Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,298 members, 7,881,097 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 12:22 PM

Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank - Business (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank (18537 Views)

Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. / The Differences Between The IMF And The World Bank / TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Nigeria’s Economy Outlook Growing, Says World Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by tennyalad(m): 8:20am On Jan 23, 2011
I know most people will disagree with Mr. Ruhl, but i can assure you to some extent that the man is right, corruption is a issue I agree but not what is hindering our development. Nigeria needs a leader with vision. Is China not corrupt, Indonesia president packed more money than any other politicians but indonesia is doing much better than Nigeria, why is because they invested the looted money in businesses in the country not save it in swiss.
We just need to adopt some strict measure concerning this stupid free market we are practicing at the moment and you will see how fast Nigeria will industrialise but thats still a long way to go for Nigeria, because our priorities are misplaced
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by EKONGKING: 9:32am On Jan 23, 2011
Kalu Akanu:

You cannot actually compare Nigeria with India. Even though India is ethnically diverse as Nigeria, many of India's ethnic groups have a shared history. And not only that, they have a shared religion through Hinduism. Even though some Indians are Muslims and Buddhist. This shared history and religion has allowed the Indian people to have a pluralistic democracy, that still has a corruption, but their democracy is very free.

Nigeria is very different. We do not have a shared history. Our shared history is only through colonialism and the 50 years after colonialism. In addition, we do not have a shared religion either, which is also the bane of our problems as well. Tribalism is rampant in Nigeria, and people only care about their own ethnic groups. I would go even farther to say that a lot of people only care about themselves. This is the sad truth.

Our founding fathers failed to establish a nationalistic Nigerian identity. Herbert Macaulay tried, God rest his soul, followed by, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, but other leaders failed to listen to them. The failures of this generation has set Nigeria up to fail.

You are spot on we have no shared culture,religion,history .We exist as one country because some british lords decided it and same goes for many african countries.
Regarding India you are right, Eventhough there are ethnically diverse they have a shared culture,religion from atleast 3000 years.All religions in india hindus ,muslim,christian practice caste system
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by passyjango(m): 10:42am On Jan 23, 2011
Princek12:

mental laziness is Nigeria's problem.

God bless you my brother, you are hitting the point. Our problem is our inability to use our brains. I have asked a question which no one seems to have answered. How do you fight corruption in a country where people are largely ignorant? It is due to ignorance that party delegates collect money to anoint a candidate. It is due to ignorance that voters collect incentive to vote for the wrong candidates. If they had spared some thought for the consequences of their action maybe they will not have collected bribes. Nigeria does not have enough prisons to lockup every Nigerian who engages in corrupt activities. Most of them even see nothing wrong with it. It is now a way of life. So enlightenment should be the first weapon in the fight against corruption not empty threats.

As for those proposing another 'White Elephant Project' of learning in local languages, you better kill that idea before it gets serious. We speak 250 languages, if all of us are studying in local languages how will we all communicate. After studying in a particular region will a student easily fit into another region's education system? And please, which of these 250 languages will be the official language? We need to know that English gives us competitive advantage; we should exploit them rather than set ourselves back another 100 years just for pride and grandstanding. The problem with our education is our teaching method not the language used.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Beaf: 11:22am On Jan 23, 2011
passyjango:

God bless you my brother, you are hitting the point. Our problem is our inability to use our brains. I have asked a question which no one seems to have answered. How do you fight corruption in a country where people are largely ignorant? It is due to ignorance that party delegates collect money to anoint a candidate. It is due to ignorance that voters collect incentive to vote for the wrong candidates. If they had spared some thought for the consequences of their action maybe they will not have collected bribes. Nigeria does not have enough prisons to lockup every Nigerian who engages in corrupt activities. Most of them even see nothing wrong with it. It is now a way of life. So enlightenment should be the first weapon in the fight against corruption not empty threats.

