Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,836 members, 7,876,173 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 11:36 AM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (618) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4474268 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (615) (616) (617) (618) (619) (620) (621) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by zaandrew: 9:55am On Aug 06, 2013
agaugust:

i am de-horning your boasting Rhino piece by piece, i dont rush my things. before i post my source, educate yourself first :

south african navy valour warship Umkhonto missiles is NOT engineered to hit incoming anti-ship missiles fired from warships like NNS ARADU, because the launch tubes of Umhkonto missiles are vertical and fixed that way, built to fire straight up into the air to stop enemy aircraft or enemy air to surface missiles fired from enemy aircraft.

the valour frigates are designed and armed to be more of anti-aircraft defence warship than anti-ship.

Umhkonto missile is not the weapon of valour frigates designed to stop surface to surface missiles, you got it all wrong. show us a source that says its is for anti-surface use. it will not perform well in that role and the south african warship will get sunk in that wrong use of defensive weaponry.

there is a different weapon on valour frigate for stopping anti-ship missiles, but i wont tell you now because you are ungrateful.

NNS ARADU Otomat missiles will sink the valour frigates, i think with about 80% chance of success, and one single hit from NNS ARADU missile is enough to sink a whole ship, the Otomat is one of the most powerful anti-ship missiles in the world.

while your wrongly used Umhkonto missile starts its journey of defence vertically upwards from its fixed vertical tubes towards the sky and moon, nigerian Otomat missile is hugging and skimming the sea water surface and heading to target.

go to data of valour frigate under its photo on the wikipedia page, and read this under list of armaments and learn from a nigerian civilian about a south african warship grin :

"Surface-to-Air: 16 Umkhonto surface-to-air missiles (mounted in two eight-cell vertical launchers}"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valour-class_frigate

also learn that it is designed to be majorly specialized anti-air threat frigate, not anti-sea threat.

"South African Valour Class MEKO A-200 anti-air frigates"

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/meko/

learn the above lessons first before i teach you about Otomat missile with source in a very direct answer to your foolish question grin

Wow you again just showed you know nothing.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by saengine: 10:02am On Aug 06, 2013
agaugust:

i am de-horning your boasting Rhino piece by piece, i dont rush my things. before i post my source, educate yourself first :

south african navy valour warship Umkhonto missiles is NOT engineered to hit incoming anti-ship missiles fired from warships like NNS ARADU, because the launch tubes of Umhkonto missiles are vertical and fixed that way, built to fire straight up into the air to stop enemy aircraft or enemy air to surface missiles fired from enemy aircraft.

the valour frigates are designed and armed to be more of anti-aircraft defence warship than anti-ship.

Umhkonto missile is not the weapon of valour frigates designed to stop surface to surface missiles, you got it all wrong. show us a source that says its is for anti-surface use. it will not perform well in that role and the south african warship will get sunk in that wrong use of defensive weaponry.

there is a different weapon on valour frigate for stopping anti-ship missiles, but i wont tell you now because you are ungrateful.

NNS ARADU Otomat missiles will sink the valour frigates, i think with about 80% chance of success, and one single hit from NNS ARADU missile is enough to sink a whole ship, the Otomat is one of the most powerful anti-ship missiles in the world.

while your wrongly used Umhkonto missile starts its journey of defence vertically upwards from its fixed vertical tubes towards the sky and moon, nigerian Otomat missile is hugging and skimming the sea water surface and heading to target.

go to data of valour frigate under its photo on the wikipedia page, and read this under list of armaments and learn from a nigerian civilian about a south african warship grin :

"Surface-to-Air: 16 Umkhonto surface-to-air missiles (mounted in two eight-cell vertical launchers}"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valour-class_frigate

also learn that it is designed to be majorly specialized anti-air threat frigate, not anti-sea threat.

"South African Valour Class MEKO A-200 anti-air frigates"

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/meko/

learn the above lessons first before i teach you about Otomat missile with source in a very direct answer to your foolish question grin

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6540:fact-file-denel-dynamics-umkhonto-short-range-infra-red-guided-point-air-defence-missile-system-&catid=79:fact-files&Itemid=159

"The Umkhonto missile system provides point defence against high-speed aircraft and missiles at ranges up to 12km. The system provides all-round protection, including zenith, and has a “very high saturation level” through the use of vertical launching, automatic flight control together with multi-targeting capabilities."

"The Umkhonto IR is reputedly the first VLS IR SAM and also the first to use LOAL3 and can engage “eight or more” different targets simultaneously, using the ships’ Thales MRR (multi-role radar). Upon launch the missile is said to fly to a lock-on point using inertial navigation. At the designated spot the missile activates its IR seeker and locks on."

So this is your lesson for me? You clearly know absolutely nothing about Umkhonto missile. Nothing at all. Umkhonto SAM has 40G of maneuverability, meaning after launch it can very rapidly change it's direction you fool. You think it turns like a fat cow? Go back to sleep if you are clueless about this topic. Otomat missiles will be picked up from many kilometers away. Will you be firing them at us from 1m away? No. Your imaginary Otomat missiles will not touch any Frigate. This is the official picture Denel released with the Umkhonto SAM. What kind of targets is it engaging in this pic? Stop wasting my time, fool.

