Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,202 members, 7,887,528 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 10:09 AM

Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides (26003 Views)

For Couples And Those About To Marry / Should Sex Really Wait Until Marriage. A Case For Both Sides. / Lesbian And Gay Marriage Both Sides Of The Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by Nobody: 3:32am On Mar 30, 2011
MzDartjis ignorance thingy has no color barrier. I know many west indians who are against their kids getting with Africans or African parents against their kids marrying AA women etc. So the problem is bigger than race.
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by MsPotato(f): 3:36am On Mar 30, 2011
MzDarkSkin:

Well potato its you giving yourself the headache. i choose black men
for that very reason. i am not in the mood to fight to be accepted or to have to
explain to my kids why i am black and they are brown. i find compatibility with black men
and our race is diverse enough for me to choose amongst the different flavors and cultures.

i dont need to look elsewhere but i am not mad at those who do.
all i have to say is the moment you and your other race partner made it official that you guys were
a couple you should have made sure you were ready to handle the ridicule, the looks and the
hatred that comes from the outside because you love each other. Otherwise what was the point?

Dear, how can you say that? How can you blame me for all this? I dont choose who I be with. It all comes from the heart, Ive spend my years in my own country. Many guys of my own kind toasted me but everytime they tried to go near me, I get goose bumps and run 1000 miles away because of lack of attraction and no feelings at all. For a moment there I honestly thought that maybe I am a lesbian but I find it just the same disgusting having to kiss another girl. . . I went to Europe in hopes that I might fall for a white guy but the feeling is the same not untill I met a black guy. My feelings are for them and I cannot understand why is that so. Can u blame me for that? I myself cannot understand why do I have mutual feelings for black guys more than the rest. How do you explain that?
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by MsPotato(f): 3:38am On Mar 30, 2011
Tosinville:

***Tosinville kisses ms.potato***

Thanks love kiss Can u please pleaseee. . . . Im pleading with you do me a favour? embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by Tosinville(m): 3:42am On Mar 30, 2011
Ms.Potato
what kind of favor, baby boo?¿¿
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by MsPotato(f): 3:45am On Mar 30, 2011
Tosinville:

Ms.Potato
what kind of favor, baby boo?¿¿

Promise me you wont insutl me again oo. . . Your insutls are very hurting it can make me cry cry
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by Tosinville(m): 3:48am On Mar 30, 2011
^^eww!! dat touches me & i really feel like i'm guilty, never would i do that a again ever now i'm a lover not a fighter, i want to love u now @Ms.potato.
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by MsPotato(f): 3:53am On Mar 30, 2011
^^^ Awww. . . Thats much better to hear. U are a nice guy u know.
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by adamsrib(f): 3:57am On Mar 30, 2011
I always find it ironic when people make decisions then expect everyone to fall in line just because they feel it's right. You have a right to love whoever you choose to, and your parents and family have a right to reject that choice. It's called freedom of choice.  Freedom of choice is a two edged sword. It allows you to make decisions based on your beliefs and it allows others to disagree with you based on theirs.

Anyone who makes a decision and then gets upset at someone disagreeing with that decision is the epitome of a hypocrite. Let your decision be yours and let others make theirs.

IMO there are too many fine chocolate and caramel colored brothas walking around for me to dip my toe in any other flavor.
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by MrsChima(f): 3:59am On Mar 30, 2011
I am mad at you Cousin! angry angry angry angry
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by Nobody: 4:00am On Mar 30, 2011
@ms potato im not blaming you sis. All i am saying is you can't help who u like (supposedly  grin just kidding)
so follow your heart and let it go. There is no need to force and interracial relationship on everybody or question why
you are not accepted or why you are attracted to a certain type. Just go with the flow. That is all I can say.  undecided

@Mr.BJ  grin  grin (no pun intended) seriously i understand where u are coming from.
I have dated AA, Caribbean and African men. I happen to have a preference for Caribbean
men and African men but I find my attraction for African men to top all. With that having been said I realize
(and this very site has confirmed it) that I would probably be disliked by some Africans should I marry into their
family because I am not African despite my black skin but I am prepared to tell them where they can go.  wink

I wont lie it would devastate me to know my kids might experience wishy-washiness or total disregard because their father's
ppl might not like the fact that he married/impregnated a Jamo/Akata but at the end of the day my mentality is
"live and let live" and those who do not like me, i will avoid but i wont apologize for being me. bottom line. I am blessed to have
a Jamo mother who is very much intone with reality and humanity and welcomes the idea that her future son in-law may be African
(she actually believes he will be lol), from another island or even black American.

