Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,233 members, 7,943,430 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 03:11 PM

Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? (13873 Views)

May The Gods Protect Our President Elect Who Is In UK (enemy Territory) / APC, Buhari Should Withdraw From Presidential Race - Fayose / Certificate Saga: Withdraw From Presidential Race, PDP Tells Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by T9ksy(m): 11:37pm On Apr 21, 2011
ekt_bear:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Southern Nigeria may will definately further divide. But it seems to me that that is Step Z. Step A seems to be deciding whether you want to continue living in the same country as the core North. Most of ya'll seem to agree that separation would be good.

Abegi, my brother, let's say it as it is jo and damn whose ox is gored.
Do you for a minute believe the yorubas wants to share nationality with igbos who have called us all sorts of unprintable names?
And what was our crime? Because we refused to be colonised by their monkey-looking of a leader.

In the 40's, under the premise of one nigeria, the igbos were ready to fight the yorubas to a standstill over Lagos.
Soon after independence and as a consequence of their arse-licking of mallam's dirty yansh, the igbos marginalised yorubas even on your yoruba soil.
Soon after the civil war commenced, Ojukwu tried to colonise us under the pretext he's coming to liberate us.
And because we didn't fall for his gameplan, the igbos have called us names like "cowards", "back-stabbers", "unreliable", "all-mouth-and-no-action peps" ati bebelo (etc etc).
Hell no, when this dumb contraption split, it splits into its various components.
East for the igbos and west for the yorubas. whoever is landlocked-tough luck.

Like someone mentioned earlier on another thread, yorubas and igbos are like oil and water.
we can never co-habit.
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by ayomifull(f): 11:44pm On Apr 21, 2011
asdan:

Those calling for the splitting on Nigeria are just misguided,brainwashed and unpatriotic Nigerians who don't appreciate our coexistence.The south can not do without the North likewise the North.I was born in the South and i have seen many [b]conflicts amongst the southerners they do kill too,is not a Northern thing.[/b]Until the religious bigot are stoped from preaching hatred in the Mosque and the churches there is no way we can have a lasting peace in Nigeria .

are u serious about the bolded? how many corpers has been killed in the south and east? How many ppl has been killed because someone tore a page of the bible? how many mosques and churches has been burnt?

I have several friends in the south and eastern part of the country they are all still alive, the only one friend i had in the north was killed in one of the religious unrests. what exactly do you mean by 'is not a northern thing'?
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by ektbear: 11:46pm On Apr 21, 2011
iwonbaoko:

that is your own formulation of the problem.there are many others.
like i said  earlier  if igbos want to be with the onye ofe manu they must learn how  to respect big bros (de) and desist from gratuitous prick comparisons .we are africans after all cheesy

I just figure that our common interest aligns for now. We can then sort out where it doesn't align later. It may turn out that the day the south secedes from Nigeria, the next day the SW secedes from the south. But it seems to me even if this is the outcome you want, then you should still cooperate.

This is just my opinion, though.

@T9ksy: The past is the past, talk is cheap, I don't really care too much about insults. I don't want to use emotion to make decisions. . . I prefer to make them as coldly and rationally as possible. Truth be told, I don't even care whether SW and SE are in the same country or not. What is more important/relevant is, is the SW in the same country as the SS. That is what will ultimately impact the bottom line. Whether SE is with us or not will not improve or worsen our finances. Same is not true for the SS.

I hope you kind of see what I'm saying?
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by tyson55(m): 11:48pm On Apr 21, 2011
@coldhearts- Talking about toning down, i think your response to the dude was polite. Knowing how Nl's can throw insults on trival issues. So come to our subject matter, what you saying in essence is that, we should continue to live together in the entity called Nigeria whether good or bad? But for how long can we remain as a union in the face of deep mistrust and intolerance between the north and south? I bet you, this is not the last we would see of this dispecable and sensless killing from the north.
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by ektbear: 11:56pm On Apr 21, 2011
^-- I doubt we've even seen the worst for this week. What happens after Friday prayers tomorrow?
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by Rossikk(m): 11:58pm On Apr 21, 2011
^^ After Friday prayers tomorrow, if the almajiris try anything stu.pid, they will be mowed down by federal troops.

