you believe that Mary has "replaced" God? That the Vatican deceives you with "recourse" and "replace" does not mean that you're following their training closely enough to make a good priest! grin

Okay. . . gently now. . .

My questions have simply been these:

(1) Has Mary become "your God" (Isaiah 60:19) that Catholics should take the divine titles of God and ascribe them to HER?

Sure that does not sound like asking: "Has Mary REPLACED your God (Isaiah 60:19). . ." Grab the gist yet?? Cool.

(2) IS there proof or not that the Popes have indicated that they WORSHIP Mary - "heavenly mother"?

Carlosein, if you had simply answered that question and not scored "odo over 10", then you would have saved yourself that huge flash in the pan!

(3) Could Catholics please explain WHY the Popes and Bishops have called MARY the Saviour of the people of Rome (Salus Populi Romani)??

Your protest to that was simply about Mary having "recourse" to God, abi? I sorry for you - your journey to understanding still far - but I no go tire to pray for you as well.

Friend, open your eyes and SEE what is written in the 15 "promises" of the same 'heavenly mother' whom the Popes have said they WORSHIP:

5. The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary shall not perish.

9. I shall deliver from purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary.

11. You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the Rosary.

15. Devotion to my Rosary is a great sign of predestination (your salvation).

In other words, the VAtican MARY is asking you to look to her for YOUR SALVATION (which is not saying the same thing as "Look to CHRIST"wink - and you don't just have a clue what that is saying to the very WORD of God?!?

Carlosein, you really have not said anything as yet - and there just wasn't any need to cry alarm to your Parish online for nothing.

When you have real issues to effectively DENY that you WORSHIP Mary (as affirmed by your POPES), then I shall read from you.

Till then. .
Ciao! grin
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by ricadelide(m): 8:24pm On Oct 27, 2007
@pili,
How body smiley? In fact, you no easy on these guys at all. E ku ise naa. No cool down oh, just continue to dey yarn the truth. Make i add my own small contribu. . . . i probably will repeat many of the things you've already said.

@Carlosein and our other friends,
Your post is really funny; funny in the sense that it undermines the conclusions that you are trying to make; and its really unfortunate that you can't see that. However, it is good that its a catholic that put up those "promises" for all to see - so we can clearly examine the doctrines that come from your quarters.

A few things are obvious from your post:

(1) Examining the Mary
Those who claim that catholics are only HONOURING Mary (not worshipping her), like Pilgrim.1 has continually been letting you guys know, are not being very generous with the truth. Have you considered the first line of those promises

"Whoever shall faithfully SERVE ME by the recitation of the Rosary shall receive signal graces"

Have you guys actually considered who this so-called Mary is, even, that has so exalted herself as to so brazenly DEMAND worship via service and devotion?  Do you see any semblance with the very humble biblical Mary who in humility said to the angel to 'be it unto me according to your Word'? Is it the birth of Jesus that made her so brazen as to demand worship and to allude powers and abilities to herself that only God posseses (as manifested by the other 'promises')? This Mary of the catholic church is obviously beyond a place of mere honour, she is at the focal point, she is at the center of attention, and failure to see this really beats me. This Mary has powers that no human being has, this Mary can almost be said to be omnipotent - since she can even "deliver people from hell".

Do you also notice that this Mary has basically done everything the Lord Jesus might have had to do? "Promises" such as this clearly illustrate the central place this Mary has in catholic doctrine. She has specially protected her devotees(2), saved people from hell (3), delivered people from perishing(5), delivered people from purgatory(9), placed people in position of high glory in heaven (10) to mention a few.
It is only for the sake of 'having intercessors in life and in death' that this Mary even needs Jesus at all - at the thirteenth promise out of 15.
The burning question is; WHO IS THIS ROMAN CATHOLIC MARY?

Furthermore, here is the quagmire you guys have dragged yourselves into; if you claim to only be merely "HONOURING" this Mary, then you are clearly disobeying her - through those 'promises' the catholic Mary cleary DEMANDS WORSHIP and DEVOTION, and not giving in to those demands is disobedience to the requirements for attaining those 'signal graces' and the salvation promised by her. And claiming otherwise is really unprodcutive.
If on the other hand you acknowledge that catholicsm actually requires the worship of Mary, then you can readily see the Mariolatory that is inherent to the RCC and realize that you guys have strayed far far away from the Way, the Truth and the Life.
The Escape Door is wide open.

