Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,993 members, 7,976,753 topics. Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2024 at 12:44 PM

All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 - Education (59) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 (204351 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Meaning Of Some Words In Hon. Patrick's Speech On ASUU Strike / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by ugonna1054(m): 5:34pm On Nov 28, 2013
Jonathan gives ASUU 1 week ultimatum to call off strike
Source
http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-gives-ASUU-one-week-ultimatum-to-call-off-strike/
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Nobody: 5:41pm On Nov 28, 2013
Bow out when the ovation is high.....Abeg make we contribute sense for ASUU!

1 Like

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by olalekan1(m): 5:42pm On Nov 28, 2013
What else do we expect ASUU to say before. I trust them, FG action wil move ASUU to schedule a meeting with FG on or before 4th of December, that is when they wl call off.

1 Like

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Harrisonn(m): 5:48pm On Nov 28, 2013
Home » News Update » FG’s directive, an empty threat – ASUU
FG’s directive, an empty threat – ASUU

Posted by: Oseheye Okwuofu, Ibadan in News Update 5 mins ago

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) on Thursday described the threat by the federal government to sack lecturers if they don’t return to classroom as empty threat that could not hold water.

The union said it is vindicated that the Federal government was not ready to implement resolutions reached with the union.

ASUU said the threat will fail, adding that Nigerian public universities need 60,000 lecturers due to government’s failure to employ more capable hands into the system.

The union said federal government is wasting the time of Nigerians youths by failing to perfect the resolutions and get the strike suspended.

The union added it had reasons to be wary following the failure of government to honour their promises to Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics, resident doctors and other health workers who have suspended their strikes.

The ASUU National Treasurer, Dr. Ademola Aremu, while responding to the government’s directive, said the threat does not hold water as it has confirmed the fears that the federal government cannot be trusted.

The don said, “With the latest action, the federal government has shown that they are not committed to all they have been saying. We are saying that since we agreed at the meeting that the sum of 200 billion naira is for 2012 and 2013 revitalisation, the federal government should deposit same in the Central Bank of Nigerian. We are already in November and December is around the corner. If they don’t do that now, when do they want to do it? We are saying the non-victimization clause should be included as agreed while the renegotiation of the 2009 agreement should be included as agreed with the presidents”.

“It is a pity if the federal government is not willing to perfect the resolutions reached with union. This is why we find it difficult to trust our leaders by their words. How can someone be threatening to sack lecturers when universities are already short-staffed by almost 60,000. We are not in military era. The military tried it and failed. This one will fail again. They can re-open the school. ASUU did not shut down the universities. It was the management of the schools that ordered the students to go back home.”
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/fgs-directive-empty-threat-ASUU/
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by otokx(m): 5:51pm On Nov 28, 2013
I Love ASUUs response; FG should have made it 24 hours ultimatum or better still proscribe ASUU. Petrol has just been added to smouldering firewood but GEJ can calm the situation.

1 Like

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by RaphaelCollinsidemudiaya(m): 5:58pm On Nov 28, 2013
IBADAN – The Academic Staff Union of
Universities (ASUU) has said the threat
by the Federal Government to sack
university lecturers would not only fail
but also worsen the situation and
“another long path to make the strike linger more than necessary.” With the threat, ASUU said it was
evident now that the Federal
government was not ready to
implement any resolutions it reached
with the union. “It is a pity if the federal government is
not willing to perfect the resolutions
reached with union. This is why we
find it difficult to trust our leaders by
their words. How can someone be
threatening to sack lecturers when universities are already short-staffed
by almost 60,000. We are not in
Military era. The Military tried it and
failed. This one will fail again.” ASUU
said. More details later…source. Vanguard
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Nobody: 6:04pm On Nov 28, 2013
This ASUU VS FG movie is the greatest
movie i have ever seen. The suspence,
the intrigues, the action, good and bad
days. This film don long pass katharina.
Na d 5th month we dey. You can never
tell when it will end. Even TBJ nor know.
Abeg who get big screen t.v? I nor fit
dey see oga Jonah head nd cap well.
Fagae's leg looks too small. My t.v na 14
inches. I really need to watch this movie
in HD.
ASUU VS FG- Greatest movie ever seeth.
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by otokx(m): 6:06pm On Nov 28, 2013
Mamuzo ADUMS: This ASUU VS FG movie is the greatest
movie i have ever seen. The suspence,
the intrigues, the action, good and bad
days. This film don long pass katharina.
Na d 5th month we dey. You can never
tell when it will end. Even TBJ nor know.
Abeg who get big screen t.v? I nor fit
dey see oga Jonah head nd cap well.
Fagae's leg looks too small. My t.v na 14
inches. I really need to watch this movie
in HD.

