Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,726 members, 7,951,958 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 08:17 AM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (56) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4523630 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Feb 23, 2013
Msauza:

Let history speak for itself. Well, that's a well known fact that Africans moulded and shaped iron into bow and arrows, spears and open fire pots. That phenomena is evident in the history of Bushmen, the khoisan and the hottentots who were regarded as the first people. They have been in existence long before any tribe in Nigeria can ever come into existence. Speaking of savana people, the greatest slave traders of all. Who exchanged their own for a piece of cloth and facilitated for a process of mercantile slavery and further traded their trophy to the natives for the exchange of more slaves. My dear friend Nigeria never discovered fabric in their entire history, no matter how hard you will try to convince me, it will remain a propaganda before the eyes of many. If Nigeria discovered fabrics millennia ago, then why are they still importing a lot of wool, polyester, nylon and acrylic even to date? The history of white people in Africa dates back in 1400 before the actual colonisation and if you want to read more click below;

http://www.mongabay.com/history/nigeria/nigeria-european_slave_trade_in_west_africa.html
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_textiles
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 9:15am On Feb 24, 2013
@Syndergp, you purposely left out the fact that the reason SA army are all in their barracks, unlike the army in nigeria who are in the streets, is because SA has a large private security industry, totalling over 400, 000 security personnel. Well above the army and police in number combined. heavily armed with semi-automatic weapons and hand guns and ballistic vests. That is a huge number. In nigeria we do not have armed private security firms/ contractors.

It is a deliberate misinformation on your path, and I expect you to do the honourable thing and re modify your statement, adding the fact stated above.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 9:19am On Feb 24, 2013
There are over 9000 private security companies in SA. I'm sure CSS tactical rings an alarm. There is also a subsidiary of uk's G4S private security firm( one of the worlds largest private security firms) in SA.

Petrus van nievark is the chief executive of protea coin.

April 2011- march 2012, SA recorded

15,609 murders
64, 514 sexual offences
101,203 cases of aggravated robbery

I'm not here to incite , I'm just been direct. you lot( SA nationals) know those are not figures to be proud of. Even we in nigeria, who are currently battling an ins urgency in 3 states in the north( borno, yobe and kano) do not have casualty figures as high as that. Since the ins urgency in nigeria started in 2010-present, 3000 nigerians (may their souls rest in the bosom of the lord) have lost their lives, again nothing to be proud of, but we can see clearly that SA murder rates dwarfs that of nigeria.

The nigerian military is a highly professional, highly trained force , with the ability to adapt swiftly to ever changing warfare. Prior to 2010 the military, nigeria did not have any knowledge in battling extremism and islamic in surgency, but today even our greatest detractors can attest to the fact that we have been able to develop a new manual and have been able to curb the insurgency in the north. It takes tact. Using the best available equipments, including nigerian designed space technology to help us deal with the problem.

Nigeria's secret service/police, SSS or DSS, I would rank them as the best in africa, and at least in the top 20 bracket in the world. Those guys, men and women in the field and offices have done really really well. It is a model agency and a pride of our nation. Un equalled, and a model for other nations to copy.

That point been said I think nigeria has got a lot to learn from SA, in the same vein SA has got a lot to learn from nigeria. It would be in our very own interest to shun the constant bickering against each other and develop a continent that we can all be proud of. All africans black, white, mixed, indian and arab.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 10:00am On Feb 24, 2013
Off point. I just had to share this picture. An isreali soldeir in the world's best camo, in the desert.

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 10:02am On Feb 24, 2013
Henry120: There are over 9000 private security companies in SA. I'm sure CSS tactical rings an alarm. There is also a subsidiary of uk's G4S private security firm( one of the worlds largest private security firms) in SA.