(2) Examining the Word of God
The other thing that is obvious is that anyone who holds to the doctrines of the RCC has to either completely jettison the bible or to at best relegate it to second fiddle and just use it as a document for the face value of claiming attachment to christianity when there really is none. It is no different from what other sects such as Mormons do with their bible.
All those acts that 'Mary' requires, including devotion to the rosary being the escape ticket from purgatory and the means of salvation, are diametrically opposed to the bible's teachings. And i really wonder if you would even bother to know what the bible's CLEAR doctrines about salvation are - considering that Mary has given you her promises that are attainable just by 'reciting the rosary'. In this case, it is clear that we can easily lump catholicsm together with islam and many of the other world religions that are based on the attainment on salvation by works.
Unfortunately (or fortunately as the case may be) for you guys, the bible is clear; and just one passage of the bible will be a good starting point to expose the falsehood of the so-called Mary's promises

"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast." (Eph 2;8-9)

So bros, there is no recitation of hail mary's, our fathers, and glory be's, that can deliver one from the wrath of God or bring one from darkness into light. All those actions constitute dead works before God. Neither is there is any other name given under heaven by which we must be saved. Mary is not, has never been, and will never be our Saviour. Even Mary herself needed to be saved. There is no human effort that can yeild fruit in this regard, except faith in the gospel.
Perhaps as you continually obey those requirements for attaining the promises, the futility of those actions will suddenly dawn on you by the Holy spirit. Ultimately, in my case, when i did recite those repitions (and many others) and God opened my eyes to see their eternal irrelevance was when i fled to take refuge in the saving grace of Christ; my prayer is that God will open you guys' eyes as well. Cheers.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by AKO1(m): 9:52pm On Oct 27, 2007
@ricadelide
that is a marvellous piece. Now I have a lot more to defend my stand against catholicism when I need to. You have intensified my hatred and abhorrence for a sect that magnifies a mere human being to the place of God.
doesn't mean I won't be tolerant, but my desire is that it's not too long before we true christians begin to do the works that Jesus did, and greater, and prove to the world that they have been wasting precious time. God bless you my brother.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 9:37am On Oct 29, 2007
Today's Saint

St. Narcissus of Jerusalem (d. 215)

Life in second- and third-century Jerusalem couldn’t have been easy, but St. Narcissus managed to live well beyond 100. Some even speculate he lived to 160.

Details of his life are sketchy, but there are many reports of his miracles. The miracle for which he is most remembered was turning water into oil for use in the church lamps on Holy Saturday when the deacons had forgotten to provide any.

We do know that Narcissus became bishop of Jerusalem in the late second century. He was known for his holiness, but there are hints that many people found him harsh and rigid in his efforts to impose church discipline. One of his many detractors accused Narcissus of a serious crime at one point. Though the charges against him did not hold up, he used the occasion to retire from his role as bishop and live in solitude. His disappearance was so sudden and convincing that many people assumed he had actually died.

Several successors were appointed during his years in isolation. Finally, Narcissus reappeared in Jerusalem and was persuaded to resume his duties. By then, he had reached an advanced age, so a younger bishop was brought in to assist him until his death.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by cgift(m): 9:40am On Oct 29, 2007
A_K_O:

@ricadelide
that is a marvellous piece. Now I have a lot more to defend my stand against catholicism when I need to. You have intensified my hatred and abhorrence for a sect that magnifies a mere human being to the place of God.
doesn't mean I won't be tolerant, but my desire is that it's not too long before we true christians begin to do the works that Jesus did, and greater, and prove to the world that they have been wasting precious time. God bless you my brother.

A_K_O,

please hate no one, abhor no one. They are God's creation and you have no right to hate but to love them. Hate their actions but love their persons. Telling them the truth dos not mean hating them bro.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 9:43am On Oct 29, 2007
Meditation of the Day
The spirit you received is the spirit of sons, and it makes us cry out, 'Abba, Father!'

Spirit of the living God, help us to know your presence within us.  Guide us in every step of our Christain lives; help us to be attentive to the work of the Father in our lives and to respond obediently to his commands. AMEN

Day by Day with Mary, the Mother of God
Blessed are you among women. Blessed, I say, because of the fullness of grace to be venerated in you; blessed, because of the greatness of the mercy to be bestowed by you; blessed, because of the majesty of the person who is to take flesh of you; blessed, because of the weight of glory which is to be accumulated in you.  ST.BONAVENTURE.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 9:47am On Oct 29, 2007
please hate no one, abhor no one. They are God's creation and you have no right to hate but to love them. Hate their actions but love their persons. Telling them the truth dos not mean hating them bro.