President Jonathan has vowed to use ''justifiable force'' to protect the lives of all Nigerians, and I believe him.
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by mensdept: 11:59pm On Apr 21, 2011
T9ksy:

Abegi, my brother, let's say it as it is jo and damn whose ox is gored.
Do you for a minute believe the yorubas wants to share nationality with igbos who have called us all sorts of unprintable names?
And what was our crime? Because we refused to be colonised by their monkey-looking of a leader.

In the 40's, under the premise of one nigeria, the igbos were ready to fight the yorubas to a standstill over Lagos.
Soon after independence and as a consequence of their arse-licking of mallam's dirty yansh, the igbos marginalised yorubas even on your yoruba soil.
Soon after the civil war commenced, Ojukwu tried to colonise us under the pretext he's coming to liberate us.
And because we didn't fall for his gameplan, the igbos have called us names like "cowards", "back-stabbers", "unreliable", "all-mouth-and-no-action peps" ati bebelo (etc etc).
Hell no, when this dumb contraption split, it splits into its various components.
East for the igbos and west for the yorubas. whoever is landlocked-tough luck.

Like someone mentioned earlier on another thread, yorubas and igbos are like oil and water.
we can never co-habit.

Most Yoruba today actually regret that their leaders did not choose a better route 40 years ago. Are Yoruba not suffering the same thing Igbo and Efik folks are suffering today?  Have you been to Ibadan? Many of those roads havent been upgraded since Awo's time, and fake pastors are as plentiful as those in Warri.

So the labeling of Yoruba as cowards and all-mouth-and -no-action historically is legit, though the Yoruba of today, and a section of their leadership, is just as courageous, serious, and war-like as other southerners, and as a result, Southern rule and limited development as oppossed to 419, Hajj,  military decree, and nonsense.
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by ektbear: 12:01am On Apr 22, 2011
mens dept:

So the labeling of Yoruba as cowards and all-mouth-and -no-action historically is legit, though the Yoruba of today, and a section of their leadership, is just as courageous, serous, and war-like as other southernors, and as a result, Southern rule and limited development as oppossed to 419, Hajj,  military decree, and nonsense.
Without trying to derail the thread, this I disagree with. How do you resist or kick out a Hausa army already in your land, when you don't have one of your own? I don't see how it is possible without enormous loss of life. . . possibly genocide.

Or what would you have done if you were in their boots at that time?

The mistake we made was not joining the army in large #s in the 40s and 50s. I think Awolowo tried to rectify this (I guess he was locked up for treason for trying to secretly train an army of some sort? ), but I'm not sure what else could have been done.
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by Nobody: 12:02am On Apr 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

I just figure that our common interest aligns for now. We can then sort out where it doesn't align later. It may turn out that the day the south secedes from Nigeria, the next day the SW secedes from the south. But it seems to me even if this is the outcome you want, then you should still cooperate.

This is just my opinion, though.

@T9ksy: The past is the past, talk is cheap, I don't really care too much about insults. I don't want to use emotion to make decisions. . . I prefer to make them as coldly and rationally as possible. Truth be told, I don't even care whether SW and SE are in the same country or not. What is more important/relevant is, is the SW in the same country as the SS. That is what will ultimately impact the bottom line. Whether SE is with us or not will not improve or worsen our finances. Same is not true for the SS.

i believe  you are aware that  adolf hitler  is from  what is now austria in other words austria and germany as we know it together constitute deutschland.afterworld war two the powers that be decided they did not want such a large powerful nation in europe. that is the realpolitik of nigeria.
no one will allow the SS/SE to remain as one nation even if the SS want it unlikely as that is.
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by Desola(f): 12:03am On Apr 22, 2011
Stop all these nonsense about the union of the Southerners, please! Who are the Southerners, anyway? Yorubas are westerners and no, we have nothing in common with the Igbos. I would rather stick with a Yoruba from Benin republic than to be in a union with an Igbo man. Wetin sef? These people can't stand Yoruba but to secede on their own, they can't. Why drag Yorubas into this? Na una brothers dem dey massacre in the North and not Yorubas, abeg. Yorubas no dey find money go death land, we are content group of people and we don't brag in the faces of our host so stop this emotional blackmail by claiming that Yorubas are also been killed, it's your people that are being killed. Abeg don't drag us into your murky waters.

