Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,939 members, 7,969,875 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 03:55 PM

Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University (27753 Views)

See Covenant University Mobile Phone Outlaw Undertaking / Help! He Passed But Is Been Denied Admission / UTME: Over One Million Will Be Denied admission – Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by udezue(m): 6:48am On Sep 30, 2011
@Betathings, if u are not ready to convert to a particular faith then u have no business attending a school such faith. He lied on his application that is enough. The school didn't take his money or anything.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by BetaThings: 6:48am On Sep 30, 2011
udezue:

Okay, first of all he lied on his application so the school has grounds to deny him based on that. U are not supposed to lie or deceive any institution in order to get admitted.

2nd, it is a private Christian school hence it has the right admit people based on religion. Its not govt owned public institution. Its private hence it has a right to enjoy its autonomy.

3rd, how many Christian or non-muslim are admitted in any Islamic school out there? I am sure the criteria before admission will be to convert to Islam immediately or lose admission.

People should stop hyperventilating over nothing.

If the father sues he will surely lose so they should suck it up and look for a public school or private Islamic school.

Imagine a Xtian school where Muslims will take breaks to do their prayers. Haha The school can deny Hindus, Buddhists, Jewish people admission if they deem fit.

That is actually contrary to the law

udezue:

Okay, first of all he lied on his application so the school has grounds to deny him based on that. U are not supposed to lie or deceive any institution in order to get admitted.

2nd, it is a private Christian school hence it has the right admit people based on religion. Its not govt owned public institution. Its private hence it has a right to enjoy its autonomy.

3rd, how many Christian or non-muslim are admitted in any Islamic school out there? I am sure the criteria before admission will be to convert to Islam immediately or lose admission.

Have you confirmed? There are muslim schools in my neighbourhood. They happily accept christian students
BTW, universities in Nigeria are based on unified admission (UME) system. That goes to confirm that the schools don't specify these things

udezue:

Are you sure he lied? False witness is a sin.  Think about this. Both JAMB and NUC would not allow CU to put in the JAMB brochure their discriminatory admission policy. They can only resort into traps to weed out non-christians. Do you actually believe that the boy will put Muslim/Anglican?
The father denied putting it there. I am ALMOST certain that they left that sect portion blank. Of course CU could have put in Anglican to strengthen their case
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by BetaThings: 6:51am On Sep 30, 2011
udezue:

@Betathings, if u are not ready to convert to a particular faith then u have no business attending a school such faith. He lied on his application that is enough. The school didn't take his money or anything.
1. Who says? (the school part and the lie part)
2. Why can you not understudy your "rivals"?
3. Why did my Christian friend insist that I should be his bestman at his church wedding?
4. Why do my Christian friends insist on "praying for me for my heart to be touched?"
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Nobody: 7:18am On Sep 30, 2011
One reason Boko Haram should consider Convenant university grin
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Dawdy(m): 7:22am On Sep 30, 2011
Never will the jews nor the christians be pleased with you till you follow their religion, say "verily the guidiance of Allah is true guidiance. [ALquran 2:120]
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Nobody: 7:29am On Sep 30, 2011
I really don't have a problem with Yoruba muslims: they certainly aren't belligerent and fanatical like the Northern animals. But then why is Covenant University such a do or die affair for the boy and his parents? Must he attend Covenant University? Since he's such a proud muslim, why not consider Crescent University - a muslim private university? Even though I detest that [b]Ole[/b]depo of a man and his Covenant business, I must however concede that they have the right to exclude muslim students if that would make them have peace of mind; forget NUC anti-discriminatory regulations. There are several alternatives for the boy to consider. If his parents keep making noise, then it might seem that there is an ulterior motive.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Pukkah: 7:32am On Sep 30, 2011
udezue:

3rd, how many Christian or non-muslim are admitted in any Islamic school out there? I am sure [/b]the criteria before admission will be to convert to Islam immediately or lose admission.

