Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,596 members, 7,951,507 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 05:14 PM

Travelling To Canada-part2 - Travel (61) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada-part2 (214894 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (101) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by Nobody: 7:27pm On Apr 26, 2012
mercylicious:

No university in Canada will give you admission with 3rd class. its very very hard to even get with 2.2 .
I advise you go for a college. It will be good if you apply to more than one college and maybe a uni ( to try ur luck)

On the course to apply for, it depends on the number of applicants for the course, the school and how qualified the applicants are. Just like in Nigeria, people rush some schools. 180 Jamb score can get admission to fairly good courses in some school, but in schools like UNN, which have too many qualified applicants, u might not get a good one.In such good schools, they will consider ppl whose previous course allign to the intended course before offering admission. But in some schools and some courses, they hardly get enough students to fill their quota , so , if you apply, u will surely get.
A friend of mine that studied public health was denied admission from univ of manitoba, reason; previous course not related to intended course.

I feel i have made my point. Get to Canada first , you can change school or course if u dont like it.

Also note that for college admissions, embassy normally advice applicants to make payments during the course of processing visa. This is not usually the case with University admission

I recommend Seneca college,though i dont know what the tuition and fees are like, they treat student issues asap.I was impressed the way they handled a friends application. Also heard Kings college treat admissions fast
For complete list of Canadian universities and their ranking; check the link below

http://www.4icu.org/ca/

I'm not sure who you're advicing, mercylicious. I think your post was meant for someone else?
And I'm not sure what "3rd class" means because we don't use those terms here.

But since you quoted me, I will reply, as this could help someone...

I simply replied to dipo (with regards to xtus's post) that post-grad studies do not have to be in the same undegrad and that was a general statement, because there're exceptions. I guess I should've been more thorough with that comment, because there're many factors that go into it: the University you're applying to, if you have taken classes in that post-grad course - while in undergrad, and most importantly the undergrad course you did + the post-grad program you're applying to itself. For grad programs in the Sciences, Engineering and many health-related fields (if not all), your undergrad should ( I'm tempted to say "must" ) be in the same course because these're distinctive fields that prepare you for careers in those fields alone and you need to have the adequate knowledge to practice. For ex, someone who wants to get a MSc. in Chemistry should do their undergrad in Chemstry.

With specific courses like those in the Sciences: (Bio, Chem, Physics, Pharmacy), Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Architecture, etc, it's crucial to have done one's undergrad in that same field. This's how it is for my school and I think I know enough about schools here to say it's like that for others as well. Some schools may differ, in that they may accept a student if he/she has taken some courses in undergrad that relates to that grad program and in a case like this, they will be very clear (in their admission requirements) and will list the name of the courses you must've also taken - before you can be considered. But really, here, a lot of schools are very strict in terms of accepting students who've done a different undergrad program than the grad program they're applying to, especially if they're the programs I mentioned above, and a couple more others not listed. It also depends on what deparment your going from. I.E, it's much easier to go from the Sciences to the Arts than it is to go from the Arts to the Sciences, especially with grad programs. So if someone's undergrad is in a Liberal Arts field like "Music" and they want and MSc in Biology, it's going to be impossible to get in - without having any solid background in Biology. But if your undergrad is in Bio and you want an MA in Music, most likely all you've to do's take some undergrad courses in Music (or the courses they list as part of their admission requirements), as well as meet their other admission requirments, of course. Although grades are the foundation of being admitted into grad programs, schools're looking for a well-rounded person; extra-curriculars, contributions in the community, references (these're important), how thorough and well-done the application is - all play a role in whether someone gets in or not.

Your friend who didn't get admitted into University of Manitoba, what was his/her undergrad in? For Public Health, the Undergrad just has to be in a "health-related field," not necessarily in Public Health, so that means someone with an undergrad in any of the Sciences could get in. This's how it is for my Uni. For University of Manitoba, they're open to undergrads in any disciplie, including those in the Arts. Even those with "three-year" general degrees may be considered, in some instances. They're actually more lenient than my School, so I'm wondering how true it is that your friend didn't get in because his previous course wasn't related to his intended course, as you said. Their application is no joke though, perhaps something went wrong with that or his/her grades weren't on par? My point is, there must be more to him not being accepted than "previous course not related to intended course" as you stated.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by bamshy: 10:40pm On Apr 26, 2012
bumdish:

@ My people, I acted on this advice and I can confirm to you that I have my Medical Instruction with me right now. I submitted less than a month. So please act fast. I would give a comprehensive timeline of events and docs I submitted soon.

