Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,107 members, 7,887,213 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 01:29 AM

"Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola (26631 Views)

Why Do Our Identity Cards Expire? / Synchronizing PVC, Drivers License, National Identity Cards, NHIS, ATM.. Etc / Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by eldoradoxx: 2:39pm On Nov 11, 2012
shymexx:

No, I'm not "literate" in the Nigerian way of sentence construction(use of English), where you end every sentence, with an exclamation mark... The epistle you wrote was written in pure Nigerian English, and not the standard use of English... Go back and re-read your post..

I've never lived in Lagos as well(though, I'm from there) - however, this initiative is long overdue... Some may even argue that it's 20 years late - perhaps, that's why people like me who have lived almost all their lives in sane societies where everything is done in an orderly manner(not the medieval way of doing things the way Nigerians are accustomed to) support this initiative.. How would a state as congested as Lagos be able to provide security, know the total number of people to cater to within its jurisdiction, maximise its IGR, ascertain the quality and quantity of infrastructures and social welfare programmes to provide for the people - without a database? We can't continue to do things based on assumptions/guess-work - that's so 19th century!

Not surprised at what you lot continue to spew on this thread. The fear of the unknown, cowardice, being allergic to change, and doing things in a medieval way - all these virtues are quintessentially Nigerian!

A poster(horus) already posted a well-rounded article and the illegal immigrants/residents status was explained on the article, yet due to being a failed product of an educational system in shambles, your inability to read properly, and lack of comprehension skills - you lot have continued to spew nonsense..

I asked my pops about indigeneship status in Lagos, and he said; Lagos indigenes are entitled to an indigene certificate issued by the King of Lagos - and almost everyone from Lagos has this certificate.. So, this initiative has nothing to do with deporting Nigerians!!
The Harvard trained Shymexx has stil not been able to point out atleast a single poor sentence construction or grammatical blunder he accuses the supposed half baked Nigerian graduate of making. Isn't it a very big disappointment? Correct me then, am very willing to learn from you idiot. Have you addressed the issues I raised as being the grounds for my opposing this policy? What do you know about immigration law? What do you know about the constitution of Nigeria and the principle of federalism as applicable in Nigeria? I thought that foreign trained graduates are supposed to be very analytical in their criticisms. Go and sit down low brain drug addict that has nothing reasonable to say but spew arrant rubbish and insult . I am stil waiting for your corrections and if you don't then you are a big disgrace . You think that I can come to US or Europe to do 5 jobs from 8am to 9 pm to just to feed like you? I am proudly Nigerian and making it real big here, so don't make noise with schooling abroad to me!!! Underline the errors and bolden them and then give the correct sentence structure that I ought to have used. Deranged rehab inmate

1 Like

Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Nobody: 2:53pm On Nov 11, 2012
Pseudo-intelligent product of an educational system in shambles - this is your post again:

This is the problem of an average Nigerian, low thinking and sentiment!!! If I may ask an average Yoruba man staying in Lagos his state of origin, you will find out that 96% of them that claim Lagos are not from there!!! So what brought you and your Yoruba kith and kin to Lagos is what brought the Ibos, Hausa's and others to Lagos. More than 70% of investments in Lagos are owned by Non Yoruba/ non Lagosians!!! Do you know why? Because Lagos was then the Federal Capital territory, built and developed by the money of all Nigerians for Nigerians and not for Lagos citizens or the Yorubas!! So stop seeing Ibos or other tribes in Lagos as parasites, they built and have been building that state with their assets, our collective wealth was used in building the gigantic infrastructures like the ports. Its(sic) now we are actually beginning to appreciate Nigeria's most visionary leader Murtala Muhammed who relocated Federal seat to Abuja, a virgin land in the North Central, gateway to East, west and North of Nigeria and a land occupied my the lowest minorities who owed no allegiance to either Christainity or Islam . It was because Yorubas had started claiming Lagos we all built with our resources for ourselves as their personal property!! That is why the error of Lagos cannot be repeated in Abuja! It is a land for all Nigerians, it cannot be created as a state whereby state of origin issue will crop up here again as was the case in Lagos even as an(sic) FCT then.

