Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,465 members, 7,947,876 topics. Date: Friday, 13 September 2024 at 10:12 AM

Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. (9672 Views)

Nairaland Fantasy Premier League 2013/2014 / The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria / Chelsea In Pursuit Of Premier League Championship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by cutemoses(m): 9:35pm On Aug 19, 2009
Speechless, speechless, that's how Man U make me feel, when they lose to such a team. Fking wrong line-up. chic2pimp, how do i send the 20% of my anger to u now lol
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by mrofficial(m): 3:16am On Aug 20, 2009
The bagas are completely out of their minds! How much do the viewing centres make in a month that they are now enforcing a fee of 20k monthly? Have you ever told PHCN that you will no longer pay for bill because they don't supply you electricity to show the game? What will you call that? Besides, most of the viewing centres are not even lucrative at all. This is Naija! Anything can happen.
Tufia, if they are in need of money, the should look elsewhere, or else them go mugu demselves
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by biina: 4:38am On Aug 20, 2009
Commercial centers should pay more than the regular fee, but the extra charge should be based on estimated viewing capacity, with about 2x the base residential price for the first 50-100 viewers and a 25% increase for each additional 50. e.g. A place with a capacity of 200 should pay about 2.5x of the base price, while a place with a capacity of 500 would pay about 4x the price.

The fact that they are using it for commercial purposes means that they have become indirect competitors to the broadcaster and they should pay more than the average home, else we would have entire estates subscribing to one account and denying the company genuine customers. Yet the company should not go to the extreme of charging almost 4x the base residential price.
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by DoubleN(m): 7:10am On Aug 20, 2009
What will they use the money they want the commercial centers to pay them for?I think it's just greed and nothing else.HITV acquired the EPL,Spanish la Liga and Champions League rights without even thinking of getting quality equipment.Yesterday i was watching the MAN U Game on HI-Sports 2 and i was very angry.For 15mins out of the 90 mins we were looking at a blank screen!
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by otokx(m): 7:23am On Aug 20, 2009
no be small black screen.
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by sirwebs(m): 7:38am On Aug 20, 2009
Guys football is our life o. This HiTv wan spoil am. Can't we start a petition or what?
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by tkb417(m): 8:03am On Aug 20, 2009
na free den buy the rights?
u want to watch football for N50?

na N50 dem buy d rights?

na by force? person wey get somethn say make you pay b4 using his product to make money ure making mouth
some of you pay to park vehicles and even urinate, now to pay to make money una dey provoke

na prison una go go grin grin

na capitalism be this, if you no want, throw away their decoder and use another thing. na by force?
see beggar dictating terms of conditions for sellers!! orisirisi
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by sirwebs(m): 8:15am On Aug 20, 2009
Tkb41(7), abi u neva hear of consumer rights? I'm serious abt this petition thing.
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by temmytanny(m): 8:20am On Aug 20, 2009
its not only HITV that is owing banks money and they know the terrain they are when they first ventured into this business.

how can a view center pay 20k for single viewing when dstv has 11k for dual wit better and more channels.
does it mean if a viewingcenter wants to view 2,3 matches at onces ,they have to pay 40 to 60k per month?how much are these people really making?

those making money are the ones using NILE SAT(aljazeera and show time)cos they show as many as 4-6 matches at once and they pay just 130 yearly subscriptionand people love to watch 2,3 matches at once.
its only husslers dat stil use HITV cos they cant afford the over 230k starting capital of NILESAT.

HITV shouldnt try it cos they would lose more customers tru such act.viewing center have generated lots of employment

i believe those supporting HITV dont have their decoder at home.i have one and the only channel i watch is the HI SOCCER,sky news,NIGEZIE and discovery.others are ZERO

HITV couldnt even show us a single pre season friendly and even nigeria wordcup qualifier and they are collecting 6k per month.

its a BIG SHAME on them on the so called proudly nigerian DTH channel.
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by tkb417(m): 8:24am On Aug 20, 2009
sirwebs:

Tkb41(7), abi u neva hear of consumer rights? I'm serious abt this petition thing.
haha
human rights?
its more like the offender will go to jail for beaming the products live to people without taking permission

ur petition will afford some people the opportunity to visit the jail
haha
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by tkb417(m): 8:26am On Aug 20, 2009
temmytanny:

its not only HITV that is owing banks money and they know the terrain they are when they first ventured into this business.

how can a view center pay 20k for single viewing when dstv has 11k for dual wit better and more channels.
does it mean if a viewingcenter wants to view 2,3 matches at onces ,they have to pay 40 to 60k per month?how much are these people really making?

those making money are the ones using NILE SAT(aljazeera and show time)cos they show as many as 4-6 matches at once and they pay just 130 yearly subscriptionand people love to watch 2,3 matches at once.
its only husslers dat stil use HITV cos they cant afford the over 230k starting capital of NILESAT.

