Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,311 members, 7,971,138 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 11:35 PM

CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism (16441 Views)

Lamido Sanusi, Ganduje At Global Islamic Summit In Dubai....photos / Emir Lamido Sanusi At The Hajj Pilgrimage In Mecca (Photos) / President Jonathan Visits Emir Of Kano, Lamido Sanusi (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by ocheejemb: 7:02pm On Apr 24, 2012
I know they take Plaigarism and not referencing properly very serious abroad (not in Nigeria though). But i dont know if delevering a speech using someone else's material counts as actual plaigarism, the problem is that it has been published on a website , i dont know the specific rules for that. But this just shows an oversight on Sanusi's part (or his speech writer because Im not too sure he'll have time to be writing speeches for universities and things)
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by PhysicsQED(m): 7:59pm On Apr 24, 2012
I don't think you can sue someone for using your words verbatim in a speech without acknowledging you.

It sounds frivolous and will probably be thrown out, meaning that Sanusi will probably never have to explain himself.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by PhysicsQED(m): 8:42pm On Apr 24, 2012
Alright, so I've been able to track down both Sanusi's speech and Professor Dike's article.

Now this is Dr. Dike's claim from the opening post:

He claimed that the CBN Governor, in a public lecture delivered at the Eight Convocation Ceremony of Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo state on 26 November, 2010, titled Growth Prospects For The Nigerian Economy, copied verbatim and pasted from his academic articles he published without referring to him as the original author of the work.

The plaintiff averred that Sanusi copied from pages 98,99 and 100 of his work titled, ‘Review of the Challenges Facing the Nigerian Economy: Is National Development Possible Without Technological Capability?’

He stated the copied lines as follows: “The challenges facing the economy is ineffective institutions and dilapidated infrastructure (bad roads, erratic power supply, limited access to potable water and basic healthcare, and ineffective regulatory agencies, etc). The plethora of reforms and policies are ineffective due to institutional failure (Hoff, 2003)”.

The above is just a few sentences from one of the publications in which Lamido Sanusi is alleged to have plagiarised.

At another lecture delivered by the nation’s Chief Banker at the Convocation Square, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi where he presented a paper titled ‘Global Financial Meltdown and the Reforms in the Nigerian Banking Sector’, Prof Dike alleged that Sanusi also copied verbatim articles originally written and published by him without acknowledging him as the author of the works from where the he sourced the materials for his lecture.

He also stated that Sanusi on different occasions copied his materials without acknowledging him as the original author of the works.

Now this is Dike's article:

http://www.jsd-africa.com/Jsda/V12No5_Fall2010_A/PDF/Review%20of%20the%20Challenges%20Facing%20the%20Nigerian%20Economy%20%28Dike%29.pdf

Now this is Sanusi's speech at Igbinedion University:

http://cenbank.org/out/speeches/2010/gov_convocation_lecture-igbinedion-university-okada_2010.pdf

The particular quote above in bold is in Dike's article on p. 99 as he stated. However the quote is NOT in Sanusi's convocation speech at Igbinedion University.

So the first of Dr. Dike's claims is absolute nonsense and I wouldn't be surprised if his other claims were also nonsense.

The thread title should maybe be updated by the mods to read "Nigerian academic in the U.S. levels false charge of plagiarism against Sanusi".
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by agabaI23(m): 8:46pm On Apr 24, 2012
PhysicsQED: I don't think you can sue someone for using your words verbatim in a speech without acknowledging you.

It sounds frivolous and will probably be thrown out, meaning that Sanusi will probably never have to explain himself.

Yea not if the speech is published in a website and made available to the public for download!
By that it is no longer just a speech, it is document that can be cited!
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by PhysicsQED(m): 8:55pm On Apr 24, 2012
agabaI23:
Yea not if the speech is published in a website and made available to the public for download!
By that it is no longer just a speech, it is document that can be cited!

Well it doesn't matter now anyway. The claim was garbage just as I suspected it would be.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by Rhino5dm: 9:17pm On Apr 24, 2012
Yet, another fraudulent hungry professor exposed? SMH!. . .where is eze ONLYFOOLISH?

PhysicsQED: Alright, so I've been able to track down both Sanusi's speech and Professor Dike's article.

Now this is Dr. Dike's claim from the opening post:

Now this is Dike's article:

http://www.jsd-africa.com/Jsda/V12No5_Fall2010_A/PDF/Review%20of%20the%20Challenges%20Facing%20the%20Nigerian%20Economy%20%28Dike%29.pdf

Now this is Sanusi's speech at Igbinedion University:

http://cenbank.org/out/speeches/2010/gov_convocation_lecture-igbinedion-university-okada_2010.pdf

The particular quote above in bold is in Dike's article on p. 99 as he stated. However the quote is NOT in Sanusi's convocation speech at Igbinedion university.