Nigerian English outlined in red font.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by eldoradoxx: 2:56pm On Nov 11, 2012
shymexx: Pseudo-intelligent product of an educational system in shambles - this is your post again:

Nigerian English outlined in red font.
give me the correct version omitting the typos
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Nobody: 3:06pm On Nov 11, 2012
eldoradoxx: The Harvard trained Shymexx has stil don't been able to atleast point out the alleged poor construction or grammatical blunder he accuses the supposed Nigerian half baked graduate. Isn't it a very big disappointment? Correct me then, am very willing to learn from you idiot. Have you addressed the issues I raised as being the grounds for opposing this policy? What do you know about immigration law? What do you know about the constitution of Nigeria and the principle of federalism as operated in Nigeria? I thought that foreign trained graduates are supposed to be very analytical in their criticism. Go and sit down low brain drug addict that has nothing reasonable to say but spew arrant rubbish . I am stil waiting for your corrections. Underline the errors and bolden them and then give me the correct sentence structure that I ought to have used.

I'm not Harvard educated..

You asserted that Lagos used to be the FCT - and I corrected that. Lagos Island used to be the FCT and the other parts of the modern Lagos of today were under the Western Region..

And I also corrected the impression that the illegal immigrants/residents status is for Nigerians - and I cited the well-rounded article posted by Horus..

Question for you and your medieval ages thought process having co-travelers:
- When are you lot going to evolve; leave the 13th century thought process behind; understand that it's not always 'us' against 'them', embrace change; stop being cowardly; embrace orderliness and do away with your savagely way of doing things; learn to read and comprehend before posting myopic comments; and take tribal sentiments out of everything??

You might like Lagos the way it is, however, every sane person in the world don't.. We want to see a change and a new Lagos...
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Nobody: 3:06pm On Nov 11, 2012
afam4eva: Is Lagos now a country that they should be issueing identity cards? Aren't we supposed to have a unified ID? If they no longer want to belong to this union they shouuld simply say so instead remaining part of Nigeria and formulating policies that are the exclusive prerogative of countries. So, if they issue the IDs to people currently living in Lagos, what will now happen to new residents to Lagos. Will they be deported? I think Fashola is losing it gradually. I hope he does not topple Hitler with his draconian laws.
IN a true Federation, each state should have the right to issue ids based on it's own laws, but not violating Federal laws. Dude, apart from getting paid by corrupt politicians to spew propaganda online, what else are you good for? undecided
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by eldoradoxx: 3:18pm On Nov 11, 2012
shymexx:

I'm not Harvard educated..

You asserted that Lagos used to be the FCT - and I corrected that. Lagos Island used to be the FCT and the other parts of the modern Lagos of today were under the Western Region..

And I also corrected the impression that the illegal immigrants/residents status is for Nigerians - and I cited the well-rounded article posted by Horus..

Question for you and your medieval ages thought process having co-travelers:
- When are you lot going to evolve; leave the 13th century thought process behind; understand that it's not always 'us' against 'them', embrace change; stop being cowardly; embrace orderliness and do away with your savagely way of doing things; learn to read and comprehend before posting myopic comments; and take tribal sentiments out of everything??

You might like Lagos the way it is, however, every sane person in the world don't.. We want to see a change and a new Lagos...
Who is illegal resident in Lagos ?. I need an answer from you please.The statement talks about illegal residents. So help me identify that.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Nobody: 3:24pm On Nov 11, 2012
eldoradoxx: give me the correct version omitting the typos
This is the problem with the average Nigerian psyche/though-process - shallow thinking and "sentiments." If most Yoruba people living in Lagos were to be asked where their state of origin is, you'll find out that 96% of them are not from Lagos. So, whatever brought you and your Yoruba kith and kin to Lagos, is the same reason why Igbos, Hausas, and others are in Lagos........(Continue from there by yourself)...

PS: I'm not saying you should use big words(that would make you sound more Nigerian) - however, you need to start writing in a way that would make your use of English intelligible to others. Exclamation marks at the end of every sentence is also off-putting.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Nobody: 3:29pm On Nov 11, 2012
eldoradoxx: Who is illegal resident in Lagos ?. I need an answer from you please.The statement talks about illegal residents. So help me identify that.

Culled from the article posted by Horus:

“Over 21 million people are estimated to be living in Lagos and there would be need for government to have their data base in its record. “The registration exercise will be carried out in view of the security situation and the influx of illegal aliens into the state, Akiniyi said. He said that all residents, irrespective of ethnic background, as well as foreigners– including tourists– would be captured in the exercise scheduled to hold between Jan. and March 2013.“Government has the responsibility to cater for everyone residing in Lagos, regardless of the state or country they came from, “ he said. Akiniyi said that resident identity card would be issue to those who would be captured during the exercise, to differentiate between legal residents and illegal immigrants.

