Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,406 members, 7,964,657 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 05:31 PM

Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University (27717 Views)

See Covenant University Mobile Phone Outlaw Undertaking / Help! He Passed But Is Been Denied Admission / UTME: Over One Million Will Be Denied admission – Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by tomzman: 11:05pm On Sep 30, 2011
nethacker:

The school is a private institution and has the rights to admit whosoever. i'm sick and tired of people shouting racism bla bla or tribal/religious/ethnic differences. can any1 explain why banks don't employ people with long,crystal-clear tribal marks? Religious extremism should not be condoned and the best way to stop it is never to let it happen.Once you give it a chance to come to life, then you will pay with your life to end it. Why can't he go to an islamic institution
abi o aren't there islamic institutions he can go to, wat about the one founded by 'their' IMA.

reloboy:

Being a Muslim doesnt mean you should isolate yourself from christain infact we believe Jesus exist but he is not the lord. A muslim should associate with everyone in other to show them that Allah is the creator and islam is a religion of peace.
[B]SIGNED[/B] RELOBOY
Good sermon. Go preach this to your boko haram boys.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Nobody: 11:37pm On Sep 30, 2011
@JOKYTECH
You are a dumb broad , so the school can actually detect potential cultist and trouble makers by the result of the post ume , or didn't you read the guys post. Sorry my bad reading is not your forte cos if it is you would have known why the post ume was established.

And don't come back here spewing rubbish , Zap.i.n g dumb B.I.A.T.C.H.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Otunbakay(m): 11:57pm On Sep 30, 2011
Na dem fined troble, abi nor be so? What 're devoted muslims looking for in a purely christian owned university? If nor be palaver. If it were 2 be a muslim owned uni, who born the chritian family seeking 4 admission there. Abegiii leave matter 4 mathaiseeeeeee.Na dem fined troble, abi nor be so? What 're devoted muslims looking for in a purely christian owned university? If nor be palaver. If it were 2 be a muslim owned uni, who born the chritian family seeking 4 admission there. Abegiii leave matter 4 mathaiseeeeeee.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by sheyguy: 12:46am On Oct 01, 2011
?
QUESTIONS QUESTIONS AND MORE QUESTIONS!!!

in the end i pray justice prevails
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by tpia5: 1:18am On Oct 01, 2011
deols would like to hear your response to my questions because quite frankly i'm still astonished by what you described.

never heard of such happening in the southwest, so maybe things are different from what i knew before, or there are actually places in yorubaland where seeing a christian is viewed the same way as seeing a white man.

amazing. its like rolling back the clock 300 years to when africa was the dark continent. like before the white man even set foot there.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Lanrefemi: 4:05am On Oct 01, 2011
If convenant university is listed as a christian university i.e a theology university then they are right in admitting only 'christians' but if not then they are not right to deny non-christians admission. I don't think because the founder of an institution is of a particular religion means that every student in that institution must be of that religion.
We should all remember that even the europeans that brought the religion to us built schools, hospital for all: idol worshippers, muslims and even atheist not just for people that only believe in their religion.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by deols(f): 4:41am On Oct 01, 2011
I attended a Muslim Primary school and we used to av at least a christian at every time. No one ever forced them to pray. In fact we used to look at them like u wld look at Oyinbos, cos dey were just our first contact with christians.

where was that, i wonder.

My primary school is in Ibadan. It is one of the first Muslim private schools, apart from the likes of Ansarudeen that were taken up by the government from the missionaries. I grew up in a large family house and u can understand if my holidays were with Muslim friends too. In fact my holidays were at Islamic vacation courses. I didnt know christians and their ways at the time am describing except perhaps what I saw on TV.

very weird for yorubaland. Are you yoruba? Huh

yes, I am. I went to another primary school later on though, where I met christians and I tell u it was a weird moment, stating the awkward things might seem cos am Muslim.

while I was in secondary school. This school was purely business oriented and wasnt meant to favor a religion and they would sideline Muslim students when it came to appointing prefects

also weird.

where was this if you dont mind my asking.

