Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,146 members, 7,887,325 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 06:48 AM

Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) (25668 Views)

HID Awolowo Was Buried Beside Her Husband, Chief Obafemi Awolowo In Ikene (Pics) / Obasanjo Pushing HID Awolowo On Wheel-Chair (Picture) / Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by lagcity(m): 6:12am On Nov 28, 2011
bashr8:

so was it why igbos and other eastern peoples  money were seized in south west and northern banks after the war? because they had enemies within?

there you go with the lies. you ppl are really pushing it. the money and property were given back to them, including the allocation of eastern state. still ur ppl want to exchange biafran note for Nigerian money. na wa 4 u ooo. anyway, i have said my piece. it is up to u to look inwards and know where things went wrong. look inward.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by bashr8: 6:14am On Nov 28, 2011
lagcity:

there you go with the lies. you ppl are really pushing it. the money and property were given back to them, including the allocation of eastern state. still your ppl want to exchange biafran note for Nigerian money. na wa 4 u ooo. anyway, i have said my piece. it is up to u to look inwards and know where things went wrong. look inward.
which money ? 20 pounds? we are talking of those that have saving in lagos and other non biafran parts of the country like my dad and not those that had in the east or did the money in their accounts also disappear , denial is the problem of the yorubas.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by bashr8: 6:16am On Nov 28, 2011
Aigbofa:

So there was some food coming through Nigerian territory? And there was fear some may be poisoned. The question then is not whether food was coming from Nigeria, but the real origin of the food, which Ojukwu or any Biafran had no way of confirming.

How then can you say with all certainty that Awo did not send any food.

Perhaps Ojukwu was taking the food, divert it to the war front and then tell Biafrans the food was poisoned and therefore destroyed.

who told you ojukwu or biafran soldiers were responsible for distribution of food? the missionaries, teachers and cillians were responsible for that and not ojukwu.watch the documentry before you make such comments.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nchara: 6:18am On Nov 28, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSqhqP3U-t4&feature=related

Fast forward to 2:22 and listen to Oyinbo AID group describing how ojuku asked for bribe and extorted money from them. Even saying unless they pay, their planes filled with food no go land and they should take their food away, while his own people are starving as claimed by you lying folks blaming everybody outside your borders but not your war leader turning away food planes for his people. He even asked the to bring in  fuel instead of food.

Obviously he care less about starving ibo people.

You ojuku sat their and admitted, he didn't deny it.

So how many ibo did he starve to death with his bribery and extortion policies.?

You a free to blame other people for your misfortunes, ojuku himself created a whole lot of it. It's there in black and white, video don't lie and these are white folks from abroad, not Nigerians or Yoruba people

Eko Ile, I do not see this in this video. Did you post a wrong one or you are just plain lying lying Awo?
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nobody: 6:19am On Nov 28, 2011
bashr8:

awo did not send any food,  however gowon insisted food sent by international organisations pass through nigeria which biafra rejected cause of reports of food poisoning and babies dying from foods that passed through the nigerian army. they had to fly in foods secretely at night to biafra .

How would you know who sent the food? And if no food came from Nigeria, then the reports of babies dying from food poisoning was fabricated. Lies, one of many told by the Ikemba.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nchara: 6:20am On Nov 28, 2011
Aigbofa:

So there was some food coming through Nigerian territory? And there was fear some may be poisoned. The question then is not whether food was coming from Nigeria, but the real origin of the food, which Ojukwu or any Biafran had no way of confirming.

How then can you say with all certainty that Awo did not send any food.

Perhaps Ojukwu was taking the food, divert it to the war front and then tell Biafrans the food was poisoned and therefore destroyed.

Watch the link provide by Eko Ile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSqhqP3U-t4&feature=related and see how the white guy there described how food was distributed. You have no clue what you are saying.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nobody: 6:20am On Nov 28, 2011
bashr8:

who told you ojukwu or biafran soldiers were responsible for distribution of food? the missionaries, teachers and cillians were responsible for that and not ojukwu.watch the documentry before you make such comments.

He didn't have to be there personally! Are you this slow?
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by 9javoice1(m): 6:21am On Nov 28, 2011
i even forgot that line.
awo interview (that is if its coming fro awo) claims that he paid biafrans their monthly alocations?

woo not even a bird will accept will blv the thrash. this is laufable,how can he?
anyway he refuse to tell us who he send the money to or to which bank account it was
remmited to.

again i found out that all awo's words are usualy incomplete and he manytimes
uses untraceable comments.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nchara: 6:21am On Nov 28, 2011
Aigbofa:

How would you know who sent the food? And if no food came from Nigeria, then the reports of babies dying from food poisoning was fabricated. Lies, one of many told by the Ikemba.