As for those proposing another 'White Elephant Project' of learning in local languages, you better kill that idea before it gets serious. We speak 250 languages, if all of us are studying in local languages how will we all communicate. After studying in a particular region will a student easily fit into another region's education system? And please, which of these 250 languages will be the official language? We need to know that English gives us competitive advantage; we should exploit them rather than set ourselves back another 100 years just for pride and grandstanding. The problem with our education is our teaching method not the language used.

You are really stretching the definition of ignorance, we need to stick closely to the dictionary meaning. After reading your arguments, I feel you really mean a mixture of illiteracy, mental laziness and carelessness, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Truth be told, ignorance has no part to play in the reasons for our lack of development, it is too vague a term.

As for learning in our traditional languages, I'm with you on that one. Despite the fact that it would tremendously improve depth of understanding, we have 250 different ethnic groups to cope with. The only way we can follow that path would be to adopt pidgin English as our official language, standardise it, and damn English forever. Pidgin English is the closest we can get to speaking our various mother tongues and being understood in every part of the country; the bonus, is that it is in most cases, a direct reordering of English into our local language pattern. I would very much prefer to learn physics in pidgin English.
In time, it will evolve into a completely new language. We'll have to rename it though, maybe call it Nigerian English or just plain Nigerian.
Wouldn't that be cool? Imagine asking someone, "how do you say this in Nigerian?"
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by 1025: 12:18pm On Jan 23, 2011
@yeswecan

in all ur long notes of refferences, i was waiting to see u mention United Arab Emirates who once borrowed money from nigeria. is the west more present in africa than they are in saudi arabia, kuwait, qatar, and UAE to mention but a few. the first step to changing things here will be readiness to accept responsibilities.
obasanjo had 8 uninterupted years to make things right but maybe the west denied him, abi?
prof mourice iwu who made a mess of our electorial system could be a westerner?
our darkness does not stop on our skins but went further to our hearts and brains otherwise tell me why mugabe will force white farmers out of zimbabwe only for the lands to lie waste while hunger visit his citizens door to door. why is it that south africa who allowed whites to remain are the most developed in africa?
until nigerians especially our rullers stand up to accept their failures and change their attitudes to politics and corruption, nothing will happen here for good.
i don't know ur age in the early 80s when ghanians left their country in search of food. today, the reward of the sacrfices of Jerry rawlins is what they are enjoying and if things continue this ways, nigerians will soon be filling up and sleeping at ghana embassies to obtain visa to ghana and then, we will be happy to hear you explain with long notes on how the west changed ur understanding of life.
unfortunately, we celebrate everything including failure. did u watch the reception party held on behalf of alamesiaye on his return to pdp? it is a shame that thousands of people, men and women cld sow uniforms to court to show their solidarities for bode george who is filling appeal from his jail room.
have u been to our registeration centers to see the kind of laptops in use and then u will begin to ask where our N87b has gone to.
maleysia's imported their palm oil from nigeria and today, it is their major source of income but i know the west did not allow our own to be useful, abi?
we are doomed and corruption is the chief occupant of our aso rock hence we cannot grow like others.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by 1025: 12:39pm On Jan 23, 2011

