Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,698 members, 7,889,222 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 05:54 AM

Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! (27865 Views)

Poll: Is Dangote really richer than Oprah Winfrey?

Yes: 57% (81 votes)
No: 42% (61 votes)
This poll has ended

Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. / Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! / Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by babadee(m): 5:49pm On Jul 09, 2007
who's richer?
Dangote or Oprah!!!
i don't give a rats ass because the answer will not get me a good job or put some quid in ma pocket.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by denex: 5:56pm On Jul 09, 2007
Some people have become so dipped in conspiracy they don't even want facts to emerge.

Dangote states a fact and people are asking him questions about the disappearance of groundnut pyramids, some are asking him why Nigeria is Nigeria, people are asking why there are no drugs in government hospitals.

Which kain country be this sef?
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by amaikama(m): 6:25pm On Jul 09, 2007
is it just by selling sparghitti etc that made him to say he is richer than Oprah? Dangote made his money through been a sleeping partner. if u study economics u know what am talking about, shares cannot make you that rich excerpt he has other dubios means in acquiring his wealth. i don't trust a Nigerian when it comes to wealth acqusation, they can do any thing for money. such person cannot be the richies man in Africa.

i really dont have any thing against him but he is a fool by saying that. why did he call opra's name? Oprah is African American and the society that she belong give no room to such childish talk. if he feels he want to compare himself with any body for that matter should be in his shore of domain not outside it. He is not even ashemd of himself boasting like a child. some one should tell him to keep quiet.

when mariam abacha said, "even if federal government seize all the money they had, they will still be richer than DANGOTE" nobody heard his voice. he was quiet like a church rat and now he is making mouth. that shows dangote is a pesant!!! he is just blofing. i tell you.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by BigB11(m): 6:33pm On Jul 09, 2007
You guys keep on twisting things around.

This move is nothing, but simply a business strategy.

You become more popular when you compare yourself to popular and important people.

As long as you can hold up to the competition, I truly do not see anything bad in this statement.
Do you think Oprah gives a sht?

Absolutely NO.
No need to disrespect the man; he's still one of the most important profitable asset in Nigeria today.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by BigB11(m): 6:36pm On Jul 09, 2007
Stop hating.

Haters do not prosper
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by easimoni(m): 6:36pm On Jul 09, 2007
@ amaikama,
Why the beef against Dangote? Oprah made her money by talking to people and is worth $1.5B as a result. Dangote made his money by starting a series of companies and watching them grow since the 70s into what they have become today. That is how every billionare in the world makes money: through shares, either in their own companies (Gates, Jobs, Ellison, Balmer, Slim and Oprah - owner of Harpo productions) or in other companies (Buffett). Shares are (directly or indirectly) the ONLY way you become rich. You clearly don't study markets or economics or understand how people make money. You simply sound like a typical bitter Nigerian. Why don't you buy shares into his companies instead and get a piece of the pie? Or raise money and go challenge him.

He is not bluffing (use spell check next time), he is not competing with Mariam (who is the one you should be bitter at), he is probably the richest self-made Nigerian and I wish him the best and hope he buys the rest of the Govt's ailing companies and turns them around.

That said; no need to invoke Oprah. He might have done so because she is the only black person on the list (I think). I'm interested to see what Forbes will say.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by champredd(m): 6:50pm On Jul 09, 2007
Nigerians must learn the art of constructive criticism.
Anyone who read his interview with The Sun will get the picture of what is going on in Nigeria concerning privatisation. Nobody complain about sale of National assets to foreigners at cheap prices (although most of them may be circumvented back to OBJ and cronies now that he's out of office), the fact remains we must open our eyes and see real things and not let hatred, tribalism and deception becloud our judgement.

