Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,237 members, 7,970,862 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 04:48 PM

CFA Candidates In The House - Career (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / CFA Candidates In The House (217964 Views)

Cis Candidates In The House / Cfa Vs Acca Which Is Harder / What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (76) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CFA Candidates In The House by st2clem: 6:08pm On Jul 27, 2010
Prospects are what you make of yourself even while still chasing the charter, at least some people were serving when they had passed their l2 exams, but their pay and position was more than a regular staff on some levels, so it is what you make of it .
N, i will still buzz u later in da day.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by ugoeagle: 6:16pm On Jul 27, 2010
Hi st2clem,

how can I get the question bank stuf?
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by st2clem: 6:19pm On Jul 27, 2010
check my number and call me
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by mrjingles(m): 7:07pm On Jul 28, 2010
Ahem! Congrats to all passers and for those who did not just rise and try again.
After due consideration I have decided to throw my hat in th ring but am going for June 2011 L1. Need the time to jack well. This thing aint easy men.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by mrjingles(m): 7:25pm On Jul 28, 2010
abeg this schweser pple dey crase o! I went to thier site to order materials and Nigeria is not listed on thier country options. hw do i get around it abeg.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by st2clem: 8:12pm On Jul 28, 2010
June 2011 materials are not yet available, if i am correct. should be out say around oct/nov.
as for going round, call customer care or email them.
They will tell you the procedures and your payment method.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by mrjingles(m): 8:28pm On Jul 28, 2010
^^Thanks man, Ive already called them, I will have to wire loot to them. This is my first go so am giving myself sufficient time to get into the swing.

I perused Level 1 syllabus and it looks like the entire ICAN curriculum! Whoever wants to write this shd take NOTHING for granted these guys mean business!
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by candylips(m): 10:11pm On Jul 28, 2010
na so
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by joshO: 10:34pm On Jul 28, 2010
Whoever wants to write this shd take NOTHING for granted these guys mean  business

Wise move man! Would definitely recommend that approach.

Started preparations for the L1 less than 2 months to the exams, making it quite daunting for me.
Was forced to skip whole sections (Quants, derivatives, parts of FSA) as a result. Failed
quants < 50% , but managed to score > 70% in derivatives and FSA. This was a risky strategy, and though it
worked for me, could have gone either way really.

I assumed I would rely on my on-the-job experience and Finance MBA knowldege, but honestly, as someone
has already noted here, the overall advantage derived from these can be minimal. Even though a rigourous Finance
MBA programme provided a useful baseline for me to build on, the knowledge fell far short of the depth the of the CFA
curriculum ,

Early, steadfast prepartion is key, and should provide you with a solid enough understanding of subject matter fundamentals,
required to tackle difficult / tricky questions under pressure.!

As for my L2 preparations, I plan to kick this off in Oct, starting with 2010 schweser materials. Will not take anything for
granted here as I hear that one is a different beast!
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by 9jaman007: 10:39pm On Jul 28, 2010
I'd love to enroll for the dec diet. Has registration commenced? Any one with info pls reply. Thank you.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Tolulop001(f): 12:47am On Jul 29, 2010
9jaman007:

I'd love to enroll for the dec diet. Has registration commenced? Any one with info pls reply. Thank you.
dude u need to hurry u gat 4 months to go
go to their site, cfainstitute.org
then if u got questions we can help u here
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by mrjingles(m): 9:51am On Jul 29, 2010
Tolu it seems you are the inhouse guru, please o give your bros tips o! Do I read it one area at once or do i use a time table approach as read different area on different days abeg help.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Tolulop001(f): 11:14am On Jul 29, 2010
^^^^guru ke? i just finished L1 oh, there are bigger boys on this thread oh grin

ok, what i did was to pace myself,
i used the curriculum to study, as well as scweser notes.
i look back now and realise i could have done without the curriculum but at that time i wasnt taking any chances, and i had time on my hands (NYSC).
what i suggest is
Pace yourself, say 20-25 pages a day of the notes, make it realistic oh so ur not frustrated
me i counted the number of pages of study material total, divided it by the no of days i had to study EXCLUDING LIKE 2 WEEKS FOR REVISION BEFORE THE EXAM
maximise your weekends,im talking 8-10 hours on the weekend(that was me sha, dunno how u study)
i know how many trips i missed so u gata be willing to sacrifice.
MAKE JOTTINGS based on the LOSs - ull fall back them near the exam
solve qestions DIE lol
if u can get question bank and solve them concurrently as u study thats fine,
as for me, i finished the material and then delved into question solving
that way u get an idea of the really relevant aspects of the syllabus and focus on them
more when i remember
gotta run off now

are u Dec 10 or June 11?

