Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,473 members, 7,926,385 topics. Date: Tuesday, 20 August 2024 at 02:05 PM

Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates (20988 Views)

Donald Trump To Chase Nigerians Out Of US / Ministerial Nominee To Chase Out Demons In The Power Sector / $300,000 Start-up Capital: Ghana Exempts ECOWAS Citizens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Mortiple(m): 10:36am On Oct 09, 2009
I am surprised that many of us have resorted to calling Ghana all kinds of names for making an economic policy that is not favourable to our compatriots doing business over there.  Well, I must say that this might turn out to be a blessing in disguise.  How? If these Nigerians and other foreign investors  in Ghana are forced to leave, they may definitely come to Nigeria;  if only there can be a meaningful improvement in power supply. Moreover, the return of these investors will increase the pressure on the PRAYER-BOY's government to perform.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Nobody: 10:38am On Oct 09, 2009
Lets see how Dele Momodu will react to this, according to him he is Ghanian by association
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Gbawe: 10:56am On Oct 09, 2009
Martass:

Now you are beginning to sound pitiable my friend, Nigeria is not down, there are just too many bad things being done by Nigerians in Nigeria. Just clean up.

My friend I know that . I am only poking fun at Nigerians who dont understand (in your words) that "too many bad things being done by Nigerians in Nigeria. Just clean up". I am one Nigerian who understands damn well that we are only a decent President away from a great nation. In Nigeria too much power is concentrated in the Presidency. Get that position wrong and you get everything else wrong. That is what has happened in the past few decades and Nigerians who see the big picture would be better served getting involved in the attempt to gain a decent number 1 citizen instead of the pathetic and self-hating idiocy of joining others in castigating Nigeria and Nigerians - even when we are the aggrieved party . Nigerians should stop speaking as if they are cursed and incapable of reversing what is happening to their nation. Furthermore it is inane for many of them to support unjust behaviour against their fellow Nigerians abroad because , currently and in most situation, the Nigerian is adjudged "guilty as charged" without trial. What is wrong is wrong.

If Ghana was happy to allow Nigerians to trade within its borders with the payment of relatively low levy it is unfair (and you will admit so if you were not so nationalistically compromised) to jack up that price overnight to $350,000 and then immediately close the businesses of Nigerians who can't comply without so much as a period of grace !!!! Haba !!!!  Many have lost their livelyhood for God  sake . What is wrong with folks on this forum ? Is it now that Nigerians deserve whatever is done to them abroad simply because their Government will not "make Nigerians stay in Nigeria" ?

The question you must be asking is, why is Ghana hiking this investment seed money to 300.000 or what ever? Ghana needs investors and that does not mean they should close their eyes to all things which could possibly create problems for their economy. Nigeria is not being targeted in any way, this law applies to all foreign investors.  

What you guys don’t realize is how this situation goes a long way to arrest xenophobic. If there is  no any form of regulation and petty investors come to choke the small Ghanaian economic system, that is when you will know what xenophobic is.

The question you should ask is why your nation imposes an overnight levy of $350, 000 on all foreign businesses (even as some wll argue that Nigerian businesses should not be classified as foreign under ECOWAS laws) without adequate 'buffers' and yet it is only Nigerian businesses that were closed quickly !!!! Is that not tantamount to ejecting a man from his home without so much as providing him with basic temporary accomodation?

What is it with you and other Ghanaian members of this forum? Are you guys averse to declaring wrong as wrong when it is your nation involved  ? Please some of us know Ghana very well . We just don't have to shove that down anyone's throat in an attempt to make our opinion sound more salient !! I am telling you that it was only Nigerian businesses that were forcefully shut when the Ghanaian authority decided to enact punishment against 'foreigners' who could not pay the $350, 000 overnight levy !!! If you continue to evade that issue then that action speaks volume about your partisan tolerance of unjust behaviour .
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by unclebros: 11:12am On Oct 09, 2009
[img]http://Democracy? No!!![/img]

Ezeagu, pls tell us when and when will a ruling party will humbly concede a defeat and handover to the opposition in Nigeria
It happened at the presidential level in Ghana, why am I not surprised when Obama went there cos thats the same thing that happened in USA.

