Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,701 members, 7,889,234 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 06:18 AM

Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! (27867 Views)

Poll: Is Dangote really richer than Oprah Winfrey?

Yes: 57% (81 votes)
No: 42% (61 votes)
This poll has ended

Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. / Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! / Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Elgaxton(m): 12:52pm On Jul 09, 2007
[size=20pt]So You guys mean Dangote is worth more than Opray, na him be sey the guy hold am sha![/size]

Question 1: if he was not connected to the Government/Politics would he have so much money?

Question 2: If he was payin half the amount of tax Opray pays will he be able to boast of such?
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by angel101(f): 1:56pm On Jul 09, 2007
Mariory:

This was the question you asked.

---------
And what has he done to touch the lives of the less priviledged in the society? who cares what he is worth if it makes no difference to the society in which he lives?! Shocked

My statement was in comparison to what oprah does for the less priviledged obviously (well at least to others on this thread)
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by uchetobi(f): 2:01pm On Jul 09, 2007
@elgaxton do you pay the same amount of tax people with your income equivalent pay outside Nigeria
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by angel101(f): 2:02pm On Jul 09, 2007
@eglaxton
Answer 1. NO
Answer 2. NO

shame isnt it?
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by angel101(f): 2:07pm On Jul 09, 2007
lol
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Kubed2klin(m): 2:30pm On Jul 09, 2007
Why Dangote no go feel big boy? His Sugar company is soaring on the NSE. very soon his Cement factory go do IPO. NA him buy Kaduna and P-H refineries. Oops Sorry, my big mouth wide very much. They say no be him buy them. But anyway, the guy get dough. he no get wifey to share his profits. Why him no go feel say him hold pass Winfery?

U no no the tianw abi na remote, I mean jazz wey him get.

Let him be. allow him buy Naija.

we are heading to a Rep. of Dangote, abi Blue Star abi na new name him go form who knows. but the guy hold sha,
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Mamajama(m): 2:34pm On Jul 09, 2007
I don't Blvd in this poll, only you and your bank knows how much you have in your accounts FORD and other people are just suggesting based on investments and income. 1st republic politicians used to hide their money under mattress or in a well. so how can you tabulate how much they stole or are worth. DANGOTE should continue his business adventure and stop talking. and again this is Nigerian press trying to sell paper again.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Elgaxton(m): 2:34pm On Jul 09, 2007
@ Uchetobi!

Pls find out the meaning of the word "IF"?

@Angel101!

Angel angel shocked shocked, flying around the whole forumn looking for whom to spell doom,

Get thee behind me o u angel of doom grin
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by deb(m): 2:42pm On Jul 09, 2007
Man! See envy from Nairalanders shocked shocked shocked

You better like the rich so you too can be rich cheesy

They are ready to teach you their principles o.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by pek(m): 2:47pm On Jul 09, 2007
dangote might be the richest man on earth but here in nigeria what has be done to better the lives of the average nigerian on the street? must we continue to applaud the take take and take syndrome? the is no room for comparism as ophra has bettered the lives of people with her wealth.today, ther are 6 nigerians in the top 100 of richest people yet we cant feel their impact. it is high time we began to extol people who give back to the soceity.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by angel101(f): 3:11pm On Jul 09, 2007
Elgaxton:

@Angel101!

Angel angel shocked shocked, flying around the whole forumn looking for whom to spell doom,

Get thee behind me o u angel of doom grin

Eglaxton, Eglaxton, Eglaxton!!!!
take ur time o! grin
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by denex: 3:16pm On Jul 09, 2007
How would any of you feel if you scored 350 in JAMB and somebody that scored 300 is being awarded as the highest scorer.

Read the Guinness book of records and you will see a lot of false awards being given to Americans.

Because Oprah is American, does that make her richer than Deinde Fernandez?

Dangote himself is saying he's not even sure he's the richest in Africa.

That means if everything is well calculated, he Dangote will make it to the top 10, while Oprah will make it to the top 20.

