Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,106 members, 7,887,210 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 01:20 AM

"Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola (26629 Views)

Why Do Our Identity Cards Expire? / Synchronizing PVC, Drivers License, National Identity Cards, NHIS, ATM.. Etc / Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by saydfact(m): 9:25am On Nov 10, 2012
THIS MAN IS ON WEEEDDDDDDDDDDDD/... SINCE TINU-BOSS TEACH AM, IM DON DEY KOLO PASS IM OGA....
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by finni(m): 9:31am On Nov 10, 2012
Nice idea. lack of data has always been of the causes of development problems in Nigeria. I buy the idea in totality. all things being equal.

2 Likes

Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Burger01(m): 9:32am On Nov 10, 2012
geeez:

I wonder why they can barely understand this

Very soon other states will start theirs too
Exactly my point. Developments starts from initiatives like this and spread round all states and soon we have a central citizen database for proper national planning. Those that are kicking against this initiative are clueless and kinda backward. How else would they expect development? I tire for naija people. We have govt in place in Lagos state that want to implement initiatives gained from various trips abroad to help development in the state, yet naija people are complaining.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by abiamahart: 9:47am On Nov 10, 2012
For purposes of security it sounds right but these days there is need to scrutinize all govt supposed laudable initiatives:

Now lets think outside the box;

1) Lagos state supported the last census figures to justify the agitation for more LGA'S which gave birth to LCDA's

2) Lets fast forward to 2015 Can the Lagos state govt guarantee that the data base that will be generated which is wholly under its control/ruling party ACN will not be abused by the state electoral body LASIEC?

3) Now lets revisit 2011 Fashola was the card flown by ACN as a brand. Voters asked to see the pix of persons they are to vote for for house of rep/Senate? the posters were blank. Some had group photos without definition of positions been aspired for. They eventually fixed names at their own will which led to their internal rancour.

4) Today the list of identity cards possessed by a Nigerian living in Lagos can run from his neck to his feet;

a) International Passport
b) National ID card
c) FRSC National Drivers License
d) Lagos Drivers License
e) TIN Card
f) National Voters Card
g) Riders card(Okada)
h) Your company employee ID
I) Your student ID card
j) Your church ID card
k) Your club ID card
l) Your estate ID card

The list is endless. Hmmmn Lagos!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by ayando(m): 10:04am On Nov 10, 2012
lagos is setting the pace for others to follow,just that nigerians have not gotten to that level of mindset. This is a wake-up call for the Federal to set her priority right n stop being a slowpoke
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Nobody: 10:08am On Nov 10, 2012
Gbawe:

I am just unconvinced this will reduce let alone cure the problem of urban migration that, to me, is the target of this initiative.
EXACTLY! If that's the purpose of it, then I think its ok.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by queensmith: 10:16am On Nov 10, 2012
Gbawe:
True Lagosians (Igbo, Yoruba, Edo, Kanuri, Fulani et al) understand we are one in love for each other and our State. If we want to discuss an action of our governor, let us do it from the perspective of whether he is right or wrong. I can understand Fashola's frustration because of the dereliction of duty by other Governors that makes his job harder. I fully understand even that Lagos is not treated with honesty or given the support it deserves by our 419 FG.

Nonetheless, Nigerians are Nigerians. This will be an exercise in cynicism with lawless Nigerians trooping in from all States to register as 'lagosians'. It is a protectionist action and no similar example worldwide readily comes to mind yet I stand to be corrected on that assertion. I.e States within a nation issuing its own ID card. This is 100% segregation and should be discouraged because it sets a bad precedence . Perhaps we have split up as a nation and no one told me.

Fashola should focus his effort on strengthening strict law and order. That I support because it will drive out the layabouts. Fashola is not god and he cannot be right always. I think he is wrong here. Where do we draw the line as Nigerians? Every state has ID cards, then what next? LGA ID cards? Housing estate ID cards withing a Country? This is protectionism and clannishness gone mad. Let us be careful supporting Fashola blindly. The statement below should worry many of us who are ostensibly educated folks. In this day and age, is it not distasteful to even view Nigerians as "illegal citizens" within any geographic space in their own Country?

Even though I needed a dictionary to read your post, queue 'icendiary' I think it was excellent!

