Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,319 members, 7,940,269 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 09:09 PM

Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University (27514 Views)

See Covenant University Mobile Phone Outlaw Undertaking / Help! He Passed But Is Been Denied Admission / UTME: Over One Million Will Be Denied admission – Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Nobody: 10:12am On Sep 30, 2011
I'm a christian,and this post has left such a bitter taste in my mouth for CU.Are they the only christian university,for crying out loud?why are they the only ones on media for carrying out ridiculous acts.Jeez,i'm beginning to hate that skool.Mschewwwwww.rubbish!
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:14am On Sep 30, 2011
the school prolly shouldnt have. thats one "soul" lost for christ grin grin grin grin grin grin

but, are the muslims going to start M.S.S., and build a mosque or set aside a space to pray 5 times a day right in the middle of a church owned, religious bigot populated and administered school?

when at the beginning we spoke out against this stoopid idea of privately run schools being run in the mould of CU and Redeemers etc, we were shouted down. shey u can now see the result?

I feel pity for religious types. your lives are simply a confused mess.

THE SCHOOL SHOULD ADMIT THE BOI SHARPLY. let somebody introduce division and rancour sharply. they are having it too easy sef.

there is no reason why Covenant University/ Redeemers University should not have the following.

1. A mosque with a large minaret and a very loud loudspeaker for calling adhan
2. Male students with long beards and 3/4 length shorts called trousers.
3. Female students in Hijab/full Ninja
4. special provision for halal foods for the muslims
5. at the regular programmes, the pastor should lead the prayers, then an IMAM should also recite whatever it is they recite.
6. lectures must be halted at regular intervals to enable the muslim student observe their prayers.
7. open air crusades by both christian and muslim sects, obviously with full permission to "attack" the unbelievers

pls help me fill in the rest.

but then i also need to ask this questions:

1. why is the NASFAT run school not a viable option? do they have cults there? is the education there substandard?

2. what would the parents say if they discover after a session that their much loved son is converted to a bible thumping christian with blazing fervour? (those types are usually the best grin grin grin grin)

3. Does the school run by NASFAT admit christian students? if so, are they afforded the full rights to exercise their religious beliefs?

i find it amusing that the parents are fighting tooth and nail to go put their son in a christian school.
i believe i have heard that the dress code is stipulated, religious activities mandated etc? those are according to christian ethos i believe

that is what those schools are CHRISTIAN SCHOOLS, and they are run in that mould.

BUNCHA CONFUSED PEOPLE
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:25am On Sep 30, 2011
pinckies:

I'm a christian,and this post has left such a bitter taste in my mouth for CU.Are they the only christian university,for crying out loud?why are they the only ones on media for carrying out ridiculous acts.Jeez,i'm beginning to hate that skool.Mschewwwwww.rubbish!

err, u didnt have this bitter taste when you were told the school is owned by a pastor cum church?
when you were told tertiary education students were to have a dress code and own a bible compulsorily?
when you were told the students were mandated to practice christian practices and attend christian religious events?

those are'nt "ridiculous" acts but this one is?

torhuke:

i am a xtian. Its bad to deny sumbody admission based on his religion. Besides d fact dat nuc guidelines does not allow it, the constitution which is d grund-norm of all laws, institutional guidelines & legislation in d land forbids discrimination by sex or religion. If CU is allowed to go away wit this, den very soon students may be discriminated by their hiv status, skin colour(albino), tribe and the likes, Wht message ar they sendin to livin faith xtians and muslims who live in the same neigbourhood, Its unfair, unconstitutional, ungodly, unconventional, uncivilised, divisive and it clearly shows dat CU cannot cope wt modern realities,

does the constitution allow religious organisations and bigots to start schools run in religious mode?
does the constitution afford the right to practice a religion and practice it in a way u deem fit?

how come you have all suddenlywoken up to see the idiocy of giving so much leeway to you pastors, imams, and religious organisations.
how many alleluias have u shouted today? or allahu akbar? (cos i have to be balanced here)

islamrules:

What is cat doing in the lake. When it get drown, it will blame the fish.

Whenever a muslim in a christian school get offended religiously, he blame bigotry.

Why cant cat leave water for the fish ?