15,609 murders
64, 514 sexual offences

I'm not here to incite , I'm just been direct. you lot( SA nationals) know those are not figures to be proud of. Even we in nigeria, who are currently battling an ins urgency in 3 states in the north( borno, yobe and kano) do not have casualty figures as high as that. Since the ins urgency in nigeria started in 2010-present, 3000 nigerians (may their souls rest in the bosom of the lord) have lost their lives, again nothing to be proud of, but we can see clearly that SA murder rates dwarfs that of nigeria.

The nigerian military is a highly professional, highly trained force , with the ability to adapt swiftly to ever changing warfare. Prior to 2010 the military, nigeria did not have any knowledge in battling extremism and islamic in surgency, but today even our greatest detractors can attest to the fact that we have been able to develop a new manual and have been able to curb the insurgency in the north. It takes tact. Using the best available equipments, including nigerian designed space technology to help us deal with the problem.

Nigeria's secret service/police, SSS or DSS, I would rank them as the best in africa, and at least in the top 20 bracket in the world. Those guys, men and women in the field and offices have done really really well. It is a model agency and a pride of our nation. Un equalled, and a model for other nations to copy.

That point been said I think nigeria has got a lot to learn from SA, in the same vein SA has got a lot to learn from nigeria. It would be in our very own interest to shun the constant bickering against each other and develop a continent that we can all be proud of. All africans black, white, mixed, indian and arab.
Well said
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 10:09am On Feb 24, 2013
Henry120: @Syndergp, you purposely left out the fact that the reason SA army are all in their barracks, unlike the army in nigeria who are in the streets, is because SA has a large private security industry, totalling over 400, 000 security personnel. Well above the army and police in number combined. heavily armed with semi-automatic weapons and hand guns and ballistic vests. That is a huge number. In nigeria we do not have armed private security firms/ contractors.

It is a deliberate misinformation on your path, and I expect you to do the honourable thing and re modify your statement, adding the fact stated above.

What's wronge with having private security firms guarding private interests because in SA they are regulated. They cannot arrest people and man roadblocks or even take part in police operations. The US and UK has more security firms then SA also.

U also failed the state that SA has over 120000 policeman, which makes it one of the largest on the continent, is task to oversee SA's domestic civilian security.

On the issue of u not having any private security contractors that's where I strongly differ with u because u over 12 differerent accredited firms operating in Nigeria and some of them are really poorly trained and lacks equipment.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/10/survey-report-okays-12-security-firms-in-nigeria/

The worlds largest security firms are also operating in Nigeria guarding banks, oil platforms and companies including ur citizens.
http://www.g4snigeria.com

U know before u comment do ur research because it only exposes ur ignorance about what's really happening in ur own country.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 10:25am On Feb 24, 2013
Henry120: @Syndergp, you purposely left out the fact that the reason SA army are all in their barracks, unlike the army in nigeria who are in the streets, is because SA has a large private security industry, totalling over 400, 000 security personnel. Well above the army and police in number combined. heavily armed with semi-automatic weapons and hand guns and ballistic vests. That is a huge number. In nigeria we do not have armed private security firms/ contractors.

How is it misinfomation. Solders are not ment to do poliece work. And these securty companys are regulated and do jobs that nither the milltary or poliece should need to do. Such has protecting banks, gaurding money truks, some are even imployed by the goverment to protect trains, and even Koeberg extra. These baby sitting jobs could be done by the milltary and even the poliece but are a waist of skills and man power.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 10:27am On Feb 24, 2013
Henry120: There are over 9000 private security companies in SA. I'm sure CSS tactical rings an alarm. There is also a subsidiary of uk's G4S private security firm( one of the worlds largest private security firms) in SA.

