Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,451 members, 7,911,106 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 03:10 AM

Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) (38716 Views)

James Ibori Released From Prison, Reasted / Gowon's Son JackMusa Released From Prison In U.S / Awolowo's Letter Of Resignation To Yakubu Gowon. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 6:33pm On Jun 27, 2012
ebamma: if pa awolowo had known that this is wat nigeria will turn to, he could have supported ojukwu's biafra cause.

You mean the same Ojukwu that said the Igbo would export Igbo civil servants to other parts of the country after his fellow Igbo, Ironsi, signed the unification decree 34 in May 1966?

And we are talking about the same Awolowo who didn't want the country Nigeria but was forced into the union called Nigeria. The same Awo that advised Zik that a secession clause be inserted into the constitution but was ignored?

The problem with some of you Igbo is that you are opportunists. They wanted Nigeria at all costs because they wanted to dominate others but as soon as that plan fell apart, they suddenly realised that Nigeria was no good and expected that Awo (and by extension, the Yoruba) would reason along with them. Unfortunately, the world doesn't work that way.

Everyone must live with the consequences of their choice including choices made by others.

6 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 6:40pm On Jun 27, 2012
pistol: So awolowo was begging an igbo man 4 his life.

He was later released only for him to accept the minister of finance position given to him by the hausas that he is trying to paint black here.

And used that position to starve 2 million biafrans to death..

Whom is he trying to fool here.?

D sage indeed

Who should be guilty of starvation?

Shouldn't it be those who continued fighting even when they knew they couldn't win and couldn't feed their subjects?
Shouldn't it be those who fed fat because they claimed they were soldiers while children and women went hungry?
Shouldn't it be those who charged landing fees to charities who were flying in food and aid?
Shouldn't it be those who refused food because they only wanted food to be flown in at night so that weapons could be flown in as well?

No one or state has a business fighting a war if it can't feed itself. That is a basic requirement of war, even before weapons.

3 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jun 27, 2012
Katsumoto:

You mean the same Ojukwu that said the Igbo would export Igbo civil servants to other parts of the country after his fellow Igbo, Ironsi, signed the unification decree 34 in May 1966?

And we are talking about the same Awolowo who didn't want the country Nigeria but was forced into the union called Nigeria. The same Awo that advised Zik that a secession clause be inserted into the constitution but was ignored?

The problem with some of you Igbo is that you are opportunists. They wanted Nigeria at all costs because they wanted to dominate others but as soon as that plan fell apart, they suddenly realised that Nigeria was no good and expected that Awo (and by extension, the Yoruba) would reason along with them. Unfortunately, the world doesn't work that way.

Everyone must live with the consequences of their choice including choices made by others.

Unfortunately the people you are trying to educate are either not interested or impervious to learning. They would rather blame Awo and Yorubas for everything, from gully erosion in iboland to cases of impotence amongst ibo men.

3 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jun 27, 2012
Katsumoto,

You never fail to enlighten us with your brilliant butt-kicking posts!! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by meksroland: 6:42pm On Jun 27, 2012
Timehin: Why do some people claimed AWO was against the igbos?

The letter confirmed its the northerners that are anti-igbo and events since then have shown who are their enemies.
who is Awolowo please?? There is nothing the yorubas will say that will be enough to appease the igbos
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 6:43pm On Jun 27, 2012
Aigbofa:

Unfortunately the people you are trying to educate are either not interested or impervious to learning. They would rather blame Awo and Yorubas for everything, from gully erosion in iboland to cases of impotence amongst ibo men.

Remaining stupid and ignorant is their prerogative but it is our prerogative whether we allow them to continue selling lies and misinformation.

When they start and I have the time, I will be here.

3 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 6:46pm On Jun 27, 2012
meksroland: who is Awolowo please?? There is nothing the yorubas will say that will be enough to appease the igbos

No one is trying to appease anyone.

If the unappeased like, they can smash their heads against the wall. No one gives a fvcking damn.

Life is too short for anyone to be worrying about what a crybaby does or think.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 6:47pm On Jun 27, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Katsumoto,

You never fail to enlighten us with your brilliant butt-kicking posts!! cheesy

grin
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 6:51pm On Jun 27, 2012
Spirit of Okija:

He didnt beg for his life and then turn around to backstab the person who speared his life..

How did Ojukwu spare his life?

Please provide some thing that supports this line of reasoning or articulate your answer using logic.

Passed down stories don't wash with everyone.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by olyivy(f): 7:08pm On Jun 27, 2012
Katsumoto:

How did Ojukwu spare his life?

Please provide some thing that supports this line of reasoning or articulate your answer using logic.

Passed down stories don't wash with everyone.
No one needs to support anything with anything. Your Awolo wowo is a backstabber, a serpent, suicidal and a war criminal.