Illegal immigrants are those who have no business loitering around the state... Can't you see that the state is congested enough?? undecided undecided
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by eldoradoxx: 3:34pm On Nov 11, 2012
shymexx:
This is the problem with the average Nigerian psyche/though-process - shallow thinking and "sentiments." If most Yoruba people living in Lagos were to be asked where their state of origin is, you'll find out that 96% of them are not from Lagos. So, whatever brought you and your Yoruba kith and kin to Lagos, is the same reason why Igbos, Hausas, and others are in Lagos........(Continue from there by yourself)...

PS: I'm not saying you should use big words(that would make you sound more Nigerian) - however, you need to start writing in a way that would make your use of English intelligible to others. Exclamation marks at the end of every sentence is also off-putting.
LMAO, honestly you are beginning to sound very funny. Thank you for making me laugh this afternoon Mr Shymexx. Sorry for the strong words I used earlier, it's not in my character. No further basis for an argument with you.

1 Like

Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 11, 2012
eldoradoxx: LMAO, honestly you are beginning to sound very funny. Thank you for making me laugh this afternoon Mr Shymexx. Sorry for the strong words I used earlier, it's not in my character. No further basis for an argument with you.

Nigerian English is unintelligible to most non-Nigerians.. undecided
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Nobody: 3:41pm On Nov 11, 2012
whitecat007: Nice!

I was born in Lagos and spent my early childhood there before I was shipped to I-ode to live with my paternal Grand parents, but my maternal side is all lagos.

I'm an Ijebu son as well - and my people were in charge of the coastline for the Awujale, when Sungbo's Eredo represented Ijebu civilisation... grin

You need to hit me up, my beautiful and strong Ijebu sister... wink
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Nobody: 3:47pm On Nov 11, 2012
whitecat007: Don't like any pet either except gold fish in a good size tank for relaxation, but in the animal kingdom, I am the Cat.

Damn! I'm that gold fish in the pond, and trust me, my house is like a good size tank... Perhaps, you can come around for "relaxation." grin
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Nobody: 3:50pm On Nov 11, 2012
eldoradoxx

Can you see the colour scheme in my signature?

Don't mess around with the Black Power Movement - Nigerians are whitewashed, and we don't like none of you... grin

Join the BPM, or get crushed! cool
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Nobody: 4:25pm On Nov 11, 2012
whitecat007: If you don't know that the US states issue Identity cards alongside Driver's licenses, its either you have not been to the US or you do not know anyone here you can call to ask. If that is the case don't say anything about it.
Nigerians love to talk about what they don't know

States in the us issue id cards, but they aren't mandatory.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Nobody: 4:29pm On Nov 11, 2012
J12:
States in the us issue id cards, but they aren't mandatory.
What's not mandatory?
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by odumdesmond: 4:45pm On Nov 11, 2012
shymexx:

Nigerian English is unintelligible to most non-Nigerians.. undecided
So what is your problem with Nigerian English? I have gone through your debate with Eldoradoxx and can't stil find anything wrong with his sentence structure aside pardonable typos... Nigerian English exists because British , American, Chinese, Russian, French english language exists and why should he feel bad expressing himself in the way that sounds intelligible to an average Nigerian reader? Does British and American english language sound alike? the language structure of an American author and British author look same? Yet both make sense to their reader. The quality or type of English language or sentence structure used by a writer may reasonably be affected by the background of the writer and other cultural nuance. That is why the Nigerian English sounds bad to you having been out of Nigeria for long whereas to an average good user of the language in Nigeria, there is nothing too bad with his structure. Nigerians know what low-brain means. So you can speak your Queens or American "pidgin" English over there, this is Nairaland, we perfectly understand ourselves, besides here is an informal social networking site .
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Nobody: 4:54pm On Nov 11, 2012
odum desmond: So what is your problem with Nigerian English? I have gone through your debate with Eldoradoxx and can't stil find anything wrong with his sentence structure aside pardonable typos... Nigerian English exists because British , American, Chinese, Russian, French english language exists and why should he feel bad expressing himself in the way that sounds intelligible to an average Nigerian reader? Does British and American english language sound alike? the language structure of an American author and British author look same? Yet both make sense to their reader. The quality or type of English language or sentence structure used by a writer may reasonably be affected by the background of the writer and other cultural nuance. That is why the Nigerian English sounds bad to you having been out of Nigeria for long whereas to an average good user of the language in Nigeria, there is nothing too bad with his structure. Nigerians know what low-brain means. So you can speak your Queens or American "pidgin" English over there, this is Nairaland, we perfectly understand ourselves, besides here is an informal social networking site .