If A.K.O wants to hate he should go on and hate, you claim u know God or more righteous more than others like the pharisees but your action betray you. Hate and you will see urself landing in hell (Is not my prayer that you perish) but open your eyes to the truth and be saved. I will keep on saying it the Catholic church is full of truth is only if you will see, listen and believe.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 9:54am On Oct 29, 2007
TESTIMONY OF THE ROSARY

I have been out for a programme and in the course of this programme comes one of this testimony about the Rosary.

My brother in Christ was giving a testimony of how he got his deliverance in praying the Rosary.

He has been having an aweful dream lately, where he is been pursued by Masquerade, and he went to their mummy in Church to complain, they gave him prayers upon prayers which he said, but the dream persisted. It was in a dream one day that he was told that if only he can do just the sign of the cross even if he cannot finish the Rosary and immediately he began saying his Rosary, the dream ceased immediately.

Glory to Jesus!!! Honour to our Blessed Mother Mary!

So my brethren no matter what they say hold on to your faith
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 9:57am On Oct 29, 2007
Carlosein how you dey, you still get time to dey explain to people wey no wan understand you.
Abeg rest your case E don do.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 10:00am On Oct 29, 2007
Any name you like make you call me, shey na Cgift na him start am. I wonder wetin be him name self maybe na Etteh
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 10:05am On Oct 29, 2007
@viee
May the Almighty God who knows our inner most intention even before we pray meet you at the point of your need in Jesus name. AMEN

Jesus provides, Mary intercede
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by pilgrim1(f): 10:37am On Oct 29, 2007
Oby1,

How was your weekend? smiley

Oby1:

Em, where did you get the teaching that Mary intercedes? I know Catholics will believe anything that comes from the Vatican - even if the Popes have said that Catholics WORSHIP Mary. After all the denials, it seems quite a small fallacy to swallow that one on top of everything.

Divine intercession is not something that anyone can undertake - unless you want to confirm that Mary indeed has become "your God" (Isaiah 60:19). Let's remind ourserlves of God's truth about intercession with Him and bleach out this perennial heresy of the Vatican (na only God go open your eyes to see, though):

1. The Holy Spirit Intercedes for Believers

Romans 8:26
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Romans 8:27
And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

2. The Lord Jesus Christ Intercedes for Believers In the Presence of the Father

Romans 8:34
Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

Hebrews 7:25
Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

. . . but WHERE in God's WORD does Mary undertake DIVINE intercession for Christians?

3. Mary Intercedes - For Catholics according to the Bible:

Fill in the blank space above. grin
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by cgift(m): 11:59am On Oct 29, 2007
pilgrim.1:

3. Mary Intercedes - For Catholics according to the Bible:

Fill in the blank space above. grin

No be wetin bird chop hin go use fly? Wetin, she don chop from bible? nothing! may be the prist don tell am when she go confssion. Oya oby1, yan us. grin
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by viee(f): 12:03pm On Oct 29, 2007
Hello, Oby

How are ya?

Oby1:

@viee
May the Almighty God who knows our inner most intention even before we pray meet you at the point of your need in Jesus name. AMEN

A big Amen to that!!!

thank you so much, i really appreciate.

the october devotion will soon end, i cant stop thanking God for helping and guiding  me all the way.
i pray that the spirit of this devotion will remain with us as we go through life's many journey. . . .  Amen.

Nice day y'all

Glory To Jesus
Honour to Our Dear Mother Mary
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by pilgrim1(f): 12:11pm On Oct 29, 2007
viee:

Oby1 link=topic=75506.msg1627747#msg1627747 date=1193648742:

A big Amen to that!!!

Make una take style dey look before you shout 'Amen' to open heresy! Mary does not intercede for nobody!! grin
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 12:27pm On Oct 29, 2007
The Amen wey we dey answer and our prayers are granted (Abi na u dey grant all that request)

Jesus provides!!! Mother Mary Provides

(If e dey vex una, na sorry bi una name) Na so e go continue till thy kingdom come.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by pilgrim1(f): 1:11pm On Oct 29, 2007
Oby1:

The Amen wey we dey answer and our prayers are granted (Abi na u dey grant all that request)

How can Vatican ever make me take the position of MARIOLATRY? grin Them know say any attempt to bring that one near me - that would be the end of the Vatican magic.

