Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,512 members, 7,895,144 topics. Date: Friday, 19 July 2024 at 11:27 PM

Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates (20911 Views)

Donald Trump To Chase Nigerians Out Of US / Ministerial Nominee To Chase Out Demons In The Power Sector / $300,000 Start-up Capital: Ghana Exempts ECOWAS Citizens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by morpheus24: 7:11pm On Oct 08, 2009
hackney:

Nigerians even in african countries are seen like a rat infestation.
All over the place with majority as bent as the letter 'U'.

Ghana (and all other african countries) should start with seizing any large house susspected to belong to any Nigerian that has even the slightest connection with politics.
I think Nigerian politicians all over the world should be hounded back to nigeria and their foreign properties given away.

Nigerians never have a good reputation where ever on earth they are if you take an average view in that location.

Despite all the prayers , Nigeria is still this way.
Who knows, maybe when the demons were defeated in heaven, the worst of them fell down and banged
his big head in northern Nigeria hence the drough, absolute lack,religious wickedness,political
destruction and the 'may nothing work' atmosphere.

Goodluck Nigeria i say.
@ HACKNEY

SHUT UP!
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Fhemmmy: 7:14pm On Oct 08, 2009
morpheus24:

@ HACKNEY

SHUT UP!

Why telling the dude to shut up, he is just speaking his mind.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Kobojunkie: 7:16pm On Oct 08, 2009
I am with @Fhemmy here. Why insult anyone for having an opinion different from yours What happened to simply ignoring??
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by morpheus24: 7:17pm On Oct 08, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Why telling the dude to shut up, he is just speaking his mind.
I am simplying exercising my own freedom to command to SHUT UP!

shut up is not an insult
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Fhemmmy: 7:19pm On Oct 08, 2009
morpheus24:

I am simplying exercising my own freedom to command to SHUT UP!

shut up is not an insult

na wa oh, so shut up is a friendly command?
And we blame the house of rep for slapping someone? i am sure u probably would have slapped the dude if possible, let us all just discuss and have fun in a civil way, we all cant agree.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by shesi(m): 7:27pm On Oct 08, 2009
Hahaha,

YEt another Ghana bashing tread on nairaland.

It seems nothing galvanizes nigerians together as much these days as their hate for Ghana.

We're glad to be of service.

YOu Nigerians know how to talk. Just empty talk.

First of all, this publication is arrant nonsense. How in the hell do you see this as a move to kick out nigerians? are you friggin kidding me? get over yourselves already!!!

you make everything about you.

Do those of you senselessly ranting on here know what the criteria is for a foreigner to set up shop in your own country?? Check that first before you starting writing nonsense.

Pan African this Pan African that. Now Nigerian knows about PanAfricanism?

I've said this countless times. How is it that the only country in West Africa with a history of State sponsored, widely-backed-by-the-populace Xenophobia now turns around to accuse other countries of xenophobia at every opportunity.

What is protectionist about insisting that only those who are capable to doing credible business be allowed to do business in your country?

Every forward thinking country does it. Maybe the structures don't work in your own country so you don't appreciate some of these things but it's nothing new. Everybody has a minimum standard in place.

If the US allowed every Chinese man with 1000 dollars to immigrate into their country to start a business, before you know it, their ecomony will be over-run by CHinese and all the money will move in the direction of CHina.

Should we allow our own population to be impoverished because we love love love our neighbours who incidentally once kicked out our pregnant women and children from their country when there was a famine in ours?

Basically, you're all allowing sentiments (ill sentiments against Ghana) to inform your opinions of this move. Which btw is not accurately depicted in that article you quoted.

Put the Ghana hate aside and think for a moment what your own government would have done, or should do, if say the Chinese start flooding your country.

If Nigeria wants a trade war, let's go.

At the present, which of the two countries in question prevents the other from exporting certain stuff into their country? Answer: NIGERIA. And yet, all of you are here shouting protectionism protectionism. Are u ffing kiddin me?

WHen Nigeria was flying high in the 80s, none of you gave a Bleep a ss abt ghana, now all we here is Ghana liberia nigeria, SL, are the only english speaking countries bla bla bla

Gbawe, talk is cheap. What you need is a history lesson. Before you attempt to castigate Ghana for so-called illegal moves perfected by Nigeria in the 80s and 90s and in some cases even till today. Cue textile industry. Ghana's market is flooded with textiles (often inferior) from China and Nigeria, Yet our own textile producers could not export to Nigeria, guess why? your government banned it. I've come to expect a little more from you Gbawe. But it seems no nigerian is beyond, hindsighless,over-emotionally-charged, sensationalist,downright wrong, comments when it comes to Ghana. Even your ministers.

