Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,352 members, 7,974,471 topics. Date: Monday, 14 October 2024 at 05:14 AM

I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo (27261 Views)

Nigeria Is Poor, Elected Officials Should Earn Minimum Wage – Soludo / Tinubu: If I Am Elected President, Edo Will Become As Beautiful As Lagos / Bamidele Salam: Reduce Lawmakers By Two-thirds; We’re Too Many, Unsustainable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by tiswell(m): 6:33pm On Jun 12
christejames:
Soludo is disappointing me with his statements on this minimum wage undecided

You were perceived as a technocrat and made the governor of one of the most vibrants and richest states (in both human and commercial/industrial resources) in Nigeria, but you are giving excuses that you can't pay something less than 70k? When some states like Edo and Borno that are seen as commercially inefficient are proposing more than 70k? shocked shocked

Keep giving opposition chances to push you out!
He is still comfortably paying 18k minimum wage.

Man is heartless!!!

1 Like

Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by bixton(m): 6:35pm On Jun 12
EmperorCaesar:
As a former CBN Gov, He knows best and I'm sure PBAT share same ideology too

They wouldnt approve what State Gov would struggle to pay in the long run

If you disagree with this, just remember than you arent smarter than Soludo

If a former CBN governor and now a State Governor is making such statement it's just a proof that he's not smart whatsoever. He is among the elites who contributed to the destruction of the nation's economy. He is amongst those who says petrol subsidy should be removed and they did not think about the ripple effects it will cause.
As a governor he should be looking for ways to ensure that the economy and economic activity in Anambra State through intentional government participation is on the increase, approachable and friendly. He is amongst those who measure the Dollar to the Naira, comparing our low priced petroleum products, etc, etc to that of other European countries but they have never measured same when it comes to wages.
If before 2015 the minimum wage is around $100 corresponding to about #15,000 to #18,000, why will the present administration at all levels pay anything less given the current exchange rate.
Governance and administration is not all about the construction of roads, bridges and buildings without putting the wholesome welfare of the common man and in this case the civil servant. You don't need intelligence for infrastructure to be in place.

Can Solido justify his wage as a governor and compare it with his counterparts in the USA?
The pension formers governors collect is it also sustainable and why will they be paid such for doing nothing 4 to 8 years while those who have put in 35 years still receive crumbs?!!!!!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by mokwechineme: 6:37pm On Jun 12
adamusuleiman1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXRyNAQcgLM?si=Hm1XEEcOggJFESdx

https://www.channelstv.com/2024/06/12/i-pity-tinubu-if-he-approves-unsustainable-minimum-wage-soludo/
a country filled with headless chickens and gullible fools. The audience there are clapping for the sadist Soludo and will start castigating him immediately they leave his presence. This is a man that doubled the size of his aides from his predecessor's. Aside the bloated salaries and allowances, avenues to steal billions are intentionally created for them. What Anambra state government spends on aides and the money the steal monthly will pay Anambra workers #500k for 10yrs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by Usmanovic95(m): 6:38pm On Jun 12
Obi1kenobi:

Build their own livelihoods. Minimum wage will not affect over 90% of Nigerians (since most Nigerians are either self-employed or employed by small businesses that minimum wage policy doesn't apply to). How are those other roughly 92% of Nigerians surviving without a minimum wage? Nigerians should also embrace lifestyle changes. Maybe we should stop breeding like rats and having 5 or more children - even from people who can barely feed themselves.

Even if NIGERIANS adopt the one child policy,the government would still struggle to provide the dividend of democracy to the citizens.
Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by raskymonojendor: 6:39pm On Jun 12
Like Soludo like Otti and Peter Obi. Birds of a feather.

1 Like

Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by Emeskhalifa(m): 6:43pm On Jun 12
christejames:

You were perceived as a technocrat and made the governor of one of the most vibrants and richest states (in both human and commercial/industrial resources) in Nigeria, but you are giving excuses that you can't pay something less than 70k? When some states like Edo and Borno that are seen as commercially inefficient are proposing more than 70k? shocked shocked

Let me ask, are you a business owner? Do you have employees on your payroll? My guess is no else u for know say no be everybody go fit pay that minimum wage.
Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by osazsky(m): 6:44pm On Jun 12
Since the removal of subsidy allocations to states increased from 2.5b to 20b monthly wat projects are they doing dat we can't see..if I can't pay 70k let's see projects in various states thiefs

