Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,106 members, 7,887,212 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 01:23 AM

"Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola (26630 Views)

Why Do Our Identity Cards Expire? / Synchronizing PVC, Drivers License, National Identity Cards, NHIS, ATM.. Etc / Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Vado(m): 6:25am On Nov 10, 2012
But seriously people needs to chill with the non-indigenes made lagos outright b.s. Even pre-independence era lagos was doing fine and I can bet a porsche will miss nobody if sects that are overly full of themselves pop off.
This registration is a good move. People acting as if insecurity isn't the biggest threat to nigeria's development as at today. Northern naija is almost finished because of the lack of checks and foresight which led to boko-haram's successfully breeding up there. Now their Governors saddled with the responsibility of protecting their people are now even boko puppets begging terrorists publicly. Fashola's trying to avoiding this kind of end but ya'll busy castigating him when you should be applauding. Same with the okada move which someone mentioned earlier is dominated by 90% abokis. Do ya'll know the numbers of lives that have been spared from umtimely death due to the recklessness of these riders within the period of ban to this moment? I'm sure less than 20% of those guys can present a license/permit. The emergence of okada has hindered educational developments if ya'll don't know. I see boys of about 15yrs sometimes in school uniforms wilding out on it even during school hours and it's even worse in the north yet most of ya'll are willing to commit your sacred lives into such hands. How can such person care about what the teacher says in class? Most of these guys attitude up-north is f**k school, I'm getting cash with this okada ish so they just toss their beast in a lagos-bound truck. Igbos are enterprising no doubt and just wanna do their trading and live without stress as much as us yorubas and elite northerners too but let us be a respecter of the law and place it above all.
Please let fashola do his thing, you don't make a london or new york in a day but changes must happen and the government can't always dance to the tune of the citizens since achieving greatness isn't a jolly ride especially for a complex state like lagos. I believe the registration is opened for all residents, have it done as soon as it begins and move on with your life. Stop crying like a baby-buggy.

6 Likes

Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by codeworks(m): 6:30am On Nov 10, 2012
I never like lagos due too much people living there. I think the desision foshola is taking nice one but forget that lagos is not independent. FG should emulate these ideals
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Nobody: 6:40am On Nov 10, 2012
It will go in a long way to declare true figure s of people living in Lagos infancy it's an idea every state should emulate have all your citizens in a data base and it will reduce cost of running population census and bring the illegal immigrant to the open
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by geeez: 6:46am On Nov 10, 2012
Baby mama:

It is not explicit and you have not explained a thing
Do you realize some homes do not have electricity
So what bill will those residents show as proof?

How many times have I said utility bills won't be needed. I don taya abeg
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by lankspex(m): 6:49am On Nov 10, 2012
We'll be getting visas to enter lagos next,nawao
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by sheyguy: 6:58am On Nov 10, 2012
Governor Fashola is about to bite more than he can chew, what he is doing definitely won't go down well with the North and the central PDP caucus - those who prefer to assume Lagos' population is ~10 million.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by subnormal: 7:03am On Nov 10, 2012
lekibraky: It will go in a long way to declare true figure s of people living in Lagos infancy it's an idea every state should emulate have all your citizens in a data base and it will reduce cost of running population census and bring the illegal immigrant to the open

I really dont understand what you mean when u say illegal immigrants. Is there any requirement, other than being a citizen of naija or having naija visa one has to meet before being allowed to stay in lag? I want states to have a good database of residents, but not ID cards...abi na visa
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by ektbear: 7:08am On Nov 10, 2012
good development.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Nobody: 7:09am On Nov 10, 2012
what of ogun and Oyo residents working in Lagos, how would this initiative affect them? ...after all, they pay bulk of their tax to Lagos.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Talk2naija(m): 7:12am On Nov 10, 2012
Atlast, the Revolution I have been waiting for is near, please let submit this Man, he's a the right person to lead Nigeria to the promiseland, you people should look into it, if the population reduces it will be very nice to live comftable in Lagos, the problem I see in the whole issue is that, Nigerian is not yet ripe for this kind of thing. But its such a good start.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by mbhs139(m): 7:14am On Nov 10, 2012
coogar:

if all those omo onile and agberos can register to vote, own bank cards, own mobile phones then getting a resident's ID shouldn't be a problem! i back this idea 100%. if another government comes in, they would continue where fashola stopped!

we all complain nigeria have no central database to identify culprits when criminal activities are committed. a man has stepped up to the plate to start acquiring data and you people are shouting him down - what is wrong with nigerians?

why are you people reluctant to positive changes? is this a tribal issue or a security issue?
damned if the government proffers solutions, damned if they don't!!!