For here, na to kusibe (die there) sydrome
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Kobojunkie: 11:41am On Oct 09, 2009
semid4lyfe:

And the xenophobia continues -

This move by Ghana is self-serving and purely Anti-Ecowas cos it breaches the ECOWAS charter and protocol.

The Nigerian Government should come out and condemn this move in the strongest terms.

What has XENOPHOBIA to do with a [size=14pt]BUSINESS [/size] decision?? Nigerians are NOT being kicked out, neither are Nigerian businesses being kicked out.  The main  article does not tell you that this APPLIES to ONLY NIGERIANS, but to all ECOWAS countries of which Nigeria happens to be one. Nigerian and other ECOWAS Businesses that meet the minimum criteria can easily establish their works in Ghana and do business there. I don't understand why we are not able to SEPARATE our PERSONAL ISSUES from the main here. 

Sure, it is possible that this may be Anti-ECOWAS ,but remember, these countries were NOT ALL BORN ATTACHED, they had to join, and are not obligated to remain bound by the agreement, as is, for ETERNITY. Even the ECOWAS treaty itself has been reviewed and revised at least once. That there ought to tell one that the treaty itself is not WRITTEN IN STONE for ALL of west africa.

Now you mention it is self-serving, I ask why Ghana has no right to pursue such actions? Do the poeple of ghana go to the polls to vote for a president who will work on their behalf( Serve Ghana First, even on the international front), or a president who will work on the behalf of other countries, even when it does not make sense to the well being of the Ghanian people? Can we please use our heads here and not continue to inject SENTIMENT into this irrationally? A Country has to protect ITS OWN first, before it goes out to SERVE others. Most all other countries do it, why can't Ghana do it? It seems the hardest thing for some here is realizing that Ghana is a COUNTRY, and not really REQUIRED to do what benefits even Nigeria FIRST at the end of the day.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by jrtorrents: 11:53am On Oct 09, 2009
I am a Ghanaian, and sometimes I feel bad when our governments put certain impedements in the way of our other brothers doing business in our country. But Nigerians should also know that three years ago the Nigerian government placed extra taxes on imported tomatoes from Ghana, and subsequently banned them.The Nigerian government till now does not allow foreigners to establish Banks in Nigeria unless its servicing expatriates. There are as well several restrictions on Ghanaian businessmen in Nigeria. So before you try to accuse Ghanaian government of anything you should advice your government to loosen up a bit. We are all Africans.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by otokx(m): 11:57am On Oct 09, 2009
Its at times like this that i miss OBJ.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by emmydee(m): 12:03pm On Oct 09, 2009
thats serious madness from d Ghanaian govt.
Why would they come up with such laws?
i hope it doesnt backfire on them o!
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by jrtorrents: 12:23pm On Oct 09, 2009
Lot of Nigerians have no idea how bad Nigerian government treats other governments.
For instance Nigerian government failed to offer Ghana government oil because the Nigerian gvt. wanted to use a particular company to distribute oil to Ghana known as SAHARA. The Ghanaian government was skeptical about this company. So till now there haven't been any oil from Nigeria to Ghana because of that stand off. Governments choose to do what they want if they have the bargaining power.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Gbawe: 12:39pm On Oct 09, 2009
jrtorrents:

Lot of Nigerians have no idea how bad Nigerian government treats other governments.
For instance Nigerian government failed to offer Ghana government oil because the Nigerian gvt. wanted to use a particular company to distribute oil to Ghana known as SAHARA. The Ghanaian government was skeptical about this company. So till now there haven't been any oil from Nigeria to Ghana because of that stand off. Governments choose to do what they want if they have the bargaining power.

