Stats: 3,169,790 members, 7,875,963 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 05:36 AM

Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly - Sports (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly (35456 Views)

Exposed! Why Nigeria Olympic Team Failed In London / Nigeria's Olympic Team Beaten In Away Tanzania! / Wht Happ 2 Sunday Bada[nigeria's Olympic Gold Medalist]heard He Had An Accident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by DisGuy: 8:39pm On Aug 06, 2012
Hope she's inspired, atleast she will get a good lane amongst the fastest. this should push her on

she broke the national record undecided
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by yamakuza: 8:40pm On Aug 06, 2012
hollandis:
1 and 2 gone
3. Long jump , okagbare can redeem herself but it will be an individual effort (gold or 4th place)
4. 4x100m women baton exchange problem + slow runners apart from blessing (gold)
5. 4x400m women No hope they couldn't even qualify for the 400m semis (last)
6. Taekwondo - I hope the captain doesn't screw up because of too much pressure(gold)

NB -I didn't put odumosu(400m hurdles) up here because she will crash out in the semifinals in 20mins time

thot she won Gold. Dat was the heats, huh?
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by chic2pimp(m): 8:44pm On Aug 06, 2012
Joke was the sixth fastest through to the finals. She will need to improve on her National Record to stand a chance of medalling.

Her PB and National record is 54.40. I think she'll need to run in the low 53s or very high 54s to medal. Good luck to her.

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by honeric01(m): 9:10pm On Aug 06, 2012
chic2pimp: Joke was the sixth fastest through to the finals. She will need to improve on her National Record to stand a chance of medalling.

Her PB and National record is 54.40. I think she'll need to run in the low 53s or very high 54s to medal. Good luck to her.
chai, why u go wish her good luck nah? Na only God fit help her now!
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by hollandis(f): 9:12pm On Aug 06, 2012
yamakuza:

thot she won Gold. Dat was the heats, huh?
Keep dreaming bro, tell the young girl to rest her legs for 4x400m ,I have no faith in our athletes again
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by yamakuza: 9:17pm On Aug 06, 2012
hollandis:
Keep dreaming bro, tell the young girl to rest her legs for 4x400m ,I have no faith in our athletes again

i'll put her in my prayers, so she wont have cramps like Blessing and bring home a medal.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by akintun: 9:50pm On Aug 06, 2012
seeing Felix Sanchez win d 400hurdles men makes me believe Ajoke can win a medal. We absolutely have no chance of winning a medal in d 4 x 400 meters, so she has to put all her effort in tomorrow finals.She surprised me by breaking her personal best. She has to run a low 54secs to win a medal.

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by yamakuza: 10:14pm On Aug 06, 2012
akintun: seeing Felix Sanchez win d 400hurdles men makes me believe Ajoke can win a medal. We absolutely have no chance of winning a medal in d 4 x 400 meters, so she has to put all her effort in tomorrow finals.She surprised me by breaking her personal best. She has to run a low 54secs to win a medal.

Bolt had a slow start too ...
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by DisGuy: 10:29pm On Aug 06, 2012
akintun: seeing Felix Sanchez win d 400hurdles men makes me believe Ajoke can win a medal. We absolutely have no chance of winning a medal in d 4 x 400 meters, so she has to put all her effort in tomorrow finals.She surprised me by breaking her personal best. She has to run a low 54secs to win a medal.

Hmm Felix Sanchez n Ajoke?

this guy has been in the picture for several years, i think this is probably her biggest outing apartment from the last commonwealth
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by chic2pimp(m): 11:20pm On Aug 06, 2012
honeric01:
chai, why u go wish her good luck nah? Na only God fit help her now!
Oi boy you wan make dem ban me for being anti Nigerian again ni? grin

Nah to be serious though I hope she hasn't given it her all in the semis. Sincerely hope she saved a bit for the Finals.

Different situation to that of Super Felix.
Superman is one of the greatest 400M hurdlers the world has ever seen.

She definitely needs to run at the very least a Low 54 to stand a chance.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by akintun: 11:57pm On Aug 06, 2012
Different situation to that of Super Felix.Superman is one of the greatest 400M hurdlers the world has ever seen.

Felix has been in such awful form for about 6 years now.He was not even expected to be among d medallist until the semi-finals at d Olympics. Ajoke has won more races than any other Nigerian athlete leading to d Olympics, but she won those races against inferior oppositions. Her only race against top athletes was in Monaco, and she performed badly.I believe dat if she can risk it all, and leave d blocks quickly she can be in 4 a bronze medal.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by chic2pimp(m): 12:35am On Aug 07, 2012
akintun:
Felix has been in such awful form for about 6 years now.He was not even expected to be among d medallist until the semi-finals at d Olympics. Ajoke has won more races than any other Nigerian athlete leading to d Olympics, but she won those races against inferior oppositions. Her only race against top athletes was in Monaco, and she performed badly.I believe dat if she can risk it all, and leave d blocks quickly she can be in 4 a bronze medal.

Yes Felix has been below par the last few seasons. Tbh Injuries and old age has not help his case either in what is the most brutal race in Tracks and Field.

You said it yourself, "In her only race against top opposition she performed badly" which does not bode well.
However She has nothing to loose now cuz she has exceeded all expectations. Very few people expected her to make it into the finals and she did so covincingly.
Why not just go out there and have a right crack at it.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Akolawole(m): 12:55am On Aug 07, 2012
ThiefOfHearts: If Nigeria wanst so useless Oughuru's silver medal from the woman's 100M would have been Nigeria's

@TOH

Hello Sweetie, How are you? Long long time.
Shoot me a mail babe.

