Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,020 members, 7,903,269 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 July 2024 at 09:18 AM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (248) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4493748 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Mbuisi(m): 6:37am On May 12, 2013
Here is another proof that SA fought Britain in two different eras for which in the first war SA won and lost in the second battle a century later due to Britain alliance with Australia and New Zealand.

The South African War was fought between Britain and the self-governing Afrikaner (Boer) colonies of the South African Republic (the Transvaal) and the Orange Free State. (At the outbreak of war, Britain ruled the South African colonies of the Cape and Natal).

The war began on October 11 1899, following a Boer ultimatum that the British should cease building up their forces in the region. The Boers had refused to grant political rights to non-Boer settlers, known as Uitlanders, most of whom were British, or to grant civil rights to Africans. Perhaps more important was the underlying question of control over the gold mines of the Transvaal at a time when the international financial system, and the stability of the British pound, was based on the gold standard. The war was also about Britain's control of South Africa and therefore its 'great power' status

For further reading
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pathways/census/events/britain5.htm

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_Wars_(1879–1915)

http://www.google.com/search?client=ms-rim&hl=en&q=South%20Africa%20in%20war%20with%20Britain&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&channel=browser
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by sithwell: 7:38am On May 12, 2013
Mbuisi:

Independence means freedom of the country from colonialism by another country. So, according to you South Africa only became independent in 1991 after apartheid, meaning SA was colonised by Afrikaners who were also recognised as South Africans. This is crazy, is the any possibility that Zulus or Xhosas can colonise South Africa if they are citizens of SA.

For your information, SA under apartheid was independent from Britain, hence it was called Republic of South Africa. Another example will be that of Namibia which became independent in 1990 from South Africa which colonised it then.

It's clear now why Nigerians like all4Naija speak as if white South Africans aren't South African. They are confused about the relationship between independence, the lack of democracy and nationhood. grin

Funnily, All4Naija is not the only Nigerian that is confused by these basic concepts. Have a look at this tweet by a Nigerian, Adesanya Peter Ayo, who suffers from the same lack of understanding.

It must be something they are taught in school.

Goodnight my people. Catch you when the sun rises on my side. Happy "foruming".

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Mbuisi(m): 7:46am On May 12, 2013
sithwell:

It's clear now why Nigerians like all4Naija speak as if white South Africans aren't South African. They are confused about the relationship between independence, the lack of democracy and nationhood. grin

Funnily, All4Naija is not the only Nigerian that is confused by these basic concepts. Have a look at this tweet by a Nigerian, Adesanya Peter Ayo, who suffers from the same lack of understanding.

That's what we call illiteracy of the highest order. It is evident that Nigerian teachers are not doing their job properly.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Mbuisi(m): 8:00am On May 12, 2013
Independence= freedom of one country from being a colony of another country.

Freedom= relief of one group of society from oppression by another group within the same country.

We must undo the brainwashing that Nigerian teachers have impacted on the innocent brains of those young boys.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Capnd143(m): 10:50am On May 12, 2013
Mbuisi: Independence= freedom of one country from being a colony of another country.

Freedom= relief of one group of society from oppression by another group within the same country.

We must undo the brainwashing that Nigerian teachers have impacted on the innocent brains of those young boys.
go get a life bro! In a WAR BETWEEN nigeria and SA, though i must confess SA have a bit more advanced weaponry than we do, but surely nigeria army will outpower them given its operational capability,weaponry,training and experience! Do you expect a soldier that has been staying inactively in barracks for decades with only training simulations to defeat war hardened battalions of men who have been actively involved in COIN operations(anti boko haram forces), Marine warfare(anti camerounian gendames forces in bakassi), Naval battle(anti militancy in niger delta), Piracy war(anti piracy troops in gulf of guinea)etc as well as somalian,seria leonian,liberian,sudanese war veterans ?
Get a life bro!
--
the funniest part is we are here busy talking of war when the two countries are making more economic,military and political alliances everyday! LOL
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 11:09am On May 12, 2013
Capnd143: go get a life bro! In a WAR BETWEEN nigeria and SA, though i must confess SA have a bit more advanced weaponry than we do, but surely nigeria army will outpower them given its operational capability,weaponry,training and experience! Do you expect a soldier that has been staying inactively in barracks for decades with only training simulations to defeat war hardened battalions of men who have been actively involved in COIN operations(anti boko haram forces), Marine warfare(anti camerounian gendames forces in bakassi), Naval battle(anti militancy in niger delta), Piracy war(anti piracy troops in gulf of guinea)etc as well as somalian,seria leonian,liberian,sudanese war veterans ?
Get a life bro!
--
the funniest part is we are here busy talking of war when the two countries are making more economic,military and political alliances everyday! LOL

what opersnatiol caperbielty dose nigeria have over SA

most of Nigerias armend forces wepaonry is either no better than SA (and are not in highnumbers(BTR3)) or out classed and in some cases outdated.