Last month,

A muslim family were beaten and molested by American police.

Why?
This family went to a gymn and it is written on the wall of the place, that headties, scarfs, caps, hats are not allowed.

These muslims family went with Hijab/nicab and the authority told them to leave or remove the hijab.

These muslims started quarelling with these officials and labeled them bigot (your language now meaning anti-islam).

Whereas they read the instruction before going in.

Police came to stop them, they transfered these anger on the police, and the police called for backup.

"Bigot" is a word being misused to protect islam

i doubt if islam needs protection. its doing fine all by its self, and of course a few exploding turbans and underpants grin grin grin
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Kabikala(m): 10:27am On Sep 30, 2011
While on the surface it may appear discriminatory to deny Muslim students admission to Covenant University, we need to put ourselves in the place of the CU Management.

You offer several Muslim students admission and before you know it they want to form Muslim Students Society. And then they want a separate location for their prayers. And they want the school time-table modified to allow them pray five times daily. Then they would want to build a mosque. And then they want to have Jihad week and invite El Zak-Zaky as their guest lecturer. And they can wear T-shirts with "I love Osama" inscription. And every male begins to spot a beard, and the females gets covered in black from head to toe.

On the other hand, if CU decides to offer them admission and insist they must attend church services several times a week like every of their student does, we will all come here and shout discrimination.

Let the guy go to Fountain University in Oshogbo, Al-Hikma in Ilorin or Crescent in Abeokuta. Or government-owned University.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by musiwa48: 10:40am On Sep 30, 2011
i disagree. i believe the young man should be given admission because it is his business if he decide he want to go to a christain university. You dont know if the young man will become born again in there. and God allows everyone in.

The school may have adminstrative christain rule but can not be seen discriminating against anyone base on any ground.

The reason he may have been rejected may not be because he is a muslim but for other reason. i am not sure.

the university must have a open door policy on admission. even while it keep its moral value.

if the young man has this good score, he should be encourage not discourage. i think the young man parent should go back to the school. i am sure the school will correct the mistake. the way it is done here. they sign undertaken stating they know the value of the school.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by musiwa48: 10:41am On Sep 30, 2011
it is the young man decision to go to a christain school and that decision should be respected.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Sacarstic: 10:43am On Sep 30, 2011
In my opinion i dont think it is right for the young boy to be denied admission on religious ground, If the school knows that they cannot cope with Muslim students then they should state it clearly on their website so that Students from other religions will not waste their time applying, only to be denied admission at the end. But if they can prove beyond reasonable doubt that he lied while filling his form then he has erred in that regards and can be denied admission on that ground (Moral ground). Young ones should be morally upright no matter the situation they find themselves and his Father knows the (moral values )standard of this school which made him to choose it for his son as his first choice.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by otokx(m): 10:44am On Sep 30, 2011
Does the guy not have second choice?
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by bright007(f): 10:46am On Sep 30, 2011
*the comments here are hilarious* but frankly speakly,this problem was as å result of d boy's parent ulterior motives.Common sense should have made them know dat sending their son to CU will in one way or d other divert ťĥĕ boy's religious beliefs.Also we have å number of good institution around that can equal CU.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by musiwa48: 10:52am On Sep 30, 2011
it does not matter if he has second choice, he should be given admission if he is this smart.

you can not stop a muslim from entering into a church because he is a muslim. the samething goes for the university. it is the young man business. and he knows the university is a christain school. as long as he obey the rule of the university. it does not matter if he is a  christain or muslim.

i do not believe this story happen in the first place.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Maximip(m): 10:53am On Sep 30, 2011
Lots of problems with a christian university admitting a muslim

The boy and his parents can never win this case. A university where it's compulsory for students to
go for church service at least 4 times a week.

The boy will now enter the school and tell them he is not going because he is muslim. He should go to
BOKO HARAM university instead.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by jovoodoo(m): 10:54am On Sep 30, 2011
Listen people there's no reason for you to tear each other apart over nothing. I don't see any crime committed here.

First of all if the school had issues with other religions the boy wouldn't have even been allowed to take the school's post ume test.

