Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,708 members, 7,889,243 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 06:38 AM

Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! (27870 Views)

Poll: Is Dangote really richer than Oprah Winfrey?

Yes: 57% (81 votes)
No: 42% (61 votes)
This poll has ended

Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. / Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! / Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by babasegun(m): 9:28pm On Jul 10, 2007
Dangote, i dont actually know the guy, but i think kase lawal is the richest man that ever came out of nigeria, he is the only nigerian that ever made forbes list, so if u are not on forbes list i dont reckon with you.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by IykeD1(m): 10:19pm On Jul 10, 2007
@babasegun

Dangote, i don't actually know the guy, but i think kase lawal is the richest man that ever came out of nigeria, he is the only nigerian that ever made forbes list, so if u are not on forbes list i don't reckon with you.

That sounds like ignorance to me, don you think? You should broaden your horizon a bit. . .
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by goodguy(m): 10:42pm On Jul 10, 2007
@ topic:

The way some people on this forum reason these days, is really alarming.  Alhaji Aliko Dangote was asked a simple question about his wealth, and if studied carefully, the response he gave was a very very humble one, but unfortunately, most people here have chosen to interprete it as otherwise, and even a few others have resorted to calling him names just for being rich? shocked  I'm not really surprised though, owing to the fact that Nigerians, generally, are known to be enemies of progress.

Let me just get one thing across to you all here.  It is not the responsibilty of any independently rich man in any country to put food on the table of the average citizen.  It is definitely not his responsibility to cater for the poor.  Catering for the poor is completely a voluntary action, and not something you're obligated to do once you're rich.  Aliko Dangote may not be as philantropic as his international counterparts, but he has definitely done more good than he would have, if all he has just been doing is "giving to the poor".

Remember the popular saying?  "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day.  But teach him how to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."  Dangote has been doing just the latter.

One more thing:  The real issue here is whether he's really worth more than $1.5bn (as in monetary evaluation, pecuniary analysis, etc), hence richer than Winfrey Oprah, and not whether he is kinder or nicer or more philantropic than Oprah.  Geddit? cool

Thank you.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jul 10, 2007
Ok, as much as I like Dangote, we should stop pulling up the quote "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. But teach him how to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime." in reference to Dangote. The man is doing the opposite, he is filling up his ponds with fish while poisoning the ponds other potential fishermen will depend on. He uses his Government connections to crush and stifle competition through hook or crook.

You can claim this is a smart business strategy but you cannot claim that he's teaching anyone how to fish.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by naijaking1: 11:44pm On Jul 10, 2007
@topic

Unbelievable, Dangote really boasting about his wealth, and comparing it to others in US and elsewhere?

Anybody ever told the man about the "lonely tree in the forest" analogy.  

What I mean is that 1$B owned by someone in the US, UK, or France is not the same 1$B owned by someone in naija, Ghana, or any developing country.

Depending on how you look at it this amount it could be more or less, depending on political, economic and infrastructural development level. In naija it is most likely less.

My dad once said that you need 10 mercedes cars in naija to equal the one in Atlanta or NYC. He meant the poor roads, maintance, lack of parts, etc, because if you're the only tree in the forest all the birds, animals, loggers go make you an easy target.

Dangote need to continue growing and stop comparing himself with Oprah!!
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jul 10, 2007
Thanks to Sheu Shagari and his destruction of the budding rice industry, nepotism and corruption, the likes of Aliko Dangote can now flaunt their ill-gotten wealth in our faces.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Nobody: 11:49pm On Jul 10, 2007
@naijaking1

Your dad is just trying to explain away why he cannot afford 10 Mercedes Benz cars!
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by naijaking1: 12:54am On Jul 11, 2007
@donzman

that's a good one, I could have used that joke on him.

In reality his point was well taken, because his car broke down in less than a year secondary to lack parts/qualified service people.

The analogy about a tree in the forest is always true
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by 9ja4eva: 1:14am On Jul 11, 2007
No cos Oprah worked for her money bt Dangote was favoured and besides he has back ups here and there.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by naijaking1: 1:16am On Jul 11, 2007
Comparing himself with Oprah is foooooolishhhh!