If i am in love with a man who is from another culture i know i would be foolish to enter that relationship timid and not
head strong because ppl are ppl and hate is every where but one should not let is stop them from living their lives.
It's just up to the strong ones to pay ignorant ppl little to no mind and follow their hearts.

I do think internal racial/ethnic prejudice is more devastating and interracial. As you noted and i see to be true, some blacks
are more prejudice against other blacks than other races.
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by Tosinville(m): 4:04am On Mar 30, 2011
***Tosinville gives Ms.potato bunch of rose flowers***
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by MsPotato(f): 4:09am On Mar 30, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

I am mad at you Cousin!  angry angry angry angry

Who be your cousin?  shocked

adamsrib:

I always find it ironic when people make decisions then expect everyone to fall in line just because they feel it's right. You have a right to love whoever you choose to, and your parents and family have a right to reject that choice. It's called freedom of choice.  Freedom of choice is a two edged sword. It allows you to make decisions based on your beliefs and it allows others to disagree with you based on theirs.

Anyone who makes a decision and then gets upset at someone disagreeing with that decision is the epitome of a hypocrite. Let your decision be yours and let others make theirs.

IMO there are too many fine chocolate and caramel colored brothas walking around for me to dip my toe in any other flavor.

MzDarkSkin:

@ms potato im not blaming you sis. All i am saying is you can't help who u like (supposedly  grin just kidding)
so follow your heart and let it go. There is no need to force and interracial relationship on everybody or question why
you are not accepted or why you are attracted to a certain type. Just go with the flow. That is all I can say.  undecided

@Mr.BJ  grin  grin (no pun intended) seriously i understand where u are coming from.
I have dated AA, Caribbean and African men. I happen to have a preference for Caribbean
men and African men but I find my attraction for African men to top all. With that having been said I realize
(and this very site has confirmed it) that I would probably be disliked by some Africans should I marry into their
family because I am not African despite my black skin but I am prepared to tell them where they can go.  wink

I wont lie it would devastate me to know my kids might experience wishy-washiness or total disregard because their father's
ppl might not like the fact that he married/impregnated a Jamo/Akata but at the end of the day my mentality is
"live and let live" and those who do not like me, i will avoid but i wont apologize for being me. bottom line. I am blessed to have
a Jamo mother who is very much intone with reality and humanity and welcomes the idea that her future son in-law may be African
(she actually believes he will be lol), from another island or even black American.

If i am in love with a man who is from another culture i know i would be foolish to enter that relationship timid and not
head strong because ppl are ppl and hate is every where but one should not let is stop them from living their lives.
It's just up to the strong ones to pay ignorant ppl little to no mind and follow their hearts.

I do think internal racial/ethnic prejudice is more devastating and interracial. As you noted and i see to be true, some blacks
are more prejudice against other blacks than other races.

Ladies! Ladies Ladies! Yeah its a free world to choose who you want to be with but do you honestly think that sticking to your choice and ignoring what your family has to say or do would do you any good? Like i said, you ladies have not been trough this so you obviously dont know how does it feels and how hard can it be. Being in an Asian family, one's parents can go to the extreme just to have you get married to my own kind. You can even see it on Jay's posts earlier on when his gf's parents wanted to kill him and got all the higher authorities involve just to get rid of him.

Just thank God that you have feelings for your own kind and pray it stays that way.