ASUU VS FG- Greatest movie ever seeth.

its a grammy award winner
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by smithutomi: 6:13pm On Nov 28, 2013
Cant wait to sii wat will happen by dec 4th. Whose gonna blink first. grin
RaphaelCollinsidemudia@ya:
IBADAN – The Academic Staff Union of
Universities (ASUU) has said the threat
by the Federal Government to sack
university lecturers would not only fail
but also worsen the situation and
“another long path to make the strike linger more than necessary.” With the threat, ASUU said it was
evident now that the Federal
government was not ready to
implement any resolutions it reached
with the union. “It is a pity if the federal government is
not willing to perfect the resolutions
reached with union. This is why we
find it difficult to trust our leaders by
their words. How can someone be
threatening to sack lecturers when universities are already short-staffed
by almost 60,000. We are not in
Military era. The Military tried it and
failed. This one will fail again.” ASUU
said. More details later…source. Vanguard
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by complete1(m): 6:19pm On Nov 28, 2013
It has just come to our notice dat there will b a meeting between both FG and ASUU either 2moro or monday.
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by alcuin(m): 6:29pm On Nov 28, 2013
What a suspense filled movie. I can't wait for December 4th, the doomsday.

ASUU should swallow their pride and do, as Nairalanders would say, the NEEDFUL.
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Nobody: 6:30pm On Nov 28, 2013
www.facebook.com/agapevibes get all your latest news and free browsing cheat here.
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by westsyde92: 6:31pm On Nov 28, 2013
complete1: It has just come to our notice dat there will b a meeting between both FG and ASUU either 2moro or monday.
bro are yhu sure abt dis info
anyway thanks tho
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by alcuin(m): 6:33pm On Nov 28, 2013
complete1: It has just come to our notice dat there will b a meeting between both FG and ASUU either 2moro or monday.

See, no more meetings. Let them prepared themselves for the showdown on December 4th.

ASUU don too show themselves, FG need to cut them to size.

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by lizzy22(f): 6:46pm On Nov 28, 2013
Cnt jez w8 4 dis strike 2 be over...
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Samgreguc(m): 6:50pm On Nov 28, 2013
ZackiGp: When Tb joshua said the other day that it is the will of God for our universities to be re-opened, many tot ASUU wil call off the strike but they didn't. you all can now see the fulfilment of dat prophecy. The thing is ASUU can not stand against the will of God. (ask Iyayi if you see am)

https://www.nairaland.com/1527866/ASUU-late-prof-festus-iyayi
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Nobody: 6:52pm On Nov 28, 2013
Sermwell: sharrraaap!!!
mind ur language dude
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Akinlekanwr(m): 6:55pm On Nov 28, 2013
I'm afraid this ultimatum of a thing will just worsen situation of things. And who else will be at the receiving end of any flaws if not the students. We shouldn't rejoice over this new development, we should rather pray for an amicable settlement of all issues prolonging this strike
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by timisnup(m): 6:57pm On Nov 28, 2013
Really?
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by otokx(m): 6:58pm On Nov 28, 2013

keep us posted
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by temitope23(m): 6:59pm On Nov 28, 2013
See kettle calling pot black He also came up with a topic on nairaland once saying the same thing this guy just siad that I had to tell him to get a life and he has the gut to say He would have attack him. Mtcheew
https://www.nairaland.com/1495782/opinion-nigerian-ASUU-leadership#19166595

engrfcuksmtin: Before now I would have attacked you as a sympathizer of ASUU and somebody in the system, but with the current development your assertions is not far from the truth. Ranks within the ASUU are suppose to review this strike and put an end to it. Everybody is aware that GEJ held meeting with ASUU and had an agreement with him. Being the first time a sitting president will make such move, they would have respect the office and to call of the strike. Then if at the long run the president did not keep to his promises they can cry out, give 30days ultimate with massive public awareness then go on strike with the backing of the sympathy of most Nigerians. THE FACT IS THAT ASUU CAN NOT FIGHT THE ISSUE OF ADEQUATE FUNDING OF THE EDUCATION SECTOR ALONE AND WIN. It will take the the combined efforts of all stake holders in the education sector: NUT, ASUP, ASUU, NANS, PTA, SANU, NASU Nadal every other unions related to education at all levels. ASUU should just make do with whatever they have been able to get from the strike I.e earned allowances.
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by yetunsbay(m): 7:01pm On Nov 28, 2013
otokx:

keep us posted
seconded
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Ptoocool(m): 7:02pm On Nov 28, 2013
FG Gives ASUU 1 Week Ultimatum To Call Off Strike

Today the Federal Government gave the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), one week ultimatum to call off the lingering lecturers' strike.

The acting Minister of Education, Nyesom Wike, stated this while briefing journalists in Abuja.