Check out conditions in your own marketplace before you accuse someone else of protectionism. We are doing what we think is right for ourselves. You feed yourself before you help someone weed their farm. On an airplane, they advice to put your own oxygen mask on first before attempting to help another person. Even mothers!!

i'm still reading through this myriad of rubbish.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Kobojunkie: 7:30pm On Oct 08, 2009
roflmao!!!! i knew this would eventually happen grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by morpheus24: 7:39pm On Oct 08, 2009
shesi:

Hahaha,

YEt another Ghana bashing tread on nairaland.

It seems nothing galvanizes nigerians together as much these days as their hate for Ghana.
We're glad to be of service.

YOu Nigerians know how to talk. Just empty talk.

First of all, this publication is arrant nonsense. How in the hell do you see this as a move to kick out nigerians? are you friggin kidding me? get over yourselves already!!!

you make everything about you.

Do those of you senselessly ranting on here know what the criteria is for a foreigner to set up shop in your own country?? Check that first before you starting writing nonsense.

Pan African this Pan African that. Now Nigerian knows about PanAfricanism?

I've said this countless times. How is it that the only country in West Africa with a history of State sponsored, widely-backed-by-the-populace Xenophobia now turns around to accuse other countries of xenophobia at every opportunity.

What is protectionist about insisting that only those who are capable to doing credible business be allowed to do business in your country?

Every forward thinking country does it. Maybe the structures don't work in your own country so you don't appreciate some of these things but it's nothing new. Everybody has a minimum standard in place.

If the US allowed every Chinese man with 1000 dollars to immigrate into their country to start a business, before you know it, their ecomony will be over-run by CHinese and all the money will move in the direction of CHina.

Should we allow our own population to be impoverished because we love love love our neighbours who incidentally once kicked out our pregnant women and children from their country when there was a famine in ours?

Basically, you're all allowing sentiments (ill sentiments against Ghana) to inform your opinions of this move. Which btw is not accurately depicted in that article you quoted.

Put the Ghana hate aside and think for a moment what your own government would have done, or should do, if say the Chinese start flooding your country.

If Nigeria wants a trade war, let's go.

At the present, which of the two countries in question prevents the other from exporting certain stuff into their country? Answer: NIGERIA. And yet, all of you are here shouting protectionism protectionism. Are u ffing kiddin me?

WHen Nigeria was flying high in the 80s, none of you gave a Bleep a ss abt ghana, now all we here is Ghana liberia nigeria, SL, are the only english speaking countries bla bla bla

Gbawe, talk is cheap. What you need is a history lesson. Before you attempt to castigate Ghana for so-called illegal moves perfected by Nigeria in the 80s and 90s and in some cases even till today. Cue textile industry. Ghana's market is flooded with textiles (often inferior) from China and Nigeria, Yet our own textile producers could not export to Nigeria, guess why? your government banned it. I've come to expect a little more from you Gbawe. But it seems no nigerian is beyond, hindsighless,over-emotionally-charged, sensationalist,downright wrong, comments when it comes to Ghana. Even your ministers.

Check out conditions in your own marketplace before you accuse someone else of protectionism. We are doing what we think is right for ourselves. You feed yourself before you help someone weed their farm. On an airplane, they advice to put your own oxygen mask on first before attempting to help another person. Even mothers!!

i'm still reading through this myriad of rubbish.

I don't hate gahanaians.

infact I am planning on going to the world cup to support ya'll

Thats brotherly love no?
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Akwasi(m): 7:43pm On Oct 08, 2009
This will not get any of us anywhere. Blend the Ghanaian systematic way of doing doings and Nigreria's agressive and often smart way of getting things done. Let an intelligent person tell me what we will get. The result is what we have lost as so far embarassed
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by shesi(m): 7:44pm On Oct 08, 2009
i am overwhelmed by the enormity of nonsense on this thread. i don't even know where to start.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by MrCrackles(m): 7:45pm On Oct 08, 2009
shesi:

i am overwhelmed by the enormity of nonsense on this thread. i don't even know where to start.
lol cheesy
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Gbawe: 7:58pm On Oct 08, 2009
shesi:

My friend do you have any new info about the "Major export" of electricity we are about to recieve from you ? Unlike you I criticise both sides (Ghana and Nigeria) as guilty in the whole bellicosity we see of late . You only know how to defend Ghana - even if that means you endorse outright lies, half-truths and illegality. There are men , like Kofi Annan and Wole Soyinka , who are above reproach , as African Statesmen , when they speak . I think Mohamed Ibn Chambas qualifies to be held in decent esteem as an African.

