Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,530 members, 7,968,495 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 08:25 AM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (243) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4537486 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (240) (241) (242) (243) (244) (245) (246) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:21pm On May 10, 2013
snydergp:

What are whites controlling because just last week a report was released showing that there are now more blacks middle class citizens then whites in SA. That situation has long turned the corner my friend. The biggest public investment pension fund in SA which has almost $800bn in under its control, 90% of its investors are black.

The issue here is trade is contributing to Cameroons economy and 58bn CFA's aren't cheap money. Stop arguing like a child.

The difference is SA's currency isn't pegged to any EU state, it is independent.
Look at who is talking about white controlling Cameroonian economy when we all know that SA is over 90% controlled by the whites. Please, stop acting as though your country is in a position to question Cameroonian economy. Look at the economy situation of your country first before coming here to make bogus assertion about others, like in this your comment regarding Cameroonian's. At the moment Cameroonians controlled their economy unlike South African blacks who are given the meager penny and crumbs to eat. Hehehe.... cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:27pm On May 10, 2013
I hope Nigeria purchase some modern ballistic missiles and warheads as South Africa is trying to threaten other smaller nations in Africa with their economy and meager military might.

We should not removed chemical, biological and nuclear weapons from the table when planning for upgrading our military weapons. SA is a rouge state that must be cautioned with all means possible. And, we shouldn't fold our arms and watch why they keep intimidating smaller African nations.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 3:35pm On May 10, 2013
all4naija: I hope Nigeria purchase some modern ballistic missiles and warheads as South Africa is trying to threaten other smaller nations in Africa with their economy and meager military might.

We should not removed chemical, biological and nuclear weapons from the table when planning for upgrading our military weapons. SA is a rouge state that must be cautioned with all means possible. And, we shouldn't fold our arms and watch why they keep intimidating smaller African nations.

Unless they nucklear they a waist of money. Any case what country have we threanted. Name just one country.

Nucklear wepaons are banded from africa. Chemical and bilogcal are only a threat to civlians. And most are banded. In short not going to happen.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:45pm On May 10, 2013
agaugust:

...one million whites left south africa because they know the future is no longer bright...$40 billion external debt,
unemployment 13 million people out of 50 million population, economic time bomb.

now foolishness is your persona

Most of the depths in SA is due to capital expansion programs from goverment company a typical example would be ESKOM with a $750bn expansion program over 8years and Transet witha $1Trillion expansion over a 6years.

Nigeria don't have the same amount of capital programs compared to SA and that's a Fact. Nigeria can't even produce 10000MW a day yet it wants to compare it to a nation which has a power expansion program that will yield more then 9000MW in just 3 years and a plans to commission 3 Nuclear plants before 2025. There's just no comparison between the two, so please when you make stu*p*id assessments take all things and economics into question.

SA didn't go the privatization route which the IMF and World Bank advocated like Nigeria has because of social issues attached to this, did place SA into a different trajectory/growthpath compared to Nigeria and that's a verifiable fact.

This $40bn nonsense is something that the BH state is neither here ot there.tongue
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:54pm On May 10, 2013
andrewza:

Unless they nucklear they a waist of money. Any case what country have we threanted. Name just one country.

Nucklear wepaons are banded from africa. Chemical and bilogcal are only a threat to civlians. And most are banded. In short not going to happen.

In Mozambique,trying to take over all the economy affairs with punitive measures of overshadowing that country will huge investment and thereby taking over indirect country of the certain part of the policies and politic. Also in Zimbabwe, the reason why Mugabe remained in position is due to SA support and that has had a terrible impact on the people who later flood SA with illegal immigrants who are being attacked on daily bases. Few were burnt alive in the xenophobic incidence of the past. In the recent CAR situation, it is very clear the reason why SA was in CAR was more of economy interest than to create peace which they accused France of. I can go on and on.

They are even using Ghana as a puppet state to attack Nigerians investment in Accra. It is clear the Ghanaians are fond of worshiping SA a$$ for fear of its huge development and influence it has over that country. I know they will eat their sh*ts for supporting African imperialistic nation of SA to attack Nigerian investment.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:01pm On May 10, 2013
snydergp:

now foolishness is your persona

Most of the depths in SA is due to capital expansion programs from goverment company a typical example would be ESKOM with a $750bn expansion program over 8years and Transet witha $1Trillion expansion over a 6years.

