Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,689 members, 7,924,220 topics. Date: Sunday, 18 August 2024 at 06:42 AM

Igbos come show your proverbs skills - Culture (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos come show your proverbs skills (284668 Views)

Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / Igbos come show your proverbs skills - (Part 2) / Yorubás come show your proverbs skills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (101) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by ifyalways(f): 6:56pm On Feb 01, 2008
dalu. kiss
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by presido1: 7:18pm On Feb 01, 2008
youngies:

Ify,

The Igbo word for window is "mpio"

Am still searching for table
I disagree although amaghi m aha igbo ya mana obughi mpio. mpio bu ebe ewu na okuko na esi alaba na ulo ha ma chi jiee.
Ify ke kwanu?
Igbo si na akoruo e'geruo.
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by ifyalways(f): 7:38pm On Feb 01, 2008
you disagree when i maghikwa ihe d thing bu,o kwa ya?
am begining to take 'mpio' ma o bu 'onu mpio' it looks closer than any other word.
a nom nma na eme jollyment na aka faky kiss

pres ginikwanu bu isi ilu gi aa?o kwa a gwalam gi atuzina ilu na enyem mmadu isi owiwa here.gini kwanu bu 'a koruo,e geruo'?
i guess na o bu ajambele cheesy
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by presido1: 7:47pm On Feb 01, 2008
ifyalways:

am begining to take 'mpio' ma o bu 'onu mpio' it looks closer than any other word.
If its not panadol u know the rest.
ifyalways:

pres ginikwanu bu isi ilu gi aa?o kwa a gwalam gi atuzina ilu na enyem mmadu isi owiwa here.gini kwanu bu 'a koruo,e geruo'?
onye aturu la ilu kowara ya ego ejiri luo nne ya lipsrsealed hope u know the rest.

Tuu wu isi opi tuturu wu ihe e'gbutere na opi.
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by ifyalways(f): 7:59pm On Feb 01, 2008
nke ahu gbasara gi.
i refuse to get isi owuwa cos of your olden days ilu na akpalaokwu.

@topic nwata kwocha aka,o soro ogalanya rie nri- - -nna men,i cant kowala this now
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by presido1: 8:19pm On Feb 01, 2008
ifyalways:

nke ahu gbasara gi.
i refuse to get isi owuwa because of your olden days ilu na akpalaokwu.
Those are the days when ilu have meaning.
In 1951 ano m with mma-mma nke ukwu(ground mum), that was the first time i came to Nigeria. This old woman ana atu ilu like no man biz that was the first time i had the last ilu nturu na threadia. So i asked her the meaning she responded with the second to the last ilu nturu ebe a. Hope u gat the scope.(check out my 2nd to last and the last ilu)Finaly she was able to analyse my last ilu. To kowasiate, the last one means that the first sound from opi sounds tuuuu and other sound that comes, like tuturu is the outcome of the first sound tuuu. eji m na aka na ina akachi the gist.
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by ifyalways(f): 8:27pm On Feb 01, 2008
infact nke a ka njo.anyway echi m ga echi obi ruru ala were leba ya anya.for now obi m no somewhere else. wink ka chi foo. kiss
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by presido1: 8:30pm On Feb 01, 2008
Ify!!!
okwa gi turu ilu na nwata kwochaa aka osoro ogalanya rie nri. dont rush it wash your hands welu welu u will get the scope.
Odi m sure na owughi ebe nwanne drogba di ka obi gi now. grin grin grin
where is fake my broda sef?
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by ifyalways(f): 8:38pm On Feb 01, 2008
ok onweghi zi ebe m gaje now.
ngwa buru bia now,a nom ya.
faky no nma. grin
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by echelon(m): 12:47pm On Feb 02, 2008
Ilu Igbo continues

Ulo choro ichi echi bu naani nwanyi ka a na-amu n'ime ya
A clan that wants to cease existence gives birth to only females

O bughi onye siri ofe kwesiri ikwu na ofe ya di uto nke ukwu; o bu ndi meturu ya onu ga-ekwu otu o di
It's not he that prepared the soup should say how sweet it tastes; it's for those that ate it to decide

