Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,658 members, 7,979,225 topics. Date: Saturday, 19 October 2024 at 12:18 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (832391 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (214) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 3:20pm On Mar 10, 2013
Dis Guy:

True but there are some universities or towns without proper accommodations, in cities in London and Manchester the closer to the uni the more expensive these private accommodations are. To some international students 30minutes advertised in the brochure or online in actual fact is double that, all in a bid to get cheaper rates jump at these until the reality sets in; with poor transport links, lonely dark streets, cold snobbish neighbours etc

Its very important international students arrive early to view the rooms they are paying for, view more than one option and not be rushed to make decisions

That is the key, room pictures posted online are miles away from the actual condition of the room, the same with school accommodation, they only upload new pictures when the room is newly renovated, after that..they use the same picture to sell the room to foreign students yr in, yr out.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Mar 10, 2013
I think it depends on the school, when I arrived the accommodation in school was better than I expected, the rooms were properly maintained.few weeks back the fridge bulb was dead though within hours they took away the fridge and replaced it with a brand new fridge. Like i said it depends on the school,in my school they keep on maintaining the accommodation. it is best to still view the accommodation first
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Mar 10, 2013
steph7: I think it depends on the school, when I arrived the accommodation in school was better than I expected, the rooms were properly maintained.few weeks back the fridge bulb was dead though within hours they took away the fridge and replaced it with a brand new fridge. Like i said it depends on the school,in my school they keep on maintaining the accommodation. it is best to still view the accommodation first
cool advice, if you dont mind me asking where do you school ?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 10:54am On Mar 11, 2013
Whoa!
Didn’t know I'd get this many replies so soon, thank you to all who've taken out time to reply
Knowing Nigerians and our penchant for tardy/non-existent planning, I hope the information here is of benefit to those who just come here to sniff mostly for insights

@ thread especially to those who've lived /are living in UK, how much is too much for accommodation?

Attached are a North East Uni's accommodation offers [in 3 different halls]
Going by my online research , I've discovered one [to which I'm currently leaning] which is privately owned costing about £3,000.00 for a 50 week contract (£3,250.00 for en suite) which has the facilities listed in the last image...is it commensurate to the facilities been offered?
Non the less,research continues in case something better and more affordable can pop up even before I hit Heathrow

@ mod, is it that images are not attachable in the travel section? I've been at it for about 5 times now yet no dice embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:17pm On Mar 11, 2013
ochukoccna: Whoa!
Didn’t know I'd get this many replies so soon, thank you to all who've taken out time to reply
Knowing Nigerians and our penchant for tardy/non-existent planning, I hope the information here is of benefit to those who just come here to sniff mostly for insights

@ thread especially to those who've lived /are living in UK, how much is too much for accommodation?

Attached are a North East Uni's accommodation offers [in 3 different halls]
Going by my online research , I've discovered one [to which I'm currently leaning] which is privately owned costing about £3,000.00 for a 50 week contract (£3,250.00 for en suite) which has the facilities listed in the last image...is it commensurate to the facilities been offered?
Non the less,research continues in case something better and more affordable can pop up even before I hit Heathrow

@ mod, is it that images are not attachable in the travel section? I've been at it for about 5 times now yet no dice embarassed embarassed embarassed

One can attach image in travel section, check if the size of the image is bigger than the allowed size limit.

If you do it well it will appear here
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 1:46pm On Mar 11, 2013
^^^^^^^^
I know about the size limit thing and my images are below 200kb (which ,if I recall is NL's max limit)
Will try again when I get back to my PC
Also please,forget not to comment on my question above i.e. what is the ideal price for a 50 week housing contract.
Thanks to you and others for the replies.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 5:39am On Mar 12, 2013
bump
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 1:35pm On Mar 12, 2013
Only students who have attended that specific university/ resided in that Hall/town will be able to answer specific questions about their facilities, generally the prices are around the same really, +/- £350
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 7:47am On Mar 13, 2013
Dis Guy: Only students who have attended that specific university/ resided in that Hall/town will be able to answer specific questions about their facilities, generally the prices are around the same really, +/- £350
Thanks Dis Guy for your insight
Its best one gets as many answers as possible to his questions because by the time Sept 2013 intendees swarm Nairaland, it will be harder getting swift replies
And the more insights one can get, the better it helps to crystallize one's knowledge regarding eventual decisions