how do you assume Nigerias army is better trained. and i have point out that the experiance thing is rubish.

SA forces are not siting in barraks doing nothing. far from it the SANDF is over streched. Up to 3000 deployed over seas for peace keeping/peacmaking and and anti piracy. there all so border patrol and internal operstions. All so COIN war will not prepair you for a high tech convstionl enemy. Can BH jam all your raidos, do they have means to fire long range presion guided wepaons, do they have AFV, extra.

and you have not done well in anti piracy. West africa has a steady increase well the east coast is slowly getting safer.

i have no thought that Nigeria and SA will not go to war with each other.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Mbuisi(m): 11:36am On May 12, 2013
Capnd143: go get a life bro! In a WAR BETWEEN nigeria and SA, though i must confess SA have a bit more advanced weaponry than we do, but surely nigeria army will outpower them given its operational capability,weaponry,training and experience! Do you expect a soldier that has been staying inactively in barracks for decades with only training simulations to defeat war hardened battalions of men who have been actively involved in COIN operations(anti boko haram forces), Marine warfare(anti camerounian gendames forces in bakassi), Naval battle(anti militancy in niger delta), Piracy war(anti piracy troops in gulf of guinea)etc as well as somalian,seria leonian,liberian,sudanese war veterans ?
Get a life bro!
--

My friend you seem to forget that rebels do not have heavy artillery, Air strike capability, stealth, sub marines, fighter jets, Gunships, Chemical and biological warfare expetise, etc. Rebels lack a lot in the aforementioned areas due to their financial constraints and it is no secret that Nigeria has never been tested in that respect. So allowing Nigeria to fight a country with such capability it will be like letting my son to wrestle with the big show in a wrestling match.

Do not reduce the prowess of one country's military to that of a mere rebels or insurgents. I warn you !! You will have the tough going my friend and that will be completely new and unaccustomed war scenario to your so called strongest army on the continent.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 11:50am On May 12, 2013
sithwell:

What more can I say? That you are very funny as the person your responded to. I don't even take your comment serious any more. The truth is that there are equaling people like you who refuse to understand the reality of your society coming to this forum all the time. Who keep shelving the truth just to feel good. I have said a lot about what is happening in your society with evidences pointing to them as they are, and you refused to accept them due to your lack of telling the truth.

Please, this your comment doesn't make any different in any way nor will it deter me from saying things the way they are. You are quick to support your colleague's comment, when he keeps shunning out wrong information about your history. It is a shame you agree with somebody who said your country had independence when Apartheid began. A person with little or no information about your history. This is somebody who almost claimed to be a South African initially. I have a lot of those claims here only to be fooled and quickly accept their countries of origin.

To conclude it all. The Shakar war resulted in the lost of about 2 million people which was not a modern war as such and how that is a test for your military is still beyond me. The second Boer war was more or less a war fought by the British and the Afrikaan in the then Transvaal Republic that was incorporated into British empire(the Brits won). Those kinds of wars were fought in many countries around the world and can never be used to test the capability of any country military in this present time. A century past wars cannot be used to test your country military power. That is an absolute fact. The British dominating power to annex many countries was meant with different wars around the world and in Africa. It happened in a small scale in Ghana, between Ashante and the British also in Nigerian between the Benin empire and the British Empire. It is clear your colleague has no argument here. He is just dabbing into what he cannot comprehend about national military capability that has been tested.

It is a shame you are supporting such view for the simple reason to exonerate your country in its failure to meet up to its fraudulent militarization. Using the same soldiers who were chased out by child rebels in CAR and flaunt to other African nations.

