Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,175 members, 7,880,664 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 12:32 AM

A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience (22306 Views)

Kano-lagos Train Derails After Hitting ‘abandoned’ Truck On Rail Track / 900 Passengers Escape Death In Lagos Train Accident / Critcism Of Fashola And The Lagos Train Project - Bad Belle And Silly Politics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by bilms(m): 2:58pm On Jan 25, 2013
HELL OF TRAIN

I took a train from ilorin to lagos to confirm the said transformation and guess what? It took me 21hours to reach Lasgidi from Ilorin. On top of that train, you would notice multitude of people,but guess what? Contrary to what people are saying, they didnt climb it for free,they paid equal money with those inside.

The railway staffs would sell 2500 tickets when the train can only accommodate 900 people and when the people that couldn't get a sit request for refund,they would say it is none refundable. full article coming soon

Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by bilms(m): 4:40pm On Jan 25, 2013
cool
Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by Wadeoye(m): 5:08pm On Jan 25, 2013
The same old rusty train and GEJ buutlickers are making noise. Is this the transformation he promised?

7 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by GARRIx7(m): 6:11pm On Jan 25, 2013
I hope you enjoyed the fresh air during ur trip!!!

14 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by GARRIx7(m): 6:13pm On Jan 25, 2013
I hope you enjoyed the fresh air during ur trip!!!

Besides, that ur 0.1MP fone try small sha!!!

cheesy

6 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by takedat(m): 6:38pm On Jan 25, 2013
grin grin @Op, you sure say no be Mumbai be that? No be small thing to enjoy 21hr FRESH AIR train travel.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by Clerverly: 6:53pm On Jan 25, 2013
Bilm, abeg make insincere_9igerian no catch youoo my hand no dey. You better remove am now grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by bilms(m): 7:54pm On Jan 25, 2013
Who be insincere nigeria
Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by 4va3sa22na(f): 10:01pm On Jan 25, 2013
bilms: Who be insincere nigeria

Beaf incarnate....

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by bilms(m): 11:00pm On Jan 25, 2013
I no c am jo
Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by EkoIle1: 11:35pm On Jan 25, 2013
Your 21 hour misery is odechukwus achievement.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by CROWE: 11:38pm On Jan 25, 2013
It wouldn't be Nigeria if it wasn't royally fvcked up.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by dayokanu(m): 12:25am On Jan 26, 2013
If Retardeen Jonathan's achievement is a 21hour trip from ilorin to Lagos Abeg how long would trekking/cycling Ilorin to Lagos take

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by ballabriggs: 12:58am On Jan 26, 2013
Clerverly, thelastPope(m), OmidanOjuloge and 2 guest(s)

Bros, how far now? grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by Hardfact: 1:40am On Jan 26, 2013
bilms: HELL OF TRAIN

I took a train from ilorin to lagos to confirm the said transformation and guess what? It took me 21hours to reach Lasgidi from Ilorin. On top of that train, you would notice multitude of people,but guess what? Contrary to what people are saying, they didnt climb it for free,they paid equal money with those inside.

The railway staffs would sell 2500 tickets when the train can only accommodate 900 people and when the people that couldn't get a sit request for refund,they would say it is none refundable. full article coming soon
Bros Kpele. We still've got a long way to go. Nigerian govt: more you look, less you see.
Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by azpekuliar: 2:06am On Jan 26, 2013
take dat: grin grin @Op, you sure say no be Mumbai be that? No be small thing to enjoy 21hr FRESH AIR train travel.

cheesy grin
Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by redsun(m): 2:32am On Jan 26, 2013
For real? This is not the government problem now,it is the management. Average everyday nigerians behaves like wild animals and a situation like that can never encourage good leadership.

All have to be accountable and responsible for their actions,including the railway staffs and passengers.

26 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by seanet01: 2:57am On Jan 26, 2013
Thunder Fire PDP.
Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by Kobojunkie: 3:55am On Jan 26, 2013
ROFLMAO!!!

