Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,391 members, 7,940,492 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 07:11 AM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (249839 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 12:17am On Jun 27, 2011
I'm happy for you! Your next lesson is learning the rules of co-habitation.

That's why I'm here to teach it.

Get your pen and paper and start taking notes as I respond to various issues.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 4:43am On Jun 27, 2011
"The money you lost in bank savings is a reparated funD to cover military cost."

^^^

Dat was funny , hahahaha
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ogbuefi11: 2:18am On Jun 28, 2011
I wonder why my posts are not here, Hmm,
@Exotik, 1)Zik was a proud Igbo and in his book(My Odyssey) he asserted that his ancestry was Benin both paternally and maternally.This was why he also asserts that Benin was the land of his ancestors ; however he is of assimilated stock and every ethnic nationality of Nigeria has her own share of assimilated stock.In Benin the Agho-Obaseki family are of Anioma origin(Nsukwa kingdom) as well as the Abbey(Iweluani) family from Abbi in the Ndokwa axis yet these people are proud Benins.
Those of us in Delta state know our history and this is one of the reasons why we were bitter abt the killings in Benin.However not all Anioma people are of assimilated stock.Most were of Eastern Igbo origin and this group were the earliest to settle on the land(at Ubulu Uku c900 AD).Those who say that Ezechime was an Igbo man were basing their arguements with the name.Name change as people settle in newer territories to take leadership.Let me give more examples, the founder of Abbi clan in Ndokwa was one Amacha from Achalla near Awka but his nickname was Abbi the appelation used for the warriors who bear the Odogwu title.In Igbodois the sub clan of Ilabor which was founded by Kehue from Ukhun near Ekpoma; now the original name was Ojezua whixh is still borne in Esanland.The claim of those using names as a justification to say Ezechime was not from Benin is baseless no matter how well thought it is.

2)Onitsha is traditionally praised as Onitsha Ado N'Idu becaue Ezechime the father of the three founders of the town namely Oreze, Diei and Chimaevi was of Udo origin. Ado(our name for Udo) N' Idu simply means Udo of Benin kingdom.Mind you Onitsha has nine qts hence the title Onitsha Ebo Itenani(meaning Onitsha land of 9 communities) and many perhaps most of the natives of the town donot descend from the three founders of the town.Others came from different places.The three founders founded three out of the 9(at present 8 qtrs) qtrs of the town thus it is aslo wrong to assert that all Onitsha people came from Benin.Besides our traditions also states that they left after a generation or two after they settled in Obior(there is a monument in that town in Delta State) and they were already assimilated as Igbos before they founded the town.Let me give more elaboration on this; The ancestral masquerades of Onitsha speak the dialect of Obior where they came from and not the Edo language.Also in the town are the Ogbeolu, Obikporo and Umuikem villages who came from Igala whose masquerades differ in speaking the Igala language.Thus Onitsha is much more complex than just saying "they came from Benin".
Even amongst us in Delta State, the Ezechime clan is not homogenous in composition.The largest town here is Issele Uku and there are 8 quarters.The founder of the town was said to be the youngest son of Ezechime named Oligbo but on reaching the site of the town, he met people there,These people were of Nri origin.This is why all Obis of Issele Uku are installed by the rulers of Ogboli(the settlement founded by these Nri people).The sons of Oligbo founded Umuezeisei, Ogbeutu and Ogbofu qtrs of the town.More Nri people founded Idumuinei and Ogbe Owele qtrs while the village of Ukpai were later arrivals from Obior.From this description you will also see that Issele Uku is not completely of Edo ancestry.

3)On the issue of the Iyoba , that is our own version of events at that time and because it was not written everyone can claim whatever story he or she wants because it is the one that is most pleasing to him.But one thing I can say is that the title of Iyoba of Benin certainly inspired us to craete the Omu title used by our people.Of course a close encounter would have facilatated that.Whether you believe or not or because it hurts our pride as a Benin man is your cup of tea.

MORE ON BENIN TITLES BORNE IN IKA(and Aniomalands)
This was one point used by Physics MHD to justify why the Benins should hold on to Igbanke because in his thought the Ika kingdoms bear "Benin titles" and the fact that the Ogisi title of Ozanogogo(remarkably absent in Ozanisi which was founded on Benin territory and have never being disputed) being derived from the Obi of Agbor is no big deal.It is true that many of our titles were derived from the titles borne in Benin , but the fact is that there are a lot of features tht makes Anioma titles unique and cannot be claimed as just titles borrowed from Benin.Let me even start by saying that borrowing of titles between nationalities is no big deal.Afterall the Benin king's title OBA was apparently borrowed fromYorubaland as well as many of the deities of Edoland.
1)The Anioma titles borrowed from Benin always have an Anioma feature to it and this is why these titles have a dual naming system.The official name might be of Edo origin but the other title associated with it are of indidgeous origin and it is customary in Aniomalands for natives to take as family greetings the indigenous versions of those titles that are supposed to have been derived from Benin.Let me give some examples

1)Iyasere or Iyase( from Iyase) Onowu is the native name

2)Isama (from Esama) Akwue is the native name

3)Osume( from Osuma) Afah is the native name

4)Isagba(from Esogban ) Ajei is the native name

5)Daike or Ndanike( from Edaiken) Omodi is the native name.

6)Imague(from Imague) Ojiba is the native name

7)Uwolor(from Eholor) Ojogba or Agba is the native name

coolOzoma or Ozomor(from Ezomor) Onya is the native name

9)Osodi( from Osodin) Odu is the native name

10)Oza( from Oza) Okita is the native name

These are just few examples and this applies to virtually all parts of Aniomalands.And because it has always being the custom of the Anioma to give a dual naming arrangement for our titles it became the feature even of titles that are exclusively of Anioma origin

1)Obi(Dei or Dein and Igwe)

2)Ike Obi(Akogwu)

3)Ogude(Onoli)

4)Odogwu(Abi)

5)Alanza(Odua)

6)Okwulegwe(Alum) etc.
It is that dual identity that reflects from the fact that the so-called Odionweries of Igbanke(the name they are also known in Agbor and Abavo) are also called Okparans or Diokpas or the Ojehs of Igbankes are also called Ezes or the chifs called Ohaime(in Edo) or Olinzele(in Igbo).The unique feature is that the so called Odioweries carry the lineage's OFO which is definitely not of Edo origin and they are often the coronation chiefs of their communities another unique Anioma trait within them.Besides all Ojehs of Igbanke follow the principle of primogeniture which is the case in Ikaland .Th Ogisi title of Oza does not fall under the category.

11)Many towns have unique titles that are peculiar to them.For instance the title of Ogisi does not exist in Igbodo nor do our unique title of Ayiwe existing in Agbor.The fact is that the Ogisi title binds Ozarra to Agbor , nobody has claimed Ozanisi because it is not in Agbor lands .Agbor and Abavo are other two Ika clans sharing boundaries with Benin and while it is true that those supposed Benin titles exist there, there are features that point to the fact that ultimately those titles were derived from a rather independent perspective.In Abavo the Nwagwue or Uwangue(or Ojiba ) is ranked higher than the Iyase.This is not the case in Benin.In Agbor are the following titles
a)UZAMAN(derived from Uzama) There are 10 members unlike the 7 members of Benin and some bear indigenous titles like Agbasogun and Nwadei-Ali(or what the Bein people call Edaiken)
b)IGHAIVO
c)the IDIBO DEIN who are the Palce Chiefs head by the Oweh of Agbor unlike the Uwangue in the case of Benin.No one who therefore wants to be enlightened should just draw up his conclusions and insist that Igabnke must remain "enslaved" in Benin.There is not even one evidence tht the Igbanke are on Beninlands which should have been the reason to jsutify why the Oba insists it is his territory.As far as the Anioma people are concerned, it is just politics since the Benins are desparate to take on take on the Esan and Afenmai as the majority group of the State and one way to achieve this is to have within their supposed area people of other ethnic natinalities like the Anioma and Ijaw.

The Ozarra people did not "adopt" any title from their neighbours ie the Ikas because the title itself is not of their own creation.Every Ogisi is installed by the Obi of Agbor , who created the title for the community .The Obi presents an Ofo staff to the Ogisi who in turn installs chiefs in his own mini cabinet.On Awo recommending that Ozarra be made a clan, I say this story is a fabrication, Where are the documents to prove this ? Because I know Awo and his Action Group were in charge up to 1963 so why did he create Oza clan if it truelly exists, Besides creating "Oza clan" is baseless since in Benin the political system and settlement pattern is based on the kingdom and not on clans which is the case in Aniomaland.