It is a FACT and even you will not change that! tongue
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 7:16pm On Jun 27, 2012
olyivy:
No one needs to support anything with anything. Your Awolo wowo is a backstabber, a serpent, suicidal and a war criminal.

It is a FACT and even you will not change that! tongue

You need to appraise your thinking ability and I don't mean it as an insult. Do you want me to help you with the definition of fact?

Awolowo is a human being and cannot be a serpent.
Awolowo's death certificate doesn't state that he committed suicide so your beer parlour gist can't make it factual.
Awolowo was never charged nor convicted of war crimes. Another obvious lie
Awolowo never reached an agreement with anyone which he broke. I challenge you to prove me wrong. I am not interested what was said in your village square

Thankfully you are entitled to your own opinion just as everyone is.

Of course you resort to emotional outbursts when you can't provide an intelligent rebuttal.

Again I ask, how and why did Ojukwu free Awolowo?

Why did he do it 1 week after Gowon came to power when he didn't do it for 6 months when his kinsman, Ironsi, was in power?

6 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by ACM10: 7:19pm On Jun 27, 2012
Katsumoto: So many ignorant people on NL; even if they are ignorant, using logic can also help in analysing a scenario.

Awo was charged with Treasonable felony in November 1962 and sentenced in September 1963

In March 1966, Awo wrote to Ironsi from prison asking to be released but was ignored by Ironsi. Between January 1966 and July 1966, Ironsi was Head of State and Ojukwu was Governor of the Eastern region.

Gowon was sworn-in in the evening of July 30 1966 but made his announcement as Head of state of August 1st.

Obafemi Awolowo was released from prison on the 8th of August 1966; exactly 1 week after Gowon's ascension. Awo was driven to Ikenne in Murtala Mohamed's car.

On the 8th of August 1966, who was paying the wages of the Warden at the Federal Prison in Calabar? Was it not Gowon? Who was also paying Ojukwu's salary as the Governor of the Eastern region?

Ojukwu wants us to believe that while he was in power with another Igbo as Head of State for 6 months, he could not release Awo from prison but could release Awo from prison exactly one week after a new government, one which he did not recognise, headed by Gowon was formed.

Ojukwu could not have released Awo from prison because he didn't have the powers to do so. He was only being an opportunist when he made that claim.

The Yoruba soldiers released by Ojukwu were released after the war started in 1967 and all stayed in Biafra to fight on the Biafran side.

You've started with your half-truths and misinformations again
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 7:20pm On Jun 27, 2012
ACM10:

The logical position would be to provide an intelligent rebuttal. I am waiting.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jun 27, 2012
I'm expecting Dede1 to come and post his usual garbage.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by T9ksy(m): 7:22pm On Jun 27, 2012
olyivy:

[b]It is a FACT [/b]and even you will not change that! tongue

shocked shocked
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by chino11(m): 7:23pm On Jun 27, 2012
Confirmed Awaolowo was a confirmed ex convict and a suicidal personality:

"Awolowo and his supporters who had been in detention since Nov. 1962 were subsequently charged for treasonable felony. In 1963 Awolowo was convicted of treason and sentenced to ten years imprisonment. The Western Region experienced cataclysmic implosion despite the near-police state imposed on the region.
"

http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/2004/database/obiani.html
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by T9ksy(m): 7:27pm On Jun 27, 2012
ACM10:

In that case, let's hear your own half-truths and misinformation, then. grin
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 7:28pm On Jun 27, 2012
chino11: Confirmed Awaolowo was a confirmed ex convict and a suicidal personality:

"Awolowo and his supporters who had been in detention since Nov. 1962 were subsequently charged for treasonable felony. In 1963 Awolowo was convicted of treason and sentenced to ten years imprisonment. The Western Region experienced cataclysmic implosion despite the near-police state imposed on the region.
"

http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/2004/database/obiani.html

So Awo was suicidal for 25 years before committing suicide in your 'dreams'?
I don't want to derail this thread about what led to Awo going to prison; that is for another day.

Today, I want someone to provide a reasonable argument as to how Ojukwu freed Awo from prison. Any takers??
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by mbourie(m): 7:30pm On Jun 27, 2012
Most people are doomed because dey don't study or read history-pistol u are a good historian-Awolowo practises all forms of corruption-nepotism,cronyism,favouritism. He betrayed d igbos and starved dem in d course of d war, as if dat was not okay he overthrew Zik of Africa from seat after he had lost @ d eastern region.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jun 27, 2012
Bwahahahaha

Katsumoto alone has destroyed all these bigots - both males and females.. grin

I can conclude that his IQ is like 15 times the IQ of each of these bigots..

Which means their IQs are in single digit...