This school is also in Ibadan. I wont like to mention the name. I still detest many of those teachers. I was very outspoken. I can remember asking one of them if he was being paid to preach or to teach us. U shldnt be surprised I wasnt made a prefect as against speculations nd I graduated with one of the best SSCE results.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by tpia5: 6:12am On Oct 01, 2011
It is one of the first Muslim private schools

afi be.

apart from the likes of Ansarudeen that were taken up by the government from the missionaries. I grew up in a large family house and u can understand if my holidays were with Muslim friends too. In fact my holidays were at Islamic vacation courses. I didnt know christians and their ways at the time am describing except perhaps what I saw on TV.

so you have no christians at all in your general extended family?

rather unusual.

or maybe you're just not aware of any.

i do know some yoruba muslims who dont interact with christians in any manner. Think most of them were from the oyo axis and a few from ogun.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by tpia5: 6:16am On Oct 01, 2011
strangely, i dont doubt kwara would fit that description as well, but most of the kwarans i know, arent like that.

i guess the conservative muslims from there might mainly be in the north, though i could be wrong.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by misterh(m): 8:59am On Oct 01, 2011
Whether d school is a private or not, dey r regulated by the NUC. To solve dis problem, we should look @ dia licence, whether dey av d right 2 deny some people admission based on their religion, tribe, sex etc. If dey av, CU is rite but if not, d candidate is rite.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by deols(f): 9:53am On Oct 01, 2011
tpia@:

afi be.

so you have no christians at all in your general extended family?

rather unusual.

or maybe you're just not aware of any.

i do know some yoruba muslims who dont interact with christians in any manner. Think most of them were from the oyo axis and a few from ogun.

The contact wasnt meant to be so general. I must have known christians around like the ones who owned shops that we bought things from. But without the word christian tagged to them.they were just other people. But when it comes to children of my age at the time, whom I could av interacted with to know of our differences, the ones in my Islamic school were the first. And seeing them as oyinbos was just to express ow we felt differently from them.

I only know of an aunt who became christian. I never spoke wv her and she only came to the family house at the death of her father, my grandpa.

I dont kno of Muslims deliberately keeping away from christians. How do they buy and sell if they wouldnt interact with others.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by MMM2(m): 9:55am On Oct 01, 2011
na woo
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by soloqy: 10:07am On Oct 01, 2011
udezue:

Okay, first of all he lied on his application so the school has grounds to deny him based on that. U are not supposed to lie or deceive any institution in order to get admitted.

2nd, it is a private Christian school hence it has the right admit people based on religion. Its not govt owned public institution. Its private hence it has a right to enjoy its autonomy.

3rd, how many Christian or non-muslim are admitted in any Islamic school out there? I am sure the criteria before admission will be to convert to Islam immediately or lose admission.

People should stop hyperventilating over nothing.

If the father sues he will surely lose so they should suck it up and look for a public school or private Islamic school.

Imagine a Xtian school where Muslims will take breaks to do their prayers. Haha The school can deny Hindus, Buddhists, Jewish people admission if they deem fit.

Very Very well said.

Besides, they said they had had problems in the past with Muslim students. Its a CHRISTIAN SCHOOL for crying out loud and that means they would have set times for bible reading and prayer vigils. What you would have is Muslim students doing their own thing while the other students are doing what the school was original started for. This would eventually lead to friction and chaos in the school.
There is no point in trying to sound politically correct like most of you here are doing. Its a Christan school and that's what they are created for and what they want to remain. Let Islamic organizations offer Muslims proper education and not just Islamic studies, and stuff like this wont occur.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by baslone: 10:24am On Oct 01, 2011
I am fully in support of CU, Even ahmadu bello university now admits muslims even if they didn't write post utme and give them professional courses, I am fully in support of CU, Even ahmadu bello university now admits muslims even if they didn't write post utme and give them professional courses,

shocked shocked shocked shocked

Why do you guys tell all these big lies against the northerners Just to prove a point!!!!!
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by deols(f): 12:47pm On Oct 01, 2011
soloqy:

Very Very well said.

Besides, they said they had had problems in the past with Muslim students. Its a CHRISTIAN SCHOOL for crying out loud and that means they would have set times for bible reading and prayer vigils. What you would have is Muslim students doing their own thing while the other students are doing what the school was original started for. This would eventually lead to friction and chaos in the school.
There is no point in trying to sound politically correct like most of you here are doing. Its a Christan school and that's what they are created for and what they want to remain. Let Islamic organizations offer Muslims proper education and not just Islamic studies, and stuff like this wont occur.

its ok to av whatever business principle u wish. I av no problem wv not giving Muslims admission But that should be clearly stated in Jamb brochures. Students shouldnt av to waste a whole yr findn out which schl wld offer dem admission based on their religion,

I just hope pple like u wont come talking when an Islamic institution does same. Or were ppl not asking if the Islamic banks would employ them on religion basis or not?

baslone:

shocked shocked shocked shocked

Why do you guys tell all these big lies against the northerners Just to prove a point!!!!!

me sef wonder oo. I wonder where they keep their conscience. and they say all Liars shall perish grin
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by soloqy: 12:56pm On Oct 01, 2011
deols:

I just hope pple like u wont come talking when an Islamic institution does same.

