Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,998 members, 7,909,703 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 11:12 AM

Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. (52087 Views)

Photos Of The PDP Senators Who Walked Out Because Of Amaechi / Senators Who Accompanied Saraki To CCT Trial Today (photos) / Names Of Senators Who Accompanied Saraki To CCT Yesterday....... [29 In All] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by AbuMikey(m): 11:52pm On Jul 19, 2013
ighoosagie: Edo north re Muslim.
Odion Ugbesia na Esan man oo!

1 Like

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Forwetinnah: 11:53pm On Jul 19, 2013
Pelt them with rotten eggs wherever they show their perverted faces!!
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by dayokanu(m): 11:54pm On Jul 19, 2013
babyosisi:

It wasn't really an ACN vs them thing
It was more of a Muslim agenda

There are Moslem ACN senators and they did not vote in Support

Gbenga Ashafa, Ganiyu Solomon, Shefiu Adegbenga Kaka, etc are all Moslems but didnt vote to support this.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by 4Play(m): 11:56pm On Jul 19, 2013
I may have missed something here: S29(4) of the 1999 Nigerian constitution provides that for the purpose of renouncing citizenship, a woman who's married may be deemed to be of full age. This provision has been in force since the enactment of the '99 constitution and was not recently introduced.

What Yerima opposed was a proposal to delete the provision. The deletion attempt having failed, we are restored to the status quo. Nothing has changed so why the hysteria? I may be mistaken but Nigeria has marriage laws that prescribe the age for which one can get married. One has to be legally married, including meeting the statutory marital age, before S29(4) can be invoked. If there is no statutory marital age, the National Assembly can still pass one by a simple majority,the Yerima rejectionists are obviously outnumbered on this issue. Am I missing something here?
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Mintayo(m): 11:57pm On Jul 19, 2013
Freewilly: I REALLY FEEL SORRY FOR THE POOR TEENAGE GIRLS IN THE NORTH. I CAN ONLY PRAY THE GOOD LORD SAVE THEM FROM THOSE MONSTERS.!!!

it is only d gospel of christ that can free those innocent girls...i pray d light of d gospel spread to their heart...and deliver them from dis 'monsterious' demons!

3 Likes

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by deols(f): 11:59pm On Jul 19, 2013
dayokanu:

There are Moslem ACN senators and they did not vote in Support

Gbenga Ashafa, Ganiyu Solomon, Shefiu Adegbenga Kaka, etc are all Moslems but didnt vote to support this.

Thank you!

She is too much of a slow poke and bigotry has overclouded her brains.

Where were the senators representing the other regions. Where they not in session to vote against such an important law?

Isnt this the question to be asking. For all I know, people can demand whatever they want in a democracy. It is the price to pay.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Freewilly(f): 12:03am On Jul 20, 2013
Mintayo:

it is only d gospel of christ that can free those innocent girls...i pray d light of d gospel spread to their heart...and deliver them from dis 'monsterious' demons!

Amen to that my brother!!!

1 Like

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by patrick27: 12:04am On Jul 20, 2013
When you pour water and oil together, this is what you get...we have no reason to be together as a country.

Islamic Republic of Northgeria

And

United States of Biafra....and don't think Edo and Ondo will be included in this!

I can't wait to see a peaceful breakup as annoying as IRN indigenes will find it.....it will come to pass

2 Likes

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Mintayo(m): 12:16am On Jul 20, 2013
patrick27: When you pour water and oil together, this is what you get...we have no reason to be together as a country.

Islamic Republic of Northgeria

And

United States of Biafra....and don't think Edo and Ondo will be included in this!

I can't wait to see a peaceful breakup as annoying as IRN indigenes will find it.....it will come to pass

my dear,no breakup is peaceful=breakup comes with killings,hatred,rape,torture etc.
What we need in Nigeria is Jesus-d peace He brought,His life,His salvation=these are what we need-and until we come to d realization of this;i am afraid dis is just d begining...
God Help and bless Nigeria!
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by deols(f): 12:16am On Jul 20, 2013
The FG and NGOs need to do more in improving and encouraging education in Northern Nigeria. With that, the cases of teen marriage and not necessarily teen pregnancy(which actually should be the bigger concern), would reduce.

1 Like

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by IGBOSON1: 12:20am On Jul 20, 2013
Abbott: Excuse my ignorance, is it that they have legalised marriage to underage girls or they are still in the process of doing that?

^^^They're in the process of legalising it 'through the back door'. wink
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 12:24am On Jul 20, 2013
If that's their culture up North, I don't see why Southerners should be crying blue murder about the next people's way-of-life. You can't force your way-of-life on other people. Also, what's the legal age in Nigeria? Even as civilised as the UK is, the legal age is 16. At 16, you're already an adult - and you can get married in the UK.

Most Nigerians just post like re.tards without cross-checking facts. And to even believe some fools are comparing this to homosexuality - it's just sickening and beyond re.tarded, to be honest. Let people lead their lives how they want to, period.