@passyjango,
nigerians are not ignorant of the situations here. u and i know too well that goodluck jonathan and his late boss did not win elections in 2007. u and i also know that obasanjo's regime was so corrupt that u cannot mention any politician in that era that did not steal. i also know that pdp has no programme for nigeria as they have proved since 1999 when they took over the governance of this country.
if almost every nigerian can mention atleast 50 corrupt politicians in nigeria, what then do u call ignorance?
the delegates collected money to annoint a candidate bcs they are corrupt or under hostage to do so. remember no nigerian governor of 1999 era till date is poor and as such, others are killing, dying, struggling and doing anything possible to be one. obasanjo looked at the political situation in nigeria in 2007 and told us that the election was going to be a DO OR DIE AFFAIR so what is ignorant abt that? deliberately making payments to ghost workers has nothing to do with ignorance. using guns and matchets to hijack voting boxes has nothing to do with ignorance. distributing funds to senators just to get an illegal third term agenda is not ignorance rather criminal. stealling inec machines from the airport is not ignorance.
going to court to fight our rights is only possible if u can pay a lawyer and afford the necessary and unnecessary inconviences. can u stand the 20 yrs of p[rolonged court cases? can u as an individual afford the charges of a SAN to face a seating gov who will be represented by 20 SANS?
look for another topic bcs ignorance is totally out of it.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by reka(m): 1:01pm On Jan 23, 2011
Corruption is not the bane of Nigeria’s development but the lack of determination to move forward, Mr Onno Ruhl, the World Bank’s Country Director in Nigeria, has said.
“Don’t think it (corruption) is Nigeria ’s problem. I think corruption is important but I really don’t think it is the only thing or may be not the decisive thing,” he said.
Ruhl was responding to a question at the Forum of the News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, Thursday, in Abuja , on whether Nigeria was being hindered by corruption compared with developing countries such as Brazil, China, Korea and Malaysia .
“The question is: Are we going to keep talking about who gets which job? Or are we going to say how we are going to move this country forward?
“If we do the latter, the country is going to move forward because the potential of Nigeria is more in terms of resources, both human and natural,” he said.
Ruhl noted that Korea, rose to its present level by sheer determination even though nobody took them seriously after the war, adding: “They don’t blame partners; they just say we want to develop and there they go.”
According to him, some states are already showing signs that they can develop with determination.
“Some states in Nigeria show clear signs of being able to do that on their own. That is a clear proof that Nigeria does not need to be worse than Brazil or India ,” he said.
On role of the bank in Nigeria’s road map on water, Ruhl said the bank was currently assisting Kaduna, Enugu, Osun, Lagos and Cross River states as well as the Federal Capital Territory in managing their water supply.
He lauded Cross River which, he said, had successfully partnered the private sector to provide water for its people at affordable rates through communal taps.
However, he pointed out that people still found it difficult to pay for water, preferring to buy sachet water which, he said, was more expensive.

Dayummmmmm, thats all have got to say about this,
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by SapeleGuy: 1:50pm On Jan 23, 2011
With respect, having some sort of hybrid creole language in 2011 or turning to internal colonialism  is a serious waste of effort, because it will not work.

True federalism and cultural diversity in an environment of mutual respect is what we must strive for. If a region says that the pace of change is too fast for them, abeg make una leave them.

The average Nigerian is hardworking and resourceful. If there is no light we use generator, if there is no water we dig borehole. If there is no taxi, we use okada, If there is no kerosene we use firewood. So what does government do for the common man?

'Lack of determination' is a diplomatic way of saying that the government is lazy.

How can any right thinking individual argue against this man? Is the Nigerian government not irresponsible, indolent and lazy?
How else can you account for the fact they have refused to diversify the economy away from oil. Even Iran has diversified their economy. Why are we not doing the same?

Let me put things in perspective. Onno Ruhl comes from a country that practices federalism. Onno Ruhl comes from a country where bribery was legitimised and was a tax deductible expense (can you be more corrupt than this?). With this in mind, can those of you arguing against the man tell us how bribery and corruption has stopped Germany from moving forward?
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 1:56pm On Jan 23, 2011
SapeleGuy:

With respect, having some sort of hybrid creole language in 2011 or turning to internal colonialism  is a serious waste of effort, because it will not work.

True federalism and cultural diversity in an environment of mutual respect is what we must strive for. If a region says that the pace of change is too fast for them, abeg make una leave them.

The average Nigerian is hardworking and resourceful. If there is no light we use generator, if there is no water we dig borehole. If there is no taxi, we use okada, If there is no kerosene we use firewood. So what does government do for the common man?

'Lack of determination' is a diplomatic way of saying that the government is lazy.

How can any right thinking individual argue against this man? Is the Nigerian government not irresponsible, indolent and lazy?
How else can you account for the fact they have refused to diversify the economy away from oil. Even Iran has diversified their economy. Why are we not doing the same?

Let me put things in perspective. Onno Ruhl comes from a country that practices federalism. Onno Ruhl comes from a country where bribery was legitimised and was a tax deductible expence (can you be more corrupt than this?). With this in mind, can those of you arguing against the man tell us how bribery and corruption has stopped Germany from moving forward?