[img]http://www.naval.com.br/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/sam_umkhonto-ir_scenario.gif[/img]
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 10:50am On Aug 06, 2013
saengine:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6540:fact-file-denel-dynamics-umkhonto-short-range-infra-red-guided-point-air-defence-missile-system-&catid=79:fact-files&Itemid=159

"The Umkhonto missile system provides point defence against high-speed aircraft and missiles at ranges up to 12km. The system provides all-round protection, including zenith, and has a “very high saturation level” through the use of vertical launching, automatic flight control together with multi-targeting capabilities."

"The Umkhonto IR is reputedly the first VLS IR SAM and also the first to use LOAL3 and can engage “eight or more” different targets simultaneously, using the ships’ Thales MRR (multi-role radar). Upon launch the missile is said to fly to a lock-on point using inertial navigation. At the designated spot the missile activates its IR seeker and locks on."

So this is your lesson for me? You clearly know absolutely nothing about Umkhonto missile. Nothing at all. Umkhonto SAM has 40G of maneuverability, meaning after launch it can very rapidly change it's direction you fool. You think it turns like a fat cow? Go back to sleep if you are clueless about this topic. Otomat missiles will be picked up from many kilometers away. Will you be firing them at us from 1m away? No. Your imaginary Otomat missiles will not touch any Frigate. This is the official picture Denel released with the Umkhonto SAM. What kind of targets is it engaging in this pic? Stop wasting my time, fool.

[img]http://www.naval.com.br/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/sam_umkhonto-ir_scenario.gif[/img]

The 419 brain is too small to comprehend the technology behind Umkhonto missile, that it is engineered as multi defence system that can fire every direction from a point of its platform. The manoeuvrability behind this masterpiece is indeed so complex for 419 brain to consume.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 11:05am On Aug 06, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

You'll never get over your desperate wishes not to have your lies and clever silly deceptions exposed to the world. Wherever I am on planet earth is beside the point of your weak hallucinations and tantrums so far! shockedshocked I put up a photo wich I received yesterday but rather than deal with the reality of the SANDF chaps whose identities I am still protecting you are here desperately trying to derail valid military points that had to be made. I should have used the many other revealing photos that were sent through to me, but here your are foaming rabidly through the mouth because I have become your greatest nemesis!

Your empty claims that I am in your South Africa works perfectly for me grin grin grin grin , and until you can prove that I am not in London currently, you are just hyperventilating for nothing! Why not unleash your SANDF and Police SF to eliminate me from your Hillbrow home that your parents willed to me? cool cool

I posted a picture and your first reaction was so embarrassing that you are still scrambling to save face! The picture still confounds you terribly. I hope AndrewZA can decipher the chaps in the picture! You are deeply hurt, hence all the juvenile tantruming and insults? grin grin grin

Anyways, I've got a breakfast table for two this morning overlooking the Thames River!! cheesy cheesy Join me if you can !! shocked shocked shocked

Even if you were to post a picture of the dinner table at Buckingham Palace, the fact remains: you're desperately trying to climb out of a hole you dug yourself into, Mr Hillbrow! grin

You're explaining every unnecessary detail precisely because of that. Too bad. No one buys it!

To even try and suggest someone would send you a meaningless picture! grin

If any sending was done it was from the lens of your camera phone to the phone itself when you took the picture at park station.

Naai-jaPigoon, the high roller of Park!! grin

You messed up, Naai-gerian.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 11:09am On Aug 06, 2013
LT SHANGY:

CraigB, How old are you?Mere looking at your comments, anyone can easily decipher your age.

Merely looking at YOUR comments, anyone can easily decipher your education level; and that of your intelligence.

This being what matters the most, don't you think?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 11:10am On Aug 06, 2013
Msauza: Boko Haram target Lagos:

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/why-boko-haram-targets-lagos/

They are in the dodo, these Naai-gerians. They've been proved less than ragtaggy in their own land!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 11:25am On Aug 06, 2013
agaugust:

you see why we call you south africans 33% barins ?

your above post just confirmed my fact, that south africa did not attack cuba/angola in the bush war, south africa was only defending, that keeps casualties low.

your post just proved me right grin if i insult your south african brain now you will say i have bad language, but how can i call a fool a genius ? grin

no source weblink for your post above, sure its a south african war propaganda new medium.

wikipedia says south african air force was hiding away on the ground most of the time from cuban air force because Mig 23 jet was superior to Mirage 2000 jet, so how did you shoot down cuban jets in ratio 9:1 'victory' ?
Satan himself helped you fly ? grin

wikipedia says cuba had about 50,000 soldiers against south african 3,000 frontline, the cuban army was large and mobile enough to encircle and sorrround south africa 4 times over ! yet south african news report that 4,785 cubans k.illed but only 31 south africans killed. so how did you k.ill cuban soldiers in ratio 160:1 ? grin

south africa should be on Guiness book of world record for war k.ill ratios greater than america and russia combined grin