Nigeria don't have the same amount of capital programs compared to SA and that's a Fact. Nigeria can't even produce 10000MW a day yet it wants to compare it to a nation which has a power expansion program that will yield more then 9000MW in just 3 years and a plans to commission 3 Nuclear plants before 2025. There's just no comparison between the two, so please when you make stu*p*id assessments take all things and economics into question.

SA didn't go the privatization route which the IMF and World Bank advocated like Nigeria has because of social issues attached to this, did place SA into a different trajectory/growthpath compared to Nigeria and that's a verifiable fact.

This $40bn nonsense is something that the BH state is neither here ot there.tongue
Stop alluding to this your baseless and refuted information you are passing across in this forum. What makes you think Nigeria doesn't have a plan for its power? You keep making bogus comment here as though Nigeria is not doing anything about the power generation capacity.

There is no $1 trillion expansion project in all of SA. You are fond of lying about what is happening in your one-eye-nation-of-Africa without evidences. It is easy to make a point without facts to support it and that is what you are doing here with this your comment.

We know you very well and most South Africans to be braggarts and are good in posting bogus data.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 4:02pm On May 10, 2013
all4naija: In Mozambique,trying to take over all the economy affairs with punitive measures of overshadowing that country will huge investment and thereby taking over indirect country of the certain part of the policies and politic. Also in Zimbabwe, the reason why Mugabe remained in position is due to SA support and that has had a terrible impact on the people who later flood SA with illegal immigrants who are being attacked on daily bases. Few were burnt alive in the xenophobic incidence of the past. In the recent CAR situation, it is very clear the reason why SA was in CAR was more of economy interest than to create peace which they accused France of. I can go on and on.

They are even using Ghana as a puppet state to attack Nigerians investment in Accra. It is clear the Ghanaians are fond of worshiping SA a$$ for fear of its huge development and influence it has over that country. I know they will eat their sh*ts for supporting African imperialistic nation of SA to attack Nigerian investment.

Mozimbique is a close ally of SA. And they enjoy a lot more from the deal than SA.

Mugaby may be a racit anglo phobe but he dose enjoy a lot of real support from zibweans. Harsh acstions will not remove hime from power only cause suffring among the poor in zimbawe. And thuse problems for sa. The xenophibic acstion by people in SA was not goverment poliece.

We where asked by the leadship of CAR to set up those economic deals. They wanted it. Most bussines in SA where not intristed in CAR. Hence a lot of goverment contoled or freindly companys where in CAR.

Again show one country.

That foolish. SA wants a strong nigeria. We have far more to gain from a strong nigeria than a weak one. Remember over 100 companys from SA do bussnies in nigeria. Though that was before the new deals we have just sighed.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 4:12pm On May 10, 2013
http://itweb.co.za/mobilesite/defenceweb/home/item_id-30430/

SAN is recomisiong and upgrading all 4(from 2) of her warroi strike craft. They will be in servis for at least 5 years.

The upgrade will remove the aft 76mm at place 2 quike launch boats there. And repia/replace all elctroincs and mechnical parts. Along with hull maintaince.

Sa operated 9 strike craft 3 built in isreal and 6 built in SA. Only 4 remian. The rest sunk has targets. They no long carrir missiels since the skerpion have all been used up (missile have a expire date) and the excocsent has not been intrgrated. Though there current role has OPV makes it not needed.

Removing the aft 76mm frees up space for boarding boats and teams. Current wepaons are.
1 76mm
2 20mm
2 12.7mm
A number of 7.62mm moutings. They have a low profile(they small basicaly) and high top speed. All so pack more than enough fire power with that 76mm.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:19pm On May 10, 2013
andrewza: http://itweb.co.za/mobilesite/defenceweb/home/item_id-30430/

SAN is recomisiong and upgrading all 4(from 2) of her warroi strike craft. They will be in servis for at least 5 years.