I agree with everything, and I think its rather frightening the LSG have moved from subtle measures of driving away 'poor non Lagosions' to outrightly to printing ID cards and calling 'them' illegal immigrants. I'm sure there are better ways to handle the overpopulation.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Osiris211: 10:43am On Nov 10, 2012
Only when you agree with my terms. . .I'll be in Lagos next week. cool

berem: You think so? Oya na make we dey watch.if I decide not to have it,wetin Fashola go do? Deport me? Won bi da!! tongue
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by coogar: 11:09am On Nov 10, 2012
Gbawe:
Where do you see that being done worldwide with a "resident" ID card that ostensibly confers more rights on some than others they share citizenship with regarding use of a geographical space within a nation? Where are we taking our examples from in Nigeria?

i reiterate......some states in america issue resident's card......
why are people against this exercise? has fashola come out to say it would be used to discriminate against non-lagosians? a state of 21 million population and yet no central database to identify who is who - and all you can see is segregation? gbawe, are you sure this is you posting or someone hijacked your nairaland account?

Censuses and headcounts are acceptable tools of demographic/social/economic planning but what is the concept behind States having "resident identity card"? I certainly admit that Fashola is a great administrator but I don't agree with this current move. Of course I may be wrong but I am just unconvinced this will reduce let alone cure the problem of urban migration that, to me, is the target of this initiative.

unfortunately, census and headcount would not reveal the true statistics - it is either understated or overstated. people have been manipulating that exercise in nigeria since the fall of adam - the biometrics system in this new move is a niche! no 2 humans can have the same fingerprint - so there can be no double entry or impersonation!
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Gbawe: 11:19am On Nov 10, 2012
coogar:

i reiterate......some states in america issue resident's card......
why are people against this exercise? has fashola come out to say it would be used to discriminate against non-lagosians? a state of 21 million population and yet no central database to identify who is who - and all you can see is segregation? gbawe, are you sure this is you posting this or someone hijacked your nairaland account?

unfortunately, census and headcount would not reveal the true statistics - it is either understated or overstated. people have been manipulating that exercise in nigeria since the fall of adam - the biometrics system in this new move is a niche! no 2 humans can have the same fingerprint - so there can be no double entry or impersonation!

Let us try and avoid revisionism. In the USA, the issuance is totally optional and not to "control illegal citizens". You can use the link below to see how many Nations of the world have the model Lagos wants to implement. Certain things should be made legally clear before Lagos starts attempting to set itself up as a nation within Nigeria. I simply don't understand why we cannot see what is important here.

Lagos is a cosmopolitan melting pot. There are other ways that would help to control urban migration than this cynical exercise that only promotes segregation and 'throws down the gauntlet' to others in my opinion. By the way, no one has hijacked my user name. I am just not obliged to go along with everything Fashola does. I inspect things on individual merit. This appears draconian and polarising to me. You guys should show examples where this is done in the world in precisely the way Lagos is proposing.

Worldwide, the trend is to work towards National unity and Identity card schemes , even in Africa, reflect this as seen through the link below. Yet we want to undermine that concept setting a bad precedence with an idea glaringly undesirable by how solitary it is. Leaders like Fashola who mean well are only getting frustrated because we the people will not help them demand what must be done from the FG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_document

In the United States, states issue optional identity cards for people who do not hold a driver's license as an alternate means of identification. These cards are issued by the same organization responsible for driver's licenses, usually called the Department of Motor Vehicles.

2 Likes

Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by coogar: 11:31am On Nov 10, 2012
Gbawe:
Let us try and avoid revisionism. It is totally optional and not to "control illegal citizens". You can use the link below to see how many Nations of the world have the model Lagos wants to implement. Certain things should be made legally clear before Lagos starts attempting to set itself up as a nation within Nigeria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_document

so what's the difference? the optional ID cards you have shown me here is not a driving license and you need enough documents and a proof of address to get one! how's it any different to what fashola is about to do?

americans wont use this state issued IDs for immigration because there's a system already in place with a central database.....nigeria have no such system in place...no database, nang! is it normal in your own view that we have no central database to identify who is who? the lagos government must start somewhere.....i don't care where - let them just get some data and start building from there on ....

if this exercise achieves to capture 5 million out of the 21 million population estimate in lagos state then it's a good start! i am all for any biometric database in lagos. this is 2012 not 1012. it's a crying shame that we are just starting when other countries have left us.....lagos cannot wait for our yeye federal government suffering creeping neurosis before they kick off their own programme - it is lagos who has to deal with overpopulaion, not abuja!

