Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,704 members, 7,889,237 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 06:29 AM

Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! (27868 Views)

Poll: Is Dangote really richer than Oprah Winfrey?

Yes: 57% (81 votes)
No: 42% (61 votes)
This poll has ended

Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. / Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! / Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Mariory(m): 12:18pm On Jul 11, 2007
Interesting development

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/c5959288-2f4a-11dc-b9b7-0000779fd2ac.html

Umaru Yar'Adua, Nigeria's president, says he has asked the five business moguls who benefited most under his predecessor's rule to contribute some of their wealth to a fund aimed at stimulating small enterprises.

No doubt Dangote will be among those 5 moguls. that should appease some in this thread.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Mandora(f): 1:43pm On Jul 11, 2007
Money wise, he may [s][/s]be worth more tahn she is. But in measuring human values she definity is worth much more. In the scheme of things I think her worth ranks higher.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by goodguy(m): 4:24pm On Jul 11, 2007
I am still very much amazed at the level the people here have taken Dangote's comment to.

I think the problem we're having here is that most people are reading the title of this thread as an encapsulation of his whole statement altogether.  I hereby implore you haters to stop ranting, read the interview yourselves, and you'll see where he's coming from.

Dangote was not explicitly comparing himself to Oprah.  In reality, he was only comparing his worth to that of the supposed richest black person in the world, which could have been anybody.  The fact he did not consider himself as the richest man in Africa, simply means that he considered the possibilty of some other Africans being richer than himself.  However, his main contention in that statement he made simply, is that, he is definitely worth much more than $1.5bn - and that is a fact!
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by vikiviko(m): 5:16pm On Jul 11, 2007
By Nigerian standard Dangote can claim to be rich without paying taxes, influuencing govt to buy refineries and other govt investments at a give away price.

The nigerian environment is not transparent enough for a business mogul like t Dangote to do business without getting his hands soiled.
The purchase of the refineries by Dangote to me is indictment on his business acumen and transparency.
Oprah operates in an environment where transparency and financial prudency is the order.An am sure she can declare and explain how she got her assets.

But to a large extent am happy that a Nigerian could say he is as rich as that.with all businesses here and there , there might be some truth that Dangote could probably be the richest black man.
What about Adenuga Jr of Glo, i beleive he's richer than Dangote.

The challenge is now open, Forbes magazine we await your verdict.

i SHOULD BE NOMONATED TOO AMONG THE RICHEST IN THE WORLD.
ITS FUN TO HEAR YOUR NAME AS THE RICHEST

VIKIVIKO THE RICHEST ON NAIRALAND
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by ebos(m): 5:57pm On Jul 11, 2007
I do believe that Adenuga (the Glo) is fronting for somebody. If his hands are clean, let him come back to Nigeria and defend himself. I can't understand why he's running because of EFCC.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by tundewoods(m): 11:05pm On Jul 11, 2007
@  Topic
The response to this topic regarding whose richer between Dangote and Oprah has simply been overwhelming,
(Just Imagine the number of views this thread has attracted just within 3 or 4 day)

@Business of the Day
Now lets get down to business.Its funny to see fellow Nigerians response to Dangote's simple statement of fact.I got a copy of the Sun Newspaper when i realised that his strory titled " MY STORY" was the front page cover story.

I've read his entire story and i must confess i do have a lot of respect for the PROUDLY NIGERIAN ENTERPRENEUR.It is obvious that most of the HATERS that are CRITICIZING DANGOTE over his statement have not even taken their time to read his simple and honest interview in the Sun Newspaper.

@ DANGOTE HATERs
Please spare sometime to read the interview he granted the SUN,i assure you will learn from it,honestly.

It seems that we have generated to teams on this THREAD
The Dangote Haters the villains of NIGERIA's Progress

and

The Rest of Us, FANS of DANGOTE UTD
[ Upcoming Entrepreneurs willing to learn from this Role Model Business Enterpreneur]

Lastly
@OPRAH FANS
I pity Una ! Make Una dey DECEIVE Una sef with the American Dream. Forbes Insults the BLACK RACE proclaiming Oprah as the richest Black Person and dare open your wide mouths to criticize a true Nigerian industrial patriot.

