Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,674 members, 7,918,150 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 12:18 AM

Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! (27925 Views)

Poll: Is Dangote really richer than Oprah Winfrey?

Yes: 57% (81 votes)
No: 42% (61 votes)
This poll has ended

Folorunsho Alakija Unseats Oprah As Richest Black Woman. / Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! / Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by honeric01(m): 2:24am On Jul 17, 2007
dangote's trucks dey too much to the extent that they are now being used as a commercial transport avenue lol, oprah with all her plastic breast, face, butt and even eyeballs, i hope Dangote will use his money to save many mollas still drinking KOKO all day long
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by baby1402(f): 6:27am On Jul 17, 2007
ah ah! all this bickering and hatred? just for a man who is who has and still ia working his arse off to make it in this world of human race. What do u haters want him to do? relax and squander what he has made, and then start again? He knows no one will give him the chance. but i thought we were only discussing a one of the topics on this site, about organizations not giving some the chance to apply for jobs with them? Is that not enough for us to know that we have to struggle to survive or make it in this world. the guy is only doing what some are doing and a lot would love to do, so jut because God has decided to put him amongst the lucky few does not mak him out to be all that a lot of u have been saying. How would u feel if u were in his shoes and others were saying all those bad things and more, about u, without truly knowing the real u? if he has transgressed against his people, then let God be the judge of that, the lord has not appointed anyone of us to do His work for Him, so let God be the judge of his character. All i know is that, at least the guy has tried in giving a good image to the country when it comes to business, and has shown the world that Nigerians are and can be intelligent people if and when given the chance to prove themselves, and that one does not have to be educated in the highest order to make it successfully.

The guy never even finished secondary school the time he ventured into business, he may have in the later years gone back to school to complement his image as a power broker, who robs shoulders with the rich and powerful ones of the world. We all would love to have what he has if we are to be honest with ourselves, the only difference would be that we all would decide to do what we want with our wealth, after all he suffered hard to get to where he is today. Wo amongst u wouldnt want to be rich? u must be joking or crazy to say u dont, or u have a complex for the rich, cos God has not decided to bless u with those riches.

And as for the guy who said "What is the north contributing to the backbone of the Nigerian economy when crude oil accounts for 95% of the revenue?" How old are u men? U havent been reading ur Nigerian history. before the country started getting its wealth from oil, it was getting it from groundnut and cotton, and it was with this same wealth from the north that was used to build up the first set of refineries in the niger delta. So, tell me, if the north had not done so much in working their arses off to make so much money fo r the country, where would the refineries be today that even so much blood is being shed because of the oil? Have u ever heard of the north fighting the government to get a share of what they were making for the country, and involving innocent citizens, when they were growing groundnuts and cotton. if only they had, they would be better off than they are now, and that money would have been used to educate their children to become what u think the north does not have, that is Drs, engineers and so on.

we should be proud that we are nigerians and make efforts to see how we can make our country great and a better place for our peopl to live in, in peace and harmony, and in abundance of the natural resources God has blessed us with, and not hate or put down ourselves. that is why america and the rest of the worl just rubish us and have no respect for ur, because we cant even do a better job than them, of taking care of ourselves morally and socially as well as economically and politically.

PEACE!!!!!

wink
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by ebos(m): 9:45am On Jul 17, 2007
I can now see the way of thinking of most Nigerians. It's a pity that some Nigerians still doubt that most people here live below $1, simply because some Nigerians are taking bottles of star everyday. These people with their shallow thinking are the likes of Obasanjo. The fact that some Nigerians drink star everyday does not necessarily mean all Nigerians can afford it. There are those that can hardly afford a meal, even some cannot afford N10 to buy a sachet of pure water. Make out time and visit those around you and see your fellow human beings suffering. That is why I laugh when some said that Nigerians are benefiting from Dangote’s companies either by way of securing jobs or buying of shares, as if everybody can afford the money to buy his shares. Let us reason like normal human beings and stop thinking as if there are no poor people in our midst whom Dangote can help. Again, those who make the statement that you cannot fight poverty by donations are looking for a way to justify their stinginess. The less privileged who nobody trained cannot be employed by Dangote and they need help. The orphans need to eat, catered for and have right to education. So, you don’t expect those children to work in Dangote’s companies or buy shares from there. I have visited many orphanage homes other less privileged when I was in the Seminary and saw things by myself. These people are crying and need those they will call mothers or who will show them love. Dangote should stop acquiring selfish wealth and use what he has made through the grace of God and help those whom God will use to condemn him if he fail to reach out to these people.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by anajemba(m): 11:24am On Jul 17, 2007
I will like  anybody who want to rate Dangote and Oprah to first ask Forbis how they do their rating. I think Dangote