Oby1:

Jesus provides!!! Mother Mary Provides

You see yourself now? From Mary "intercedes" to now "provides" - just as Jesus does! Na small-small una dey confirm the thing wey pilgrim.1 dey talk all this while! Una MARIOLATRY no get rival. grin
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Carlosein(m): 2:14pm On Oct 29, 2007
Oby1:

Carlosein how you dey, you still get time to dey explain to people wey no wan understand you.
Abeg rest your case E don do.

my brother thank you and i don hear. how are you and hope all is well.

@viee

i am still with you all the way.

Ave Maria.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 3:03pm On Oct 29, 2007
You see yourself now? From Mary "intercedes" to now "provides
You know is typographical error

Jesus Provide!!! Mother Mary intercedes
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by pilgrim1(f): 3:08pm On Oct 29, 2007
Oby1:

You know is typographical error

Okay, I hear. grin We all make typos, don't we?

Enjoy.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by lawyer(m): 2:41am On Oct 30, 2007
ok i get your point that you guys are totally pissed with the whole mary interceding for catholics concept designed by the vatican and as one commentator on this board put it succiently, without the issue of mary as the fore runner of the catholic faith, there would be no Rcc.

But look deeply again, if the mariotary tendences were totally expunged as you crave for, does that mean people would no longer go to the catholic church and hear the word of God? You guys make it sound like 24/7 catholics only talk about mary interceding and they dont read their bibles and do other things that the bible tells us to do.

Besides, 85% of catholics dont even know what your talking about the past speeches of the popes dead and present and the politics of the vatican. They are just interested in the masses they attend and the thanksgiving at the end. So much of these intellectual speeches about the rcc, doesnt really hold water in a typical african catholic church. Just the way an american protestant church has it's ways and dealings of it's church, is totally different from the way african protestant ministers operate. The key word amongst both churches is that, they believe in God and christ is our saviour and we all want to go to heaven. They mode and manner we all achieve our final aspiration using the bible as a footnote is left to each individual to pursue.

All these criticisms against the rcc is just over the top and mind you, we are all learning and sharing experiences about the best mode and manner to seek eternal life, be it the buddists, muslims, tibetan monks, protestants or rcc faithfuls. The pope is just human like everyone else and the chances of you making heaven before him is known to only God. So let's shealth our swords and spread the gospel and stop picking on fellow christians. It's this kind of put down syndrome that people of other faiths poke and make fun of christianity as not being a united front.

While you might go on about the excesses of the rcc and it's flagrant abuse of history and cover ups and pointing accusing fingers at everything catholic, remember your also doing the same thing that you aborh so much about the catholic church by also propagating and castigating another religious organization. 2 wrongs dont make a right and health discuss shouldnt be confused with mock me down syndrome.

P.s: what happened to the freedom of religion as expounded in the 1999 constitution of Nigeria?
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 12:55pm On Oct 30, 2007
Ka Chineke mezi okwu
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 1:11pm On Oct 30, 2007
Today's Saint

St. Alphonsus Rodriguez (c. 1533-1617)

Tragedy and challenge beset today’s saint early in life, but Alphonsus Rodriguez found happiness and contentment through simple service and prayer.

Born in Spain in 1533, Alphonsus inherited the family textile business at 23. Within the space of three years, his wife, daughter and mother died; meanwhile, business was poor. Alphonsus stepped back and reassessed his life. He sold the business and, with his young son, moved into his sisters’ home. There he learned the discipline of prayer and meditation.

Years later, at the death of his son, Alphonsus, almost 40 by then, sought to join the Jesuits. He was not helped by his poor education. He applied twice before being admitted. For 45 years he served as doorkeeperat the Jesuits’ college in Majorca. When not at his post, hewas almost always at prayer, though he often encountered difficulties and temptations.

His holiness and prayerfulness attracted many to him, including St. Peter Claver, then a Jesuit seminarian. Alphonsus’s life as doorkeeper may have been humdrum, but he caught the attention of poet and fellow-Jesuit Gerard Manley Hopkins, who made him the subject of one of his poems.