@Topic

Christine was born and raised in east london. Too bad, she was unable to win the race.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by hollandis(f): 12:58am On Aug 07, 2012
Like someone said "too many dreamers" .It will be sack if Nigeria doesn't win a medal
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by akintun: 1:38am On Aug 07, 2012
The truth is dat we dont deserve any medal from dis Olympics, but d athletes dat have made it far enough deserve encouragement. The Nigerian female boxer Ogoke lost her fight to an extremely experienced Russian, but she gave a very good account of herself when u consider that dis was just her second international competition after d world championship earlier dis year. She defeated d silver medallist from dat competition in d first round b4 losing to d Russian (former world champion in 2010).Our athletes do not attend many world championships b4 coming to d Olympics. Even the taekwondo guy did not attend all d world champ b4 dis Olympics. Egyptians are always sending their athletes to all world champ of combat sports, i dont understand why we cant send ours.

Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 3:15am On Aug 07, 2012
a nigerian girl, odumosu, was first in the 400 meters hurdle, so i think we are going to the finals, we prolly have a shot at gold medal now
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by hollandis(f): 3:32am On Aug 07, 2012
Donlittle: a nigerian girl, odumosu, was first in the 400 meters hurdle, so i think we are going to the finals, we prolly have a shot at gold medal now
keep drawing
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by hollandis(f): 4:25am On Aug 07, 2012
U guys are asleep or what ?
2 Nigerians are featuring today

They are -
Noah Akwu in the 200m ,he will be running in Heat 1 with USAIN BOLT.

Blessing Okagbare in the long jump -Hope she doesn't have a cramp today

Please tell blessing to save her legs for 4 by 1 and tell that Noah guy to go back home
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 7:20am On Aug 07, 2012
hollandis: U guys are asleep or what ?
2 Nigerians are featuring today

They are -
Noah Akwu in the 200m ,he will be running in Heat 1 with USAIN BOLT.

Blessing Okagbare in the long jump -Hope she doesn't have a cramp today

Please tell blessing to save her legs for 4 by 1 and tell that Noah guy to go back home
But I still have that feeling we still have two medals in this olympic, but it do sad, a country of 150 million, and we are not even on the medals table
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Olamisoji(m): 7:54am On Aug 07, 2012
Nurudeen selim is also competing in the 110m hurdles. Today
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Olamisoji(m): 7:56am On Aug 07, 2012
Tosin oke is competing today as well
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by deekseen(m): 8:30am On Aug 07, 2012
ogbeche77:
but it do sad, a country of 150 million, and we are not even on the medals table

You guys should stop saying this. Is it a competition of population? Small countries like Kenya, Italy, etc won't even compete if it was. Our poor results in sports is just a reflection of how the country is. But then, you would expect just one athlete to recognize the fact that he is doing this for his country, and try to do the extraordinary, like our sportsmen of old. Again, our (too much) hopes on these athletes is jinxing them big time. Let's stop hoping and take whatever we see.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 9:11am On Aug 07, 2012
deekseen:

You guys should stop saying this. Is it a competition of population? Small countries like Kenya, Italy, etc won't even compete if it was. Our poor results in sports is just a reflection of how the country is. But then, you would expect just one athlete to recognize the fact that he is doing this for his country, and try to do the extraordinary, like our sportsmen of old. Again, our (too much) hopes on these athletes is jinxing them big time. Let's stop hoping and take whatever we see.
if its about jinxing, what do you say about the athletes from china and the US? Or their citizens dont hope?
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Nobody: 9:36am On Aug 07, 2012
deekseen:

We can never ignore the issue of population, that we are much should even be an added advantage, given that there ll be much availability of talents to pick from... In all the problem still goes down to administration & lack of youth programs
And pls don't even compare the athletes of old days to those we have now, We all know the support the Late Abacha gave to the Team Nigeria at the Atlanta Olympic games, there preparation and continuity(frm the 90' games games) was superb
I think the private sector should also come into play, we should not leave all for the govt, Wn instance is peak who always give $2,000 to the MVP among the eagles each time they play a match, even it it's even Burundi, still yet d eagles can't boast of a continental trophy in 18 years
Give that to a tennis player or a wrestler monthly and see what he does in the next olympics
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by akintun: 9:43am On Aug 07, 2012
Tosin Oke goes in d triple jump today. I really don't know how to rate his chances. Okagbare should hopefully win a medal if she can qualify 4 d finals. D female LG is far more competitive Dan d 100 meters. D field is made up of exceptional talents. I just saw d first semi finals of d 400m hurdles, and I can now say dat Ajoke has about 0.1percent chance of getting a medal. Anything can happen.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by otokx(m): 9:54am On Aug 07, 2012
nothing can be the anything that can happen.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by semid4lyfe(m): 10:35am On Aug 07, 2012
Best of luck to our athletes competing today. . . . .
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by akintun: 11:26am On Aug 07, 2012
Toxin Oke going well 4 now. I think he will make d finals. Philip Idowu in trouble with one jump left.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Olamisoji(m): 11:27am On Aug 07, 2012
Nigeria's nurudeen selim qualified in his heat in d 110m hurdles
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by akintun: 11:42am On Aug 07, 2012
Tosin qualifies 4 the finals in 9th place. Good 4 him. In d finals anything can happen. Bad 4 Idowu as he fails to qualify.
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by toluxe0075: 12:50pm On Aug 07, 2012
Noah made it 2 d semi-finals, he came 2nd just behind bolt
Re: Nigeria Olympic Thread...to Be Updated Regularly by Olamisoji(m): 12:59pm On Aug 07, 2012
Bloody lie .noah is out came 4th

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (28) (Reply)

Referee Ready To Fight Alan Judge After Abusive Words (Photos, Video) / Thomas Müller: “Against Messi Things Always Go Well, CR7 Was Our Biggest Problem / Nsukka Township Stadium In Enugu Takes Shape (Photos)