It's nauseating. I wish he never did.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by 9ja4eva: 1:18am On Jul 11, 2007
Very Very

Oprah no even know say he dey exist.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Nobody: 1:22am On Jul 11, 2007
9ja4eva:

No because Oprah worked for her money bt Dangote was favoured and besides he has back ups here and there.

I'm sure if Shagari had destroyed the budding rice market just for my sake and given me a license to import rice wholesale i'd be richer than Oprah too.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by 9ja4eva: 1:27am On Jul 11, 2007
LOL

I wonder oh.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by IykeD1(m): 4:21am On Jul 11, 2007
Yes - and Oprah pulled herself soley by her bootstraps. . . she never capitalized on an opening
or an opportunity offered by someone in a position of authority, just talk, talk and more talk and
here is a $1billion by the way for all the lies and deception.

So do we now blame Aliko Dangote for Shagari's decisions or that of the subsequent leaders?

And for the last time, Dangote was not comparing herself to Oprah - he was simply responding
to a question, is that so hard to grasp? I am sure even if his response was "I wont' answer that"
people will find a way to read meanings about his insecurities to that too.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by naijaking1: 4:41am On Jul 11, 2007
@Iyke-D

Are you trying to modify what the man said, why read into it, or make explanations for him.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by magnusU: 6:20am On Jul 11, 2007
AM NOT SUPRISED THAT DANGOTE MAY CLAIM TO WORTH OR RATHER RANGE HIMSELF WITH OPRAH WINFREY NO THANKS TO OUR GOVERNMENT THAT HAVE PLOYED WITH HIM IN SIPHONNING OUR NATIONAL RICHES.
IMAGINE HIS DEALS WITH THE OBASANJO GOVERNMENT, THE ACQUIRING OF THE PHC REFINERIES. CAN ALL HIS ASSETS BE SAID TO BE GENUINE? IF YES CAN HE BOOST OF ASSET DECLEARATION BEFORE NIGERIANS AND THE WORLD
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Bay1970(m): 6:32am On Jul 11, 2007
Forbes magazine will not consider Nigerians in their list because most rich Nigerians are criminals------------ aba ill- gotten riches
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by dblock(m): 7:37am On Jul 11, 2007
There is no evidence against Dangote.

Most of these envious people on Nairaland, probably just saw a picture of Dangote and Obasanjo, so they start saying that He got where he is today through shady deals.

Anyone idiot can sit by a computer saying that Slim Carlos, got where he is today, through ill gotten deals.

Until you have proof. and photos of OBJ and Dangote does not count as proof, quit your envious statements.

Keep doing you thing; Aliko.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Nobody: 7:59am On Jul 11, 2007
Dangote has a Foundation, just that he does not make much noise about it. It is committed to Fighting Malaria, HIV and AIDs, Infant and Maternal Mortality. They have project sites in Lokoja and Kastina. They are expanding their activities soon.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by champredd(m): 9:10am On Jul 11, 2007
naijaking1:

Comparing himself with Oprah is foooooolishhhh!

It's nauseating. I wish he never did.
Why not compare himself with Oprah. Although I respect Oprah, I've always disputed the fact that they are calling her the first black billionaire. America is always promoting their own people. And most rich Nigerians are cheerful giver no matter the source of their wealth or why did you think the gap between the rich and the poor is only expanding during OBJ years.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Echidime(m): 9:18am On Jul 11, 2007
Opray thinks that opening a nursery school in South Africa is something extraordinary,something that one musician in Ajegunle can do without making noise about it,she may be the richest black person in America and south Africa, but definitly not amoung the most populous black nation in thte world Nigeria.

Dangote has upto 3 000 000 people working in his company and earning their lives,creating employment to people what has Opray done even among her fellow blacks in the states?

Wealth is not to be busted about but if it is to be Dangote is 100% richer than Opray,infact Dangote is the third riches man in the world not just among the black race but in the entire world after Bill gate and King fad.