The food was sent by agencies overseas. The videos are all available. Awo sent no pint of food, not that anyone asked him to. Okay?
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by EkoIle1: 6:22am On Nov 28, 2011
Nchara:

Eko Ile, I do not see this in this video. Did you post a wrong one or you are just plain lying lying Awo?

You must be blind, dumb and deaf.

Fast forward to 2:00.

And I hope you'll come back and apologize.

Liar,
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by bashr8: 6:23am On Nov 28, 2011
Aigbofa:

yeah right after bombing the farms and food stores,blocked the sea ports then still sent food abi? are you that slow ,international organisation were initially bringing in food through lagos port when the cases were being reported cause it was passing through the army till biafra rejected foods passing through there.they had to start flying it in especially at night as they were being shot down by nigerian forces.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nchara: 6:24am On Nov 28, 2011
Okay!!! Enough of old history that will only keep going in circles. In retrospect can we say that Awo would be happy today for the Nigeria he fought to keep together? Tinubu can be easily said to be the Awo of today. What does he think about Nigeria's current situation in relation to Ojukwu and the biafra war?
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by lagcity(m): 6:25am On Nov 28, 2011
bashr8:

which money ? 20 pounds? we are talking of those that have saving in lagos and other non biafran parts of the country like my dad and not those that had in the east or did the money in their accounts also disappear , denial is the problem of the yorubas.

why don't you go and ask the bank managers where the money is? does your father have proof of his savings? a lot of ibos didn't have proof and the banks took advantage. if union bank sits on my money, i challenge union bank, not Okonjo Iweala. Awo went beyond his duties to collect eastern money and gave it back to them. i'm not talking about the 20 pounds, read the interview again and let the scales fall from your eyes. i bet you don't even know the money i'm talking about since ojukwu has fed you so much lies. Awo revealed all this while Ojukwu was alive.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by EkoIle1: 6:25am On Nov 28, 2011
Nchara:

Watch the link provide by Eko Ile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSqhqP3U-t4&feature=related and see how the white guy there described how food was distributed. You have no clue what you are saying.

So you watched the video, but you just conveniently missed where ojuku admitted taking bribe and denying food

HOW DISGUSTING,
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by EkoIle1: 6:28am On Nov 28, 2011
Nchara:

Okay!!! Enough of old history that will only keep going in circles. In retrospect can we say that Awo would be happy today for the Nigeria he fought to keep together? Tinubu can be easily said to be the Awo of today. What does he think about Nigeria's current situation in relation to Ojukwu and the biafra war?

Moral of the story, Awo sent food or  not, he was under no obligation to feed you, biafra and ojukwu was responsible for your feeding and safety and ojukwu not only failed to do both, he intentionally denied you food.

That's a fact. Stop bothering us with your misplaced and bogus rants.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by lagcity(m): 6:31am On Nov 28, 2011
Biafran military hijacked food meant for civilians. that's exactly what farah Aidid did that caused American to send troops to somalia.

Biafran troops also poisoned wells and rivers and lied that federal troops did it so that Biafran civilians will be more committed to hating Nigeria. There was so much evil that arose from Biafran military's desperation to win BUT Igbos always point at Yoruba. Ndigbo look INWARD, you can't keep blaming others for your woes. Open your eyes!
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nchara: 6:31am On Nov 28, 2011
Eko Ile:

So you watched the video, but you just conveniently missed where ojuku admitted taking bribe and denying food

HOW DISGUSTING,

You are a liar. It was not bribe money but a clear request for money, in addition to food, to run the military. No time did I hear that food supply was stopped in this video because money was not sent. They were threatened but never were stopped. Eventually money came with the food. France also granted that request by sending arms. Watch your own video. Keep lying for Awo.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by dayokanu(m): 6:33am On Nov 28, 2011
Eko Ile:

HOW DISGUSTING,

Nothing new, Ojuku is a scumbag anyways.

Someone who came back joined the NPN the same ppl he fought against now became bedfellows with him.

He got his full military entitlements while those Biafra soldiers rot away in the Eastern heartland

WHat a Hero
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by lagcity(m): 6:33am On Nov 28, 2011
Eko Ile:

HOW DISGUSTING,

Bros, wetin we no go see for NL. just SMH. emotion is a b1tch, it blinds ppl.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by lagcity(m): 6:36am On Nov 28, 2011
Nchara:

You are a liar. It was not bribe money but a clear request for money, in addition to food, to run the military. No time did I hear that food supply was stopped in this video because money was not sent. They were threatened but never were stopped. Eventually money came with the food. France also granted that request by sending arms. Watch your own video. Keep lying for Awo.
Nchara Nchara Nchara. how many times wey i call u? these lies and denials are not going to get you anywhere.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nchara: 6:38am On Nov 28, 2011
In retrospect can we say that Awo would be happy today for the Nigeria he fought to keep together? Tinubu can be easily said to be the Awo of today. What does he think about Nigeria's current situation in relation to Ojukwu and the biafra war?

