Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,909 members, 7,872,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 05:00 AM

Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank (18502 Views)

Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. / The Differences Between The IMF And The World Bank / TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Nigeria’s Economy Outlook Growing, Says World Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by AjanleKoko: 10:18pm On Jan 21, 2011
Corruption is not the bane of Nigeria’s development but the lack of determination to move forward, Mr Onno Ruhl, the World Bank’s Country Director in Nigeria, has said.
“Don’t think it (corruption) is Nigeria ’s problem. I think corruption is important but I really don’t think it is the only thing or may be not the decisive thing,” he said.
Ruhl was responding to a question at the Forum of the News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, Thursday, in Abuja , on whether Nigeria was being hindered by corruption compared with developing countries such as Brazil, China, Korea and Malaysia .
“The question is: Are we going to keep talking about who gets which job? Or are we going to say how we are going to move this country forward?
“If we do the latter, the country is going to move forward because the potential of Nigeria is more in terms of resources, both human and natural,” he said.
Ruhl noted that Korea, rose to its present level by sheer determination even though nobody took them seriously after the war, adding: “They don’t blame partners; they just say we want to develop and there they go.”
According to him, some states are already showing signs that they can develop with determination.
“Some states in Nigeria show clear signs of being able to do that on their own. That is a clear proof that Nigeria does not need to be worse than Brazil or India ,” he said.
On role of the bank in Nigeria’s road map on water, Ruhl said the bank was currently assisting Kaduna, Enugu, Osun, Lagos and Cross River states as well as the Federal Capital Territory in managing their water supply.
He lauded Cross River which, he said, had successfully partnered the private sector to provide water for its people at affordable rates through communal taps.
However, he pointed out that people still found it difficult to pay for water, preferring to buy sachet water which, he said, was more expensive.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/01/corruption-not-nigeria%E2%80%99s-bane-says-world-bank/
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by asha80(m): 10:22pm On Jan 21, 2011
hmmm eku bear will like this

He lauded Cross River which, he said, had successfully partnered the private sector to provide water for its people at affordable rates through communal taps.
However, he pointed out that people still found it difficult to pay for water, preferring to buy sachet water which, he said, was more expensive

how is that possible?
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 10:25pm On Jan 21, 2011
^^^^
Don't ever trust these people. They are part of the problem. Tomorrow, he'd say corruption. H. Clinton said 'corruption', IMF called it something too.

I have enough facts to say our problem is corruption. And, to an extent, our culture.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Beaf: 10:25pm On Jan 21, 2011
Sad to say, it is 100% true. If corruption was a hinder to development, Italy with their mafia, would be wretchedly poor.

Our problem is with our structure. We are a damn lazy country that is pretending to be a federal govt, while practising a unitary system, because we don't want to work. we just want others to drill our oil, ship it, refine it, sell it back to us; while we take monthly trips to Abuja to share oil money.

We lack true federalism and we lack the strong institutions and competition it would bring.
Several cities of the World (including the likes of Buernos Aires in Argentina) produce more money than the whole of Nigeria.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by asha80(m): 10:26pm On Jan 21, 2011
ola olabiy:

^^^^
Don't ever trust these people. They are part of the problem. Tomorrow, he'd say corruption. H. Clinton said 'corruption', IMF called it something too.

I have enough facts to say our problem is corruption. And, to an extent, our culture.

pls can you elaborate on this.?
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 10:27pm On Jan 21, 2011
Guys, be prepared, I am ready for another 8-hour session on this. I am not kidding yah. smiley
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by asha80(m): 10:29pm On Jan 21, 2011
Beaf:

Sad to say, it is 100% true. If corruption was a hinder to development, Italy with their mafia, would be wretchedly poor.

Our problem is with our structure. We are a damn lazy country that is pretending to be a federal govt, while practising a unitary system, because we don't want to work. we just want others to drill our oil, ship it, refine it, sell it back to us; while we take monthly trips to Abuja to share oil money.

We lack true federalism and we lack the strong institutions and competition it would bring.
Several cities of the World (including the likes of Buernos Aires in Argentina) produce more money than the whole of Nigeria.

but the italian mafia does not run the government in italy(i think) though i know about the COMMORA MAFIA in naples but then they are not really in governmnent are they?
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 10:30pm On Jan 21, 2011
asha 80:

pls can you elaborate on this.?

Our culture supports nepotism, favouritism and 'foul' play. Even, our proverbs, adage and sayings.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 10:31pm On Jan 21, 2011
Beaf:

Sad to say, it is 100% true. If corruption was a hinder to development, [b]Italy with their mafia, would be wretchedly poor.[/b]Our problem is with our structure. We are a damn lazy country that is pretending to be a federal govt, while practising a unitary system, because we don't want to work. we just want others to drill our oil, ship it, refine it, sell it back to us; while we take monthly trips to Abuja to share oil money.

We are not talking about violent crime, bro.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by jason123: 10:32pm On Jan 21, 2011
ola olabiy:

Our culture supports nepotism, favouritism and 'foul' play. Even, our proverbs, adage and sayings.