How did 7 hour train turn to 21 hours? shocked See as people dey the top self. What the heck are those people thinking?
Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by Justcash(m): 4:15am On Jan 26, 2013
All of you that are blaming GEJ for this one are very daft. He is refurbishing the rail system. Is it not the duty of the masses to guard and ensure that these infrastructures are operated efficiently? The people that are to blame for this rot are;
A. The masses that prefer to hang like monkeys on top of the coaches instead of sitting like decent people inside.
B. The inefficiency of the masses that got employed after these trains were brought back to life.
C. The illiterate masses that cannot just be patient on order for the coaches to be operated within its capacity.
D. The preference of the masses for short cuts even if it implies indulging in corrupt practices.
E. The chaotic orientation of the Nigerian masses.
F. The Spineless masses that cannot exercise their civic rights by demanding for orderly conduct through legal means.

Everything is not about the FG. You will just be surprised at the kind of criticism and antagonism that will come from the masses following any plan by the FG to restore order through coercion. Nonsense.

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by egift(m): 8:46am On Jan 26, 2013
^^^justcash
Stop embarrassing yourself (you are more than that). Everyone know that one of the problem of Nigeria is maintenance culture. Apart of putting up that kpangolo achievement, GEJ can't even provide decent management.

Free the OP - perhaps his effort in bring those facts to us will make GEJ to try "Police College Visit 2.0".

After all what we have in Jonathan is a "Government of Reaction by the Committees"

12 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by Nobody: 9:55am On Jan 26, 2013
I'm so shocked that the "Eko oni ba je" cabal and HATERS are convulsing over the unsubstantiated allegation of the Op.

The transformation that had taken place in the rail transport sector in the last 2 to 3yrs is REAL and confirmed by NUMEROUS news reports, including the recent report below:

The NRC’s Public Relations Officer, North Western District, Sheriff Razaq, made this known in Minna on Wednesday.

“From the beginning of this year, our Mass Transit train makes between N500,000 and N550,000 per trip from Minna to Kaduna,’’ Mr.Razaq said.

He said the corporation charged N320 per passenger per trip, whileeach coach carried between 300 and 350 passengers.

He said 10 coaches were involved in each trip conveying between 3,000 and 5,000 passengers, depending on the patronage.

“The most important thing to note is that our passengers increase on daily basis to the extent that passengers now stand inside coaches,’’ Mr. Razaq said.

He said skeletal services on the route began in June 20, 2011 and about N40, 000 was realised during the trip.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/116884-nigeria-railway-generates-n500-000-per-trip-on-minna-kaduna-route.html

Also the post of other Nlanders (first to fifth page) who have also had experience with the revived trains contradicts the 21hrs SUPER STORY of the OP. Check out some of the posts:

1)Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by swalkphoe ( m ): 5:36am
@ op what happened on d way,d train can't spend 21hrs from ilorin to lagos,I spent 6.5hrs from ilorin to lagos in a first class coach,en it was a memorable experience.
( Quote ) ( Report ) ( Like )

2)Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by D-secret : 1:55am
sparko1: Hmm! The OP is not sayin d whole truth.Haba 21 hrs frm ilorin 2 lagos ? Ha ha jst because u want 2 create a sensational story.i know a frend dat take dat route (ilorin-lag) mostly on sundays & tuedays;and is usually btw 9-10 hrs journey.although he sed d 3rd class coach z alwayz crowded unlik d 1st class.

3) Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by toluxa1 ( m ): 1:17am
I travelled by train from Minna to Kaduna last year, late Dec, it was horrible. I enjoyed the ride because it was my first time but mehnnn, we really need orientation when it comes to our maintenance culture. The toilets are appalling. Spaces so crowded, etc. I learnt there is some sought of FIRST CLASS space from Lag to Kano, dont know how true it is. Learnt you'll have a kind of self contained. Hmm

4)Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by balogz ( m ): 10:49pm On Feb 07
......I got to their terminal at 11am and I guess d train got to osogbo frm ilorin arnd 12 or so and I entered outskirt of lagos arnd 6:30pm or so and I think I dropped of at the last terminal iddo arnd 7 or past 7pm and eventually I got home arnd past 8pmor more....too many stop overs...u guys need to try b4 u can comment..cheers