Alphonsus died in 1617. He is the patron saint of Majorca.

Meditation of the Day
The whole creation is eagerly waiting for God to reveal his sons (Rom 8:18)

Day by Day with Mary, the Mother of God
Praise the Lord in his holy ones, say the scriptures. If our Lord is to be praised in those holy ones through whom he brings to being deeds of power and miracles, how much more is he to be praised in her in whom he fashioned himself, who is wonderful beyond all wonders. ST. AELRED.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Carlosein(m): 7:59pm On Oct 30, 2007
@lawyer,

oh, you just wasted a very good speech (infact an excellent one).

but now watch what will happen, this pple will give it some time to die down so no one notices.

then, they'll continue as if you never even touched your keyboard.

you'll still see MARIOLOTARY as sure as ever.

well good to read from you again. take care.

Hail Mary, daughter of God Father, Pray for us.

Hail Mary, Mother of God the Son, Pray for us.

Hail Mary, Spouse of God the Holy Spirit, Pray for us.

Greater than you, none but God!!!
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 9:42am On Oct 31, 2007
Today's Saint 31.10.07

St. Wolfgang of Regensburg (c. 924-994)

Wolfgang was born in Swabia, Germany, and was educated at a school located at the abbey of Reichenau. There he encountered Henry, a young noble who went on to become Archbishop of Trier. Meanwhile, Wolfgang remained in close contact with the archbishop, teaching in his cathedral school and supporting his efforts to reform the clergy.

At the death of the archbishop, Wolfgang chose to become a Benedictine monk and moved to an abbey in Einsiedeln, now part of Switzerland. Ordained a priest, he was appointed director of the monastery school there. Later he was sent to Hungary as a missionary, though his zeal and good will yielded limited results.

Emperor Otto II appointed him Bishop of Regensburg (near Munich). He immediately initiated reform of the clergy and of religious life, preaching with vigor and effectiveness and always demonstrating special concern for the poor. He wore the habit of a monk and lived an austere life.

The draw to monastic life never left him, including the desire for a life of solitude. At one point he left his diocese so that he could devote himself to prayer, but his responsibilities as bishop called him back.

In 994 he became ill while on a journey; he died in Puppingen near Linz, Austria. His feast day is celebrated widely in much of central Europe. He was canonized in 1052.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 10:47am On Oct 31, 2007
The October devotion ends today, we should still continue everyday with our Rosary.  The manifestation of God's blessing will make us smile all through out this year and also the coming year and with the intercession of our Blessed Mother we are sure.

"The Rosary, is a contemplative prayer and, a powerful form of intercession: Indeed, whoever recites it is united with Mary in meditating on the mysteries of Christ and is led to ask her for the grace of these same mysteries in the various situations of life".  POPE JOHN PAUL II
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by viee(f): 4:18pm On Oct 31, 2007
Glory Glory to Jesus
Honour Honour to Mary

@ lawyer,

it is obvoius some people are in love with the Vatican, so
let them enjoy!
when Pilgrim asks questions about the Holy Catholic Church, she wants refrences from the Holy Bible
but when she want to explain some thing she believes in, she makes refrence to wikipedia. . . . .

no point going any further, is there?

Carlosein, thank you my brother
i pray for you too,
my the Good Lord continue to guide us
and our Mother Mary continue to pray for us all at all times. . . . . Amen.

Oby1:

The October devotion ends today, we should still continue everyday with our Rosary. The manifestation of God's blessing will make us smile all through out this year and also the coming year and with the intercession of our Blessed Mother we are sure.

"The Rosary, is a contemplative prayer and, a powerful form of intercession: Indeed, whoever recites it is united with Mary in meditating on the mysteries of Christ and is led to ask her for the grace of these same mysteries in the various situations of life". POPE JOHN PAUL II

Amen Oby!

i couldnt have said it better.

Glory to Jesus
Honour to Mary
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by luckyCO(m): 7:10pm On Oct 31, 2007
I think the person that posted this thread is asking for Catholics to share their knowledge of what they ve learnt in their various endavour as a catholic, why this sudden rush on our approach as if we are religious ominipotents?. There are many questions we on this contemporary age supposed to ask ourselfs and they are thus;

No 1 : Why all those people who called themselves Good ministers of God teach different things(Priets,Pastors Evangelists,Ministers although they use the same Bible?

