Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,850 members, 7,942,134 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 09:18 PM

CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism (16408 Views)

Lamido Sanusi, Ganduje At Global Islamic Summit In Dubai....photos / Emir Lamido Sanusi At The Hajj Pilgrimage In Mecca (Photos) / President Jonathan Visits Emir Of Kano, Lamido Sanusi (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by PhysicsQED(m): 4:04am On Apr 25, 2012
ekt_bear: ABU today has a 2 year MS program.

I don't know if it was one year or not in the early 1980s.

Anyone who attended the school around that time or who would otherwise be familiar with it know?

Trying to figure out whether he dodged NYSC? grin grin I wouldn't put it past him, being a haughty Kano prince and all.

I don't know how one could prove/confirm that he dodged even if one confirmed that it was a 2 year program though.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by strangerf: 4:20am On Apr 25, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Trying to figure out whether he dodged NYSC? grin grin I wouldn't put it past him, being a haughty Kano prince and all.

I don't know how one could prove/confirm that he dodged even if one confirmed that it was a 2 year program.

I doubt that. I dont think he finished his masters at ABU.

http://www.africansuccess.org/visuFiche.php?id=871&lang=en

Look at the wording: ". . .and he did the course work for Master of Science degree in Economics with distinction in Monetary Policy in 1983"

Yeah, my LSE comment wasnt meant to be taken seriously. Just trying to mock Jarus
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by PhysicsQED(m): 4:36am On Apr 25, 2012
strangerf:

I doubt that. I dont think he finished his masters at ABU.

http://www.africansuccess.org/visuFiche.php?id=871&lang=en

Look at the wording: ". . .and he did the course work for Master of Science degree in Economics with distinction in Monetary Policy in 1983"

Yeah, my LSE comment wasnt meant to be taken seriously. Just trying to mock Jarus

Yeah that is pretty fishy wording. I don't know why that would be written like that. I see that this has been discussed before, on p. 5 of Katsumoto's thread questioning Sanusi's qualifications. They reached the conclusion that he didn't have an Msc.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by braine(m): 6:02am On Apr 25, 2012
It must be one of his half baked secretaries who wrote his speech that just copied and pasted the article
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by Jarus(m): 7:46am On Apr 25, 2012
I discussed this with SLS yesterday evening and he made the following points:

1, The matter is in court so he wouldn't want to make official statements, but his communication guys may issue a statement to clarify that it was an institutional paper prepared by his research department, not his personal paper.

2, One Victor E.D (Dike) was mentioned/given credit in the speech, so he doesn't know what he is talking about

3, What is seminal in 'the problem of Nigeria is dilapidated infrastructure'? Isn't that banal?

Before the discussion drifted intp Barca/Chelsea match which was ongoing at the time of our discussion. SLS, like me, is an Arsenal fan.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by strangerf: 8:01am On Apr 25, 2012
^^^

SO Sanusi has a research department? interesting!

One wonders how the so called research department is funded.

PS: Research department ko, fall guy ni
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by Jarus(m): 8:13am On Apr 25, 2012
Why will a Central Bank not have a research unit?
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by ektbear: 8:26am On Apr 25, 2012
Fair enough. If it was his research department who plagiarized, then perhaps there is an argument for not putting the blame on him (not saying that I agree with such an argument, but it isn't totally off-base.)

Surprising though that he doesn't prepare his own speeches...or hire more competent men.

Not a good look either way.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by strangerf: 8:27am On Apr 25, 2012
Jarus: Why will a Central Bank not have a research unit?

A research unit for the CBN writing Sanusi's speech?

Jarus, does that make sense to you?
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by ektbear: 8:31am On Apr 25, 2012
Speeches contain facts, figures, tables, data, do they not?

So at a minimum one might speculate that somebody else is responsible for assembling that data, not him. Unless we expect him to be pecking away at his computer looking for it himself...

Now, does that mean he didn't write the plagiarized material, that it was someone else?