Ekele oge uguru bu n'akuku ekwu oku
Harmattan greetings is done by the fireside

O bu nwayoo nwayoo ka agbogho ji ericha nri juru afere
The young maiden consumes a plateful of food little by little

Onye choro ikpofu ahihia o zatara n'ezi, mgbe ahihia ahu di otu nkata aghaghi ime ya ngwa ngwa, karia mgbe onye ahu hapuru ya, o wee kpachie isi ulo
Whosoever wants to dispose refuse obtained by sweeping the yard when it's just one basket should do so otherwise the refuse would grow too much and block the house's entrance

And here is the longest I've heard:

Mbe-di-ogu ka ndi iro ya biara n'ulo ya ka ha buru ya, o wee rio ha chere ka ya bia, n'ihi na ya ekwetal isoro ha gaa n'ebe o bula ha choro. Ndi ahu wee hapu ya n'ala ma na-ele ya, ka ha mara ihe o choro ime. Ha kwuo si O buru oso, o gaghi agbalaga! Mbekwu zopu otu ukwu, ma zopu nke ozo, ha niile na-ele ya zii ka aturu. O wee jiri aka ya abuo na ukwu ya wee bokasia ala. O wee gwa ha si, "Ugbu a, buru m gaa ebe unu choro, n'ihi na onye o bula biara ebe a, aghaghi ikwu na nwoke na ibe ya gbara mgba di egwu, tupu aka kariri ibe ya wee maburu ya"

Once upon a time, enemies came to take the tortoise away, the tortoise begged them to wait let him get ready since he has agreed to go with them to any where they want. His enemies left him on the ground, looking at him to knwo what he is up to. The said that if he wants to run, he can't run away! The tortoise made a few steps with his hands and feet and they were looking at him like fools. The tortoise then dug some shallow holes on the ground. He then told them, "Now, take me to wherever you want, because anyone that comes here will not fail to say that two men wrestled greatly before the stronger side won and took hold"

Ilu Igbo enweghi ogwugwu
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by ifyalways(f): 1:12pm On Feb 02, 2008
hmmmn echelon dalu.your work here is well appreciated !
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by Kashif(m): 8:26am On Feb 04, 2008
@Echelon, I kpara ihe ewu n'eri.

@Ify, obughi n'akwukwo ka msi eweputa ilu. Ilu nile mturu ebea si m n'isi. Oke supiri supiri emela ka m daa mba n'ilu nihi na oburu mgbe m bu afo ime asuru oha nri, aka m eji ilu wee tujuo ebea. K'osina di, kama egbe ama efe chacha, ya fee dika udele!

Lekwa akuko ilu echelon chetara m site n'ilu ikpe azu O turu:

Mbe jere ori na be ogo ya. Ogo ya wee jide ya kee ya agbu, were ya togbo na mbara ebe onye obula n'agafe ga ahu ya. Ka chi boro, ndi mmadu n'agafe ije ahia wee hu mbe wee juo "omere gini?". Ewee za si na "o jere ori na be ogo ya". Mmadu dum wee tie mkpu si mbe "I mere aru! Olee otu Isi wee chochaa ebe I ga ezu ori, owee buru be ogo gi?. Ntaramahuhu a ana enye gi bu ihe kwesiri gi"

Orue na uhuru chi mgbe ndi jere ahia lotawara, ha hukwa mbe ebe ahu ekere ya agbu. Ha wee juo "obu gini ka mbe mekwara ozo eji wee kekwaa ya agbu?" Ewee zakwa ha si "obukwa ori abu ozuru na be ogo ya". Ora jere ahia wee tie mkpu si ogo mbe "afo joro gi njo! Obu maka na ogo gi zuru ori na be gi ka iji wee kee ya agbu ka mgbe ututu wee rue kita? Oburu na ozughi ori na be gi, kedu onye i choro ka ozuo na be ya? Biko topu ya maka na obughi ya bu mbu zuru ohi!"