Secondly you have to understand the nature of post-ume tests. They're not really trying to test for the best I.Qs;the tests are just a means for universities to weed out the unruly students or should i say those ones that will make their jobs harder than usual. And to do this they look out for any error that they can find in your application or in your test papers. For example if you don't shade your registration number or your names well, that is more than enough grounds for disqualification even if you got all the answers correctly. So it's not surprising when you see a student do so well in jamb and in the post ume test but still gets denied an admission.

i know this because the first ever post ume that was conducted in this country by the university of nigeria nsukka was marked singlehandedly by me. The university approached the i.t. company i worked for then and asked if we could provide omr solutions for conducting the exams and have the results ready within 72 hrs as they had been given a time frame by the nuc to conduct the exam; and that if they could successfully conduct the tests within that window then the nuc would approve the post-ume for all other institutions in the country. Well needless to say it was a success.

We sat down with the school's examination board and they were enumerating the kinds of students and problems they would like to eliminate, like cultism, rapes, exam malpractices, students that score high in jamb but can't even make a complete sentence in english(which of course means they didn't take the exam themselves), etc. After the test was conducted and admissions were given they saw a high decline in all the afore mentioned activities. The surprising thing was there were cases where the children of staff of the school and even members of the examination board couldn't make it into the school even with above average test scores.

The third issue of note is that of admission quota. The NUC has a specific number of students each school is allowed to admit per session. This poses a very big challenge for the schools because you could have a situation where say for example in the department of medicine you only had space for a hundred applicants and at the end of the day 300 take the exam and 200 make the cutoff mark. what do you do in this situation ? Well the school has to deny admission to a hundred candidates even though they did very well in the exam. The school will have to go through the applications of the said candidates and their test papers again to see if they can find any reason to disqualify the candidate. these could range from improper shading , incorrect information provided on application forms, indigene status and so on. if you're lucky you could be offered admission in another department that is yet to be filled up.

So what i'm really trying to say is that covenant university is well within its rights by denying admission because of incorrect information supplied by the candidate on his application form. Even warnings against this is indicated on such application forms.  I really don't see why we have to turn this into a religious debate. This happens allover the country so singling out Covenant university to me seems suspect.

My only advice to the parents is to demand to see a copy of the application form their son submitted. If the boy didn't make the error the school claims he made then they can go ahead and sue.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:58am On Sep 30, 2011
musiwa.,.:

the university must have a open door policy on admission. even while it keep its moral value.

highlighted there is the balatant idiocy of the whole situation.

now its a muslim seeking admission the school policies are wrong?  

HOW COME NOBODY SEES THAT THE PROBLEM ISNT THE REFUSAL OF THE ADMISSION BUT THE EXISTENCE OF THE SCHOOL ITSELF IN THE MOULD IN WHICH IT CURRENTLY EXISTS?

do u realise that whilst ostensibly admission is being refused on religious grounds, the very existence of the circumstance is in itself absurd?

people are compelled daily in that same place to dress in a christian manner, own a bible, read or listen to someone read a bible, eat particular things, sleep at particular times, engage/not engage in particular activities.

and you all applaud the nonsense in the name of "moral value"!  

those students are adults, mostly. they are schooling under compulsion and practically being forced to be "christians" and nobody has an issue with it, now that people who are going to highlight the rank injustice and idiocy of the situation are being prevented from coming in, YU ALL SUDDENLY SEE THE RELIGIOUSITY AS AN INJUSTICE?

if the school was not already bigoted in outlook and mode of operation, they would not have issues with accepting a student even if he was a satan worshipper.

which even brings the question, if the boi had stated that he was a satanist, would you all be advocating on his behalf?  oh, thats not a "qualified" religion?

id appreciate if you religious bigots made up your minds one way or the other. DO U WANT TO PRACTICE YOUR RELIGION NO MATTER THE CONSEQUENCE?
or DO U WANT TO LIVE IN A CIVILISED ENVIROMENT WHERE RELIGION IS NOT A FACTOR TOWARD S HUMAN ACHIEVEMENT?

so long as covenant university is called and run as a christian university with general approval, and the boy is named and proffessed a muslim with general approval, then the present scenario is unavoidable.

call the school all the names u wanna, YOU are a part of the reason why this type of events happen. or do u not shout alleluia when the pastors lead?  grin grin grin grin
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by dammytosh: 11:02am On Sep 30, 2011
Kabikala:

While on the surface it may appear discriminatory to deny Muslim students admission to Covenant University, we need to put ourselves in the place of the CU Management.