You mean it is possible to award a $1billion contract in Germany and not do anything but send the money to your account instead?

You mean it is possible to spend $16 billion on power in Germany with little to show for it. There is corruption everywhere, we are against the magnitude of corruption in Nigeria.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by SapeleGuy: 2:15pm On Jan 23, 2011
Katsumoto:

You mean it is possible to award a $1billion contract in Germany and not do anything but send the money to your account instead?

You mean it is possible to spend $16 billion on power in Germany with little to show for it. There is corruption everywhere, we are against the magnitude of corruption in Nigeria.

You are inadvertently proving my point. Corruption was accepted in Germany, it didn't stop them from developing.

The difference between Nigerians and Germans is that they (Germans) have a strong sense of national pride and determination to do the best for their country.

This patriotism and national duty means that the examples you have set out are rendered impotent, the Germans will always act in Germanys best interest regardless of corruption. Can we say that Nigerian politicians have always acted in Nigerias best interests? Bakassi springs to mind.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by ShangoThor(m): 3:50pm On Jan 23, 2011
SapeleGuy:

[size=18pt]@ Sapele Guy, you're also right on the money here![/size]

How do you modernize a country, when leaders in a region within the country have not challenged prevailing attitutes and trends.
Where education in a pro-modernity context is seen as western and corruptible, where the foundations of their comfort zone is based
on an 'agrarian society'; where more zeal and passion is displayed for implementing Sharia law as opposed to educating their masses;
or alleviating/eradicating poverty from their midst;

Then the political discourse contribution they are willing to make is to converse about 'zoning' (because they believe they've got a
God given right to rule the country, when in fact the privilege was setup and granted by the British colonialists)
or 'sharing' the proceeds of 'oil sale receipts',in other words a system that has its focus on 'distribution' as opposed 'production',
which is how wealth and surplus' are generated.

Enough is enough, what you get in this country should depend on what you are willing to contribute ,  stop expecting freebies.
If the FG agrees that part of its remit should be to act as a massive Welfare State, the recipients should directly be the citizens
of the country and not fat pot bellied politicians controlling individual states, a factor greatly influenced by the Northern
Caucas.

Nobody is entitled to anything free of charge. You get out of it what you contribute. Say no to freebies.

So when Onno Ruhl claimed that some States in the FR are displaying signs of being able to grow and fend for themselves, ask yourselves
where are those states, is it a coincidence that those states are in the Southern Nigeria? Is there any oil in Lagos?

Let true Federalism prevail, let SS keep their oil, and develop their lands, all peoples of Southern Nigeria are capable to producing
something, capable of contributing towards a surplus, generating wealth ,  tribalism is for primitive minds ,  lets create our Utopia

Do you know how efficient the economy of Southern Nigeria was prior to amalgamation? Check the archives ,

Fix the State, and you will fix the problem.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by yeswecan(m): 4:42pm On Jan 23, 2011
1025:

@yeswecan
in all your long notes of refferences, i was waiting to see u mention United Arab Emirates who once borrowed money from nigeria. is the west more present in africa than they are in saudi arabia, kuwait, qatar, and UAE to mention but a few. the first step to changing things here will be readiness to accept responsibilities.
obasanjo had 8 uninterupted years to make things right but maybe the west denied him, abi?
prof mourice iwu who made a mess of our electorial system could be a westerner?
our darkness does not stop on our skins but went further to our hearts and brains otherwise tell me why mugabe will force white farmers out of zimbabwe only for the lands to lie waste while hunger visit his citizens door to door. why is it that south africa who allowed whites to remain are the most developed in africa?
until nigerians especially our rullers stand up to accept their failures and change their attitudes to politics and corruption, nothing will happen here for good.
i don't know your age in the early 80s when ghanians left their country in search of food. today, the reward of the sacrfices of Jerry rawlins is what they are enjoying and if things continue this ways, nigerians will soon be filling up and sleeping at ghana embassies to obtain visa to ghana and then, we will be happy to hear you explain with long notes on how the west changed your understanding of life.
unfortunately, we celebrate everything including failure. did u watch the reception party held on behalf of alamesiaye on his return to pdp? it is a shame that thousands of people, men and women cld sow uniforms to court to show their solidarities for bode george who is filling appeal from his jail room.
have u been to our registeration centers to see the kind of laptops in use and then u will begin to ask where our N87b has gone to.
maleysia's imported their palm oil from nigeria and today, it is their major source of income but i know the west did not allow our own to be useful, abi?
we are doomed and corruption is the chief occupant of our aso rock hence we cannot grow like others.