So opray should stop busting and tell those propaganda american journalist to stop rating her high cos she has not seen wealth.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by angel101(f): 9:42am On Jul 11, 2007
una too funny o
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by agee: 9:48am On Jul 11, 2007
am sending you a link that explains Clubfreedom Marketing Plan, so you can understand the simple way to make and invest your money that you earn as a staff.

http://www.clubfreedom.biz/?page=program&sponsor=merrymee2002&lang=en

get registered on this link:

www.clubfreedom.biz/clubfreedom2007 click on signup to get registered at once and give me a call as soon as u can

you dont need to think of pensions or anything

your can earn $8000 monthly that is 12000000naira monthly and invest it in shares by registering with just 33000 naira

follow the link www. club freedom. biz/ clubfreedom2007 to get registered

this is not fraud or scamm it is real my friends

i wish u good luck

this is just for the bold not the doubting thomasssesss

nice day
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by naijaking1: 9:57am On Jul 11, 2007
We' re talking about Dangote and Oprah, where did all this HyIP come from?
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by ebos(m): 10:04am On Jul 11, 2007
Here we are praising a man who is accumulating selfish wealth at the expense of Nigerians. You think he is the only person that has investments in Nigeria, so, why must every government encourage him and leaves others? Dangote is a man of give and take within those in authority. He keeps on investing and every kobo going to his packet, and we say he's creating employment. I can create such employment if given the same privilege. The less privileged are they not human beings? Let him create employments for them or at least remember them for something. There are many potential businessmen in Nigeria today but the government do not want these people to come up. Upon all his wealth, we still have more poor people in his region. Is that wealth? A MAN WHO IS COMFORTABLE WITH EVERY GOVERNMENT even if the poor are dying in thousands.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by naijaking1: 10:15am On Jul 11, 2007
@Champradd

Many reasons not to compare Dangote with Oprah:

1. Oprah is entirely new money, ie not a kobo came from her ancestors, not Dangote
2. Oprah is a talented entertainer, Dangote maybe too, but not at the same level
3. Oprah's primary business is entertainment, why Dangote is industries.
4. Oprah is unto services, why Dangote is unto production
5. Oprah is making her money despite competitors like Maury, Stringer, etc, while Dangote's competitors like Ibeto were eliminated by OBJ
6. Oprah is just a "poor" woman, while Dangote is from a noble family and should be trying to compare himself with other men from a similar background.
7. Government does not support Oprah, while Dangote's association with government is not deniable

There are other reasons why Dangote should not compare himself or his wealth with Oprah. He needs to make about x10-x20 what she makes to enjoy the comfort level and respect she enjoys.  

Dangote should stop wasting time trying to be better than Oprah, he should make more money for himself and his people, allow competition, and open up more markets.

If he works hard, he may be to naija what Rockefella and J.P Morgan were to America in the early 1900s.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by champredd(m): 10:20am On Jul 11, 2007
naijaking1:

If he works hard, he may be to naija what Rockefella and J.P Morgan were to America in the early 1900s.
He's already that and only building on the foundation he's already laid. He invested heavily throughout the military era, without benefiting much from them.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by naijaking1: 10:29am On Jul 11, 2007
I don't think you fully understand what I mean by "being to naija what Rockefella, and J.P Morgan were to US"
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by champredd(m): 10:33am On Jul 11, 2007
Like invent something, new biz idea, whatever, given the atmosphere he and others like his will exceed 'em.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by naijaking1: 10:52am On Jul 11, 2007
Not quite so bro.

Business ideas maybe, but not inventing anything.

You know history repeats itself, that's why I made the association, and that's why I'm happy that there are naija billioniares today, and not people just stealing money and dumping them into Swiss banks.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by angel101(f): 11:34am On Jul 11, 2007
champredd:

He's already that and only building on the foundation he's already laid. He invested heavily throughout the military era, without benefiting much from them.

He was the sole importer of sugar in the military era.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Wrong Charges Made On My Account By FCMB / Can I Change My BVN Picture? / Can Same BVN Be Used For An Account Holder With Different Account Names?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.