1 Like

Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by bixton(m): 6:45pm On Jun 12
raskymonojendor:

They are all the same. They speak of downsizing the civil service but they will never agree to cut short on aides, cut short on expenditure, cut short on over bloated budgets for roads and other infrastructure. They will never cut short on irrelevant oversea trips that has never brought relevant investors into their States.
Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by osazsky(m): 6:46pm On Jun 12
Emeskhalifa:

Let me ask, are you a business owner? Do you have employees on your payroll? My guess is no else u for know say no be everybody go fit pay that minimum wage.
according to labour law minimum wage is applicable to company's that have more than 40staffs...don't expect a POS operator to pay his sales girl 70k...the 10k salary for sales girls and boys still stand irrespective of minimum wage..this is a public forum
Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by osazsky(m): 6:53pm On Jun 12
raskymonojendor:
I keep saying it..Igbos are the worst set of people no wonder they chose cannabis Igbo as their tribal name
Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by Image123(m): 6:55pm On Jun 12
Many ignorant and young people here. Most of them did not watch the video to get the point. Can your church or mosque pay the least staff the minimum wage that you want to be law? Can the schools and farms around you pay minimum wage to their lowest staff when passed into law? Or you believe minimum wage is only for Tinubu to pay? How many MSMES can pay minimum wage to their least staff? Can you pay minimum wage to your cleaner or house maid and shop assistant?
Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by Inosky: 6:58pm On Jun 12
This guy might not smell second term next year. His silly comment has defiled the education he obtained. What impact has he made for average Anambranians apart from patching roads. Shameful submission by a supposed Prof.

1 Like

Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by alt3r3g0: 6:58pm On Jun 12
Where was his voice for the judiciary, Nass members and the overbloated cabinet that have yielded mostly nothing to be proud of?

See Ngalele and Onanuga saga which clearly shows duplication of duties.

It all comes from one purse.

It's disingenuous to only preach being frugal or sacrifice at the expense of the common man.

Strange enough we did not hear his voice when the 37 man panel was given 1 billion for the same exercise.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by bixton(m): 6:58pm On Jun 12
Emeskhalifa:

The government at all levels can't use that as a basis not to increase the wage of civil servants.
Every private employer will have to increase their employees wages accordingly to the revenue generated from their businesses.
There are private schools whose school fees are even high but they pay one of the lowest in the nation.
My landlady increased rental on her property and told me God will provide for me to pay the increment. Do I have a right to argue with her?
In governance policy making is about ensuring the people are made to smile and not to keep them in slavery telling them it's for a little time.

1 Like

Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by bixton(m): 7:02pm On Jun 12
Image123:
Many ignorant and young people here. Most of them did not watch the video to get the point. Can your church or mosque pay the least staff the minimum wage that you want to be law? Can the schools and farms around you pay minimum wage to their lowest staff when passed into law? Or you believe minimum wage is only for Tinubu to pay? How many MSMES can pay minimum wage to their least staff? Can you pay minimum wage to your cleaner or house maid and shop assistant?

Your statement is a well in ignorance.

The government at all levels can't use that as a basis not to increase the wage of civil servants.
Every private employer will have to increase their employees wages accordingly to the revenue generated from their businesses.
Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by Ebeano49(m): 7:03pm On Jun 12
Long grammar short, is he saying people should live on 30k??

1 Like

Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by Obi1kenobi(m): 7:03pm On Jun 12
Usmanovic95:

Thank God you only ask how the workers are surviving because they are not living and could barely meet up with some of their basic need.
But with further draconian economic policy adopted by the government,more people will find themselves deeper below poverty line.
You obviously don't see any wrongdoing on the path of the government which is actually 75% responsible for what we are facing.If we have had transparent and competent leader in previous years we won't be on this road.