If true then that is condemnable of Nigeria. I can only assume that a Nigerian in the corridor of power must be connected to this SAHARA entity and the greedy desire to gain a lucratic contract has once again overriden the need for the right and progressive thing to be done. As far as I know , and unless what you wrote has scuppered it , the plan was for Nigeria to actually supply more oil to Ghana plus ease payment burden on our Sister nation with credit period revised from 30 days to 90 days . The move is touted as a gesture to assist Ghana's liquidity situation after Atta-Mills secured a signed deal with YarAdua in Abuja. Who knows the truth when both countries are involved. I would certainly hope Nigeria has done what the report states below rather than the intended actions being another ostensible 'big brother' act that is actually an empty attempt by some Nigerians at 'playing to the Gallery' while they enrich themselves in the background.

http://in.reuters.com/article/oilRpt/idINLJ41250220090619

Nigeria to export more oil to Ghana, ease terms

Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:32am IST  Email | Print | Share| Single Page[-] Text [+] ACCRA, June 19 (Reuters)

Nigeria will increase crude oil shipments to Ghana to up to 65,000 barrels per day from up to 45,000 at the moment and ease terms of credit to help support the Ghanaian economy, an official in Ghana said on Friday.
Ghanaian President John Atta Mills secured the deal at talks with Nigerian leader Umaru Yar'Adua in Abuja.

Ghana's government, which took office in January, is facing a cash crunch as a result of the global financial crisis and high spending by the previous government in 2008.

Mahama Ayariga, spokesperson for Mills, said 45,000 barrels of the Nigerian oil would go to the Tema oil refinery. The rest would go to the Volta River Authority for power generation.

Nigeria would also extend credit for 90 days instead of the current 30 days. Ghana, the world's second biggest cocoa grower, is itself due to become an oil producer by the end of next year. (Reporting by Kwasi Kpodo; Editing by Christian Wiessner)
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by rethink: 1:06pm On Oct 09, 2009
@jrtorrents

That is a big lie. If you give Ghana today 9th october Crude oil they cant refine oil because their Refinery is comatose. The former government defrauded it is own people. They refined high sulphur crude oil and sold it as though it was brent crude oil.

@Akwasi and Shesi

Ghanaians have a degree of Xenophobia and they must deal with it. on your TV on your radio they carry bad news and it looks like the opposite of Good is Nigeria and Not.

@All Nigerians

Ghanaians have a right to do whatever they like, we can now see that we cannot run away but imagine and Dream for how we can make Nigeria better. I say let us dream so that our kids can build on those dreams.

Do you know that most dreams are selfless.

The real thing about the $300,000 issue is the petty traders from mainly the east of nigeria selling on tables and even hawking in Ghana. Should ghana fold its arms for people from Nigeria take over the petty trade business?

There are shops in Makola a business district in Accra Nigerians use to supply goods to Ghanaians but now Nigerians are owning the shops. The business Ghanaian is not happy so during the election they made it a campaign issue.

The fact is that increasing the threshold to $300,000 would not help Ghana, why? because Ghanaian business Pysche is wrong. I will explain.

A ghanaian business man or woman would buy something for 50 pesewa and sell for 1ghana cedis 50 pesewa.  he or she would not care if the goods get spoil or not and do you know most of the times the Goods are collected on credit from the Wholesaler who are nigerians and foreigners.

back in the late 90s when i started to come to ghana if you sold(supplied) Greeting card to a Ghanaian shop at 20pesewas The shops would sell it at 50pesewas and atimes 1cedi  TO COLLECT YOUR MONEY WOULD BE AN ETERNAL PROBLEM. YOU WILL BE SHOKCED THAT YOUR GOODS ARE NOT THERE AND THEY HAVE OTHER GOODS, THEY PROBABLY USED YOUR MONEY TO PAY FOR OTHER GOODS.

THE SAME THING HAPPENED IN THE OIL BUSINESS YOU COLLECT CREDIT BRENT CRUDE OIL FROM NIGERIA REFINE SELL AND GO TO BUY OTHER CRUDE OIL ON THE HIGH SEAS IN CASH.

I have lived in ghana for 14 years and i have experience in business tribal and political Psyche here, I always tell people to be careful and never give Credit sale to a Ghanaian because they have a problem with selling and paying back. This is not however a general staement as it would be tantamount to reverse Xephobism.

Nigeria needs to leave Ghana alone. If we develope ourself and recapitalise our markets it would be Good. Imagine

Mushin Market is turned to a massive shopping mall where you have 20 feet under ground shops and 30 floor high rise malls.  We must make the money bags work in nigeria.