The Truth is Bitter but must be told.
DANGOTE is certainly richer than America's Queen of Talk.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by naijaking1: 3:28am On Jul 12, 2007
The real question is how much the man get? And how much tax did he pay last year?
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by adconline(m): 5:56am On Jul 12, 2007
I don't know why  Nigerians always want to blow their trumpets. Why hasnt Dangote  been listed on Forbes magazine? Even  Dr Mo Ibrahim of Sudan who built CELTEL into a  multi billion dollar company is not asking for accollades.  Mo Ibrahim sold the company for billions of dollars, yet he is still not comparing his wealth to anybody. Folks are just talking, is Dangote talking about his gross worth or networth.  N200 billion Naira is  alot of money folks unless we are talking of stolen funds. Dangote's investments will find him out when he reaches a billion dollars mark.

Isnt easy to become a billionaire in Naija when you underpay for a refinery to the tune of $1.4 billion

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=83454&printer_friendly=1

PH Refinery Under-Priced by over $1.4bn, Says C’ttee
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by amaikama(m): 9:14am On Jul 12, 2007
naijaking! does Nigerian businessmen or elite in Nigeria pay taxes?
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by angel101(f): 10:45am On Jul 12, 2007
amaikama:

naijaking! does Nigerian businessmen or elite in Nigeria pay taxes?

The honest ones do
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by JiggaMouse(m): 10:49am On Jul 12, 2007
[size=22pt]I am worth more than Dangote and Oprah joined together!!![/size]

Quote me grin

====================================================
Like reading blogs? Read all Nigerian blogs here: http://naijalive.net/nigerianblogs
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by uchetobi(f): 12:17pm On Jul 12, 2007
ok whatever
JiggaMouse:

[size=22pt]I am worth more than Dangote and Oprah joined together!!![/size]

Quote me grin

====================================================
Like reading blogs? Read all Nigerian blogs here: http://naijalive.net/nigerianblogs

Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by monsieurp: 5:58pm On Jul 12, 2007
i wonder why Nigerians hate rich people if u truly want 2 be rich(i mean very rich) dont despise rich people. i agree dat he got some government help in coming very rich but dats no reason to castigate him( wont u do the same if you were in his shoes). we must learn 2 celebrate our own people. that man called dangote employs over 20 000 people in nigeria(dats 20 000 less starving people) if we have 20 of him in Nigeria this country would have less unemployed youths

i think its unfair 2 the blackrace if u say the riches black person is only 1.5billion dollars rich. i believe dat there r oda super rich Africans who r alot richer than Oprah and dat includes Dangote
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by 9ja4eva: 12:22am On Jul 13, 2007
Dangote is nt richer dn Oprah
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by IykeD1(m): 6:38am On Jul 13, 2007

don't know why Nigerians always want to blow their trumpets. Why hasnt Dangote been listed on Forbes magazine? Even Dr Mo Ibrahim of Sudan who built CELTEL into a multi billion dollar company is not asking for accollades. Mo Ibrahim sold the company for billions of dollars, yet he is still not comparing his wealth to anybody. Folks are just talking, is Dangote talking about his gross worth or networth. N200 billion Naira is alot of money folks unless we are talking of stolen funds. Dangote's investments will find him out when he reaches a billion dollars mark.

Isnt easy to become a billionaire in Naija when you underpay for a refinery to the tune of $1.4 billion

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=83454&printer_friendly=1

PH Refinery Under-Priced by over $1.4bn, Says C’ttee

If I may ask, who provided the $1.4 billion evaluation being used now, don't tell me its the NLC? What
a joke? They said the same thing when Transcorp bought NITEL, but till date no one is volunteering to
assist Transcorp in overhauling the rot that is NITEL.