In my piece i blamed western led Africa policies and advocated an independent pattern of development/policy making based on common sense and guided by practical experience and observation rather than western theory - that my message . I am glad you gave example of saudi arabia, kuwait, qatar, and UAE  - these are Arabic speaking countries that followed a cultural and independent pattern of development not the so called modernization theory.  I can see you picked cases like OBJ and Maurice Iwu's failure - those are tactical issues, the problem with our country is structural, quit searching for little tactical error if the foundation is bad there must be tactical issues. It is like building a house on a shaky foundation . . This is how Good luck Jonathan appointed an INEC chairman and Nigerians were happy - they missed it because we have to revisit the issue every 4 yrs . .  we need a structural solution where it is done forever.

Your whole rant  post is focused on little things that can be fixed by just a structural shift - you do not understand the problem my friend- In Ghana as you may know Jerry rawlings killed the OBJS and IBBs of before he transited to democracy. Ghana is not still a perfect example all there is in Ghana is steady power supply and free election - stop referring to Ghana like its a success story.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by cheikh: 9:52pm On Jan 23, 2011
eku bear
Wtf. Plenty of rich old dudes all over the world sleep with young women. That is the way of life for old rich dudes across the world. That is part of the point of being rich anywhere.

Has absolutely nothing to do with corruption in Nigeria.

@eku bear

Perhaps you do not understand the socio-dynamics /intrinsic nature of corruption on the 'micro' level in Nigeria as it affects the ordinary Nigerian, as to realise that sex with young women [/b]in the Nigerian context is not the same as 'the way of life for old rich dudes across the world' nor 'part of the point of being rich anywhere'.  In Nigeria the 'dude' does not have to be rich but must be [b]perceived as being in a position of authority/power like any uniformed man/woman- Customs, Police, Immigration,soldier etc. It's about Power relations. Crude intimidation/abuse of office. Choice on the part of the 'victim' is almost absent.

(b) I agree with Mr Onno Ruhl on the 'macro' level that corruption is not the problem but the Nigerian 'lack of 'will/vision' and absence of the desire to Act purposefully for measurable desirable development goals like the Koreans and the Malaysians have demonstrated.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by cheikh: 10:17pm On Jan 23, 2011
@Onlytruth
I only said the truth and you know I am saying the truth.
Every top country of the world tap into the best of their citizens.
The US has Jews and they have been one of the driving forces of American ingenuity.
The Jews are not suppressed. They are appreciated and nurtured.
Nigeria has Igbo, but they are discriminated against and marginalised.
All Nigerian groups can copy the Igbo spirit, but how do you copy what you vilify?
You have to accept it first.

@Onlytruth

We're having very interesting conversation so far, until you injected your'ignorance' and infamy. Pls go away if you have nothing to say besides 'tribal' this and that. Thanks.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by cheikh: 11:36pm On Jan 23, 2011
@eku bear
It depends. Some external forces are manipulative. But the fastest way to build up your country from scratch is to access international capital.

I look at what they've done in Dubai and I'm very envious

@eku bear

You may be correct with the bolded but so you sincerely believe that the 'backwardness'/underdevelopment of Nigeria is simply because of lack of or low FDI? Do you not think that the so called international capital will rather do business with the 'devil' or so called 'communist' than with Nigeria? The question is- Why? despite the so called Nigerian 'potential'? It has to do with the Nigerian 'enabling' or 'disabling' environment. You don't just throw good money after bad money. The laws/ infrastructure/ etc does not work adequately enough hence more capital goes to South Africa, Russia, Kazakhstan, Vietnam, China, Colombia, Brazil, Chile and the Middle East. Nigeria does not desire development in the true sense of the word sad. The people/Nigeria must be perceived first as Serious and Purposeful hence Mr Onno Ruhl's statement/perception must be seen/understood in that context.