Only he and those involved know for sure.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by Jarus(m): 8:52am On Apr 25, 2012
Corporate communications(or special assistants) unit write speeches, but they will collaborate with Research to supply facts and figures. Isn't that well known? A CBN governor cannot be preparing his speeches, except when he decides to talk extempore like the CFA talk.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by strangerf: 8:52am On Apr 25, 2012
Speeches contain facts, figures, tables, data, do they not?

Yeah, all speeches contain a bit of all of that

So at a minimum one might speculate that somebody else is responsible for assembling that data, not him.

Why cant that somebody be Sanusi? Its a commencement speech, not some high-level presentation to foreign investors . . .

Unless we expect him to be pecking away at his computer looking for it himself...

He alone knows what to be included in the speech and the form the speech would take, he knows where to find the data and I expect him to "peck" away as long as the "pecking" is done in his spare time/off duty hours.

Now, does that mean he didn't write the plagiarized material, that it was someone else?

Only he and those involved know for sure.

If he didnt write this particular speech, is it safe to assume that he didnt write his other speeches? So all publicly available speeches credited to Sanusi are in fact not from Sanusi. He is just the reader . . . you see where this is going? So he really doesnt believe "The Yoruba have become Nigeria’s wailing tribe, detaching themselves from the rest of the country and alienating the people they hope to rule; abusing other Nigerians through their vociferous media and hoping for votes from the same Nigerians on ballot day?" And his articles on Fuel subsidy?
http://www.gamji.com/sanusi/sanusi2.htm

So how do we differentiate between what is written by Sanusi that is publicly credited to Sanusi versus What is credited to Sanusi witten by this "ghost" research department? The research department so redundant they have time to write the CBN governor's commencement (personal) speech. WHat else do they do for him that we dont know about, yet funded by the tax payers.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by ektbear: 8:58am On Apr 25, 2012
Fstranger, you know how much I dislike SLS. I hate his guts. But that I hate someone's guts doesn't mean that I am unwilling to listen to what might be an honest mistake.

Just because I'm saying that it *might not have been him* doesn't mean I am saying it 100% wasn't him. I don't know. And have no way of knowing, if this was a group-written document, as Jarus seems to be saying.

(Then again, for all we know SLS is lying. But I'm trying to give someone the benefit of the doubt here a bit...I assume that he isn't stupid enough to dig himself into a bigger hole by lying.)

And like I said earlier, even if it was his underling who fvcked up...well generally if your underling messes up, you get some of the blame too.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by strangerf: 9:00am On Apr 25, 2012
Jarus: Corporate communications(or special assistants) unit write speeches, but they will collaborate with Research to supply facts and figures. Isn't that well known? A CBN governor cannot be preparing his speeches, except when he decides to talk extempore like the CFA talk.

That would be true if we were here talking about speeches to be presented to the Senate, President, House of Assembly, Foreign investors and other high-level speeches where the CBN governor was representing Nigeria.

This particular speech was presented at a commencement gathering. No one forced him to deliver the speech. He went there in his private capacity, not as the CBN governor. He alone is responsible for the content.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by ektbear: 9:05am On Apr 25, 2012
Jarus, the question is, the stuff which Sanusi is accused of plagiarizing, was that written by him, or by this research department?

Like, this speech given at a commencement for example.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by nduchucks: 9:41am On Apr 25, 2012
Many of the posters on this thread should really hide their faces in shame. The faceless NL "bright intellectuals" are basically full of hatred and bigotry, but will, in their usual display of intellectual dishonesty and lying to themselves, claim that they are fair minded and educated people who are only out to seek the truth of the matter at hand.

They got very excited thinking that they've finally "got" SLS and posted junk and frankly, other criminal speculations about how Sanusi may have compromised his integrity in many other ways.

