Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,468 members, 7,929,554 topics. Date: Friday, 23 August 2024 at 04:33 PM

Android, Anyone? - Phones (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Android, Anyone? (187045 Views)

Where Can I Get The Oneplus One Android. Anyone? / Icmp Isssh Android Anyone droid vpn + bis? / Android, Anyone? Part II (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (112) (Go Down)

Re: Android, Anyone? by otumfour(m): 10:51pm On May 05, 2011
Enuf Nokia-wp7 talk .

THIS IS ANDROID!!! angry
Re: Android, Anyone? by texazzpete(m): 2:15pm On May 06, 2011
otumfour:

Enuf Nokia-wp7 talk .

THIS IS ANDROID!!! angry

STFU. This discussion IS related to Android.
Re: Android, Anyone? by DoubleN(m): 2:40pm On May 06, 2011
Another great app.

Re: Android, Anyone? by ziccoit: 4:05pm On May 06, 2011
texazzpete:

Why do you people keep asking this same question when the answer is so obvious?

In Nokia's heydays, they had the hardware, solid cameras and a decent OS. Their flagship phones were easy winners when compared to the phones churned out by their rivals (chunky Winmo phones from LG and Samsung, crappy featurephones from the others, Slow and buggy Sony Ericcson phones)
In the post-iphone world, everyone has seemingly embraced excellent hardware design. Samsung now make their own top notch camera sensors that can rival anything Nokia brings out. LG and HTC phones are solidly built.

Moving to Android would have left Nokia just one of many. Imagine Nokia releasing an Android powered N9 in July. They'd have to compete with Samsung's Galaxy series, LG's Optimus 2X and Black dual core phones, HTC Sensation (and like 5 other high end HTC phones). And that's just in Europe!
In North America, they'd struggle to make any headway against the well entrenched players like Motorola, LG, Samsung etc.

Going with Win Phone 7 gives them a chance to stand out and impress. WP7 as it stands is already much sleeker and cooler looking than Android and iOS, all it needs is some more polish and some improvements to the OS. And I can see Nokia excelling with this.

Nokia will always be Nokia no matter the situation. But it really has to do more than job to beat the current trend. To me, Android is today the best platform, down ranking that is going to require a lot of liver.
Re: Android, Anyone? by ezeuba(m): 7:30pm On May 06, 2011
I am a one of a kind android phone user, I use the Droid Incredible (CDMA, on Visafone precisely), and believe me guys this phone is really incredible. Since I got this phone in January my laptop has been green with envy; I hardly use it now except for movies. I nearly fell for the Droid Eris, another CDMA android but somehow I just tightened my lips and went for the Incredible. It's Android 2.2, but I've been experimenting with some Gingerbread ROMs lately and it is simply awesome. This is the first time I've seen a phone as responsive as this, and the phone still fully under my control. The only thing is the battery life, but somehow I got around to managing the situation well now and the battery rarely dies on me, I have a car charger, and I always carry my usb charging unit with me. Each time I wonder what people see in Iphone and maybe its because android is for geeks, sometimes its not for the faint-hearted. Like rooting with unrEVOked, upgrading clockworkmod, backing up ROMs and installing new ROMs. But its quite straightforward once you get the hang of it. I've only experienced one heart-stopping moment with my Droid Incredible. I once tried to unroot and I used a 2.1 RUU file and got stuck with a blank screen. Reason was that my Droid Inc is 2.2 and it does not have screen drivers for 2.1, but after some research online I got the 2.2 Stock RUU and got my Droid Inc working again. For some moments on that day I thought I was looking at a $400 brick.

