Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,307 members, 7,881,130 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 01:06 PM

Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank - Business (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank (18540 Views)

Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. / The Differences Between The IMF And The World Bank / TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Nigeria’s Economy Outlook Growing, Says World Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by AjanleKoko: 3:07pm On Jan 27, 2011
archive:

The economy is not collapsing lol. The problem that we see is that the people are poor and the basics of a civilised country are not there. [b]The politicians could still steal a lot of money as well as greatly develop the country at the same time. [/b]Of course I am not for a minute advocating this, but my point is that the people who have the power in this country are unpatriotic, greedy to silly levels, poor in mentality and a lack of foresight and pride. This goes far deeper than corruption

That's contradictory. How can people be patriotic and greedy all at the same time? Not logical.
I'd like to know where in the world you would have a bunch of corrupt politicians running things, and the country is developed state-of-the-art. If people can dip their hands into the public purse with abandon, isn't that the same funds meant to develop the country?

There's a different between people taking care of business on the side, collecting bribes or favours from contractors, and the kind of out-and-out public robbery we have in Nigeria. I was just reading today about this pension scam, where some ministry directors were sharing N1 billion every month. Every month, for crying out loud. And that's supposed to be money meant for the pension fund.

Reliable sources tell me that LGs in Lagos had to surrender N300 million to ACN to fund the election efforts. Just imagine what else would be left to do anything in the Local govts after that. Abeg Mr Ruhl is talking out of his bum bum jare.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by archive(f): 4:13pm On Jan 27, 2011
AjanleKoko:

That's contradictory. How can people be patriotic and greedy all at the same time? Not logical.
I'd like to know where in the world you would have a bunch of corrupt politicians running things, and the country is developed state-of-the-art. If people can dip their hands into the public purse with abandon, isn't that the same funds meant to develop the country?

There's a different between people taking care of business on the side, collecting bribes or favours from contractors, and the kind of out-and-out public robbery we have in Nigeria. I was just reading today about this pension scam, where some ministry directors were sharing N1 billion every month. Every month, for crying out loud. And that's supposed to be money meant for the pension fund.

Reliable sources tell me that LGs in Lagos had to surrender N300 million to ACN to fund the election efforts. Just imagine what else would be left to do anything in the Local govts after that. Abeg Mr Ruhl is talking out of his bum bum jare.

Right - even 5% of the money that our politicians steal would still be considered a lot of money to most, reasonable people. the other 95% could at least be put to the good of the country. the ideal is to not be corrupt at all - but this is people we are talking about, and Nigeria!! let's walk before we can run

Next i'm sure you have heard about the MP's expenses scandal in the UK. many of them were corrupt too, but they were not corrupt to the level of bringing a halt to the development of the country. why are you seeing this an an absolute?

I KNOW that politicians and officials in NIGERIA steal FAR TOO MUCH money. this is my point. they are so stupid that they steal more money than they could ever possibly spend while making their country and people look like buffoons.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Pennywise(m): 6:29pm On Jan 27, 2011
archive:

The economy is not collapsing lol. The problem that we see is that the people are poor and the basics of a civilised country are not there. The politicians could still steal a  lot of money as well as greatly develop the country at the same time. Of course I am not for a minute advocating this, but my point is that the people who have the power in this country are unpatriotic, greedy to silly levels, poor in mentality and a lack of foresight and pride. This goes far deeper than corruption

You have inflation of a kind we have not seen b4. Wholesale thievery by public servants is putting untold pressure on the naira through capital flight (let me sound a bit like an economist). Darlin what do you think will happen to the economy of this country a few yrs down the road if this goes unchecked? Zimbabwe will be better off.

archive:

Right - [b]even 5% [/b]of the money that our politicians steal would still be considered a lot of money to most, reasonable people. the other 95% could at least be put to the good of the country. the ideal is to not be corrupt at all - but this is people we are talking about, and Nigeria!! let's walk before we can run

Next i'm sure you have heard about the MP's expenses scandal in the UK. many of them were corrupt too, but they were not corrupt to the level of bringing a halt to the development of the country. why are you seeing this an an absolute?

I KNOW that politicians and officials in NIGERIA steal FAR TOO MUCH money. this is my point. they are so silly that they steal more money than they could ever possibly spend while making their country and people look like buffoons.

You need to look at the figures. We are not talking 5% here. What we have in Nigeria now is wholesale debauchery. Only 25% of the budget goes into capital expenses and by the time you factor in corruption maybe less than 8% total. How is that for an eye opener. The rest goes into paying salaries of civil servants and public officials with their 'security vote'
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by archive(f): 6:42pm On Jan 27, 2011
Pennywise:

You have inflation of a kind we have not seen b4. Wholesale thievery by public servants is putting untold pressure on the naira through capital flight (let me sound a bit like an economist). Darlin what do you think will happen to the economy of this country a few yrs down the road if this goes unchecked? Zimbabwe will be better off.

well of course the poverty in this country will be unthinkable. nigeria is set to become one of the 5 most populous countries in the next few decades and resources will be spread even more thinly among the people than they are now. something needs to give
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by jamesugo: 10:59am On Jan 28, 2011
I t is corruption that marred the determination to move forward in Nigeria Economy.This is because when the leaders got there, they concentrate on their selfish interest to get richer thereby losing the determination to move the country forward for development.
So i disagree with World Bank.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by DeeJay20: 1:02pm On Jan 28, 2011
Nigerians a so gullible!

They see World Bank in a Post Headline and come
running inside full steam to post crap.

These "Thief thief" institutions set up shop in a country like
Nigeria and promote Nigerians to senior post
at the head office in New YOrk and Geneva etc and send
them to Nigeria to chat sh*** w[b]hile they steal your money
through crazy loans and out-rageous interest rates[/b] and
becuase Nigerians still are "Patsy" with a Capital "P", they
chat trash and display their ignorance of want is going on.

Meanwhile in Europe, The Irish, Greeks, Latvians, Icelanders
and spanish, Portuguese are yelling at the top of their voices SAYING
"Fooo~k"THE IMF/WORLD BANK & EUROPEAN CENTRAL BANK!!!!"

But the Nigerians and africans are running to the world bank/IMF looking
for some relevance and significance in this perverted economic world they
sell to them!!!
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by DeeJay20: 1:09pm On Jan 28, 2011
jamesugo:

I t is corruption that marred the determination to move forward in Nigeria Economy.This is because when the leaders got there, they concentrate on their selfish interest to get richer thereby losing the determination to move the country forward for development.
So i disagree with World Bank.

Dude, you need to really do research before you say you agree with
an institution that does not give a rats as*** about you.

Do you know you can get Beaten senseless in many parts of Europe (Greece/Ireland in particular) for saying that sh***!?
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Kilode1: 6:00am On Feb 29, 2012
1 year after we debated this thread, we still can't prosecute wicked looters like Ibori without British help.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Innocent Chukwuma Innoson Sues EFCC N200bn For ‘Defamation, Falsehood’ / Filling Station Sealed Over Non-compliance Of New Petrol Price / 24 Hours After New Policy, CBN Injects $371m Into Forex Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.