So ii indeed Igbanke is an Edo community when has it become the custom for the Oba to create 6 Enogie titles in one town? Let me emphasize tht as much as many of the morning greetings of the Igbanke people share some similarities( and this is the case in Agbor, Abavo and Owa) with Benin , these families cannot be traced to those with similar greetings in Benin.These greetings are just unique features of these 4 Western Ika clans.
ON EFEIZOMOR
I am learning here, Many Anioma people bear Benin names and the phenomenon is strongest in the Agbo area, It reduces as yu go further to the East, But one unique thing is that many Anioma rulers for reasons known to them bear titles that have meanings (somewhat in Edo).In my town Igbodo our kings before this present one had an Edo title IYEKE(meaning back).Now, when I made my investigation , it was said to have meant that the king is the backbone of the community hence the name.

@Negro_Nts, I dey laugh you.Now let us critically look at your points which really would come from a mind of a man who has failed woefully to carry out some reasearch and to just come here and write rubbish.Let me go through some of your points,

1)The Coup was an Igbo coup, This is what people say because of the outcome and it became an issue at the Oputa Panel.I personally followed the events at the panel and when the time came fro the people to justify why it should be called an Igbo coup, The only point they did was to point at the outcome of the coup and this is not enough eveidence to call it an Igbo coup.Apart from the fact that one of the actors(there are five of them) of the coup was not even an Igbo the reasons why the outcome turned out like that was clearly explained at the Panel which those who have called it Igbo Coup failed to contradict.In the North and West the coupists were met with fire war with the supposed "innocent" , Akintola himself was said to have been the one who was shooting personally until he ran out of ammunition.In military tactics, you only shoot when you are shot upon.This was the reason for the casualties.In the East we knew a sovereign was visiting the region , tht was enough to kill frusstrate any attempt to plot a bloody coup there.As for the Midwest, it was probably too small or young as a distinct region to be taken seriously.
Alex Madiebo was the guy who was supposed to have arrested Ironsi(both are Igbos) but he revealed the details of the coup to Ironsi who quickly mobilized his men and crushed the rebellion by Ifeajuna in Lagos.To say that no Igbo was killed in the January Coup is a sign of madness, I dont mean to be insultive.
In the North most of those who carried out the damage were of Northrn origin commanded by Nzeogwu.Even after the failed Coup Nzeogwu denied if their intention had any tribal colouration to it.It was an inconclusive coup and as such to brand it as an Igbo coup is just to rewrite what happened.It is just being promoted for the sake of "National Unity"
At no time were the coup plotters mandated by Igbo leaders who were the most prominent and disciplined of all the politicians of the first Republic to carry out any coup to overthrow a Govt which they were a major stakeholder.It is not possible.

2)When people talk of murder of Yoruba and Haussa leaders in "cold blood", Apart from Akintola who was the prominent Yoruba leader killed who were the others ? Or was he shot as an unarmed man ? While I note here that the killings were unfortunate , the fact remains that the Saudana was armed when he was killed and the method of operation used by Ifeajuna in Lagos was not the best and his unstabled character even led to his execution in the Biafran enclave.But at least there were still prominent leaders like Awo, Aminu Kano because I know they were not killed.
People like you would justify the killings in Rwanda in 1994 because the President(a Hutu) was brought down in a plane by suspected Tutsi rebels , justs as you are now saying that all Igbos who suffered and killed ( about 800,000 of them ) in the war was a justification of that supposed "Igbo coup".Were the Igbos responsible for the killing of Fajuyi ? Why was his killers never brought to justice ? Afterall those who did the Igbo coup Ifeajuna, Okafor, Nzeogwu and Anuforo were all killed , but the Yoruba(Ademoyega) amongst the "Igbo coup" plotters is alive and kicking.

3)"when you start a fight" This was the word used by this wicked man, Yes I used that word wicked , and perhaps evil.For attempting to rewrite history.I wonder if you have read the Aburi Accord.Did Gowon not sign it ? Did it say Nigeria should be disintegrated ? Or was Ojukwu who is being blamed for engaging Nigeria in a fight not a signatory as well ? The fight as far as I am concerned was a fight over economic resources which was vast in the East and if the confederal principles noted in the agreement had been it would have given the East an "unfair" economic advantage.It was Nigeria that disrespected the Accord because they have been assured by International groups led by Britain/Soviet Union of assistance(if it decides on war) in return for the same economic benefits.I am aware that the first shots of the war were shot at Gakem(in Cross River) and these were from the federal troops.On of the reasons which Nigeria fails to address is the reason for the declaration of Biafra, Would Igbos who were in the vanguard of an independent Nigeria suddenly wake up and say they want Biafra ? I doubt it is a reaction to the senseless killings of civilians, Over 30,000 unarmed people were killed just within 3 months for no reasons other than their ethnicity.Nobody has till today been brought to book for that.At least those who did the abominable "Igbo Coup" were all killed.
If such an irresponsible act had happened of recent many people including some of those who became our "leaders" in this country would have ended up in the Internaional Court.The reaso for the killings was that it would be a parting "gift" to Igbos since the North was no longer ready to remain in Nigeria.It was after the American and British High Commissioners had convinced them that the North was unviable as a country of its own that suddenly the slogan of "One Nigeria", "Unity in Diversity" and "Keeping Nigeria One is a Task That Must Be Done" became the mantra of these same people responsible for those organized killings which apparently is still the case till today.

4)Butcher innocent lives starting in Benin Up till Ore, So who were the innocent lives killed in Benin ? Because I have said it seveally without contradicting myself that in the initial thrust by Biafran forces into the Midwest not even one single civilian life was killed.I have challenege anyone to contradict this assertion but if you say that the soldiers killed during the invasion were innocent lives , I began to ask when has soldiers in acts of war being described as "innocent", It was when the federal troops responded that stories of people killed began to make news, It could have come from anywhere, federal or Biafran but I tell you that when Banjo(a Yoruba man not an Igbo ) led the Ore battle which was the turning point of the advance by Biafran forces he could not have ordered Biafran troops to kill his people within the few days he was stuck there and undecided.It was the same reason I noted earlier that could have led to the lost of civilian lives in Benin was just the same situation in Ore.It was when the Biafran forces had been pushed eastwards that the organized and selective killings of Anioma people occured in Benin , Sapele and Warri by what Physics MHD says it is by "a small group"
In Igbodo my hometown, a battle similar to what transpired in Ore took place and just like the case in Ore many civilians were killed.The son of the Chief Priest of the Kingdom at that time was not spared.Many more died when they fled into the bush without food for days.When the Biafran troops were pushed out the entire town was engulfed in stench of human remains and theese people were buried in mass graves.Even after that the federal troops rounded up my people and insisted that our Obi should kneel and beg for his people, Of course the safety of his subjects was most paramount and he had to do it not after they have already killed over 11 people including two brothers.This was after they moved to commit genocide at Isheagu and Asaba.
That of Asaba was dramatic.Unlike the Isheagu episode were they summoned the town and shot everyone including my pregnant aunt(my mum's elder sister was married in that town) at site, the Asaba men were asked to remain why the women were sent home .Thereafter those within their reach were shot dead.What of the killings in Aboh ? Simply because they tried to smuggle food to Biafra ? I can go on and on and see if those supposed killings of "innocent" people in Benin and Ore is a match for the genocide they committed in Igboland.

5)Igbos generally regard Ojukwu as a hero and history will be fair to him because he was not the one who disrespected the Aburi Accord.To this day devolution of power remains a hot topic in Nigeria and people are here trying to brand Ojukwu as a villain.That can be the case.Considering the atrocity of the pogrom of which not even one individual has been brought to book, I think Ojukwu to standing for Igbos in that time of trouble ought to be a hero, Many of those things he stood for still remains relevant to this day.In fact he is a visionary leader.

6)On Okpara sending the coup plotters, lol, very funny because I know Okpara lived up to the eighties and died a poor man because he lived for Ibos.But Okpara sponsoring the coup is rubbish because nothing was hidden during the war since Igbo leaders themselves at that tme were suspects.And if the Federal Govt had suspected Okpara we would have all known.I think this fellow is from the North ie Negro_Ntns because most Southern Nigerians as much as they see Okpara as an Igbo leader they would never suspect Okpara to have arranged for such a coup, In order to kill regional leaders , such an arguement is chiddish and just a ploy to brand the January Coup as Igbo coup.Let me complete the story, probably Okpara had silently planned the coup with Ironsi since both of them come from the same division in Abia State.The full arrangement would perhaps be that once Ironsi had taken over he would perhaps hand over to him Okpara, lol, I just remebered the statement by the fiery Yohanna Madaki of Kaduna South who noted that he would have even involved himself in the coup that claimed the Saudana because the Saudana for Norhtern Minorities represents nothing but imperialism.He also note that his people were used and dumped after the war.This was even the story of the Ijaw after they lost Isaac Boro, Col Madaki gave this position in response to his controversial retirement after he has deposed the corrupt Emir of Muri in the present Taraba State.