You make sense. A lot of sense
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by mbhs139(m): 7:18am On Nov 10, 2012
subnormal:

I really dont understand what you mean when u say illegal immigrants. Is there any requirement, other than being a citizen of naija or having naija visa one has to meet before being allowed to stay in lag? I want states to have a good database of residents, but not ID cards...abi na visa

So, you cockroach brain no tell you say there are illegals citizens in Lagos? Aren't you aware that there are citizens of foreign nations stow away in containers to Lagos, aside from ecowas countries? You no get sense
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Talk2naija(m): 7:20am On Nov 10, 2012
mbhs139:

You make sense. A lot of sense
nice one, Our Destiny is in our own hand, please let's form a forum to support this kind of idea. Fashola is a hero
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by lumeneng22: 7:21am On Nov 10, 2012
Na this one go comot agbero and other criminals from laguois? Or another way of wasting state funds when there no good roads to pass?
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by temithony: 7:24am On Nov 10, 2012
Please tell me, how bears the cost of the identity card?
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by OkwaIfugo(m): 7:29am On Nov 10, 2012
Eko ni gbaje ooo
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by mavinc4u(f): 7:29am On Nov 10, 2012
Is a welcome idea but should it be Lagos I D or should it be Nigeria security number? it is better to have database of people staying in a country and not lagos alone,unless is no longer one Nigeria.by the way who are illegal immigrants;foreigners to this country or a Ngerian from another state living in Lagos? Am just curious
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Classicalman(m): 7:30am On Nov 10, 2012
O ma se o!!! So many HIDDEN POSTS!!!! What is happning hia?
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by montelik(m): 7:31am On Nov 10, 2012
"Illegal aliens". Who exactly drafted this statement or policy and used that word? When did Lagos become a republic with its own borders. How you frame an issue shows your ultimate inner intentions.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Gbawe: 7:33am On Nov 10, 2012
9 pages of mainly insults and abuse? We are "up shite's creek without a paddle" in Nigeria. What is all this egotistic preening, disguised as debate, in aid of ? How many of you talking here are even lagosians? How many of you live in Lagos? Some who have never set foot in Lagos are even mouthing off. What manner of shamelessly arrogant egotism makes you people feel your voice must be the loudest? You people are just stoking the fire of enmity, jingoism and conflict because of your vapid ego. You don't care about Lagos and you certainly all are not concerned with the concept of how the State must be fair to its inhabitants.

@topic

True Lagosians (Igbo, Yoruba, Edo, Kanuri, Fulani et al) understand we are one in love for each other and our State. If we want to discuss an action of our governor, let us do it from the perspective of whether he is right or wrong. I can understand Fashola's frustration because of the dereliction of duty by other Governors that makes his job harder. I fully understand even that Lagos is not treated with honesty or given the support it deserves by our 419 FG.

Nonetheless, Nigerians are Nigerians. This will be an exercise in cynicism with lawless Nigerians trooping in from all States to register as 'lagosians'. It is a protectionist action and no similar example worldwide readily comes to mind yet I stand to be corrected on that assertion. I.e States within a nation issuing its own ID card. This is 100% segregation and should be discouraged because it sets a bad precedence . Perhaps we have split up as a nation and no one told me.

Fashola should focus his effort on strengthening strict law and order. That I support because it will drive out the layabouts. Fashola is not god and he cannot be right always. I think he is wrong here. Where do we draw the line as Nigerians? Every state has ID cards, then what next? LGA ID cards? Housing estate ID cards withing a Country? This is protectionism and clannishness gone mad. Let us be careful supporting Fashola blindly. The statement below should worry many of us who are ostensibly educated folks. In this day and age, is it not distasteful to even view Nigerians as "illegal citizens" within any geographic space in their own Country?