The G5 and the G6 have been used
primarily in battlefield interdiction roles and have
been very accurate due to coinputerised firing
calculations. Artillery observers were deployed on
the front line and targets which presented
themselves were exploited immediately. When
the Cubans wanted to launch an air strike from
the Angolan airfield at Cuito Cuanavale, artillery
observers on one occasion called for G6 fire
support and destroyed four Russian MiG 21 jet
fighters as they taxied for take off.(46)
The G5 shelled the runways and associated
infrastructure of the airfield at Cuito Cuanavale
over a long period of time and this prevented the
enemy fighters from taking off to participate
against South African forces. The G5 played a
primary role in destroying the enemy, including
aircraft and tanks. The fact remains that the G5
played a critical role during this campaign and
without it the war in Angola would have run a
different course. The G5 proved to be the
backbone of the South African forces during the
conflict. The G5 was a great psychological booster
for the members of the SADF operating on the
ground. The role that the G5 fulfilled should
therefore not be underestimated under any
circumstances.(47) Before being operationally
employed the G6 was evaluated, amongst others,
during Exercise Zenula in May 1986 at Omuthiya,
the base camp of 61 Mechanised Battalion. The
G5 was used operationally for the first time by the
SADF on 9 August 1986 during Operation Alpha
Centauri. This operation lasted until 16 August
1986. One battery of G5s (a battery consists of
eight guns) was employed in conjunction with
one battery of multiple rocket launchers (MRL).
The operation was an artillery attack against
Cuban and FAPLA formations concentrating in
Cuito Cuanavale for their 1986 offensive against
UNITA. The 25th Cuban-FAPLA Brigade was
situated east of Cuito Cuanavale near Tumpo. The
13th Brigade was situated in Cuito Cuanavale and
the 8th Brigade operated between Menongue and
Cuito Cuanavale, the former being a large logistics
depot. Convoys regularly travelled from
Menongue to supply Cuito Cuanavale.(48)
The G5 assault began at last light, about 18:00.
By 23:00 the back of the opposition was broken.
Heavy fire was brought down upon the enemy in
the first five hours resulting in large scale
destruction. This destroyed the 1986 Cuban and
FAPLA offensive against UNITA and showed the
tremendous destructive force that lay within one
battery of G5s. Owing to the long range and the
accuracy with which the G5 could fire and the
effect of the ammunition, authority was forced
upon the enemy.
As a result of the daylight activities of the MiG jet
fighters employed by the enemy, artillery fire
missions could only be executed at night. As it
was the first time that the G5 was used
operationally there was great cause for concern
that the MiGs would spot the G5s. The MiGs were
continuously in the air trying to locate the G5s
and bombed the surrounding area at random in
the hope of hitting the artillery.(49)
This operation proved to the SADF that survival
was possible despite an unfavourable air situation.
As a result of the enemy's air superiority, great
attention was given to passive defensive
measures such as camouflage, track discipline
and the concealment of movement. Special
techniques of concealment were practised
beforehand which prevented the enemy from
observing the artillery. Before the operation was
undertaken these techniques of concealment
were also tested under conditions similar to those
that the artillery would experience during the
operation. Another factor in favour of the artillery
was the unprofessional manner in which the
enemy employed its air force. The MiG fighters
flew at a very high altitudes, making observation
very difficult for the pilots. The apparent reason
for this was to avoid being shot down by UNITA's
Stinger missiles. In addition, the many bush fires
in the area, owing to the dryness of the season,
created a lot of dust and smoke in the air. During
this operation approximately 2 500 MRL
projectiles and approximately 4 500 G5 projectiles
were used.(50)
During 1987 Cuban and FAPLA forces were
concentrated in the east of Angola known to
them as 5th Military District. Operations launched
by them were aimed at destroying UNJTA,
including their main base at Jamba. As a counter-
measure, the SADF undertook Operation Modular
in aid of UNITA which lasted from 1 July to 15
December 1987. This was followed up by
Operation Hooper and culminated in Operation
Packer which ended in March 1988. During this
period two G5 batteries were employed, playing a
prominent role in destroying enemy forces.
During these operations it was found that the HE
projectiles of the G5 could be used to great effect
against the T-55 tanks employed by the opposing
force. Between 20 and 30 tanks were in this way
put out of action by the G5s. It was also found
that when an HE projectile hit the ground and
detonated 15 in from a tank, chances were good
that the tank concerned would be disabled. The
enemy had no tactical equipment that could
withstand the 155 mm shell of the G5. After
Operation Packer, a further operation took place
in south eastern Angola. This was Operation
Displace during which the G5 was also used.(51)
The artillery found that the G5 was flexible owing
to its long range and the convenient top traverse
of the barrel for the arc of fire. When the top
traverse was impeded by trees, the gun crews
would use, amongst others, chain saws and
explosives to remove the trees, but this was not
done to the detriment of camouflage. It was also
found that the G5 gave tactical advantage owing
to its mobility. During the above-mentioned
operations, the MiGs again took to speculative
bombing of the area in the hope of flushing out
the G5s. As in 1986 the G5s were regarded as the
prime target. One of the factors causing the MiGs
to be unsuccessful was the discipline shown by
the SA troops in adhering to passive defensive
measures. As a result of the prolonged duration of
these operations, gun unservicibility started
becoming more of a problem. This resulted in
greater logistical problems for the SADF as even
large components such as barrels had to be
replaced in the field. Special hoisting apparatus
and tools were needed to replace the barrels but
in spite of this no great problems were
experienced in changing the barrels in the field.
This experience proved that the G5 was
technically maintainable in the field.(52)
Under the prevailing, difficult cross-country
conditions the auxiliary power unit proved to be
of tremendous assistance to the gun tractor. The
gun tractor and the G5 formed a long train in the
bush and the trees and thick undergrowth
stripped certain equipment off the G5 when it
turned. The bush-breaking also caused some
damage to the gun tractor as well as to the G5
and certain modifications were therefore made,
eg the battery box which was situated on the
outside of the trails is now situated on the inside
of the trails.(53) Some of these modifications
were not introduced on G5s which were destined
for the international market owing to the
difference in terrain.(54) The last operational
deployment of the G5 in Angola was during
Operation Prone near Tchipa, during June 1988.
(55)
The G6 made its operational debut in December
1987 during Operation Modular. The mobility of
the G6 in dense bush proved to be highly
successful. The greatest cause for concern was
whether the tyres would stand up to the rugged
conditions, especially while breaking the bush.
Fortunately there was no cause for concern as the
tyres gave very few problems. They proved to be
very robust and survived very well during
Operation Modular and were found to be more
robust than those of most other operational
vehicles
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by saengine: 11:36am On Aug 06, 2013
[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1235904_IMG_2842_JPG0ee522cfd3bdcd4b0b68f12a8a289f93[/img]