7)Selective promotion in military a complete nonsense and the claim of the coup being made to foster Igbo dominance oof the civil service, Another nonsense which should not be taken seriously.Igbos were dominant in the military and the Civil Service before the "Igbo Coup"

coolWhen you loose war, the victor is obliged to charge you reparations, this statement can only emanate from a wicked individual.Many family was paid 4 pounds not 20 pounds and we lost our property in Calabar.My father dont like to talk abt it because he saw it as an event that should just be forgotten, o him Karma will judge the guilty ones and compensate those who had been cheated.I thank God because the law of Karma has compensated my family.I am not being boastful.I am comfortable , all my siblings and their children are doing well and my children are doing well.Why should I not thank God ? If some people say that the mere 4 pounds was all my father was worth after the war because of "reparation" fine, I know how I suffered in my younger days , my parents are heroes , within very little resouces they fended fr us and gave us the best education.That is the legacy that lasts.Today without any contradiction Igbos especially from Imo, Anambra, Delta , Abia and Enugu states leads the other states in education at least this is what JAMB(accounting for over half of Nigerian graduates) has been saying for more than 30 years now.Those who are involved in Mercantile business are doing well playing such significant roles in all the nook and crannies of the continent.
My father gave me a description of his property on Marian road in Calabar, Even up to 2005 when I visited Calabar, the said property does not look like a house that fits into the kind of houses we have in this 21st century.At least I have the prosperity of the new occupants.
Like what one fellow said here, it is not in the custom of the Igbos to beg, It cannot be and they have demonstrated it just within one generation.Begging on the other is the way of life of those who were the victors of the war even after they got their "reparation", Sch a pity !

9)The Eastern Region was only jubilating, Just another unfounded account to justify the killings.I am not defending anybody here, At times we Igbos because we ahve been bestowed by the creator as achievers we tend to be "pushy" At least that is what the American Library of Congress thinks about about us and we tend to be boastful of our achievements, But why not ? Considering the fact that we are supposed to be "land locked" and cut off from Western Civilization and in the post Civil War era supposed to be silenced economically and politically, But the dogged nature of the Igbo man will alwas be there to keep him above water and why wont be boastful at times, Ok now to the issue were the Igbos really the only ones who jubilated ? Perhaps the Westerners mourned bitterly for so many days for their beloved Premier Akintola who had been accused of rigging and whose region the worst case of post election violence remains in this country.I will not want to go into an arguement with a fool or should I say a goat, Why ? Because these say people said it was one of Celestine Ukwu's song in which he was supposed to have branded Northerners as "goats" as the reason for the killings.I know the song and I can declare here that nothing of such were in those lyrics.But becaus eof complex and a motive to commit genocide they claimed it was just a reason for the killings, The reasons from an objective perspective is simple.The North felf hurt with the lose of some of their leaders and wanted to go their own way backed by such military officer like Murtala Mohammed who is being branded as a "nationalist" (just as the first coup is being branded as an Igbo coup).The killings for them was like a parting gift.It was when they were convinced and assured of support by the West led by Britain that they began to invent stories to justify the killings,

10)The warning to keep off Igbo hands from other people's blood has been heeded, lol.At least I dont think Igbos have been killing people in the name of fighting for religion as compared to the Region which principally fought to keep the "nation as one indivisable entity", The primary interest of an average Igbo is just to survive and be rich if possible and not power or blood letting as with the case of our detractors.Igbos are doing quite well now, Of course we have the lowest rate of poverty in this country and not for once have we lost our dignity as a people and that is the point.A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by vicenzo(m): 3:11am On Jun 28, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

When news of the bloodshed went on air the Eastern region was the only jubilating.

Those few Igbo officers were speaking for and acting on behalf of Okpara, the seat of administration for the people, and therefore by extension, the citizens themselves.
The followup to their success is backed by a widespread sponsorship of Igbo interests and unmerited promotions into corridors of power.

They assasinated in cold blood Yoruba and Hausa leaders and installed a new pattern of sponsorship where Igbos were advaned from low ranks of military and civil service and given headship of departments.

The few acted and spoke for the many.

In the war, why did you butcher innocent lives starting in Benin and all the way to Ore? You claim you were looking for Gowon. Sorry excuse! You deserved what you got.

When you fight and loose war the victor is obligated to charge you reparations.

The money you lost in bank savings is a reparated funD to cover military cost.
Now,somebody is high on kunu.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by vicenzo(m): 3:24am On Jun 28, 2011
exotik:

"The money you lost in bank savings is a reparated funD to cover military cost."

^^^

Dat was funny , hahahaha
Believe me,there is nothing funny about that statement,it killed many igbos,the ones that survived became tougher.
It sent my grandfather to early grave,the old man was too hearthbroken to continue with life,the abandoned property saga that followed,was the last straw that broke the camels back,we became broke.that 20 pounds policy was primarily made to economically strangulate ndiigbo,few couldn't survive it,but those that did,became more determined to bouce back.
exotik:

^^^

Dat was funny , hahahaha
Believe me,there is nothing funny about that statement,it killed many igbos,the ones that survived became tougher.
It sent my grandfather to early grave,the old man was too hearthbroken to continue with life,the abandoned property saga that followed,was the last straw that broke the camels back,we became broke.that 20 pounds policy was primarily made to economically strangulate ndiigbo,few couldn't survive it,but those that did,became more determined to bouce back.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 4:43am On Jun 28, 2011
^
lol, vicenzo, it was funny to me. but sorry dat i can't feel ur pain and i'm sure u definitely can't feel mine, so we are even.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 5:01am On Jun 28, 2011
iguefi, lol @ "Igbos are doing quite well now" you guys are so full of yourselves, yet nothing dey una yansh, hahahaha

i guess igbos are doing quite well, while others are not. but why are igbos the ones who do most of the whining about marginalisation and always looking for "compensation" even where it is not merited, if they are doing so well? it must be greed, huh?

anyway, i don't have time to respond to all your irrelevant points,  i will just pick the ones that interest me.

first and foremost, oba is not a "yoruba" origin word for king and i don't know who came up with that big lie because prior to the reign of eweka 1 who founded the oba dynasty in benin, there was no "oba" in yoruba land. so the first person who was a king to ever take the title "oba" was an edo man. even till now, the oldest yoruba monarchs whom i assume are the "ooni" of ife and "alaafin" of oyo don't bear the title "oba". so how can the word oba now be a yoruba origin word for king? that doesn't make sense.

secondly, you have made it clear time and time again that igbos were the first to embrace western education and even had the first school that is older than edo college in benin, so why did it now take the igbos so freaking long to write down their historical version of the flogging of the iyoba? and how come most of the igbo history are just surfacing? what have they been doing with all the so-called education they embraced so early? using it to learn how to make and perfect akpu?

then u want others to give evidence of civilians who were killed by biafrian soldiers while you have failed to do same. the only evidence you have given so far is that your pregnant aunt got killed by nigerian troops, but who is going to take that seriously when u can easily make up false claims to support your argument. i can as well say my uncle and his pregnant wife who was expecting twins were killed by biafrian troops during the invasion of benin to support mine.

and it seems u don't want others to "rewrite" history while you are doing exactly that, rewriting "history". so why do u feel i/we must bow to your rewritten history and uphold it as the truth?

anyway, im surprised to learn that zik ancestry came from benin both paternally and maternally. hmmm benin has contributed a lot oooo to this nation, so without benin there would have been no zik for igbos to brag about.  so why won't we be proud.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 6:13am On Jun 28, 2011
the only thing i will give to igbos is that they don't really care about tribes when it comes to making money, and they will partner with anybody who is willing and who has the ideas, and their women are not bad at all i must say. and contrary to popular belief, igbo women are not materialistic, the ones i have dealt with anyways. but all those other things igbos use to boost their egos are all false claims coz from what i can see, we are all doing well in nigeria, and that is "just managing". we just dey manage.