We need to rebuild our markets. this petty trading most be done with we must build massive markets that people will come and buy.  We are condemned to dream that is all we have to dream.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by jrtorrents: 1:08pm On Oct 09, 2009
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by jrtorrents: 1:16pm On Oct 09, 2009
rethink, . You seem no to get my point. My point is governments do what they like if the have the bargaining power.
Check the real facts from the link below.

http://www.modernghana.com/print/235302/1/nigeria-govt-reacts-to-chronicle-storyyaradua-mill.html

Assuming there isn't any rift between Ghana and Nigeria with the oil matter,
check these links on how unfair the Nigerian government has treated Ghana

http://www.nollywoodmovies.com/EsyBanOnGhanaProductsInNig.html

Why doesn't the Nigerian government allow foreigner in its Banking sector

This is a two way street so lets no one pretend to be the victim.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by initiator(m): 1:21pm On Oct 09, 2009
One thing this thread has revealed is how Nigerians have grown to hate themselves and consider themselves deserving of sh.it. Notwithstanding, i was in Ghana some months back, Tema Refinery to be precise. Those Ghanians thinking that Nigeria is a nuisance better reconsider because Nigeria's supply of crude to the refinery is what holds the economy there, so before their government goes on with unpleasant policies they should think roundly.

Countries around the world prosper when they open their economy to the world - America, China, Japa, etc, It makes no sense to be a closed economy. My laundry man is Ghanian. He has family in Nigeria and Ghana and there is no restrain on him running his business in Ajah where he does it. No $300, 000 requirements and all so why extend this same policy to Nigerians? It beats me.

The Nigerian Government doesnt bar foreigners from establishing banks in the country like Citi Bank, Standard Chartered etc, but discourages foreign banks from ACQUIRING more than 20 % of local banks and this policy was in Soludo's time as the new guy seems disposed to take-overs.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Gbawe: 1:26pm On Oct 09, 2009
jrtorrents:

Gbawe,

http://www.modernghana.com/print/235302/1/nigeria-govt-reacts-to-chronicle-storyyaradua-mill.html

I have read the link and it is hard to fathom the truth or ascribe definite culpability to be honest. The Nigerian Ambassador to Ghana has assured that the delay has nothing to do with SAHARA oil company and that Ghana will recieve oil soon. I hope he is right. Anyway thanks fr bringing this to the attention of the forum.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by jrtorrents: 1:30pm On Oct 09, 2009
Initator,

The Nigerian government can decided what it wants to do with any sector of its economy so likewise the Ghanaian government. Like your banking sector which is restricted to only Nigerians. Why don't you bring up ECOWAS in this?

http://www.tradeinvestnigeria.com/news/183559.htm
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by ikeyman00(m): 1:41pm On Oct 09, 2009
jirtoret

to be honest the article u got up there doesnt suggest anything

or does it

atleast, i vindicate the fact more oil ill be supply to ghana

spinning right
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Gbawe: 1:41pm On Oct 09, 2009
jrtorrents:

rethink, . You seem no to get my point. My point is governments do what they like if the have the bargaining power.
Check the real facts from the link below.

Assuming there isn't any rift between Ghana and Nigeria with the oil matter,
check these links on how unfair the Nigerian government has treated Ghana

http://www.nollywoodmovies.com/EsyBanOnGhanaProductsInNig.html

Why doesn't the Nigerian government allow foreigner in its Banking sector
This is a two way street so lets no one pretend to be the victim.

The Nigerian Government does . Only that , and Like initiator has explained , there is an attempt to limit the controlling stakes foreigners can have. In any case that situation is about to change with our current CBN Governor pushing aggressively for the unrestricted involvement of foreign banks in Nigeria. I for one welcome the move and have spoken against Nigeria's banking protectionism in the past. It is much better that banks in Nigeria do not have a Nigerian 'backbone' alone for the sake of diversity, transparency, vibrancy, competition and better service delivery.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by ikeyman00(m): 1:43pm On Oct 09, 2009
initiatr

One thing this thread has revealed is how Nigerians have grown to hate themselves and consider themselves deserving of sh.it. Notwithstanding, i was in Ghana some months back, Tema Refinery to be precise. Those Ghanians thinking that Nigeria is a nuisance better reconsider because Nigeria's supply of crude to the refinery is what holds the economy there, so before their government goes on with unpleasant policies they should think roundly.
gbam!!! correct suff
monkie brains!!!

losers
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by rethink: 1:51pm On Oct 09, 2009
@jrtorrents

The crude oil deal problem is that Tema refinery is owing to Ghana commercial bank over 600 million dollar = 900 million Gh cedis and it cant  raise a letter of credit. Nigeria has blessed Ghana on the oil issue and Ghana with some criminal Nigerians took Nigerian Government for a ride.