The sad thing is that most of these people are exiles and under achievers who are not recognized for any meaningful contribution to the diaspora society which they live in, and are not known for any accomplishment in Nigeria. Understandably, they are filled with anger and hatred for any accomplished overachiever like Sanusi, in addition to being consumed by self hatred.

Shame on you people!!! You know yourselves.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by Jarus(m): 9:42am On Apr 25, 2012
Stranger, first, the Yoruba article and others were written before he became apublic figure, some as far back as 1998, so it needs no telling that those were his personal articles written as a public commentator.

As CBN boss, he has an array of staff(research, corporate communications, special assistants etc) at his service. So it is safe to assume, without him even having to tell us, that some people do underground works for him before his speeches and presentations. Somebody even mentioned this possibility earlier in the thread before I relayed his defence here. Even CEOs in large corporate set-ups have their speeches researched and written for them, not to talk of a CBN boss, jumping from one meeting to another.

These guys who attended a CFA conference in Edinburgh noted this in their article below:

Once Governor Sanusi mounted the podium, he started his speech by joking about how his staff religiously prepare speeches and presentations every time he had a speaking engagement and how he had informed them that it is his prerogative to decide whether to use the speeches or not, and that this time, he had chosen to speak without using prepared speech.
http://www.proshareng.com/articles/2264 That was February 2011.

All these said, I think he is still not totally exonerated

1, He takes credit for the speeches, he should take blame too now that something has gone wrong with the speech

2, He has prerogative to use the speech or not use it

3, He could have asked the speeh preparers/researchers questions, or at least give a standing instruction that in their researches for him, due credit shoudl be given to authors of materials they use

Nevertheless, I believe it's a careless oversight.

That is, of course, if Dike's claim is true.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by wesley80(m): 9:44am On Apr 25, 2012
ekt_bear: Jarus, the question is, the stuff which Sanusi is accused of plagiarizing, was that written by him, or by this research department?

Like, this speech given at a commencement for example.

Jarus: but his communication guys may issue a statement to clarify that it was an institutional paper prepared by his research department, not his personal paper.

^ One would think this was clear enough!
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by ektbear: 9:47am On Apr 25, 2012
A convocation speech at a university = "institution paper"?

That was not "clear enough" to me at all...
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by AjanleKoko: 9:55am On Apr 25, 2012
I think this was a bit of a petulant lawsuit.
I don't see Dr Dike getting anything out of this.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by wesley80(m): 9:55am On Apr 25, 2012
ekt_bear : A convocation speech at a university = "institution paper"? That was not "clear enough" to me at all...

^^ Perhaps you have a problem understanding what the word "insitutional" means.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by ektbear: 10:08am On Apr 25, 2012
I think I understand the word just fine. The point is, if you give a commencement speech at a university, this is probably not part of your job description as CBN head.

So not a priori clear that you'll be able to expend the resources of your institution to prepare that speech...
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by wesley80(m): 10:24am On Apr 25, 2012
ekt_bear: I think I understand the word just fine. The point is, if you give a commencement speech at a university, this is probably not part of your job description at CBN head.

So not a priori clear that you'll be able to expend the resources of your institution to prepare that speech...

Sorry but I dont think you understood the context the word was used as fine as you think, in any case Sanusi didn't give the speech in his capacity as a Kano Prince but as Nigeria's CB governor so trying to fault him for using "the resources of his institution" to prepare a speech is pure baloney.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by ektbear: 10:30am On Apr 25, 2012
There is no "in any case."

That is the heart of the matter...you don't seem to understand.

There are two possibilities:
A) He gave the speech in his capacity as CBN head. Then absolutely fine to use CBN resources.
B) He gave the speech as a private individual. In which case, your "institutional" line of reasoning doesn't work.