So the first of Dr. Dike's claims is absolute nonsense and I wouldn't be surprised if his other claims were also nonsense.

The thread title should maybe be updated by the mods to read "Nigerian academic in the U.S. levels false charge of plagiarism against Sanusi".

Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by Nobody: 12:04am On Apr 25, 2012
this is the quote from Sanusi's paper which he stole from the prof's paper.

"Infrastructural Challenges: one The main challenges’ facing the
economy is poor economic and social infrastructure: bad roads, erratic
power supply, limited access to portable water and basic healthcare
and much more." - GROWTH PROSPECTS FOR THE NIGERIAN ECONOMY(Convocation Lecture delivered at the Igbinedion University Eighth Convocation Ceremony, Okada, Edo State, November 26, 2010), Page 26.

like nigerians, like thief!
and you see Yoruba and a supposed educated edo eediot here defending their thief brother sanusi
mscheeeeeeeeeeeew! angry
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by Bastiger(m): 12:05am On Apr 25, 2012
There is nothing sentimental about this issue,if sanusi is found guilty of plagiarism,he should face the music,he should have acknowleged the original author in the first place and saved himself the embarassment.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by PhysicsQED(m): 12:32am On Apr 25, 2012
re@lchange:

and much more." - GROWTH PROSPECTS FOR THE NIGERIAN ECONOMY(Convocation Lecture delivered at the Igbinedion University Eighth Convocation Ceremony, Okada, Edo State, November 26, 2010), Page 26.

and you see Yoruba and a supposed educated edo eediot here defending their thief brother sanusi
mscheeeeeeeeeeeew! angry

Pipe down. Anybody who's read my posts on Sanusi on this forum knows I'm NOT a fan of Sanusi. I've criticized him multiple times, so I have no personal stake in defending him much less seeing him as my "brother". However, I acknowledge that I did miss that quote, which definitely seems to be a modified version of the quote by Dr. Dike.

Anyway, just for the record, it seems pretty clear now that Sanusi should have listed the paper of Dike's that he was using, because he (Sanusi) cited another different paper of Dike's explicitly at the end of the article. He also doesn't seem to understand academic conventions regarding exact phrases/quotes.

http://toluogunlesi./2012/04/24/lamido-sanusi-and-the-plagiarism-allegations-1/

Once again, I still don't think he can be sued for anything though.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by Nobody: 1:44am On Apr 25, 2012
Above all, I don't like that man called Sanusi Lamido.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by strangerf: 2:20am On Apr 25, 2012
CBN governor accused of plagiarizing . . . its over, WE ARE ALL GOING TO HELL.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by Onlytruth(m): 2:24am On Apr 25, 2012
re@lchange:

mscheeeeeeeeeeeew! angry

Realchange my brother calm down with your anger, though you have a case. Don't be annoyed by some Yoruba folks on this thread who would rather go into tribalism than address the issue before us. Very sad indeed. sad sad sad
I think PhysicsQED was deceived by Sanusi initially too. grin grin

@Physics,
I understand you made an honest mistake.
The man said that Sanusi plagiarized his works SEVERALLY.

Well, we shall see how this ends.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by strangerf: 2:38am On Apr 25, 2012
There is too much fraud in Nigeria and on NL: our politicians, Emeagwali, Nchara, Ekt bear, and now Sanusi. Nigerians and fraud, same naa nii
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by Onlytruth(m): 2:39am On Apr 25, 2012
strangerf: There is too much fraud in Nigeria and on NL: our politicians, Emeagwali, Nchara, Ekt bear, and now Sanusi. Nigerians and fraud, same naa nii

grin grin grin
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by strangerf: 2:41am On Apr 25, 2012
AjanleKoko: This should be interesting.
Will follow keenly.

Of course, what else do you have going for you in your life?
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by strangerf: 2:45am On Apr 25, 2012
omongbatic:

Then: ''I used same data for two published papers''-Dapo Bear
Now: ''I used data from a conference proceedings to write a published paper'' - ekt_bear.

Remember also you claimed to be helping illegal immigrants. grin

You are a fraud and a fraudulent liar.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

This guy makes Tinubu look like a saint.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by Nobody: 2:48am On Apr 25, 2012
strangerf:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

This guy makes Tinubu look like a saint.