You offer several Muslim students admission and before you know it they want to form Muslim Students Society. And then they want a separate location for their prayers. And they want the school time-table modified to allow them pray five times daily. Then they would want to build a mosque. And then they want to have Jihad week and invite El Zak-Zaky as their guest lecturer. And they can wear T-shirts with "I love Osama" inscription. And every male begins to spot a beard, and the females gets covered in black from head to toe.

On the other hand, if CU decides to offer them admission and insist they must attend church services several times a week like every of their student does, we will all come here and shout discrimination.

Let the guy go to Fountain University in Oshogbo, Al-Hikma in Ilorin or Crescent in Abeokuta. Or government-owned University.

IT IS NOT BY FORCE TO GO TO CU. THE SCHOOL IS 100% FUNDED AND OWNED BY WINNER'S CHAPEL / BISHOP OYEDEPO. IF THEY DON'T OFFER YOU ADMISSION, GO ELSE WHERE.

WILL ANY MUSLIM UNIVERSITY ALLOW A CHRISTIAN BUILD CHURCH IN THEIR CAMPUS ?  

THE GOVERNING COUNCIL CAN USE THEIR DISGRESSION TO ADMIT OR RECAL THE CERTIFICATE GIVEN TO YOU AT ANY POINT. SAME FOR ALL INSITUTION FORGET THE GROUND. HOW COME SOME STATE UNIVERSITIES DON'T ADMIT STUDENT BASED ON STATE OF ORIGIN.

PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by OPENER1: 11:03am On Sep 30, 2011
aa in Nigeria escalate he matter
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Zhulfiqar1: 11:18am On Sep 30, 2011
[b]the level of ignorance and intolerance nigerian christians display against anything islam or muslim is shocking.why the hate even against the yoruba muslims who are said to be the most tolerant and welcoming people in the country? they do not even behave as if they live in a country with a muslim majority.they also dont behave as if they have brothers and neighbours who are muslims.they are very fanatical and their words of provocation coming from the very top in CAN who are expected to be models of tolerance is disappointing and full of inciting statements.the government should see into this issue and curtail the zealotry especially of the christian clergymen.they are becoming a threat and menace to nigeria's unity and sovereignty.as far as Nigeria and nigerians are concerned those big-mouthed clergymen are nobody.they are nothing and have no constitutional authority to talk nonsense.they either behave themselves and practice free speech with responsibility and within the bounds of nigerian law or face the consequences from the government for irresponsible remarks and careless outbursts.[/b]
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by jovoodoo(m): 11:22am On Sep 30, 2011
^^^^^^^
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

SHAYO NA BASTAAAARD !!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by dammytosh: 11:26am On Sep 30, 2011
I AM AMAZED THE WAY WE REASON HERE. THIS IS A SCHOOL THAT CAME ON BOARD RECENTLY AND HAS BEING ADJUDGED THE BEST PRIVATE UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA FOR 2 CONSECUTIVE YEARS. IF THIS IS HOW THAT WAS ACHIEVED, SO BE IT.

I REPEAT, IT IS NOT COMPULSORY YOU LOOK FOR ADMISSION BY FORCE IN A SCHOOL. THE INTEGRITY OF THE BOY IN QUESTION IS QUESTIONABLE. WHY LIE MUSLIM/ANGLICAN IN YOUR RELIGION ?

COVENANT HAS GRADUATED MUSLIM STUDENTS AND STILL HAVE MORE. NOBODY CAN FORCE THE UNIVERSITY TO GRANT ANYBODY AN ADMISSION, NO MATTER THE LEVEL OF RANT.

