Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,293 members, 7,881,086 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 12:05 PM

Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank (18536 Views)

Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. / The Differences Between The IMF And The World Bank / TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Nigeria’s Economy Outlook Growing, Says World Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by KaluAkanu: 11:11pm On Jan 21, 2011
violent:

actually they are not dumb!. . they all just want to get richer and bother less about the poor class,  . .that's where the courrption factor comes in.

Tafa Balogun was busy swimming in billions while junior police officers languished and begged for money by the road side. . .and someone says corruption isn't the problem?. .

Well what allows these politicians to be so corrupt? It all traces back to oil.

Oil = corruption

Rentier state at its finest.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by marvix(m): 11:14pm On Jan 21, 2011
Corruption is not our problem but the brazen show of corruption is.

Every nation has corrupt people but the corrupt ones dont lord it over the non corrupt people.

Laws dont work here so that if you are caught you can be adequately dealt with.

Let us take a break from the govt corruption, lets take a look at the banks, when Sanusi sacked Cecilia Ibru, her son who was an ED was also sacked but the boy resurfaced as MD of Aero Contractors, it is a classical case of corruption, did we forget Abachas son who told us that no matter how much the govt took back from its family they could not be as wretched as Dangote shocked shocked shocked

The policemen collect tolls as though they could give receipt, blind men have drivers licence in Nigeria everyone is involved.

Ajumogobia said and I still stand beside his call, the laws should change to fight corruption, if you are accused of corruption the onus of proof should be on you to justify that you are not corrupt.

This would bring a new era, i would also suggest that we amend our laws so that anyone who gives a bribe is not guilty of an offence but whoever receives the bribe is the guilty person.

The implication is that if you are been offered a bribe it could be a setup and when you ask for a bribe the individual can pay and report of his being a victim.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 11:15pm On Jan 21, 2011
asha 80:

let me ask this question though.since corruption is nigeria's bane by comments here how do we hope to curb it to the barest minimum since according to ola olabiy it is ingrained in our culture?

how do we create a situation where corruption becomes less attractive in the country ?

You develop systems and institutions that will discourage corruption.You do that by empowering and incentivising the officials who run it. Corruption is easy to stamp out but it must come from the top, otherwise it is futile. Think about how Elliot Ness was empowered by J Edgar Hoover; also how Gulliani dismantled the New York Cosa Nostra in the 90's. You always start at the top, the rest will fall in line.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by ekubear1: 11:16pm On Jan 21, 2011
violent:

You are wrong sir!

we did grow our pie, that's why our GDP went from 170 billion in 2005 to over 370 billion in 2010.  The point is, some individuals just want the entire pie to themselves.

It's better we have a small pie with few selfish individuals, even if everyone is hungry, we at least have something to chew on!

Err, those #s sound wrong to me. 17% GDP growth per year is not what Nigeria has experienced over the past 5 years. More like 8-9% tops, iirc.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 11:17pm On Jan 21, 2011
Katsumoto:

Most Nigerians do not even know the genesis of endemic and systemic corruption in Nigeria; I doubt Ruhl knows what he is talking about. Also, going by the antecedents of the IMF and world bank, I am more inclined to doubt their intentions. Why would the world bank be worried about corruption in Nigeria when Royal Dutch Shell is the biggest corporation in Europe yet it has no natural resources of its own? ExxonMobil is one of the largest traded companies in the world, usually no 1 or 2. Corruption is all around these western companies but they manage to make billions yearly out of Nigeria.

I ask again, why would corruption be a problem for western interests?

Their intention is suspect.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 11:19pm On Jan 21, 2011
marvix:

Corruption is not our problem but the brazen show of corruption is.

Every nation has corrupt people but the corrupt ones dont lord it over the non corrupt people.

Laws dont work here so that if you are caught you can be adequately dealt with.

Let us take a break from the govt corruption, lets take a look at the banks, when Sanusi sacked Cecilia Ibru, her son who was an ED was also sacked but the boy resurfaced as MD of Aero Contractors, it is a classical case of corruption, did we forget Abachas son who told us that no matter how much the govt took back from its family they could not be as wretched as Dangote shocked shocked shocked

The policemen collect tolls as though they could give receipt, blind men have drivers licence in Nigeria everyone is involved.

Ajumogobia said and I still stand beside his call, the laws should change to fight corruption, if you are accused of corruption the onus of proof should be on you to justify that you are not corrupt.

This would bring a new era, i would also suggest that we amend our laws so that anyone who gives a bribe is not guilty of an offence but whoever receives the bribe is the guilty person.

The implication is that if you are been offered a bribe it could be a setup and when you ask for a bribe the individual can pay and report of his being a victim.

If you change the laws, don't you still have to enforce them? Wont people simply pay bribes to corrupt policmen who arrest them? Don't people get literally get away with murder in Nigeria?
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 11:20pm On Jan 21, 2011
Kalu Akanu:

Corruption is everywhere. All nations have some form of corruption, so this is not the problem.