Deal with your problems and when it's right for us, we would pull out of Nigeria.
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by T9ksy(m): 12:08am On Apr 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

And what makes you think the SS wants to be in the same country as either the SW or the SE?
IMHO, (after decades of ill-treatment) I believe the SS will rather go it alone.
Trust me, SW will survive with or without the SS.
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by ektbear: 12:09am On Apr 22, 2011
iwonbaoko:

i believe  you are aware that  adolf hitler  is from  what is now austria in other words austria and germany as we know it together constitute deutschland.
No. They were two separate countries. He was just an immigrant from Austria to Germany. Since the ethnic groups in both countries are the same, I don't really think movement across the borders was a big deal at that time. We have Beninoise Yoruba in Yorubaland. Nobody hassles them or views them too much as alien.

afterworld war two the powers that be decided they did not want such a large powerful nation in europe.
Do you have a reference for this? This I doubt. Germany is the most powerful country in Europe right now today, and nobody is trying to partition/weaken them. If they wanted to merge with Austria, they could. . . nobody would block it.

that is the realpolitik of nigeria. no one will allow the SS/SE to remain as one nation even if the SS want it unlikely as that is.
Who would stop them? If both sides want to get married, who is going to stop the wedding? grin
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by ektbear: 12:12am On Apr 22, 2011
T9ksy:

And what makes you think the SS wants to be in the same country as either the SW or the SE?
IMHO, (after decades of ill-treatment) I believe the SS will rather go it alone.
Trust me, SW will survive with or without the SS.

Yeah, I figure that they'd go it alone. That is what makes the most sense money-wise, at least. Anyway, I'd be sad to lose the money, but I don't think it'd be the end of the world. I agree, SW will survive and find other things to do. But in the short term, it might be a painful transition.
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by ayomifull(f): 12:21am On Apr 22, 2011
Those innocent lives would not have been lost if they were posted to their own states to serve

Let us demand for change to NYSC scheme for people to serve in their own states of origin

Lets not wait for more lives to be lost before we voice out
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by ZnO: 12:22am On Apr 22, 2011
Why not northerners in SE withdraw from the SE?
Why not SWners in the North withdraw from the North?
Why not SWners in the East withdraw?
Why not SEners in the West withdraw?
Why not SS people in the SE, SW and North withdraw?
Why not SW people in SS withdraw?
Why not Northerners in SS withdraw?
Why not Nigerians abroad return?
Why not everyone go back to their own natural enclaves?
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by louchi: 12:23am On Apr 22, 2011
Sentiments put aside, I still believe the southerners are potentialy capable of brainstorming a way forward. This will not be easy because various ethnic groups in the south have been stereotyped to be untrustworthy among themselves, BUT with a common goal  and mentality to move forward, it might be feasible. I might not be in my home country but I'm still optimistic about its future.
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by T9ksy(m): 12:26am On Apr 22, 2011
mens dept:

Most Yoruba today actually regret that their leaders did not choose a better route 40 years ago. Are Yoruba not suffering the same thing Igbo and Efik folks are suffering today?  Have you been to Ibadan? Many of those roads havent been upgraded since Awo's time, and fake pastors are as plentiful as those in Warri.

So the labeling of Yoruba as cowards and all-mouth-and -no-action historically is legit, though the Yoruba of today, and a section of their leadership, is just as courageous, serious, and war-like as other southerners, and as a result, Southern rule and limited development as oppossed to 419, Hajj,  military decree, and nonsense.

And what do u termed as "better route" for the yorubas, 4 decades ago?
That we should have followed Ojukwu fight a war of his own making knowing fully well the huge loss we are about to suffer.
And at the end of it all, the best we can hope for is becoming a colony of the new biafran nation.

Here we go again with you guys at the slightest chance, calling us a bad name just so you can hang us.
As recent as 1840, the yoruba "cowards" stopped the jihadist at the battle of oshogbo.
HISTORICALLY, the yorubas had a formidable empire which strectches as far as benin republic.
In all my years of historical research, I have never come across a group of people who are war-shy creating such a large empire.
Your fore fathers who were brimming full of intestinal fortitude, pray tell us, what empire did they form with their obduracy?
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by T9ksy(m): 12:36am On Apr 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

Yeah, I figure that they'd go it alone. That is what makes the most sense money-wise, at least. Anyway, I'd be sad to lose the money, but I don't think it'd be the end of the world. I agree, SW will survive and find other things to do. But in the short term, it might be a painful transition.