By the way, it's not the responsibility of the rich to provide for the poor. All this corporate social responsibility thing is just a marketing strategy used by corporate bodies to get more customers and thereby rip the public off some more.

Abeg O! If I get four head and I see say them dey hail somebody wey get three head for China as the man with the most heads, I go rear my heads O!

How dem go use chicken do thanksgiving when turkey dey yanfu-yanfu?
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by kuwena(m): 3:29pm On Jul 09, 2007
I do not at all think that Oprah is worth only $1.5 billion. There must be a mistake somewhere. I read a book by Dr. Emma Etuk: The 21 Habits of Highly Successful People. In that book, he stated that Oprah was worth about $14 billion. (He also said that Bill Gates was worth $47 billion). I think The Sun'a story is untrue. I read Mass Communication, and we know that The Sun thrives on sensationalism, and not facts. I must reiterate that I do not think Dangote is half as rich as the most influential black woman, Oprah Winfrey, who is among the global swarthy who-is-who; an honour Dangote may never have. Others who have this honour are: Nelson Mandela, Philip Emeagwali, Martin Luther King, Desmond Tutu, Chinua Achebe - all of whom are universally acclaimed for undisputed goodwill and industry. And as for being the richest African, is he wealthier for example than Dehinde Fernandez, who owns a diamond mine? Dangote is a dreamer, it seems.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by BigB11(m): 3:44pm On Jul 09, 2007
Posted by Seun:
Why is he boasting? Oprah Winfrey doesn't boast about her wealth. Boasting about wealth only breeds envy.

This is not boasting, this is called business strategy.
It is another way to advertise yourself and your business venture to the world. If you have the balls, it isn't a bad strategy.

When you get to DANGOTE's level, people envying you becomes part of your life. You can never detach yourself from it. There will be haters regardless of what you do or what you say or how you carry yourself.
You must not pay attention to these irrelevant side attractions

As a successful businessman or CEO:Your business venture is your number one priority and you must stay focused and careless what anyone thinks of you.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Mamajama(m): 4:03pm On Jul 09, 2007
BIGB1 what world do you live in. what kind of business strategy is saying you are richer than another person provide? that argument is senseless. its a free world DANGOTTE is allowed to say what ever he wants and I think he has done allot for Nigerians but we need more from him. I encourage him to embark on more life changing projects and engage in a philanthropic organization to better peoples life. No one will buy your product by saying you are the richest man in the world. People buy products based on choice and desire or brands
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by henro2007: 4:05pm On Jul 09, 2007
An adage in yourubaland says that, somebody is said be rich and you are accusing him he crawls with his chest (meaning he is a smuggler), you too crawl with your 'yansh' so you can be rich. It's only poor people that criticise rich men. That's how it is all over the world, and I refuse to be poor! Dangote!! abegi carry go. Proud of you.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Orikinla(m): 4:32pm On Jul 09, 2007
Dangote, Otedola, David Mark, Gbenga Obasanjo, Jimoh Ibrahim, and the rest of the Nigerian Mafia are not different from Al Capone, Lucky Luciano, and the other kingpins of the Mafia who played active roles in the politics of America in their days.
Dangote employs thousands of Nigerians and pays them salaries to feed their families?
Fred Ajidua also gave scholarships to over 2,000 indigenes of Delta state, but he was indicted for financial crimes.

Dangote, Otedola, and gang should be in jail for financial crimes.

If you want to know why the ruling Nigerian politicians and their partners in crime since 1960 to date should be tried for financial crimes and violations of human rights, go on tour of Nigerian police barracks, Army barracks, Navy and Air Force barracks.  And see how police and military officers of junior ranks live like dogs, because their taskmasters have been robbing them of their entitlements and the revenues have been diverted and misappropriated by the corrupt governments and their collaborators/contractors like Dangote, Otedola and gang who should be tried and jailed.

Do you know how many thousands of poor Nigerians have died over delayed and unpaid gratuities and pensions?