Indeed, you are beginning to be seen as not intellectually sound as thought. That I would say is a thing not good for educated Africans.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Mbuisi(m): 12:03pm On May 12, 2013
all4naija: What more can I say? That you are very funny as the person your responded to. I don't even take your comment serious any more. The truth is that there are equaling people like you who refuse to understand the reality of your society coming to this forum all the time. Who keep shelving the truth just to feel good. I have said a lot about what is happening in your society with evidences pointing to them as the are, and you refused to accept them due to your lack of telling the truth.

Please, this your comment doesn't make any different in any way nor will it deter me from saying things the way they are. You are quick to support your colleague's comment, when he keeps shunning out wrong information about your history. It is a shame you agree with somebody who said your country had independence when Apartheid began. A person with little or no information about your history. This is somebody who almost claimed to be a South African initially. I have a lot of those claims here only to be fooled and quickly accept their countries of origin.

To conclude it all. The Shakar war resulted in the lost of about 2 million people which was not a modern war as such and how that is a test for your military is still beyond me. The second Boer war was more or less a war fought by the British and the Afrikaan in the then Transvaal Republic that was incorporated into British empire(the Brits won). Those kinds of wars were fought in many countries around the world and can never be used to test the capability of any country military in this present time. A century past wars cannot be used to test your country military power. That is an absolute fact. The British dominating power to annex many countries was meant with different wars around the world and in Africa. It happened in a small scale in Ghana, between Ashante and the British also in Nigerian between the Benin empire and the British Empire. It is clear your colleague has no argument here. He is just dabbing into what he cannot comprehend about national military capability that has been tested.

It is a shame you are supporting such view for the simple reason to exonerate your country in its failure to meet up to its fraudulent militarization. Using the same soldiers who were chased out by child rebels in CAR and flaunt to other African nations.

Indeed, you are beginning to be seen as not intellectually sound as thought. That I would say is a thing not good for educated Africans.

Your screws are loose yet again. SA gained independence in 1961 from Britain and Apartheid began in 1948 after National Party which supported Afrikaner nationalism came into power. So I fail to understand your argument here. For your information SA and Britain never fought in a small scale, it is a war that both the British and Boers still honour a lot and have put on their archives. Even to date the two do not meet and do not really see eye to eye.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Mbuisi(m): 12:15pm On May 12, 2013
Mbuisi:

Your screws are loose yet again. SA gained independence in 1961 from Britain and Apartheid began in 1948 after National Party which supported Afrikaner nationalism came into power. So I fail to understand your argument here. For your information SA and Britain never fought in a small scale, it is a war that both the British and Boers still honour a lot and have put on their archives. Even to date the two do not meet and do not really see eye to eye.

Here is the proof from the British archives of how high do they regard the South African War. Here the truth must be spoken, the British defeated SA only after they went on to reinforce combatants from Australia and New Zealand

Here is also the proof of Australian involvement in the South African war.

http://www.awm.gov.au/atwar/boer/
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:18pm On May 12, 2013
Mbuisi: Here is another proof that SA fought Britain in two different eras for which in the first war SA won and lost in the second battle a century later due to Britain alliance with Australia and New Zealand.

The South African War was fought between Britain and the self-governing Afrikaner (Boer) colonies of the South African Republic (the Transvaal) and the Orange Free State. (At the outbreak of war, Britain ruled the South African colonies of the Cape and Natal).

The war began on October 11 1899, following a Boer ultimatum that the British should cease building up their forces in the region. The Boers had refused to grant political rights to non-Boer settlers, known as Uitlanders, most of whom were British, or to grant civil rights to Africans. Perhaps more important was the underlying question of control over the gold mines of the Transvaal at a time when the international financial system, and the stability of the British pound, was based on the gold standard. The war was also about Britain's control of South Africa and therefore its 'great power' status

For further reading

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_Wars_(1879–1915)

http://www.google.com/search?client=ms-rim&hl=en&q=South%20Africa%20in%20war%20with%20Britain&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&channel=browser
It is clear you never even read the links you posted. You keep beating around the bush with different information to remain relevant in this topic yet they make you look like somebody who lacks the right information. It is clear you didn't provide information based on your German-South African war before jumping to quote and post those links in your comment. It is okay you are beginning to accept what I told you earlier to make use of Google to carry out researches before posting here. Yet, you choose to accept the information without critically scrutinizing it nor reading what it says properly.