Also, NNPC and DPR are calling for the cancellation of the sale. Seems like Dangote's accusation of deep
corruption within the NNPC is hitting home. These guys feels threatened as they are all beneficiaries of
the systematic corruption that is entrenched in the refineries. All this is just noise as I am sure BPE
has already cashed the check - who knows maybe thats where they are now getting funds to settle
the disengaged NITEL workers lately. . . the comedy continues.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by mashaun(m): 7:54am On Jul 13, 2007
[b][/b]that is thesedays African Psychology which i describe as"colo-mentality",why are you people saying negative about this man's boasting,he worths it and he says so till tomorow.if anyone of you are in his shoe you say more than that. we believe whatever White men say is always the right.You peopple ail Gate, Bronchencut etc whenever they talk abt their their wealth in the wall street Journal, but you hardly appreciate your products, instead you gossip that they did rituals,they are 419ner etc.evaluate the contributn of these men (others inclusive) to the GDP.lets stop enemity.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by ebos(m): 9:12am On Jul 13, 2007
Now I have just heard that Dangote is about to go into construction, 2morrow, they will tell us how he's better than every other Construction Company and all the contracts will be going 2 him, if at all the govt will not find one flimsy excuse to eliminate other construction compaines . When it happens, we will cont 2 watch, smile and clap for the so-called Dangote. We all know that the powers that be helped him, good for him - the only son of the soil. Won't they help others or at least allow competition? The govt only allow competition after Dangote has firmly established himself, then other competitors coming up will find it difficult to face him. He has already captured the market, his own price will be reduced because of what we call large economics of scale thereby amassing for himself every kobo.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by fawwyb(m): 9:42am On Jul 13, 2007
well, his richness should not be boost of, he should rather boost of lifes that he has touched, number of students that are under his scholarship and number of poor poeple that benifit from his richness. Remember, poor poeple can not buy Dangote shares.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by nezerst(f): 12:54pm On Jul 13, 2007
Oprah was never tagged the richest black persn in the world rather the first black female billionaire and that was over ten years ago. Dangote does not even know how he is worth not to talk of oprah.
How wont he even be the richest when he is virtually in control of every business sector in the country.
Oil moguls, watch your back!
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by infiniti(f): 2:06pm On Jul 13, 2007
@ Iyke-D

TRUE words. the gud thing is that Dangote investes in Nigeria
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by kevin96(m): 11:05pm On Jul 14, 2007
what has oprah done for your country nigeriapls will should learn how to appreciate ourselves.dangote is great.he has more that 200 staff who are on salaries.why all the blames to him,maybe he should have kept his money to him self.i think that is what you people need.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by kevin96(m): 11:11pm On Jul 14, 2007
infiniti:

@ Iyke-D

TRUE words. the good thing is that Dangote investes in Nigeria

broda you are on the right track.i really agree with you,at least he has survive a lots of nigerians,what has oprah done for nigeria??
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by kevin96(m): 11:19pm On Jul 14, 2007
ebos:

Now I have just heard that Dangote is about to go into construction, 2morrow, they will tell us how he's better than every other Construction Company and all the contracts will be going 2 him, if at all the govt will not find one flimsy excuse to eliminate other construction compaines . When it happens, we will cont 2 watch, smile and clap for the so-called Dangote. We all know that the powers that be helped him, good for him - the only son of the soil. Won't they help others or at least allow competition? The govt only allow competition after Dangote has firmly established himself, then other competitors coming up will find it difficult to face him. He has already captured the market, his own price will be reduced because of what we call large economics of scale thereby amassing for himself every kobo.

i dont really agree with your ideal
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Ismyeel: 1:45am On Jul 15, 2007
imagine, a man who says making excess profit has become an habit for him,it is no more something to jubilate about,but getting people arround him richer is now his hobby.if it is true as he stated,it is a thump up for naija now even though masses are still living below $1.what interest me in that dangote of a man is that he believes in Nigeria and thrives in nigeria
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Nobody: 2:33am On Jul 15, 2007
Ismyeel:

imagine, a man who says making excess profit has become an habit for him,it is no more something to jubilate about,but getting people arround him richer is now his hobby.if it is true as he stated,it is a thump up for naija now even though masses are still living below $1.what interest me in that dangote of a man is that he believes in Nigeria and thrives in nigeria

Every single person who is ripping off the state for their personal benefits will tell you they believe in Nigeria. Dangote thrives in a Nigeria where there is no real policy direction. In developed nations the rice industry would have been developed to enable us become rice-sufficient, rather they gave dangote the license to import everything from rice to toothpicks. Why wont he believe and thrive in Nigeria?
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by naijaking1: 8:06am On Jul 15, 2007
I still believe that Dangote, and co. offer naija a better alternative to having politicians stash our reserves in swiss banks.