Calm down, brother... grin

I was just messing about with him, that's how you break people down mentally before countering their myopic retorts... However, his sentence structure is proper Nigerian... wink

So, what do you think about the initiative??
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by coogar: 4:58pm On Nov 11, 2012
you cats are still tussling over this matter? y'all need to give it a rest now....
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by CuntDestroyer1: 2:59pm On Nov 12, 2012
Shymex is a Arrow not worth arguing with.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by baysol: 3:01pm On Nov 12, 2012
Mekanze: The beauty of Lagos state is it population let say that federal government can develop other states like Lagos i bate you yorubas will b on their knees begging for food, because most of them only have hope on their rent
.I mean house rent.

We will test that when you are far gone to your Biavillage firstly.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Nobody: 3:03pm On Nov 12, 2012
Cunt_Destroyer: Shymex is a Arrow not worth arguing with.

Cu.nt is back from NL jail... grin
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by baysol: 3:08pm On Nov 12, 2012
7lives: Very good, people don't want to use their brains so everyone is either running away to abroad or Lagos. Lagos is now a concrete jungle, its about the survival of the fittest, law of the jungle.
I said it without remorse that by the time the Lagos state government is through dealing with the mad influx into Lagos, most people will sit and work out their survival in their villages and leave Lagos alone. What madness, between 10 to 12 people in 1 room in Lagos, another craze going on is 100 per night in crowded rooms, Babies,children and pregnant women inclusive, bread hawkers living in bakeries, abokis, okada men and area boys sleeping in front of people's stores and abandoned vehicles, what about living in dump sites and under bridges,market places and churches all in a desperate bid to live in Lagos.
People have themselves to blame for whatsoever befall them, people who were left behind in the villages are not stupid by staying behind. They have probably weigh their chances and realized that their chance of survival in Lagos is zero, these are the smart ones, not the ones who came to Lagos to chase shadows.
The Lagos state government will continue to look for ways to make their job easier, it is also the jobs of the citizens of other states to demand for better life from their state governments, FASHOLA IS JUST A GOVERNOR OF LAGOS STATE AND NOT THE PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA.
LET THERE BE MASS INSURRECTIONS IN OTHER STATES OF NIGERIA, ASK QUESTIONS, FIGHT BACK, MAKE DEMANDS,THE GOVERNORS ARE THERE TO SERVE YOU, FORCE THEM TO DO THEIR JOBS, YOU ARE THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES, STOP CHASING SHADOWS, LEAVE FASHOLA ALONE, GOD BLESS NIGERIA.

What people don't realise is that lagos is blessed by God form day one in custody of Yorubas and not in the hansds of our bygot neighbours who conoved and conspired to hurriedly rush the capital toAbuja thinking the influence of Lagos will diminish. We know better now and this gutter people start rushing to lagos to benefit again afterall their conspiracies. Go back to your villages.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by CuntDestroyer1: 3:16pm On Nov 12, 2012
shymexx:

Cu.nt is back from NL jail... grin

YOU BETTER BELIEVE THAT
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by SisiKill1: 3:43pm On Nov 12, 2012
I am just on page 6 and I already have a headache. . . Please, Please, Please someone direct me to the article where it states that the illegal immigrants being discussed here are fellow Nigerians not originally from Lagos state?

The last I checked, we have people from Niger Republic, Benin Republic, Cameroon, Togo etc trooping into the country... specifically Lagos State. So why can't the Illegal immigrant status in the article posted in the OP be referring to those ones? Or is it that we just want to have silly arguments by deliberately misunderstanding the meaning of Illegal immigrants?!!