As if you're not an illegal immigrant yourself.

Better get your boat ready.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by PhysicsQED(m): 2:49am On Apr 25, 2012
strangerf: CBN governor accused of plagiarizing . . . its over, WE ARE ALL GOING TO HELL.

I can't tell if you're joking or being pessimistic, but what is clear is that the CBN governor a) doesn't understand how to properly cite other people's work and b) doesn't understand the simple phrase "potable water" despite being a Foucault-reading, Marx-quoting "philosopher".

@ Onlytruth, yeah, I totally missed it. Sanusi's statement is close, but slightly altered so my search was too exact and I didn't come across the quote.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by Ndipe(m): 2:54am On Apr 25, 2012
Beaf: I pity Sanusi. The worst labels a man can have are thief and cheat.

Do you think he cares about these labels?
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by strangerf: 2:55am On Apr 25, 2012
PhysicsQED:

I can't tell if you're joking or being pessimistic, but what is clear is that the CBN governor a) doesn't understand how to properly cite other people's work and b) doesn't understand the simple phrase "potable water" despite being a Foucault-reading, Marx-quoting "philosopher".

@ Onlytruth, yeah, I totally missed it. Sanusi's statement is close, but slightly altered so my search was too exact and I didn't come across the quote.

This guy has a masters degree from LSE . . . stop making excuses for him jo. He is a plagiarizer simplicita.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by Onlytruth(m): 3:00am On Apr 25, 2012
PhysicsQED:

hehehe! grin grin cheesy

Nigerians like to "pasmaga" a lot.

Look, I still think that Sanusi is just a victim of poor education.
For me, that is the bottomline.

Now imagine someone like that running our monetary policy.

I jealously guard Nigeria's monetary policy because it is one of the FEW good things we have in that country all these years.
If you look at African and third world countries, most of them lose control of their currencies and suffer hyperinflation as a result at one time or another. In the 50-something years of Nigeria's existence, our money has never really gone to the dogs.
I am proud of that. For a country that produces and exports little, that is phenomenal.
Our exchange rate could have been N1000 to the dollar when oil was trading at $20/barrel. It never happened and I'm proud of that. cool

So, we must chase all quacks out of our treasury house! cool cool
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by ektbear: 3:03am On Apr 25, 2012
Sanusi?

LSE?

When?
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by PhysicsQED(m): 3:28am On Apr 25, 2012
ekt_bear: Sanusi?

LSE?

When?

https://www.nairaland.com/580205/sanusi-presented-central-bank-governor/3#7493963

Apparently he took some courses there, but his master's degree is from Abu Zaria, not the LSE:
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by Nobody: 3:35am On Apr 25, 2012
PhysicsQED:

https://www.nairaland.com/580205/sanusi-presented-central-bank-governor/3#7493963

Apparently he took some courses there, but his master's degree is from Abu Zaria, not the LSE.
Are you speaking tongue-in-cheek?
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by ektbear: 3:38am On Apr 25, 2012
When did he take these courses at LSE?
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by ektbear: 3:38am On Apr 25, 2012
When did he get this masters from ABU Zaria?
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by PhysicsQED(m): 3:39am On Apr 25, 2012
^^^
No. I wasn't trying to be funny/ironic by citing Jarus. I just put that link up there because it clears up the inaccurate LSE story.

Here are links describing Sanusi's education, experience, etc.:

http://www.oecd.org/speaker/0,3438,en_21571361_46558043_47862978_1_1_1_1,00.html

http://www.africansuccess.org/visuFiche.php?id=871&lang=en
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by ektbear: 3:48am On Apr 25, 2012
So if he spent 1 year on youth service, did he complete this MS from ABU in 1 year?

Did they even offer a 1 year MS at ABU in the early 80s?
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by PhysicsQED(m): 3:52am On Apr 25, 2012
ekt_bear: So if he spent 1 year on youth service, did he complete this MS from ABU in 1 year?

Did they even offer a 1 year MS at ABU in the early 80s?

Good question. But I have seen profiles of academics that earned their master's in 1 year.

Also, I haven't seen anything that shows that he took courses at the LSE so maybe that's a complete myth.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by ektbear: 3:55am On Apr 25, 2012
ABU today has a 2 year MS program.

I don't know if it was one year or not in the early 1980s.

Anyone who attended the school around that time or who would otherwise be familiar with it know?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

FG To Tackle JAMBS Another Boko-Haram Group / Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery / Adams Unaji Is Dead (Occupy Nigeria Activist)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.