I can afford even as high as 5,000 quid a year but for me, it about how much you can save while still getting quality seeing after graduation , one will still need money
TOMES OF IT!
And your Nigerian folks are looking toward you to 'deliver' financially grin grin grin
No need to be a money miss road especially in the UK clamping down on immigration
Going by your input, 350 quid a month points to 4200 quid a year, ain't that steep for decent budget housing?
Though I believe price bands will have more of a regional rather than a national connotation e.g. London area housing will be much more expensive than the North East housing
As I said earlier, thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Mrbeee(m): 11:14am On Mar 13, 2013
thanks for the great service you all are offering here on NL. Please does anyone have information about moderate cost of claiming an off campus accommodation in the various villages around Cranfield Uni taking into consideration the nearness of the villages to the institution?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 12:24pm On Mar 13, 2013
ochukoccna:

No need to be a money miss road especially in the UK clamping down on immigration
Going by your input, 350 quid a month points to 4200 quid a year, ain't that steep for decent budget housing?
Though I believe price bands will have more of a regional rather than a national connotation e.g. London area housing will be much more expensive than the North East housing
As I said earlier, thanks

The 350+/- i wrote is annual, i'm basically saying the difference per year in most cases is around that figure,

on a general note: I think where ever possible UNDERGRADUATE student especially international student should look towards university accommodations in their first year - my opinion
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Mar 13, 2013
adaobi123:
cool advice, if you dont mind me asking where do you school ?
warwick, its 6,050 so ...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Mar 13, 2013
steph7: warwick, its 6,050 so ...
wow such a good uni !!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 6:36pm On Mar 14, 2013
Dis Guy:

The 350+/- i wrote is annual, i'm basically saying the difference per year in most cases is around that figure,

on a general note: I think where ever possible UNDERGRADUATE student especially international student should look towards university accommodations in their first year - my opinion
OK to that
The main one I dug up online is slightly cheaper than that but still keeping my fingers crossed
Though I'm not going for a UG program, I'm leaning towards housing near the campus as close as possible
Thanks non the less
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 12:38pm On Mar 15, 2013
Dis Guy: University accommodation is safe, usually furnished and inclusive!

theres are some cost students dont calculate when looking for accommodation like transport to and from lectures
You are more likely to get the 'Student experience' living in university accommodation than living off; personally
i feel many international student get carried away easily when living in privately rented flats as they are more likely to be
living with other immigrants who are working and tend to get sucked in, making that (earning an income) their main priority

You get involved more with university life, your rooms cleaned once a week, you get repairs done by the management, no need
to be chasing after some dodgy landlord who'll ask for more money, you might even get under floor heating!!

I dont agree with you on that... I stay in an accommodation about 10 mins walk from school in Portsmouth and dont pay for transport. And for Uni of Portsmouth students, you are entitled to free bus transport from strategic places or bus stops on the school owned buses. That is one of the reasons I love this school to the last. Concerning proirity, I think its on the individual and not living with with other people. Its one's chioce here to do what you want.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by martina7: 1:54pm On Mar 15, 2013
I don't believe the fact with you on that... I stay in an housing about 10 minutes stroll from university in Portsmouth and don't pay for transportation.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 8:32pm On Mar 15, 2013
Martina7 abi wetin be your name, why do you always copy another person's post and re-post it as yours? It's really annoying, try to grow up and stop acting like a loony.

I think you are a robot sef.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Mar 17, 2013
So here goes.
For extra cash you can also consider registering for paid clinical trials. Use the cash or since we are in the charity season use the money towards a charity of your choice.
The internet is a good source just ensure the trials follow ethics committee. You need to have been registered to a Gp for 6 months or have ur Gp abroad be able to send ur medical details.