Dangote has contributed his quota to the development of Nigeria, remember that He stayed out of Oil business till now. He's just trying to diversify and we should try to encourage people like him, because indigenous businesspeople, no matter how greedy they are, will consider the interest of the people more than outsiders and they will be easy to regulate than westerners whose govt always put pressure on ours on behalf of their businesses

On being the richest black person, it may be disputed, because with $400 billion estimated to be missing during military rule, I expect IBB, Abubakar and others to be billionaires, although they will never declare them, because they have no legitimate cover. But when they have passed on we may have an idea of their true worth, like Hariri of Lebanon who was valued at $4 billion all his life, after death his value suddenly jumped to $6 b.

Also, everybody seem to have forget that Andy Uba declared he was worth N1 Trillion (convert that to dollar and you will see).

Conclusion, there may billionaires (legitimate and illegitimate) in Nigeria. The Americans are only interested in promoting their own interest and people, I won't be surprised that the next Forbes magazine estimate will inflate Gate's worth so that Slim's worth will not overtake the former.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Ollie39: 7:02pm On Jul 09, 2007
So? Next!!!
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by easimoni(m): 7:04pm On Jul 09, 2007
@ champredd,
Nice post. You are correct in your observation about our still pervasive colonial mentality. It's okay to sell to Onyibos and Chinese at rock bottom prices. Let Dangote (honest or no) or Otedola buy and everybody throws up their arms. Meanwhile, the MTNs and Shells are shipping billions back to their home countries and won't list on our market so we can partake.

I suspect Dangote is trying to promote his brand even further beyond our shores and a listing on Forbes won't hurt!

People keep insinuating Dangote is not legit. Where is even a rumour of complicity in illegal business?
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by denex: 7:11pm On Jul 09, 2007
@amaikama

please if you don't know something, don't say you know.

There are 140million people using Dangote Sugar. Excluding industries. That is enough to make a man billions of Dollars.

He has 51% shares in Port Harcourt Refinery which in a good state of repair would be worth over $4billion. His share amounting to $2billion.

From his rice imports over decades, he would have been a billionaire. Not to now mention his spaghetti and Dansa Juice, Cement and flour.

It is Oprah Winfrey you should be asking what she does. Tell me amaikama, tell me what you know that Oprah does to fetch her $1.5 billion. You do not question her because she's African American. Shame on you.

Dangote has never been and will never be a nominal partner in any business. He is always the one running things. So just kill the sleeping partner story. The man hasn't even slept in months.

And you are claiming that in the society where Oprah's in, people don't compare there wealth to others by name, well go ask Donald Trump.

There are more than 10 Africans who are far richer than Oprah Winfrey, so forbes should stop lying to keep the American Dream flying. THEY SHOULD TELL THE TRUTH!

And you Nigerians asking side questions. SEEK THE TRUTH.

Who is the Richest "Black" Person in the world?

Oprah is no where near. Even Kase Lawal and Harry Akande who made their money too in America beat her hands down.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Oracle(m): 8:44pm On Jul 09, 2007
Good for him, but i think he should think more of his business than telling us about being richer or poorer than Oprah.
Everybody knows Dangote is rich and also Famous.
Every Nigerian must have heard the name Dangote at least once, although many don't know what he looks like

Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by justrest(m): 9:44pm On Jul 09, 2007
[b]Dangote was not asked any question whether he is the richest black man or not.Forbes magazine did not contact him,so there is no use saying what he said.It goes to say that what he is concerned about is how wealthy he his.Who cares how much Dangote is worth.And some said he was only stating the facts.For crying out loud he was never asked whether he was the richest or not.Look at the new richest man in the world Carlos Slim Helu from mexico,he discovered he was the richest man and what will he say,this is just paper.As in he doesnt send whether he is the richest or not.He is just doing his normal business.It is not about the the amount of money u have in your account but how many lives you have been able to affect and Transform.Do you know how many lives Oprah Winfrey has affected in her life time.The rich in nigeria only want to show off what they have.And it will not last.How many of u can remember the Rich Fool in the bible,he kept on Accumulating wealth for the sake of having plenty money and God knew his time was up,because a man who cannot distrubute his wealth by affecting peoples life is not fit to live.Because GIVING IS LIVING.[/b[color=Black][/color]
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Caradona(f): 9:55pm On Jul 09, 2007
@ TOPIC
My Grand-Father is richer than a Danfo driver, you don't hear him boasting about it
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by MP007(m): 10:00pm On Jul 09, 2007
he is an idiot, who cares, u claim to be the richest and ur fellow nigerians are swimming in poverty, comparing himself to ophra is blantant, he is simply a fool.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by miky(m): 10:02pm On Jul 09, 2007
dangote is richer, i suspect mike adenuga but for mike he probably had some shady dealings. anyway he is not boasting, and if it were so easy to be rich obasanjo and all the govnors should be claiming the list. he has done alot in reinvesting his money back into the economy, abi na food u na want. shhi cut him some slack.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by miky(m): 10:11pm On Jul 09, 2007
its a pity, but nigerians have a bit of jealousy when it comes to their own, its okay for oprah to be the richest but dangote with his numerous years in business, and products is not qualified. i mean am not surprised this is how we sold our brothers, right on target my bro. maybe una want make em feed u before u know he has contributed to society, by reducing the foreing exchange used to import una rice from china is not okay, but yet una dont support.haters

@amaikama

please if you don't know something, don't say you know.

There are 140million people using Dangote Sugar. Excluding industries. That is enough to make a man billions of Dollars.

He has 51% shares in Port Harcourt Refinery which in a good state of repair would be worth over $4billion. His share amounting to $2billion.

From his rice imports over decades, he would have been a billionaire. Not to now mention his spaghetti and Dansa Juice, Cement and flour.

It is Oprah Winfrey you should be asking what she does. Tell me amaikama, tell me what you know that Oprah does to fetch her $1.5 billion. You do not question her because she's African American. Shame on you.

Dangote has never been and will never be a nominal partner in any business. He is always the one running things. So just kill the sleeping partner story. The man hasn't even slept in months.

And you are claiming that in the society where Oprah's in, people don't compare there wealth to others by name, well go ask Donald Trump.

There are more than 10 Africans who are far richer than Oprah Winfrey, so forbes should stop lying to keep the American Dream flying. THEY SHOULD TELL THE TRUTH!

And you Nigerians asking side questions. SEEK THE TRUTH.

Who is the Richest "Black" Person in the world?

Oprah is no where near. Even Kase Lawal and Harry Akande who made their money too in America beat her hands down.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by easimoni(m): 10:36pm On Jul 09, 2007
MP007:

he is an idiot, who cares, u claim to be the richest and your fellow Nigerians are swimming in poverty, comparing himself to ophra is blantant, he is simply a fool.

And there are no poor people in Mexico or India? He boasted and that is wrong, but how much have all the other tycoons (incl. Slim) given back? Was it not just recently that Oprah built a school in S.A. and Gates & Buffet promised to give away their fortunes. What about the rest of them? Is setting up industries throughout your home country and listing on the stock exchange not in your country's interest?If you don't care, you would not post. You are simply bitter. Worry about your own money and how you'll account for it and stop hating on Dangote. Reserve your venom for people who have embezzled public funds for years.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by IykeD1(m): 10:42pm On Jul 09, 2007
Did some people even read the full article or they just felt like shooting off their
mouths? This guy is talking about granting share options to employees, making
millionaires out of employees, etc. isn't that worth recognizing about a Nigerian
employer? He is also talking openly about securing financing arrangements from
banks and the IFC, isn't that also worth noting too? Why will the IFC and banks
bother with him if they don't share his vision and ability to execute?

Oprah was a product of her environment - a society that loves TV, and therapy
talk (often meaningless). All this is neatly packaged and marketed to millions of
women especially day in and day out. Dangote on the other hand was raised by
a multi millionaire grand father, enjoyed the right political connections and made
billions out of it in a country where political connection was everything.

Did Dangote create the policies? Did he put a gun to the heads of the various
military governments to grant him certain concessions? Is it his fault that the
Abachas happen to be from Kano just like him and may still have been in awe
of his grand father, hence the ease of concessions?