and my advice to u iguefi is, turn all these your fictional stories into a movie script and make a nollywood movie out of it. it will be a hit and e go sell not doubt because it will be very controversial, and that is what nollywood is lacking right now, fictional stories that are controversial, that will grab the viewier's attention.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ogbuefi11: 12:19am On Jun 29, 2011
@Exotik,
1)Everyone complains in Nigeria ; even the Northerners who have held power for much of our history complains ! So get that to your skull ! Most of the complains Igbos make are genuine, I believe you have lived in the South East, What can you say about federal presence and the level of infrastructural development in the area ? Why did it take Nigeia more than 50 years to make an Igbo SSG of the federation ? Why did it take Nigeria generations to make Igbos the IG of Police and Comptroller Genral of Customs ? Till date there have not been any Igbo as Chief Justice nor the MD of the NNPC or are they not qualified for those positions ? When Ihejirika was made Army Chief , it was headline news because since those who have governed Nigeria killed Ironsi no Igbo was considered near a position like that.They only projected Ike Nwachukwu because his mum is from Katsina, If not for these compalins perhaps nothing would have gotten to Igboland and I am beginning to see some disparity even with this Jonathan's administration.No approval has been made to site any of the refineries , petrochemical or fertilizer plants in Igboland, I mean that is unfair whereas other regions have been considered.
Apart from what I noted certain parts of Igboland were merged to other areas simply becaus eof Oil Politics, Egbema was lumped to Rivers from Imo, Obigbo(Ndoki) was lumped also to Rivers from Abia while Ndoni an Anioma town with vast gas reserves saw her way to the same Rivers just to reward them for supporting the "National Cause" during the war.Rivers already have vast reserves of these resources why transfering these communities to that state ? But God is Great, Ndoni-Egbema produced the past Rivers Gov Odili while Obigbo is the fastest developing suburb of the Port Harcourt Metropolitan area, And of course a time will come when the child will heed the call of his father.
Igbos too full of themselves, Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha, Why not !!!! I mean considering where we were after the war/the deliberate acts to undermine the progress of Igbos and our present condition now , I think we have to self-praise ourselves, It is not easy.the bulk of the capital used by Igbos are privately driven and owned unlike others whose funds are mainly derived from their connections with Govt, Let us be sincere with ourselves,
Come to think of it , every man has an element of greed, greed for money, wives, land, power, whatever , It is driven by driven based on what he considers as his priotity, If Benins are not greedy what can I say about the riches family in Benin Kingdom, ie the Igbinedion family and the money they lavishly spend on "birthdays" maybe Igbinedion's ancestors migrated originally from Aba or Nnewi, These guys wrecked Edo State and You know it, Acquiring properties everywhere as if you will sleep in 50 bedrooms all at once.

2)Indeed everyone is managing and our economy is bad, But there is what is known as collective achievement and I think and if you are sincere with yourself you'll admit it.Collectively Igbos do well be it in crime( and dont expect me to deny that), politics( if given the chance ) and business and there have numerous instances to prove it. I think personally what drives Igbos is their act of forgiveness , We have forgiven those who killed and hate us for no reason and the result we have grown in leaps and bounds, Of course other Nigerians have grown, the world is growing but it has been amongst Igbos that the growth been more dramatic.
On your recommendation on "my stories" as script for movies for Nollywood, I dont really feel offended by that.Because many films are acted based on what really happened, Of course if I should send and sponsor such a script to Nollywood , it will be the Nigeria Govt that will shoot it down for the sake of "National Unity and Intergration" a mantra we have heard for generations and from facts on ground does not really exists, But their own way are telling the world the story of what happened, Take Chimamanda Adichie's book , it is apparently the story of her family and the irresponsible act and connivance of the Western Govts to crush what is really a fight for self determination and unlike the black man simply for ethnic pride or just tribalism plain and simple, The whites did acknowledged their wrong doings and bestowed on her awards not really on her narrative style but the fact that she nailed the issue right on the head.

3)You dont need to join me in my "irrelevant" posts because intellectually you are a misfit, I am only engaging myself with Physics MHD and I need to challenge that lunatic that goes by the name of Negro_Ntns for displaying such irresponsibility and wickedness, Really I dont really have any time for him but to compare him to those who committed genocide in Rwanda, He is just like one of them, Hate us , Insult us , perhaps pray that we all die, But it is God which we call Chukwu and you call Osalobua that is the author of our fate and destiny, If it was destined that we will be defeated during the war with such draw back , Fine ! Nigeria won the War but did they win the peace ? Countries all over the world are known to have marched more progressively after such wars.Take the US for instance, within a generation they grew to become the most powerful nation on earth, But Nigeria after 41 years after a civil war( to me a near-genocide) the country is presently ranked a shameful 14th on the Failed State Index, People think that by pulling Igbos down politically the country will attain its full potentials, the God of Israel will never approve of that ! And we are seeing signs, I dey laugh people like una.

4)On the OBA title
The vocabulary for the king in Edo is Ogie and in Yoruba is Oba, And it was from the original Edo word the title of ancient Edo rulers Ogiso was derived.If Oba was so Benin why did it come with the coming of Oranmiyan to Benin, Perhaps Eweka(derived from Owomika) could as well be interpreted t have been derived from a native Edo word which is not the case.It is never the custom for people with centralized systems of administration to call their rulers "king" just like that.This is why in Yorubaland you will never hear of a king being called just "Oba".There is always a unique title(usually in form of a praise) associated with such kings eventhough they are Obas. In the Igala kingdom, the word for king is ONU but the paramuont ruler beas the title of ATTAH meaning "father or lord". Amongst the Anioma people the word for king is "Eze" but we prefer to call them Obi or Dei or Igwe.The title used by the rulers of Benin was borrowed just as the title of Owomika (transformed into Eweka) is also of Yoruba origin.Mind you dont think I wholly believe everything Egharevba wrote.I agree completely with the position of the present Oba of Benin when he said Ekaladerhan became Oduduwa.That is what I think happened but Ekaladerhan became assimilated as a Yoruba man because of the mean disposition of his native land, the same reason many towns of Edo origin within Anioma land became assimilated as Igbos. The full title of the Oba is I think Omo N'Oba N'Edo Uku Akpolokpoplo, It is the "Oba" section of the full title that was borrowed from the Yoruba language.

5)I never said Igbos were the first people to embrace Western Education in Nigeria, And dont get me wrong.I was merely comparing the Anioma people(a section of Igbos) and Benins in response to Physics MHD fiery attacks and insults not just on Omonuan but to all the innocent people slaughtered by a "small group" in Benin during the liberation of the City in 1967.The oldest Secondary School in Igboland( correct me if I am wrong) is the Dennis Memorial Grammar School Onitsha founded in 1923.Now compare with the oldest Secondary School in the South South beng the Hope wedall Training Institute founded in 1895 and the CMS Grammer School Bariga Lagos founded in 1878.You can see the disparity with the dates between the three regions of the South.

6)Hahahaha, No Benin , No Zik,,,You are funny how can you compare an individual to an ethnic group, Yes Zik was a great man and he is no more but Benin , Yorubaland, Igboland and wherever are all there and could even produce more Ziks or whoever , It is not our custom in Igboland to worship names and old heroes, You can be who ever you want to be, Be focused and hardworking simple.
Benin I must note here was a great kingdom and had influences far and near with her art works unmatched in style, Her culture rich and inspiring.Anyone who reads me will get the message that I spent some years in Benin.The people indeed are more liberal now (compared to the 1960s)and I dont think the massacre of 1967 will re-occur.There will be many more Ziks/heroes to come , it has nothing to do with origin or ancestry.But going deeper , I learnt from a source that the Benins alledged Igbos were taking over their land simply because Zik said during a visit to the City that it is the "Land of his Ancestors", And invasion of the Midwest aroused suspicion that the Igbos were "annexing Benin lands " just as Zik had noted. You see the mis interpretation of points here ,

7)More on the IYOBA
I am not the author of that story.It is the version of the story of how our towns were founded.And it has always been documented even in the 19th century by the missionaries in Onitsha.It is therefore not a modern invention.It is a question of what you believe.
For you as an Edo man it is sacrilage to think of flogging the Kings mother but for us , it is that act that led to the establishment of 10 or so towns within Aniomaland as well as the creation of the Omu or Queen's title.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 1:56am On Jun 29, 2011
Ogbuefi,

I'm sure u expect a response from me, but this your post is an Amazon.

Let's take it in bits:

<Quote> In the North and West the coupists were met with fire war with the supposed "innocent" , Akintola himself was said to have been the one who was shooting personally until he ran out of ammunition.In military tactics, you only shoot when you are shot  upon.This was the reason for the casualties.In the East we knew a sovereign was visiting the region , tht was enough to kill frusstrate any attempt to plot a bloody coup there.As for the Midwest, it was probably too small or young </quote>

If he wasn't a target, what were the coupists doing in Akintola's office first of all? In a civilian administration, what's a soldier in uniform with troops doing in a politician's compound?

In the West and North, the coupists did not just go after politicians they also went in cantonments and assassinated non-Igbos.

Assuming a dignitary was visiting the Premier, which is doubtful, why did not the coupists then go into cantonments after Igbo officers?

This was nothing but an Igbo premeditated plot to take power by force. It had to be done by eliminating those who will oppose that force.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 3:49am On Jun 29, 2011
lol, iguefi, i avoided insulting you in my last post because from your posts, i realised you are way older than me and even if we are just chatting on the internet, i should give you that respect. but since you couldn't reciprocate it, then sorry you are a big fool.