I think that has to do with the western and northern culture. The eastern culture does not support it since everyone has a say.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Dede1(m): 10:33pm On Jan 21, 2011
Nigeria number one problem is tribalism and sectional differences both mentally and spiritually. Disintegration of Nigeria will usher new approach to politics and create healthy competition as well as mutual respect among new countries.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by asha80(m): 10:36pm On Jan 21, 2011
Beaf:

undecided undecided undecided
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by kcjazz(m): 10:39pm On Jan 21, 2011
For me corruption is a result of a problem. The problem is we lack value for human life. It is what drives people to steal blind or act without any thought. No perfect society in the world but the earlier we focus on placing more value on a single life in this country, things will change.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by jason123: 10:42pm On Jan 21, 2011
Dede1:

Nigeria number one problem is tribalism and sectional differences both mentally and spiritually. Disintegration of Nigeria will usher new approach to politics and create healthy competition as well as mutual respect among new countries.

What do you mean by "disintegration"?
Beaf was right about true federalism since we are a people with different ideologies but have a common goal (that is, greatness and the envy of Africa). We all have our strong points and weakness but the idea that we do not need each other after living together for almost 100 years is just a lie filled with pride. We can do with eachother's help. Once federalism is in place, about 60% of our problems would be shaved off. The north, East, west, South-south and middle belt should all control their resources, politics and security but come together, help eachother to move forward and develop. This why corruption and crime would be tackled efficiently while the country is still intact.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 10:42pm On Jan 21, 2011
And, who's this Ruhl to tell us what the problem is. He lives in America, I think. He sees corruption in Naija from the 'business' side of it.

And, I can sense some ulterior motive here. Yeye people.

This WB has been 'partnering' this and that since I was a kid. Yet, no water anywhere.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by asha80(m): 10:44pm On Jan 21, 2011
jason123:

What do you mean by "disintegration"?
Beaf was right about true federalism since we are a people with different ideologies but have a common goal (that is, greatness and the envy of Africa). We all have our strong points and weakness but the idea that we do not need each other after living together for almost 100 years is just a lie filled with pride. We can do with eachother's help. Once federalism is in place, about 60% of our problems would be shaved off. The north, East, west, South-south and middle belt should all control their resources, politics and security but come together, help eachother to move forward and develop. This why corruption and crime would be tackled efficiently while the country is still intact.

i thought you were against it?
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by ekubear1: 10:45pm On Jan 21, 2011
I used a pie analogy before in the thread last week.

Basically, a small pie even if perfectly shared will leave everyone hungry. While sharing the pie properly is important, of arguably larger importance is growing that pie.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Beaf: 10:48pm On Jan 21, 2011
asha 80:

but the italian mafia does not run the government in italy(i think) though i know about the COMMORA MAFIA in naples but then they are not really in governmnent are they?

The mafia controls practically every aspect of life in Italy and almost every top politician has mafia connections (though less so than in the 90's).

The Sicilian Mafia has had influence in 'legitimate' power, particularly under the corrupt Christian Democratic governments from the 50's-early 90's. It has had influence with lawyers, financiers, and professionals; also it has had power and resources by bribing or pressuring politicians, judges and administrators. It has less of these now than previously on the heels of the Maxi-Trials, the campaign by magistrates Giovanni Falcone and Paolo Borsellino and other actions against corrupt politicians and judges; however it retains some influence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organized_crime_in_Italy
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 10:50pm On Jan 21, 2011
eku_bear:

Basically, a small pie even if perfectly shared will leave everyone hungry. While sharing the pie properly is important, of arguably larger importance is growing that pie.

The pie can't grow because the growth is being stunted by corruption.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 10:52pm On Jan 21, 2011
Beaf:

The mafia controls practically every aspect of life in Italy and almost every top politician has mafia connections (though less so than in the 90's).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organized_crime_in_Italy

You are talking about the ruling class. Ordinary melon seller in Nigeria is corrupt. And his mentality is corruption-inclined.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 10:55pm On Jan 21, 2011
It seems you don't understand what we are talking about here. They are corrupt in China but not to the extent of playing games with their education, for example. If you have wht it takes in China you get admitted into uni/college.

In Nigeria, your name will be substituted.

Don't you all get it?
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by jason123: 10:55pm On Jan 21, 2011
asha 80:

i thought you were against it?
I was but the advantages of federalism is much more that its disadvantages. I have given it much though and I have realised that we all have different fundamental ideologies. The east prefers a totally weak center, the west prefers a semi-weak center while the north prefers a strong center. This are fundamental ideologies that cannot be taken from the people of these groups except through neo-colonisation which we do not want. Moreover, we have different ways of tackling corruption. What might be corruption to the Easterners might be the norm for a westerner or northerner eg nepotism is not viewed as corruption in the north or west until recently. Anyway, the point is we need to take care of our internal problems without outside interference such an igbo man persecuting a hausa man (this might be viewed as an ethnic persecution). I hope you get my drift?
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by violent(m): 10:57pm On Jan 21, 2011
The problem in Nigeria is corruption, say no more!. . .and of course clueless leaders. . .  . like the one with a diploma in hygiene who aspired to make and implement policies in an economy that grosses over 374 billion dollars!
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by KaluAkanu: 10:57pm On Jan 21, 2011
Over-reliance on one natural resource is our problem. Focusing on oil doesn't improve jobs. The oil & natural gas sector only employs a small amount of workers.