1 Like

Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by ogezworld: 11:50am On Nov 10, 2012
tax o tax oo,tax oooooooooooooooo you must pay
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Amitex(m): 11:52am On Nov 10, 2012
Methink that Lagos and ACN have lost focus. The only problem is that PDP is not doing well.
Can someone ask MIMIKO to begin grooming a good candidate to take over Lagos State under the Labour Party. I will personally mobilise for such a candidate. THIS IS THE REAL CHANGE FOR 2015, "LAGOS 4 LABOUR 2015"
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Samxiulee: 11:52am On Nov 10, 2012
I think the lagos state government need to come out with a better explanation,reasons for issuing a state resident card,we need to know the reason for the card,what are the consequences of not holding the card and residing in lagos?
How are they going to mitigate against residents of other states from registering in lagos?
If they want to have a data base of residents in lagos they can only get a honest figure,with no string attached to the exercise,I.e. "resident card".
I am a full blood lagosian and am already worried about the implication of this exercise,because we don't av control over our state boundary,
If they want to take bio metrics of all the residents good, but to issue a card? No. They should use the money for the cards to dredge the canals.
I love fashola but he is only human.

2 Likes

Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by coogar: 11:56am On Nov 10, 2012
Sam xiu lee: I think the lagos state government need to come out with a better explanation,reason of issuing a state resident,we need to know the reason for the card,what are the consequences of not holding the card and residing in lagos?
How are they going to mitigate against residents of other states from registering in lagos?
I think if they want to have a data base of residents in lagos they can only get a honest figure,with no string attached to the exercise,I.e. "resident card".
I am a full blood lagosian and am already worried about the implication of this exercise,because we don't av control over our state boundary,
If they want to take bio metrics of all the residents,good but to issue a card? No please they should use the money for the cards to dredge the canals.
I love fashola but he is only human.

so you want them to take the biometrics of people but you don't want a card issued.....tell me then, how would you be identified if you don't have a card? you expect every law enforcer to have a fingerprint machine on them in all parts of lagos? you people need exposure!
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Samxiulee: 12:08pm On Nov 10, 2012
coogar:

so you want them to take the biometrics of people but you don't want a card issued.....tell me then, how would you be identified if you don't have a card? you expect every law enforcer to have a fingerprint machine on them in all parts of lagos? you people need exposure!
that is why I asked what is the purpose of the card?am carrying enough cards already in my wallet,is it going to be a crime to walk on the street of lagos without the card?so why should a law enforcement officer ask me for the card?are non residents going to face another law than what residents are facing?
If its to capture data and to plan for the people?yes am all for it but it can be done without cards Which is going to cost the govt more money.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Sberries: 12:25pm On Nov 10, 2012
Racism!!!
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by eldoradoxx: 12:41pm On Nov 10, 2012
"Akiniyi said that resident identity card would be issue to those who would be captured during the exercise, to differentiate between legal residents and illegal immigrants"] Lagos state lacks the legal authority to determine immigration status of anybody whether a foriengner or a citizen of Nigeria. That power belongs to federal government of Nigeria

1 Like

Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by adefash(m): 12:43pm On Nov 10, 2012
This is a good idea. Since it has been predicted that lasgidi will be washed away by flood in the next 50yrs, this will make us have exact figure of those who will be washed away.(pardon me this is an expensive joke)

1 Like

Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by geeez: 12:53pm On Nov 10, 2012
adefash: This is a good idea. Since it has been predicted that lasgidi will be washed away by flood in the next 50yrs, this will make us have exact figure of those who will be washed away.(pardon me this is an expensive joke)

We know we won't wait 50yrs before the remaining half of your Igbo land not currently ravaged by erosion is washed away.

We are living witnesses to the first salvo fired by Mother Nature

Anti progress race

Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Nobody: 1:00pm On Nov 10, 2012
“The registration exercise will be carried out in view of the security situation and the influx of illegal aliens into the state, Akiniyi said. He said that all residents, irrespective of ethnic background, as well as foreigners– including tourists– would be captured in the exercise scheduled to hold between Jan. and March 2013.“

I think this fashola dude is losing it.

Did they say "illegal aliens"? This is shocking! Wow, how can a citizen of Nigeria be an illegal alien in his fatherland? Ok, so what if during the course of the identification registration exercise, millions of unwanted aliens seized the opportunity to get registered and identified as bonafide lagosians? Yes, because they said "tourists" will issued identity cards too. So what if the okoros you guys so hate troop in en masse from the east to get registered eh?
Damn, so after the registration, what next? - mandatory uniforms for lagosians i guess.