However, they remain to naija, what the Rockefellas, and the the J.P Morgans were to the US in early 1900s, and what Yukos oil was to Russia in the 1990. History will tell.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by dblock(m): 8:10am On Jul 15, 2007
9ja4eva:

Dangote is nt richer dn Oprah

If Oprah is worth 1.5 Billion dollars, then Dangote is way richer than Oprah.

And there are 6 Other Africans richer than her.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by deor03(m): 8:08am On Jul 16, 2007
i am amazed by how deep the "westerners" have changed our thinking. We always see ourselves as" less than". What is bad in a RICH NIGERIAN BROTHER telling the whole world that he is worth than 1.5billion dollars.

CNN or BBC ( which i have personally stopped watching) might come out tomorrow to do a documentary on how "dangote robbed a bank " and we will believe hook line and sinker. Dangote is a fantastic business man who will take every opportunity that presents itself as an advantage. If we do not have a good tax system , it's to his advantage.
Besides who told you that DANGOTE does not pay taxes.

Please don't be brainwashed by WESTERNERs . THEY DON'T WANT ANY GOOD for us.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by ebos(m): 3:03pm On Jul 16, 2007
Did Westerners tell u that Dangote does not pay tax? We (Nigerians) said that Dangote does not pay tax except the money he spends on the powers that be to clear his way. Anytime there is something wrong with us, we start to call Westerners as if they are incharge of our country.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Axiomlogic(m): 12:22am On Jul 17, 2007
People forget things easily,Aliko started out as a cement and haulage truck business man in 1980 with 1 million naira which was £1million ,27 years later he built the biggest cement plant in the Africa with $ 1.9 billion,From 17 MB911 trucks in 1980 ,he has over 250 MACK trucks worth around 600 million dollars.This was a suger importer in 1997,in 1999 he built the largest the sugar refinery in Africa,we all both his shares when he sold 20 %.This is a man that employs in the region of about 7000 people directly and more indirectly more than some state governments.
This is the scion of the DANTATA Dynasty and when u take a bt groundnut pyramids in social studies,DANTATA was the Groundnut itself,so for his grand son to say he might be the richest black man is no understatement.
Some1 said he is ruthless,Oprah too was ruthless,ask those that knowshe is ruthless ,forget the glamour Miss goody two shoes u see on TV,how did HARPER became No1 in America.
Someone said he bought refinery for cheap , of what use is the refinery if it cant be dismantled and sold @ owode onirin,dem sell dem no sell Fuel price no come down so if dem like make dem sell.@ least we no dey hear of TAM worth millions of USD AGAIN.
Thank God say we still get DANGOTE,WE WOULD HAVE BEEN OVERRAN BY INDIA
idiot people wey dey complain abt dangote go eat agege bread in the morning made with dangote flour,drink coke mixed with dangote sugar,cook 4 nite with dangote salt,go party hassle 4 DANSA,rent HOUSE wey be say na DANGOTE CEMENT DEM TAKE BUILD AM N VERY SOON BEGIN USE DANGOTE PHONE.MAKE UNA NO THANK AM,
A man dat believes in AFRICA'S BIGGEST MARKET SHOULD BE AFRICA'RICHEST
up dangote up nigeria
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by honeric01(m): 1:01am On Jul 17, 2007
you said we live below $1? how much does your 5 years old brother,son,cousin or anyone of that age around you eat per meal in this Nigeria where food of 100 naira is like 20 naira of 1992? you better wake up and stop using that baseless fact to point out issues here, ! Cia agents has never gotten to a buker to eat or gone to the market to buy a cup of rice and kerosene before before they release the yeye ratings. even in naija delta where they claim there is much poverty, a sachet of pure water is with 10-30 naira and people buy it, so why do you say we live below $1 per day, you better stop that, or i will send 2 surajus to come eat up your store house
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Axiomlogic(m): 1:59am On Jul 17, 2007
person wey drink 4 bottles of star go claim say hin dey live under $1 ,na yeye people ful this nation

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Wrong Charges Made On My Account By FCMB / Can I Change My BVN Picture? / Can Same BVN Be Used For An Account Holder With Different Account Names?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.