Mind you, what evolved into SA as a nation military you are talking about are different conflicts which ensued the people of that country in time past, from Khoikhoi-Dutch Wars to Second Anglo-Boer War, were nothing about the today's South African military. It is clear those were internal conflicts that spread around different time and regions of the nation. It is about the different people that now makeup the today's South African military. Then the issue of SA fighting the Germans in WW1 can as well be said of other British colony. Nigerians fought along side the Brits so were others. Coming here to say South African military fought Germans speaks volume of your lack of history. Putting things in the right perspective has never been your intention when going about this topic from the start. So, I will take that with a pinch of salt.

So, I would advise you once again to take to doing your researches with comprehensive collation of information and materials including an open mind before posting anything about this particular argument. Don't just come here to support an argument based on sentiment or how you feel about a nation and its people. That is not a expository kind of argument in nay form and it is unacceptable in the light of stating things the way they are. It will not move Africa forward in the right direction. It will make outsiders to see Africans as fallacious and non-exploratory by nature.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:21pm On May 12, 2013
Mbuisi:

You must be silly to think that is how SA independence looks like. Dude, get on and make use of Google. You are fooling yourself here. It is absolutely clear you don't know anything about South African history.

Stop fooling yourself. Even South Africans themselves will not support you in this very idea of your independence. It is wrong and absurd.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:24pm On May 12, 2013
Mbuisi:

Here is the proof from the British archives of how high do they regard the South African War. Here the truth must be spoken, the British defeated SA only after they went on to reinforce combatants from Australia and New Zealand

Here is also the proof of Australian involvement in the South African war.

http://www.awm.gov.au/atwar/boer/
Didn't this your link support what I have been saying? You are very adamant to accept your ignorance. It is the worse thing that can happen to any human being. Please, go and read before coming here to prove a point.You silly Kenyan!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Mbuisi(m): 12:26pm On May 12, 2013
all4naija: It is clear you never even read the links you posted. You keep beating around the bush with different information to remain relevant in this topic yet they make you look like somebody who lacks the right information. It is clear you didn't provide information based on your German-South African war before jumping to quote and post those links in your comment. It is okay you are beginning to accept what I told you earlier to make use of Google to carry out researches before posting here. Yet, you choose to accept the information without critically scrutinizing it nor reading what it says properly.

Mind you, what evolved into SA as a nation military you are talking about are different conflicts which ensued the people of that country in time past, from Khoikhoi-Dutch Wars to Second Anglo-Boer War, were nothing about the today's South African military. It is clear those were internal conflicts that spread around different time and regions of the nation. It is about the different people that now makeup the today's South African military. Then the issue of SA fighting the Germans in WW1 can as well be said of other British colony. Nigerians fought along side the Brits so were others. Coming here to say South African military fought Germans speaks volume of your lack of history. Putting things in the right perspective has never been your intention when going about this topic from the start. So, I will take that with a pinch of salt.

So, I would advise you once again to take to doing your researches with comprehensive collation of information and materials including an open mind before posting anything about this particular argument. Don't just come here to support an argument based on sentiment or how you feel about a nation and its people. That is not a expository kind of argument in nay form and it is unacceptable in the light of stating things the way they are. It will not move Africa forward in the right direction. It will make outsiders to see Africans as fallacious and non-exploratory by nature.

You are sick, Go to my posts you will see where I pasted the link about SA and Germany, or should I perhaps re-paste it again?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 12:33pm On May 12, 2013
all4naija: You must be silly to think that is how SA independence looks like. Dude, get on and make use of Google. You are fooling yourself here. It i absolutely clear you don't know anything about South African history.

Stop fooling yourself. Even South Africans themselves will not support you in this very idea of your independence. It is wrong and absurd.

What you going on about. Sa became republic in 1961 and has stayed RSA since then. Only you seem to think diffrently.

Technacaly SA was in charge of it's forghin afairs long before ww2 even.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:34pm On May 12, 2013
Mbuisi:

You are sick, Go to my posts you will see where I pasted the link about SA and Germany, or should I perhaps re-paste it again?
What information? To prove beyond reasonable doubt that can be used to access South African military has been put to test of today when other Brit colony does the same? You are becoming more irrelevant with this your comment.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:36pm On May 12, 2013
andrewza:

What you going on about. Sa became republic in 1961 and has stayed RSA since then. Only you seem to think diffrently.