The upgrade will remove the aft 76mm at place 2 quike launch boats there. And repia/replace all elctroincs and mechnical parts. Along with hull maintaince.

Sa operated 9 strike craft 3 built in isreal and 6 built in SA. Only 4 remian. The rest sunk has targets. They no long carrir missiels since the skerpion have all been used up (missile have a expire date) and the excocsent has not been intrgrated. Though there current role has OPV makes it not needed.

Removing the aft 76mm frees up space for boarding boats and teams. Current wepaons are.
1 76mm
2 20mm
2 12.7mm
A number of 7.62mm moutings. They have a low profile(they small basicaly) and high top speed. All so pack more than enough fire power with that 76mm.

Good for the fighters upgrade. But, those weapons have no good precision. They are dropped in areas thought to be infiltrated and can cause high collateral damages. I would opt for any nation to upgrade such weapons in this modern time than rely on them for use.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 4:39pm On May 10, 2013
all4naija: Good for the fighters upgrade. But, those weapons have no good precision. They are dropped in areas thought to be infiltrated and can cause high collateral damages. I would opt for any nation to upgrade such weapons in this modern time than rely on them for use.

What do you mean they not accurate? Has long has you fire in your effectv range you good to go.

And when used against other ship or boats it is radar guided.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by sithwell: 5:09pm On May 10, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

We share the same views.

I was pointing to andrewza that Botswana is not compelled to b loyal to SA and wouldn't mind taking military advantage on them. Even if it means opening an American base in Botswana.

The problem with American bases is they are easy targets for American enemies, since they can strike the USA directly.

Fair comment. If they feel they'd be better served in that way, yes. But I point out that the Batswana wouldn't disadvantage themselves, just to take the military advantage away from SA. If this meets their needs, sure, they'll do it.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:22pm On May 10, 2013
andrewza:

What do you mean they not accurate? Has long has you fire in your effectv range you good to go.

And when used against other ship or boats it is radar guided.
These weapons weakness is the precision problem. Even at the point of them being under the radar guide they are still not in a position to hit targets with accurate precision. Before hitting target the object might have move some distance away from there thereby destroying what it is not meant for. When have seen this happened in Iraq war and other where innocent people were murdered for the large of the these weapons precision. If you are going to purchased a weapons for your fighters go for Small Diameter bombs with a good precision.

Image of Small diameter bomb

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:28pm On May 10, 2013
sithwell:

Assuming you're right, it doesn't matter what historical factors contribute towards a country's development. What matters is what a country does to conserve and improve on the gains made, today.
Are the black South Africans really doing that in that society while attacking innocent people on the streets?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by sithwell: 6:11pm On May 10, 2013
all4naija: Are the black South Africans really doing that in that society while attacking innocent people on the streets?

I'm black and I attack no one. So are my friends, family and colleagues. As soon as it becomes difficult to discredit South Africa, the subject turns to black vs white. We've gone through this many times. Besides, current governmental efforts in South Africa today can hardly be described as "white".

You yourself argue that Nigeria is diverse. Following that line of thinking, must we now discredit Nigeria based on what the different tribes are doing, or not doing? Makes no sense.

Nigeria is being judged by us, based on what the country is doing. It's no concern of ours whether or not the Igbos or the Yoruba are leading the charges.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 6:15pm On May 10, 2013
all4naija: These weapons weakness is the precision problem. Even at the point of them being under the radar guide they are still not in a position to hit targets with accurate precision. Before hitting target the object might have move some distance away from there thereby destroying what it is not meant for. When have seen this happened in Iraq war and other where innocent people were murdered for the large of the these weapons precision. If you are going to purchased a weapons for your fighters go for Small Diameter bombs with a good precision.

Image of Small diameter bomb

They accuret enough for the job.

Guided rounds are very expensive. They not main stream even in america. Any case it there are pression in sandf. But the opv don't need any. Not for there role
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by sithwell: 6:43pm On May 10, 2013
all4naija: How have I been proven wrong on SA economic matters in the forum time and time again? You are just good in arguing for argument sake. The very fact remains the whites you are accusing of controlling Cameroonian economy are over 90% controlling yours that you are trying to exonerate here. Please, spare me this your hyperventilating which is not required of you in whatsoever way.