The SS can stand on their own so why would they want to be lumbered with either of the two major groups with the possibility of being exploited all over agin?

And yeah, it might be a painful transition (for the yorubas) but anything is better than this 50 years of regression culturally, financially, morally, educationally, socially ati bebelo.

Considering how we started off in the 50's, look at us now, 60 years later.
Pa Awo (and his emewa) must be turning in their graves.
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by naijangel7(f): 12:37am On Apr 22, 2011
obviously u r young Grin.

nne,
even husband and wife rotate.haba!one person  will be on top all the time??

@iwonbaoko, Your point is? Explain how rotation aids development please and stop veering off a point you raised. what has age got to do with it, old man?
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by ektbear: 12:37am On Apr 22, 2011
I don't disagree with Yoruba not joining the army in large #s back in the day. . . I can understand what they were thinking from an individual or family perspective. But in retrospect, in an unstable and coup-loving continent like Africa, it was a tremendous mistake for the Yoruba nation.

I honestly don't know what our leadership was thinking. We lost the Midwest region, were essentially powerless during the various coups. . . all due to not having an army.

If you don't want to have an army, then you should have gained your independence separately from Nigeria on 1961. That would have been smarter. Then you can build it up over time, and can make alliances with foreign countries to stave off invaders, etc.

Alas, hindsight is 20/20, I guess.
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by Nobody: 12:44am On Apr 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

No. They were two separate countries. He was just an immigrant from Austria to Germany. Since the ethnic groups in both countries are the same, I don't really think movement across the borders was a big deal at that time. We have Beninoise Yoruba in Yorubaland. Nobody hassles them or views them too much as alien.
Do you have a reference for this? This I doubt. Germany is the most powerful country in Europe right now today, and nobody is trying to partition/weaken them. If they wanted to merge with Austria, they could. . . nobody would block it.
Who would stop them? If both sides want to get married, who is going to stop the wedding? grin

i used the term deutschland advisedly and deliberately.i did not say they were not two countries you miss the point.at any rate the austria from which hitler came was created in1918. you say he was JUST AN IMMIGRANT.with respect you show a misunderstanding of deutsch history or why a mere immigrant could become fuhrer.if you have time read up on the history of the austo-hungarian empire and the first world war. most germans were not happy that they were not allowed to be together in 1918 and in their eyes hitler was not an immigrant .if germany wanted to merge with austria today  they cannot.clearly you have  a limited knowledge of the first second world wars or of the negotiations that led to the fall of the berlin wall. even building a military is not something they will be allowed to do unimpeded.to this day there are still british and american military bases in germany(MAJORDIGRESSION).do i have reference ?if u wan learn make u put nyansh for chair open book. na to give u reference  i go take fill my tank
regarding any wedding make ona try am nah
just for the record there is no such thing as yorubaland
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by Katsumoto: 12:52am On Apr 22, 2011
T9ksy:

And what do u termed as "better route" for the yorubas, 4 decades ago?
That we should have followed Ojukwu fight a war of his own making knowing fully well the huge loss we are about to suffer.
And at the end of it all, the best we can hope for is becoming a colony of the new biafran nation.

Here we go again with you guys at the slightest chance, calling us a bad name just so you can hang us.
As recent as 1840, the yoruba "cowards" stopped the jihadist at the battle of oshogbo.
HISTORICALLY, the yorubas had a formidable empire which strectches as far as benin republic. the borders of Ghana.
In all my years of historical research, I have never come across a group of people who are war-shy creating such a large empire.
Your fore fathers who were brimming full of intestinal fortitude, pray tell us, what empire did they form with their obduracy?

Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by ShangoThor(m): 12:59am On Apr 22, 2011
Par the Trolls on NL that just talk trash in order to breed hatred, most NL posters are annoyingly complacent.
Very few on NL can claim to be surprised by what happened in the North because ,  I told you so months ago, I screamed about this at every opportunity. I had a massive row about the same issue with Mr pROGRESS, himself, ROSSIKE. The Northerners warned Southerners that it was going to happen.

When I was highlighting the need for Southerners to collude, bigots from both the West and East and their f*u*c*k*i*n*g pride and point scoring were throwing mud at each other as if they were primitive forms of demented Gibbons.

Now that the s*h*i*t has hit the fan, I think people are beginning to realize that there was some wisdom in the stuff I was posting.