However, that being said - I don't know how a grown ar.se man can marry a teenager and be happy, to be honest. undecided

1 Like

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by IGBOSON1: 12:27am On Jul 20, 2013
Joavid: sad embarassed so sad
can we protest against this??
this wickedness!
ah God! why am i a Nigerian??
we need more women in parliament to prevent those i.d.iots.

^^^'Protest' ke!?.....ain't gonna work!

Nobody will turn up since President Jonathan isn't the one arguing for it.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Katsumoto: 12:27am On Jul 20, 2013
deols:

The FG and NGOs need to do more in improving and encouraging education in Northern Nigeria. With that, the cases of teen marriage and not necessarily teen pregnancy(which actually should be the bigger concern), would reduce.

How can teenage pregnancy (which is usually done by girls older than 16 and who have consented to sex with someone closer to them in age) be worse than pre-teen and early teen marriage and sex ( which is usually SUFFERED by those not old enough to object). A girl who undergoes abortion is usually acting with free will, even if the action is frowned upon while early tean and pre teen girls don't consent, suffer VVF because their bodies are too young, and are divorced by the age of 18. Apart from moral/religious reasons, nothing wrong with abortion if it is done safely.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Katsumoto: 12:31am On Jul 20, 2013
ShyM-X:
If that's their culture up North, I don't see why Southerners should be crying blue murder about the next people's way-of-life. You can't force your way-of-life on other people. Also, what's the legal age in Nigeria? Even as civilised as the UK is, the legal age is 16. At 16, you're already an adult - and you can get married in the UK.

Most Nigerians just post like re.tards without cross-checking facts. And to even believe some fools are comparing this to homosexuality - it's just sickening and beyond re.tarded, to be honest. Let people lead their lives how they want to, period.

However, that being said - I don't know how a grown ar.se man can marry a teenager and be happy, to be honest. undecided

Its a much bigger issue than you have surmised. For one, many of those kids born to that culture become almajiris who in turn become societal problems. There is a big difference between a 16 yr old british girl sleeping with her 18/19 yr old boyfriend and a 12 yr old girl being raped by a 50 yr old beast.

3 Likes

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 12:40am On Jul 20, 2013
Katsumoto:
Its a much bigger issue than you have surmised. For one, many of those kids born to that culture become almajiris who in turn become societal problems. There is a big difference between a 16 yr old british girl sleeping with her 18/19 yr old boyfriend and a 12 yr old girl being raped by a 50 yr old beast.

I agree with you.

However, I have a read little bit about the Hausa/Fulani culture and I believe girls are married off at a young age. But, sex isn't allowed until they're legal. Also, they can broaden the law, to include that in the bill, and that if anything should happen before the girl is legal - then the culprit would be charged for statutory rape. And also, the sex has to be consensual.

By doing so, the two parties involved would be happy without one taking advantage of the other.

Personally, I just don't believe in disrupting people's culture(s) just to satisfy myopic and linear minds. Some people always want to disagree with everything based on Christianity - however they don't know that mormons are also Christians and things like this, including polygamy, is part of the mormon doctrine.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 12:41am On Jul 20, 2013
ShyM-X:

Currently, the legal age of marriage in Nigeria (court marriage) is 18. I believe the anger is about the possibility of 13 or 12 year old girls being married off to grown men.

1 Like

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 12:43am On Jul 20, 2013
CFCfan:

Currently, the legal age of marriage in Nigeria (court marriage) is 18. I believe the anger is about the possibility of 13 or 12 year old girls being married off to a grown men.

If the bolded is part of their culture - then let them be. However, Nigeria also need to uphold its laws and make sure there's no sex involved, till the girl is of legal age.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 12:46am On Jul 20, 2013
ShyM-X:

If the bolded is part of their culture - then let them be. However, Nigeria also need to uphold its laws and make sure there's no sex involved, till the girl is of legal age.

That's where the problem lies; the Nigerian Senate is seeking to make such a law as part of the federal statutes. The National Assembly has no business in making laws that cater to one particular religion.

1 Like

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by babsomotde(m): 12:48am On Jul 20, 2013
I hope and pray that such is done to their children at tender ages. Mad Human Beings... Are these ones real leaders or religion mafians? Rubbish.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 12:48am On Jul 20, 2013
Also, I'm not muslim but when will an African Christian come out and denounce pedophilic catholic priests all over the continent who're ra.ping little black boys in the ar.se? undecided undecided
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 12:48am On Jul 20, 2013
delors: A bunch of pedo'phi.les! old fools defying underage now have a legal backing! Unbelievable! This is what we get when mediocres are elected (or rigged in) as leaders...Shame on the Edo man n his Ondo counterpart...disgusting pedo'phi.les
Dude the edo I know has Muslim in some part like Auchi n ondo has Muslim too. So they are following the king of child molester: there book
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 12:50am On Jul 20, 2013
CFCfan:
That's where the problem lies; the Nigerian Senate is seeking to make such a law as part of the federal statutes. The National Assembly has no business in making laws that cater to one particular religion.

Hence, why Nigeria needs to be restructured to allow the different entities in the country the freedom to practise what they believe in. You can't deny people their way-of-life just to make other people happy - that's a no no.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Katsumoto: 12:51am On Jul 20, 2013
ShyM-X:

I agree with you.