1) now, what you should get into your thick skull is that societies grow together, that is why i dont care about your "irrelevant" issues coz even if they break all the states down to a point where a street becomes a state, it still won't change anything. the level of  "growth and development" in igbo states will not be so different from those in edo states or yoruba states or even hausa states for that matter. even if the growth and development in igboland is slightly higher, the difference will not be of such an important significance that will make igboland look like a first world country and the land of their closest neighbours remain a third world country. that will never happen. which is why i am also not amongst those clamouring for the break-up of nigeria because it is irrevelant to me, coz no matter how many countries you break the nation into, the quality of life for the average citizens of each nation still won't be different from each other. the igbo nation won't see growth and development that will not flow into the neighbouring countries or vice versa.  ghana is not so different from nigeria and nigeria is not so different from any other west african countries with stable govt and relative peace. and since you are such a historian, you will also notice that benin empire, oyo empire, and aro confederacy all saw growth and decline almost at the same time. i have been to some eastern states and i didn't see anything that made me go "WoW" as if i was in a far more developed land and mingling with far more intelligent and organised people. the only place i could see myself settling in was owerri, cos it almost looked and reminded me of benin. other parts of igboland from asaba to onitsha to aba are dead as far as im concerned. i hear enugu is cool but i have never been there, but as far as enugu is still part of africa and nigeria for that matter, i don't think it will be anything special. and you cannot continue to lay the blame of whatever is happening in igboland on nigeria coz igbos were even the first to stunt the growth of the nation and her young democracy with a senseless coup that led to a senseless war. and according to you, igboland is already 41 post-biafra while nigeria as whole is just 51 post-independence. so the “blame” should not be placed on nigeria coz i guess like they say, a fool at forty will remain a fool forever. 

2) it depends on how you interpret "ogie", to my knowledge ogie can mean "honour" or "praise" it doesn't necessarily translate to king. does the word "king" literally translate to king/monarch? so we can never really tell the reason why people use a word to interpret/represent something. and i actually don't care who oduduwa was, all i know is that he was not yoruba. so who was the first yoruba king/monarch? what title did he take to represent king?  coz ooni and alaafin were offshoots of oduduwa who was not not yoruba. now oranmiyan didn't come with the title "oba", the title "oba" came from eweka, and to my knowledge, eweka was the child of oranmiyan and an edo woman and he spent his life in edo land and not in yoruba land. so i don't see how the word "oba" would have been yoruba, especially when yorubas never had an "oba" pre-Eweka. so how can you have a word for "king" when you never had one? it doesn't make sense. 

3) the word owomika is not even yoruba, it just sounds yoruba. can yoruba people translate owomika? or what does owomika mean in yoruba? i won't claim to know-all but I'm yet to know what owomika mean in yoruba. eweka we are told could not speak as a child. he was a mute. and when he started speaking, the first word he coughed out was "owomika", just because it sounded yoruba does not mean it was yoruba. i can write anything here now that would sound yoruba but would that make it yoruba? no it won't. so my take is that eweka was called the first word he uttered when he started speaking.

4) if you are talking about group achievements, from what i see, the edos are also not doing badly in all fields (crime inclusive).  considering our numbers and resources, we are doing quite well for ourselves. we get marginalised by the federal govt also, but you don't see us whining like pvssies over it like the igbos do, playing the victim card and feeding on it like pathetic losers, instead we work hard to achieve what we want.  you come here to act as if igbos are all united and have one voice, whereas they are the most fragmented group in this country and igbos are their own worst enemies. so come write me another essay about the marginalisation of the igbos, as if they are the only group in nigeria.

5) i was just beginning to respect you, but you are a dumbass.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 4:34am On Jun 29, 2011
and oh,

6) you are also inclined to believe whatever you want, especially what will make you feel powerful. and the flogging of the iyoba is one of those things dat makes u feel powerful. citizens of nations the british colonised (nigerians inclusive) often say "fvck the queen" and it becomes part of their history. but was it ever true? did they ever "fvck the queen" or had the ability to "fvck" her? so why won't the iyoba be "flogged" in anioma and become part of their history. it makes sense.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 9:24am On Jun 29, 2011
"6)Hahahaha, No Benin , No Zik,,,You are funny how can you compare an individual to an ethnic group, Yes Zik was a great man and he is no more but Benin , Yorubaland, Igboland and wherever are all there and could even produce more Ziks or whoever , It is not our custom in Igboland to worship names and old heroes, You can be who ever you want to be, Be focused and hardworking simple.

iguefi, sorry, i just had to come back to this now dat im on my lappy. igbos dont worship names? yet they keep throwing names here and there? just read all your posts and posts by igbos, they are ones who throw names and display pictures of people who are igbos around. they even go out of nigeria to claim african-american celebrities who they feel are of igbo-origin and display their pictures around. how many threads have you seen of edos throwing names and displaying pictures of edos around?  that shyte is resevered for mostly igbos and yorubas who are always competing with each other coz hausas dont do that shyte too. so yeah, you dont only worship names, you also worship past and present heroes. so make una carry on.

.But going deeper , I learnt from a source that the Benins alledged Igbos were taking over their land simply because Zik said during a visit to the City that it is the "Land of his Ancestors", And invasion of the Midwest excited suspicion that the Igbos were "annexing Benin lands " just as Zik had noted. You see the mis interpretation of points here ,

well, you cant blame them when the nigerian soldiers who were supposed to defend the midwest from biafran soldiers, failed to do so because they were mostly of midwest/anioma igbo stock. so riddle me this, why they sit back and not fight? abi nor be dat one be soldier work again, to fight and defend their land from invaders? so was that not "annexing"? school me.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ngodigha: 12:56pm On Jun 29, 2011
@Exotik or whatever moronic name you are called. You tend to insult Ogbuefi1 because he has a superior agreement which your fellow fools here can not match.
For your info, it is Americans of Igbo heritage that has made more efforts at identifying with Ndigbo. In this picture is an American who came to Igboland to identify with Ndigbo. Ihope this settles in your empty cranium, motherphucking lunatic.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 1:28pm On Jun 29, 2011
African Americans don't have a clue who is their ancestral tribe. Igbos go lobby Americans for propaganda goals all in preparation for your next declaration of Biafra.

You have called yourself Jews and Israel has investigated it and ruled it out as impossible.

You now say you originated from Egypt and your pyramid mirrors the Egyptians pyramid. Jew labor was used to put up the pyramids. Who builkt yur pyramids, igbos or Jews?

You couldn't have been Egyptians and have the skills to put up the pyramid because the skillsmanship did not belong to the Egyptians.

If Jews put it up, then why did they not follow Moses across the sea? Was there something you did, as is typical of you, to make Moses banish you from going to the Holy land with him?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ngodigha: 1:45pm On Jun 29, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

African Americans don't have a clue who is their ancestral tribe. Igbos go lobby Americans for propaganda goals all in preparation for your next declaration of Biafra.

You have called yourself Jews and Israel has investigated it and ruled it out as impossible.

You now say you originated from Egypt and your pyramid mirrors the Egyptians pyramid. Jew labor was used to put up the pyramids. Who builkt yur pyramids, igbos or Jews?

You couldn't have been Egyptians and have the skills to put up the pyramid because the skillsmanship did not belong to the Egyptians.

If Jews put it up, then why did they not follow Moses across the sea? Was there something you did, as is typical of you, to make Moses banish you from going to the Holy land with him?

Shu up yor rotten mouth DICKK-HEAD, you should be more concerned with Oduduwa coming from the sky than where some Igbo forumites claim they come from. Castrated maggot.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 2:04pm On Jun 29, 2011
Lmao!! What's wrong, your snuff don finish?

Lamurudu came from Havillah, land of Queen Sheba. That has been written extensively and concluded.

Let us know if there are any more random claims for your ancestral roots.

I tell you what, have you tried North Korea?

Tell them you came from them. If they say no, tell them to compare the similarity in skin color, height, innovation, inclination to separate from parent country, inclination to blame others for your problems and inclination not to get along with your neighbiors.

I'm sure Jim Jong I'll will support your next declaration for Biafra.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ngodigha: 2:10pm On Jun 29, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Lmao!! What's wrong, your snuff don finish?

Lamurudu came from Havillah, land of Queen Sheba. That has been written extensively and concluded.

Let us know if there are any more random claims for your ancestral roots.

I tell you what, have you tried North Korea?

Tell them you came from them. If they say no, tell them to compare the similarity in skin color, height, innovation, inclination to separate from parent country, inclination to blame others for your problems and inclination not to get along with your neighbiors.

I'm sure Jim Jong I'll will support your next declaration for Biafra.
Zoombified Yorubie, the story of Oduduwa coming from the sky is not concluded yet. Go and do justice to that., little fry.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 2:17pm On Jun 29, 2011
^^^^^^lmao!!! u guys are funny.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 2:25pm On Jun 29, 2011
If he came from the sky at least the story is consistent. It doesn't change with the direction of the wind.