It su.cks to have low IQ. shocked

5 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Wislet(f): 7:32pm On Jun 27, 2012
afam4eva: I think this thread should be locked and the key thrown away because we know how this thread will end.
grin grin grin grin grin
hopefully people have matured.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 7:32pm On Jun 27, 2012
T9ksy:

In that case, let's hear your own half-truths and misinformation, then. grin

Abi o.

Reminds me of someone who is all heated up for a fight and tells his opponent, I don't fight on Wednesdays, I will see you tomorrow.

3 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 7:38pm On Jun 27, 2012
mbourie: Most people are doomed because dey don't study or read history-pistol u are a good historian-Awolowo practises all forms of corruption-nepotism,cronyism,favouritism. He betrayed d igbos and starved dem in d course of d war, as if dat was not okay he overthrew Zik of Africa from seat after he had lost @ d eastern region.

You accuse others of what you are painfully guilty of.

When did Awo contest in the Eastern region? Your history books didn't tell you that it was Zik who overthrew Eyo Ita in the Eastern region after he, Zik, lost in the west?

Awo never betrayed the Igbos because
1. He wasn't their elected leader
2. He didn't reach any agreements with them

He didn't starve anyone because
1. He wasn't a war general
2. He wasn't their father/leader
3. He wasn't a farmer/trader who collected monies and refused to supply goods
4. It wasn't his job to supply food items to the Igbos

If I am wrong on any of the above, please feel free to correct me.

2 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by T9ksy(m): 7:43pm On Jun 27, 2012
Katsumoto:

Abi o.

Reminds me of someone who is all heated up for a fight and tells his opponent, I don't fight on Wednesdays, I will see you tomorrow.

cheesy cheesy cheesy

kkk17: [/color]

that's why to an average igbo man a youruba will always be ''osu imi''

[color=#000099] And wtf is an "Osu imi"?
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 7:45pm On Jun 27, 2012
I will respect anyone who can prove the following:

1. Awolowo was released before July 30th
2. It was Ojukwu's car that took Awo to Ikenne
3. Ojukwu was so strong and powerful from his base in Enugu that he prevented Gowon from re-arresting Awo once Awo left the Eastern region and arrived in the Western region
4. Ojukwu started the process of releasing Awo from prison as soon as Ojukwu became Governor but it was a coincidence that it was effected one week after Gowon became Head of State
5. Ojukwu was responsible for paying the salaries of the warden in Calabar
6. Ojukwu stopped receiving his salary from the federal government and ensured that all easterners stopped receiving their salaries as well as soon Gowon became HOS

6 Likes

Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Katsumoto: 7:46pm On Jun 27, 2012
T9ksy:

cheesy cheesy cheesy

And wtf is an "Osu imi"?

A better question would be 'who the hell cares'?
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by Wislet(f): 7:51pm On Jun 27, 2012
veraponpo: The main problem we have in this country is allowing the Ibos to be staying with the rest of us. I have no apology fo saying this. For the following reasons:
1. They argue blindly even when they dont know. I could remember one auto part seller (Ibo man) arguing with me in 2006 (an OAU graduate) that Nigeria's population was more than that of Brazil.
2. They always believe they are wiser even when they dont have half of your knowledge.
3. They always act before they think -the reason for Nzeogwu Kaduna's coup de tat(sorry for the spelling).
4. They always see others as being inferior to them even when you are the one hosting them, teaching them and helping them. Unnecessary pomposity
5. They always believe they can out-smart u in all areas especially.
6. They see others as coward because they fought just one senseless war (Biafrian war) and lost forgeting that Yoruba started Wild Wild West war in 1962 to 1965.
7. Always call Awolowo a betrayer because he advised Gowon against them forgeting that Biafrian soldiers started it by killing Yorubas in Ore (Ondo State).

I hate the Ibos bunch of unwise elements, selfish and idiotic set of people.
hmmm.
Are you the definition of wise?
This write up says the author of these comments lacks sound thinking.
Let ur hatred eat you up.
The world will still exist oblivious of you in your small world of hate.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo’s Letter From Prison (dated 28th March 1966) by T9ksy(m): 7:54pm On Jun 27, 2012
Katsumoto:

A better question would be 'who the hell cares'?

Of course, i don't give a rat.s ar.se what an average ibo man thinks of me.

Just want to know the meaning. Reminds me of my secondary school days at M.C.S.S and the ibo boys there,used

to sing "Otu negi". It was only recently i learnt they were referring to someone's mother's private parts!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

2,000 Soldiers, Jets Deployed To Borno / Assets Declaration Documents Detail Bukola Saraki’s Theft And Looting (PHOTOS) / NDLEA Intercepts ₦6.5b Heroin At Lagos Airport, Declares Drug Baron Wanted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.