Fact: The mentality of a section of Northerners to slaughter non indigenous populations in their midst solely due to their 'Social Identity' is not only barbaric, it is also UNCIVILIZED.

It is impossible to coexist in a Union with such a community, and if you choose to ignore these facts you do so at your peril and the main question that will continue to haunt your nightmares will be, when will the next atrocities be perpetrated.

This isssue is about progress in Africa, and is a lot bigger than Individual Ethnic issues. It's time for African Intelligence to reign supreme. It's time for Southern Nigerian intelligence to trump Northern 'Divide and Conquer' and 'Born to rule' concepts. Once again, terrorism is terrorism, whether perpetrated by an individual or a mob! Southerners, it's time to Unite against Mob terrorism!

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by Nobody: 1:05am On Apr 22, 2011
naijangel7:

@iwonbaoko, Your point is? Explain how rotation aids development please and stop veering off a point you raised. what has age got to do with it, old man?
ok young gial.your premise is that a fracture would have as its main objective development.i am not persuaded. what i meant when i said you are youn is this ;your idealistic fervor is not matched by previous historical realities. whether rightly or wrongly the igbos are viewed with mistrust by all other nigerians and there is the perception that they seek to take over if not watched closely.personally i see the same phenomena all over africa. we criticise the abokis for mob action but similar things have happened among the yoruba and igbo quite recently. mob killing of alleged penis thief and alleged cat turning into woman.all of this highlights poor education and that our people are very far from the point where we would allow an efik man rule for16 years even though it is clearly the best thing. i am often irritated by so many compromises that characterise our life but to live in a world of make believe is naive. i am yoruba and do business in nigeria with igbos mostly.and i know they are very clannish even to fellow igbos. that is our reality.the hausa are the same as are many yorubas too.so i agree i have the cynicism of the old and i hope your optimism triumphs
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by Onlytruth(m): 1:13am On Apr 22, 2011
The return of ShangoThor! cool

Most of the posters here are kids.

Most of them don't even bother to think through their posts. They lack a sense of history and the maturity to analyse the issues accurately.

Some are "adult kids" who plan the future without examining the past.

James Hadley Chase says that a wise man knows his limits because everyone has one.

For adults only please.
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by Nobody: 1:20am On Apr 22, 2011
And Moses said "Let my people go"
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by ektbear: 1:27am On Apr 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Hehe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtLcELU1brA grin

Is that the right analogy? They are leaving the SE in large #s because there is more money to be made outside of their region than before it. They've been doing this since at least the early 20th century. Biafra, we can use that analogy. But this? I don't think it quite works.
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by ShangoThor(m): 1:32am On Apr 22, 2011
Onlytruth:

The return of ShangoThor! cool

Most of the posters here are kids.

Most of them don't even bother to think through their posts. They lack a sense of history and the maturity to analyse the issues accurately.

Some are "adult kids" who plan the future without examining the past.

James Hadley Chase says that a wise man knows his limits because everyone has one.

For adults only please.

@ OnlyTruth, Hey Bro, I hear you loud and clearly. The individuals that trivialize this situation are clueless. The objective has been discerned, in the words of Edmund Burke, "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing".
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by EzeUche3(m): 1:59am On Apr 22, 2011
[b]ShangoThor [/b]is the most pro-South Yoruba I have seen on Nairaland. It is quite a breath fresh air.

I have no problem with the unity of the South.
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by EzeUche3(m): 2:00am On Apr 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Let my people go!
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by Nobody: 2:05am On Apr 22, 2011
we all know how much abokis love igbos.the new nigeria will be northern nigeria and igboland SS Can go their way and the west go theirs
Re: Why Can't Igbos Withdraw From The Enemy Territory? by Onlytruth(m): 2:11am On Apr 22, 2011
The truth is that Igbos today today would vote for an Igbo only country. cool

Those of us who see a possibility of a southern Nigeria do so only on the condition that current Nigerian suspicions and fears don't continue in the new country. Nothing more, nothing less.

Even at that, we have to campaign vigorously in Igboland for that to pass. FACT.

But I share in Shango Tors vision.

Only leaders can envision.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Fashola, The Man Who Transformed Lagos - Matthew Green Of Financial Times / "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo / Abuja Crime: Is Nigeria's Capital City 'one Of The Safest In The World'?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.