HITV shouldnt try it cos they would lose more customers tru such act.viewing center have generated lots of employment

i believe those supporting HITV dont have their decoder at home.i have one and the only channel i watch is the HI SOCCER,sky news,NIGEZIE and discovery.others are ZERO

HITV couldnt even show us a single pre season friendly and even nigeria wordcup qualifier and they are collecting 6k per month.

its a BIG SHAME on them on the so called proudly nigerian DTH channel.

oh yeah, we dont have decoder at home
we have it on the tree
haha

dont use HItv again if youre not pleased with the product
abi na by force

hehehe
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by temmytanny(m): 8:27am On Aug 20, 2009
tkb417:

na free den buy the rights?
u want to watch football for N50?

na N50 dem buy d rights?

na by force? person wey get somethn say make you pay b4 using his product to make money ure making mouth
some of you pay to park vehicles and even urinate, now to pay to make money una dey provoke

na prison una go go grin grin

na capitalism be this, if you no want, throw away their decoder and use another thing. na by force?
see beggar dictating terms of conditions for sellers!! orisirisi

its shows you are an agent or worker of HITV and u cant the battle here.

many viewing centers can do away with HITV and some viewing center have started that already by purchasing NILESAT.so lets see who go lose
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by tkb417(m): 8:37am On Aug 20, 2009
temmytanny:

its shows you are an agent or worker of HITV and u cant the battle here.

many viewing centers can do away with HITV and some viewing center have started that already by purchasing NILESAT.so lets see who go lose
this shows ure a viewing center operator
sowing where you do not reap. . . better desist from ur nefarious and illegal acivities b4 the law catches up with you

like i advised, use ur NILESAT or pandasat or anythn but dont use Hitv if u cant pay

no be me talk am, na dem talk am
leave where i dey work. no be the topic of discussion be dt
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by temmytanny(m): 8:40am On Aug 20, 2009
i have known HITV before you know them.i have two ex school mates working for them here in VI and i was the first to inform viewing centers in my area when HITV won the EPL right in nov 2006.many dint believe me cos they believed nobody could take away such right from DSTV.i have been promoting and encouragin people to buy HITV even before i bought mine.

the first thing i expected them to talk about when they won the UCL many months back was how to introduce dual decorders.this would have generated alot of income for them since they would show UCL,EPL,la liga, etc but reverse is the case.

i doubt if they know anything about marketing and how to win customers

FYI,i only turned my back on them wen i first saw the advertorial 2months ago about invading the viewing centers.

i can tell you how HITV won the right and why they are in serious need of money now.so dont tell me HITV history OK?
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by kidsam: 8:41am On Aug 20, 2009
so tell us and don't leave us in the dark
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by kidsam: 8:45am On Aug 20, 2009
My major concern in all these is that, the police have been given the opportunity to harass viewing center owners regardless of whether they are using Hitv or not
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by tkb417(m): 8:49am On Aug 20, 2009
temmytanny:

i have known HITV before you know them.i have two ex school mates working for them here in VI and i was the first to inform viewing centers in my area when HITV won the EPL right in nov 2006.many dint believe me cos they believed nobody could take away such right from DSTV.i have been promoting and encouragin people to buy HITV even before i bought mine.

the first thing i expected them to talk about when they won the UCL many months back was how to introduce dual decorders.this would have generated alot of income for them since they would show UCL,EPL,la liga, etc but reverse is the case.

i doubt if they know anything about marketing and how to win customers

FYI,i only turned my back on them wen i first saw the advertorial 2months ago about invading the viewing centers.

i can tell you how HITV won the right and why they are in serious need of money now.so dont tell me HITV history OK?

first thing, dont be in a haste to say rubbish. you dont know me. ok?

second thing, we are not debating if they need money, if they dont know how to market or win customers.  .  .   .
pay up or leave the damn thing!!!