He is Ghanaian . He is also the executive Secretary of ECOWAS . He has spoken against what Ghana is attempting to do.  He is Ghanaian like you but he does not care for a nationalistically misplaced defence of what is fundamentally wrong as you consistently engage in doing. Please accord Ibn Chambas the respect he deserves , as a technocratic voice in this matter, by addressing his condemnation of Ghana over this planed move. Some of us call wrong as wrong consistently and vice-versa . You never do that.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Martass: 7:59pm On Oct 08, 2009
Shesi,

The problem is there are too many clueless nitwits patronizing this forum. I have met a lot of smart Nigerians but unfortunately they don't show up here, and the  quality of posting here is just pure crap. I have stopped wasting my time making any factual arguments because they don't appreciate that. All they are interested  is grand posturing of we are better than you.

I hope they will appreciate the fact that every member country of Ecowas has trade laws despite Ecowas. I have tasked them to go avail themselves of this information before they show up here to bash Ghana. Whiles at it they can also have a look at Nigeria's bad and bully-like trade behaviour towards Ghana in recent times.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Martass: 8:09pm On Oct 08, 2009
Gbawe,

So you are still interested in the electricity supply to Nigeria? rest assure my friend it will happen quite shortly, rest assure my friend.

You know why? Simply because Nigeria is so huge there will still be room for extra help from Ghana despite your efforts. Fortunately we start producing oil next year and this I believe will facilitate this project, believe me.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Gbawe: 8:12pm On Oct 08, 2009
Martass:

Shesi,

The problem is there are too many clueless nitwits patronizing this forum. I have met a lot of smart Nigerians but unfortunately they don't show up here, and the  quality of posting here is just pure crap. I have stopped wasting my time making any factual arguments because they don't appreciate that. All they are interested  is grand posturing of we are better than you.

I hope they will appreciate the fact that every member country of Ecowas has trade laws despite Ecowas. I have tasked them to go avail themselves of this information before they show up here to bash Ghana. Whiles at it they can also have a look at Nigeria's bad and bully-like trade behaviour towards Ghana in recent times.

This is the heights of ungraciousness. Why do you bother remaining a user of this forum let alone responding to its "clueless nitwit" members ?  I know a lot of objective Ghanaians who denounce what is wrong consistently regardless of wether it is their father who is guilty of wrongdoing !!! Clearly you are not one of those Ghanaians while Ibn Chambas is . The difference is that the Ibn Chambas  condemnation of Ghana's move , as the executive Secretary of ECOWAS, carries more technocratic weight than anything you will say here.  Thank goodness some Ghanaians exist who will still admit to their nations wrongdoings same as Nigerians like myself consistently berate Nigeria for its follies.

At the event, ECOWAS executive secretary, Ibn Chambas, carpeted Ghana for such intentions, arguing that the country was not willing to reintegrate into the sub-regional market. He enjoined the authorities to consider a review of the said investment promotion council, describing it as anti-ECOWAS that will not be to the interest of member countries.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by kuzina(f): 8:33pm On Oct 08, 2009
http://www.ghana.gov.gh/ghana/ghana_hosts_ecowas_meeting_border_harassment.jsp

Ghana Hosts ECOWAS Meeting On Border Harassment
Representatives of civil society, the private sector and the media from the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) member-states are meeting in Accra under the auspices of the ECOWAS Commission to fashion out practical ways to stem harassment on the highways and borders within the region.

The three-day meeting which opened yesterday, is to mobilise civil society, the private sector and the media to combat harassment on the highways and at the borders as they were the main victims and beneficiaries of the implementation of the ECOWAS protocol on free movement.

Participants would also take a critical look at the ECOWAS Commission's memorandum on the status of the implementation of regional protocols on free movement, right of residence and establishment of citizenship and come up with recommendation to effect those provisions.

The memorandum recalled that since the adoption of the ECOWAS protocol relating to free movement, the right of residence and establishment of citizenship on May 29, 1979, individual member-states had perpetually violated its provisions.

