Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,054 members, 7,906,898 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 06:21 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (122) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1825595 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) ... (711) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 1:57pm On Aug 03, 2013
Things are finally looking up for the South East in particular, and the old Eastern Region in general! The potential of a Soludo led gov't in Anambra is also cause for optimism. smiley

What we should pray and work for is that President GEJ is returned to office come 2015; so those that have never wished us well will not continue from where they left off in 2007, and put a spanner in the works of the Greater Eastern Region regeneration and renaissance!

We are claiming the blessings God Almighty has kept for us, come hell or high water! angry

10 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by kettykin: 4:12pm On Aug 03, 2013
I just saw the post from Kariko, to speed up development i suggest the The rail link from Ibaka can be linked to the Rail link at Aba (a big rail terminal /station should be in Aba), then from Aba goods can be moved either to Enugu or Port Harcourt.

The new rail link i am proposing is from Ibaka to Aba and from Aba to Onitsha via owerri , orlu and Nnewi,heavy TEU from Ibaka can be transported to Aba via rail then to enugu or Port Harcour via the Enugu -Aba - PH rail link and to owerri (via imo Airport), Owerri city, Orlu city then Onitsha via Nnewi.

Please who is the Minister of foreign affairs , there is a very big need for China , India and our old associates like france and canada to maintain a diplomatic offices/Consular offices in the East either in Enugu or PH by the time the big countries of Europe, Britain Russia and US see the economic Miracle taking place in the East they will be forced to rush and open offices

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nebeuwa(m): 4:17pm On Aug 03, 2013
Enugu should be our main priority. We must pour funds and locate industries in this city so it can be a fitting capital for the Ndigbo.

The writing is already on the wall.

I didn't realize this until now.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by kettykin: 4:29pm On Aug 03, 2013
IGBO-SON:
Things are finally looking up for the South East in particular, and the old Eastern Region in general! The potential of a Soludo led gov't in Anambra is also cause for optimism. smiley

What we should pray and work for is that President GEJ is returned to office come 2015; so those that have never wished us well will not continue from where they left off in 2007, and put a spanner in the works of the Greater Eastern Region regeneration and renaissance!

We are claiming the blessings God Almighty had kept for us, come hell or high water! angry

sorry to digress a bit from this lovely and beautiful thread about enugu
@igbo-son you are quite right , judging from all that is happening in Kano and Lagos , it is time for an egg head with international clout to run the affairs in Anambra, what ever Soludo did in the banking industry he should come and do in Anambra , if it means getting cheap funds from china, world bank, IMF ADB , he should do it , Onitsha's potentials is much more than Dubai from my estimates it only needs a tactical approach to explore these potentials.

some few info from Wikipedia about Dubai is below

Dubai's gross domestic product as of 2011 was US $83.4 billion.[89] Although Dubai's economy was built on the back of the oil industry,[90] revenues from oil and natural gas currently account for less than 7% of the emirate's revenues.[9] It is estimated that Dubai produces 50,000 to 70,000 barrels (11,000 m3) of oil a day[91] and substantial quantities of gas from offshore fields
The emirate's share in UAE's gas revenues is about 2%. Dubai's oil reserves have diminished significantly and are expected to be exhausted in 20 years.[92] Real estate and construction (22.6%),[11] trade (16%), entrepôt (15%) and financial services (11%) are the largest contributors to Dubai's economy
Dubai's top exporting destinations include India (US$ 5.8 billion), Switzerland (US$ 2.37 billion) and Saudi Arabia (US$ 0.57 billion). Dubai's top re-exporting destinations include India (US$ 6.53 billion), Iran (US$ 5.8 billion) and Iraq (US$ 2.8 billion). The emirate's top import sources are India (US$ 12.55 billion), China (US$ 11.52 billion) and the United States (US$ 7.57 billion). As of 2009 India was Dubai's largest trade partner.[94]
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cecegorz(m): 7:38pm On Aug 03, 2013
IGBO-SON:
It's horrible! The useless contractor that built this nonsense should be blacklisted till he can prove he's capable of building a 21st century/modern project......even the two jobs done in Kano are a million times better than this crap!
Hold your breadth first. This GAT here is still the refurbished old local terminal.
The international wing is situated at the western part of the airport, with only the foundation stone laid by GEJ. The GAT construction is yet to kick off, meanwhile work is in top gear on the run-way. The international passengers will be using this in the mean time till their terminal gets errected, hopefully by the end of next year.
Meanwhile ticket sales/enquiries for Ethiopian airlines is currently done at their desk at the Polo mall.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 7:54pm On Aug 03, 2013
kettykin:

sorry to digress a bit from this lovely and beautiful thread about enugu
@igbo-son you are quite right , judging from all that is happening in Kano and Lagos , it is time for an egg head with international clout to run the affairs in Anambra, what ever Soludo did in the banking industry he should come and do in Anambra , if it means getting cheap funds from china, world bank, IMF ADB , he should do it , Onitsha's potentials is much more than Dubai from my estimates it only needs a tactical approach to explore these potentials.

some few info from Wikipedia about Dubai is below

^^^Exactly Kettykin! I'd also like to see Soludo synergise with neighbouring states like Akwa Ibom, Rivers, Cross River, Delta and Benue.....and implement a comprehensive 10 year regional/integrated masterplan that would enable the region become the centre of gravity economically for the west and central African sub-regions.

He should leverage on his connections worldwide, as well as try to find a way to pool resources of all Anambrans at home and in the diaspora.....a kind of Anambra sovereign investment wealth fund that could be used to invest in infrastructure and education.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nightshift(m): 10:20pm On Aug 03, 2013
Nebeuwa: Enugu should be our main priority. We must pour funds and locate industries in this city so it can be a fitting capital for the Ndigbo.

The writing is already on the wall.

I didn't realize this until now.
Enugu should not be an industrial city; Onitsha, Aba and Nnewi can fill that position.
Enugu as a banking and tech hub would be more appropriate. The city should remain clean without pollution found in industrial cities. Perhaps like Frankfurt. My take though.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 10:24pm On Aug 03, 2013
Nightshift: Enugu should not be an industrial city; Onitsha, Aba and Nnewi can fill that position.
Enugu as a banking and tech hub would be more appropriate. The city should remain clean without pollution found in industrial cities. Perhaps like Frankfurt. My take though.

Yeah, Enugu can be the Wall Street and Silicon Valley of the SE.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 10:51pm On Aug 03, 2013
Nightshift: Enugu should not be an industrial city; Onitsha, Aba and Nnewi can fill that position.
Is Imo no longer in the SE, what going on here
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by 4Play(m): 10:54pm On Aug 03, 2013
CFCfan:

Yeah, Enugu can be the Wall Street and Silicon Valley of the SE.

The regions of Nigeria are like the organs of the human body. There is absolutely no chance of Enugu being the Wall Street or Silicon Valley of anything unless the country as a whole industrialises.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 11:08pm On Aug 03, 2013
Obiagelli:
imo is not a town or city,it is a state...enugu,nnewi,aba,onitsha are towns/cities.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 11:24pm On Aug 03, 2013
4 Play:

The regions of Nigeria are like the organs of the human body. There is absolutely no chance of Enugu being the Wall Street or Silicon Valley of anything unless the country as a whole industrialises.

^^^So how do you reconcile this thinking of yours with the psychotic screams of late: ' angrygo back to your caves!.....leave my land!.....go and develop your forest!......fuc/k off and leave my precious Lagos! angry ' ? You can't tell me you've not read this anywhere on this forum?

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by macjive01: 11:25pm On Aug 03, 2013
Obiagelli:
Calm down bro , owerri is the Las Vegas of the east .

Could also be a tech hub .

And education hub .