It was gathered that the government has also ordered Vice Chancellors of Universities to declare the jobs of the striking lecturers vacant as from Wednesday, December 4.

Wike called the ongoing varsity teachers' strike as "act of sabotage."

"The continuation of the strike despite several meetings, especially with President Goodluck Jonathan is an attempt by the union to sabotage all efforts by government to address the issue," he said.

The minister disclosed that government has met all its commitments and obligations with respect to the agreement.

According to his words, government took the decision to reopen the universities following ASUU's new conditions which are "not tenable. "

His words:

"On November 4, 2013 President Goodluck Jonathan met with ASUU executive, labour union leaders from the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC), where all the issues were resolved and firm commitments made to address the lingering crisis. "It is noteworthy that Mr. President's gesture was more than sufficient to guarantee the commitment of government to address all issues raised at the meeting with Mr. President.

"At the end of the meeting, the ASUU team promised to convene a meeting of its National Executive Committee to present the resolutions reached and report back by Friday November 8, 2013. It is unfortunate that while travelling to attend the NEC meeting in Kano, we lost a key member and former President of the union, Prof. Festus Iyayi.

"Government sympathizes with the family of the late Iyayi and ASUU. It is however amazing that three weeks after the meeting with Mr. President, ASUU responded by giving new conditions for suspending the five month old strike. I have never seen anywhere in any country where you sit down with Mr. President.

"That is the highest level of discussion. If you cannot believe Mr. President then who else will you believe?"

"Any academic staff who fails to resume on or before the 4th of December, 2013 automatically ceases to be a staff of the institution

"Vice-Chancellors are also directed to advertise vacancies (internal and external) in their institutions.

"The National Universities Commission is hereby directed to monitor the compliance of these directives by the various institutions.

"The Federal Government has met all its Commitment and obligations with respect to the FG/ASUU 2009 Agreement. We appeal to all stakeholders to appreciate the position of Government which is in the best interest of our dear country."

@pitarzjerry
http://m.naij.com/news/53131.html
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Emmy9ite(m): 7:04pm On Nov 28, 2013
Wike is behind all this! He thinks he is fighting Amechi! The guy started all this on thursday..I don't see any fresh demand from ASUU. This is not going to end well.

1 Like

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Ollybarbie219(f): 7:31pm On Nov 28, 2013
screenagerjoe: i saw u viewing, so i dcided to say HI o.
lol okay...Hiii watsup?
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by papilee77wing(m): 7:32pm On Nov 28, 2013
Uniabuja to resume on dec 1
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by eluquenson(m): 7:36pm On Nov 28, 2013
This is military system by a civilian. So you want to force them back to the class. If not you sack them? You always sacking Sir,but remember the whole Nigeria will sack you onedey. You claimed to be an ex-lecturer. I wonder what type you were. You are finally showing your true colors and feeding us with violent fresh air. This is Tyranny.

As for ASUU aluta continua. Lets see if he is bluffing. He can't take care of needs of local lecturers,lets see if he can take care of foreign ones.

I miss Lt. Yar'adua. He was a great leader. May God forgive him

1 Like

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Quinnlee: 7:42pm On Nov 28, 2013
Hahahaha....i lyk nairaland because ppl's coments make me hapi......

1 Like

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Olril18(m): 7:48pm On Nov 28, 2013
eluquenson: This is military system by a civilian. So you want to force them back to the class. If not you sack them? You always sacking Sir,but remember the whole Nigeria will sack you onedey. You claimed to be an ex-lecturer. I wonder what type you were. You are finally showing your true colors and feeding us with violent fresh air. This is Tyranny.

As for ASUU aluta continua. Lets see if he is bluffing. He can't take care of needs of local lecturers,lets see if he can take care of foreign ones.

you are a fool..even a mad man should know ASUU has lost their objectives for this strike...keeping students at home in the name of fighting for them is the joke of the century!

7 Likes

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by PatEinstEin(m): 7:50pm On Nov 28, 2013
eluquenson: This is military system by a civilian. So you want to force them back to the class. If not you sack them? You always sacking Sir,but remember the whole Nigeria will sack you onedey. You claimed to be an ex-lecturer. I wonder what type you were. You are finally showing your true colors and feeding us with violent fresh air. This is Tyranny.

U sound like a lecturer undecided cry

1 Like

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Nobody: 7:54pm On Nov 28, 2013
am goood. So Wen r u cming back 2 school??
Olly barbie219: lol okay...Hiii watsup?
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Nobody: 8:00pm On Nov 28, 2013

Wu iz this asshol*.....idiot! feel like planking u....

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (109) (Reply)

LAUTECH 2014/2015 Admission Thread / Kogi State University, Anyigba 2012/2013, Admission Update / Nnamdi Azikiwe University Unizik 2015 - 2016 Final And Last Admission List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.