I have so many ROMs and quite a bit of knowledge about android phones now. If anyone is in need I am here to help.
Cheers,
Re: Android, Anyone? by otumfour(m): 10:13pm On May 06, 2011
texazzpete:

STFU. This discussion IS related to Android.

dude! Wtf! Calm ur furkin' nerves mahn, u loosing ur cool u furk grin btw, ain' u supposed to be on ur iphone thread undecided u stfu grin let the Android users share their ideas and stop picking up on dudes on here "Mr texazz knowall" muthafurka grin
Re: Android, Anyone? by Timi1990(m): 11:04am On May 07, 2011
hello nairalander, pls i'll like 2 get a Htc phone, bt my problem is where to get it in lagos. My budget is around 30-40k, pls any either on the type of htc model i can get with my budget ?
Re: Android, Anyone? by texazzpete(m): 1:23pm On May 07, 2011
otumfour:

dude! Wtf! Calm your furkin' nerves mahn, u loosing your cool u furk grin btw, ain' u supposed to be on your iphone thread undecided u stfu grin let the Android users share their ideas and stop picking up on dudes on here "Mr texazz knowall" muthafurka grin

The thread topic is 'Android, anyone' and not 'Android owners club'.
Hope that helps you put things in perspective.
It would also help if you were actually sharing ideas here in this topic instead of spamming with youtube vids and bragging about your near-obsolete Galaxy S.

I ain't mad at ya though grin
Re: Android, Anyone? by naijatoday: 5:24pm On May 07, 2011
@ belushi7

Which Samsung Galaxy S did u buy from the U.S? Samsung I9000T Galaxy S or Samsung I9000 Galaxy S

I might have to buy the Samsung Galaxy S since Samsung has not release the Samsung Galaxy S2 here in the U.S (they have not even announced a date).

Unless somebody knows were I can get the S2 in naija.
Re: Android, Anyone? by ADEBOSUN(m): 8:38pm On May 07, 2011
@all. I'd also like to get an android phone. And my budget is also 30-40k. What are my options?
Re: Android, Anyone? by ezeuba(m): 8:46pm On May 07, 2011
You can get the LG P500 at Slot for 37k, It's a nice android phone, and can upgrade to Gingerbread
Re: Android, Anyone? by ADEBOSUN(m): 9:03pm On May 07, 2011
Was hoping to be able to get something from htc.
Re: Android, Anyone? by DoubleN(m): 10:31pm On May 07, 2011
ezeuba:

I am a one of a kind android phone user, I use the Droid Incredible (CDMA, on Visafone precisely), and believe me guys this phone is really incredible. Since I got this phone in January my laptop has been green with envy; I hardly use it now except for movies. I nearly fell for the Droid Eris, another CDMA android but somehow I just tightened my lips and went for the Incredible. It's Android 2.2, but I've been experimenting with some Gingerbread ROMs lately and it is simply awesome. This is the first time I've seen a phone as responsive as this, and the phone still fully under my control. The only thing is the battery life, but somehow I got around to managing the situation well now and the battery rarely dies on me, I have a car charger, and I always carry my usb charging unit with me. Each time I wonder what people see in Iphone and maybe its because android is for geeks, sometimes its not for the faint-hearted. Like rooting with unrEVOked, upgrading clockworkmod, backing up ROMs and installing new ROMs. But its quite straightforward once you get the hang of it. I've only experienced one heart-stopping moment with my Droid Incredible. I once tried to unroot and I used a 2.1 RUU file and got stuck with a blank screen. Reason was that my Droid Inc is 2.2 and it does not have screen drivers for 2.1, but after some research online I got the 2.2 Stock RUU and got my Droid Inc working again. For some moments on that day I thought I was looking at a $400 brick.