It noted that those protocols provided for the removal of barriers between member-states to ensure free movement of persons, goods and services, grant community citizenship to nationals of member-states and the right of residence and establishment of enterprises by citizens of member-states.

By extension, the protocols also provided for the abolition of visa requirement for ECOWAS citizens travelling within the sub-region, issuance of ECOWAS passports and travellers' certificate to be recognised by all member-states and the use of ECOWAS Travellers cheques for trading, among other things.

"Despite all these measures, travelling within the ECOWAS sub-region is extremely difficult, on account of the ever-increasing number of illegal barriers and roadblocks, and the extortion of money from travellers at every checkpoint," the memorandum said.

It noted that on the basis of the provision of the protocols, the President of the ECOWAS Commission, Dr Mohamed Ibn Chambas appointed an eight-member committee to study the situation at the borders and on the highways and make recommendations regarding the status of implementation of free movement protocols within the sub-region.

The committee observed that with the exception of Burkina Faso, which recently reduced the number of checkpoints considerably, a large number of illegal roadblocks still existed in all the other member-states and systematic racketeering was also rife at such places.

The committee noted that, among other things, joint security patrols set up to combat organised crime had been turned into toll stations with security officials from immigration, customs and police extorting money from travellers.

"At some borders, volunteers are recruited by immigration officers to carry out racketeering activities, some borders close at 10 pm whereas they are supposed to be operating round the clock and by that, they give way for criminal activities to be perpetrated," the committee noted.

It also observed that even though all member-countries had ratified the free movement protocols and their supplementary text, immigration officers refused to recognise national identity cards as a valid intra-ECOWAS travel document from sub-regional citizens.

The committee also noted that, apart from Benin, Nigeria, Senegal, Guinea, Liberia and Niger, where all the three types of ECOWAS passports, namely the ordinary, service and diplomatic passports have been put into circulation, the other member-states gave excuses that they had a backlog of national passports to issue.

The committee, therefore, identified national authorities (governments), immigration, customs and security service, the private sector, the media and the ECOWAS Commission itself as key stakeholders in the holistic approach to stem harassment and promote free movement as a major factor in the realisation of overall regional integrations.

It called on the ECOWAS Commission to lead the way in ensuring public awareness about the rights of free movement for ECOWAS citizens, education for the border security, immigration and customs on free movement protocols, establishment of joint border posts and restructuring of such posts with appropriate facilities to facilitate travelling process.

I guess not all countries are practicing the terms of the ECOWAS agreement.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by shesi(m): 8:43pm On Oct 08, 2009
Gbawe, even if (and that's a big if) Ibn Chambas said that, Is Ibn Chambass the repository of all wisdom in this matter? Ibn Chambass can have his say, and so can Kofi Annan, Soyinka, et al.  But no one is infallibe.

Like it or not, It's a buyer's market.

You don't develop an economy by opening it up to all and sundry. It's never been done.  The chief proponents of this ideology on the global level didn't build their economies that way.

My challenge to you remains, Compare the two countries' trade policies and lets see who is more protectionist. I think you know the answer.
What is ecowas anyway? it's a ghost institution living on borrowed time. It has no future. The world is markedly different now from what it was when ecowas was conceived. And Ghana is perfectly right to be looking forward.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Gbawe: 8:45pm On Oct 08, 2009
kuzina:

http://www.ghana.gov.gh/ghana/ghana_hosts_ecowas_meeting_border_harassment.jsp

I guess not all countries are practicing the terms of the ECOWAS agreement.[/b]

Indeed .

The committee also noted that, apart from Benin, Nigeria, Senegal, Guinea, Liberia and Niger, where all the three types of ECOWAS passports, namely the ordinary, service and diplomatic passports have been put into circulation, the other member-states gave excuses that they had a backlog of national passports to issue.