South Africa officially states that there is racial inequality in the economy. So, there's nothing new or hidden there. That said, the fact remains that the whites are South Africans too. Leaving your 90% figure aside - as long as South Africa sticks to its programme of transformation, there is no need to worry. Particularly given the progress that is being made. I myself am a proud product of the transformation programme.

What matters is that South Africa keeps moving forward, notwithstanding the desire to argue otherwise.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 7:21pm On May 10, 2013
http://m.allafrica.com/stories/201305030753.html/?maneref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DSANDF%26hl%3Den%26gl%3Dus%26tbm%3Dnws%26ei%3D-zaNUeTHGOmW0AWApYDwCA%26start%3D20%26sa%3DN

On 30 April 2013 members of the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) who were conducting standing patrolling duties at Poppalin Ranch next to Malala Drift on Zimbabwe and RSA border, saw a suspicious group of people carrying boxes.

At seeing the soldiers they decided to run away. After warning shot fired, a box of cigarettes was dropped off and one of the suspects was arrested. The suspect, who was in possession of R13 780,00, tried in vain to bribe SANDF member offering him R13 000, 00 for his freedom.

The SANDF confiscated 1700 cartons of cigarettes to the value of R219 300.00. Each carton contains 10 packets of cigarettes. The suspect from Zimbabwe was handed over to the Musina South African Police Service (SAPS).
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:49pm On May 10, 2013
sithwell:

I'm black and I attack no one. So are my friends, family and colleagues. As soon as it becomes difficult to discredit South Africa, the subject turns to black vs white. We've gone through this many times. Besides, current governmental efforts in South Africa today can hardly be described as "white".

You yourself argue that Nigeria is diverse. Following that line of thinking, must we now discredit Nigeria based on what the different tribes are doing, or not doing? Makes no sense.

Nigeria is being judged by us, based on what the country is doing. It's no concern of ours whether or not the Igbos or the Yoruba are leading the charges.
grin grin grin. I almost laughed myself dropping down on the floor. The argument is beyond merely removing yourself, your family and friends from the victimization of innocent African immigrants in your country. You forget to state that those numbers can hardly make any different in such a huge population as the South African. This is like saying we should forget about the problem while it lingers. That is not a way to go as being a product of that society you are very confident to speak about. If not you must do something to find solution. Or else you are not taking your responsibility with pride as usual(excuse me for saying that).

What has diversity got to do with animosity and channeling attacks toward innocent African people on the streets? You are good with conjuring words to fit the situation as though they will find solution at the face of problems. I don't buy into using mind words to hide the truth of the matter, which is South Africans are attacking innocent Africans on the streets and must be stopped.

Using Nigeria as an example is not always required of you. It might well served your interest to know that it's not an explanation for what is happening in your society. They are two different nations with different people, policy, ideology, etc. Indeed, your explanation didn't represent anything like diversity which has to do with different culture as against any hostility we see in your people. The hostility we've seen against others who are visiting and living in your society.

This I think might extend to your military in the future and makes it more vulnerable to defeat, as we have seen in CAR. That is, looking at it from a broader perspective.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 7:58pm On May 10, 2013
sithwell:

South Africa officially states that there is racial inequality in the economy. So, there's nothing new or hidden there. That said, the fact remains that the whites are South Africans too. Leaving your 90% figure aside - as long as South Africa sticks to its programme of transformation, there is no need to worry. Particularly given the progress that is being made. I myself am a proud product of the transformation programme.

What matters is that South Africa keeps moving forward, notwithstanding the desire to argue otherwise.
I never said either, that there is anything new or hidden about it than your fellow South African accusing Cameroonian economy being run by whites. The bone of contention here is that he is mocking Cameroon of trading with France than trading with perhaps SA. It is laughable to see how many of your people are quick to point accusing fingers and forgetting the make-up their society.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by sithwell: 8:29pm On May 10, 2013
all4naija: I never said either, that there is anything new or hidden about it than your fellow South African accusing Cameroonian economy being run by whites. The bone of contention here is that he is mocking Cameroon of trading with France than trading with perhaps SA. It is laughable to see how many of your people are quick to point accusing fingers and forgetting the make-up their society.