15,609 murders
64, 514 sexual offences

Here is UNODC murder rate stats on nigeria excluding ur insurgent stats, but I must stress even the UN questions ur states, u will see that more people are killed in Nigeria then in SA the only difference is per cap we are highter because of population sizes

-Brazil 21% (40,974) murders
-India 3,4% (40,752 +) murders
-Mexico 22,7% (25,757 +)murders
-Nigeria 12,2% (18,422) murders
-South Africa 31,8% (15,940)murders
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 10:36am On Feb 24, 2013
sheyie2007:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_textiles

You are indeed suffering from a mind of rat. Look into a much bigger picture and understand where it first started. Anthropology and Archaeology suggest that life started in Africa where archaic humans inhabited in variety of homos, ie, Homo heidelbergensis, Homo Rhodesiensis, and Homo neanderthalensis (The bushmen, Saartjie Bartman) and as the climate was certainly favourable, it was no use to cover the whole part of their bodies, so the idea thereof was not part of their mental capabilities.

Modern humans (Homo sapiens sapiens) are theorized to have evolved from archaic humans and appear from about 200,000 years ago and if somehow you have studied Anthropology you should have passed this lesson in your first year of University study. Just before the onslaught of the great plate techtonics hit on Gondwanaland and separated the earth as we know it today, it is theorized that the great exodus of homo sapiens to different parts of the earth with different climate might have taken place. Soon, those who found themselves in colder places saw the need of covering their bodies from coldness and taking into account that "homo sapiens" were not fully developed modern humans, they soon started to lose concentration of melanin (skin pigmentation) in their skins to acclimatise to the weather. It is suggested that this group started with developments as they were living under harsh climatic conditions of falling snow and saw the need of building themselves shelters, building ships to cross the waters and so on.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 10:39am On Feb 24, 2013

15,609 murders
64, 514 sexual offences

SA has no unit along the SSS/DSS. Our intelgent servises do not operate a parmiltary force. Our poliece do have a number of speciol units

The flying squade(they drive but in high perfomence cars such has M3's) are the polieces rapid responce unit and normally the first to arrive at a shooting in progress

Then there is the station level rection units. Basical a SWAT type team that get called out to major problems.

National intervetion unit (NIU) a larger swat type unit. They operate at major events, perform high risk arrests extra

Task Force. The best swat unit in african and one of the best in the world. The do hostage rescues, high risk arrests, VVIP protction extra extra. They only police unit where every member is a qulfied paratrooper with many caperbil of doing HALO jumps.

During the border war we had Koevoet who where the most heavly armend poliece unit in africa. All so I know of no other poliece unit that could call in air stikes. They where disolved after the war.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 11:39am On Feb 24, 2013

15,609 murders
64, 514 sexual offences

On that bolded statement I strongly disagree because there ur SSS is not the best nor does it feature in the top 20 or top 40 in the world for that matter.

Your SSS has grossly failed in there task to infiltrate BH even within ur own border which has led to serious "terrorist" problems. There are even reports of BH "infiltrating almost every security service in Nigeria". If ur SSS was as good as they claimed they should've detected the BH and other threats before they became a national emergency.

SA also had its fair share of terrorist activities even a few bombs which was planted in some areas in order to create Chaos to destabilize the country and to a civil war between white minorities, but our SASS quickly stopped the socalled "boere mag" and other smaller affiliated groups including the seizure of large amounts of weapons enough to start a small war in most african nations.

SA even recently apprehended several DRC nationals for plotting yet another waring front in DRC.

Secret Services are there to prevent and protect possible national, regional threats including the protection of a nations strategic interest and should not react after threats has already affected the nation, something which can not "always" be said of the Nigerian SSS in there strategic tasks. Your SSS is a far cry from being where, needs to be.

Yes I agree 100% about the fact that we should set a side our differences for the greater good of africa.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 11:43am On Feb 24, 2013

Private security does not provide protection to the members of the public, it only provide those services to companies and individuals who can afford to pay in unit for their services rendered. It is the duty of the democratic governments to provide security free of charge to members of the public by policing and individuals/companies who seek extra security should hire private security firm thereof. That is just a lousy excuse and Nigeria as democracy should learn to prioritise policing instead of military to deal with crime.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 12:04pm On Feb 24, 2013
snydergp:

On that bolded statement I strongly disagree because there ur SSS is not the best nor does it feature in the top 20 or top 40 in the world for that matter.