You can't be [b]sure.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by BetaThings: 7:35am On Sep 30, 2011
diluminati:

One reason Boko Haram should consider Convenant university  grin
This matter is not really funny. Don't put ideas in their minds. Those guys are heartless and countless innocent people will suffer
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by BetaThings: 7:52am On Sep 30, 2011
udezue:

Muslims don't have that criterion. Infact that was the policy of early christian missionaries who insisted that muslim students should convert, otherwise no school for them. Some they allowed to go to school but now on silent conversion. It was actually easy to convert young minds by telling us about Mary Slessor. No mention is made of atrocities of the slavers.

This conversion of muslim students was actually part of the historical origin of "Boko Haram" which as a concept has been around (and without violence) for more than 60years
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by brainpulse: 8:09am On Sep 30, 2011
i AM A CHRISTIAN, I BELIEVE MORALLY THIS IS NOT RIGHT. LET US LIVE RELIGIOUS SENTIMENT OUT OF IT, IT IS JUST NOT RIGHT
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by islamrules(m): 8:21am On Sep 30, 2011
You people always cry foul all the time. You are terrorising the whole planet, yet, its not enough for you.

You still cry for being cheated.

Na wa for you oo

CU belongs to Winner Chapel and not Nigeria government.
It is purely Christian. If they say they dont want you muslims (why cant you go to Islamic school), afterall you claim western education is haram.

Please leave christianity alone.

It is being funded by Christian tithes and offerings. Are muslims paying tithe ?

This is a non-issue.

And the state of security in Nigeria (boko-haram), I think its high time christians need to be careful.

Kudos Oyedepo
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Nobody: 8:36am On Sep 30, 2011
Western education is a sin
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by ektbear: 8:38am On Sep 30, 2011
You should be able to do whatever you like with your private property I guess.

But this seems very wrong to me.

Wrong and unnecessarily divisive.

Whites can go to HBCUs these days, men can go to Wellesley or Wheaton, etc.

I don't think religious discrimination is a good idea, legal or not.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by rman: 8:42am On Sep 30, 2011
I am suprised and disappointed in those saying why will a muslim go to a christian school?  It goes to show we are not better than those we call religious bigots
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by iv4real(f): 8:46am On Sep 30, 2011
Its very sad to hear people say its okay not to admit the boy because he is a muslim. And people wonder why Nigeria is still this backward.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Abujabir24: 8:47am On Sep 30, 2011
Wat a useless and stupid admission officer. Wat wil even make d parents take their child to a covenant uni owned by a christian? Me personally i cnt go 2 a chrisitian uni bcuz i wunt feel free to perform my religion. I heard 1 of d stdnts whom is a muslim saying dat they hav 2 hide b4 dey offer prayer. Its d boys fault nd d parents. They shld go to al-hikmah university or islamic uni in Katsina.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Nobody: 8:52am On Sep 30, 2011
lakhadimar:

Western education is a sin
Boko harams are here already ! grin
@topic
It's totally wrong and uncalled because yorubas don't discriminate on religion basis.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by islamrules(m): 8:53am On Sep 30, 2011
I am suprised and disappointed in those saying why will a muslim go to a christian school?  It goes to show we are not better than those we call religious bigots

What is cat doing in the lake. When it get drown, it will blame the fish.

Whenever a muslim in a christian school get offended religiously, he blame bigotry.

Why cant cat leave water for the fish ?

Last month,

A muslim family were beaten and molested by American police.

Why?
This family went to a gymn and it is written on the wall of the place, that headties, scarfs, caps, hats are not allowed.

These muslims family went with Hijab/nicab and the authority told them to leave or remove the hijab.

These muslims started quarelling with these officials and labeled them bigot (your language now meaning anti-islam).

Whereas they read the instruction before going in.

Police came to stop them, they transfered these anger on the police, and the police called for backup.

"Bigot" is a word being misused to protect islam.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by islamrules(m): 8:55am On Sep 30, 2011
Wat a useless and silly admission officer. Wat wil even make d parents take their child to a covenant uni owned by a christian? Me personally i cnt go 2 a chrisitian uni bcuz i wunt feel free to perform my religion. I heard 1 of d stdnts whom is a muslim saying dat they hav 2 hide b4 dey offer prayer. Its d boys fault nd d parents. They shld go to al-hikmah university or islamic uni in Katsina.