1 Like

Re: CFA Candidates In The House by mrjingles(m): 12:05pm On Jul 29, 2010
june 11. thanks ur too mush
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Tolulop001(f): 8:27pm On Jul 29, 2010
^^^^^kk not a problem cheesy
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by omaojo1: 11:45am On Jul 30, 2010
Hello all, I am registering for Dec 2011 l1.

on getting to the final section where i am supposed to make payment, I could not find the relevant link.

Please how do I go about this?
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by bechex(m): 6:39am On Jul 31, 2010
Hi Guys,

I have not been here in a while, Congrats to Doctor Tolu all that passed , I flunked level 2 again oh. feels bad u know but what can i say , i have analysed my shortcommings and i have dusted my books again for June 2012.

Doc T, i will give u a call soon. congrats once again
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by candylips(m): 8:55pm On Jul 31, 2010
^^ better luck next time homie cheesy
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by AlexD2: 5:29pm On Aug 01, 2010
This is going to be long but please do read

Hailing all those that passed their exams, to others, there's no shame in trying. Get ready to fire again.

Currently studying for the exams and depending on how far I get by mid September will register for L1 December or June.

Since I haven't registered yet, I don't have the CFAI books and I'm just reading schweser. 

Couple of questions for my ogas  in the house:

1. My current study plan involves reading 4 hours a day and a minimum of 5 days a week and a by product of that is finishing on average 1.3 study sessions every week. I'm rounding up on quants today and already half way through econ.

If I stick to this plan and register for December, is Mid October good enough to finish 1st reading? 

My plan was to use the rest of October to review my personal notes and end of chapter summaries of both Schweser and CFAI book. Use November to practice some 200 questions per study session, take the mock test and schwesers last 2 practice exams.

2. After each reading, I do the shweser concept checkers questions. I know they're not a good indication of the exam difficulty but how much confidence should I take away from them?

3. I learnt Scweser doesn't cover some topics well like ethics and it's best to just use the CFAI book. From your experience which other topics fall under this?

4. I find myself always wanting to go back to the  previous weeks topic to memorise one formula, one statement etc I feel this wastes a lot of time, should I just make sure I understand the concept and applicability without worrying too much about memorising formulas now as I'll probably be rote learning in November anyway.

5. I've heard a lot of L2 candidates bang on about the CFAI EOC questions being good exam difficulty level indicators. How important is it to start doing those now or can I wait till after 1st reading? 

6. Can anyone with an e-copy of the current/past CFAI book please send it to alexdnairaland[at]gmail.com (Can't remember the password to the yahoo one smiley, God help me with the CFA formulas smiley). Thanks

7. How do you maintain a social life while studying for the CFA, babes are starting to complain. Restaurant and cuddling time smiley have been virtually reduced to zero and I've only just started.

Thanks for reading my epistle, hoping to hear from you soon.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by lawuyi(m): 7:58pm On Aug 01, 2010
tis truly an epistle AlexD
I'l start from the bottom and tell u str8 that u better get the lady to buy into it cos there will be tonnes more missed dates n kisses, this is for ur future bro, if she no ready to make sacrifice now then lipsrsealed but without a doubt u gotta make huge sacrifices when u r studying for the beast that's CFA.

As per forgetting stuff, it will happen bro, it's inevitable, what u gotta do is make sure u get concepts and by the time u r revising leave enough space to go over most of it. At the same time though, i'd say go over things u read before from time to time but don't let that prevent u from moving onto new stuff, so speed read stuff u covered before just to refresh ur memory, or there was a method i used in which i would finish reading a section but wouldnt answer the questions after it. Instead i'd read the next section and then answer the preceding section's questions, that way there'd be about a day between reading and answering questions, as per EoC questionsi'd say do em man cos this exam's material has a way of fooling u into thinkin u know it until u r forced to answer a question smiley

as per reading time and rate, only u can tell man. cos it's different strokes, it's all about how fast u assimilate stuff i guess. Keep in mind that the institute recommends 250hrs reading time (i think) to totally get the curriculum,
hope this helps a bit, and all d best!!
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by AlexD2: 8:35pm On Aug 01, 2010
Thanks Bro,(I see someone's a fan of Gecko)

I really like the idea of leaving a day in between reading and answering questions.