I would be stupid to come talking when an Islamic institution does same. Its Islamic institution that it is called, no?

deols:

Or were ppl not asking if the Islamic banks would employ them on religion basis or not?

Any one who is not a Muslim that goes to an Islamic [quote][/quote]bank to seek employment, would have him or herself to blame for any disappointment that may follow.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Nobody: 1:23pm On Oct 01, 2011
Go to Primary and secondary schools in Kano and see as non-Muslims do. They may admit you but u must do like them. Let everybody go improve their own schools and adopt any policy. alhajis should open more schools for thir brilliant boys.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by baslone: 2:09pm On Oct 01, 2011
ferdiii:

Go to Primary and secondary schools in Kano and see as non-Muslims do. They may admit you but u must do like them. Let everybody go improve their own schools and adopt any policy. alhajis should open more schools for thir brilliant boys.

I have also lived in Kano,it's not as bad as that.

I was in the boarding house in the north(Sokoto)!

My school had 3chapels(protestants and Catholics segregated) and just one mosque!

And it was peaceful all through my six year stay.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by deols(f): 2:23pm On Oct 01, 2011
baslone:

I have also lived in Kano,it's not as bad as that.

I was in the boarding house in the north(Sokoto)!

My school had 3chapels(protestants and Catholics segregated) and just one mosque!

And it was peaceful all through my six year stay.

dont mind dem oo. Na so dey lie against northerners all d time. A girl told me of the federal science college in Sokoto where they have pple from all over the country. I never heard of discrimination in that school.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by oc2fish: 2:49pm On Oct 01, 2011
In as much as i dont like discremination, i will like to say that the University do not want to train highly knowledgable terorist who at any form of trouble lead his fellow Jadist to bomb the heart of the Church and even the university. Dont forget the case of a marguard who kill his master at Shagamu during religious riot and the case of Osama who was well trained.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by basadenet: 3:12pm On Oct 01, 2011
What is the Muslim Student looking for at Christian University? Is covenant University the only University in Nigeria? if No, then take her to Muslim University. Why is that people like you like find fault where this none. How do you expect your ward- a Muslim to cope among all christian student, may be you have forgotten one thing, do you know that she has to go for daily devotional worship everyday and how do you expect her to cope. In fact you should thank God that she was not admitted, had it been, you will have end up wasting your hard earn money. So do not create any unnecessary scene here, take your ward to Muslim University, there she will be more comfortable. or better still  take her to any of the federal University, there she can prove her academic brilliance.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Nobody: 3:52pm On Oct 01, 2011
deols:

dont mind dem oo. Na so dey lie against northerners all d time. A girl told me of the federal science college in Sokoto where they have pple from all over the country. I never heard of discrimination in that school.

you never hear of such because it is mostly institutionalised i.e. generally accepted.
I worked at FUT Yola for a year and had the job of deciding what students to admit to 2nd yr DE in the department of URP . . . i dare say i had to turn down several way more qualified yoruba and igbo christians for below par northern muslims as per school policy.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Nobody: 4:13pm On Oct 01, 2011
the fear of boko haram is the beginning of wisdom
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by arsenefc: 4:51pm On Oct 01, 2011
davidylan:

you never hear of such because it is mostly institutionalised i.e. generally accepted.
I worked at FUT Yola for a year and had the job of deciding what students to admit to 2nd yr DE in the department of URP . . . i dare say i had to turn down several way more qualified yoruba and igbo christians for below par northern muslims as per school policy.

First of all whats URP?

Secondly, what year are you talking about because I used to work at FUT Yola.

No need to malign an ethnic group just so you could feel better. You ought to know better than that.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by deols(f): 5:18pm On Oct 01, 2011
davidylan:

i think u shld look more at the bolded. I read d Jamb brochure before i wrote UME nd did seek admission at some University in Nigeria nd I know of a policy, I cant rememba wat they called it. But, wat i understand from it is, people fom OYo, lagos and Osun had a lower cut off mark for OAU than pple from other states whereas every Nigerian had a equal chance in UI. some other schls in d north were in the same category as UI, probably Usman dan fodio of sokoto. this same principle applied for the pre degree course at OAU.