3 Likes

Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by naturalwaves: 1:02pm On Nov 10, 2012
Amitex: Methink that Lagos and ACN have lost focus. The only problem is that PDP is not doing well.
Can someone ask MIMIKO to begin grooming a good candidate to take over Lagos State under the Labour Party. I will personally mobilise for such a candidate. THIS IS THE REAL CHANGE FOR 2015, "LAGOS 4 LABOUR 2015"
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by naturalwaves: 1:10pm On Nov 10, 2012
Amitex: Methink that Lagos and ACN have lost focus. The only problem is that PDP is not doing well.
Is it the same Mimiko that has failed woefully in Ondo state yiu are referring to or another
One? An incubent Governor that could not pull 50% of the votes in returning back to office. He was able to pull only 44% but unfortunately, we have a lot of daft political analysts. A sitting Governor could not convince half of the populase that he is good enough. SMH. If there was only one major opposition party, Mimiko would be out of power by now. A failure has nothing or no one to groom. When Fashola was re elected, it was a flawless victory so, do not bring Mimiko into the light here. Comparing Mimiko with Fashola in any form is a great insult.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Phonon: 1:17pm On Nov 10, 2012
Soon 'illegal immigrants' would be branded with numbers and given arm bands with the Star of Tinubu on it and then shipped off to concentration camps.Most of the investment in the state is owned by people who came from outside the state.This is an ill-advised decision that would create our own apartheid system where some people would be considered second-class citizens.THIS IS THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA NOT ACN REPUBLIC.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by coogar: 1:25pm On Nov 10, 2012
Sam xiu lee: that is why I asked what is the purpose of the card?am carrying enough cards already in my wallet,is it going to be a crime to walk on the street of lagos without the card?so why should a law enforcement officer ask me for the card?are non residents going to face another law than what residents are facing?
If its to capture data and to plan for the people?yes am all for it but it can be done without cards Which is going to cost the govt more money.

this card would supersede some of the cards you already carry......
throw away your okada card, old voters card, etc.....the purpose of this card is security....help the state clamp down on crime!
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by solomon111(m): 1:30pm On Nov 10, 2012
Shollypopz:
What d fvck are u saying, u demented goat!! Lagos will be Lagos with or without other tribes! Now shut ur pie hole, I've had enough of ur silly talk!
Now that is a bloody lie.
Do you know about Nigeria at all?
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by solomon111(m): 1:38pm On Nov 10, 2012
The day fashola will deport any south-south indigene with high political connections,is the day his political career is buried.
Then he will know who really runs this country.
Fuccking parasites.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by geeez: 2:33pm On Nov 10, 2012
solomon111: The day fashola will deport any south-south indigene with high political connections,is the day his political career is buried.
Then he will know who really runs this country.
Fuccking parasites.

We are parasites in our own land? shocked

So why is the GDP of Oyo State higher than the GDP of any south eastern state? And why is it that only Imo has a higher GDP in the whole of the SE than Ogun State? The GDP of the SW states minus Lagos is higher than the GDP of the SE states. To add Lagos will be overkilling it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nigerian_states_by_GDP
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Samxiulee: 2:38pm On Nov 10, 2012
coogar:

this card would supersede some of the cards you already carry......
throw away your okada card, old voters card, etc.....the purpose of this card is security....help the state clamp down on crime!
how will the card supercede the numerous ones that am carrying?will the card be a substitute for my drvers licence,national I'd,voters card?how is it going to Stop crime?is it coming with a tracking device?what are the security features the card is going to come with?are we saying that the people who commit crime in the state are from other state and non residents?
If it is all about security,then they need more of the solar powered security cameras and equip and train our law enforcement officers,not a meaningless residential card.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Tafugo: 2:43pm On Nov 10, 2012
Negro_Ntns: They are like mexicans....everytime you repatriate them they are back crossing the border.

Lol
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Desola(f): 2:51pm On Nov 10, 2012
CuntDestroyer:

i detect the smell of fresh herpes.

Mr. Globe, aka Freeglobe, aka advocae666, you don pitch tent here with another id?
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Tafugo: 2:57pm On Nov 10, 2012
shymexx: No one has explained how the legal and illegal status would be determined...

Are the legal residents the indigenes, those born and raised in Lagos, those who have lived in Lagos for a period of time, and house owners in Lagos??

If so, who are the illegal residents??

BTW, the database thingy is long overdue and a brilliant idea... However, I'm confused about the resident status...

Me thinks the Illegals are those Nigerians (from Niger republic ) who have flooded Lagos and amount to about 60 % of the Okada riders in Lagos.Those with legitimate businesses and reasons for being in Lagos and who pay taxes are eligible to apply for the ID Igbo,Hausa,Edo, Nupe, Idoma, Junkun etc. Why do Igbo people always think every progressive policy is against them, when Abia citizens petitioned an Anambra born Abia (by marriage ) woman for being appointed to the Fed high court.im sure if she had a valid Abia I'd card the matter would have been settled abi.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Ali Modu Sheriff Remains PDP Chairman, Appeal Court Rules / Senate Passes Buhari’s Anti-Corruption Bill / Bell 412 Helicopter Inducted By Nigerian Air Force (Photos)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.