Thank you Abduljabir24,
You said my mind. And what you said is the bitter truth muslims need to face!
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by ajekpaks(m): 8:57am On Sep 30, 2011
Abujabir24:

Wat a useless and silly admission officer. Wat wil even make d parents take their child to a covenant uni owned by a christian? Me personally i cnt go 2 a chrisitian uni bcuz i wunt feel free to perform my religion. I heard 1 of d stdnts whom is a muslim saying dat they hav 2 hide b4 dey offer prayer. Its d boys fault nd d parents. They shld go to al-hikmah university or islamic uni in Katsina.

Exactly!!! hold that thought of yours, That's exactly why the dude was not given audition, That mindset you got there, so you go no right to blame him for that,

If I was him I would not only deny him admission, I'd make sure his ass is fried, give them admission and let them go infiltrate the christians and teach them how to make bomb,

I don't care jare you think if the tables were turned it would happen how?

ordinary ABU Zaria, go and see what is happpening there, if your name don't have an Ahmed, or a mustapha or amina or some stupid hausa/Muslim name no you chance of getting admission is em, em, 1%

Weldone joor, angry angry angry angry
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by ajekpaks(m): 9:00am On Sep 30, 2011
islamrules:

You people always cry foul all the time. You are terrorising the whole planet, yet, its not enough for you.

You still cry for being cheated.

Na wa for you oo

CU belongs to Winner Chapel and not Nigeria government.
It is purely Christian. If they say they dont want you muslims (why cant you go to Islamic school), afterall you claim western education is haram.

Please leave christianity alone.

It is being funded by Christian tithes and offerings. Are muslims paying tithe ?

This is a non-issue.

And the state of security in Nigeria (boko-haram), I think its high time christians need to be careful.

Kudos Oyedepo

Abi oh, youbusy bombing the whole country and you say them should not be careful abi, edeymadt abi??
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by foreman: 9:00am On Sep 30, 2011
Not sure of NUC regulations yet but I wonder why muslim parents would even consider an anti-muslim institution. To even go to christian university in Europe or America is better.

Paying that big amount to a common[b] thief[/b] seems unwise to me.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Drlumi: 9:02am On Sep 30, 2011
I don't support this at all. I think it is even 'unchristian'.

Yet, I can't but say that it is inevitable because that is what we are driving Nigeria to. When defending a policy like Islamic Banking (that simply could have been non-interest Banking), many people claimed that Christians had universities and so on. We are, by our policies and laws, deliberately dividing this country further on the lines of religion. If I have to call myself a "Mallam" to gain a loan from a bank because it is "Islamic", then perhaps, you should have to call yourself an "Anglican" to gain admission to a school because it is "Christian".

I don't support it. But Nigeria claims to be non-biased on the basis of religion and then in the same breadth, we encourage one over another. It's unfortunate.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Poundstan: 9:05am On Sep 30, 2011
Whether Muslim or Christian/Jew we all are from Abraham/Ibrahim. Distrimination my foot. Mr. man please take it up i concur with you.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Nobody: 9:06am On Sep 30, 2011
I can see lies in this story,  undecided
There is no faculty that offers education in Covenant University, So saying that The only place where you can get space is Education is an obvious lie.
2. I have three friends who were Muslims and they finished from CU without any qualms or problem.
3. If at all i decide to believe the story which i don't, the boy should have been honest in the filling of the application form
4. No 1 has ever won a case against Winners Chapel in the court of law. because they always av well documented details to back up their cases. Ask anyone, I know more than enough on that
5. Due to the fact that people always attack winners chapel to dent or cause a form of slander or controversy, you make them more popular and successful that way. The more controversy surrounding a successful person, the more height he/she attains.
6. CU is not government owned, And they have the support of the regulating body and the government.
7. My advice for them is to go down there apologize and try to see the Bishop himself to intervene. That's if they would ever let them in anyway.
8. Hypocrisy would not get any of you anywhere. You pray at home and attend church services on Sundays and come here to form I don't care attitude so that you would seem popular here on N/L,, Well remember this [size=16pt]Your life is not urs, The owner can ask for it anytime, Where do you wanna spend eternity for The bible says If you deny me here on earth, i would deny you before my father in heaven[/size]
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by JimmyBoy1: 9:07am On Sep 30, 2011
I can't really judge here, because all we have here is an account from one side and it is only a fool that judge based on that. However , I will quickly express my opinion on some salient points.