should have first ask forbis how the rating thing is being done before boasting. he should also know that Forbis rated 

Mobutu Sese seko 5 billion us dollars worth, but still never rated him among the richest black.

Even Mohamed Suharto of Indonesia was rated 35 billion us dollar worth, but still not among world  richest 100 people.

For me, I think Oprah is richer than Dangote.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by angel101(f): 11:35am On Jul 17, 2007
anajemba:

For me, I think Oprah is richer than Dangote.

At least in humanity
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by snowball(f): 12:50pm On Jul 17, 2007
how can dangote even dream of comparing himself with oprah.duhhh, oprah is the richest black woman in america shocked shocked shocked
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by ernal(m): 11:37pm On Jul 17, 2007
Can someone tell Mr Dangote to grow up, all we have in Nigeria are so called loyalties Rich men,not a single wealthy man,they only brag and brag, can he really tell us he is an ICON,oprah is an ICON forsure.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by honeric01(m): 11:50pm On Jul 17, 2007
ernal:

Can someone tell Mr Dangote to grow up, all we have in Nigeria are so called loyalties Rich men,not a single wealthy man,they only brag and brag, can he really tell us he is an ICON,oprah is an ICON forsure.
well i think he is an ICON to all his staffs, they like him (his money and opportunities)and that's why they are still working with him,
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by bricks(m): 1:09am On Jul 18, 2007
How can he come out tom say such bul sh********t angry angrydoes he pay the kind of tax Oprah pays?he should mention any charitable thing he has substantially given himself to & am not talking about donating peanuts to hospitals & schools.Why wont he say hes rich?when he has tha highest favour from the government?the sole importer of sugar ?and other various undue economic advantages given to him?
Only in naija will you hear things such as this that can make you go ballistic angry angry i ndont want to go further cos i may just start cursing him out*$*
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by honeric01(m): 6:54am On Jul 18, 2007
you are entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't mean he is going to be poor, maybe he's into charity which you don't know or do you follow him here and there?
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by dblock(m): 7:51am On Jul 18, 2007
If Oprah is worth 1.5 Billion as he stated, then I see no reason why he shouldn't compare himself to her. Because he has been projected to be worth between 4 Billion dollars and 10 Billion Dollars.

His statement should not be taken out of context. He made the statement, in regards to Forbes refusal to rate the wealth of himself and other Africans.

If that is egocentric, then we are all Egocentric and thus we would all be hypocritical to judge him.

Like it says in the good book, whosoever is free of sin should cast the first stone.