I'll try and get the CFAI ebook asap (if anyone can help, that'll be great) and start doing the EOC questions. I plan on doing about 250 hours for just reading and another 100 for revision and practice.

We'll see sha, it's a bit tougher to get a 19 year old to buy into the whole future thing. Our yarns no even they reach those zones, she already thinks I work way too hard.  Anyhow, she has no choice but to put up with it.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by mrjingles(m): 11:25am On Aug 02, 2010
men am sweating blood to pay for my fees o! The money is much abeg, I want to start reading ASAP for June 2011 L1. Tolu gimme loan abeg! @ Alex_D tell the babe to take a chill pill men, this thing is too crucial to be mixed with lovey dovey stuff.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Tolulop001(f): 11:29am On Aug 02, 2010
mrjingles:

men am sweating blood to pay for my fees o! The money is much abeg, I want to start reading ASAP for June 2011 L1. Tolu gimme loan abeg! @ Alex_D tell the babe to take a chill pill men, this thing is too crucial to be mixed with lovey dovey stuff.

ah mrjingles u never hear say i be corper grin grin grin

@ alex d, 19 is not too young for her to grab this thing, she has to understand oh and be ready to adjust, u seem very motivated judging from your long post above so abeg tell her to relax, when the money starts flowing she will be the main beneficiary!
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by mrjingles(m): 11:48am On Aug 02, 2010
^^ corper ke! have a corper in my office with a car and driver so leave that talk. Am scraping my account to pay. your a loaded corper from all indications. Meanwhile pls send me any stuff u may have on L1 (your leftover) akpoefe (at) yahoo dot com. wd be much obliged.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by AlexD2: 12:49pm On Aug 02, 2010
Thanks Dr. T.

Fancy answering some of my questions?
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Tolulop001(f): 1:12pm On Aug 02, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^^^
mrjingles that your office is a good place oh! i want in grin
will send the stuff later smiley
alex d, gotta run an errand now, will reply to the best of my ability later today.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by mrjingles(m): 10:37pm On Aug 02, 2010
^^ I never see mail o!
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Nobody: 10:45pm On Aug 02, 2010
Alex,  your social life doesn't have to suffer just because of an exam. The CFA is great, but in the end our friends and family are all that we have.
Your best bet is to start early, allocate a bloc of time each day/week, and stick to your study plan. It wont hurt the amount of time u spend with ur chic that much,its only an irrational immature girlfriend who will not see what is at stake for u and her future.
You've got a great resource in schweser, it is foolproof bang for buck  for the L1 , just make sure u get a good dose of practice questions done on Qbank. St2clem can help u on that.
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Tolulop001(f): 11:13pm On Aug 02, 2010
Alex D whew my longest post ever! sad

1. sound ok to me. only thing i'd like to comment on is the no of questions, i think you need to solve more. i personally used the whole scweser question bank, thats roughly 4500 practice questions

2. scweser can be funny in that it can be highfalluting sometimes. best bet is still solving loads of questions. for me, solving any questions is better than solving no questions.

3.for ethics, its the usual, solving questions is paramount. and also importantly getting the underlying principles of the ethics, like client is first, then employer before you in decreasing order of priority, all those kain things. its mainly ethics that falls into this category, scweser was good enough for me on the whole.

4. Make jottings! have a formular sheet, so u can always flip thru leisurely to refresh your mind. it may slow your reading down a tad, but i dont know what i woulda done without my notes.

5. im not sure i get this question,  undecided

6. i dint opt for an e copy, i hate ebooks(strain my eyes) sorry, maybe other peeps can help u out here

7. think i addressed this already, sorry tho i agree with C_JAY, u dont wanna burn out early sad
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Tolulop001(f): 11:14pm On Aug 02, 2010
mrjingles:

^^ I never see mail o!
coming right up! cheesy
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by mrjingles(m): 9:52am On Aug 03, 2010
^^ Tolu u deserve an award! Thanks a lot
Re: CFA Candidates In The House by Tolulop001(f): 11:02am On Aug 03, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^^^not a problem

oya house, time for payback lol pls i need L2 scweser notes, who will be kind enough to forward them to me
thank you
mucho gracias cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (76) (Reply)

Total Oil And Gas Workers / ICAN May 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here / 2022 Access Bank Graduate Trainee Recruitment Has Been Extended

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.