Obviously? Show me anything in my post that states there is no wrongdoing on he part of government. I'm saying the government should not compound it's stupid, wasteful decisions with MORE stupid wasteful decisions, like an unrealistic minimum wage that they don't have the capacity to meet, and which struggling companies in the private sector don't have the capacity to meet. The primary responsibility the government has is towards the electorate and the taxpayers (it's also your higher taxes that will pay that fanciful minimum wage) who are all struggling to keep their heads above water, and not its employees (that most of them are there by nepotistic and tribalistic connection and bribery) or the private sector workers of struggling companies (who could face mass sacking if their companies can meet up with new minimum wage obligations). Nigerians need to start living in reality with our deep economic issues and not living on their emotions.
Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by Image123(m): 7:04pm On Jun 12
osazsky:
according to labour law minimum wage is applicable to company's that have more than 40staffs...don't expect a POS operator to pay his sales girl 70k...the 10k salary for sales girls and boys still stand irrespective of minimum wage..this is a public forum

LoLz, it's actually 25staff and full time workers i.e people who work 40hours or more.
So you are okay with 10k salary for sales girl but ready to draw blood and cursing over civil service. And you claim to be fighting for the masses. You are ready to close down and destroy any shop that opens or operates during your strike. Hypocrites.
Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by Matabue1985: 7:05pm On Jun 12
adamusuleiman1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXRyNAQcgLM?si=Hm1XEEcOggJFESdx

https://www.channelstv.com/2024/06/12/i-pity-tinubu-if-he-approves-unsustainable-minimum-wage-soludo/
am still wondering how this dullard managed to govern the central bank of Nigeria. even if labour are rooting for 500k for minimum wage, thats still not enough in my own perspective because of inflated food prices. last month i spent 1 million naira in 2 weeks because the naira has lost its purchasing power, meaning 1 millon naira now its now equivalent to 100k 5 years back.
Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by SwissMass: 7:07pm On Jun 12
Cowrdyorubas:

Psychophant if he Soludo contest against your brother he will becom IPOB.Una think say una get sense?
Don't address strangers the way you address your mother.
Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by Blazetrailer: 7:07pm On Jun 12
KPOM!!

I can a lot of uniformed people here hallucinating over the nonsense Soludo churned out of his mouth.

bixton:

If a former CBN governor and now a State Governor is making such statement it's just a proof that he's not smart whatsoever. He is among the elites who contributed to the destruction of the nation's economy. He is amongst those who says petrol subsidy should be removed and they did not think about the ripple effects it will cause.
As a governor he should be looking for ways to ensure that the economy and economic activity in Anambra State through intentional government participation is on the increase, approachable and friendly. He is amongst those who measure the Dollar to the Naira, comparing our low priced petroleum products, etc, etc to that of other European countries but they have never measured same when it comes to wages.
If before 2015 the minimum wage is around $100 corresponding to about #15,000 to #18,000, why will the present administration at all levels pay anything less given the current exchange rate.
Governance and administration is not all about the construction of roads, bridges and buildings without putting the wholesome welfare of the common man and in this case the civil servant. You don't need intelligence for infrastructure to be in place.

Can Solido justify his wage as a governor and compare it with his counterparts in the USA?
The pension formers governors collect is it also sustainable and why will they be paid such for doing nothing 4 to 8 years while those who have put in 35 years still receive crumbs?!!!!!
Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by Image123(m): 7:08pm On Jun 12
bixton:

Your statement is a well in ignorance.

LoLz, i thought the whole gra gra and protest was for the masses. So it's for civil service and politicians, so why disturbing the whole country about it? Why shutting down schools, hospitals, airports and national grid when you will pay your staff what and when you want?
Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by Ebeano49(m): 7:09pm On Jun 12
Very pitiful! See as he trivializing peoples suffering.

The SMEs he mentioned are not paying the 30k minimum currently and nobody is taking them to court. Government cannot hide under SMEs and dodge paying people a living wage!
Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by Kevineleven(m): 7:11pm On Jun 12
Nigeria Labour C are not very smart, are they? Instead of them to protest for the official reintroduction of fuel subsidy, that way, the price of fuel and food items will go back to normal .

1 Like

Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by Obi1kenobi(m): 7:11pm On Jun 12
bixton:

There are private schools whose school fees are even high but they pay one of the lowest in the nation.
My landlady increased rental on her property and told me God will provide for me to pay the increment. Do I have a right to argue with her?
In governance policy making is about ensuring the people are made to smile and not to keep them in slavery telling them it's for a little time.

Lol, making people smile is not the primary responsibility of government at all. It's like saying a parent's primary responsibility is making their children smile even if what would make their children smile would be destructive to the family. Almost 60% of Nigeria's revenue is going to debt servicing and you think that instead of stabilizing the economy, bringing down inflation (increasing minimum wage has further inflationary effects), stabilizing our very unstable currency with more forex intervention etc we should be focused on making workers smile. You have your priorities backwards.