The tortoise went to steal in his inlaw's house and was caught by his inlaw. He was bound hand and feet and kept at the road where passers-by will see him. In the morning when people were leaving to the market, they saw the tortoise and asked "what did he do?". When they were told what he did, they all blamed him for the seeming abomination and told him he deserved all he got.

In the evening however, when the traders were going back from the market, they saw the tortoise once more and enquired what his offence was this time. They were told he has been there since that morning regarding the theft at his inlaw's house. This time, they condemned his inlaw, saying he was heartless. "Is it because of the theft? Now tell us, if he does not steal from your house, where will he still? Set him free and let him go!"

Moral: Justice could be reversed if overdone!
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by youngies(m): 10:58am On Feb 04, 2008
presido1:

I disagree although amaghi m aha igbo ya mana obughi mpio. mpio bu ebe ewu na okuko na esi alaba na ulo ha ma chi jiee.

Presido, ekwere ekwe na ana akpo ebe ewu na okuko na esi alaba na ulo ha ma chi jiee "mpio".

Mana oburu na i lee anya nke oma, i ga ahu na ndi akpoghi ya "uzo" why? Probably because it is more like a window than a door! grin

Mind you na ndi Igbo also say that na obu mpio ka a thief na esi abata n'ulo.
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by ifyalways(f): 3:52pm On Feb 04, 2008
@kashiff dalu.nsogbu a dighi.
@youngies hehe,i nwere o here i tupuru pres onu.onye si na i zataghi ya,ya na onwe ya o mara ya ? cheesy cheesy cheesy

kashiff na echelon ya gaziere unu ooo.you guys are the bomb.

@topic,a gbacha oso,a guo mile. grin nke a ilu engli-igbo cheesy o kowala onwe ya jare !
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by Zandra1(f): 5:14am On Feb 05, 2008
Ilu nkem ga atu bu this: "nwata etoghi eto wara ogodo ikuku eburu ya buru ma ogodo ya".
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by youngies(m): 11:34am On Feb 05, 2008
Zandra1:

Ilu nkem ga atu bu this: "nwata etoghi eto wara ogodo ikuku eburu ya buru ma ogodo ya".

Mana rotakwa oturukpokpo anaghi ako n'akpa dibia cheesy
Chamlets are never in short supply in a herbalist's bag
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by oziomatv(m): 12:13pm On Feb 05, 2008
onye ngafu ije ka onye isi awo ihe ama
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by Zandra1(f): 2:08pm On Feb 05, 2008
@ youngies, na wa o. Inu gi nke a di egwu oo cheesy. Anube mya mana eji mu uche ghota ya. Nga atu ozo ma emecha.
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by SuperNaija: 6:12pm On Feb 05, 2008
Good idea!
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by youngies(m): 10:15am On Feb 06, 2008
Zandra1:

@ youngies, na wa o. Inu gi nke a di egwu oo cheesy. Anube mya mana eji mu uche ghota ya. Nga atu ozo ma emecha.

I'm suprised na inubeghi ya before, but don't you worry that's why we are all here - to learn

Abada nwere onye ona ekwesi grin
The wrapper has someone it fits
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by emmydee(m): 2:24pm On Feb 06, 2008
Kama n'ga eje inyu anyu, ma zoro a zoro, k'mburu na afo
Rather than step on feces while on an attempt to defecate, let me carry it inside my stomach
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by emmydee(m): 2:36pm On Feb 06, 2008
Onye ya n'okuko na adigh na nma, ya n'oku ekwe adigh n'nma, onya ga agwa ya na chi efona.

He who is not in speaking terms with the cock, and not in speaking terms with the town crier, who will now inform him when the day breaks?
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by emmydee(m): 2:41pm On Feb 06, 2008
Ukwu jie agu, Mgbada a'bia ya ugwo

When the Lion has a broken limb, a smaller animal (its prey) comes asking for his debt
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by emmydee(m): 2:46pm On Feb 06, 2008
Onye rachara oke biri nwanyi ma kpo nye aja n'ike ya, ike oke biri nwanyi ga agu ya ubochi ozo

He who pours sand inside an old woman Virgina after making love to her shall have need to make love to her again in the nearest future.

Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by youngies(m): 5:50pm On Feb 06, 2008
emmydee bring it on, more more cool
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by ifyalways(f): 6:47pm On Feb 06, 2008
emmydee:

Onye rachara oke biri nwanyi ma kpo nye aja n'ike ya, ike oke biri nwanyi ga agu ya ubochi ozo

He who pours sand inside an old woman Virgina after making love to her shall have need to make love to her again in the nearest future.

nna ilu nke a kpukwa oku na onu.dalu emmydee and bring more.
kashiff na echelon,ole otu eke si anya anwu?
youngies hehe,ndewwo.
@topic,anu gbala taa,echi bu nta----tomorrow is another day cheesy grin tongue
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by oziomatv(m): 6:55pm On Feb 06, 2008
Adighi aju ajuju **** ebe ana amu nwa.
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by presido1: 7:12pm On Feb 06, 2008
oga nga dibe anaghi anwu osiso mana ego anaghi ano ya na aka.
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by Kashif(m): 8:49am On Feb 07, 2008
Ify, ndewo. Umu ibe, unu anwuchula.

Nkita si na ihe mere oji eso onye afo ukwu bu na o nyughi anyu, o gboo agbo
The dog follows a pot bellied man because if he does not purge, he will surely regurgitate

Nkita si ka atupuru ya okpukpu n'ezi, hapuru ya ogu ya na ndi mmuo
Toss a bone to the dog outside and forget about how he wrestles the spirits

Egwu nkita bu onye daara onye, onye a daara ibe ya
When dogs play, they take turn to submit to each other

Ihe tagburu nkita na-ata ajo aru
Any animal that kills a dog must be a fierce/ferocious biter/devourer

Nkita nwanyi zuru n'ata akwa okuko
Any dog trained by a woman eats egg

Onye rere nkita zuta enwe, ihe ntukwu ka nokwa be ya
He who sells a dog and buys a monkey should be aware that an animal that sits is still in his house

Ona abu ana anwuputa nkita akpiri, ana-egosi a ya
If you are pulling parasites from a dog's body, you must be showing it to it

Nkita adighi ata okpukpu anyawara ya n'olu
A dog does not eat the bone it wears on its neck

Adighi eti nkita ihe ubochi o wufuru mmanu, kama obu ubochi o wufuru ogiri
A dog is not beaten the day it spills the palm oil but on the day it spills the by product

Nkita richaa, eze ere ewu
The dog eats filt, but it is the goat's teeth/dentition that tarns.

Umu Igbo kachaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa nu! Udo diri unu. Unu ma na ebule laa azu, o bia ogu. A na m abiakwa.
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by emmydee(m): 11:00am On Feb 07, 2008
Ka isi enyi si anyi ya aru, ka nke ndanda si anyi kwa ya.

The head of an elephant is as heavy on it as the head of an ant is on the ant.
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by youngies(m): 11:14am On Feb 07, 2008
Udo!!

Tomorrow in the town of Atani in Ogbaru LGA of Anambra State, one of foremost son of ndi Igbo will be laid to rest. The Onitsha main market as well as other big markets in Anambra will be closed as a mark of respect.

If you got a minute, please say a prayer and pay respect to one and only . . . . .

Chief Ositadinma Patrick Osadebe -The king of highlife music
Osili nwa mama!!
The Umenyi 1 of Atani

Adieu!!!!
Re: Igbos come show your proverbs skills by ifyalways(f): 6:17pm On Feb 07, 2008
@Kashiff ndewo.
@youngies awwwwwwww a maghikwam na Osadebe a nwuola. cry cry cry cry
what a loss cry cry cry cry eze higlyfe.

cry cry cry cry cry
sad sad sad sad sad sad

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (101) (Reply)

African Weddings From All Over! / Keggites Members : Introduce Yourself & Ilya / Yoruba Idioms: Owe Yoruba, Itunmo Re Ati Lilo Re

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.