This is why those with integrity will always speak against wrongdoing in recognising that as the only way forward - even if it is their nation that is the guilty party. Pointing at what others have done wrong previously as justification for our own wrongdoing is just an ignorant way of perpetuation what is condemnable.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Builder: 8:58pm On Oct 08, 2009
Hmmmm, trust nigerians to always transfer their woes unto someone else. If for whatever reason Nigerians are not happy with the treatment their companies are getting in Ghana does the word RELOCATION ever means anything. The simple fact is that Nigeria and her leaders are just crazed, useless and down right corrupt, every country in the world have the solemn right to protect her citizens and protect her economy from any overseas investments. if the nigerian government is too useless and blinded by corruption to implement what Ghana is doing to help herself or if the nigerian government is too idiotic to offer protection and introduce some incentive to help entrepreneurs and help retain small business then seriously, I rest my case.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by ikeyman00(m): 9:08pm On Oct 08, 2009
^^^

i think u missed the point

but yea grin
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by ikeyman00(m): 9:09pm On Oct 08, 2009
@@@

when the world have set to shame protectionist, this is what some get

no amount of big words/politics will fools me
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by ikeyman00(m): 9:15pm On Oct 08, 2009
ss

Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates
« #140 on: Today at 07:59:02 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shesi,

The problem is there are too many clueless nitwits patronizing this forum. I have met a lot of smart Nigerians but unfortunately they don't show up here, and the quality of posting here is just pure crap. I have stopped wasting my time making any factual arguments because they don't appreciate that. All they are interested is grand posturing of we are better than you.

I hope they will appreciate the fact that every member country of Ecowas has trade laws despite Ecowas. I have tasked them to go avail themselves of this information before they show up here to bash Ghana. Whiles at it they can also have a look at Nigeria's bad and bully-like trade behaviour towards Ghana in recent times

haaaaaa grin grin

o well haaa
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Gbawe: 9:17pm On Oct 08, 2009
shesi:

Gbawe, even if (and that's a big if) Ibn Chambas said that, Is Ibn Chambass the repository of all wisdom in this matter? Ibn Chambass can have his say, and so can Kofi Annan, Soyinka, et al.  But no one is infallibe.

Like it or not, It's a buyer's market.

You don't develop an economy by opening it up to all and sundry. It's never been done.  The chief proponents of this ideology on the global level didn't build their economies that way.

My challenge to you remains, Compare the two countries' trade policies and lets see who is more protectionist. I think you know the answer.
What is ecowas anyway? it's a ghost institution living on borrowed time. It has no future. The world is markedly different now from what it was when ecowas was conceived. And Ghana is perfectly right to be looking forward.

That is outright fallacy - if you are trying to insinuate tht economic regional blocs are not 'fashionable' today . If anything the EU , as a successful model of an economic regional bloc , has grown in strenght and influence enought to validate the thinking that small nations must unite to trade effectively and beneficially with the 'superpowers' , secure the welfare of citizens more robustly, grow miltarily , exchange technology and specialist knowledge, utilise diverse information sharing, etc . Even as no one will admit to it , I think most folks know that the EU was inaugurated to challenge the growing economic might of the USA back then. Today the union has more or less achieved its objectives with how the EU is actually now an influential economic zone.

ECOWAS is impotent because African member nations are not committed to its success . This is why we must all consistently speask against actions that undermine ECOWAS. The bloc may not work well now but nothing stops me and you agitating for perseverance with ECOWAS in recognition of how it is a highly neccessary union for all our magnified success. We all tend to think of success as isolated to ourselves only and this is why we are consumed with competing against each other always. The divide-and-conquer tactics of our colonial Master worked too well. Alas we are still unable to re-program our thinking to date!!!!

ECOWAS has not failed because an economic trade bloc is a bad idea. It is not working because of the hypocrisy of a people who want to copy the models of success elsewhere while those same people lack the unity, mutual respect and dedication to end result that make the economic blocs we admire (like the EU) work as well as they do.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Fhemmmy: 9:18pm On Oct 08, 2009
Builder:

Hmmmm, trust nigerians to always transfer their woes unto someone else. If for whatever reason Nigerians are not happy with the treatment their companies are getting in Ghana does the word RELOCATION ever means anything. The simple fact is that Nigeria and her leaders are just crazed, useless and down right corrupt, every country in the world have the solemn right to protect her citizens and protect her economy from any overseas investments. if the nigerian government is too useless and blinded by corruption to implement what Ghana is doing to help herself or if the nigerian government is too unfortunate to offer protection and introduce some incentive to help entrepreneurs and help retain small business then seriously, I rest my case.