Dubai was possible because the 'Arabs' have the desire/ vision to Act for 'nation' and of course provided the purposeful enabling environment that FDI/capital desire wherever opportunities spring up. Capital will do business anywhere there's sufficien[/b]t opportunity to do so smiley Don't envy them my brother, that's what [b]discipline, vision and Action can achieve anywhere grin very much like soldiers going to war you have to be prepared/plan ahead.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by cashful(m): 11:56pm On Jan 23, 2011
ShangoThor:

[size=18pt]@ cashful, I believe tribalism is for primitive minds[/size]

I never talk about ethic minorities in a derogatory manner.
I wish you luck with your pursuit for a 'Sovereign National Conference', but can we agree on a cut off date, i.e. if
you can't achieve this in the next five years we can start to pursue 'option b', Southern region seccession like
the Southern Sudanese have done?
Shouldn't we let the people ultimately decide? Does this make me a bigot, because
I believe in the 'sovereignty of the people' or 'formulating and implementing a workable solution to our problem?

Talk is cheap, some people talk, and other people 'act'.

[size=18pt]Fix the State, and you will fix the problem.[/size]

how do we fix the state like you mentioned

we all know that the present arrangement is not producing desired results, the leaders are cut off from the people they represent. our leaders (the ruling parties ACN, PDP etc) mainly serve their own interest,

your option b i fear might not be feasible, reasons 1)  the people have taken a "sidon look" approach to things generally;2) when they are supposed to act the leaders will put forth religious and ethnic reasons which will further divide the masses
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by SapeleGuy: 11:58pm On Jan 23, 2011
Well said, ShangoThor. They will soon be labelling you a 'militant / separatist'  smiley
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by cheikh: 12:27am On Jan 24, 2011
@SapeleGuy
On Zimbabwe, you are swallowing the propaganda, you are sharper than that. You need to do some research on the terms of the Lancaster House Agreement, whether or not this agreement was fulfilled, why Robert was made a Knight by the British Government and why the status quo changed in 1997.

As for the education, try UNESCO
http://stats.uis.unesco.org/unesco/TableViewer/document.aspx?ReportId=125&IF_Language=eng&BR_Fact=LTRAT&BR_Region=40540

@SapeleGuy
You are on point on Zimbabwe wink Very few Nigerians are aware of the politics of African Countries especially the Southern African region let alone the demonised Mugabe/Zimbabwe. The 'media' have actually fought a successful war of disinformation against an African nation before our eyes yet we choose to believe British orchestrated propaganda with the hapless/unwilling Americans in tow. Thanks for bringing the Zimbabwe insight. No doubt there are problems in Zimbabwe but it was not because they took some of their Lands back from the Settlers/Whites. They were never farming food for the Africans but tobacco, beef, mange-tu etc.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by ShangoThor(m): 1:14am On Jan 24, 2011
SapeleGuy:

Well said, ShangoThor. They will soon be labelling you a 'militant / separatist'  smiley

@ Sapele Guy,

I assure you that I do not hate our Northern countrymen, because they are fellow Africans.

I am actually a Pan-Africanist, but I am realistic and I am aware of the limitations of Pan-Africanism.

If we cannot resolve our collective differences, then we have to opt to separate and provide solutions
to our separate challenges. I mean it could be argued that 'Southern Nigeria' is propping up the
proliferation of poverty in the North. How long do you think the Northern part of Nigeria would last
for as a political entity if they had to deal with their problems of mass illiteracy, unemployment and poverty.

The system would implode I tell you.

Furthermore, I can't understand why people would feel threatened because of the nature of my arguments.
Let's stop being lazy and debate these issues. If we cannot achieve 'True Federalism' we need 'Option B'.