His statement wasn't a boast, it was a wail. It was the wail of the Marginalized black Race.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by honeric01(m): 8:54am On Jul 18, 2007
I wonder o
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by ebos(m): 9:12am On Jul 18, 2007
He was not boasting? Then, wailing for what? That Oprah is the richest is another marginalisation to the Black race. Oh! Dangote could wail against marginalisation because of the rating that removes nothing from the Black race, but cannot wail against series of bad regimes in Nigeria or any other injustice that have sent many to their untimely graves? Don't know that Dangote could be that nice! But, I was thought that charity begins at home, but it does not stop there.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by zaksman(m): 10:51am On Jul 18, 2007
This guy Dangote is worth morethan u can immagine. The guy is planning
to buy the whole of Nigeria and some parts of west Africa. They said the journey
of 1000 miles begins with a step. I tell u this guy had started making that step
already. Watch him out from now to the next 2 or 3 years to come. to remind u,
there is Dangote sugar,scement,supperghetti,macaroni,salt,rice,semo,refineries
and above all, there is Dangote Nigerian government.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by zaksman(m): 11:01am On Jul 18, 2007
Dangote is worth morethan yuo can immagine. This guy is planning to buy t
he whole the Nigeria and even some part of Africa. They said the journey of
1000 miles begin with a step and the guy has started that journey already.
in 2 or 3 years time to come,this very statement i'm making will be justifiable.
Watch out for him. He might worth much more than Operah.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by dblock(m): 6:09am On Jul 19, 2007
Dangote Finances PDP.

Dangonte= Nigeria
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by magneto(m): 9:11am On Jul 19, 2007
Jesus Christ of Nazareth!!!! . . . bad belle people plenty for this site o!!! shocked shocked

wetin Dangote do una sef? can't u hustle ur own? if he has the government in his pocket, what stops u from doing likewise?! whether he goes into charity or not, is his own prerogative and nobody's damn business!!!
the man has tried in the provision of thousands of jobs and in the 'gradual' improvement of our economy (of which he clearly intends to do more). . . what more do u want from him again, to put food in your mouth?!
please stop all this hating. . . it's absolutely disgusting!!! angry angry
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by numbers: 10:45am On Jul 19, 2007
magneto:

Jesus Christ of Nazareth!!!! . . . bad belle people plenty for this site o!!! shocked shocked
wetin Dangote do una sef? can't u hustle your own? if he has the government in his pocket, what stops u from doing likewise?! whether he goes into charity or not, is his own prerogative and nobody's damn business!!!
the man has tried in the provision of thousands of jobs and in the 'gradual' improvement of our economy (of which he clearly intends to do more). . . what more do u want from him again, to put food in your mouth?!
please stop all this hating. . . it's absolutely disgusting!!! angry angry

very well said, where were thier fathers when he was putting the government officials in his pocket.If you don't appreciate success then you would'nt achieve it.
which of us is without blemish?
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by angel101(f): 1:37pm On Jul 19, 2007
honeric01:

well i think he is an ICON to all his staffs, they like him (his money and opportunities)and that's why they are still working with him,

They don't have much of a choice do they?

magneto:

the man has tried in the provision of thousands of jobs

Maybe we should check their working conditions before u go blowing the trumpet.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by egin(m): 2:05am On Jul 20, 2007
Check this out and make your judgment.

ICPC Interogates Custom Boss Over N50 Billion Annual Loss , Dangote, Otedola, Turaki, Duke, Daniel Fingered 

The comptroller General of Nigerian Customs Services, Mr. Jacob Gyang Buba is presently being investigated by the independent Corrupt Practices Commission, ICPC in connection with an annual loss of N50 Billion in respect of the importation tariff waiver introduced by the Government of President Olusegun Obasanjo.

Pointblanknews.com learnt during the week that Mr. Buba has been a regular caller at the Abuja headquarters offices of the ICPC where he has facing intense interrogation within that last few weeks over repeated annual loss of about N50 Billion within the last eight years. The duty/tariff waiver was introduced by ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo purportedly to serve as a stimulant for importation business within the Nigerian economy. Already the rippling is effect of the comptroller General’s confessions to the ICPC is being strongly felt by corporate Nigeria. It is believed that the useful statement that was given to the ICPC and the threat by the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC to expose Aliko Dangote maybe part of the reason why Alhaji Dangote of Dangote Group and Blue star Consortium made a volte-face over his interest in the purchase on his interest to buy the Kaduna and Port- Harcourt refineries aside the threat from Labor Union. Dangote among other powerful Nigerians was singularly alleged to have reaped a windfall of over N40 Billion from the so-called regime of waiver.