Assuming that he was wrong by being in bed with the various governments,
can't one consider his latest strides to industrialize the country patriotic, its not
like he forgot how to import cement, fuel, or sugar, you know? Those of you
who can't stomach the fact that he bought the refineries, did you put in your
bids? Were your bids rejected? Did he alone decide to put up the refineries for
sale so that he can turn around and buy them himself?

Methinks by next year, the myth about Oprah being the richest black person will
be laid to rest -she is no where there at all (wake up call to our African American
sisters smiley )! Not that it matters, but I believe his name will make the list ahead of
Oprah next time courtesy of the public listing of Dangote Sugar and Flour (soon).
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by sniperwolf(m): 10:44pm On Jul 09, 2007
Talk show queen Vs PDP financial sponsor. Dangote should go and Bleep himself after all we know that the root of his wealth is fraud. He is not even worth being recognise by me
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by IykeD1(m): 11:01pm On Jul 09, 2007
@sniperwolf

talk show queen, enh? Anyway while you are wishing for Dangote to bleeping himself, make
ure you don't choke on that Dangote pasta or only use a few cubes of Dangote sugar if its
tea you are drinking. . . have you built your house yet, was it Dangote Cement you used?
While you are at it, get ready soon for Dangote Petrol smiley Now, who is bleeping who?
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by somebody(f): 11:09pm On Jul 09, 2007
Yaradua's daughter did not turn Dangote down, I believe there are two daughters in question. One of them married the kebbi state governor and the younger one married Dangote.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by egoldman(m): 11:13pm On Jul 09, 2007
u cant fight poverty with donations .
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by niniman(m): 11:21pm On Jul 09, 2007
if a magazine claims a thread (nairaland like) with about 80k members have the highest  number of membership in nigeria,is it wrong for Seun/Admin to say nairaland has more members(over 110k)?,do we then call it boasting?.
Dangote is just stating a fact;his business empire dates back to the 70s;he is not even claiming to be the richest in africa-so why the beef.

He has done his best by creating employmernt for many nigerians (someone said he underpaid his workers.at least they get job- you and i can emulate him to reduce unemployment in naija.u can overpay ur workers ni tie sha o.

No biz empire anywhere world in the can survive without govt support:let bill Gates go against US govt,see what will happen to him. what of Roman Abramnovic(apologies to chelsea fans) can he go against russian govt. GOING AGAINST GOVT IS LIKE COMMITING SUICIDE FOR ANY BIZMAN.

We should at least be proud of hardworking people like him who believes in nigeria (all/majority of his biz is in nigeria:he is hausa and his invesment is all over naija and concentrated in the north),and direct all our beef to the abachas,babangidas,obasanjos,harry akandes(yes-1m dollars for ibadan-ilorin road during shagari regime) of this world who stole from nigeria and did nothing to help the common man.

Lastly,don't beef,read/learn about successful people,apply the positives to ur life,drop their negative attributes.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by niniman(m): 11:38pm On Jul 09, 2007
@sniperwolf
ask nigerians 'who will like to meet Dangote?',half of nigeria population go raise hand.ask the same set of people who will like to meet you,hardly can you see 10,u wan know you ;so WHO THE Bleep ARE YOU to recognise Aliko DANGOTE.

Guy,u be mumu o,u use im sugar,bread(dangote flour),salt,pasta, cement , & NOW petrol,kerosine,diesel and u neva recognise him??how want come avoid him for ur life?
U BETA START SAVING NOW FOR HIS NEXT PUBLICOFFER
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by babadee(m): 12:55am On Jul 10, 2007
seems like we got 2 camps here, the Dangote supporters and the beef crew.
lol. typical naija style!
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by easimoni(m): 2:26am On Jul 10, 2007
Iyke-D:

@sniperwolf

talk show queen, enh? Anyway while you are wishing for Dangote to bleeping himself, make
ure you don't choke on that Dangote pasta or only use a few cubes of Dangote sugar if its
tea you are drinking. . . have you built your house yet, was it Dangote Cement you used?
While you are at it, get ready soon for Dangote Petrol smiley Now, who is bleeping who?