5)Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by balogz ( m ): 10:32pm On Feb 07
I shared similar faith last year when I joined train frm osogbo down to lagos,it wasn't a nice experience at all.the train was damned too congested and the toilet was unusable.took us eternity to get to lagos...dey really need to improve on it...its a no for me

6)Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by kulikuli26 : 10:34pm On Feb 07
Please let's learn to report things exactly how they are rather than reporting lies,I have travelled that route by rail before and despite the fact we had 2hrs delay on the road cos the train got spoilt, I eventually spent 10hrs and dats coupled with numerous stops in different stations and spending an average of 25mins at least, so u can imagine if the train had to travel straight to ilorin without waiting,guess we shdnt spend more than 6hrs onthe road.Moreso, let's start fromsomewhere, we might not be where we shd be as far as rail transport but we definitely can get there if this momentum in improved upon.
( Quote ) ( Report ) 3 Likes ( Like )

7) Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by Velounie ( f ): 10:39pm On Feb 07
Last tym ℓ̊ saw A̶̲̥̅ friend off at †ђξ train station at challenge in ilorin,it wasn't jam packed lyk dah.tho av neva travelled in it,friends hu av kip sayin its ÇƠ̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴̴͡Ŀ apart 4rm †ђξ 7-9hrs distnce buh 21hrs neva hrd of dah
( Quote ) ( Report ) 1 Like ( Like )

In conclusion, except the train developed some VERY SERIOUS faults on that faithful day, it would appear @OP is telling outright LIES or exaggeration of his experience. But the issue of train congestion on some routes and poor services is a common phenomenon not only in Nigeria. I hope the management of NRC will do well to ameliorate the situation.

11 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by Nobody: 10:25am On Jan 26, 2013
ANOTHER REPORT

FG Spends N24billion To Fix Lagos-Kano Railway

The Managing Director of the Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC),Mr Adeseyi Sijuwade, made this known in Kano on Sunday.

He said that 488 km Lagos-Jebba was rehabilitated at N12.1billion, while the 638 km Jebba-Kano costN12.2 billion.

He said that the projects were completed within the 2012 budget and commended President Goodluck Jonathan, for approving the request of the corporation.

Sijuwade told newsmen that the corporation was planning to introduce air-conditioned train system in 2013.

``By 2013 plan, there will be modern air-conditioned coaches on the track.

``There will be no cause for alarm security wise because the corporation will ensure the safety of lives and property of the passengers.

``We have just completed 30-hours journey from Lagos by rail down to Kano, passing all the major cities and state capitals between Lagos and Kano,’’ he said.

http://www.nanngronline.com/section/general/fg-spends-n243bn-on-rehabilitation-of-railway-track-md

5 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by Nobody: 10:33am On Jan 26, 2013
ANOTHER REPORT

On Inaugural Kano-Lagos Train Ride:

Tracks connecting the cities, 720 miles (1160 kilometers) apart, were first built in 1912. But neglect and corruption made about 70% of the tracks unusable as of early last year.

The railway is also China's first big project as it tries to make inroads in the West African nation. The China Civil Engineering Construction Corp. had the contract to rebuild the railway to the central city of Jebba.

The other leg of the railroad, from Jebba to Kano, was rebuilt by the Nigerian company, Costain West Africa PLC.

Trains offer affordable transportation for many in this oil-rich but impoverished nation. However, most long-distance passengers travel in piteous conditions.

A car of the inaugural Kano-bound train was packed, with people struggling for seating space and cool air.

"If not for poverty, I would have taken the bus," said Michael Olaoluwa Peters, a 36-year-old soccer player.

His trip to the southern city of Abeokuta would have cost him the equivalent of N621, but cost only N155 by train.

The price difference is even greater for those going all the way to Kano.

Anna Joda, 35, a petty trader, traveled with her four children, between ages 2 and 8, to spend the holidays with her in-laws in Kano while her husband stayed back in Lagos. She stood in the aisle, her toddler wrapped around her back while her three children shared two seats.

"I chose the train because I thought there'd be more leg room," she said.
The railway project hopes to alleviate the burden on Nigeria's poorly maintained road network.

However, much still needs to be done before the train becomes a preferred mode of transportation for those who can afford to travel by road or even air.