Your SSS has grossly failed in there task to infiltrate BH even within ur own border which has led to serious "terrorist" problems. There are even reports of BH "infiltrating almost every security service in Nigeria". If ur SSS was as good as they claimed they should've detected the BH and other threats before they became a national emergency.

SA also had its fair share of terrorist activities even a few bombs which was planted in some areas in order to create Chaos to destabilize the country and to a civil war between white minorities, but our SASS quickly stopped the socalled "boere mag" and other smaller affiliated groups including the seizure of large amounts of weapons enough to start a small war in most african nations.

SA even recently apprehended several DRC nationals for plotting yet another waring front in DRC.

Secret Services are there to prevent and protect possible national, regional threats including the protection of a nations strategic interest and should not react after threats has already affected the nation, something which can not "always" be said of the Nigerian SSS in there strategic tasks. Your SSS is a far cry from being where, needs to be.

Yes I agree 100% about the fact that we should set a side our differences for the greater good of africa.

SA intelgent servis are a lot diffrent from nigerias SSS. There SSS is just another parmiltary force. You never ment to see a spook ever.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Feb 24, 2013
andrewza:

SA intelgent servis are a lot diffrent from nigerias SSS. There SSS is just another parmiltary force. You never ment to see a spook ever.

The SSS is an intelligence agency, with the tactical unit only formed recently. There are different departments, with non overlapping.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Feb 24, 2013
snydergp:

I agree with you on your definition of what the secret service should be, however with nigeria's SSS, they have passed. The insurgency as we know it today, was first launched in 2009 during late president yar'adua( may he soul rest in peace) administration, and was put out by a brutal military crackdown. In 2011, this current hostilities began, I can confidently say that the SSS and the military have effectively stepped up to the occasion, the SSS in particular has scored more successes , arrest and killings of terrorists than say the indonesian detachment 88, if I am to compare the both of them.

This is a religious insurgency, idealogy based and very difficult to defeat not a bunch of disgruntled white south africans. It is safe to say in your context, the mossad also have failed, they allowed hamas smuggle in fajr5 rockets from iran, they also have been ineffective as there was a bomb blast in the center of tel aviv ( can't remember the particular city) last yr, the pakistani ISI is also a failure, same as india's intelligence agencies, Same goes for turkey.

I can confidently say that the SSS in it's present state has no equal, anywhere on the african continent.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Feb 24, 2013
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Security_Service_(Nigeria)

The only failure recorded was multalab (bomber) sneaking through the airport (MMA).. irrespective, they're awesome
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Feb 24, 2013
The military in nigeria only does patrol, operations and check-points, all in the north where there is a high level insurgency in 3 states and in the south, anti bunkering unit( jtf operation polo shield), amphibious and a couple of checkpoints on the highways.

Private security firms in nigeria do not carry weapons, are not armed with assault weapons only the police has that privilege.

The police has a tactical team, not a necessarily a swat team, it also has an anti-terror unit and SARS( special anti-robbery squad)
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Feb 24, 2013
andrewza:

I know I just can't get over the fact that these guys claim to be the best yet the results are totally not even on par with the top 20 yet they make patriotic assessments claiming things the hole world knows are not even true.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Feb 24, 2013
snydergp:

I know I just can't get over the fact that these guys claim to be the best yet the results are totally not even on par with the top 20 yet they make patriotic assessments claiming things the hole world knows are not even true.

The whole world are who and who, if I may ask? You south african scu*m?? However let's agree to disagree. My point has been made.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Feb 24, 2013
Henry120:

I agree with you on your definition of what the secret service should be, however with nigeria's SSS, they have passed. The insurgency as we know it today, was first launched in 2009 during late president yar'adua( may he soul rest in peace) administration, and was put out by a brutal military crackdown. In 2011, this current hostilities began, I can confidently say that the SSS and the military have effectively stepped up to the occasion, the SSS in particular has scored more successes , arrest and killings of terrorists than say the indonesian detachment 88, if I am to compare the both of them.