I'm absolutely confident that Option B would provide security, increase living standards, wealth, employment
and government accountability.

Fix the State, and you will fix the problem.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by cheikh: 1:49am On Jan 24, 2011
@Beaf
t is this sort of lazy thinking that has got us where we are. We have a unitary system that has attempted to subjugate minorities, but failed woefully; the result of those attempts are what we feel today as rampant ethnic bigotry and corruption. in more recent times, we have seen the addition of religion and amongst the wired elite, a brand new division called "diasporans."

These are all symptoms of a deeper malaise. Simply put, the Nigerian does not feel a sense of belonging. We are amazed at how far certain other countries would go to defend their citizens for the smallest crimes in foreign lands, we are equally amazed at how patriotic foreigners from these can be.

Why is this. To me the answers are simple and obvious. Unlike what obtains in modern countries, our government is more like a feudal lord than a representative, carer and arbiter for the people.
We live (not belong) in a country whose structure does not define the following:

the relationship between citizen and state. Such a definition would answer the following questions: What are the states responsibilities toward me and what are my reciprocal responsibilities? Why should I care?
ethnic part in the Nigerian structure, etnic input and relations to national wellbeing and building. Like the individual, all ethnicities must be equal
how accountability can be measured or maintained
indegenious rights, land ownership and natural resources
revenue generation and fiscal structure
intellectual rights, business rights and bureaucracratic structure
NATIONAL IDEOLOGY

Defining the above is the only way to escape the chaos and feudalism that breed corruption, lack of love and caring, hopelessness, and the lack of self belief and determination that continue to plague Nigeria and drag us deeper into the cesspit.
Corruption is not Nigeria's problem, structure is. The way to fix things is to opt for true federalism, with that will come a definition for every single point in the list above.
Report to moderator     Logged
ht

@Beaf
Pls re-read Kilode's  post again perhaps you'll come away with a different view point instead of your  haughty stance.

How can you address/solve the myriad problems of Nigeria if you do not understand fully your 'culture and history' from whence the solutions will definitely derive from, whether we ilke it or not. You do not derive appropriate solutions from 'ill defined'- Definitions /. You cannot 'Define' that which you do not understand/Know, properly, most especially if it's foreign to your worldview/ psyche. Think about it, perhaps, you'll fully appreciate the drift of his post. It's beyond simplistic analysis of Corruption and the Nigerian state as we know it now.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by CGKing(m): 9:08pm On Jan 24, 2011
I agree; corruption is not the bane. Many of the leaders dont know what to do. Some US Congressmen are corrupt but their system still works.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by baymart247(m): 5:21pm On Jan 25, 2011
Does this means that corruption cannot hinder the development of Nigeria and Nigeria economy? Ho! Come off it, what happens to all the money we've been making over the years? what happens to award of contracts in Nigeria, had it been all this things are done in an appropriate manner, things would have been different.
If corruption does not play an important role, why is it that every government that emerge tend to do things in a way that suit their own personal interest and not for the populace?
These are some of the questions that we need to answer before backing down on fighting corruption and before taking advise from some foreign punks that " corruption is not our problem"
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by frag(m): 10:43pm On Jan 25, 2011
Nigeria's problem is 100% corruption no more no less.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by frag(m): 10:53pm On Jan 25, 2011
CGKing:

I agree; corruption is not the bane. Many of the leaders dont know what to do. Some US Congressmen are corrupt but their system still works.

@cgking
The leaders your referring to,how did they get to power?
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by hebotick: 7:34am On Jan 27, 2011
Corruption can exist at every levels. What we need to do is to eradicate corruption and impose national discipline.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by TeadroTec: 12:58pm On Jan 27, 2011
Teadro Info Tech, best known I.T school in Port Harcourt for its cutting-edge training where more of I.T practicals are emphasized in:
ORACLE, CISCO, MCITP, COMPTIA A+ and N+, MOS , IC3 and much more IS AT IT AGAIN! ! !,

Offering 100 percent scholarship to meritorious students. ABSOLUTELY FREE[/size][size=8pt]
NO gimmick, no registration fee, its totally free!!!
Teadro scholarship scheme is an annual scholarship program to empower the youths through ICT training and also to create opportunities for job placement.