Your government got sixty days credit from us but you will sell and your oil marketing companies will not pay. before The NPP came you have 9 oil marketing companies now you have about 30 more and they are supplied on credit.

The premium that your banks pay on the monies owed kept increasing. instead of dealing with nigeria what did your Government do they were buying High sulphur content crude oil from the high sea that has almost destryed your Refinery here.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Gbawe: 1:56pm On Oct 09, 2009
initiator:

One thing this thread has revealed is how[b] Nigerians have grown to hate themselves and consider themselves deserving of sh.it.[/b] .

My man , this self-loathing has shocked me too !!!! It is now cool and even acceptable to hate Nigerians. What is sad and deplorable is how Nigerians themselves are increasingly shunning logic and a sense of equity with how they routinely back unfair treatment dished out to fellow Nigerians by non-Nigerians. Let us hope non of us will not be on the recieving end of such unfair treatment some day.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by KnowAll(m): 1:59pm On Oct 09, 2009
The Ghanaian situation is rather irritating and alarming; Nigerians generally should not have any business in an economy not larger than that of Agege a suburb of lagos.

If only we have put our house in order, at times I feel like grabbing a revolver and emptying its contents on the fools who call themselves our leaders they seem to always enjoy the misery and pains hip on their fellow country men by principalities smaller than lagos state.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Martass: 2:00pm On Oct 09, 2009
Gbawe,

Fact is many of this people coming to Ghana under the guise of 'business men' are not business men at all, they have already started creating problems and Ghana will be damned if it allows it.

I have said here before, that I wish Nigerians will change their attitude and behaviour in their country and stay there. West Africa will be more peaceful this way.

Nigeria has a huge population, huge space. It is wealthy many times than Ghana. Why are this so-called 'business men' flocking to Ghana then?  The only factor here my friend is because of it's  peaceful atmosphere. Should we sit down as a country and let people come and destroy the little we have?

The real business men are able to come to Ghana and establish themselves, those complaining are not what they claim to be they are just trouble. We know it and will do everything to stop it.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by jrtorrents: 2:03pm On Oct 09, 2009
Gbawe:

The Nigerian Government does . Only that , and Like initiator has explained , there is an attempt to limit the controlling stakes foreigners can have. In any case that situation is about to change with our current CBN Governor pushing aggressively for the unrestricted involvement of foreign banks in Nigeria. I for one welcome the move and have spoken against Nigeria's banking protectionism in the past. It is much better that banks in Nigeria do not have a Nigerian 'backbone' alone for the sake of diversity, transparency, vibrancy, competition and better service delivery.

Check this link too, I'd like you comments. You seem to be the only objective Nigerian over here.

http://www.afriquejet.com/news/africa-news/ghana-protests-nigeria's-goods-ban-2009091935190.html
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Martass: 2:09pm On Oct 09, 2009
KnowAll,

What prevents you from puting your house in order and staying there? You are just going to mess up little 'agege' right?
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by ikeyman00(m): 2:10pm On Oct 09, 2009
jrtorrent
Check this link too, I'd like you comments. You seem to be the only objective Nigerian over here.

but on the REALITIES side u cannt pretend not to read rethink 'post

shall i say u just behave like an average ghanaian?
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by ikeyman00(m): 2:12pm On Oct 09, 2009

KnowAll,

What prevents you from puting your house in order and staying there? You are just going to mess up little 'agege' right?