This is a religious insurgency, idealogy based and very difficult to defeat not a bunch of disgruntled white south africans. It is safe to say in your context, the mossad also have failed, they allowed hamas smuggle in fajr5 rockets from iran, they also have been ineffective as there was a bomb blast in the center of tel aviv ( can't remember the particular city) last yr, the pakistani ISI is also a failure, same as india's intelligence agencies, Same goes for turkey.

I can confidently say that the SSS in it's present state has no equal, anywhere on the african continent.

SA has six different intelligence agencies and a oversight committee in order to protect civilian privacy and the misuse of state agencies for ulterior motives other then security.
-NICOC
-SANDF (military intellegence)
-NIA (national intelligence agency)
-SAPS (police intelligence)
-NIS (national investigating agency)
-SASS (secret service)

All of these were reformed after apartheid and relaunched in 1995 already. Nigerian SSS was formed in 2009 merely three years ago yet u claim its has more experience and more efficient than SASS which has over 60 year history.

Don't even talk about pakistan ISI because even there own goverment has publicly admitted that there intelligence structures has been compromised by al-queida and in the past.

Can u please tell me how u came to the conclusion that ur SSS is better and who rated u as number 1 on the continent when u only have a 3 year service history, compared to others in SA, Egypt, Algeria and Morocco who has far more experience than SSS.

By infiltration I mean that ur SSS should've joint the ranks of BH along time ago and destabilize it within. The SASS has foiled a number of attempts by foreign and domestic complots. No agency is the best but there are many with a better track record in africa and abroad that is better then SSS and no matter how u try to change facts just to make u feel proud u can not run away from the fact that the Nigerian SSS has failed many times in respecting there duties as a agency.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Feb 24, 2013
Henry120:

The whole world are who and who, if I may ask? You south african scu*m?? However let's agree to disagree. My point has been made.

There we go again when a Nigerians loose a debate they resort to name calling and nation bashing

I will excuse myself because everytime I respond in kind to such things I get banned because even ur sorry *ss moderators don't like SA critic on a so called Giants of Africa Forum because u Nigerians like to think ur the masters of everything on the continent simply because u breed more fools then the rest of the continent, while the truth is there for everyone to read.

tonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetongue
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Feb 24, 2013
You got me wrong, the SSS was formed after Gen. Murtala mohammed( former head of state) was killed in 5th of june 1976 by gen olusegun obasanjo as military head. The tactical unit of the SSS as we see it today was formed a couple of years ago and no where did I mention 3years. The SSS was primarily ONLY an intelligence agency.

Nigeria has the following agencies

SSS = state security service / department of state services(DSS)
DMI = directorate of military intelligence
NIA = national intelligence agency
DIA = defence intelligence agency
Police intelligence.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Feb 24, 2013
@msauza, i cant help you and i am so sorry about that. I told you we have local fabric dating back to the 11th century and that we developed that all by ourselves and instead of you to go and do a bit of research which is what modern people do, you decided to reject my claim as true.

Is it our fault that when sudanic and sahelian people were building storey buildings (check gobarau minaret) and tunring woven fabrics into decent cloth to cover our unclothedness, the bantus (zulu inclusive) were still going about naked, holding long spears in their hands and chasing antelope?

Sheiyi has given you a link already why dont you go and do some reading and stop thinking that certificate given to you by that university is super.

If knowing that sudanic and sahelian people got civilized before any other group of black people gives you heartache, well let me compound it by telling you we are still the first black to start living in cities.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Feb 24, 2013
Henry120: You got me wrong, the SSS was formed after Gen. Murtala mohammed( former head of state) was killed in 5th of june 1986 by gen olusegun obasanjo as military head. The tactical unit of the SSS as we see it today was formed a couple of years ago and no where did I mention 3years. The SSS was primarily ONLY an intelligence agency.