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:38pm On Aug 03, 2013
asha 80: imo is not a town or city,it is a state...enugu,nnewi,aba,onitsha are towns/cities.
I didn't see owerri, orlu in your discussion that's why I mentioned imo as a whole
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 11:43pm On Aug 03, 2013
macjive01:
Calm down bro , owerri is the Las Vegas of the east .

Could also be a tech hub .

And education hub .
I'll go with the last one and maybe the first one.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:48pm On Aug 03, 2013
Afam4eva: I'll go with the last one and maybe the first one.
Both of them are just perfect
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 11:48pm On Aug 03, 2013
Obiagelli:
I didn't see owerri, orlu in your discussion that's why I mentioned imo as a whole
Owerri is very similar to Enugu but has more nightlife and oringo. But i will prefer for Owerri to focus more on being an educational town. As for Orlu, it should just be a residential town with minimal commercial activiity.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by 4Play(m): 12:00am On Aug 04, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^So how do you reconcile this thinking of yours with the psychotic screams of late: ' angrygo back to your caves!.....leave my land!.....go and develop your forest!......fuc/k off and leave my precious Lagos! angry ' ? You can't tell me you've not read this anywhere on this forum?

Saying ''go back to your land'' is cretinous as ''your land'' won't develop unless you declare independence or the country as a whole develops. I made this same point on another thread where someone suggested Lagos can be the Singapore or Hong Kong of Africa. Can't happen as you need a developed country first, a city in that country that welcomes openness and has a global comparative advantage not inane talk of 'our land' and extortionists masquerading as ''Babaloja''.

All this talk of developing a region to a certain level which ignores the state of the country which that region is part of is foolhardy.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 12:03am On Aug 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
Owerri is very similar to Enugu but has more nightlife and oringo. But i will prefer for Owerri to focus more on being an educational town. As for Orlu, it should just be a residential town with minimal commercial activiity.
hehe orlu with less commercial activity?that is like saying you want nnewi to have less commercial activity.orlu people and environs dominate the pharmaceutical trading mafia in nigeria.just ask the igbo guys you know that deal on pharmaceuticals where they from and tell me what their reply is.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:07am On Aug 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
True but entertainment in owerri shouldn't be discarded that why I wouldn't mind the las vagas status too. Fact that its receives a lot of visitors from the ss besides Enugu reminds me of abuja while owerri is more like lagos or PH
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:11am On Aug 04, 2013
Obiagelli:
True but entertainment in owerri shouldn't be discarded that why I wouldn't mind the las vagas status too. Fact that its receives a lot of visitors from the ss besides Enugu reminds me of abuja while owerri is more like lagos or PH
We can agree that both Enugu and Owerri can be the Vegas of d East (no Gentlemen's clubs though).

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 12:43am On Aug 04, 2013
asha 80: hehe orlu with less commercial activity?that is like saying you want nnewi to have less commercial activity.orlu people and environs dominate the pharmaceutical trading mafia in nigeria.just ask the igbo guys you know that deal on pharmaceuticals where they from and tell me what their reply is.
Do you mean Orlu people based in Orlu or elsewhere. There's a difference between Orlu people and Orlu town. Except you're saying that Orlu town of today is known for pharmaceuticals.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 12:49am On Aug 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
Do you mean Orlu people based in Orlu or elsewhere. There's a difference between Orlu people and Orlu town. Except you're saying that Orlu town of today is known for pharmaceuticals.
the life style of indigenes of towns and cities have a way of influencing general lifestyles of those towns and cities.i mentioned nnewi,another is owerri.what am i trying to say?there is no way orlu town can be non commercial when the indegenes of the town are heavily into commercial activities.it would always reflect on the town they came from.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 12:59am On Aug 04, 2013
asha 80: the life style of indigenes of towns and cities have a way of influencing general lifestyles of those towns and cities.i mentioned nnewi,another is owerri.what am i trying to say?there is no way orlu town can be non commercial when the indegenes of the town are heavily into commercial activities.it would always reflect on the town they came from.
The fact that Orlu people are known for commerce doesn't mean they must commercialize in Orlu. Is Onitsha market dominated by Onitsha people. Was Enugu city built up by only Enugu people. The point is that Orlu is not known for anything remotely close to commerce except any government decides to take a deliberate step to make Orlu a commercial town.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by millionaireman: 1:31pm On Aug 04, 2013
kmariko: Leveraging Akanu-Ibiam International Airport and Ibaka Seaport2
[img][/img]
This is a beautiful development. The rejected areas have taken the bull by the horns. We hail all the southeasterners and others behind these developments
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 2:40pm On Aug 04, 2013
People saying they want this city to be industrial and that city not to be are confused.
I'm here in the US, every city, and what we would call village, has industry. It's not a choice. The Wall Street housed in New York is surrounded by more industry than the whole of West Africa combined. The Las Vegas that we're speaking of is surrounded by industry as well.