its so so simple
do you argue with Benz for the high cost of obtaining one or you just go to a closer substitute or anyone that can serve the purpose
if the pricing is prohibitive, leave the thing and get another one that can put smile on ur face

stop telling me who owns Hitv. as a matter of fact, i dont give a single toss of a hammer if you know the CEO

kidsam:

My major concern in all these is that, the police have been given the opportunity to harass viewing center owners regardless of whether they are using Hitv or not
thank you my brother
the Police will feed fat on you if you dont pay up.
Pay now or pay the police and Hitv
haha
double jeopardy

hehehe
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by temmytanny(m): 8:51am On Aug 20, 2009
kidsam:

so tell us and don't leave us in the dark

thanks my brother,

HITV, paying it debt is not the main issue here.

the next bidding for EPL is in NOV 09 and DSTV is planing to wrestle the right from them again(nigerian 80% right).
not only that,HITV is forming an alliance with other DTH platforms in other countries in Africa to win the EPL right from DSTV(dstv bought the right from GTV when they went bankrupt last year)in sub saharan and east africa (except SA).
these required lots of money and they(HITV)inniated the alliance.

dont be surprise if EPL annouce that they made extra millions of pounds on TV rights nextyear.
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by temmytanny(m): 8:53am On Aug 20, 2009
dont wanna join issues with you man, i get work to do
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by FBS: 8:55am On Aug 20, 2009
1. How much do these VCs make in a month?
2. How was this 20k sum arrived at?
3. Major factors like electricity, enforcement of this "rule" etc should be factored in by HiTV
4. How large is their customer base?
5. Does DSTV charge extra from VCs?

One thing for sure though, is that they MUST pay more than a regular home user.
My 0.2 kobo.  wink
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by tkb417(m): 9:00am On Aug 20, 2009
temmytanny:

thanks my brother,

HITV, paying it debt is not the main issue here.

the next bidding for EPL is in NOV 09 and DSTV is planing to wrestle the right from them again(nigerian 80% right).
not only that,HITV is forming an alliance with other DTH platforms in other countries in Africa to win the EPL right from DSTV(dstv bought the right from GTV when they went bankrupt last year)in sub saharan and east africa (except SA).
these required lots of money and they(HITV)inniated the alliance.

dont be surprise if EPL annouce that they made extra millions of pounds on TV rights nextyear.
this doesnt tell us why you dont wanna pay

FBS:

3. Major factors like electricity, enforcement of this "rule" etc should be factored in by HiTV
3. How large is their customer base?

My 0.2 kobo. wink
if you did economics or you bizniz, you will know Hitv shouldnt base their pricing on how much margin he expects the re-seller to make from it.
They will look at their own cost and other SGAs , OPEX and other allied costs to arrive a t a competitive pricing

what the resellers will do is to go back and change thier own pricing based on the new costs involved in the acquisition and the maintenance of the biz

Hitv is not liable for ur own costs
how hard is this?
na wa
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by temmytanny(m): 9:01am On Aug 20, 2009
FBS:

4. How large is their customer base?
5. Did DSTV charge extra from VCs?

My 0.2 kobo.  wink

you are right but a single subscription for 20k is much.HITV should bring in DUAL first before enforcing such laws
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by temmytanny(m): 9:06am On Aug 20, 2009
like i said,am not joining issues with you.
i suspended my subscription in june after the US GOLD CUP cos they had no other important programs to show us.i just paid for this month subscription on 12th AUG but stil watch most of matches at viewing cos HITV cant show me DUAL
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by FBS: 9:15am On Aug 20, 2009
tkb417:

if you did economics or you bizniz, you will know Hitv shouldnt base their pricing on how much margin he expects the re-seller to make from it.
They will look at their own cost and other SGAs , OPEX and other allied costs to arrive a t a competitive pricing

what the resellers will do is to go back and change thier own pricing based on the new costs involved in the acquisition and the maintenance of the biz

Hitv is not liable for your own costs
how hard is this?
na wa
Boy, fear catch me o?  grin
This shows that you NEVER studied ecomomics.
There is demand and supply? If the demand is not there or low  due to high price what do you think will happen?
People will either switch to other options or try to look for ways of NOT paying. Either way, it is HiTV that will end up with zero profit.
Before you place your goods on the market YOU MUST certainly factor in how much the consumer will pay.