If case A is true, how does giving the commencement speech relate to his mandate as CBN governor?
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by ektbear: 10:32am On Apr 25, 2012
If I'm the CEO of Apple, and am invited to give a speech at my alma mater, I presumably cannot use Apple resources to prepare said speech...it has absolutely nothing to do with what my actual job is..
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by derolly(m): 10:40am On Apr 25, 2012
SLS-kai Banza barawo... Prof Dike was kind enough to demand for 15million compensation fund walahi if i was the one u'd surely vomit 100million just as you offered Boko haram victims...Oloshi
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by agabaI23(m): 11:13am On Apr 25, 2012
Jarus: I discussed this with SLS yesterday evening and he made the following points:

1, The matter is in court so he wouldn't want to make official statements, but his communication guys may issue a statement to clarify that it was an institutional paper prepared by his research department, not his personal paper

If this was to be a compliment, I doubt if the CBN governor would have given credit to his research unit. As far as i am concerned, it is irresponsible of him at this moment to pass buck which actually is an inadvertent acceptance of guilt.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by wesley80(m): 11:22am On Apr 25, 2012
ekt_bear: If I'm the CEO of Apple, and am invited to give a speech at my alma mater, I presumably cannot use Apple resources to prepare said speech...it has absolutely nothing to do with what my actual job is..

Well, thats because you're the CEO of Apple and not some Public officer in a third world country with invites every other week to grace all sorts of occasions. Who has the time to prepare well researched speeches for every occasion?
This was a speech that bore very little academic weight and delivered in his capacity as the CBN governor. Its not like this was some Phd work or a published article by the governor so if he says it was prepared by "his" research dept, then give him the benefit of doubt cos there's absolutely nothing wrong in a public officer esp one in a demanding role as the CBN governor having his speech prepared by an in house crew.
While I believe that ultimate responsibilty should be borne by Sanusi for the oversight, I also believe the issue here is at most trivial and like every smart guy, Sanusi has got his ars* very well covered.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by Jarus(m): 11:26am On Apr 25, 2012
agabaI23:

If this was to be a compliment, I doubt if the CBN governor would have given credit to his research unit. As far as i am concerned, it is irresponsible of him at this moment to pass buck which actually is an inadvertent acceptance of guilt.

That's why I mentioned this:

Jarus: All these said, I think he is still not totally exonerated

1, He takes credit for the speeches, he should take blame too now that something has gone wrong with the speech

Stil,, it's not been proved that Dike's claims are true, especially as his name was mentioned in the paper.
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by ektbear: 11:29am On Apr 25, 2012
wesley80:

You have missed the point of my Apple example.

Where did delivering convocation speeches at universities (private university, for that matter) become part of the job description of CBN head?

Like..so any time he gives a speech anywhere in public, even if it has absolutely nothing to do with his job, it is appropriate to have his staff prepare the speeches?

Even when it has nothing to do with his mandate, what he was hired to do...?
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by ektbear: 11:36am On Apr 25, 2012
So my question is, is any time SLS invited anywhere to give a talk, even it has nothing little or nothing to do with his official mandate as CBN head, is it still fine to use CBN resources to prepare that speech?

I mean it seems slightly strange from my POV.

Also..how on earth does he have time to be doing all of this stuff not related to his job, and moreover spending work-related funds on things again unrelated to his job?
Re: CBN's Lamido Sanusi Sued For Plagiarism by PHIPEX(m): 11:37am On Apr 25, 2012
I wonder if the court will exonerate him simply because he said someone in his department wrote the speech for him afterall, he didn't inform the people he was speaking to that the speech he was reading was not his'. Whenever the president comes out to read a speech to us we don't care who wrote it for him, all we know is that " the President said". I wonder if people defending SLS would'v done same if Jonathan was the one involved. He takes the glory for his speeches so I don't care if somebody else wrote this one for him afterall he wouldn't have told us if this was to be a compliment.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Onnoghen: How Osinbajo Confirmed Buhari Not In Charge Of Govt – Fayose / 2023: Court Asked To Disqualify Tinubu Over ‘Questionable’ Qualifications / Tinubu: I Am One Of The Best Friends Of The Christian Community (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.