But you see, this is exactly what I am trying to address. He is mocking Cameroon on trading with France (rightly or wrongly, I don't care).

You respond by saying SA is run by whites, as if whites aren't South African.

Rather deal with whether or not the SA economy is run by foreigners, like the Cameroonian one is argued to be.

Then the two of you will be speaking the same language.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by sithwell: 8:31pm On May 10, 2013
all4naija: grin grin grin. I almost laughed myself dropping down on the floor. The argument is beyond merely removing yourself, your family and friends from the victimization of innocent African immigrants in your country. You forget to state that those numbers can hardly make any different in such a huge population as the South African. This is like saying we should forget about the problem while it lingers. That is not a way to go as being a product of that society you are very confident to speak about. If not you must do something to find solution. Or else you are not taking your responsibility with pride as usual(excuse me for saying that).

What has diversity got to do with animosity and channeling attacks toward innocent African people on the streets? You are good with conjuring words to fit the situation as though they will find solution at the face of problems. I don't buy into using mind words to hide the truth of the matter, which is South Africans are attacking innocent Africans on the streets and must be stopped.

Using Nigeria as an example is not always required of you. It might well served your interest to know that it's not an explanation for what is happening in your society. They are two different nations with different people, policy, ideology, etc. Indeed, your explanation didn't represent anything like diversity which has to do with different culture as against any hostility we see in your people. The hostility we've seen against others who are visiting and living in your society.

This I think might extend to your military in the future and makes it more vulnerable to defeat, as we have seen in CAR. That is, looking at it from a broader perspective.

It's very simple All4Naija. You seem to think that race is the only way to look at people. Well, it isn't. Class is sometimes the best way to do that. Especially when it comes to the Xenophobia that was experienced in SA in 2008. The fact that I am black and I attack no one means that blackness is not the issue. Social class is. You can't expect that an educated black South Africa will attack "innocent people" in the street, as you put it. What will happen is that foreigners and South Africans of the same social class (read lower) will clash for reasons explained by looking at the South African context. That understanding is the beginning of finding a solution (assuming one is required in the first place).

Many educated Nigerians in South Africa have never been discriminated against. I know a significant number. So, laugh if you want to, but once you're done with that, come up with another argument, which is not as myopic as your obsessive race argument.

Using Nigeria as an example is perfectly apt. This is a nation-to-nation debate. Therefore, when we as South Africans look at Nigeria, we do not care whether it is the Igbo or the Yoruba that are more active in your society. We care only about how Nigeria is performing. By the same token, it is irrelevant whether white South Africans or black South Africans are more active in SA. Not for the purposes of this debate, anyway. What matters is how South Africa performs, relative to Nigeria.

Whenever you guys get stuck on the nation-to-nation argument, you resort to the race argument. Well, if you want to do that, then let us talk Nigerian tribes and see where that leads to.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 8:50pm On May 10, 2013
sithwell:

But you see, this is exactly what I am trying to address. He is mocking Cameroon on trading with France (rightly or wrongly, I don't care).

You respond by saying SA is run by whites, as if whites aren't South African.

Rather deal with whether or not the SA economy is run by foreigners, like the Cameroonian one is argued to be.

Then the two of you will be speaking the same language.
How are we speaking the same language? You refused to get it. I am pointing to the very reason why it is wrong him to be accusing others of what is happening right at his own nose.

We are not using the same language. I am correcting him of his views on Cameroonian economy rather than accusing him. That is the fact of the matter.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 9:15pm On May 10, 2013
sithwell:

It's very simple All4Naija. You seem to think that race is the only way to look at people. Well, it isn't. Class is sometimes the best way to do that. Especially when it comes to the Xenophobia that was experienced in SA in 2008. The fact that I am black and I attack no one means that blackness is not the issue. Social class is. You can't expect that an educated black South Africa will attack "innocent people" in the street, as you put it. What will happen is that foreigners and South Africans of the same social class (read lower) will clash for reasons explained by looking at the South African context. That understanding is the beginning of finding a solution (assuming one is required in the first place).