However, I have a read little bit about the Hausa/Fulani culture and I believe girls are married off at a young age. But, sex isn't allowed until they're legal. Also, they can broaden the law, to include that in the bill, and that if anything should happen before the girl is legal - then the culprit would be charged for statutory rape. And also, the sex has to be consensual.

By doing so, the two parties involved would be happy without one taking advantage of the other.

Personally, I just don't believe in disrupting people's culture(s) just to satisfy myopic and linear minds. Some people always want to disagree with everything based on Christianity - however they don't know that mormons are also Christians and things like this, including polygamy, is part of the mormon doctrine.

If the culture favours some while others have to suffer, then it is the moral duty of society to challenge such practices. Try and read up about VVF. Why does a 50 year paedophile want to marry a ten year old if he isnt going to rape her? If they aren't slepping with these 12 year olds, then VVF wouldn't be so predominant in the North.

Marriage and sex should be always be about consent regardless of whether the consent is based on love, animal attraction, materialism, etc. Girls who are too young for marriage and sex should be protected by society.

2 Likes

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Katsumoto: 12:53am On Jul 20, 2013
ShyM-X:
Also, I'm not muslim but when will an African Christian come out and denounce pedophilic catholic priests all over the continent who're ra.ping little black boys in the ar.se? undecided undecided

That is a wrong example
1. No one is publicly condoning what the bad priests do
2. Not all priests are paedophiles.

2 Likes

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 12:56am On Jul 20, 2013
Abujabir24: Nairalanders or should I say Nigerians. I don't you people's problem. please tell me which do you prefer? a girl between 13 and 18 constantly committing fornication with countless men, throwing away her dignity or that same girl getting married to just one man keeping her dignity? some of you here would love to sleep with underage girls courtesy of the sex threads by our corners or those who have served already. It's better for a girl to get married at an early age than her to get deflowered by some bunch of bastards.

U dead as confuse... If I were a muslim I force not marry ur daughter at age 7 as ur prophet.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 1:02am On Jul 20, 2013
ShyM-X:

Look at them.....
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 1:02am On Jul 20, 2013
Katsumoto:
If the culture favours some while others have to suffer, then it is the moral duty of society to challenge such practices. Try and read up about VVF. Why does a 50 year paedophile want to marry a ten year old if he isnt going to rape her? If they aren't slepping with these 12 year olds, then VVF wouldn't be so predominant in the North.

Marriage and sex should be always be about consent regardless of whether the consent is based on love, animal attraction, materialism, etc. Girls who are too young for marriage and sex should be protected by society.

The society also has a role by making sure the laws of the land are upheld, without negating/destroy the way of life of its people. That's when control/supervision/governing has to come into play. I believe this practice has been part of their culture for a long time and you can't just stop what has become part and parcel of their everyday life. Just as you can't tell Europeans to stop being homosexuals, which has also been part of the European culture since ancient Greece.

Nigeria has a big role to play in this by making sure the sex is consensual and it happens at a legal age.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Nobody: 1:05am On Jul 20, 2013
Katsumoto:

That is a wrong example
1. No one is publicly condoning what the bad priests do
2. Not all priests are paedophiles.

However, how many black Christians have come out to denounce this savagely act? How many of them have questioned their priests and their pedophilic culture, which is part of the Roman Catholic doctrine? Even the pope condones it.
Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by Katsumoto: 1:07am On Jul 20, 2013
ShyM-X:

The society also has a role by making sure the laws of the land are upheld, without negating/destroy the way of life of its people. That's when control/supervision/governing has to come into play. I believe this practice has been part of their culture for a long time and you can't just stop what has become part and parcel of their everyday life. Just as you can't tell Europeans to stop being homosexuals, which has also been part of the European culture since ancient Greece.

Nigeria has a big role to play in this by making sure the sex is consensual and it happens at a legal age.

You are using the wrong examples. There may be homosexuals in Europe but they CONSENT - i.e their choice. You have to look at this issue from the point of view of the victims and not from the point of view of perpetrators. Please research VVF Shymexx.

1 Like

Re: Senators Who Voted To Legalise Underage Marriage. by TruthTella(m): 1:07am On Jul 20, 2013
deols:

Thank you!

She is too much of a slow poke and bigotry has overclouded her brains.

Where were the senators representing the other regions. Where they not in session to vote against such an important law?

Isnt this the question to be asking. For all I know, people can demand whatever they want in a democracy. It is the price to pay.

Look hia missis, the truth of the matter is that no matter how much you people deny it or bury your heads in the sand, ISLAM ENCOURAGES CHILD MARRIAGE!
At least your prophet married a 6 year old and slept with her at age 9 so that should prove beyond all doubt that it is an Islamic thing.
Lol religion of pedophylia and forced married.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply)

Atiku To Tinubu: I Challenge You To Sit For A 1-Hour Interview / Buratai's Son Weds Today In Yobe (photos) / Unclad APC Supporters Sparks Anger(pics)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.