Wind blows North. Oh, Oduduwa came from the sky.

Wind blows West. Oh, Oduduwa is from the sea.

Wind blows South. Oh, just found out Oduduwa is from earth.

Wind blows East. Oh, you know, just discovered that Oduduwa is from fire.

I'm telling you guys, you are more North Korean in every way and similarities than you are Jew, Egyptian, American or anything else you are yet to claim.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ngodigha: 2:42pm On Jun 29, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

If he came from the sky at least the story is consistent. It doesn't change with the direction of the wind.

Wind blows North. Oh, Oduduwa came from the sky.

Wind blows West. Oh, Oduduwa is from the sea.

Wind blows South. Oh, just found out Oduduwa is from earth.

Wind blows East. Oh, you know, just discovered that Oduduwa is from fire.

I'm telling you guys, you are more North Korean in every way and similarities than you are Jew, Egyptian, American or anything else you are yet to claim.
the one in bold looks more interesting. Can you go and start a thread on that.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 2:46pm On Jun 29, 2011
I thought Oduduwa came from Saudi Arabia? shocked
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 4:36pm On Jun 29, 2011
@ nzonigga,

thanks for proving my point by displaying a picture of an african-american who according to his wiki page says he is of igbo/akan ancestry. but i guess to you morons he can only be igbo and not akan, even though it was the same igbos who probably sold is father side of his family into slavery

.You tend to insult Ogbuefi1 because he has a superior agreement which your fellow fools here can not match.

and no, dumbass, i insult iguefi whenever he decides to insult me. respect is reciprocal. here, 9ice made a song about it. enjoy.

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h8jCS7DPOA[/flash]
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 5:50pm On Jun 29, 2011
iguefi look @ something interesting i found shocked

HRH Oba Rilwan Akiolu, the Oba of Lagos at a ceremonial meeting with foreign dignitaries in his palace courtyard.

This is why in Yorubaland you will never hear of a king being called just "Oba".There is always a unique title(usually in form of a praise) associated with such kings eventhough they are Obas.

^^^^^

i guess from your own assertion, lagos should no longer be regarded as yorubaland and should be regarded as edoland. abi nor be so? coz after all, even the first "oba" there was from edo.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ngodigha: 6:57pm On Jun 29, 2011
Exothief, all this junk you are posting here is irrelevant to the thread. I think it is normal for Ogbuefi to insult you becauseof the way you reason. So, get a life Anus-licker.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 7:10pm On Jun 29, 2011
lol, how is it irrelevant? im only responding to what your dumbass master iguefi wrote. so tell iguefi to stop writing "irrelevant" shytes, or else, you will continue to get irrelevant responses on this thread. now bite me, you toothless bulldog.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ogbuefi11: 2:31am On Jul 02, 2011
@Exotik,
1)Hahahahaha, Cries and whines of a frustrated and hungry child. Are you saying you have never insulted me in this post ? Go back and read everything that was written by you ! You even call me "Iguefi" Na mumu you be, Grade one for that matter.You are not learned enough to engage me in any arguement.That I have reserved for Physics MHD.Perhaps those senseless insults of yours on me and on my people are nothing as far as you are concerned.The great Mahatma Gandhi said "words break no bones" especially words that come from a nonentity like you.You are no match to me on this new role you are taking, But dont think I will wake up suddenly to disrespcet myself to "argue" with a small boy like you.My arguements are based on facts and are verifiable, not on assumption or hearsay.Because Igbos have survived the near genocidal attempt on her by the Nigerian state , we should as the carriers of the once endangered identity be pleased with ourselves and our achievements no matter how modest any idiot would think it is.

2)It is only in Igboland you will find towns developed without any government patronage.The towns of Onitsha and Aba for instance are not state or federal capitals like Kano, Kaduna, Abuja or Lagos, Yet the industry of the Igbo man is what drives those places.Thise places attract what I will call the good(the industry of the Igbo man), the bad(the high rate of crime) and the ugly(the por infrastructure and federal neglect) of the South east.The civil service towns include Umuahia, Awka and Asaba( only capital since 1991), Owerri(capital since 1976) and Enugu the historic capital of the Southern provinces/entire Eastern region and hence is considered the national capital of the Igbo nation.It is funny to compare Benin a regional capital since 1963 to Asaba, Awka or even Owerri.Ask yourself has Benin really developed to match her status as capital for almost 50 years ? Benin City has over half of her houses built with mud with most given face lift with cement coatings.These are not the feature of Igbo towns.The only thing Benin City can claim over Asaba is size not planning or infrastructure or even quality of houses and this is fact.

3)The traditional title of the Oba of Lagos is the Olueko of Eko and this is what he is traditionally called. Because Lagos as name is foreign , it becomes convenient for all Oluekos to call themselves " Oba of Lagos " and this have never been an issue since all Yoruba kings are Obas despite the array of titles they bear displaying the uniqueness of their throne.The Alaafin for instance from what I was told means the Owner of the Palace(Afin).Before the arrival of the Edo settlers in Lagos there were already Awori(the Yoruba sub group of the Lagos area) in the area.It is the Edos that brought the monarchy to the settlement and this was why Akintoye claimed the throne because he has been supported by the Oba of Lagos.There were even Edo settlers in Ikorodu where they founded the Olisa(king makers) clan of the the town bu they as well met the Ijebus of Ikorodu there.

4)"Igbos" lobby African-Americans very funny, That is not possible, to achieve what ? the African Americans in the past had no clue abt their origins and in the past (as most Jamaicans) assumed that they are of Yoruba or Akan origin but the modern research of genetics has proven that most African Americans and Caribbeans are of Igbo stock, It has nothing to do with lobbying .This has always been the assumption of most researchers who believed that the British colonised territories of the Americans like the United States and the West Indies could have only be bought from the places the British had their strongest contacts during the slave trade era.orubaland only came into prominence in the 19th century when the Birtish had abolished slavery in her colonies and subsistuted it with trade in palm oil while the intra-Yoruba wars was a ready source of slaves to the Portuguese of Brazil (where slavery had not been abolished); this explains the strong Yoruba culture in that country.

5)Ogie " can honour" from your words the primary meaning of Ogie is the king and it was only when the contact with Yorubaland had been established that the Yoruba word for king Oba was borrowed and replaced the native Ogiso title.I believe that Oduduwa himself was of Edo stock and was Ekaladerhan but he refused to return to Benin because of the callousness of the natives of that town since he was almost a victim of human sacrifice( Benin was famous for that). He thus became assimilated as a Yoruba and sent his son instead who also could not settle in Benin and returned to Yorubaland not after he had named the town ILE IBINU.The title of the first Oba EWEKA was derived from Owomika because he could not talk on time.It was when his father had had sent to Benin( to his son) a special game and in the course of the dumb boy playing with it, his hand struck it and he exclaimed Owomika or my hand had struck it in Yoruba.This point was culled from the publication made during the coronation of this present Oba which is in father's library, the publication is covered in pink.
On the Iyoba being flogged, What makes you think it was deleted from the Benin account since it is abominable to say that the king' mother had been assaulted ? it is wrong to compare to an event that occured in the 16th century a period when there was no authentic records or writing with the British colonial experience of yesterday so to speak. But indications on what may have probably happened could well be explained by cultural practises.I have given an example, the Omu or Queen title of the Anioma people and her related Onitsha and Ogbaru people which was said to have been derived from the the first Iyoba herself ! Whether you believe or not is your business, It is our history just as you have yours.

6)The problem of development of Igboland is the Nigerian state, and her ever discriminatory policies.Take for instance in the revenue allocation formula land area was used as a criteria just to cheat the South especially the Igbo states while simultaneoulsy ensuring that Igboland dont receive govt attention via amenities and presence.Can anyone compare federal presence between the Hausa/Yoruba/Igbo areas and be sincere if the really match ? There are no comparisons in this regard at all a shame of the Nigeria state and as a reminder the world has ranked her as 14th in its index of failed states.If the Igbos and her states had been given the enabling environment to prosper like other areas I bet you they will do far better.

Igbos dont worship names and this is why nobody in Igboland would use the name of Zik , Okpara, Ibiam or Osadebay to campaign expecting to win votes unlike Yorubaland where people use Awo's name or the North where they use the name of the Saudana.Igbos being republicans dont worship names because no one is like more important than others and this is where the issue of Igbos "not being united" comes into the picture.We only acknowledge achievers in our midst not worship and we know many more will come in future.The acknowledgement of achievers of Igbo origin grew even more prominent after the war when 99 per cent of Igbos had nothing and without any affirmative action( which is the case elsewhere in the planet) we matched on with even more growth and development.
Those places you saw in the East , ask your parents if they were in those places after the war, they will tell you that the markets of Aba and Onitsha were dominated by Yoruba traders because Igbos were too poor to start businesses.Bt is that the case today ? No. All Igbos who survived the grand plan firstly to kill us as many as they can during the war and secondly improvished the survivors of the war have been put into shame by fate.Asaba once devoid of males now have males all over the place, God is indeed Great.