You don't have the right to resist your landlady's rent demand because its her house and if you can't afford it, you should leave. Workers who aren't fulfilled by their pay have the right to leave as well. It shouldn't be up to a struggling employer to pay workers money that he doesn't have when he's trying to keep his business afloat and survive.
Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by bixton(m): 7:14pm On Jun 12
Image123:

LoLz, i thought the whole gra gra and protest was for the masses. So it's for civil service and politicians, so why disturbing the whole country about it? Why shutting down schools, hospitals, airports and national grid when you will pay your staff what and when you want?

It works both ways.
Whatever the NLC does works directly for all Civil Servants and Public Servants and indirectly for the rest of the populace. It's as simple as that.
Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by Threedoorsdown: 7:15pm On Jun 12
Mandate1:
don't mind the dude. He thinks he's actually making sense but being half-smart by his positions. When people earn well, they think and feel others should die of starvation. 60,000 is too much for govt to pay, but senators are cruising home with 25m monthly.

My brother Just imagine these people
Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by bixton(m): 7:17pm On Jun 12
Obi1kenobi:

Lol, making people smile is not the primary responsibility of government at all. It's like saying a parent's primary responsibility is making their children smile even if what would make their children smile would be destructive to the family. Almost 60% of Nigeria's revenue is going to debt servicing and you think that instead of stabilizing the economy, bringing down inflation (increasing minimum wage has further inflationary effects), stabilizing our very unstable currency with more forex intervention etc we should be focused on making workers smile. You have your priorities backwards.

You don't have the right to resist your landlady's rent demand because its her house and if you can't afford it, you should leave. Workers who aren't fulfilled by their pay have the right to leave as well. It shouldn't be up to a struggling employer to pay workers money that he doesn't have when he's trying to keep his business afloat and survive.

I'll conclude by saying if the President and Governors can't pay a reasonable minimum living wage, they can as well resign from office. They were not elected be it by hook or by crook to enslave the people.

1 Like

Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by ifinger: 7:17pm On Jun 12
christejames:

APGA IS NOT COMING BACK IN ANAMBRA U SEE
Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by Obi1kenobi(m): 7:18pm On Jun 12
Matabue1985:
am still wondering how this dullard managed to govern the central bank of Nigeria. even if labour are rooting for 500k for minimum wage, thats still not enough in my own perspective because of inflated food prices. last month i spent 1 million naira in 2 weeks because the naira has lost its purchasing power, meaning 1 millon naira now its now equivalent to 100k 5 years back.

See keyboard analyst calling a professor of economics who was a visiting scholar at the IMF, Brookings, Cambridge, Oxford, Swarthmore etc a "dullard". The internet has turned everybody into a professor. grin The minimum wage is not determined by cost of living. It's determined by what employers, including the government, can afford. If you're an employer of labour, you don't determine the salary of your employees by the needs of your employees, but by what you can afford to pay them while keeping your business solvent. Arguing with emotions instead of logic.
Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by RussellRutherfo: 7:22pm On Jun 12
Mandate1:
I'm not smarter than Soludo in many things, but there are also things I can do better than him. No one has the monopoly of knowledge. If the people must suffer this much, what has the politicians done differently to show that they are also feeling the pain? Is it by budgeting 14bn to build VP residence? To what end. Same residence can be built for 1bn. Tell me what is special about a VP residence and office that should gulp 14bn.

Soludo said Nigeria as a country can't afford to increase wage bill, can you remind him that a can of peak milk, which an average Nigerian needs to take breakfast is #700. Ask him what food can one buy with #1000.

The poverty level is at an all time high.

It's crazy.

The Political class won't reduce the expensive cost of governance that they are benefitting from.

2 Likes

Re: I Pity Tinubu If He Approves Unsustainable Minimum Wage - Soludo by Llight101(m): 7:23pm On Jun 12
For those who don't know,
Anambra is still paying 18k minimum wage not even the 33K.

He's having no grounds on this issue.
If you doubt, go to the State's civil service commission and verify.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Peter Obi Set To Commission Labour Party Office In Oyo State (Pictures) / Mohammed Lawan Buba Appointed As PPRRA Chairman / Fake INEC Officials Busted By Security Operatives In Rivers (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.