Another tip, if you shop at supermarket(hacer la compra) do it in the evening - all the reduced to clear items are done then

Also make use of discount websites for deals at restaurants,

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 1:53am On Mar 19, 2013
peteafrik88:

I dont agree with you on that... I stay in an accommodation about 10 mins walk from school in Portsmouth and dont pay for transport. And for Uni of Portsmouth students, you are entitled to free bus transport from strategic places or bus stops on the school owned buses. That is one of the reasons I love this school to the last. Concerning proirity, I think its on the individual and not living with with other people. Its one's chioce here to do what you want.

Thats totally cool, your experience with Portsmouth like many other universities up and down the country could be similar but then again there are hundreds of other universities with different arrangements or town set up, overall the advice is to plan/arrive early to get better options MOST especially undergraduates- settling into a new country/town aint easy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Mar 19, 2013
salsera: So here goes.
For extra cash you can also consider registering for paid clinical trials. Use the cash or since we are in the charity season use the money towards a charity of your choice.
The internet is a good source just ensure the trials follow ethics committee. You need to have been registered to a Gp for 6 months or have ur Gp abroad be able to send ur medical details.

Another tip, if you shop at supermarket(hacer la compra) do it in the evening - all the reduced to clear items are done then

the shopping is a good idea !!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 9:13pm On Mar 21, 2013
salsera: So here goes.

Thank you. Pls do you mind making the clinical trail clearer to me? I have come across this lately and am interested. Though still skeptical bout it
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 9:17am On Mar 22, 2013
peteafrik88:

Thank you. Pls do you mind making the clinical trail clearer to me? I have come across this lately and am interested. Though still skeptical bout it

I think it basically involves signing up to take part in clinically oriented experiments. For instance, I'm currently recruiting participants for my study, and they get compensated with some money (from Uni's pocket) for their time.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:55am On Mar 23, 2013
Well you need to do a search online for paid clinical trials. The website will give details of the trials they have so you can check which ur interested. Paid trials can range from 300 to 4000 pounds compensation.

Note there will be screenings and since this is research strict compliance to the regulations of the study
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 3:46pm On Mar 23, 2013
salsera: Well you need to do a search online for paid clinical trials. The website will give details of the trials they have so you can check which ur interested. Paid trials can range from 300 to 4000 pounds compensation.

Note there will be screenings and since this is research strict compliance to the regulations of the study

Okay, Thanx
So one can earn some few extra money with that un this country. Pls, how safe and reliable is that cos I want to be a part of it.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 7:17pm On Mar 23, 2013
FutureDon:

I think it basically involves signing up to take part in clinically oriented experiments. For instance, I'm currently recruiting participants for my study, and they get compensated with some money (from Uni's pocket) for their time.

If you dont mind, what is the pay to be a part in your research and the requirements. I am interested, maybe your can recruit me. I am available and in good health condition.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gunpoint(m): 11:08am On Mar 24, 2013
Hahahahaha. . .
Naija guys wan do clinical trials cos of mony, well for starters, for doz of u who don't knw wat its abt, lik my frndz wuld say, "google it" grin

Bt seriously, knw wat u r gettn urself into b4 u do it sha oh

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:10am On Mar 24, 2013
by clinical trials do you mean for when they are testing drugs right ? we were advised not to do them, as sometimes they can cause bad side effects

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:21am On Mar 24, 2013
adaobi123: by clinical trials do you mean for when they are testing drugs right ? we were advised not to do them, as sometimes they can cause bad side effects

That is what its basically.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:22am On Mar 24, 2013
justwise:

That is what its basically.
ohh thanks cheesy
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:24am On Mar 24, 2013
adaobi123:
ohh thanks cheesy

Pays well...but..could end in tears as well.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:27am On Mar 24, 2013
justwise:

Pays well...but..could end in tears as well.
thats why my college said we should not do them due to the fact that it may not end well

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (214) (Reply)

Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.