Do you know how many thousands of Nigerians have died, because of power outages caused by the mismanagement of the energy sector?

Do you know how many thousands of Nigerians have died from lack of good Primary Health Care caused by the mismanagement of the health sector?

Do you know how many thousands of Nigerians have died from unemployment caused by the mismanagement of the civil service and private sector?

If you know what is really going on in Nigeria, you will not hesitate to behead most of these criminals heading the oligarchy and plutocracy wrecking Nigeria for the past 47 years.
Forbes and Fortune Magazine will never rank these Nigerian billionaires; because they know their ill-gotten wealth and other stolen goods cannot qualify them for honest successful entrepreneurs.

Aliko Dangote should be ashamed of comparing himself to Lady Oprah Winfrey, because there is no basis for such irrational comparison.  The IRS can trace the financial history of Oprah Winfrey, but the Nigerian tax office cannot provide the tax record of Aliko Dangote from when his rich uncles gave him money to start his businesses to date.

It is a great shame that a country like Malaysia is richer than Nigeria when what has been the propelling force of Malaysia is palm produce.

Google was launched in 1998 and the brains behind Google are still richer than Aliko Dangote and the others implicated in the misappropriation and misapplication of the Nigerian economy who have been exploiting the poor masses of Nigeria since 1970 to date.

The Nigerian ruling class must be toppled!

If I have my way, I would do what Jerry Rawlings did in Ghana, by toppling the government and then arraign all the past rulers of Nigeria from retired General Yakubu Gowon to the present head of state, Alhaji Umaru Yar’Adua and anyone found guilty misappropriation of federal revenues directly or indirectly would be jailed accordingly.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by BigB11(m): 4:38pm On Jul 09, 2007
Posted by MAMAJAMA:
BIGB1 what world do you live in.  what kind of business strategy is saying you are richer than another person provide?  that argument is senseless. its a free world DANGOTTE is allowed to say what ever he wants and I think he has done allot for Nigerians but we need more from him.  I encourage him to embark on more life changing projects and engage in a philanthropic organization to better peoples life.  No one will buy your product by saying you are the richest man in the world.  People buy products based on choice and desire or brands

First, it is clear that you know absolutely nothing about the man, DANGOTE; and it will be fair and decent for you to slow down and do some research before talking rubbish as usual.

Second, if you're the richest man around it means your business ventures are bright and mostly successful, which also means you're a brave man and you represent a profitable asset.
When this happens:

1. Banks tend to easily back up all your investment.
2. Investors tend to take risk investing with you without any hesitation.
3. Your stocks stay at the top at all time.
4. Government contract becomes very very easy for you to get.
5. Politicians kiss your ass with no problem.
6. Your businesses are treated with respect all over the world.
7. Top notches from all over the world want to work for you or represent you.
And so on.

In short, you become untouchable and a mega empire.  

Finally, Stop hating, let's embrace and be proud of the man.
Don't you guys tired of 419 on CNN every other week?
This is a GREAT news for Nigeria in general.

I love Oprah, but my respect goes to DANGOTE and I wish him well with everything.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Mamajama(m): 4:41pm On Jul 09, 2007
Impressive but we need proof, not just your inscriptions, how do you know Dangotte is corrupt? Enlighten us please
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by BigB11(m): 4:45pm On Jul 09, 2007
Posted by MAMAJAMA:
how do you know Dangotte is corrupt?

Who said DANGOTE is corrupt?
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by denex: 4:48pm On Jul 09, 2007
he said he does not believe he is the richest man in Africa. But definitely, if Oprah Winfrey is worth $1.5 billion then he is richer than her.

Even Carlos Slim of Mexico had wondered why despite the fact that most times his wealth was far more than Bill Gates, he was never ranked among the richest men. But only recently when his total worth was calculated, he was found to be richer than Microsoft's Bill Gates and Virgin's Richard Branson put together!