Tinubu: His death reminder of Nigeria’s federalism problem
By Our Reporter 3 hours 45 minutes ago
Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font
Tinubu: His death reminder of Nigeria’s federalism problem

Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) national leader Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu yesterday said the death of Ojukwu marked the passage of one of the movers of Nigerian history in the 20th century.

The former governor of Lagos State described Ojukwu’s death as a reminder of “Nigeria’s unfinished federal business and the urgency to fix the problem, once and for all.”

“Ojukwu’s death once again reminds all of us of the unfinished business of Nigerian federalism.  If only for his memory, and to ensure that Nigeria never has to suffer again any crisis like the Civil War, we must all rise as a people to fix Nigeria’s special challenges.  That is why,” he insisted, “Nigeria must, as a matter of urgency convoke a sovereign national conference, where all these issues would be resolved.”

He said that federal-related tensions still persisted 31 years after the Civil War (1967-1970), underlined the depth of the feeling of marginalisation and perceived unfairness by critical stakeholders in the Nigerian union.

Tinubu extended his condolences and sympathies to Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State, Mrs Bianca Ojukwu, the widow and the entire clan Ojukwu, as well as the entire Igbo race on behalf of who the Ikemba lived, fought and died, in the context of an equitable federal Nigeria.

The former governor said though Chief Odumegwu-Ojukwu was a controversial figure, he made his mark during the era of the titans of Nigerian politics and governance.

“Ojukwu, the Ikemba and Eze Igbo Gburugburu, meant many things to many people.  But his greatness was that he stood his own such that, even with the constellation of stars of his age and time, he still made his mark – and profoundly so.  You might love Ojukwu and you might hate him.  But you could never be indifferent about him nor could you ignore him,” Tinubu said.

He said the late Biafran war leader was a revolutionary, almost from the womb.

“While his father, the rich and the illustrious Sir Odumegwu Ojukwu insisted his son should go into the civil services as was fit for an Oxford graduate in history that his son was, the young man had other ideas.  He opted for military service, even offering to join as a recruit, when his way was blocked.  That decision,” Asiwaju Tinubu added, “not only made him the first graduate to enlist in the Nigerian Army, it also changed the course of Nigerian history.”

Asiwaju Tinubu said the Biafran episode, the civil war and Ojukwu’s role in the Second Republic when, fresh from exile when he dived head-long into the ruling National Party of Nigeria (NPN) to contest a senatorial seat, which he eventually lost, was still a subject of historical analysis.

So, is his controversial stand on the June 12 question, when the late Ikemba campaigned against the mandate of Basorun MKO Abiola, when it was annulled by Gen. Ibrahim Babangida.”

But Asiwaju Tinubu insisted all these actions were, in his opinion, not driven by any personal motives, but the need to give the Igbo fair representation in the Nigerian commonwealth.

“The Civil War was unfortunate.  Ojukwu was one of the young men at the helms who took one decision or the other, that led to the unfortunate war,” he said.  “But whatever the circumstances were, I don’t think Ojukwu’s actions were driven by  personal motives.  It would appear to me they were driven by efforts to give the Ndigbo fair representation in a federal Nigeria.”

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/27705-tinubu%3A-his-death-reminder-of-nigeria%E2%80%99s-federalism-problem.html

Lt-Gen Akinrinade Regrets Fighting Civil War

Akinrinade raises fear of Nigeria�s disintegration
By Dayo Benson & James Ezema
Thursday, November 12, 2009

LAGOS�A former Chief of Army Staff and ex-Chief of Defence Staff, Lieutenant-General Alani Akinrinade (rtd), yesterday warned that the country risks disintegration unless true federalism is restored.

He also regretted his participation in the Nigerian-Biafran civil war.

Akinrinade said if he had known that the country would find itself in its present state, he would not have fought in the war to keep the country together.

He spoke at a forum, �The New Nigeria Dialogue� organised by the International Centre for Reconstruction and Development to mark the 55th birthday of Pastor Tunde Bakare of the Latter Rain Assembly in Lagos.

According to him, �If I had known that the country would turn to what it is today, I would not have fought the civil war to keep Nigeria one.�

He stressed that as a soldier he would fight to defend the country against external aggressors but would never fight internal war again.

He described the sacrifice and patriotic duty as a waste of time and efforts, declaring that post-civil war Nigeria is not a country of his dream.