You could have a point, however, that is not part of the ECOWAS treaty.
If for every action, there is a conter-action, i am sure no one will be able to live beside one another.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Nobody: 9:31pm On Oct 08, 2009
such laws can't work in 9ja cuz nigerians are the laziest people on earth. the guys only know how to steal/cheat and girls how to spread their toto.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by buffead(f): 9:39pm On Oct 08, 2009
WHO CARES MCHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW NA TODAY undecided angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by emekagh(m): 10:09pm On Oct 08, 2009
Interesting thread. And as usual filled again with ignorant outburst from some ill informed, but passionate people. Anyway I have lived in the two worlds - Nigeria and Ghana. And I like to give my opinion is this matter.

Let me start with Shesi
I live nd work in Accra Ghana, and I have followed this debate for a while now. I know quite well that inter-ministerial discussion is going on at various levels of government of both countries to resolve this impasse. Though Ghana claim $300,000 is the minimum required for 'foreigners' to start business in ghana. They claim that such amount is necessary to prevent 'foreigner' from 'competing' with local in petty trading. Paint it anyway you like Shesi, you and I know it is protectionism. But then I would do same (and more) if I were in Ghana's shoes. Protecting your economy is not a bad idea.

The point you mentioned about Nigeria 'banning' some many good from 'Ghana' is not entirely wrong. Nigeria has a 'very good reason' to reject some of those good- minimal local content. According to Nigeria, goods from neighbouring countries with less than 60% local content are not deem to have been made in that country. Nigeria is not unawares of the hasty (and perhaps ill-informed) interim EPA agreement Ghana and Ivory Coast signed with EU. This essentially make those countries 'dumping' sites for their finished goods. Dumping site we wont mind, but transit point to Nigeria - a bigger (and target) market? No way! There is no way Nigeria will allow EU to ship product through Ghana, and repackage them, and ship to Nigeria in the name of ECOWAS. That would not be fair.

At those creating rumours about chasing out Nigerians,
That is not the case. Ghana is simply trying to regulate their business environment. And it's a buyers market like Shesi said. If the cost of doing business in Ghana becomes 'untainable' for any reason, business men (women) with make necessary decision. I don't have yet the $300,000 (or $1m) required do business in Ghana, but I know I can start a $10,000 (or less) chicken/fish farm business in Nigeria or Benin/Togo. Why do I need to bother about Ghana's conditionality? Lets quit this unnecessary noise about Ghana, it's simply not worth it!
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by becomrich15: 10:37pm On Oct 08, 2009
WilyWily Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates
« #93 on: Today at 01:51:24 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghanaians are not selfish,
have u forgotten how Yoruba party (UPN) lead by Mr Awolowo in 1980 persuaded Shagari to deport them so that Yorubas will fill the vacancies vacated by Ghanaians.
The deportation of Ghanaians were a Yoruba policy, so that they will satisfy their selfish interest.
Today God is helping them

Awo or the Yorubas were never involve in deportation of people from ghana. It was Shagari a northerner who deported them. And if I remember well. He did it because Ghana were the first to deport Nigerian. it affected only those that did not have thier paper before we had ecowas.

I do not believe Ghana would deport Nigerian like you people claim. even Ghana president goes to a nigeria church and use to live in Nigeria.

Under Ecowas law. Ghana may be fined for it. Even the executive Secretary of ECOWAS is a Ghanaian.

Thank God Benin Republic is not like that. And we do not need Ghana to be part of the New Benin republic, We only need Benin republic. And we really do not need Togo to make the change. Only Benin republic. We dont want to complicate our lifes with the same problem we have in Nigeria. We need Only Benin republic. Just to be able to reunite borgu , fon and others . We do not want to be seen as taken people land.
It also reduce the fear of domination of others. shown by Ghana about nigerian.
And another thing is, we dont want Ghana because of nation cup. they know how to play football.