Hahahaha......so someone just randomly sent NaijaPikinGidi a picture with two apparent SANDF members in it? How would they know you are interested in such a picture? There is absolutely nothing spectacular about that pic, so whoever "sent" it to you must have had clear instructions to take out his camera when he smells SANDF nearby. Do you tell all your friends to send you pictures every time they spot SANDF members?

Back to reality. That picture was taken by you in Park Station Johannesburg, no one else. We have been consistently telling your fellow Nigerians that your behind is in SA, while you claim Nigeria is better than SA. You really messed up posting that pic, you messed up bad. And why did you take the pic? To prove what? If SANDF members are returning home for a break what is so wrong in using public transport? Are you expecting them to be individually dropped off at home by helicopter? Do all Nigerian troops from privates to Generals drive German cars?

You thought you had a point by posting that picture, but have done nothing but expose yourself.

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1236084_thames5_jpg127444f0015f9528415ebdcc92e4fc4d[/img]

Look at the first pic. Reflection in the mirror. Notice how the person standing behind these two guys happens to be wearing the same head gear as the second pic. Your broke ass was in Park Station, Johannesburg. Standing in the same line as people you claim are using poor transport. What a sham you are to your fellow Nigerians
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by LTSHANGY: 12:02pm On Aug 06, 2013
CraigB:

Merely looking at YOUR comments, anyone can easily decipher your EDUCATION LEVEL; and that of your intelligence.

This being what matters the most, don't you think?

What is your point, really? You are the most clueless south african kid here.. FYI, its EDUCATIONAL LEVEL!

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 12:04pm On Aug 06, 2013
agaugust: .

[img]http://www.trt.net.tr/medya5/resim/2013/03/31/55e87c6c-c2d2-4bdf-b998-759a25e6360a-444x333.jpg[/img]

[size=16pt]South African Air force Helicopter Crashes Chasing Rhino Poachers[/size]

Army officials said the air force helicopter crashed at Kruger National Park as it was on a patrol duty as part of anti-rhino poaching operation.

The cause of the accident, which killed five air force members, is still unkown.

South Africa is struggling to stem rampant poaching of rhinos, whose horns are sold to buyers in Asia. Rhino horn is made of keratin, a tough protein found in human fingernails. There's a belief in Asia that ingesting ground-up horn cures diseases.

http://www.trtromanian.com/trtWorld/en/newsDetail.aspx?HaberKodu=16c0a897-5ade-4d1e-a18f-aa4775f0dbed

so what will happen to south african air force pilots in a real war against a powerful african country's military ?

Let's not talk about crashes,cause we all know Nigeria crashed 3 of its 15 its F7 fighter jets. What would happen in war situation? Remember the crashed helo was a light utility helicopter the A109.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 12:16pm On Aug 06, 2013
LT SHANGY:

What is your point, really? You are the most clueless south african kid here.. FYI, its EDUCATIONAL LEVEL!

The point is if I'm a child (I suppose this is an insult in Naai-geria grin), then there's nothing wrong with acting like one.

You're are apparently mature. But you're an idiōt.

It's not education level, you say?

Ok then, bright spark, explain the usage in the picture.