Profanity aside, this is the best post I've ever read on nairaland. Nice one. LOL!
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by SweetT1: 4:56am On Jul 10, 2007
@Topic

Forbes magazine rank people on their legitimate earnings and not ill-gotten money or stolen from the govt. Oprah came from nothing to make it to the top. She was given nothing by nobody nor stole nothing from any Govt. That idiot named Dangote has been in bed with the corrupt Nigerian Leaders for decades. He has the gut to boast about wealth when his own people in the north can't even put food on their table and swimming in ignorance ! HE IS A BIG FOLL !!!
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by adconline(m): 5:20am On Jul 10, 2007
Has Dangote heard of this Egyptian Telecom mogul Naguib Sawiris, the CEO of Orascom group. He is worth $10 billion and yet he does not go around seeking for attention. Your money and investment will surely find you out, not by underbidding and underpaying for refineries because of govt connections.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/10/07billionaires_Naguib-Sawiris_4MRK.html
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by adconline(m): 5:22am On Jul 10, 2007
Has Dangote heard of this  Egyptian Telecom mogul  Naguib Sawiris, the CEO of Orascom group. He is worth $10 billion  and yet he does not go around seeking for attention. Your money and investment will surely find  you out, not  by underbidding and underpaying for refineries because of govt connections.

Oprah is worth over $1.5 Billion = N200 Billion Naira. What's the market value of dangote company which Aliko partly owns? Did he calculate his loan portfolio as well. His biggest creditors Nexim and IFC are listening

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/10/07billionaires_Naguib-Sawiris_4MRK.html
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by frenchman(m): 8:08am On Jul 10, 2007
We all know that Dangote is very rich, but boast lies in the belly of fools. Mike Adenuga is richer than him, and he has never boasted about it.
M.K.O of blessed memory never boasted or compared himself with other people in terms of money.
If Dangote has truly made his money in an honest way,no thanks to OBJ, im sure he would not be boasting like this.
Carlos Slim overtook Bill Gates as the richest man in the world cos of the charity donations that he has been funding.
Mr Dangote, how much of your money has gone into charity? Fine, you have been employing nigerians, which is good, but at the same time it is a symbiotic relationship. It is not how rich you are that matters, but what you have done for humanity without expecting any gains therefrom.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by tkb417(m): 8:23am On Jul 10, 2007
To the man that said if u read economics we will understand what he said. Wat school did u go to? Who says u cant make such money buying shares. Olodo buruku. Warren Buffet and dem Bill gates multiplied what they had with equities they purchased and sold later on.

Dangote to me is a hero. hes employing thousands of 9ja people. Some of the haterz have got dem relatives working in his coys. If he decides to sack about 30,000 of his workforce. U know what that spells for the growing army of the unemployed in 9ja. For real, Dangote must have benefitted from our present and past rulers. Nothing is wrong seeking and soliciting for business opportunites. At least, hes a 9ja man. hes not a foreigner. Stop beefing and lets pray we get dia.
Cheers
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by boysteve1(m): 8:33am On Jul 10, 2007
easimoni:

And there are no poor people in Mexico or India? He boasted and that is wrong, but how much have all the other tycoons (incl. Slim) given back? Was it not just recently that Oprah built a school in S.A. and Gates & Buffet promised to give away their fortunes. What about the rest of them? Is setting up industries throughout your home country and listing on the stock exchange not in your country's interest?If you don't care, you would not post. You are simply bitter. Worry about your own money and how you'll account for it and stop hating on Dangote. Reserve your venom for people who have embezzled public funds for years.

Corect Guy, Oh Boy DANGOTE GET BARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Wrong Charges Made On My Account By FCMB / Can I Change My BVN Picture? / Can Same BVN Be Used For An Account Holder With Different Account Names?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.