Additional benefits include participants been enlisted on our consultant Database for job placement with any of the following: Telecom, Banks, ISPs, Oil and Gas and so on,

Remember, scholarship is based on merit, so come along with your writing materials for a 45 minutes test at Teadro InfoTech centre, 76 stadium road Port Harcourt or call 08036086061.
This is a rare opportunity where you can get yourself certified and grounded in I.T field at just no cost. Take advantage of this grand opportunity NOW!!!

Venue: 76 Stadium Road Port Harcourt
Date: 12th February 2011
Time: 9:00 am prompt!
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by seanet03: 2:14pm On Jan 27, 2011
Teadro_Tec:

Teadro Info Tech, best known I.T school in Port Harcourt for its cutting-edge training where more of I.T practicals are emphasized in:
ORACLE, CISCO, MCITP, COMPTIA A+ and N+, MOS , IC3 and much more IS AT IT AGAIN! ! !,

Offering 100 percent scholarship to meritorious students. ABSOLUTELY FREE[/size][size=8pt]
NO gimmick, no registration fee, its totally free!!!
Teadro scholarship scheme is an annual scholarship program to empower the youths through ICT training and also to create opportunities for job placement.

Additional benefits include participants been enlisted on our consultant Database for job placement with any of the following: Telecom, Banks, ISPs, Oil and Gas and so on,

Remember, scholarship is based on merit, so come along with your writing materials for a 45 minutes test at Teadro InfoTech centre, 76 stadium road Port Harcourt or call 08036086061.
This is a rare opportunity where you can get yourself certified and grounded in I.T field at just no cost. Take advantage of this grand opportunity NOW!!!

Venue: 76 Stadium Road Port Harcourt
Date: 12th February 2011
Time: 9:00 am prompt!

Wrong section, MODs are you sleeping
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by seanet03: 2:15pm On Jan 27, 2011
Then what is the bane of Nigerias Underdevelopment, i dey laugh oooo
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Pennywise(m): 2:25pm On Jan 27, 2011
Its either this world bank rep does not know the true depth of corruption in this country or he has been called to make a speech and had to say something interesting.

We are talking about a near total collapse of the economy and a potentially major social catastrophe brought on by corruption. Now, kind hearted members of the international community who recognize this fact are giving us loans and grants which are automatically re-routed into private accounts abroad.

He should have been politely requested to shut up. We know the way things are.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by archive(f): 2:31pm On Jan 27, 2011
Oh it's so CLEAR

1. Corruption is a problem. It's a moral problem - many countries, developed or undeveloped have varying levels of corruption

BUT

2. The pospering countries at least invest in industry, infrastructure, services and education

Nigeria is corrupt to the point that the country and people are pretty much left to sh it. That's it.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by archive(f): 2:39pm On Jan 27, 2011
Pennywise:

Its either this world bank rep does not know the true depth of corruption in this country or he has been called to make a speech and had to say something interesting.

We are talking about a near total collapse of the economy and a potentially major social catastrophe brought on by corruption. Now, kind hearted members of the international community who recognize this fact are giving us loans and grants which are automatically re-routed into private accounts abroad.

He should have been politely requested to shut up. We know the way things are.

The economy is not collapsing lol. The problem that we see is that the people are poor and the basics of a civilised country are not there. The politicians could still steal a lot of money as well as greatly develop the country at the same time. Of course I am not for a minute advocating this, but my point is that the people who have the power in this country are unpatriotic, greedy to stupid levels, poor in mentality and a lack of foresight and pride. This goes far deeper than corruption

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Rejection Of Old N500, N1,000 Spreads As Nigerians Ask For Official Statement / Innocent Chukwuma Innoson Sues EFCC N200bn For ‘Defamation, Falsehood’ / Filling Station Sealed Over Non-compliance Of New Petrol Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.