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 12:24pm On Aug 06, 2013
Mike..ZA:
The G5 and the G6 have been used
primarily in battlefield interdiction roles and have
been very accurate due to coinputerised firing
calculations. Artillery observers were deployed on
the front line and targets which presented
themselves were exploited immediately. When
the Cubans wanted to launch an air strike from
the Angolan airfield at Cuito Cuanavale, artillery
observers on one occasion called for G6 fire
support and destroyed four Russian MiG 21 jet
fighters as they taxied for take off.(46)
The G5 shelled the runways and associated
infrastructure of the airfield at Cuito Cuanavale
over a long period of time and this prevented the
enemy fighters from taking off to participate
against South African forces. The G5 played a
primary role in destroying the enemy, including
aircraft and tanks. The fact remains that the G5
played a critical role during this campaign and
without it the war in Angola would have run a
different course. The G5 proved to be the
backbone of the South African forces during the
conflict. The G5 was a great psychological booster
for the members of the SADF operating on the
ground. The role that the G5 fulfilled should
therefore not be underestimated under any
circumstances.(47) Before being operationally
employed the G6 was evaluated, amongst others,
during Exercise Zenula in May 1986 at Omuthiya,
the base camp of 61 Mechanised Battalion. The
G5 was used operationally for the first time by the
SADF on 9 August 1986 during Operation Alpha
Centauri. This operation lasted until 16 August
1986. One battery of G5s (a battery consists of
eight guns) was employed in conjunction with
one battery of multiple rocket launchers (MRL).
The operation was an artillery attack against
Cuban and FAPLA formations concentrating in
Cuito Cuanavale for their 1986 offensive against
UNITA. The 25th Cuban-FAPLA Brigade was
situated east of Cuito Cuanavale near Tumpo. The
13th Brigade was situated in Cuito Cuanavale and
the 8th Brigade operated between Menongue and
Cuito Cuanavale, the former being a large logistics
depot. Convoys regularly travelled from
Menongue to supply Cuito Cuanavale.(48)
The G5 assault began at last light, about 18:00.
By 23:00 the back of the opposition was broken.
Heavy fire was brought down upon the enemy in
the first five hours resulting in large scale
destruction. This destroyed the 1986 Cuban and
FAPLA offensive against UNITA and showed the
tremendous destructive force that lay within one
battery of G5s. Owing to the long range and the
accuracy with which the G5 could fire and the
effect of the ammunition, authority was forced
upon the enemy.
As a result of the daylight activities of the MiG jet
fighters employed by the enemy, artillery fire
missions could only be executed at night. As it
was the first time that the G5 was used
operationally there was great cause for concern
that the MiGs would spot the G5s. The MiGs were
continuously in the air trying to locate the G5s
and bombed the surrounding area at random in
the hope of hitting the artillery.(49)
This operation proved to the SADF that survival
was possible despite an unfavourable air situation.
As a result of the enemy's air superiority, great
attention was given to passive defensive
measures such as camouflage, track discipline
and the concealment of movement. Special
techniques of concealment were practised
beforehand which prevented the enemy from
observing the artillery. Before the operation was
undertaken these techniques of concealment
were also tested under conditions similar to those
that the artillery would experience during the
operation. Another factor in favour of the artillery
was the unprofessional manner in which the
enemy employed its air force. The MiG fighters
flew at a very high altitudes, making observation
very difficult for the pilots. The apparent reason
for this was to avoid being shot down by UNITA's
Stinger missiles. In addition, the many bush fires
in the area, owing to the dryness of the season,
created a lot of dust and smoke in the air. During
this operation approximately 2 500 MRL
projectiles and approximately 4 500 G5 projectiles
were used.(50)
During 1987 Cuban and FAPLA forces were
concentrated in the east of Angola known to
them as 5th Military District. Operations launched
by them were aimed at destroying UNJTA,
including their main base at Jamba. As a counter-
measure, the SADF undertook Operation Modular
in aid of UNITA which lasted from 1 July to 15
December 1987. This was followed up by
Operation Hooper and culminated in Operation
Packer which ended in March 1988. During this
period two G5 batteries were employed, playing a
prominent role in destroying enemy forces.
During these operations it was found that the HE
projectiles of the G5 could be used to great effect
against the T-55 tanks employed by the opposing
force. Between 20 and 30 tanks were in this way
put out of action by the G5s. It was also found
that when an HE projectile hit the ground and
detonated 15 in from a tank, chances were good
that the tank concerned would be disabled. The
enemy had no tactical equipment that could
withstand the 155 mm shell of the G5. After
Operation Packer, a further operation took place
in south eastern Angola. This was Operation
Displace during which the G5 was also used.(51)
The artillery found that the G5 was flexible owing
to its long range and the convenient top traverse
of the barrel for the arc of fire. When the top
traverse was impeded by trees, the gun crews
would use, amongst others, chain saws and
explosives to remove the trees, but this was not
done to the detriment of camouflage. It was also
found that the G5 gave tactical advantage owing
to its mobility. During the above-mentioned
operations, the MiGs again took to speculative
bombing of the area in the hope of flushing out
the G5s. As in 1986 the G5s were regarded as the
prime target. One of the factors causing the MiGs
to be unsuccessful was the discipline shown by
the SA troops in adhering to passive defensive
measures. As a result of the prolonged duration of
these operations, gun unservicibility started
becoming more of a problem. This resulted in
greater logistical problems for the SADF as even
large components such as barrels had to be
replaced in the field. Special hoisting apparatus
and tools were needed to replace the barrels but
in spite of this no great problems were
experienced in changing the barrels in the field.
This experience proved that the G5 was
technically maintainable in the field.(52)
Under the prevailing, difficult cross-country
conditions the auxiliary power unit proved to be
of tremendous assistance to the gun tractor. The
gun tractor and the G5 formed a long train in the
bush and the trees and thick undergrowth
stripped certain equipment off the G5 when it
turned. The bush-breaking also caused some
damage to the gun tractor as well as to the G5
and certain modifications were therefore made,
eg the battery box which was situated on the
outside of the trails is now situated on the inside
of the trails.(53) Some of these modifications
were not introduced on G5s which were destined
for the international market owing to the
difference in terrain.(54) The last operational
deployment of the G5 in Angola was during
Operation Prone near Tchipa, during June 1988.
(55)
The G6 made its operational debut in December
1987 during Operation Modular. The mobility of
the G6 in dense bush proved to be highly
successful. The greatest cause for concern was
whether the tyres would stand up to the rugged
conditions, especially while breaking the bush.
Fortunately there was no cause for concern as the
tyres gave very few problems. They proved to be
very robust and survived very well during
Operation Modular and were found to be more
robust than those of most other operational
vehicles