THE SCHOOL IS 100% FUNDED BY A CHRISTIAN ORGANIZATION NOT AN ISLAMIC GROUP OR GOVERNMENT, SO DON'T CONFUSE THIS WITH ISLAMIC BANKING. WHAT THEY SAID IS THAT ISLAMIC BANKING SHOULD NOT BE FUNDED BY NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT. LET MUSLIMS FUND THEIR BANK. IT IS AS SIMPLE AS ABC NOBODY IS OPPOSING THE BANK.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Nobody: 11:29am On Sep 30, 2011
IRrespective of some biased comment on this thread, į̸̸̨ strongly feel we Ǎ̜̣̍я̥ε̲̣̣̣ trying    hide from the truth, Churches dese days Ǎ̜̣̍я̥ε̲̣̣̣ not encouraging, How then do u̶̲̥̅̊ hope    reach and evangelise and even convert more 'souls' if u̶̲̥̅̊ dnt get along with them, Seriously, this is wrong, Now į̸̸̨  why D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ Ǎ̜̣̍я̥ε̲̣̣̣ also on the boko haram target, Yeye people, į̸̸̨ don't even bliv į̸̸̨♌ any religion anymore, None is encouraging,
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by dammytosh: 11:34am On Sep 30, 2011
Imanuelle:

IRrespective of some biased comment on this thread, į̸̸̨ strongly feel we Ǎ̜̣̍я̥ε̲̣̣̣ trying  hide from the truth, Churches dese days Ǎ̜̣̍я̥ε̲̣̣̣ not encouraging, How then do u̶̲̥̅̊ hope  reach and evangelise and even convert more 'souls' if u̶̲̥̅̊ dnt get along with them, Seriously, this is wrong, Now į̸̸̨  why D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ Ǎ̜̣̍я̥ε̲̣̣̣ also on the boko haram target, Yeye people, į̸̸̨ don't even bliv į̸̸̨♌ any religion anymore, None is encouraging,

WHAT IF THE SCHOOL AUTHORITY HAVE INTELLIGENCE REPORTS LINKING THE STUDENT TO A TERRORRIST GROUP TRYING TO INFILTERATE THE CAMPUS AND THEY CHOOSE NOT TO TELL US ? I DON'T SEE WHY WE SHOULD BE FLOGGING A DEAD HORSE HERE. THE SCHOOL IS THE PROPERTY OF BISHOP OYEDEPO / WINNERS AND THEY CAN CHOOSE TO DO WHATEVER THEY FEEL LIKE DOING WITH IT.

IN AS MUCH AS A PENNY FROM THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT WAS NOT USED IN FUNDING THE SCHOOL, THEY DECIDE NOT TO ADMIT BLACK PEOPLE. IT IS NOBODY'S BUSINESS AND IF YOU A SEASONED LAWYER, TAKE THEM TO COURT AND STOP RANTING ON NAIRALAND.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Karbala: 11:37am On Sep 30, 2011
dammytosh:

I AM AMAZED THE WAY WE REASON HERE. THIS IS A SCHOOL THAT CAME ON BOARD RECENTLY AND HAS BEING ADJUDGED THE BEST PRIVATE UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA FOR 2 CONSECUTIVE YEARS. IF THIS IS HOW THAT WAS ACHIEVED, SO BE IT.

I REPEAT, IT IS NOT COMPULSORY YOU LOOK FOR ADMISSION BY FORCE IN A SCHOOL. THE INTEGRITY OF THE BOY IN QUESTION IS QUESTIONABLE. WHY LIE MUSLIM/ANGLICAN IN YOUR RELIGION ?

COVENANT HAS GRADUATED MUSLIM STUDENTS AND STILL HAVE MORE. NOBODY CAN FORCE THE UNIVERSITY TO GRANT ANYBODY AN ADMISSION, NO MATTER THE LEVEL OF RANT.

THE SCHOOL IS 100% FUNDED BY A CHRISTIAN ORGANIZATION NOT AN ISLAMIC GROUP OR GOVERNMENT, SO DON'T CONFUSE THIS WITH ISLAMIC BANKING. WHAT THEY SAID IS THAT ISLAMIC BANKING SHOULD NOT BE FUNDED BY NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT. LET MUSLIMS FUND THEIR BANK. IT IS AS SIMPLE AS ABC NOBODY IS OPPOSING THE BANK.