@Negro the beast,
1) On the issue of peaceful co existence, Your claim that Igbos do not coexist with their neighbours in peace is so funny.Where are the evidences ? Considering that well over half of the population of the Igbo nation dont even reside within Igboland, it has always been on the part of Igbos in the diaspora to live in peace with their hosts wherever they find themselves.How many inter-tribal wars involving Igbos and their neighbours have you ever witnessed except for the genocide organized by the Nigerian state and her western supporters to tame " the arrogant Igbo" If the supposed arrogance of the Igbo is what has become an issue of concern to equate it to non peaceful cocexistence then all I can blame it on would be on inferiority complex, And this is so sad.
So the Igbos troublesome as low lives like you would claim were probably the cause of the troubles all over the place perhaps the cause of the Jos crisis which have claimed over 10,000 lives since 2001.The instances of the victorious Nigerian peoples not finding peace amonst themselves is all over the place.Prior to the Jesse fire incident in 1998 I remembered the village village of Iguelaba was sacked by Jesse invaders over the claim on lands claimed to be rich in oil and gas, perhaps this conflict was caused by Igbo traders residing there.In the past just before and even aftr the war , it was a matter of convenience for the Nigerian state to brand Igbos as a rebelious people who wanted to destroy the profound unity of the nation.But that time has past, Every body has a sad case against the Nigerian state and thank God Igbos have been largely isolated from the bad leadership that has been the bane of the semi failed state , a basket case called Nigeria.They would have probably manufactured another story to start another round of killings just like they did in 1966.
But this have not stopped them to venture into such past time whwen it pleases them but Igbos know how to retaliate with style.In 1991 the Hausa/Fulani were floored right in the city of Kano and my cousins who reside in the city told me how people of Southern sock be Igbo, Edo, Yoruba , Ijaw or whatevr had to claim "Igbo" because of the pride and security it brought with it.Another was the cartoon riots at Maiduguri which was responded with retaliation in Onitsha where other Southern peoples were too cowardly to react.
Go to different African countries where there are subtantial Igbo communities, and see how they are appreciated.But this is not the case in Nigeria because of the divide and rule legacy bequeathed on us by the colonialists.
2)The sovereign in question was the President of Cyprus the highly respected Bishop Makarios who was then in the Eastern region(and not the Western Region) and this was proven during the Oputa panel and the parties who were involved in that crisis were all there at the Panel face to face.On Akintola being attacked by the mutineers, I begin to wonder if you really understand what is meant by a coup.In a coup, the coupists usually go after the sovereign and in the case of the Western region was Akintola and even after the coup most Yorubas saw it as good riddance to bad rubbish because Akintola himself had usurped the rightful man with thousands of people killed.Even the Itsekiris also saw Okotie-Eboh's death as a manifestation of the curse placed on him by Erejuwa 11 after the politician had orchestrated the dethronement of the highly respected monarch and subsequent banishment to Ogbesse.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 5:15am On Jul 02, 2011
iguefi, and yes, i will retain that name for you cos it suits you better. and i didnt say i have never insulted you, i said i avoided it in my last post (after realising the age difference) prior to the one where you decided to insult me. and you are the one doing the whining not me, im just responding to your whines and giving u the attention you are crying for. you say "facts that are verifiable" yet you have not shown any? so keep biiitching and see if it will change anything. everything you have written are based on assumptions not facts.

1) aba is not a state capital, what of umuahia? e never still reach time that it will be developed with or without "govt patronage" that the so-called igbo man is known for? a capital since 91? that's some 20 odd years. and it seems you can't read and understand properly, i never compared benin to asaba or any igbo town/city. i said i didn't see anything that made me go "wow" in igboland even with all the so-called development you've been purporting on this thread and as far as im concerned from asaba to onitsha to aba are all dead, only owerri is manageable and i gave reason why. so get that into your thick skull.

2) i don't know where u stay in benin that you see mud houses, the only mud houses left in benin are old the family houses that have been there for ages, built by a family's patriarch, so the family won't see any reason to tear it down cos it is the "igiogbe" and every edo man cherishes his igiogbe, and for me, my father's house is my igiogbe. and lord willing, that house is going to stand there for centuries to come in its original state. benin is an ancient city and has been a city long before the igboman knew what a city was, so why won't the city still have traces of the old way of life? so what we do is renovate the old house but keep it in its original state. my great-great-grand father house is still there in benin in its original state, my great-grand-father's house is still there also, my grand-father house was not entirely built with mud and still there, my fathers house is not a mud house and still there, and by the grace of Osanobua, my house even though not yet completed is not being built with mud also. so why would our family now tear down houses that retains the benin culture just because it is mud for a so-called modern one that is not so modern just because it is built with cement and blocks? only an igboman like you will be dumb enough to do that and replace it a passage house of "face me, i face you". and btw, are blocks not made up of the same "sand" that mud is made up of? ewe noma ma! and all these your lies are funny, benin is more developed and better planned than asaba. in fact benin should be one of the best planned city in nigeria with the best network of roads. the roads may not be too good as it is with most if not all nigerian cities but the roads are there, and u will never get stuck in traffic for long in benin cos of the good network of roads. and thanks to the new governor who has made all the roads in the city his priority, so the roads will all be in good conditions again.

3) there is only one "oba of lagos" not three, not two, but one. and he is the head of all the other kings who do not bear the title "oba". so if the eleko/or olueko of eko gave up his "traditional" title "eleko" or "olueko" to proclaim and become "oba" it means lagos is no longer a yorubaland abi? coz according to you, no such thing happens in yorubaland and since he is now the oba of lagos, lagos should be regarded as edoland, coz after all, just like the aworis a sub-group of yoruba who migrated there, the binis a sub-group of edo also migrated there and it was the binis who founded the govt and instituted the monarchy that has survived till this day. so lagos is now edoland, abi nor be so?

4) i wasn't expecting you to expand on the african-american issue with a paragraph, but since you did, it was blah blah blah to my ears coz i don't care

5) why don't you answer questions? i asked who was the first yoruba king and what title did he take to represent king? please dig your archives and provide an answer for dat cos like i said, yorubas didn't have an "oba" who was a king, pre-Eweka. owomika was translated by binis not yorubas, and mind you, there was nothing like "yoruba" at time in benin. and if it was yoruba, like someone once asked me on this thread, which part of it is "my hand" "has" "struck it"? again, go dig your archives and come back with an answer. and on the iyoba issue, why is it "wrong compare to an event that occured in the 16th century a period when there was no authentic records or writing with the British colonial experience of yesterday so to speak"? it is all history and we all know how people manipulate history to suit their agenda, whether it happened a thousand years ago or happened a century ago, it is all history. and why would the iyoba now influence the people that flogged her because they despised her so much? how do you emulate a woman and an instition that you purportedly wanted to destroy? it doesnt make sense. what makes sense is that those areas were benin colonies or directly under the influence of benin. and when they finally got some form of independence, they made up stories that would suit their agenda to make the current leaders seem powerful just like how citizens of countries the british colonized often say "fvck the queen" even though they never "fvcked" her or had the ability to "fvck" her. but keep your history and i will keep mine. and like i said, you are also inclined to believe whatever you want, so stop "flogging" it. haha

6) so Hausa/Yoruba/Igbo are the only groups in nigeria? oh please do come with another essay, im enjoying our banter coz it gives me something to read in the early hours of the morning, ozuo.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 6:35am On Jul 02, 2011
"But dont think I will wake up suddenly to disrespcet myself to "argue" with a small boy like you."