We should be focusing on agricultural products, commercial products and also building up our service sector. Too bad, Nigerian officials are too dumb to realize this.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by violent(m): 11:01pm On Jan 21, 2011
eku_bear:

You are wrong sir!

we did grow our pie, that's why our GDP went from 170 billion in 2005 to over 370 billion in 2010.  The point is, some individuals just want the entire pie to themselves.

It's better we have a small pie with few selfish individuals, even if everyone is hungry, we at least have something to chew on!
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 11:01pm On Jan 21, 2011
Kalu Akanu:

Over-reliance on one natural resource is our problem. Focusing on oil doesn't improve jobs. The oil & natural gas sector only employs a small amount of workers.

We should be focusing on agricultural products, commercial products and also building up our service sector. Too bad, Nigerian officials are too dumb to realize this.

Don't you know that in order to do these you have to be public-oriented. You can't be public-oriented if you're corrupt.

We are not just talking about looting our treasure. Corruption means much more than that!
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by asha80(m): 11:02pm On Jan 21, 2011
jason123:

I was but the advantages of federalism is much more that its disadvantages. I have given it much though and I have realised that we all have different fundamental ideologies. The east prefers a totally weak center, the west prefers a semi-weak center while the north prefers a strong center. This are fundamental ideologies that cannot be taken from the people of these groups except through neo-colonisation which we do not want. Moreover, we have different ways of tackling corruption. What might be corruption to the Easterners might be the norm for a westerner or northerner eg nepotism is not viewed as corruption in the north or west until recently. Anyway, the point is we need to take care of our internal problems without outside interference such an igbo man persecuting a hausa man (this might be viewed as an ethnic persecution). I hope you get my drift?

thankgod you finally saw the light.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 11:04pm On Jan 21, 2011
ola olabiy:

And, who's this Ruhl to tell us what the problem is. He lives in America, I think. He sees corruption in Naija from the 'business' side of it.

And, I can sense some ulterior motive here. Yeye people.

This WB has been 'partnering' this and that since I was a kid. Yet, no water anywhere.

Most Nigerians do not even know the genesis of endemic and systemic corruption in Nigeria; I doubt Ruhl knows what he is talking about. Also, going by the antecedents of the IMF and world bank, I am more inclined to doubt their intentions. Why would the world bank be worried about corruption in Nigeria when Royal Dutch Shell is the biggest corporation in Europe yet it has no natural resources of its own? ExxonMobil is one of the largest traded companies in the world, usually no 1 or 2. Corruption is all around these western companies but they manage to make billions yearly out of Nigeria.

I ask again, why would corruption be a problem for western interests?
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by violent(m): 11:04pm On Jan 21, 2011
Kalu Akanu:

actually they are not dumb!. . they all just want to get richer and bother less about the poor class, . .that's where the courrption factor comes in.

Tafa Balogun was busy swimming in billions while junior police officers languished and begged for money by the road side. . .and someone says corruption isn't the problem?. .
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by KaluAkanu: 11:06pm On Jan 21, 2011
ola olabiy:

Don't you know that in order to do these you have to be public-oriented. You can't be public-oriented if you're corrupt.

We are not just talking about looting our treasure. Corruption means much more than that!

Corruption is everywhere. All nations have some form of corruption, so this is not the problem.

Nigeria's problem is that it is a Rentier State suffering from a resource curse. That is the problem.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by asha80(m): 11:09pm On Jan 21, 2011
let me ask this question though.since corruption is nigeria's bane by comments here how do we hope to curb it to the barest minimum since according to ola olabiy it is ingrained in our culture?

how do we create a situation where corruption becomes less attractive in the country ?
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 11:10pm On Jan 21, 2011
violent:

actually they are not dumb!. . they all just want to get richer and bother less about the poor class,  . .that's where the courrption factor comes in.

Tafa Balogun was busy swimming in billions while junior police officers languished and begged for money by the road side. . .and someone says corruption isn't the problem?. .

ola olabiy:

Correct

Did Robinson crusoe own the island he was shipwrecked on as he was the only inhabitant; he had no one to enforce any rights on.

The point I am trying to make is that the Nigerian mentality is to be rich while others are poor. How else can you have your way? How else can you take someone else's wife? How else can you beat your mechanic and lock him up? How else can a 65 year old pot-bellied baboon sleep with his grand-daughter's friends? Corruption is a way of life and it ensures that those that are rich are able to dominate those that aren't.

Corruption is the problem

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Job Losses, Factory Closures Loom As Unsold Goods Pile Up — MAN / 285 Dangote Drivers Wanted Over Stolen Tyres / CBN Bars BVN Violators From Opening Bank Accounts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.