So if dat is wat happened, den I see no biggie. Seems a national thing. but if it is on a religious divide, then it is unfair especially on the Northern christians.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by kolanpas(m): 7:29pm On Oct 01, 2011
First of all,what is bull looking 4 in chinese shop, i blame the parent 4 wanting their boy to go to CU, what is special about them, 2ndly i dought d parent ar pius muslim. They want their son, ewe to follow christan dog so that he can eat fieces all in the name of getting good aducation which CU is not d answer. If one northerner does something it is all muslim leaving the fact that not all northerner ar muslim. If easterner does something it that easterner alone, they will blame it on, not all cristain. I know u ar trying to unlease the animosity u christian av 4 we muslim
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by donifez(m): 7:35pm On Oct 01, 2011
dats bad he should have been offered admission.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by Steveluck06: 10:18pm On Oct 01, 2011
Muslims and their hypocrisy! Someone should please tell us what happens at Crescent University, Abeokuta. I have a co-worker who applied to lecture there and was denied employment because he was not a muslim. When Covenant University and other Christian universities first opened and insisted that all students go to the chapel, moslems were up in arms. But when Crescent University and other Islamic based university sprang up, and decided that all undergraduates must go to the jumat every Friday, we did not hear any noise form the Christian Community. The fact is that Christians do not fight people over their properties, they will rather look elsewhere if they have objections to your policy. But not so with moslems. They will insist on patronising your business on their own terms. I know a public secondary school in Ondo State - Moslem High School, Ore where Christian students are not allowed to hold Fellowship even when the moslems not only attend jumat on Fridays, but do so in a mosque built within the school premises.

Before the university is castigated, one needs to dispassionately consider the reason given by the admission officer. Those admitted before disregarded the university rules. And these rules were known to them before they were admitted. But muslims being who they are will want the best from you (good education, peaceful environment etc) but will refuse to be law-abiding. A law does not have to be good or fair to be obeyed. Once a law is in place and is known to you, to choose to either obey it or go elsewhere where such laws do not exist. Covenant University is not the on ly university in Nigeria. For a young man who scored 295 in the UME, what prevents him from attending Unilag, Unibadan or UNN? Are there no undergraduates in these universities.

My last piece of advice: Let muslims set up more universities of their own and then admit Christians and allow them to worship the Christian way on the campuses before they accuse Christian universities of discrimination. Do not fight a man over an institution that he has established. ESTABLISH YOUR OWN!
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by oc2fish: 12:44am On Oct 02, 2011
I saw a picture of the graduation setting of one of the islamic Universities in Nigeria. all the female student were made to put on ejab with there gown i do belive that all of them were not Muslim and no Muslim will agree to obey christain law not even for a minute. In the U.S we saw the comotion made by a married woman becos they told her not to were ejab in some of the ride for safety sake.
If this people can cause trouble even while your trying instil peace and safety i do belive the boy should go to any of the federal or islamic universities.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by laserboy(m): 7:39am On Oct 02, 2011
The university should not in anyway be blamed for refusing to admit a Muslim student. Do u even know if they belong to d boko haram sect? LOL!!!! abeg the university does not  want to breed another Abdulmutalab! Let the boy apply to study at Crescent University in Ogun State. CU simply does not want to take chances. Muslims are known world over to cause violence. Check out what is happening  in d world today. Well sha, The boy is only a victim of what his Muslim brothers have been causing this country and d world at large.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by rflexii(m): 8:07am On Oct 02, 2011
i now realized that ignorance is the problem of most christians, i have christian friends and i don't support boko haram an inch because they are murderers. All what most Christians said here is as a result of ignorance, i tried to ignore but i cant take it any longer. If it was in a developed country will that happen, or if it was between a white owned school and a black boy, what will you say about that, am sure you wont say he's looking for trouble, you'll definitely say he's looking for the best.

People lets be accomodating, its the best way to know ourselves and settle our difference. No one is better than another. Am from Ilorin and i know and have christian friends that are attending Al-hikmah university which is a muslim university, so people there is no fuss about that.
Re: Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University by cryingbaby: 9:37am On Oct 02, 2011
naijaking1:

^^^
Christian schools should be at liberty to deny muslims admission, especially if there is no chance of converting them to christianity. Education for muslims is what Boko Haram is all about, they should go to their own designated schools.
I want you to put this in to your empty skull, you are not a christian beside your for-father na ritualist if not because of the British and i am 100% sure u dont know ant thing about the bible i can bet to that since u dont know the history of Christianity and Islam first encounter na for the road side u get converted to christian by the time other University go apply such rule how many Christians go get skool even for south, go check bush man zamfara poly na who full there mumu, bad market no come spoilland wey our grand parents build, olodo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

“CredenceOne”, WAEC’s New Device To Tackle Malpractice! / 50 Nigerians Graduate With First Class From Malaysian University / The Plight Of The Nigerian Overseas Federal Scholarship Students - Ikenna David

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.