Sadam Hussain procured 100 units of G5s Howitzers from South Africa and used them to frustrate Americans during Gulf war. No wonder the US have confiscated them after his successful defeat by the help of his people. The US have now put all Saddam's G5 in their war museum to remind them of the most powerful weapon from Saddam Hussain's arsenal that really gave them headache. The power of G5 howitzer.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 12:31pm On Aug 06, 2013
Mike..ZA:
Let's not talk about crashes,cause we all know Nigeria crashed 3 of its 15 its F7 fighter jets. What would happen in war situation? Remember the crashed helo was a light utility helicopter the A109.

It will even be worse if we highlight all their plane crashes
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 12:45pm On Aug 06, 2013
LT SHANGY:

I'm still waiting for answers, south africans..
It is not about numbers or size. Here the thing if Nigeria and South Africa were gonna go down the war path .First Relations between both would deteriorate,then indirect threats would be exchanged followed by UN sanctions and International arms ermbargo. Now here's why South Africa is above the rest: Seeing war was on the way both countries start preparing and re arming their armed forces. With this point mentioned we know which country is capable of producing Artillery systems,war planes and tanks.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeZA: 12:58pm On Aug 06, 2013
Msauza:

Sadam Hussain procured 100 units of G5s Howitzers from South Africa and used them to frustrate Americans during Gulf war. No wonder the US have confiscated them after his successful defeat by the help of his people. The US have now put all Saddam's G5 in their war museum to remind them of the most powerful weapon from Saddam Hussain's arsenal that really gave them headache. The power of G5 howitzer.
During the gulf war Saddam's communication centres were destroyed by the coalition aerial bombings. Meaning the G5 systems couldn't pin point or locate were the enemy was. The G5 is deadly weapon,Infact it is best towed howitzer.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 2:00pm On Aug 06, 2013
saengine: [img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1235904_IMG_2842_JPG0ee522cfd3bdcd4b0b68f12a8a289f93[/img]

Hahahaha......so someone just randomly sent NaijaPikinGidi a picture with two apparent SANDF members in it? How would they know you are interested in such a picture? There is absolutely nothing spectacular about that pic, so whoever "sent" it to you must have had clear instructions to take out his camera when he smells SANDF nearby. Do you tell all your friends to send you pictures every time they spot SANDF members?

Back to reality. That picture was taken by you in Park Station Johannesburg, no one else. We have been consistently telling your fellow Nigerians that your behind is in SA, while you claim Nigeria is better than SA. You really messed up posting that pic, you messed up bad. And why did you take the pic? To prove what? If SANDF members are returning home for a break what is so wrong in using public transport? Are you expecting them to be individually dropped off at home by helicopter? Do all Nigerian troops from privates to Generals drive German cars?

You thought you had a point by posting that picture, but have done nothing but expose yourself.

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1236084_thames5_jpg127444f0015f9528415ebdcc92e4fc4d[/img]

Look at the first pic. Reflection in the mirror. Notice how the person standing behind these two guys happens to be wearing the same head gear as the second pic. Your broke ass was in Park Station, Johannesburg. Standing in the same line as people you claim are using poor transport. What a sham you are to your fellow Nigerians

Bliksem!

I hadn't even noticed that reflection. grin

There stands die bobbejaan! Hahaha.

South Africans are too fast, I tell you.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 2:14pm On Aug 06, 2013
saengine: [img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/1235904_IMG_2842_JPG0ee522cfd3bdcd4b0b68f12a8a289f93[/img]

Very good try SAEngine!! Very good one ... much better than juvenile CrayFish's brain! Like I said the story is in the picture ... to the extent that whatever transpired before or after that picture has LANDED into my AV DropBox folder as of last night! "Whoever" sent it to me has had a debriefing with them!! It is not for you to understand and not for me to disclose. The summary of what you see is that we know how to get about your SA. Or you'd like me to send through the complete set of images disclosing their identities? No I won't!! Not ethical for their safety and ours.