I have so many ROMs and quite a bit of knowledge about android phones now. If anyone is in need I am here to help.
Cheers,
Good to hear you didn't brick your phone, it would have been a real disaster. embarassed. I would really like to know how you got your Incredible to work on Visaphone cos i have a CDMA/GSM Phone on my hands and would like to get the CDMA hooked up to a network. Any Pointers for me?
Re: Android, Anyone? by shenny(m): 10:53pm On May 07, 2011
Any idea where to get Original HTC accessories (HTC Desire) in Lagos, thanks
Re: Android, Anyone? by belushi7: 11:17pm On May 07, 2011
@ naijatoday, I got the Samsung vibrant (sgh-T959) model of the sgs from the us. its about the most most popular of the US variants. the I9000 model is the international version/uk version and personally I will rather you get that because it receives updates earlier than all the other sgs variants and most supported by developers . it also comes with front facing camera, fm radio, Samsung apps market and a few other goodies that mind doesn't have.
if you can have some patience just wait for the release of the sgs2, I'm sure you'll be glad u did as long as you are ready to cough out like $800. the vibrant is about half that price now and its still kicking, that is if you are on a budget.
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day(m): 5:15am On May 08, 2011
@ ADEBOSUN and others
HTC WILDFIRE is ur best bet for dat budget, its d mini of HTC DESIRE, it has everything u can found in desire but d speed and d screen resolution, its a nice gadget to have and amply supported wit custom roms.
My wife has one and she has abandoned her laptop!
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day(m): 5:24am On May 08, 2011
sorry for d found above, its "find"
the tiny keypad and auto correction of dis windows mobile is killing me
Re: Android, Anyone? by ezeuba(m): 9:35am On May 08, 2011
Double N:

Good to hear you didn't brick your phone, it would have been a real disaster. embarassed. I would really like to know how you got your Incredible to work on Visaphone cos i have a CDMA/GSM Phone on my hands and would like to get the CDMA hooked up to a network. Any Pointers for me?
I used to be able to configure CDMA phones to Visafone network, but for some reason the company decided to stop accepting phones from other networks to be configure to Visafone; I guess maybe because of the SIM/RUIM registration thingy. However, I was able to get mine done because I work there and the guys at the NOC just did it for me once they saw it was a staff line. Anyway, you can try Multilinks if they can configure the phone to their network. If that works you can rest assured you will soon be on Visafone network, because Visafone has acquired Multilinks.
Cheers.
Re: Android, Anyone? by texazzpete(m): 12:37pm On May 08, 2011
na2day!:

@ ADEBOSUN and others
HTC WILDFIRE is your best bet for dat budget, its d mini of HTC DESIRE, it has everything u can found in desire but d speed and d screen resolution, its a nice gadget to have and amply supported wit custom roms.
My wife has one and she has abandoned her laptop!

good recommendation. if he doesn't mind a used phone, he can probably snag a clean nexus one/desire for 40k. much better than the wildfire.
Re: Android, Anyone? by otumfour(m): 1:17am On May 09, 2011
texazzpete:

It would also help if you were actually sharing ideas here in this topic instead of spamming with youtube vids and bragging about your near-obsolete Galaxy S.

dude! I helped a couple of Galaxy S owners upgrade their handsets from eclair to froyo, flip back the pages and u'll see.

Back to ANDROID, folks! enjoy cool and keep growing this thread grin
Re: Android, Anyone? by otumfour(m): 1:45am On May 09, 2011
Comscore report finds widening Android lead in US smartphone market, largely at RIM's expense

The percentage shift in the chart above tells most of the story here. According to Comscore's latest report, Android's share of the US smartphone market grew an impressive six percent in the three-month period ending in March to land at 34.7 percent, and RIM took the biggest hit as a result, slipping 4.5 points to a share of 27.1 percent. That's still enough to keep it ahead of Apple, however, which held its own with a slight gain to 25.5 percent. Both Microsoft and Palm / HP slipped just under a percent each to land in a distant fourth and fifth place, respectively. As for mobile OEMs, things stayed almost identical during the three month period, with Samsung, LG, and Motorola occupying the top three spots, and only Apple seeing any significant gains thanks to the Verizon iPhone launch -- although that still wasn't enough to push it above RIM for the fourth spot. Hit up the source link below for all the numbers.