What is hard for you to understand abi na the defeat of yesterday dey worry you and you obviously missed this

FYI, I've never used either and was only expressing my view.
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by tkb417(m): 9:25am On Aug 20, 2009
FBS:

Boy, fear catch me o? grin
This shows that you NEVER studied ecomomics.
There is demand and supply? If the demand is not there or low due to high price what do you think will happen?
People will either switch to other options or try to look for ways of NOT paying. Either way, it is HiTV that will end up with zero profit.
Before you place your goods on the market YOU MUST certainly factor in how much the consumer will pay.

What is hard for you to understand abi na the defeat of yesterday dey worry you?

FYI, I've never used either and was only expressing my view.
haha
got a prize for studying econs in the UNI grin grin

you surely know about the law of demand and supply but not how to apply it. . .
the active subscribers on Hitv is about 300,000. This means those subscribing monthly

there are those who pay this month and wont pay for 2 months, the category of these group gives about 250,000 and we have those who can afford to pay but are on another platform= roughly 500,000 people

in defining the potential mkts, i can safely say anybody that earns more than a 100,000 per month can afford to pay Hitv subscription per month( its just an assumption) andif we look at these sets of people, they are more than 10million in Nigeria

what does that tell you Mr FBS? that the potential demand is about 10million while the real demand is just about 400k average!!

its simple, the potential demand is there for Hitv to tap into

and when you talk of switching, you only switch when you have a close substitute with almost the same cost
is DSTV 6k? do you get the football games on DSTV?
can you use DSTV without Hitv for your viewing center biz?

the answers are NO!
DSTV is not a close substitute and even if u wanna switch, the cost is high!

so it brings you back to point zero
pay the required sum or close the biz!!

The risk of not doing well in the biz is the inability to get urself on the Hitv platform. U cant do a viewing center biz at tht cost without HITV
very simple my bro
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by FBS: 9:54am On Aug 20, 2009
tkb417:

haha got a prize for studying econs in the UNI grin grin
Glad you confessed you got a prize and NOT a degree.  grin cheesy

tkb417:

you surely know about the law of demand and supply but not how to apply it. . .
the active subscribers on Hitv is about 300,000. This means those subscribing monthly

there are those who pay this month and wont pay for 2 months, the category of these group gives about 250,000 and we have those who can afford to pay but are on another platform= roughly 500,000 people

in defining the potential mkts, i can safely say anybody that earns more than a 100,000 per month can afford to pay Hitv subscription per month( its just an assumption) andif we look at these sets of people, they are more than 10million in Nigeria

what does that tell you Mr FBS? that the potential demand is about 10million while the real demand is just about 400k average!!

its simple, the potential demand is there for Hitv to tap into

and when you talk of switching, you only switch when you have a close substitute with almost the same cost
is DSTV 6k? do you get the football games on DSTV?
can you use DSTV without Hitv for your viewing center biz?

the answers are NO!
DSTV is not a close substitute and even if u wanna switch, the cost is high!

so it brings you back to point zero
pay the required sum or close the biz!!

The risk of not doing well in the biz is the inability to get urself on the Hitv platform. U cant do a viewing center biz at tht cost without HITV
very simple my bro

Apparently, you did not read my earlier questions  because if you did, you will notice that you only provided answers to some of them.
Not withstanding, your analysis is flawed for one simple reason. You cannot say because there is a potential demand of 10 million, therefore you raise the price.
You have clearly forgotten that even out of the average you mentioned, how many of those are VCs?
You cannot as a provider say because VC are making money off you, you then decide to increase the subcription fee to any level without factoring in items earlier mentioned. What about your existing customers?
My main question however, is, how did they arrive at this 20k and how will they enforce it even if at the time of purchase of the package the purpose (home use or VC) is stipulated.
If other "alternatives" cost much more then the VCs have no other option than to pay up but If I understand correctly, HiTV does not offer dual decoders?