Back to your delusions ... I wish I had the powers of a spirit to be everywhere at the very same time! Smart operatives will always wear those headgears if they ever cared for their identity in public places! grin grin grin "Whoever" took the shots has applied himself correctly to the basic risks of the task. All my personal images have been applied specifically to prove to SA blockheads that we are REAL in the things we do and say anywhere for the security of Nigeria. You have "seen" me here but you'll never know me. shocked shocked shocked Your comment does not prove that I'm the only person in the world with a head for a specific headgear! cool cool cool It rather fulfils the purpose of the riddles running circles in your brain. Your brother CrayFish was the one who jumped the gun on seeing those two SANDF boys by calling them poor Nigerians using cheap public transport! grin grin grin grin On realising they were SANDF he began his predictable tantrums and insults.

Notice that I have not said or provided anything to jeopardise identities on all sides? That's how to roll: win-win, tête-à-tête and the world keeps going round.

Simple objective:
:: To have you all positively identify your SANDF men and their patterns of public movement.
:: To let you realise that you are easily more vulnerable than other forces that you are quick to insult.
:: To show you that even the least of world's forces are entrenched in your territory for the specific day ...

The nature of interractions between all parties at your Parktown Station will remain unknown to you. To SAEngine, CrayFish and everyone who cares to see me ... you have a chance sometime this month!! Come get a free beer! Cheers!! tongue tongue

I'm off to Trafalgar Square!

Never underestimate the power of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 2:31pm On Aug 06, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

Very good try SAEngine!! Very good one ... much better than juvenile CrayFish's brain! Like I said the story is in the picture ... to the extent that whatever transpired before or after that picture has LANDED into my AV DropBox folder as of last night! "Whoever" sent it to me has had a debriefing with them!! It is not for you to understand and not for me to disclose. The summary of what you see is that we know how to get about your SA. Or you'd like me to send through the complete set of images disclosing their identities? No I won't!! Not ethical for their safety and ours.

Back to your delusions ... I wish I had the powers of a spirit to be everywhere at the very same time! Smart operatives will always wear those headgears if they ever cared for their identity in public places! grin grin grin "Whoever" took the shots has applied himself correctly to the basic risks of the task. All my personal images have been applied specifically to prove to SA blockheads that we are REAL in the things we do and say anywhere for the security of Nigeria. You have "seen" me here but you'll never know me. shocked shocked shocked Your comment does not prove that I'm the only person in the world with a head for a specific headgear! cool cool cool It rather fulfils the purpose of the riddles running circles in your brain. Your brother CrayFish was the one who jumped the gun on seeing those two SANDF boys by calling them poor Nigerians using cheap public transport! grin grin grin grin On realising they were SANDF he began his predictable tantrums and insults.

Notice that I have not said or provided anything to jeopardise identities on all sides? That's how to roll: win-win, tête-à-tête and the world keeps going round.

Simple objective:
:: To have you all positively identify your SANDF men and their patterns of public movement.
:: To let you realise that you are easily more vulnerable than other forces that you are quick to insult.
:: To show you that even the least of world's forces are entrenched in your territory for the specific day ...

The nature of interractions between all parties at your Parktown Station will remain unknown to you. To SAEngine, CrayFish and everyone who cares to see me ... you have a chance sometime this month!! Come get a free beer! Cheers!! tongue tongue

You are a loser and THE loser.

You even know to allow you tongue to slip and mention Parktown, when no one even spoke about Parktown.

You can't pull a single post of mine where I called those boys Naai-gerian. Your smoke and mirrors tactic won't work. You fail.

It was always clear who the person under discussion was. The man behind the camera. The guy in the cap! grin specifically, you all4Naai-ja.

You are trying to piece together an argument as you go along. You've got no argument. We can see you idiöt! . You're in the blerry picture! grin

There's no mystery here about debriefs and what-not.

You thought you were going to ridicule SANDF guys and the joke turned out to be on you! You didn't thing this would backfire, but it did.

Hillbrower! You know how to get around South Africa alright. You're blerry there! Naai-gerian Pîmp!

Traveling Citiliner. SMH. You left Lagos to be poor in SA and now you're bitter because the BEE people break your heart.

Loser. grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 2:41pm On Aug 06, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

Simple objective:

What you on about. Next you going to take pics of simons town train stastion and say salors use the train.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Msauza(m): 2:43pm On Aug 06, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

Simple objective:

Photo of SA Navy sailors/sea men taken on the go and were about to board a city liner. I don't know how would you do something so stupid by secretly taking pictures of people in public without their consent. Same, I can do it in Nigeria thousands times.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 2:49pm On Aug 06, 2013
Msauza:

Photo of SA Navy sailors/sea men taken on the go and were about to board a city liner. I don't know how would you do something so stupid by secretly taking pictures of people in public without their consent. Same, I can do it in Nigeria thousands times.

They'll moer him and he'll come crying on Naai-raland about xenophobia and that sort of rubbish.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by LTSHANGY: 3:02pm On Aug 06, 2013
Mike..ZA:
It is not about numbers or size. Here the thing if Nigeria and South Africa were gonna go down the war path .First Relations between both would deteriorate,then indirect threats would be exchanged followed by UN sanctions and International arms ermbargo. Now here's why South Africa is above the rest: Seeing war was on the way both countries start preparing and re arming their armed forces. With this point mentioned we know which country is capable of producing Artillery systems,war planes and tanks.