Although I have my doubts on how this whole thing will be implemented, considering there is no unique Identity number for each person and how easy it is to get any kind of official document (I have a friend who was born in the North and managed to get a BC stating he was born in Lagos State. . .and he wasn't even in the country) State IDs are a new thing. In the US, If you have been a resident of a state for more than 3 months, you are required by law to change your ID and DL to that state's. . .it does not matter which state you were born.

SO abeg, what is the lalakokofefe in the matter? Why are people having a conniption fit over it?
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by olivertwist: 4:29pm On Nov 12, 2012
Well done my Governor. But this is long overdue. Only a useless and, a good-for-nothing government will care less about the influx of aliens coming in & out of its state daily. There's need to have records of the number of people living in the state (indigene or non-indigene). I expect other intelligent governors to copy this idea. When was the last time we had a proper census as a country? No wonder 'Boko Ha-rams' from Mali,Niger,Mauritania,Chad etc are having a field day in our country. SMH
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by drnoel: 6:00pm On Nov 12, 2012
olivertwist: Well done my Governor. But this is long overdue. Only a useless and, a good-for-nothing government will care less about the influx of aliens coming in & out of its state daily. There's need to have records of the number of people living in the state (indigene or non-indigene). I expect other intelligent governors to copy this idea. When was the last time we had a proper census as a country? No wonder 'Boko Ha-rams' from Mali,Niger,Mauritania,Chad etc are having a field day in our country. SMH
of all the good it will do them...
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by queensmith: 8:59pm On Nov 12, 2012
Sisi_Kill: I am just on page 6 and I already have a headache. . . Please, Please, Please someone direct me to the article where it states that the illegal immigrants being discussed here are fellow Nigerians not originally from Lagos state?

The last I checked, we have people from Niger Republic, Benin Republic, Cameroon, Togo etc trooping into the country... specifically Lagos State. So why can't the Illegal immigrant status in the article posted in the OP be referring to those ones? Or is it that we just want to have silly arguments by deliberately misunderstanding the meaning of Illegal immigrants?!!

Although I have my doubts on how this whole thing will be implemented, considering there is no unique Identity number for each person and how easy it is to get any kind of official document (I have a friend who was born in the North and managed to get a BC stating he was born in Lagos State. . .and he wasn't even in the country) State IDs are a new thing. In the US, If you have been a resident of a state for more than 3 months, you are required by law to change your ID and DL to that state's. . .it does not matter which state you were born.

SO abeg, what is the lalakokofefe in the matter? Why are people having a conniption fit over it?

Yes there are plenty of immigrants in Lagos (and the whole of the country) but the figures are not alarming, certainly not reason to start introducing id cards (if it were for that sole purpose) we have a bigger problem of people moving out of the country than we do in so any sort of immigration (legal or otherwise) should be welcomed.

Nobody is throwing a fit over the term, it's becoming increasingly obvious that Fashola has a problem with non Lagosions, of course such movements will call for scrutiny.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by NegroNtns(m): 5:12am On Nov 13, 2012
Una still dey here shocked. why

Shymexx, cu nt_destroyer said his roots are in Ijebu Ode. Yanmiri want contest with yiu for Awujale stool. hahahaha.

Mexic......oops lipsrsealed, i mean yanmiri will be processed for border crossing back to Onitsha. grin grin grin
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Nobody: 5:33am On Nov 13, 2012
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Nobody: 7:38am On Nov 13, 2012
queensmith:

Yes there are plenty of immigrants in Lagos (and the whole of the country) but the figures are not alarming, certainly not reason to start introducing id cards (if it were for that sole purpose) we have a bigger problem of people moving out of the country than we do in so any sort of immigration (legal or otherwise) should be welcomed.

Nobody is throwing a fit over the term, it's becoming increasingly obvious that Fashola has a problem with non Lagosions, of course such movements will call for scrutiny.

Do you do drugs?
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by 7lives: 8:32am On Nov 13, 2012
Fashola should just go ahead and do his job, he should not get sentimental, hard way is the only way.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by FrankDGreat: 9:50am On Nov 13, 2012
I cn forsee d yorubas starting d revolution OBJ talked abt......dea maginalisation is getting out of hand......Fashola is now a dictator.
Fashola u r strong but God is stronger dan u......naija pple go survive

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

We Don’t Regret Not Supporting Buhari – Ohanaeze / Wike Sacks Chairman, Members Of Local Government Commission / Senate Hails Buhari On Completion Ajaokuta-warri Rail During Test Run Inspection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.