Many educated Nigerians in South Africa have never been discriminated against. I know a significant number. So, laugh if you want to, but once you're done with that, come up with another argument, which is not as myopic as your obsessive race argument.

Using Nigeria as an example is perfectly apt. This is a nation-to-nation debate. Therefore, when we as South Africans look at Nigeria, we do not care whether it is the Igbo or the Yoruba that are more active in your society. We care only about how Nigeria is performing. By the same token, it is irrelevant whether white South Africans or black South Africans are more active in SA. Not for the purposes of this debate, anyway. What matters is how South Africa performs, relative to Nigeria.

Whenever you guys get stuck on the nation-to-nation argument, you resort to the race argument. Well, if you want to do that, then let us talk Nigerian tribes and see where that leads to.
I intended not to reply to this comment as you are now trying to charge me of racism which is not what I am talking about. If you see it that way there is nothing wrong about that at all. It is wise of you to know what the reality on ground is happening in your country.And, people will be quick to see that from this your comment.

Many educated Nigerians are not attacked assertion by your says something about your stance to exonerate your country of its crimes against the INNOCENT people, if you are going about the innocent in a more obvious means. I would let you know here that a visiting Wole Soyinka a reputable Noble Prize Winner in literature was once intentionally almost molested in his hotel room in your country. There are many others who have attested to this type of common attack carried out by your people. It is very frustrating to be explaining this over and over again.

No, I said! I said it is not required of you unless you are going about it with an ulterior motive to make your country see as the envy of others(as many of your people have been hammering upon). The problems is happening in your society that affects innocent people. How Nigeria can be used as comparison to justify the problems is still something I can not seem to figure out. I would be interested if you can explain better with evidences.

Thank you.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 9:17pm On May 10, 2013
I still think SA military capability is overrated. It will be difficult for them to defeat a country like Angola when it comes to war, a conventional war for that matter.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 9:43pm On May 10, 2013
all4naija: I still think SA military capability is overrated. It will be difficult for them to defeat a country like Angola when it comes to war, a conventional war for that matter.

With no cuba(and more importantlu ussr montary support) around it will not be hard to beat angola. Any case angola is a close ally

There is this littel problem though concerning the sandf. It set up for internal defense only. But this is not the case. The sandf is been stretched to thin. It has very littel room to move in. The sandf can only maintain 1 brigade(or 3000 troops) on forghin deployments. Any more and we can not do a proper rotastion, keep supplied, pay allwances for. We have around 3000 deployed.

We can only maintain a max of 1 ship 90% of the year for anti piracy. The frigats where all so never ment to work that hard. We all ready had to replace one engine(not a easy task mind you).

This is down to the 1998 white paper on defense and corrsponding 1999 defense review. Though the 2012 deffense review dose fix most of the problems. It was unfornatly delayied when a new defense minster took over, then by CAR and lastly DRC. Though it is now finaly before cabnet after Zuma sighend of on it.

But even with all our problems I still rate us the most profisniol milltary in africa, best trained in africa, best equipent in africa and with the best support sytem in africa. Only in size are we beaten.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by sithwell: 9:52pm On May 10, 2013
all4naija: I intended not to reply to this comment as you are now trying to charge me of racism which is not what I am talking about. If you see it that way there is nothing wrong about that at all. It is wise of you to know what the reality on ground is happening in your country.And, people will be quick to see that from this your comment.

Many educated Nigerians are not attacked assertion by your says something about your stance to exonerate your country of its crimes against the INNOCENT people, if you are going about the innocent in a more obvious means. I would let you know here that a visiting Wole Soyinka a reputable Noble Prize Winner in literature was once intentionally almost molested in his hotel room in your country. There are many others who have attested to this type of common attack carried out by your people. It is very frustrating to be explaining this over and over again.

No, I said! I said it is not required of you unless you are going about it with an ulterior motive to make your country see as the envy of others(as many of your people have been hammering upon). The problems is happening in your society that affects innocent people. How Nigeria can be used as comparison to justify the problems is still something I can not seem to figure out. I would be interested if you can explain better with evidences.