All cities in the east should work to be industrialized and all villages have 1 or two factories that keep commercial activity alive. I'm even a bigger fan of having industries in villages more so that cities. Here in the US, the factories are located on the outskirts of a city or state.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by millionaireman: 4:59pm On Aug 04, 2013
Obiagelli:
Owerri people and their age old petition writing habits would not allow any other part of Imo state see any form of modernity and development. For example, Imo is the only state in Nigeria where the state capital refuses to let go even one out of the five universties and polythecnics in and around Owerri to go to any otherr place. Imo is accordingly stifled by internal disputes. Can't grow beyond some limits.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 5:04pm On Aug 04, 2013
what? what state in the SE is Imo not doing better than?
We just need more industry, that's all.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by henrychubayo: 5:08pm On Aug 04, 2013
D discussion so far are very good. Am just imagining why our brothers here with these kind of ideas are not in power. What happened few days ago in Lagos will still happen to other places in Nigeria. Our ppl should learn to invest in their home first cause they say that charity begins at home. i don't see future in those investments. We the south east made Lagos what it is today and Kano and Even Abuja in been developed and 70% of houses there belongs to igbos. If onitsha and Aba are invested on in great way, it will be better for the east. That is why i need Enugu airport and seaport in east cause the money Lagos make from these is much and still 80% of these moey comes from business men from east.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 5:28pm On Aug 04, 2013
I feel that mismanagement is a thing of the past in the east, Obi is going to want a reasonable successor.

Nigerian politics works like this

Godfather
-Successor

every godfather is a corrupt, dictatorial and savage, but the godfather typically leaves a more sober minded successor in his place that brings results. I would consider Obi a godfather, because he is (not says he's a bad governor because he's great), so whomever he leaves in his place will be more reasonable because they don't 'need' to be as corrupt. Godfathers are corrupt because that's what you need to do to survive.

The states that have dealt with switches of power between parties and followers trying to turn king (Imo, Abia) are going to take a lot longer for their political atmosphere to sober up because it's one godfather after another, as for Anambra, if Soludo wins it's clear sailing. He has Obi's political muscle so he doesn't need to steal and a good reputation to uphold
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by millionaireman: 11:47pm On Aug 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
The fact that Orlu people are known for commerce doesn't mean they must commercialize in Orlu. Is Onitsha market dominated by Onitsha people. Was Enugu city built up by only Enugu people. The point is that Orlu is not known for anything remotely close to commerce except any government decides to take a deliberate step to make Orlu a commercial town.

Orlu people bring their commerce and industry home. Orlu was listed by old Imo state government as the second commercial and industrial area after Aba in the old Imo state which comprised Aba, Owerri, Umuahia, Okigwe and Orlu.

Problem today is that internal politics since the new Imo state came into being has frustrated development in Orlu as infrastructure that ginger development had serially been denied the area.

Gov. Okorocha tried to start to revive Orlu area's roads infrastructure but internal politics of people who want "one city state only" in Imo has since been frustrating the governor's efforts.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 12:19am On Aug 05, 2013
Does anyone have an update on the airport road and new secretariat?

(1) (2) (3) ... (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) ... (711) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.