Other Nigerians who were said to have benefited from the waiver deal include such politicians and investors as Dangote, ex-Governors Saminu Turaki, Donald Duke, Governor Gbenga Daniel and Femi Otedola. Dangote was said to have been terribly disturbed by the gravity of the disclosure of his centrality to the whole deal that he had to hurriedly announce his interest in the Kaduna and Port-Harcourt refineries in order to maintain a low public profile both the media and the generality of Nigerians.

advertisement

Apart from the statement made to the ICPC by the Customs Comptroller General,[b] Dangote has a lot of things to worry about in the way he is being “regularly accused” of conniving with political office holders to literarily cream off the Nigerian economy by way of questionable concession often made to him by successive administration. Dangote has been a big campaign donor for many politician including ex-president Obasanjo and several Governors and Lawmakers. He reportedly gave close to a Billion naira for Obasanjo for president campaign in 1999 and 2003. More disturbing was the disclosure that he alone benefited over N40 Billion from the concession granted him to import sundry commodities into Nigeria. It was said that he enjoyed such concession because he had powerful political connection. His gains constitute terrible pain to the Nigerian economy. He was said to have bought a private Bombardier Challenger 300 Jet with registration number 3B-SSD which was registered in Mauritius and delivered through Ireland in June 2007 which he allegedly gave to ex-President Obasanjo to show gratitude. Obasanjo was said to have used Dangote as a front when he sold him a liquidated Federal Jet for an undisclosed amount. The said Jet bought from the Nigerian government is now the second in the fleet of Obasanjo’s private plane; Dangote is said to have since handed the plane back to the man who kept the plane with him in trust.[/b]

Dangote is a man who is fighting in several theaters of war. His recent allegations that the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC is a beehive of corrupt practices has drawn the anger of NNPC top level executives who in turn are said to be spoiling for a no-hold-bared disclosure of all the under-table intrigue that led to the doubtful emergence of Dangote as the leading bidder in the privatization of the petroleum refineries in both Kaduna and Port-Harcourt. With the on-going interrogation of the Nigerian Customs czar, Dangote is said to be simply sick and tired of being incessantly accused of dominating the Nigerian business space using unscrupulous means.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by honeric01(m): 2:44am On Jul 20, 2007
well wetin i go talk than to say, Na God go open the yash of all the people wey dey eat our money, Dangote, well i don't know what to say about him, right now, he has backed out from buying those refineries
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by magneto(m): 9:08am On Jul 20, 2007
angel101:

They don't have much of a choice do they?

Maybe we should check their working conditions before u go blowing the trumpet.

listen to yourself girl!. . . would you rather they had no jobs at all?? do you know what it's like getting a job in Naija for most graduates?? jeez!!

@egin

first of all your story has no source, and besides that even if it were true. . . i personally don't think Dangote should be on the slaughter table here! he's just doing what every smart business man will do, ie  getting cosy with government (for waivers and concessions obviously). he didn't make those waivers, Obasanjo did! . . . and that he benefitted from such waivers directly should be of no consequence "legally"!

just hand it to him, the man is a damn good business man!! cool

btw- besides this has nothing to do with him contributing to the economic improvement, or provision of jobs. . . or even forbes rating for that matter! grin
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by Matured26(m): 2:02pm On Jul 20, 2007
Whether we like it or not,
All boils down to the rule of nature that if u don't blow ur trumpet, no one will.
But it did not have to go that far?
Orprah never begged to be rated and so why is Dangote begging.

Can I ask you all a question:
What is the true measurement of riches?
How many lives have Dangote touched with his so called wealth and how many has Orprah touched.
Based on this, I hereby submit that Orprah is far richer 'cos she's made so many people smile.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by uchetobi(f): 3:37pm On Jul 20, 2007
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/dangote-story.htm

all haters should check that link. An interview with SUN newspaper today
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by viceb: 4:48pm On Jul 20, 2007
I accept the fact that Dangote may be the richest man in Africa but he is a ganster business man who does not accept a healthy business competition. It is alleged that he is the brain behind the clamping down on some big time business men like IBETO of Nnewi and the destruction of the good name of Indomie.