and since ghana is in order; how come a lot of them wana live; mind u alo are still in ghadaffi custody lipsrsealed

are we sayn ghanaians arent in nigeria? met one lady last yr in the airport?
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by jrtorrents: 2:18pm On Oct 09, 2009
keyman00,

you seem not to get my point. Every Governments does what is right for its people, Nigera, Ghana, everyone does it. Nigerian govenrment bans goods from Ghana because they want to, Nigerian government places restrictions on banking by foreigners because they want the best for their citizens, Ghanaian govenrmnet does same and its a problem for you guys. I only gave those links to substantiate what I was saying.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Gbawe: 2:27pm On Oct 09, 2009
jrtorrents:

http://www.afriquejet.com/news/africa-news/ghana-protests-nigeria's-goods-ban-2009091935190.html

The link is not working.

jrtorrents:

Ghanaian govenrmnet does same and its a problem for you guys. I only gave those links to substantiate what I was saying.

You dont seem to get the position of some of us i.e we , on both sides and for the sake of greater progress, should all criticise what is wrong consistently and shun tit-for-tat actions . I don't have time to justify my country's wrongful action with the excuse that similar has been done to us. Entrenched attitude and its consequent actions are some of the reasons we all remain underdeveloped. Have a nice day.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by jrtorrents: 2:33pm On Oct 09, 2009
Gbawe this is the story

Accra, Ghana - Ghana is protesting a unila teral decision of the Nigerian government to ban some Ghanaian products from their market saying it is not in the interest of the two West African states.

Vice President John Mahama on Friday told the Nigerian High Commissioner in Ghana, Musiliu Obanikoro, that the Nigerian decision was not good for trade relations and there was the need for dialogue to resolve the snag.

'It is not in the interest of our trade relations,' the Vice President said, and asked for urgent mechanisms to verify the breaches and take remedial actions to resolve the matter.

Vice President Mahama said a provision in the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Commission Protocol on trade stipulated that items being exported from one member state to another should have 60 per cent local content.

However, when there are apprehensions of breaches, verifications should be sought rather than the resort to slapping unilateral embargoes on products.

He said the Ghanaian business community was unhappy that whereas Nigerian products were flooding the Ghanaian market, those of Ghana had been debarred from that country.

Vice President Mahama called for further deepening of trade relations between the two countries pointing out that whereas trade volume between them is only eight per cent, trade with other countries was booming.

Obanikoro paid a courtesy call on the Vice President to discuss trade issues with the Ghana government and how deepening economic relations between Ghana, Togo, Benin and Nigeria can help change the image of underdevelopment in the sub-region.

He also solicited the Vice President's support to rope in Togo and Benin into the joint Ghana-Nigeria Business Summit platform scheduled for Accra from 5-7 October.

Obaniko0ro expressed the hope that deepening trade relations among West African countries will help grow their respective economies and bolster job creation efforts.

Accra - 19/09/2009

Pana
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by rethink: 2:42pm On Oct 09, 2009
@jrtorrent

I have given the reason for the $300,000

1) If traders mainly from the east of Nigeria sold the good s at the same price the Ghana union of traders association would not have a problem
2) The GUTA want the foreigners to be in the wholesale trade and leave the retails trade for Ghanaians
3) Just as you have Mr Price , shoprite and so on you only want foreigners to partake in that large scale type of business

i wish nigerians can see what they want for their country and there is nothing wrong with that.

We should also be doing this where no foreigner can own a taxi company in nigeria because that i think is the equivalent market.

If you want to be more pragmatic

1) To work in a construction company you must have 50 million dollar capitalisation as a foreigner( alot of Ghanaians in Nigeria will be out of work)
2) To sell in Nigeria Citize3n must have a capitalisation of $30,000 for Nigerians and $500,000 for non nigerians
3)  To run a transport service in any city you must have 200 buses and capital base of 5 million dollar

power without control is waste.

There is nothing wrong with what ghana is doing. but the reason behind it is the problem.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by sherrylo: 2:56pm On Oct 09, 2009
I hope Ghanaians know that there are many Ghanaians in Nigeria and that for every action there is going to be a reaction. Two of our sales boys are Ghanaians oh.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Buhari Is Surrounded By Thieves - Patrick Liuumba, Kenyan Law Professor / Flavour Of Africa Concert In Awka (Photos & Video) / 2018 Budget: We Will Blow Up Your Properties – Militants Threat Senators, Reps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.