If we could get the New republic of Benin ready before Benin Next Match . the New Benin republic would meet Nigeria in the final.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by naijaway(m): 11:10pm On Oct 08, 2009
Instead of ranting and having enlongated lamentations Nigeria should step up. On a real note, my predicitions are Ghana in west Africa will be ever growing/ grow to almost a developed nation standard in the next 12years. I don't think they will chase out many other African nations like Liberia, s/leone, togo etc. their trick is to seem non tolerant then retain a very few controllable number of nigerians and larger populations of other west african nations while getting investments from its dispora citizens, african descendants whose ancestors were slaves, and developed nation citizens. It seems like a bet that will pay off because from observation you can tell they fear being overwhelmed by nigerians and another honest truth is that they can't stand nigerian arrogance. They will rather forfeit nigerian brotherhood for their their further development.
Their assessment if implemented might come back to bite them only if nigeria gets her acts together like national equality in terms of less tribalism, security in the nation, respect of law from citizens and enforcers alike, technological innovation, religious tolerance, dedicated/intelligent/patriotic senators and high credibility in our educational system. If we shun all these am sorry that ghana would prove their bet right and it shouldn't surprise many who are now saying that lagos gdp is much more than all of ghana combined cuz they might be the ones saying that one of their state not even accra gdp is much more than the whole of Nigeria combined. We can whine and feel bad to watever limits but naija has to do her part which is unfortunately alot but achievable if started now. Emphasis on maoral and sound long term infrastructures. We can decide to counter and chase out all the western nations investing in nigeria and only stick to china, russia and iran but that will not do us any better without national determination.
Ghana will be the light of west africa for the first half of 2010 to 2020 and Nigeria can only reclaim that lead if determination leads our good will. anything short of this will not put us up there and if we decide to get violent many will back ghana and stop the craze. We have gotten to the point of do it and do it very very right or else we bear the consequences, the time of too many trial and error is now hunting us mega time. It is a definning moment for Nigeria and we are capable of the task but pride needs to be in check first.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Gbawe: 11:45pm On Oct 08, 2009
emeka_gh:

At those creating rumours about chasing out Nigerians,
That is not the case. Ghana is simply trying to regulate their business environment. And it's a buyers market like Shesi said. If the cost of doing business in Ghana becomes 'untainable' for any reason, business men (women) with make necessary decision. I don't have yet the $300,000 (or $1m) required do business in Ghana, but I know I can start a $10,000 (or less) chicken/fish farm business in Nigeria or Benin/Togo. Why do I need to bother about Ghana's conditionality? Lets quit this unnecessary noise about Ghana, it's simply not worth it!

This is a good point that would be valid if it does not ignore the fact that in an economic regional bloc like ECOWAS ( you can consult the rulebook of ECOWAS if you want) member nations must attempt to make it easier, not more difficult,  for other member nations to do business within its terrain !!! What is the point of ECOWAS if Ghana will treat businessmen from its fellow member nation worse than it would treat businessmen from Lebanon? The UK may have no problem blocking the entrance of Nigerian goods into its market but it will not practice such barefaced protectionism against Germany because , as members of the same economic regional bloc, the UK knows it will quickly be called to order for such a flagrant disregard of EU rules.

Ghana can go ahead with its plan but all of us , most especially Shesi , must understand and acknowledge that this is uncharted territory Ghana is venturing into. Up until now , and despite the petty 'discrimination' against each others exports, citizens of ECOWAS nations have not been treated as expatriates when they have sought to do business in the nations of other member States. Let God give us all long lives so that we can see what Ghana's unprecedented action portends for the future.

It is true that ECOWAS does not work. Nonetheless , it is still an existing entity . It is foolish for member nations to ignore this fact with actions that flagrantly violate the most fundamental tenets of West Africa's economic regional bloc.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Martass: 12:01am On Oct 09, 2009
Naijaway,

you make some interesting observations.

Like emeka_gh just said Ghana is trying to regulate it`s business environment so it can be controllable. This decision if true is also strategic in anticipation of dealing with possible crime surge which could arise as a result of  `ìnvestors` invading Ghana.

Ghana is not preventing people to come and invest, on the contrary they want serious investors. It is a small country and don`t need petty investors coming in droves with $2000 or $1000 to set up business which the locals could do.  If not checked and regulated it is this same petty traders who will metamorphosis into gangsters and armed robbers compounding the already crime wave on the rise.

Ghana is just trying to put itself in a position to create a lawful and controllable society for all, including law abiding foreigners. They will have themselves to blame if they let the situation run out of control.

Ecowas notwithstanding , we still have boarders and countries are wary of their internal stability and that comes first.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Pikephase(m): 12:31am On Oct 09, 2009
What do you expect. These guys have tied up their sheets and built up their democracy. Why should Nigerians flock to Ghana in the first place. Let them stay in Naija and wallow in thier mess. Until we as a country can radiaclly revolt like Ghana did several years ago, Nigeria will continue to be a Pariah state. This is just the beginning. angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Edo APC Hails State CAN BOSS For Rejecting Jonathan’s Bribe / Modibbo Kawu In Hate Speech Against Saraki On Whatsapp / Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani: Why Twitter Got It Wrong In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.