Technacaly SA was in charge of it's forghin afairs long before ww2 even.
grin grin grin grin grin.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Mbuisi(m): 12:36pm On May 12, 2013
Mbuisi: Here is the proof that SA fought the Germans and defeated them

South African rule and the struggle for independence

South Africa occupied the colony in 1915 after defeating the German force during World War I and administered it as a League of Nations mandate territory from 1919. Although the South African government desired to incorporate 'South-West Africa' into its territory, it never officially did so, although it was administered as the de facto 'fifth province', with the white minority having representation in the whites-only Parliament of South Africa, as well as electing their own local administration the SWA Legislative Assembly. The South African government also appointed the SWA administrator, who had extensive powers

For further reading
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namibia

@ALL4NAIJA you surely failed to read this one, but I had to go to it all over again. I hope you will find it user-friendly to read. Just scroll it down to where the " South African rule and the struggle for independence" and start to read it there.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:41pm On May 12, 2013
Mbuisi:

@ALL4NAIJA you surely failed to read this one, but I had to go to it all over again. I hope you will find it user-friendly to read. Just scroll it down to where the " South African rule and the struggle for independence" and start to read it there.
Are you stoned or something? Can't you read? You keep failing to understand the independence your are talking about is about the whites of that society not the nation as a whole. The nation received independence in different stages in different regions until 1994 when it was recognized as independent country by the world.

Please, keep fooling yourself.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 12:47pm On May 12, 2013

@ Mbuisi

This will do you good. Culled from this
LINK

[b]"South Africa
Official name: Republic of South Africa
Independence from Britain: 1934
Independence from white minority rule: 1994

In 1652 Dutch settlers arrived at the Cape and set up a refreshment post for the journey to the Dutch East Indies. With minimal impact on the local peoples (Bantu speaking groups and Bushmen) the Dutch started to move inland and colonize. The arrival of the British in the eighteenth century accelerated the process. The Cape colony was ceded to the British in 1814. In 1816, Shaka kaSenzangakhona became Zulu ruler, to be assassinated by Dingane in 1828. The Great Trek of the Boers moving away from the British in the Cape started in 1836 -- leading to the founding of the Republic of Natal in 1838 and the Orange Free State in 1854. Britain took Natal from the Boers in 1843. The Transvaal was recognized as an independent state by the British in 1852 and the Cape Colony was granted self-government in 1872. Zulu War and two Anglo-Boer wars followed, and the country was unified under British dominion in 1910. Independence for white minority rule came in 1934. In 1958 Dr. Hendrik Verwoerd, the Prime Minister, introduced the Grand Apartheid policy. The African National Congress, formed in 1912, finally came into power in 1994 when the first multiracial, multiparty elections were held."

[/b]
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 12:53pm On May 12, 2013
all4naija: grin grin grin grin grin.
Although the Union of South Africa was not among the Dominions that needed to adopt the Statute of Westminster for it to take effect, two laws—the Status of the Union Act, 1934, and the Royal Executive Functions and Seals Act of 1934—were passed to confirm South Africa's status as a sovereign state.[8]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statute_of_Westminster_(1931)
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:07pm On May 12, 2013
@ andrewza

Onto the military argument. The battle line must be drawn around modern conflicts both nations military have been involved with and their records. That I can attest to with evidences Nigeria has better records than SA.

Let the argument begin, man.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Mbuisi(m): 1:09pm On May 12, 2013
all4naija:
@ Mbuisi

This will do you good. Culled from this
LINK

[b]"South Africa
Official name: Republic of South Africa
Independence from Britain: 1934
Independence from white minority rule: 1994

In 1652 Dutch settlers arrived at the Cape and set up a refreshment post for the journey to the Dutch East Indies. With minimal impact on the local peoples (Bantu speaking groups and Bushmen) the Dutch started to move inland and colonize. The arrival of the British in the eighteenth century accelerated the process. The Cape colony was ceded to the British in 1814. In 1816, Shaka kaSenzangakhona became Zulu ruler, to be assassinated by Dingane in 1828. The Great Trek of the Boers moving away from the British in the Cape started in 1836 -- leading to the founding of the Republic of Natal in 1838 and the Orange Free State in 1854. Britain took Natal from the Boers in 1843. The Transvaal was recognized as an independent state by the British in 1852 and the Cape Colony was granted self-government in 1872. Zulu War and two Anglo-Boer wars followed, and the country was unified under British dominion in 1910. Independence for white minority rule came in 1934. In 1958 Dr. Hendrik Verwoerd, the Prime Minister, introduced the Grand Apartheid policy. The African National Congress, formed in 1912, finally came into power in 1994 when the first multiracial, multiparty elections were held."