Muslims did not ask the FG to fund any islamic bank.it was the ignorance of CAN and its arms that made remarks that were not true.the islamic bank was only given license by government.it is muslims who will fund it.

why deny ordinary muslims to have an islamic bank when fanatical christians have universities?

the islamic bank would be for all nigerians irrespective of religion.but here we have universities that are hot bed for christian arrogance and fanaticism in a country like nigeria.how can such a university discriminate against nigerian students for being muslim? why do muslim students need to hide their identity in order to gain admission? if such discrimination happens with islamic banking,the christian zealots will not make us rest.they will use it for their propaganda against muslims and islam saying "we told you"!

now is it not time for the government to shut down such a university like covenant for discrimination and racism? would the government wait for fanatics from the other end like boko haram to hijack this issue and use it as a "reason" to "fight for muslims"?

the government through the ministry of education should do somthing and make this university to sit up or shut it down.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Baawaa(m): 11:39am On Sep 30, 2011
why d fight?Crescent University is there,Nasfat Has its own,Hamadiat has its own university, .From d mother of d boy i can perceived arrogance,and wat u pple  called minor error can ruin som1 career. (muslim/Anglican).Brilliant,as his parent claimed
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by sheyguy: 11:41am On Sep 30, 2011
Its no secret that covenant uni. is an institution based on christian principles and in order for these principles top be met student coming in must be christian( u agree to abide by these principles). as for the parents involved they where actually running from conventional schools  for security reasons.

we (NLders) have been busy bashing the topic however we fail to see the implication for  covenant [university in the long run, Imagine 3 years from now when these pple grow wings and demanding that they be allowed
to practice their religion inside of the school campus and all the trouble it will bring besides there are schools (secure) out there that don't care about ur religion as long as pay and meet up with their demands.

What about companies where u are required to be a christian b4 u r employed.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Karbala: 11:42am On Sep 30, 2011
dammytosh:

WHAT IF THE SCHOOL AUTHORITY HAVE INTELLIGENCE REPORTS LINKING THE STUDENT TO A TERRORRIST GROUP TRYING TO INFILTERATE THE CAMPUS AND THEY CHOOSE NOT TO TELL US ? I DON'T SEE WHY WE SHOULD BE FLOGGING A DEAD HORSE HERE. THE SCHOOL IS THE PROPERTY OF BISHOP OYEDEPO / WINNERS AND THEY CAN CHOOSE TO DO WHATEVER THEY FEEL LIKE DOING WITH IT.

IN AS MUCH AS A PENNY FROM THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT WAS NOT USED IN FUNDING THE SCHOOL, THEY DECIDE NOT TO ADMIT BLACK PEOPLE. IT IS NOBODY'S BUSINESS AND IF YOU A SEASONED LAWYER, TAKE THEM TO COURT AND STOP RANTING ON NAIRALAND.

you must be drunk with something very strong.Ijaiye is not in the northern part of nigeria.it is a place in yoruba land.the boy is a yoruba muslim and not hausa from northern nigeria.stop wasting people's time with senseless points.if there was any such intelligence,the university should have handed over the information to the police and get the boy and his parents arrested.it does not make sense denying him admission because he is muslim.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Karbala: 11:50am On Sep 30, 2011
sheyguy:

Its no secret that covenant uni. is an institution based on christian principles and in order for these principles top be met student coming in must be christian( u agree to abide by these principles). as for the parents involved they where actually running from conventional schools for security reasons.

we (NLders) have been busy bashing the topic however we fail to see the implication for covenant [university in the long run, Imagine 3 years from now when these pple grow wings and demanding that they be allowed
to practice their religion inside of the school campus and all the trouble it will bring besides there are schools (secure) out there that don't care about your religion as long as pay and meet up with their demands.

What about companies where u are required to be a christian b4 u r employed.

this is a school where the student decides which one to attend and not a company where employees choose who to employ and pay.the students pay the school for services and not the school paying students for attendance.so your comparison is wrong!

a school being christian or muslim does not mean they should not allow others to attend.also,even if members of a different faith want to practice their religion by themselves,why would that bother you?are they telling you to include islamic knowledge in the curriculum? leave people the freedom to practice what they like privately.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Nobody: 11:55am On Sep 30, 2011
in the whole wide world, Nigeria is the only secular nation where religion is hyprocrytically taken to its extreme. yet Nigerians, xtians and Muslims alike, excel in corruption in all ramifications. what a paradox.

even King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals in Saudi Arabia gives xtians scholarship.  why? because they are matured. they are not crazy.