Am sorry, that is definitely not an answer to my question. More over, Producing war planes and tanks will not be a problem for Nigeria. Artillery system? Hahaha. Please, answer my question.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by LTSHANGY: 3:08pm On Aug 06, 2013
CraigB:

The point is if I'm a child (I suppose this is an insult in Naai-geria grin), then there's nothing wrong with acting like one.

You're are apparently mature. But you're an idiōt.

It's not education level, you say?

Ok then, bright spark, explain the usage in the picture.

well.. U introduced the word 'education' in a bid to insult me, now you dare ask me to explain its usage in the picture? Na garri full dis guy brain o..
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by blackchris: 3:11pm On Aug 06, 2013
Mike..ZA:

dude be honest with yourself by giving proof for every serious claims you make. show us a UN resolution that says two countries that are at war will be faced with economic sanctions and arms embargo.

military sanctions are only used against oppressive regimes to reduce their capability of conventional military against it's citizens like the ones Nigeria faced for decades and we still proved we could engage any battle under such conditions. under such conditions Nigeria almost went on a full scale war with cameroon with france as their backup. if france thought Nigeria was weak, why did they force cameroon to go to court.
so don't tell me about sanctions if you don't know what they are used for.

list the countries that went to war and were sanctioned if you are not a filthy liar.

talking about surviving sanctions, how many MBT does denel produce? how many fighter jets does south africa produce? how many frigates or OPVs? can your SA made rooivalk attack helic fly without french engine? how many transport planes or warships do you produce? as far as i know, denel produces light weapons and that won't win you a war.

SA survived the bush war cos you got outside support from israel, US. you're obviously obsessed with hollywood movies.

how can SA fight any country when you don't even have planes to transport your troops. isn't it a shame that you had to borrow US plane to move your troops around in your own territory.

SANDF is a joke compared to Nigerian military. deal with it or else we send Zimbabwe to invade and take over your country grin

show me the resolution or you shut up about this issue.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 3:14pm On Aug 06, 2013
LT SHANGY:

well.. U introduced the word 'education' in a bid to insult me, now you dare ask me to explain its usage in the picture? Na garri full dis guy brain o..

Obviously, you can't.

You've been confirmed foölish yet again.

Hope this post was educational to you, Neanderthal.

98% Naai-gerians fail English. You can't talk to me, ape man.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 3:22pm On Aug 06, 2013
andrewza:

What you on about. Next you going to take pics of simons town train stastion and say salors use the train.

Whatever delights your hearts!! Apparently the message is not for you to appreciate !! grin grin
If that happened at your Parktown Station, I wonder what you'll say if it were your Simons Town station.

No one seems able to figure out the depth of what I have shared ... too many SA brains asleep?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 3:38pm On Aug 06, 2013
Msauza:

NaijaPikinGidi:

Simple objective:

All you see is a harmless still picture. But what you don't know and can't see is what transpired on AV record before they were led off! My comment above is straightforward. cool cool

Go take pictures in Nigeria? grin grin grin Nobody go help you from soja or olopa hand! shocked shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by blackchris: 3:38pm On Aug 06, 2013
@mike..za.
am still waiting for the resolution i asked for. and please don't change the subject
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by saengine: 3:46pm On Aug 06, 2013
Quest for the Maroon Beret

What it takes to become a SANDF paratrooper. 30 minute clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xsCdTYxHwCs[
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 3:55pm On Aug 06, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

All you see is a harmless still picture. But what you don't know and can't see is what transpired on AV record before they were led off! My comment above is straightforward. cool cool

Go take pictures in Nigeria? grin grin grin Nobody go help you from soja or olopa hand! shocked shocked shocked

What transpired is that the man in the cap, aka All4Naai-ja/ Naai-jaPigoon pulled out his cheap camera phone.

Excited at the prospect of showing other forumites what was in front of him, he snapped a pic.

The imbecïle then happily uploaded the pic, forgetting that he was giving his location away in the process.

Naai-gerians are born underlings.

Is the South African winter so cold for you that you cannot think straight? We know how you losers freeze into cheese blocks in SA. How was the Citiliner trip? Enjoyed the three-star coach?
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by CraigB: 4:00pm On Aug 06, 2013
NaijaPikinGidi:

Whatever delights your hearts!! Apparently the message is not for you to appreciate !! grin grin
If that happened at your Parktown Station, I wonder what you'll say if it were your Simons Town station.

No one seems able to figure out the depth of what I have shared ... too many SA brains asleep?

The idiöt keeps putting his foot in it.

Now he happens to know about Parktown. Who mentioned Parktown? Hillbrower. grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by NaijaPikinGidi: 4:14pm On Aug 06, 2013
If this senseless i.diot called CraigB didn't mention Parktown Station how would I have known? If AndrewZA didn't come talking about Simons Town Station who would have known about sailors being there?

Sadly you continue to forget that internet technology is cheaply available everywhere, everytime! Use your Google Map and the hints you have provided will popup street-level views! Never seen a kid this brainless ... in our new age of computers, email, DropBox and all. CrayFish!! Na who do you this thing sef? grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (615) (616) (617) (618) (619) (620) (621) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 204
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.