[/b]

This history which is written by South Africans tells the different story. Wonder if you still remember the winds of change speech.

http://www.sahistory.org.za/world-and-african-history/africa-colonialism-arts-protest-independence
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 12, 2013

@ Mbuisi

Go and listen to Lucky Dube and Brenda Fasi music on FREEDOM. I don't have anything to say to you any more as you refused to read.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 1:25pm On May 12, 2013
all4naija: @ andrewza

Onto the military argument. The battle line must be drawn around modern conflicts both nations military have been involved with and their records. That I can attest to with evidences Nigeria has better records than SA.

What better reccords? Please explian this cliam.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by sithwell: 1:29pm On May 12, 2013
Wow - I had no clue how bad this inability to grasp issues of independence, oppression and nationhood is. I thought it'd been taken care of by the time I woke up, but I see it just got worse and it's real.

@Mbuisi has brought on an angle that explains half the things I've been trying to deal with on this forum. It's simple basics that we are struggling with here - that aren't being grasped.

No wonder the line of argument by Nigerians that we've been suffering through for pages and pages, before @Mbuisi came on.

This is disappointing.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Mbuisi(m): 1:31pm On May 12, 2013
This quote comes from the website of the South African government

In 1961, the NP Government under Prime Minister HF Verwoerd declared South Africa a republic, after winning a whites-only referendum on the issue. A new currency, the Rand, and a new flag, anthem and coat of arms were formally introduced.

South Africa, having become a republic, had to apply for continued membership of the Commonwealth. In the face of demands for an end to apartheid, South Africa withdrew its application and a figurehead president replaced the British queen (represented locally by the governor-general) as head of state

For further reading
http://www.info.gov.za/aboutsa/history.htm
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Mbuisi(m): 1:51pm On May 12, 2013
all4naija: @ andrewza

The world knows that Nigeria has got no impressive military history and that ever since its establishment has been fighting civil war and rebels on a small scale. You can never match the war history of SA to that of Nigeria. SA has been fighting against what we call world superpowers today without any fear and The fidel Castro's Cuba supported by USSR which was even an intimidation to the US.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by sithwell: 2:01pm On May 12, 2013
Mbuisi: This quote comes from the website of the South African government

In 1961, the NP Government under Prime Minister HF Verwoerd declared South Africa a republic, after winning a whites-only referendum on the issue. A new currency, the Rand, and a new flag, anthem and coat of arms were formally introduced.

South Africa, having become a republic, had to apply for continued membership of the Commonwealth. In the face of demands for an end to apartheid, South Africa withdrew its application and a figurehead president replaced the British queen (represented locally by the governor-general) as head of state

For further reading
http://www.info.gov.za/aboutsa/history.htm

Very disappointing from the Nigerian debaters on this forum.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Mbuisi(m): 2:10pm On May 12, 2013
Whilst black nationalists in South Africa considered Britain's stand a promising call to arms, no real aid was extended to such black nationalist groups in SA. Whilst other African Commonwealth countries continued to achieve independence – it had started with Ghana on 6 March 1957, and would soon include Nigeria (1 October 1960), Somalia, Sierra Leone, and Tanzania by the end of 1961 – Apartheid white rule in South Africa pushed through a declaration of independence and the creation of a republic (31 May 1961) from Britain, partly made possible by fears of Britain's interference in its government, and partly a response to increased demonstrations by nationalist groups against Apartheid within South Africa (for example, the Sharpville Massacre)

Here is Macmillan (former prime minister of Britain) details about winds of change speech

http://africanhistory.about.com/od/eraindependence/a/wind_of_change1.htm
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:43pm On May 12, 2013
andrewza:

What better reccords? Please explian this cliam.
Good!

IN LIBERIA:

The Nigerian troop fought with one thing in mind to bring peace to that nation. It all started when the then warlord Samuel Tailor refused to relinquish power that resulted in the war that last between 1900 to 1996. The military power of the Nigerian nation quickly entered in to save and upheld freedom of the people as to the UN stipulated rules. It finally came to a point the rebel fighters were defeated.