So let the truth be told. Dangote is richer than 3 Oprahs. It's not about charity donations or low income tax or country of origin. It's about compilation of Data.

Oprah Winfrey is worth $1.5 billion. If she can be rated as the richest "black" person in the world, then there must be two worlds!

Where is Deinde Fernandez? Where is Harry Akande? Where is Mike Adenuga? Where is Ethiopia's Hussein Al Amoudi? Where is Otedola?

Abeg jare, these Americans should stop lying and stop trying too hard to make Africa look like a destitute land.

By the way, Oprah is not really a billionaire. A billionaire has billions. Oprah has a billion.

If we want rankings of billionaires that have contributed money to their society or have paid workers pensions or policemen's salaries, we will go and check the list for that. But here we are looking at a ranking that says the richest "black" person. Not the richest kindest "black" person.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by mimiko(f): 4:50pm On Jul 09, 2007
Male Ego!
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Mariory(m): 4:52pm On Jul 09, 2007
Big B1:

1. Banks tend to easily back up all your investment.
2. Investors tend to take risk investing with you without any hesitation.
3. Your stocks stay at the top at all time.
4. Government contract becomes very very easy for you to get.
5. Politicians kiss your ass with no problem.
6. Your businesses are treated with respect all over the world.
7. Top notches from all over the world want to work for you or represent you.
And so on.

In short, you become untouchable and a mega empire.

Finally, Stop hating, let's embrace and be proud of the man.
Don't you guys tired of 419 on CNN every other week?
This is a GREAT news for Nigeria in general.

I love Oprah, but my respect goes to DANGOTE and I wish him well with everything.

Exactly. The man is now building a massive refinery that will employ thousands of Nigerians but, obviously for some it is not enough. They expect him to fly around the country throwing money down to the population.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6572289.stm
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Mamajama(m): 4:56pm On Jul 09, 2007
That was for Orikinla not you BIGB1
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Orikinla(m): 5:02pm On Jul 09, 2007
Ask Dangote and his uncles what happened to the famous groundnut pyramids of Kano?

What of the cotton?

What of the hide and skin industries?

[size=14pt]What is the north contributing to the backbone of the Nigerian economy when crude oil accounts for 95% of the revenue?[/size]

How many medical doctors, engineers, academics, and other professionals are they contributing to the development of Nigeria?
What has Dangote and his gang done to address the underdevelopment in Northern Nigeria?

How many of you have visited the rural areas in the north?

The Dantatas, Dangotes, Rabius, Abachas, Babagindas, Yar'Aduas and their partners in crime have exploited and plundered the north and then turned to milk the south of our oil revenues.

Dangote is boasting of billions of what?

I feel sorry for the millions of Nigerians without conscience and without shame who are kissing the arse of Dangote and his gang.

Most Nigerians on Nairaland are boot-lickers and arse-kissers of the evil and wicked exploiters and destroyers of the Nigerian state.  Even those who are posing and posturing that they are doing well in America and the UK, return to Nigeria to kowtow and bend over to compromise their dignity and integrity in selfish pursuit of the favours and handouts of the wicked rulers in Nigeria. Then on Sundays, they go to Church to pay lip service and eye-service to God in shameless hypocrisy.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by bodsibobo(m): 5:05pm On Jul 09, 2007
Hmmm, Hmmm, Hmmm,

I now see the way this thread is going and I'm definitely going to back off after this.

If people still think like this in 2007, we still have a long way to go before Nigeria can be great!
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by dafman(m): 5:11pm On Jul 09, 2007
denex:

he said he does not believe he is the richest man in Africa. But definitely, if Oprah Winfrey is worth $1.5 billion then he is richer than her.

Even Carlos Slim of Mexico had wondered why despite the fact that most times his wealth was far more than Bill Gates, he was never ranked among the richest men. But only recently when his total worth was calculated, he was found to be richer than Microsoft's Bill Gates and Virgin's Richard Branson put together!