Speakers, including Professor Ropo Sekoni, Mr. Alfred Ilenre, Chief Fred Agbeyegbe and Mr. Tony Nnadi spoke on: �The Nigerian Federation: Fundamental Flaws and Creative Reforms.�

At the event, chaired by ex-governor of Lagos State, Rear-Admiral Ndubusi Kanu (rtd), were ex-Osun State Gov, Chief Bisi Akande; Dr. Amos Akingba, Mr. Wale Oshun, Mrs. Jumoke Anifowose, Mr. Tokunbo Ajasin, Mr. Bisi Adegbuyi, Mr. Adedapo Adeniran, Mr. Sam Ayedogbon and others.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/nov/12/318.html

What did the Yoruba, led by Awo, partake in the Biafra war for? Did they achieve that aim?
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nobody: 6:39am On Nov 28, 2011
lagcity:

Bros, wetin we no go see for NL. just SMH. emotion is a b1tch, it blinds ppl.

I'm beginning to see why Ojukwu did not write any memoirs. I think we was more contented with what his fanatical followers will write about him and whatever legend they decide to weave around him than the truth.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by EkoIle1: 6:40am On Nov 28, 2011
Nchara:

The man said If they didn't do it, they wont be allowed to bring in food.

That was bribery, extortion and blackmail.

How do you justify telling aid workers if they don't pay you, they wont be allowed to bring in food when your people are starving?

It clearly means the money was more important to him than his starving people.

Your thinking dey crooked and bogus sha, just like ojukwu's
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nchara: 6:42am On Nov 28, 2011
lagcity:

Nchara Nchara Nchara. how many times wey i call u? these lies and denials are not going to get you anywhere.  

I do not know about you, but the video I watched did not show, neither did I hear anything about bribe money. Ojukwu asked for money in addition to food. When Red Cross Hedged, he threatened and money was then sent in addition to food. Listen carefully, both Ojukwu and the white guy used the words ''in addition to food'' in their explanations. Is there any evidence elsewhere that food was stopped by Ojukwu? I did not see that in this video.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by Nchara: 6:43am On Nov 28, 2011
Eko Ile:

The man said If they didn't do it, they wont be allowed to bring in food.

That was bribery, extortion and blackmail.

How do you justify telling aid workers if they don't pay you, they wont be allowed to bring in food when your people are starving?

It clearly means the money was more important to him than his starving people.

Your thinking dey crooked and bogus sha, just like ojukwu's

That is your own interpretation. Even the white man did not interpret it that way. If Ojukwu had not used that strategy the war would be over. The white man made that clear too.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by lagcity(m): 7:04am On Nov 28, 2011
Awolowo stopped the closing down of ACB bank because that was the main bank Ibo traders got financing from after the war. The man went above and beyond, he didn't have to do that but some Igbos conveniently skip it over and continue in their belligerence Even Zik didn't give a shit about Igbos. What else do you want Ndigbo? Ndigbo look inwards!
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by ACM10: 8:13am On Nov 28, 2011
I used to have respect for Awolowo. But I've lost all that. This man is a pathological liar. He might deny all the roles he played in the
civil war, but history will incriminate him. The man is a monster.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by CyberG: 8:19am On Nov 28, 2011
very interesting information! so all lies about the sw all punctured in one go? well, i think the power of they type of propaganda that Goebbels fed to Germans is what will carry the day here: little kids that were neither witness or got a clue will argue with voice and video evidence to protect their ethnic and bigoted views!
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by CyberG: 8:31am On Nov 28, 2011
I just found that OKEY NDIBE was actually at the town hall meeting where he gave these answers. . .interesting!
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by hercules07: 8:35am On Nov 28, 2011
Our brothers across the Niger will be best advised to focus their energies on electing good leaders, leaders like Awolowo, who not only cares about his people, but, tries to do what is right by others. I can not believe our Igbo friends expected the federal side to feed them, especially in a war fought in the 60s, have they watched the vietnam wars, wars as at then was with all gloves off, even now sef, no matter what anybody says, Awolowo was a good leader and may God give us more of his type.
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by jason123: 9:20am On Nov 28, 2011
What I find funny is that almost all the actors in the civil war wrote down memoirs except Ojukwu as Alhaji pointed out in pg2. Why?? Why did he not write down his own account?? LOL. Keep thinking your enemies are the Yorubas . . . hahahaa!
Some of you guys have been so so deceived that you find it hard to separate the reality from friction. From one of the videos brought out by Relax 101 about the war, the soldiers were well fed but the citizens were not. Yet, someone is talking about Gabon? WTF? How can a blockade be effective and yet, you still had the effrontery to import from another country?

Lies no good oo!
Re: Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) by WilyWily4: 9:40am On Nov 28, 2011
I can see, the Next coming war in this Country will be too Bloody.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

"The People That Killed Gen. Azazi Tried To Kill T.B Joshua' - Femi Fani Kayode / Governor Udom Emmanuel Buys Garri, Okro & Crayfish In Market (Photos) / APC Reconciliation: Tinubu Meets Saraki and Kwankwaso

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.