Nigeria's problem is that it is a Rentier State suffering from a resource curse. That is the problem.
Everywhere but by a few. No country can be healthy if saddled with the kind of endemic corruption we have in Nigeria.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by violent(m): 11:20pm On Jan 21, 2011
asha 80:

let me ask this question though.since corruption is nigeria's bane by comments here how do we hope to curb it to the barest minimum since according to ola olabiy it is ingrained in our culture?

how do we create a situation where corruption becomes less attractive in the country ?

Verily Verily i say onto thee, it is easier for a 10 camels to go through the eye of a needle at once than to curb corruption in Nigeria.

If you ask the average Nigerian kid what he wants to be in the future, you'd be alarmed with the number of people who'd reply with the generic "i want to be a rich man". . . .they simply don't want to care how!. . . the same mentality is common even up till the tertiary level, no one cares about improving the world, everyone just want to be rich.

The only reason corruption thrives is because of the widening gap between the rich and the poor class of the society, we need to save the middle class!
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by redsun(m): 11:23pm On Jan 21, 2011
Banks run on cprruption and sworn secrets,secrets that holds d commoners down.World bank na wayo.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 11:24pm On Jan 21, 2011
Katsumoto:

Correct

Did Robinson crusoe own the island he was shipwrecked on as he was the only inhabitant; he had no one to enforce any rights on.

The point I am trying to make is that the Nigerian mentality is to be rich while others are poor. How else can you have your way? How else can you take someone else's wife? How else can you beat your mechanic and lock him up? How else can a 65 year old pot-bellied baboon sleep with his grand-daughter's friends? Corruption is a way of life and it ensures that those that are rich are able to dominate those that aren't.

Corruption is the problem

Thank you jare. Wanton oppression whenever we have the opportunity. Brazen and flagrant disregard for rule of law.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by ekubear1: 11:26pm On Jan 21, 2011
Sorta nuts to me that ya'll are so paranoid about the World Bank. You can read their reports themselves, figure out whether you gree or no gree.

But abstract, vague paranoia? Makes no sense.

They've spent a lot of resources researching the Nigerian economy and understanding the investment climate here. At least take their work as a starting point rather than discarding it.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by kcjazz(m): 11:26pm On Jan 21, 2011
Katsumoto:

If you change the laws, don't you still have to enforce them? Wont people simply pay bribes to corrupt policmen who arrest them? Don't people get literally get away with murder in Nigeria?

That is why he says people have to take responsibility. Just heard today a DDC machine in Abuja was broken. Why? Fracas! Because a pastor bribed a policeman to jump queue. Now who is to blame is it the "Bribee" or the bribed. We need enforceable laws and that is through an independent judiciary. It is not everyone that is corrupt but like in this case the pastor should be in jail by now.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by asha80(m): 11:29pm On Jan 21, 2011
katsumoto e be like say old rich men wey dey sleep young girls dey pain you well well.you too dey mention am in different posts grin
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 11:29pm On Jan 21, 2011
Kalu Akanu:

Corruption is everywhere. All nations have some form of corruption, so this is not the problem.

Nigeria's problem is that it is a Rentier State suffering from a resource curse. That is the problem.

This corruption is everywhere argument is tiring.
1. How many nations have spent the same levels of funds on their power sector with nothing to show for it?
2. How many nations have defunct National air carrier
3. How many nations have senators earning $1.2 milliona annually in salary
4. How many nations have an Ajaokuta steel complex
5. How many nations have 4 non-functioning refineries
6. How many nations have crude oil but still import petrol and diesel
7. How many nations have all its parastatals dead?

I could go on and on but I am sure some get the point. How many nations have all these items and more?

There is a difference between taking 5% cut for recommending a particular contract and stealing the entire $500 million meant to tar a road or provide healthcare, etc.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by ekubear1: 11:31pm On Jan 21, 2011
Err. This is the second time I've seen you use old rich men sleeping with young girls as an example, @Katsumoto.

You really think that is an example of corruption
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 11:32pm On Jan 21, 2011
kcjazz:

That is why he says people have to take responsibility. Just heard today a DDC machine in Abuja was broken. Why? Fracas! Because a pastor bribed a policeman to jump queue. Now who is to blame is it the "Bribee" or the bribed. We need enforceable laws and that is through an independent judiciary. It is not everyone that is corrupt but like in this case the pastor should be in jail by now.
The rich will not obey the rules/law
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by asha80(m): 11:32pm On Jan 21, 2011
Katsumoto:

You develop systems and institutions that will discourage corruption.You do that by empowering and incentivising the officials who run it. Corruption is easy to stamp out but it must come from the top, otherwise it is futile. Think about how Elliot Ness was empowered by J Edgar Hoover; also how Gulliani dismantled the New York Cosa Nostra in the 90's. You always start at the top, the rest will fall in line.

i can understand institutions but you have to explain to me about systems with nigeria and not USA in mind.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by violent(m): 11:33pm On Jan 21, 2011
eku_bear:

Err, those #s sound wrong to me. 17% GDP growth per year is not what Nigeria has experienced over the past 5 years. More like 8-9% tops, iirc.