Thank you.

Firstly, I said your argument is obsessive on issues of race. That is not to say you're racist. It's to say that you see race as the only perspective from which South African society can be understood. You asked: "But is this what black South Africans are doing, other than attacking innocent people in the street". That's a race-based argument; and you cannot now distance yourself from your racial views and claim to be unfairly accused of racism. Being defensive will not change what you said.

Secondly, no one is trying to justify anything. What is happening here is that Nigeria will be judged by the same standards that you want to use on SA. If you want to separate South Africans on racial lines, then we will separate Nigerians on tribal lines.

Thirdly, there isn't a single instance where i said there is no xenophobia in SA. There was unjustifiable xenophobic violence in SA in 2008; and there will be many xenophobic people still. However, this is an issue of social class; and not race. Once you understand that, you will not say things like: "But is this what black South Africans are doing, other than attacking innocent people in the street"?

There are many black South Africans in SA there have never been involved in such, I being one of them. There are many black people that contribute positively in SA, I being one of them.

Wole Soyinka and many others in SA will be affected by crime, just like else everyone is. But not necessarily xenophobia. There's no special treatment reserved for Nigerians in SA, such that everything that happens to a Nigerian is xenophobia. Crime happens in SA. That it happens to a Nigerian sometimes is of no consequence.

When you talk about xenophobia in SA, talk about social class. Don't talk about "black people", because not all black people are the same.

Putting all South African black people in one bucket is not only is it myopic. But It's unnecessary and is only used whenever it becomes difficult to argue with a South African on the positives that come out the country.

Racism is not the accusation. Myopia is.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by paniki(m): 10:02pm On May 10, 2013
Sithwell please leave all4naija. He is not the first Nigerian green-eyed monster and I'm certain that he is not the last. I've debating this type of envious Nigerian before, they begrudgingly accept that SA is better but to not feel outdone they attribute South Africa's success to whites. What I have done is to agree with them that whites built most of what is now modern day South Africa, however I state that South Africa's current development is conceptualised and implemented by blacks. I then directed them to many achievements done by a black people, in collaboration with whites.

Just agree with all4naija and leave him. If black South Africans conducted their affairs like Nigerians, then probably South Africa would be just like Nigeria considering that whites also built Nigeria although Nigerians have let whitemans work go to ruins. What should be embarrassing to every Nigerian is that it took white man to find their oil, but they have since allowed whites to "steal" their oil while leaving them with crumbs that get looted by corrupt officials. That is the major difference that I don't expect all4naija to grasp, the difference being that all the mineral wealth in South Africa and Nigeria was uncovered by whites; that all the infrastructure in South Africa and Nigeria was built by whites; but in SA's case after black takeover the black government made sure that black people have a share in all mineral wealth extracted and that inherited infrastructure is maintained and expanded. It would be foolish to attribute a project like the Gautrain to whites only because this is world-class highspeed rail infrastructure that was built a few years ago and only fully launched last year. All4naija will look at this and other new infrastructure and then enviously say that it's all white mans magic.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Mbuisi(m): 10:13pm On May 10, 2013
all4naija: I still think SA military capability is overrated. It will be difficult for them to defeat a country like Angola when it comes to war, a conventional war for that matter.

On the same token Nigerian Army is overrated. They suffered the most embarrassing moment of the worst order in their home soil. Soldiers can lose the war thousands of kilometres away from the borders of their country, surely that is understandable, but not in their backyard. It is very heart throbbing to point it out to you that now recently somewhere around this week, Nigerian militants were sent packing right in their barracks by just about 200 heavily armed insurgents. The insurgents proceeded on with their offensive and burn the army barracks, police station and hijack the prison where they even freed over hundred prisoners. What does that tell you? The Nigerian national security is badly dented and surely, no matter how poor Kenya may be, that will never happen in our home soil, including in SA. Your home must be the place where you rule with an iron fist.

(1) (2) (3) ... (240) (241) (242) (243) (244) (245) (246) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.