So let the truth be told. Dangote is richer than 3 Oprahs. It's not about charity donations or low income tax or country of origin. It's about compilation of Data.

Oprah Winfrey is worth $1.5 billion. If she can be rated as the richest "black" person in the world, then there must be two worlds!

Where is Deinde Fernandez? Where is Harry Akande? Where is Mike Adenuga? Where is Ethiopia's Hussein Al Amoudi? Where is Otedola?

Abeg jare, these Americans should stop lying and stop trying too hard to make Africa look like a destitute land.

By the way, Oprah is not really a billionaire. A billionaire has billions. Oprah has a billion.

If we want rankings of billionaires that have contributed money to their society or have paid workers pensions or policemen's salaries, we will go and check the list for that. But here we are looking at a ranking that says the richest "black" person. Not the richest kindest "black" person.
Good point you made here. They seem to concentrate on America and Europe and parts of Asia thinking that since other regions are mostly poverty stricken there can't possibly be any billionaires
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Mamajama(m): 5:15pm On Jul 09, 2007
People remember this news is commint from sun times, how credible is the source?
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by dremoney(m): 5:20pm On Jul 09, 2007
haba seun,

y d beef?

d guy deserves some respect bro.

at least he has d bulk of his investments on ground in nigeria!
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by nguage(m): 5:21pm On Jul 09, 2007
The tax system in Nigeria is a mess! I also heard that the workers are grossly underpaid.

questions
Does Alhaji fund any charity organisations?
Does he pay taxes?
How many wives has he got?
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by ph4life(m): 5:22pm On Jul 09, 2007
Like some naija idiots go talk - God gives power, ode na him all of them be. People put others in power not God. They keep on recycling themselves and we all act like everything is Ok. How many Nigerians has any of these bastards helped. I SAY LET'S ROB THEM!!!
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by tkb417(m): 5:31pm On Jul 09, 2007
Hey hey Na real wah!! for 9ja people
First off, what has this guy done to people that jibes are just flowing left to right. I can understand. Our leaders hasnt done much to let us know and feel the amount of money you stack in ur bank accounts doesnt really say u should be celebrated.

These guys in Nigeria no matter how legit dia money is, we all see them as rogues just because we have never been privy or come in contact with the proceeds from OIL MONEY. The rich are getting richer, the poor are getting poorer. save for the wonder banks that came to wrestle some people out of doom(Recently, their is a campain by some rich people again to thwart this). No one seems to know the way out .Yet,dangote has all the effontery to say he's richer than Oprah. Let him go to the hottest part of hell cos we dont care. That wont buy me a car nor give me money to rent a crib.

As for issues raised. His boasts will not help improve our already dented image abroad because he's already tainted as well.His 'loot' sorry he's wealth is already as a result of his dallying with the present and past rulers.
If his staff are grossly underpaid -that i dont know. we should be careful to say stuffs like that cos that mite not be true.
BOASTING: someone said he was boasting. To me yeah, he was actually looking for international media hype for his wealth. I do not know if as a result of his wealth, he has crumbled businesses ooo. What i know is the young man is the largest employer of labour in Nigeria. I think he has caught up with Coca cola. So some kudos to him for that. We really need to be able to give thumbs up when its necessary. some of our billionares are stashing away our cash abroad and hes at least industrializing Nigeria which is commendable.

About taxes, i know the Nigeria factor will be there. he must be running away from some form of taxes. I may be proved wrong. On this, no one is sure.

VERDICT: Dangote has done more than all our celebrated 9ja billionaires. His effect might not directly be trickling down to the common man on the streets but, in a way, hes a great man in the context ive written about him. Nigeria has a way of making u who u are ,no maater how good you are. We can prove this. Obasanjo, Abiola,Wole Soyinka, Tai Solarin, Awolowo etc at a point were dubbed to have compromised some ethics, Enuff epistle

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Wrong Charges Made On My Account By FCMB / Can I Change My BVN Picture? / Can Same BVN Be Used For An Account Holder With Different Account Names?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.