Mz Dark Sweety, So now even the discriminate people whom have the same skin tone colour but different country? undecided
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by MsPotato(f): 4:09am On Mar 30, 2011
Tosinville:

***Tosinville gives Ms.potato bunch of rose flowers***

Thanks dear. BTW, have you seen Lord Reed? Ive been looking all over for him? cry
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by Tosinville(m): 4:17am On Mar 30, 2011
Lord Reed? d dude don't come on here again, he's completely bored with NL, Oops! u wants to know his whereabout first before hooking up with any other guy? eh! lemme back off then.
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by MsPotato(f): 4:20am On Mar 30, 2011
Not that naa. I thought you both are close friends that why I ask
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by adamsrib(f): 4:26am On Mar 30, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

I am mad at you Cousin! angry angry angry angry

Nooo, please don't be "miffed" lol, check your email. grin
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by MrsChima(f): 4:27am On Mar 30, 2011
OH! I got it! grin
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by MrsChima(f): 4:31am On Mar 30, 2011
I am only prejudice against black men who are short, ugly, and got a tiny dick.

Now, what you mofos gon do about it? angry angry angry
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by MsPotato(f): 4:31am On Mar 30, 2011
^^^ U are mean angry
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by Tosinville(m): 4:33am On Mar 30, 2011
Ms.potato
Its alright then, are you guys not on facebook to let him know you're back on nl?
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by MrsChima(f): 4:43am On Mar 30, 2011
Ms. Potato:

^^^ U are mean angry

I will leave them to you. I like looking up with my eyes open and feeling something precious.
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by HaveSense1(m): 4:52am On Mar 30, 2011
I've once dated an Italian woman for a ripe 2 years. Even though she had her flaws, I still had love for her because she was one of the first to actually love me for me. We've long since broken up for personal reasons, but one of the many reasons was because her dad didn't like black people. And him being her dad, she was more or less forced to take his side. What bothered me is that she didn't stand up for herself, letting her dad and co. tell her lies. It was horrible, and it seriously put a dent in our relationship.

I don't think anyone should have to experience that, but hey.

That's life
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by MrsChima(f): 5:03am On Mar 30, 2011
Let keep it real, that trick didn't want you.
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by InkedNerd(f): 5:05am On Mar 30, 2011
HaveSense1:

I've once dated an Italian woman for a ripe 2 years. Even though she had her flaws, I still had love for her because she was one of the first to actually love me for me. We've long since broken up for personal reasons, but one of the many reasons was because her dad didn't like black people. And him being her dad, she was more or less forced to take his side. What bothered me is that she didn't stand up for herself, letting her dad and co. tell her lies. It was horrible, and it seriously put a dent in our relationship.

That's life

Awwww cry

Sorry to hear that.
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by Nobody: 5:07am On Mar 30, 2011
HaveSense1:

That's life

I don't want to be insensitive and flat-out say 'that relationship was not meant to be' as I know you are still pained by that but I will say that in my honest and humble opinion, you deserved much better than that.

'It was ordained that man should leave his mother and flee to the woman he loves"  - Dennis Brown

meaning both man AND woman once they reach a certain age where they can make decisions as adults should be able to make a choice and stand by it. It takes a firm woman to keep a man strong, you just need(ed) a firm woman to have your back even if it means turning her back on family because at the end of the day as much as we'd like to make our parents happy, life is all about procreating and starting a faimly of our own. Bottom line.

I am sorry to hear that though. Pick your chin up and be proud that you were a man about it.
Better will come your way bro. Trust me.  smiley wink

lmao! CHIMA!  grin
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by dayokanu(m): 5:09am On Mar 30, 2011
Of course prejusdices would always be with the human race but it is what it is.

Among Africans if you want to marry from another country there would be ppl who would talk.

Among Nigerians if you want to marry from another tribe some ppl would talk

Among the same tribe if you want to marry from another town ppl would have things to say

Even if you marry from your family self tongue tongue, ppl would still complain
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by adamsrib(f): 5:18am On Mar 30, 2011
Ms. Potato:

Who be your cousin?  shocked

Ladies! Ladies Ladies! Yeah its a free world to choose who you want to be with but do you honestly think that sticking to your choice and ignoring what your family has to say or do would do you any good? Like i said, you ladies have not been trough this so you obviously dont know how does it feels and how hard can it be. Being in an Asian family, one's parents can go to the extreme just to have you get married to my own kind. You can even see it on Jay's posts earlier on when his gf's parents wanted to kill him and got all the higher authorities involve just to get rid of him.