1. That several muslims where educated by Christian Missi
2. Bible shows that the best way to make people to accept our faith is to show them love and compassion, Jesus exmplified this in several instances.
3. It will be wrong to deny anybody admission on the basis of his faith, in as much that the faith is not against peace and generaly acceptable norms.
4. Any student enrolling in a school must be ready to abide by their rules, however this excludes forceful worship.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by maasoap(m): 9:26am On Sep 30, 2011
Everywhere I visit in Nigeria, it is all sentiments, sentiments and sentiments. Christians are opposing introduction of Islamic Banking in Nigeria because they believe the operators may refuse to give loan to Christians but the same Christians are okay with Muslim students being denied admission at Convenant Uni. This is what we call Double Standard. We can't keep fanning fire of intolerance and still keep saying we want it be put out. If you support this incidence, it means you support discrimination primarily caused by religious intolerance.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Jarus(m): 9:31am On Sep 30, 2011
tpia@:

what's wrong with the federal universities?

Exactly my thought.

He's brilliant. They are good Muslims. Let him go to OAU, Ife, religious-neutral federal university where you practice your religion freely, interact with as many groups of people as you're comfortable with, learn under the best of conditions etc.

To me OAU is one of the best cosmopolitan environment you can learn in Nigeria and, dare I say, a better and cheaper school than Covenant.

I went to OAU and came out better in all ramifications, even in religiousity.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by veron007: 9:40am On Sep 30, 2011
Guys let get this straight. The school is a Christian university own by a church. They have the right to refuse admission to anybody who is not christian.
The only fault am seeing here is that they should make about their values public from the beginning. This is a private venture not some government institution.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Okijajuju1(m): 9:48am On Sep 30, 2011
This is what you get in a country where the law is just alot of words written on a piece of paper.

Convenant University does not have the right to reject a student based on his/her religous affiliation. For a Kid who aced every entrance test, the fact that he wrote islam/anglican shouldnt even count.

This is the same thing they did with the discrimination against people living with H.I.V and no one said anything.

They expelled students simply because they didnt bring their bibles to church/they didnt attend church and nobody said anything.

They expelled pregnant students from their school and still nobody says anything,

If any of these had happened in a federal or state university, the V.C's head would be on a stake right now. The darn form (which I believe is a referee form) was duly filled out by an Imam so whats the big deal?! Its not like the school was a school of theology (even that shouldnt be a problem). Convenant University is a higher learning institution and not a branch of Winners chapel "Sunday School". The earlier parents come to realize that you cant mix education with religion, the earlier this convenant Uni problem would cease.

If a muslim was denied admission, then an Atheist or traditional worshipper would be blacklisted.

For the amount parents pay to CU in fees, why not take your wards across the border to Ghana where they can get really good quality education devoid of all the religous shinanigans
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Nobody: 9:56am On Sep 30, 2011
i am a xtian. Its bad to deny sumbody admission based on his religion. Besides d fact dat nuc guidelines does not allow it, the constitution which is d grund-norm of all laws, institutional guidelines & legislation in d land forbids discrimination by sex or religion. If CU is allowed to go away wit this, den very soon students may be discriminated by their hiv status, skin colour(albino), tribe and the likes, Wht message ar they sendin to livin faith xtians and muslims who live in the same neigbourhood, Its unfair, unconstitutional, ungodly, unconventional, uncivilised, divisive and it clearly shows dat CU cannot cope wt modern realities,
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Nobody: 10:09am On Sep 30, 2011
Point of correction here , it is not a theological university but a private university owned by a christian body. Discriminating against anyone based on religion is totally wrong.
I don't even know what the boy sees in the school sef when there are schools like U.I , Ife , UNN , Benin and co.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Hijab: Lagos State Government Released Circular To enforce Court Judgement / Ayuba Abdullahi: Kwara University Deputy Bursar Dies Watching Super Eagles AFCON / Bad State Of OAU Halls Of Residence (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.