"Some people slept at the station last night and they still did not get a seat. The service is poor, very poor," said Peters as he held the car door for support after hearing a whistle signaling departure from Lagos.

http://m.naij.com/news/17788.html

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by ba7man(m): 10:35am On Jan 26, 2013
Hey c'mon, it can't immediately b all milk and honey immediately. Its a gradual process to perfection and with the right injection of funds and adequate manaagement, it will get better. The begining is always rough but it turns our right in the end if the right attitude and measures are applied.

6 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by Clerverly: 10:41am On Jan 26, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I'm so shocked the "Eko oni ba je" cabal and the HATERS are having orgasmmm over the unsubstantiated allegation of a notorious HATER.

The transformation that had taken place in the rail transport sector in the last 2 to 3yrs is REAL and confirmed by NUMEROUS news reports, including the recent report below:

The NRC’s Public Relations Officer, North Western District, Sheriff Razaq, made this known in Minna on Wednesday.

“From the beginning of this year, our Mass Transit train makes between N500,000 and N550,000 per trip from Minna to Kaduna,’’ Mr.Razaq said.

He said the corporation charged N320 per passenger per trip, whileeach coach carried between 300 and 350 passengers.

He said 10 coaches were involved in each trip conveying between 3,000 and 5,000 passengers, depending on the patronage.

“The most important thing to note is that our passengers increase on daily basis to the extent that passengers now stand inside coaches,’’ Mr. Razaq said.

He said skeletal services on the route began in June 20, 2011 and about N40, 000 was realised during the trip.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/116884-nigeria-railway-generates-n500-000-per-trip-on-minna-kaduna-route.html
Why not show us your own "Railway Transformation Pictures" to disprove them Some people really think through their anuus angry

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by chucky234(m): 11:04am On Jan 26, 2013
Justcash: All of you that are blaming GEJ for this one are very daft. He is refurbishing the rail system. Is it not the duty of the masses to guard and ensure that these infrastructures are operated efficiently? The people that are to blame for this rot are;
A. The masses that prefer to hang like monkeys on top of the coaches instead of sitting like decent people inside.
B. The inefficiency of the masses that got employed after these trains were brought back to life.
C. The illiterate masses that cannot just be patient on order for the coaches to be operated within its capacity.
D. The preference of the masses for short cuts even if it implies indulging in corrupt practices.
E. The chaotic orientation of the Nigerian masses.
F. The Spineless masses that cannot exercise their civic rights by demanding for orderly conduct through legal means.

Everything is not about the FG. You will just be surprised at the kind of criticism and antagonism that will come from the masses following any plan by the FG to restore order through coercion. Nonsense.
Another junk brain goon
you call that junk locomotive rail system in 2013,shame on you goon.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jan 26, 2013
Clerverly:
Why not show us your own "Railway Transformation Pictures" to disprove them Some people really think through their anuus angry
Your fellow HATER alleged that it took him/her 21hrs or was it 40 days and 40nights to commute from Ilorin to wherever by train. That is the cruz of the matter, not pictures.

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by otokx(m): 3:47pm On Jan 26, 2013
Not surprised, same way power has improved on pages of newspaper whereas we still burn petrol daily in our generators inside uniport.

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jan 26, 2013
ballabriggs:

Bros, how far now? grin grin grin

Haba why you expose oga Beaf,insincere9g,taharqa na.
Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by grafikii: 3:58pm On Jan 26, 2013
12hrs train ride to lagos from illorin and some monkeys here have been calling this transformation, pls how long does it take to travel from Madrid to London by rail .
redsun: For real? This is not the government problem now,it is the management. Average everyday nigerians behaves like wild animals and a situation like that can never encourage good leadership.

All have to be accountable and responsible for their actions,including the railway staffs and passengers.
Re: A Nairalander's Ilorin To Lagos Train Experience by grafikii: 3:59pm On Jan 26, 2013
If I hear anybody list this nonsense as an achievement again thunder go fire that person

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ebunola Martins: Tinubu Should Support The South-East For 2023 Presidency / (PICTURES) Nigerian Army Punishment / 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.