Re: Android, Anyone? by otumfour(m): 1:49am On May 09, 2011
The future looking bright for Androidgrin grin grin
Re: Android, Anyone? by Nobody: 3:57pm On May 09, 2011
Apparently,gingerbread is out for desire HD.

tried OTA, got 'up to date'

anyone updated theirs?
Re: Android, Anyone? by texazzpete(m): 6:01pm On May 09, 2011
otumfour:

The future looking bright for Androidgrin grin grin

quit being a fanboy. The best OS is the one with the best features and UI, not the one with the larger marketshare.
The future has been bright for Android since late 2009 , further cemented when the Nexus One/Desire came out. Android is here to stay and that's a darn good thing.
Re: Android, Anyone? by texazzpete(m): 11:46pm On May 10, 2011
So nobody here's excited about the Google reveals at the I/O keynote?

And you call yourselves Android fans. *smh*
Re: Android, Anyone? by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:44pm On May 11, 2011
wetin be ur own sef?

at least ur fav stick to batter android is gonna be taken away now (fragmentation) lolz
Re: Android, Anyone? by Nobody: 8:44pm On May 11, 2011
Great and informative thread.

I got a samsung gt 1000 recently and i need someone to help me with a few issues i have.
i cant install the kindle for android app due to region issues. is it possible to get around it to get apps from the android market that nigerian users have been locked out from?
Re: Android, Anyone? by shenny(m): 12:29pm On May 12, 2011
cool 1 month old HTC Desire bought NEW for Sale, sms only 08023341701
Re: Android, Anyone? by ziccoit: 9:19pm On May 12, 2011
News
Android Market gets a facelift, lets you buy apps in 99 new countries
12 May, 2011 | Comments (90) | Post your comment

Tags: Android, Touch UI, Google

The Android Market has gone through a major update after Google I/O conference. Google has done some refreshing design changes to the interface of the Market for both mobile and desktop and made discovering of new apps easier. On top of that paid apps are now available to 99 new countries, which is a win-win for everyone.

Let's start with the improvements made to the online version of the Android Market.

The Android Market is continuing to grow larger and larger and here are some statistics to prove it. There are now over 200,000 apps available on over 300 devices. Android users have installed north of 4,5 billion apps. Those are impressive numbers, but they also mean that the Android Market has to be more user-friendly and apps have to be easier to find than before.

Hence the new features in the online version of the market. One of them is the revamped Top app charts section. It shows you the apps that are doing the best. They are country-specific, as well, which should make them more relevant to you. Google has also added top new free, top new paid, and top grossing lists to the Android Market home page. Google has also created an "Editor's Choice" which consists of applications chosen by the Android Market staff.

Developers doing well on the Market have their appearance on the Top Developers section in homepage, too. Successful developers will get a special badge next to their name.

If you are an Android user, you should be familiar with the online version of the Market and appreciate how easy it is to install new apps, without having to go through the app on your phone and do it from there.

The related apps section in the Android Market has been made better too. There are now "apps frequently browsed by people who viewed this app" and "apps that people tend to install alongside this app".

And finally the trending apps section, which lists the apps with the most daily installs.

Also the amount of countries, supporting paid apps has been increased by 99 new ones. This means that those countries will have the full access to the Android Market experience (and most of all, paid apps), without the need to employ hacks and mods. Here's the full list.

Re: Android, Anyone? by belushi7: 9:23pm On May 12, 2011
Guys guess what? best news for us android lovers, google has added 26 african countries (including nigeria) to the list where priced applications will be available to android users. This means we can now purchased those priced apps and games on the android market. A friend from a blog today successfully purchased an app from the android market with his nigerian bank issued visa dual currency debit card. I will be getting mine immediately and try this out. Nokia started this support to Nigeria's market, then RIM (BB) and now our dear android. I am so happy. check out the list of countries here http://www.google.com/support/androidmarket/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=143779&topic=1100168

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (112)

How To Stop Automatic Touches On Screens Of Your Android Phones And Tablet / How To Borrow Airtime From Glo Using “borrow Me Credit” / The Galaxy A Series!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.