If any nairalander is his friend, he should be asked to accept healthy competition as that will leave Nigeria more industrialised and Nigerians will have more job opportunities. He must not dominate in every field.

He is greedy!
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by 9ja4eva: 10:06pm On Jul 21, 2007
I second
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by dashkk(m): 3:05pm On Jul 22, 2007
dont said he did not worth anything!!! aleast #300million enter his account everyday from sugar only.i think he worth something.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by naijaking1: 4:05pm On Jul 22, 2007
http://www.leadershipnigeria.com/product_info.php?products_id=9603

Until the above article, I was always happy and excited for having potential world class billionaires like Dangote in Nigeria.

Monopoly, monopoly, that is an economic crime
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by ebos(m): 8:29am On Jul 23, 2007
@ naijaking - Thank you for this leadership Nigeria Source. Let me post it here for the fans of the so-called Dangote to read. They are in Nigeria clap for a a greedy Dangote without knowing the secret of his wealth.

The monopoly enjoyed by Aliko Dangote in the cement business has suffered a major set back with the reopening of the Ibeto Cement in Port Harcourt. President Umar Yar’Adua gave directives that the company, closed down during the Obasanjo era, be reopened for businesses. He did this on the day he revoked the sale of the Kaduna and Port Harcourt refineries last week.

Ibeto Cement is owned by Chief Cletus Ibeto, an apolitical business man who has excelled as an entrepreneur. Said to be uninterested in politics, Ibeto built the company from scratch, turning it into a conglomerate. The company was into bulk bagging of cement and it was doing business at a cheaper price.

This was said to have irked Dangote who enjoys a certain level of monopoly in the sector.
Dangote knew exactly what to do. He went to his powerful friend, Obasanjo who was the nation’s leader at the time and complained about the challenge posed by Ibeto Cement. According to sources, Dangote told Obasanjo that: "This man might run us out of business."

To arrest the situation, Obasanjo contrived a new law which stipulates that unless you own a cement milling plant, you can not engage in the business of bagging bulk cement.
His new policy automatically ran Ibeto aground and he was forced to close shop, thus rendering thousand of workers jobless.

His attempt at starting a milling plant in Ebonyi State ran into a brick wall as the president ignored Ibeto application to this effect. The plant remained shut through out the regime of President Obasanjo.

Reprieve however came the way of Chief Ibeto last week, when President Yar’Adua announced the revocation of the sale of refineries last week. With the pronouncement also came the order that Ibeto Cement should reopen.
Dangote’s monopoly in the Nigeria’s business landscape has come under heavy scrutiny by the new administration. Although favoured by the Obasanjo’s regime, Yar’Adua has distanced himself and the new administration from the fraudulent acquisition by the business mogul.

In a recent interview, Dangote said it amounted to a "suicide" when a business man choose to fight a government. According to him, this explains why he kow tow to any regime in power.
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by ebos(m): 8:31am On Jul 23, 2007
http://www.leadershipnigeria.com/product_info.php?products_id=9603

This is the source of the above story. Naijaking thanks a lot
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by uchetobi(f): 10:09am On Jul 23, 2007
Wat has Dangote gat to do with this This is just a tribalism and an anti – obasanjo write up
Re: Dangote: I'm Worth Much More Than Oprah Winfrey! by naijaking1: 9:12pm On Jul 23, 2007
@uchetobi

Not right to brand anyone questioning Dangote's assertion as "haters"

uchetobi:

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/dangote-story.htm

all haters should check that link. An interview with SUN newspaper today

Quite interestingly, you want us to swallow a very positive article on OBJ and Dangote, but you have the guts to ask:
uchetobi:

What has Dangote got to do with this This is just a tribalism and an anti – obasanjo write up

You either lack objectivity or think that we do.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What Dropshiping Is And How you can make huge profit / Mini Importation Business, Am I Going Crazy Or What? / CBN Orders DMBs To Sell FOREX To Customers

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.