Although, there were many mistakes made on the side of the Nigerian soldiers of indiscriminate abuses and some other inhuman treatments, which cannot be over-emphasized that it brought about to an end a battle that lasted that long without given up along the line of the battle for once.This brought about regional peace as well as saving lives and learning from past mistakes for other West African region conflicts.

That is a point our men have been tested and succeeded in bringing about to an end a brutal war in another nation.

Link to the Nigerian heroes in Liberia war is HERE

IN SIERRA LEON:

Even when ECOMOG failed to protect Freetown from the RUF rebels who massacre innocent citizens in the city Nigerian soldiers who had cleared the rebels from the city stopped its operation that result to that problem. It again stepped up action to regain the city and under three days took over the affair and restored peace. It is a sad event though that many mistakes were made for allowing the rebels to kill over 10,000 innocent people in the city after clearing the rebels who reorganized hearing Nigerian soldiers were beginning to be deployed back home. At last they put an end to the war in Sierra Leon.

Our men were tested they can easily defeat several thousand of guerrilla rebels fighters in a short period of time.

Link to the Nigerian fighters in Sierra Leon is HERE.

IN SUDAN:

There were many nations involved in the peace effort in Sudan,Nigerian others and excluding SA which made up the African Union Mission to Sudan. Our post was well guarded and only in act of learning from the troubles and mistakes they made in Liberia and Sierra Leon they remained disciplined and was indiscriminately attacked by Sudanese rebels that result in the death of 3 Nigerian soldiers. It was and ambush yet they succeeded in retaliatory fires. Due to the Nigeria capacity to fight the peace effort was given to Nigeria to carry out the dialogue in Abuja. We lost a lot of men because we were more represented and was in charge and succeeded with the UN and AU to bring peace at last.

Nigerian soldiers were test and they remained faithful and disciplined with consistency.

Link to the Nigerian army in the peace effort in Sudan HERE.

IN NIGERIAN CIVIL WAR:

It is one of the worst wars in the history of the continent. It last for about 3 years and the brutality ended the lives of more than 1 million and starved over 3 million which many died. The Nigerian military fought with all modern weapons against a well equipped Biafran rebel soldiers whose weapons supplies came from improvise IED bombs locally made and from abroad, some heavy tanks and aircraft. It is clear it is the first civil war in Africa history were rebels used fighter jet(the validity of that can be questioned). The Biafrans surrendered after intense battle.

Then again the Nigerian military has been tested to succeed not just to fight alone.

IN MANY OTHER COUNTRIES:

1. They fought in Second World War along the Brits and they were feared by the opposition for their prowess and mastering of combat. Many received medals of honor from the Britain.

2. Supply logistic, materials and information to SA, Mozambique, Zambia, Zimbabwe,Rwanda and just to mentioned a few prove the skillful nature of Nigerian military stand for peace in the continent.

3. They have been in Iraq, Kuwait, Western Sahara,Cambodia, etc. Our men have served in the UN mission to full capacity in those nations to bring peace. Nigerian soldiers have been tested to be resilient and stay on their duty with good combatant determinations.

4. In Cote D'ivoire, it is clear our military was there in full capacity that helped to restore peace to that nation. Our soldiers were tested to be disciplined and ready to stand their ground till peace is brought to any nation they are committed to.Unlike what we have seen of SA in CAR.

More and more can be said about the Nigerian military not only in the use of men to fight and defeat rebels in a war torn nations also as tool to bring peace to the various nations they are assigned duty. It is clear when it is time for combat Nigeria soldiers are fearless and ready to decimate any aggressive nation military, within African and outside its borders.

Above all these fights there is also the need to commend the efforts of other nations within the ECOMOG region. Their immense contribution cannot be overlooked.

However, there are still some bad that can be said about their capacity in their service to UN missions in many of those countries. Yet, many can as well be said about the world supper powers in along those lines.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by sithwell: 2:45pm On May 12, 2013
^ I'm surprised you still have the stamina to keep explaining this. I'm simply deflated at the realisation of why we've been failing to have a nation-to-nation debate here.

The elementary question of where a nation starts; and where it ends is still a blur in Nigeria, it seems.

Leave this. It's time to move on.

(1) (2) (3) ... (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) (251) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.