^^^

lol, really? dat was funny.

anyway, here was another question you dodged. why did the nigerian soldiers of mostly midwest-igbo stock, now known as anioma-igbo stock who were supposed to defend the midwest from invading biafran soldiers refuse to fight? and that was the reason the midwest invasion met little resistance. but when the people took matters into their hands and resisted the occupation, biafrans were flushed out of the region with little resistance like the losers they are and will remain.  biafra was a lost cause and will forever be a lost cause cos the igboman can never survive on his own, he is going need a lot help, and someone to blame for his failures when he fails. and  that is why he can never stay in his so-called developed cities but will choose to litter every other city in nigeria, so that he can biiitch about unfair treatment from the indigenes. and guess what? true to his nature he lays the blame of the failure biafran cause not on himself but on the ijaws.

and oh, all the military leaders that stole power with a gun to enrich themselves and ruined this nation should have greedy igbos to thank because they laid they foundation for it, coz so-called "igboman" started the retardation of the growth of this country by stealing power.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 7:38am On Jul 02, 2011
"Ogie " can honour" from your words the primary meaning of Ogie is the king"

^^^

no dummy, the root meaning of ogie is "honour" or "praise" not "king" that is why edos have common names like

obasogie: meaning the king is worthy of honour/praise 

oba- king
so- worthy-of/enough
ogie- honour/praise

as you can see, obasogie does not translate to king of king or something like that. and you can practically replace oba with any thing/being that the edoman values

because the edo man is a religious and spiritual being and values god we have name like osasogie:  god is worthy of honour

because the edo man values and adores his mother, we have name like iyesogie: mum is worthy of honour

because the edo man values and cherishes his child, we have name like omosogie: child is worthy of praise

because his homeland/home comes first to the edo man, we have name like owasogie: home is worthy of honour

and other names im sure u can translate are

idusogie
edosogie

and that is why “ogiso” which was the word for king during the ogiso era was not one word but a combination of two words ogie-iso. ogie-honour, iso-sky, because we are told the ogisos considered themselves the kings from the sky. so the word “ogiso” would have been coined by the people to give honour to the king from the sky and it eventually became a word that represents king, and it became accepted.

but ogie does not literally translate to king, it literally translate to honour as you can see from all the common edo names i have given as examples,  and that is why there is nothing like ogiesogie or ogisosogie in edo langauge cos they have already given the ogiso(ogie-iso) the "honour"
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:43pm On Jul 02, 2011
exotik:

secondly, you have made it clear time and time again that igbos were the first to embrace western education and even had the[b] first school that is older than edo college in benin[/b], so why did it now take the igbos so freaking long to write down their historical version of the flogging of the iyoba? and how come most of the igbo history are just surfacing? what have they been doing with all the so-called education they embraced so early? using it to learn how to make and perfect akpu?

@ Exotik, bro, don't concede even an inch to this guy until you check out the veracity of his claims. He is a master propagandist and seems to get a thrill from misleading people by sneaking in propaganda, outright falsehoods, and untenable insinuations in between statements of genuine historical fact. His statements about Binis and educational attainment or about Zik are complete propaganda. Binis, as a minority group in Nigeria are not sluggards academically, whether we are talking about the founding of schools or the heading schools as vice chancellor and they did not have some sort of anti-Zik sentiment. All of that exists in his head.

It is true that non-Bini groups had a British created educational head start and advantage over the Binis in the Midwest and Uyilawa Usuanlele has written an article discussing this called "Colonial State and Education in Benin Division, 1897 - 1959" which you can read over the web if you search for that title. It goes into detail about that era. But Binis have caught up since then.

For the record, his claim about the first secondary schools in the Midwestern region being in Anioma land is completely misleading and a deliberate attempt at misrepresentation. The teacher's training college at Ibusa that he was bragging about was founded by WHITE CATHOLIC MISSIONARIES. Their Catholic connections helped them more than they helped themselves. By contrast, in 1930 Oba Eweka II requested to the colonial government for a school like that of King's College, Lagos, to be built using money accrued to the Native Authority in Benin. However the colonial government delayed implementation of that request for a whole 7 years, and the school was founded in 1937 while Oba Akenzua II was reigning. It is a fact that the first secondary school built in the Midwestern region independent of missionary help was Edo College. What were they doing all that time while Oba Eweka II was thinking of how to get a school like the one his son attended in Lagos built in Benin?

Also, the first primary school in the Midwestern region, was established in 1900, in Benin city, by the way (though not on the initiative of the Binis, so this isn't even important). This claim of primacy because of the founding of schools by white missionaries is just bizarre.

This was like his weak attempt to denigrate Binis with that vice chancellor claim from earlier. Looking at that VC issue again:

a) Emmanuel U. Emovon (chemistry professor) was VC of a university (University of Jos) by 1978. He was also the first Nigerian to obtain a Ph.D.  in chemistry. Was there an Anioma man who was VC of a Nigerian university at or before that time, by the way? Whether there was or wasn't, did the Binis start bragging about how many of the other groups in Nigeria that they had beaten to produce a VC of a federal university? No.

b) The man who was passed over for Dr. Emmanuel Nwanze when Nwanze was appointed -  Dr. Anthony U. Osagie, a founding faculty member of UNIBEN and a former head of his department (Biochemistry department of Uniben) and former past president of the Nigerian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, was more academically accomplished than Dr. Nwanze (actually, much more academically accomplished - in terms of publications, citations, etc., and also had more administrative experience), so it was not as if Dr. Nwanze was chosen first based on the inability of the Binis to produce anybody who met some specific academic criterion or criteria prior to Professor Oshodin. There were three names submitted, and Osagie was very far ahead of the other two on a purely academic basis (not that the other two were not good, he just edges them out very significantly in terms of citations and publications - he has over many more publications (over 70 publications (over 100 total publications including review articles) and over 500 citations), yet this guy Ogbuefi is so biased that he was making all sorts of insinuations over a decision which had nothing to do with merit.

c) Professor Tiamiyu Bello-Osagie (Hakeem Bello-Osagie's father), the most senior academic at Uniben at the time, was passed over as VC in 1976

d) Despite any suggestions to the contrary, after the tenure of Adamu Baikie, there was clearly ethnic zoning with respect to the position of VC:

Grace Alele-Williams    Itsekiri Delta State
Onokerhoraye             Urhobo Delta State
Abhulimen Anao           Esan   Edo State
Nwanze                       Anioma Delta State

It would be extremely dishonest of anyone to say the position was not ethnically zoned within the Bendel area and to assert that only merit was involved.

It makes little sense that they would start with Tijani Yesufu (Etsako, Edo state), follow up with Adamu Baikie (from Kaduna state), but then return to ethnic zoning after initially avoiding it with the choice of  Baikie, but they did just that.  It is not only academic merit that was the deciding factor here, yet he was making all sorts of insinuations.

The Binis had said nothing after most other groups - Esan, Etsako, Urhobo, Itsekiri, and Anioma -  had taken their turn, and the grouse was only minor at first.

But there is NOTHING to suggest that without the agitation of some Binis, following the exit of Nwanze as VC, that the position would have necessarily gone to a Bini, despite the fact that the university had been going down that ethnic zoning path in the previous decades.

When the Binis finally said something, dumb people claimed it was tribalism!

How can a university be practicing ethnic zoning for decades, but then others complain when one ethnic zone asks for what's due to it?!

How can a university be practicing ethnic zoning for a position but then begin to pretend after everyone else besides the Binis has had a VC that they are doing no such thing?!

If they wanted only merit at Uniben they should have stuck with only merit from the beginning. But they didn't. Multiple times they passed over merit for ethnic and sectional interests.  I remember reading two idiotic articles on Nigerian websites by one cretin, a certain Mr. Igini, which attempted to comment on the Uniben VC tussle intelligently but only ended up displaying his ignorance. Ogbuefi's propaganda reminds me very much of those articles, but Ogbuefi's case is even worse because he comes from a group that would rightfully protest exclusion from certain positions when they merit it but he cannot hold to the same principle when the situation involves Binis because of his grudge.

He was actually bragging about a group being designated as having the last turn and then possibly being kept away from the position (if not for the agitation) for no reason, which one would think he would be opposed to, but when Binis are involved, he can't see reason.

Yet another example of this propaganda:

Ogbuefi 1: But going deeper , I learnt from a source that the Benins alledged Igbos were taking over their land simply because Zik said during a visit to the City that it is the "Land of his Ancestors", And invasion of the Midwest excited suspicion that the Igbos were "annexing Benin lands " just as Zik had noted. You see the mis interpretation of points here

Ha ha ha, you mean this Zik?

(Fragile Legacy: Photographs as Documents in Recovering Political and Cultural History at the Royal Court of Benin
Author(s): Flora S. Kaplan
Source: History in Africa, Vol. 18 (1991), pp. 205-237
Published by: African Studies Association
Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/3172063)

[don't mind the misspelling by the author]

I'm really stunned by this claim. Who are "the Benins" from this allegation? One drunk in a beer parlour somewhere? Who is this "source"? Another drunk?

You actually think Binis had some sort of issue with Zik claiming that he had ties to Benin? Binis were proud of that. How far are you willing to go with these claims just to put down the Edo?

I'll respond to some of Ogbuefi's other claims in a little while. I'm pretty amused by some of his responses. This "Iyoba" fable is one of the silliest and is quite ironic. I'll comment on that as well.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by exotik: 1:15pm On Jul 02, 2011
^ lol, ovbioba, i don't even have time to verify all his dumbass claims,  why would i waste valuable time on him especially all his claims about the development igboland, they only look good on paper abi na thread i go call am. but when u go to igboland to actually see for yourself, all u will see are a lot of yan-yan-yan people, a lot of red sand and lots of bushes, haha

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 299
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.