I'm using the GDP in terms of Purchasing Power Parity and not the GDP real rate. I know the PPP is an imperfect factor for measuring the GDP but it is sufficient in the context of my earlier argument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Nigeria
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 11:34pm On Jan 21, 2011
asha 80:

katsumoto e be like say old rich men wey dey sleep young girls dey pain you well well.you too dey mention am in different posts  grin

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 11:36pm On Jan 21, 2011
eku_bear:

Err. This is the second time I've seen you use old rich men sleeping with young girls as an example, @Katsumoto.

You really think that is an example of corruption

It is. Do that in the UK and you surely have your public image and political carrier thrown to the dogs.

You don't just demend for sex before you render services.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 11:37pm On Jan 21, 2011
^^It is also a good example of oppression. I need to have sex with your daughter before are allowed to fetch water in my compound.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by ekubear1: 11:38pm On Jan 21, 2011
ola olabiy:

It is. Do that in the UK and you surely have your public image and political carrier thrown to the dogs.

You don't just demend for sex before you render services.

Wtf. Plenty of rich old dudes all over the world sleep with young women. That is the way of life for old rich dudes across the world. That is part of the point of being rich anywhere.

Has absolutely nothing to do with corruption in Nigeria.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by redsun(m): 11:39pm On Jan 21, 2011
How many civil nation does d police mount road for d main aim of collecting bribe from road users?
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by ekubear1: 11:39pm On Jan 21, 2011
violent:

I'm using the GDP in terms of Purchasing Power Parity and not the GDP real rate.  I know the PPP is an imperfect factor for measuring the GDP but it is sufficient in the context of my earlier argument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Nigeria

Hrm, never seen people looking at PPP growth rate and using that as a basis for comparison, people usually use GDP growth rate, from what I've seen. But I'm not an expert, so you might be right.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 11:40pm On Jan 21, 2011
eku_bear:

Wtf. Plenty of rich old dudes all over the world sleep with young women. That is the way of life for old rich dudes across the world. That is part of the point of being rich anywhere.

And, do they do this too before being admitted to study at uni/college or in order to pass exams?
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 11:40pm On Jan 21, 2011
asha 80:

i can understand institutions but you have to explain to me about systems with nigeria and not USA in mind.

If you develop a system of jailing or killing corrupt public officials and seizing all their assets including those abroad, then you will get at the root of the problem. Do you know what you will do in the fight against corruption if you not only jail IBB, OBJ, Anenih, etc but also seize their entire assets? You are sending a clear message that you may loot but your end will be wretched. The worst fear of a rich man is to become poor. If Nigeria signs agreements with most foreign nations, then it can also seize assets abroad and ensure that they are returned to the country should they run.

A sincere Nigerian president can do all these.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by redsun(m): 11:41pm On Jan 21, 2011
How can a country function without a police force?
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Kobojunkie: 11:41pm On Jan 21, 2011
Corruption is not the bane of Nigeria’s development but the lack of determination to move forward, Mr Onno  Ruhl, the World Bank’s Country Director in Nigeria, has said.
“Don’t think it (corruption) is Nigeria ’s problem. I think corruption is important but I really don’t think it is the only thing or may be not the decisive thing,” he said.

To an extent, I agree with the above!
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 11:42pm On Jan 21, 2011
eku_bear:

Hrm, never seen people looking at PPP growth rate and using that as a basis for comparison, people usually use GDP growth rate, from what I've seen. But I'm not an expert, so you might be right.

PPP MEASURES LIVING STANDARD BETTER.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by jumobi1(m): 11:43pm On Jan 21, 2011
Are we going to keep talking about who gets which job?

^^^That right there is corruption. Giving jobs to people not based on merit is corruption. Doing favors with important positions is corruption.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by ekubear1: 11:44pm On Jan 21, 2011
redsun:

How many civil nation does d police mount road for d main aim of collecting bribe from road users?

There are entire muncipalites across the US whose primary source of income is speeding tickets. Like, you'll have this amazing long and straight highway, very little traffic on it. They'll set the speed limit on it to 65 or 55.

Obviously, nobody wants to drive for 55 or 65 on a highway that can comfortably and safely take 80 mph.

So these towns just flag down people they catch driving above the speed limit (which is going to be a lot) and write them huge tickets.

I remember one time I was driving from Colorado to Houston, I paid a $550 ticket for speeding.

Now, technically I broke the law by doing what I did. But at the same time, we all know what is going on. . . that check I mailed for $550 is how they feed their town. So they have a huge incentive to make the speed limit in their municipality really low.

Now, how does this differ from a Nigerian policeman stopping people for bribe?  undecided

Who knows, maybe I'm out of line, but to me they seem the same sort of thing.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 11:44pm On Jan 21, 2011
eku_bear:

Seriously, at what point in your life did you live in Nigeria?

What allure is there for a 21 year to sleep with an old baboon if not to share his ill-gotten wealth?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Rejection Of Old N500, N1,000 Spreads As Nigerians Ask For Official Statement / Innocent Chukwuma Innoson Sues EFCC N200bn For ‘Defamation, Falsehood’ / Filling Station Sealed Over Non-compliance Of New Petrol Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.