The incendiary diasporans here should be ashamed of themselves. They should tell me if they become "illegal citizens" when they leave London to move to Milton Keynes or when they switch New York for Houston. You are benefiting from evolved and progressive thinking in your diasporan bases yet suggesting the opposite for Nigerians on the ground.

What is Fashola planning? lock out Nigerians from lagos who cannot show the States ID card? What will be the ideological basis for identifying and maintaining Lagosian status if not one discriminatory parameter or another?

The registrations of over 20million people living in Lagos is aimed at providing better governance and to control the influx of illegal citizens.

3 Likes

Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by mbhs139(m): 7:33am On Nov 10, 2012
temithony: Please tell me, how bears the cost of the identity card?

The person that always been bearing the cost of Government expenditure ... And they are the ones who will benefit from the exercise.

You see my friend, let's at least wait and see the commencement of the exericse before we start criticising. Just like someone previously said on this tread and I quote:

if all those omo onile and agberos can register to vote, own bank cards, own mobile phones then getting a resident's ID shouldn't be a problem! i back this idea 100%. if another government comes in, they would continue where fashola stopped!

we all complain nigeria have no central database to identify culprits when criminal activities are committed. a man has stepped up to the plate to start acquiring data and you people are shouting him down - what is wrong with nigerians?

why are you people reluctant to positive changes? is this a tribal issue or a security issue? damned if the government proffers solutions, damned if they don't!!!

This is the point.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Nobody: 7:39am On Nov 10, 2012
Whats the interest rate for loans in Nigeria? Do you know one of the reasons its so high, is because Lenders cannot properly identify people, thus the reluctance to loan money to the average citizen to set up small businesses which are critical, not just to the overall economy but in the creation of a middle class? Now, imagine a situation where the banks know who just walked into their institution, his credit worthiness, and his financial history just by punching in a couple of numbers into their computers. Next, they know where he lives and have all info on file... do you really think banks will be reluctant to loan people money or charge exorbitant fees as interests rates?

No matter how you slice and dice it---- from better Data collection to determination of how funds will be allocated/areas to be developed, Security, Finance etc--- this i.d scheme makes a lot of sense and should be encouraged.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by lumeneng22: 7:40am On Nov 10, 2012
shymexx: Brilliant idea - however, I don't think the "legal" and "illegal" residents status is necessary...

It seems we're going to start seeing the deportation of Nigerians within Nigeria in the nearest future, and that would be counterproductive against the "unity" of the country. Other states might start implementing similar policies and that would be problematic....

Database - brilliant idea...

Legal and illegal residents - hmmmmm... undecided
.Yes! All those yoruba illegal immigrants infiltrating SE, ND, NC, NE etc will have get passport and visa before entry also.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by mbhs139(m): 7:41am On Nov 10, 2012
Gbawe: The registrations of over 20million people living in Lagos is aimed at providing better governance and to control the influx of illegal citizens

At the boldened does not include Nigerians. That's my take. It simply points to citizens of other non west african countries trooping into lagos through the various border post manned by the corrupt federal officials.

Aren't you aware of Chaddians, Beninous, Nigerians (i mean people from Niger) trooping to Lagos to work as Okadas. Even if there is Visa free movement for the people of Ecowas countries, isn't there suppose to be some control? The ID thing is not a bad idea, it isn't at all.

Let's see it start first, then let's see if non-lagos indegenes will be excluded from the exercise, we can then castigate.

No doubt I'm a fan of Fash, but I don't blindly support him, because he can't be right at all the times. But for this, at least, they must have done their study very well.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by sholasho(m): 7:43am On Nov 10, 2012
Lagos state will willingly issue the cards to non - lagosians too. but be wise to know you will pay tax real bad.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by BigBashiru: 7:43am On Nov 10, 2012
anybody with an iota of common sense should be opposing this scheme speaking from a religious perspective.
I remember when I was a child, it was said that during those end times the benefits of the 'system' will be heavily touted and it will be easily sold to the citizens; I had predicted on this forum before that the government will use security and immigration as an excuse for such a callous scheme. And make no mistake, this so called mark of the beast system is this ID card system - for it is universal across the world.