No 2: Where these allegations about different sects in christianity heading the christain community to as a viable united body of christ if not creating more hatred among children of God?

No 3: Does it mean christianity is not body Christ since it entertains disparities, confusion and disagreement when it gets to doctrine?

No 4: Does it mean that no good man in among about 1.1billion scattered all over the world who can stand Catholic, list and educate them where they are worshiping mary if they are?

No 5: If the issue of worshiping mary has come into the doctrine. I think am the best person to take charge of any act of mine. If am doing what is wrong which God made written in me to know that am doing, Is it not my cup of tea?
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by luckyCO(m): 7:25pm On Oct 31, 2007
If u mean that what they do (Catholics) looks like they are worshiping mary fine and good that is ur opinion. I believe sharing this type of view to me is a means of instituting hatred and war among other christian sect.

This happens in some states, some people will say it is only protestant will rule the state while others will say it is only catholic but not who is good. Eg. According to information gotten; when ABC Nwosu wanted to be Govr of Anambra State, Ekwueme disqualifies him because his is Catholic and endorsed Mbadinuju who cause educational and moral decadence in the state.
This is one of the reasons and impact of sharing this type of religious feelings which are aimed at helping nobody, there are many more which are happening scretely but you wont know.

Believe me , there is nothing you will say here against Mary that will helpful towards holiness to either Catholics and Protestants.

We are getting it wrong. I have said it many times, shout from now till you die, you cannot change the mind of Catholic scatered all over the world on what they believe in. You may only be punished by God for doing what is inappriopriately.
Sometimes people think that they are preaching the word of God instead they are telling the world the number of Bible versus they can quote. When u look at their talk it will be filled with knowledge that lack wisdom.

Consider how Christ's preaching,paul and others, they preached with simplicity and love, correct with simplicity and love because they have holy spirit guiding them. But now it is different.

We should mind what we say about religion in our family,work places,discussion classes becos that determine people feeling on those sect.

Imagine an anglican and Catholic who said they never know that the other can do what is good because for so long they ve being hearing bad things from the other party.It is because of what their priest and pastor have being saying/preaching about the religion.

Finally, if this thread doesnt meant reasonable for you just back out for you are making noise here and you cant to finish catholic with talk and go home to celebrate that you have achieved a goal.

He how crucify his brother because of religion will soon get the feel of the heat when satan petards!

Cheers!
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by Oby1(f): 8:30am On Nov 01, 2007
Today's Saint

Feast of All Saints

The earliest certain observance of a feast in honor of all the saints is an early fourth-century commemoration of "all the martyrs." In the early seventh century, after successive waves of invaders plundered the catacombs, Pope Boniface IV gathered up some 28 wagonloads of bones and reinterred them beneath the Pantheon, a Roman temple dedicated to all the gods. The pope rededicated the shrine as a Christian church. According to Venerable Bede, the pope intended "that the memory of all the saints might in the future be honored in the place which had formerly been dedicated to the worship not of gods but of demons" (On the Calculation of Time).

But the rededication of the Pantheon, like the earlier commemoration of all the martyrs, occurred in May. Many Eastern Churches still honor all the saints in the spring, either during the Easter season or immediately after Pentecost.

How the Western Church came to celebrate this feast in November is a puzzle to historians. The Anglo-Saxon theologian Alcuin observed the feast on November 1 in 800, as did his friend Arno, Bishop of Salzburg. Rome finally adopted that date in the ninth century.

“After this I had a vision of a great multitude, which no one could count, from every nation, race, people, and tongue. They stood before the throne and before the Lamb, wearing white robes and holding palm branches in their hands, [One of the elders] said to me, ‘These are the ones who have survived the time of great distress; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb’” (Revelation 7:9,14).
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! by viee(f): 11:13am On Nov 01, 2007
Sing along!

o when the saints, o when the saints
go marching in, go marching
o when the saints go marching in. . . . Alleluia
Lord I want to be in that number
o when the saints go marching in . . . . .

o when the drums, o when the drums
begin to beat, begin to beat
o when the drum begin to beat. . . . . . Alleluia
Lord, I want to be among the dancers
o when the drums begin to beat

Happy All Hallows Day!

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (155) (Reply)

Top 5 Largest Church Auditoriums In Nigeria (photos) / Anita Oyakhilome Remarries - Dawn-To-Dusk News / Ancient Black Buddha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.