Nigeria has the following agencies

SSS = state security service / department of state services(DSS)
DMI = directorate of military intelligence
NIA = national intelligence agency
DIA = defence intelligence agency
Police intelligence.
sss was formed in 1976 not '86.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Feb 24, 2013
souldust: sss was formed in 1976 not '86.
It's 86 Bro... check the wiki link I posted
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Feb 24, 2013
snydergp:

Nobody is claiming to be the best, the fact is, we're proud of their success in Nigeria, and Africa as a whole . even if were rated the best, does it hurt your spine so much that we're progressing?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Feb 24, 2013

You are correct. The agency was formed in 76 after gen olusegun obasanjo took over.

@Sheyie007, wikipedia is fraught with errors and highly un reliable. @Souldust was right.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Feb 24, 2013
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Feb 24, 2013
@snyder. I saw somewhere were you said SA is the only net exporter of food on the continent. But thats a lie!

I have just sat to think about it and have come to realise that Nigeria is also a net exporter of food. Agriculture makes up about 40 percent of our GDP. Infact most food we consume in Nigeria are produced here. We are the world largest producer of all variety of yam and cassava. We dont import mango, cashew, orange, beans, maize, banana, plantain, mellon, beniseed, millet, guinea corn, sweet potatoes and many more! Infact, the major food we import is rice and some other things. So it is grossly wrong to say that Nigeria cannot feed itself as rice is not the only food in the world. Rice is not the most consumed food in Nigeria; cassava is by FAR.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Feb 24, 2013
sheyie2007:
Nobody is claiming to be the best, the fact is, we're proud of their success in Nigeria, and Africa as a whole . even if were rated the best, does it hurt your spine so much that we're progressing?

No one gets hurt over that because if u become the best then it'll mean better security for ur people which I will be glad for any african country, because no human life deserves to die all because of a poor functioning security ops and foolish religious "terror" ideologies in the 21st century especially on african soil.

But that said we should also not over exaggerate things here all because of national pride.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Feb 24, 2013
souldust: @snyder. I saw somewhere were you said SA is the only net exporter of food on the continent. But thats a lie!

I have just sat to think about it and have come to realise that Nigeria is also a net exporter of food. Agriculture makes up about 40 percent of our GDP. Infact most food we consume in Nigeria are produced here. We are the world largest producer of all variety of yam and cassava. We dont import mango, cashew, orange, beans, maize, banana, plantain, mellon, beniseed, millet, guinea corn, sweet potatoes and many more! Infact, the major food we import is rice and some other things. So it is grossly wrong to say that Nigeria cannot feed itself as rice is not the only food in the world. Rice is not the most consumed food in Nigeria; cassava is by FAR.

I haven't really looked at your overall agri sector so I cannot really give a informed opinion on that front, only from what I've read in a few reports on ur agri sector.

Agricultural production in SA consist mostly of large commercial farming and not subsistence farming, thus we concentrate more on mass high value agriculture which is mostly focused on the export market.

SA is the 5th largest maize producer in the world eventough our climatic conditions aren't really suited due to our erratic rainfall in certain regions. SA exports mainly processed agricultural goods to EU, US and Asia, like fruit, wine, vegetables, wool, meat products, fisheries and grain products, but currently wine has become our second largest agri product exporter and we have become the second largest exporter by volume outside the EU.

There's no production of Cassava and yam in SA because non of our population consumes it with exceptions of our sizable west african residents in SA.

What I was emphasizing in my previous posts was that we are the biggest exporter of agri processed goods, wines/beverages and many other goods that's not only consumed by countries within a region like Nigeria's cassava farmers. Southern Africa's staple food is maize which SA is the largest producer.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Feb 24, 2013
Now back to the topic about military power and our regional capabilities to react to any domestic threat or foreign aggression, please no more side issues

Can u please tell me why have the Nigeria Army not deployed its full pledge of soldiers to the frontline in Mali.

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.