The Government of Nigeria needed to start with the cashless Nigeria project to eliminate cash, NUBAN now this ID card. These are the works of Satan. As stated, you must have ID for govt services. Before you talk me down for being a conspiracy theorist, visit Nigerian Identity Management Commission website - they basically used all of the phone companies as data collection agents, will implement a NIN system (like a social security number) and then this ID card. The one on the NIMC website is designed to be payment enabled, not sure if this is being implemented on a state by state basis.

Again there is an agenda here, the plan is Federal ID system - Lagos is always used to start with.

In theory, Lagos ID card is a good idea and I welcome it - it is efficient. The problem and associated religious implications arise when you cant do anything meaningful without the card. If you combine a cashless or semi-cashless economy with an ID card that is payment enabled as shown on NIMC website - you lose privacy in your financial transactions as the govt can tell all your transactions, sales tax can be forced on you, if a dictactor gets into power in Nigeria, you can get arrested and imprisoned without cause.

The government can simply use tax IDs to identify people or plain old passport.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by playahP(m): 7:47am On Nov 10, 2012
"Illegal aliens"....

I support the idea of identity cards but who are the "illegal aliens"
Unless he is trying to push out foriegners(non-nigerians) without valid passport.

Cos any nigerian person has the right to be in ny state @ ny time
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Nobody: 7:48am On Nov 10, 2012
kingoflag: See why I insist this country has to split
I support this statement. That's why I am highly interested in the SW integration. I pray 2015 brings the division.
chinnyonwu: This Loagos state! E remain for u people to declare una sovereign state. Mtcheeew
More like regional state.
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by ABUGEORGE(m): 7:48am On Nov 10, 2012
They should leave d state for fashola and his other politians to rule themselves. Lagos are now regrettin why dey voted for dis man, dis is second tenure is a pains and hurt for lagos people. He should take a look at comrade Adam oshiomole how second tenure is being done. Dis fashola fall his hand after all d good he has done and use dis is second tenure to cause pain for d people. I just hope dey didnt include u in d presidency becos nigerians are watchin and have known d better people's not lik u fashola
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by mbhs139(m): 7:49am On Nov 10, 2012
BigBashiru: anybody with an iota of common sense should be opposing this scheme speaking from a religious perspective.
I remember when I was a child, it was said that during those end times the benefits of the 'system' will be heavily touted and it will be easily sold to the citizens; I had predicted on this forum before that the government will use security and immigration as an excuse for such a callous scheme. And make no mistake, this so called mark of the beast system is this ID card system - for it is universal across the world.

The Government of Nigeria needed to start with the cashless Nigeria project to eliminate cash, NUBAN now this ID card. These are the works of Satan. As stated, you must have ID for govt services. Before you talk me down for being a conspiracy theorist, visit Nigerian Identity Management Commission website - they basically used all of the phone companies as data collection agents, will implement a NIN system (like a social security number) and then this ID card. The one on the NIMC website is designed to be payment enabled, not sure if this is being implemented on a state by state basis.

Again there is an agenda here, the plan is Federal ID system - Lagos is always used to start with.

In theory, Lagos ID card is a good idea and I welcome i[/b]t - it is efficient. The [b]problem and associated religious implications arise when you cant do anything meaningful without the card. If you combine a cashless or semi-economy with an ID card that is payment enabled as shown on NIMC website - you lose privacy in your financial transactions as the govt can tell all your transactions, sales tax can be forced on you, if a dictactor gets into power in Nigeria, you can get arrested and imprisoned without cause.

The government can simply use tax IDs to identify people or plain old passport.

What's your point? You are speaking from both sides of your mouth. By the way, what has religion got to do with this?
you aren't quiet making sense. Could you be explicit
Re: "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola by Nobody: 7:49am On Nov 10, 2012
The conditions for me having that identity card are:

It must be absolutely FREE
I must not stand and wait under the sun during the registration
Every Bank and other establishments must recognize it
I must not be harrassed by Law Enforcement Agencies if I don't have the card with me

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply)

Oshiomhole Spent N14Billion On Website - Omo-Ojo / Relist Nigeria As A Violator Of Religious Freedom, US Senators Write Biden / JAMB: Northerners Value Honesty Above Ethnicity - Reno Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.