PS: I have never used either and that was why I asked those questions.  wink
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by tkb417(m): 10:24am On Aug 20, 2009
Glad you confessed you got a prize and NOT a degree.
haha
how do u get prize without a degree grin grin grin

Apparently, you did not read my earlier questions because if you did, you will notice that you only provided answers to some of them.
Not withstanding, your analysis is flawed for one simple reason. You cannot say because there is a potential demand of 10 million, therefore you raise the price.
You have clearly forgotten that even out of the average you mentioned, how many of those are VCs?
You cannot as a provider say because VC are making money off you, you then decide to increase the subcription fee to any level without factoring in items earlier mentioned.
My main question however, is, how did they arrive at this 20k and how will they enforce it even if at the time of purchase of the package the purpose (home use or VC) is stipulated.
If other "alternatives" cost much more then the VCs have no other option than to pay up but If I understand correctly, HiTV does not offer dual decoders?

PS: I have never used either and that was why I asked those questions.

well
Hitv dont have dual decoders and of course that will evolve overtime

when DSTV came, it took them years b4 they brought the dual decoder thing and this was years after we've been burdened with high monthly subscription charges

as per ur other points about how they came about the 20k, i dunno and only Hitv can provide answers to that.
but i maintain that Hitv can increase thier subscrition charges if they know they have what you want and no one else will offer it

Football grin
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by Tmoni(m): 10:30am On Aug 20, 2009
Although, i agree that VC and Hotels should pay a premium on these matches,

I honestly do not agree to the 20k per month cost for viewing centres, and from what people say its just a single decoder so during champions league games or soccer saturday, all fans would all watch the same thing,

I can imagine all the omo-onile, baba last card who are GAYnners tussling for the remote control with Marouf (conductor) & Mukaila (Certified Agbero) who are Chelsea fans, on champions league nights, definately blood on dance floor,

I wish them well and if those prices reflect what they would need to be profitable, so be it,

I would rather all you people pay more money to HiTV than their loan to GTB become a non-performing loan,

Make we shareholders chop more dividend, grin
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by FBS: 11:08am On Aug 20, 2009
tkb417:

haha
how do u get prize without a degree grin grin grin

I got a prize in swimming. Does that mean I also got a degree in it? undecided grin cheesy

tkb417:

well
Hitv dont have dual decoders and of course that will evolve overtime

when DSTV came, it took them years b4 they brought the dual decoder thing and this was years after we've been burdened with high monthly subscription charges

as per your other points about how they came about the 20k, i dunno and only Hitv can provide answers to that.
but i maintain that Hitv can increase thier subscrition charges if they know they have what you want and no one else will offer it

Football grin

Certainly they can increase their subscription charges but to what amount? That remains the questions.
However, I see your point and that is their ONLY weapon.
Good Luck to them. cheesy
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by temmytanny(m): 11:23am On Aug 20, 2009
the issue of dual shouldnt be a problem now that my TV station accross the world and even nigeria(AIT,NTA and silverbird)is dreaming digitalization.
moreover,selling or having equipment for dual ,to me, isnt a problem.its just their sellfish interest that is delaying the rolling out of dual decoders.
by the time dual decoders come out now,u would be paying 11k per month.
HMMMMMMM naija sense!
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by tkb417(m): 11:29am On Aug 20, 2009
temmytanny:

the issue of dual shouldnt be a problem now that my TV station accross the world and even nigeria(AIT,NTA and silverbird)is dreaming digitalization.
moreover,selling or having equipment for dual ,to me, isnt a problem.its just their sellfish interest that is delaying the rolling out of dual decoders.
by the time dual decoders come out now,u would be paying 11k per month.
HMMMMMMM naija sense!
oh oh
now i understand where youre coming from

ue right tho! they can still wake up one day and say its now 10k
hmm, ure right!

but what do you do when you dont have a close substitute?
i want to watch footie and DSTV wont give me, what do i do?

FBS
I got a prize in swimming. Does that mean I also got a degree in it?

ure not serious
u didnt see ma post wbi wetin? i said i got a prize for studying econs while in UNI
u missed the UNI grin

not Unipetrol tho
haha
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by FBS: 11:43am On Aug 20, 2009
tkb417:

FBS
ure not serious
u didnt see ma post wbi wetin? i said i got a prize for studying econs while in UNI
u missed the UNI grin

not Unipetrol tho
haha

@tkb417, Who says ain't serious? I am ooh!  grin 'cos I assumed it was UniGaz.  grin  grin  grin

@topic;
Let's see how this will end, abi?
The story continues. . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Bournemouth Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On 20th May 2023 / Liverpool Vs Tottenham Hotspur (4 - 2) On 5th May 2024 / Leicester City Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 12th May 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.