Just thank God that you have feelings for your own kind and pray it stays that way.

Mz Dark Sweety, So now even the discriminate people whom have the same skin tone colour but different country?  undecided

How would you know what I have been through? Don't discount other peoples experiences just because they are not your own.

I have a newsflash for you, your parents are never going to embrace your boyfriend with open arms. You can rebel, threaten and do whatever you deem necessary, but you are not going to change them. Just like they are not going to change you. You have CHOSEN to be in this situation, and yes I said CHOSEN, so you have to decide between your family and your boyfriend. That is the reality of the situation. Its it fair? No. Does it suck that you have choose? Yes. But we all know life isn't fair. And no matter how hard you try, you dont have the power to change other people. That's real.

FYI, I'm an African American woman who just married a Nigerian man and moved to Africa. We happen to be the same color but our cultures are very very different. I'm still learning the language, foods etc. It has not been easy, and I have a long way to go but everyday with him makes it all worth it. Good luck to you and may you find peace in your situation.
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by HaveSense1(m): 5:18am On Mar 30, 2011
MzDarkSkin:

[color=#0066ff]I don't want to be insensitive and flat-out say 'that relationship was not meant to be' as I know you are still pained by that but I will say that in my honest and humble opinion, you deserved much better than that.

'It was ordained that man should leave his mother and flee to the woman he loves"  - Dennis Brown

meaning both man AND woman once they reach a certain age where they can make decisions as adults should be able to make a choice and stand by it. It takes a firm woman to keep a man strong, you just need(ed) a firm woman to have your back even if it means turning her back on family because at the end of the day as much as we'd like to make our parents happy, life is all about procreating and starting a faimly of our own. Bottom line.

I am sorry to hear that though. Pick your chin up and be proud that you were a man about it.
Better will come your way bro. Trust me.  smiley wink

It doesn't really bother me anymore, really, because after that incident I knew where her stance was on the relationship. It went downhill from there, mainly because she kept giving me reason to dump her. Just thought I'd share the story with you guys pertaining to the topic smiley

Mrs.Chima:

Let keep it real, that trick didn't want you.  

Trust me, I got that vibe way before that incident, which is why I'm not as hurt as I would've been.

Inked_Nerd:

Awwww cry

Sorry to hear that.

Hey, life happens, nothing that couldn't make me stronger smiley
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by InkedNerd(f): 5:22am On Mar 30, 2011
HaveSense1:

Hey, life happens, nothing that couldn't make me stronger smiley

Attaboy wink

adamsrib:

How would you know what I have been throujavascript:void(0);gh? Don't discount other peoples experiences just because they are not your own.

I have a newsflash for you, your parents are never going to embrace your boyfriend with open arms. You can rebel, threaten and do whatever you deem necessary, but you are not going to change them. Just like they are not going to change you. You have CHOSEN to be in this situation, and yes I said CHOSEN, so you have to decide between your family and your boyfriend. That is the reality of the situation. Its it fair? No. Does it suck that you have choose? Yes. But we all know life isn't fair. And no matter how hard you try, you dont have the power to change other people. That's real.

FYI, I'm an African American woman who just married a Nigerian man and moved to Africa. We happen to be the same color but our cultures are very very different. I'm still learning the language, foods etc. It has not been easy, and I have a long way to go but everyday with him makes it all worth it. Good luck to you and may you find peace in your situation.

Eh ya, I can only imagine what you've experienced being in a new environment cry
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by Nobody: 5:25am On Mar 30, 2011
HaveSense1 I feel you bro.  cool

@Potato *sighs*  grin  grin sis bottom line you say you are not happy right? here is what i want you to do before we further drag this out.

get a sheet a paper and jot down all of the good things and the bad things you have experienced with your Naija other half ok? (yes i got the idea from 'Why Did I Get Married'  grin grin that is my MOVIE!!!!!) so you do that and you dont have to share it on here but when u do, come back and then we will discuss how to get you to move on according to how you feel after having time to think and reminisce. Sound like a plan?