Will we ever grow up in this country?

guy, if you are up to the task, go to OAU, you will find better academic challenge. just 295 and you are the second best. you will not only graduate with a universally recognized degree you will graduate a stronger person who knows how to get going when the going gets tough. I don't of Unilag and UI sha but I am too sure of great Ife.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by VEE2010(m): 12:08pm On Sep 30, 2011
on a more serious note, covenant university is located right inside the church's (winners' chapel) premises. i think, it will be unwise to allow muslims to attend. come to think of it, would they be permitted to build their own worship center (mosque) within the church premises? impossible!
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by dagboss(m): 12:09pm On Sep 30, 2011
We should stop wasting time on this thread. The school authority gave the reason why they turned down the addmission of the boy. The poor boy made a mistake while filling the admission  form that he is a Muslim of Anglican denomination. And the school authorities were probably wary of admitting a Young man that betrayed his fraudulent tendencies right from the level of filling an admission form instead of the mother to come/calm down and explain that it was a mistake she started shouting on the staff.You know our wealthy Nigerians particularly women the way they behave to other Nigerians when they believe they are not as loaded as them. If it was the father that went to the place, we would probably not be talking about this matter because he would have handled it maturely. Nigeria has not gotten to that level not even in the South West where we do not attach too much importance to religious differences. I attended the only Baptist High School in the whole of the former Ondo Province now in Ekiti state as an Anglican, there were scores of Muslims students there. in any case can anybody in NL help me out. As about a week+ ago, i scanned through the admission list of UNN in my Punch newspaper out of interest though, i couldn't see a single name that didn't sound Igbo and that is supposed to be a Federal University.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by LagosShia: 12:17pm On Sep 30, 2011
VEE2010:

on a more serious note, covenant university is located right inside the church's (winners' chapel) premises. i think, it will be unwise to allow muslims to attend. come to think of it, would they be permitted to build their own worship center (mosque) within the church premises? impossible!

i attended a catholic school and the majority of students were muslims.we attended church services and we still remained muslim.we still practiced our religion privately.accepting students from other faiths does not mean the school has to become muslim or change its identity.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by LagosShia: 12:21pm On Sep 30, 2011
dagboss:

We should stop wasting time on this thread. The school authority gave the reason why they turned down the addmission of the boy. The poor boy made a mistake while filling the admission form that he is a Muslim of Anglican denomination. And the school authorities were probably wary of admitting a Young man that betrayed his fraudulent tendencies right from the level of filling an admission form instead of the mother to come/calm down and explain that it was a mistake she started shouting on the staff.You know our wealthy Nigerians particularly women the way they behave to other Nigerians when they believe they are not as loaded as them. If it was the father that went to the place, we would probably not be talking about this matter because he would have handled it maturely. Nigeria has not gotten to that level not even in the South West where we do not attach too much importance to religious differences. I attended the only Baptist High School in the whole of the former Ondo Province now in Ekiti state as an Anglican, there were scores of Muslims students there. in any case can anybody in NL help me out. As about a week+ ago, i scanned through the admission list of UNN in my Punch newspaper out of interest though, i couldn't see a single name that didn't sound Igbo and that is supposed to be a Federal University.
if it was the mistake that made them reject him,and we know the father denied any such mistake,then the mistake should have being corrected and the student admitted all the same.but that did not happen.

UNN is located where igbos are predominant.the southwest is for all yorubas,be they muslims or christians.

besides,is this the tolerance,love and freedom of belief and the so called "open mindedness" that christians are fooling people with? they are just as fanatical as boko haram!
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by member479760: 12:23pm On Sep 30, 2011
the river still no get end, things dey go too over in this country.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:25pm On Sep 30, 2011
BOKO HARAM is offering Islamic Engineering, Sharia Economics, Muslim Computing in the Desert Universities up North grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN / 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate / Why I Won't Go Back For My Masters (M.sc) Now As A Fresh Nigerian Graduate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.