Also I have EVERY right to speak on this topic. I wasn't always proud of my blackness much less a fan of my own black men. I used to suffer self hatred and like white and light skinned men. It was only when a white guy who i thought liked me, denied having feelings for me amongst his friends that i got a bitter taste of the exploring elsewhere thing. I was 12 at the time and it hurt but I am glad it happened.  smiley Now my only issue is black on black ignorance but that is a battle I'm not even going to dwell on cause I know how to handle and stand up for myself. I just want you to, aswell.  smiley
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by HaveSense1(m): 6:39am On Mar 30, 2011
MzDarkSkin:

cheesy

I understand some predicaments that would force someone to choose a side. But if you can't stand up for yourself, then I don't think you should be dating.
Re: Mixed Couples And Racism On Both Sides by MsPotato(f): 7:02am On Mar 30, 2011
Tosinville:

Ms.potato
Its alright then, are you guys not on facebook to let him know you're back on nl?

No I dont have him on my FB nor do I have him on my YIM. Sad huh? sad

Mrs.Chima:

I will leave them to you. I like looking up with my eyes open and feeling something precious.

Its like u are criticizing one of God's work of art my dear. Nobody asked to be short, born with a small prick and ugly. I mean if they had a choice, they would definitely want to be the opposite of what they are.

HaveSense1:

That's life

I know what u mean and I understand u. IIm so sorry for what you have to go through cry

adamsrib:

How would you know what I have been through? Don't discount other peoples experiences just because they are not your own.

My dear, Im sorry. Being in a new environemnt is definitely hard and the hardest thing is having to change your lifestyle to a tougher one. Mind me asking. why did you both decided to move to Nigeria instead of living in America ? Did your family approve of him marrying you and did his family approve of you marrying him? Are you both planning to stay in NIgeria and have kids there and grow up there?

I know my parents wont change and nor am I but yeah, I made a choice and Im sticking to it untill my last breath. But I dont agree that you are calling me a hypocrit just because I made a decision to love someone and I am fighting for my love life against those whom are trying their very best to destroy my relationship with the man I first love and presently love and have never love anyone else before, during and after him.

My parents have their own opinion about my love life, I also have my own . They had their chance to find their love, so do I. That still doesnt make me a hypocrit.

MzDarkSkin:

@Potato *sighs*  grin  grin sis bottom line you say you are not happy right? here is what i want you to do before we further drag this out.

get a sheet a paper and jot down all of the good things and the bad things you have experienced with your Naija other half ok? (yes i got the idea from 'Why Did I Get Married'  grin grin that is my MOVIE!!!!!) so you do that and you dont have to share it on here but when u do, come back and then we will discuss how to get you to move on according to how you feel after having time to think and reminisce. Sound like a plan?

Also I have EVERY right to speak on this topic. I wasn't always proud of my blackness much less a fan of my own black men. I used to suffer self hatred and like white and light skinned men. It was only when a white guy who i thought liked me, denied having feelings for me amongst his friends that i got a bitter taste of the exploring elsewhere thing. I was 12 at the time and it hurt but I am glad it happened.  smiley Now my only issue is black on black ignorance but that is a battle I'm not even going to dwell on cause I know how to handle and stand up for myself. I just want you to, aswell.  smiley

Missy, you are missing the entire whole point of what I said earlier. I never said I wasn't happy with my Naija bf. Have I in anyways said that I was not happy with him? Please read again. I am only mentioning about how angry I am with my parents and how they see this whole thing. Nobody said I was not happy with him. If Im not happy with him, believe me, I will break up with him like uhmmm . . . Lets see. . . 3 years ago! I am not the type of persin to beat around the bush. I know who I love and what I want.

My dear, there is a reason why people are born a certain way. I always ask myself, why am I not born a black person? undecided but you know everything in life just is the way it is. But I believe that if I eventually get married to my Naija guy, Im sure it will make a difference and a huge impact in many people's life and maybe I can also win an award cause in my hometown, if I get married to a black guy, Ill be the first to get married to a black guy in this island. Woo pee! tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

ADVICE On The Best Gift To Give An EX On Her Wedding. / Bedridden Man Weds In Benue State (Photos) / Girl selling bra show of her hot boobs (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.