I have an urgent question though. Am I supposed to open the small sealed brown envelop that came with the medical form or I am supposed to deliver the envelop sealed to the clinic? Please respond Sirs&Mas

You can if you want. It's no biggie. It's a medical evaluation form that has your passport photograph attached and stamped. Depending on your choice of clinic, you will be required to make 5 copies of your international passport data page, the medical evaluation form in the envelope and the medical instruction form itself. In addition, you will need to bring along 5 passport photographs and 28k. You will do blood/Urine test for HIV, STDs and STIs and other ailments. In addition you will have your xray done and a doctor to ask you questions about your sight and general health.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by samdams: 11:29pm On Apr 26, 2012
[b]Dear Nairlander's
i have small trouble with this Canada stuffs oooh...Presently i am in London studying and i will be through by next month and my visa will expire in sept, but i applied for 3 universities and a college in Canada..i got accepted into the college (Seneca college) and also university ( University of Prince Edward island) the other 2 universities are still yet to decide if they gonna take me or not, but here is what am confused about ..the medical thing do i need to go to my GP here in London for them to just write it and give ? do i need to pay the tuition fees before i can apply for the visa ? when is the best time for me to apply for the if i am to go ahead and choose one out of the 2 choices given to me ? and i will like anyone to help me ... Seneca college or Prince Edward university island which will you prefer ?
i am not sponsoring myself can i also include my own statement of account when applying for the visa ? is it okay as a new comer to stay off campus or in the campus since i dont know anyone ? which is more expensive for me to live ? can i pay 2 or 3 months accommodation in advance before i get there ?
Thanks i will need help ...make una help a brother here ooh
[/b]
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by bashtee: 12:35am On Apr 27, 2012
[b][b]@bumdish
@ My people, I acted on this advice and I can confirm to you that I have my Medical Instruction with me right now. I submitted less than a month. So please act fast. I would give a comprehensive timeline of events and docs I submitted soon.
I have an urgent question though. Am I supposed to open the small sealed brown envelop that came with the medical form or I am supposed to deliver the envelop sealed to the clinic? Please respond Sirs&Mas

Dont open the sealed envelope take it like that to the doctor that will examine you, that happened to me during my time, i opened the sealed envelope before i met the doctor and she was a bit mad,but everything went well. Congratulations for your medical call up,you are already in canada.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by Noswaa: 1:56am On Apr 27, 2012
Please my good people,where do i pay my visa application fee
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by Nobody: 4:41am On Apr 27, 2012
Noswaa: Please my good people,where do i pay my visa application fee
just go to any cdhc designated bank and request a naira bank draft.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by dipo1: 6:20am On Apr 27, 2012
Yield:

I'm not sure who you're advicing, mercylicious. I think your post was meant for someone else?
And I'm not sure what "3rd class" means because we don't use those terms here.

But since you quoted me, I will reply, as this could help someone...

I simply replied to dipo (with regards to xtus's post) that post-grad studies do not have to be in the same undegrad and that was a general statement, because there're exceptions. I guess I should've been more thorough with that comment, because there're many factors that go into it: the University you're applying to, if you have taken classes in that post-grad course - while in undergrad, and most importantly the undergrad course you did + the post-grad program you're applying to itself. For grad programs in the Sciences, Engineering and many health-related fields (if not all), your undergrad should ( I'm tempted to say "must" ) be in the same course because these're distinctive fields that prepare you for careers in those fields alone and you need to have the adequate knowledge to practice. For ex, someone who wants to get a MSc. in Chemistry should do their undergrad in Chemstry.

With specific courses like those in the Sciences: (Bio, Chem, Physics, Pharmacy), Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Architecture, etc, it's crucial to have done one's undergrad in that same field. This's how it is for my school and I think I know enough about schools here to say it's like that for others as well. Some schools may differ, in that they may accept a student if he/she has taken some courses in undergrad that relates to that grad program and in a case like this, they will be very clear (in their admission requirements) and will list the name of the courses you must've also taken - before you can be considered. But really, here, a lot of schools are very strict in terms of accepting students who've done a different undergrad program than the grad program they're applying to, especially if they're the programs I mentioned above, and a couple more others not listed. It also depends on what deparment your going from. I.E, it's much easier to go from the Sciences to the Arts than it is to go from the Arts to the Sciences, especially with grad programs. So if someone's undergrad is in a Liberal Arts field like "Music" and they want and MSc in Biology, it's going to be impossible to get in - without having any solid background in Biology. But if your undergrad is in Bio and you want an MA in Music, most likely all you've to do's take some undergrad courses in Music (or the courses they list as part of their admission requirements), as well as meet their other admission requirments, of course. Although grades are the foundation of being admitted into grad programs, schools're looking for a well-rounded person; extra-curriculars, contributions in the community, references (these're important), how thorough and well-done the application is - all play a role in whether someone gets in or not.

Your friend who didn't get admitted into University of Manitoba, what was his/her undergrad in? For Public Health, the Undergrad just has to be in a "health-related field," not necessarily in Public Health, so that means someone with an undergrad in any of the Sciences could get in. This's how it is for my Uni. For University of Manitoba, they're open to undergrads in any disciplie, including those in the Arts. Even those with "three-year" general degrees may be considered, in some instances. They're actually more lenient than my School, so I'm wondering how true it is that your friend didn't get in because his previous course wasn't related to his intended course, as you said. Their application is no joke though, perhaps something went wrong with that or his/her grades weren't on par? My point is, there must be more to him not being accepted than "previous course not related to intended course" as you stated.

Well said.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by dipo1: 6:33am On Apr 27, 2012
By the way, I'm having a little dilemma. My long term intention is to settle in CA and if i cant, at least return to naija with an MSc. My CA admission is to Humber Collegge and tuition is about =N=2M (PGD program). Meanwhile, i have an application for a MSc in Hongkong (Yes, chinko grin) in consideration and the fact that its a MSc. is what attracts me (the tuition is just over a =N=1M and the school has top world ranking). Moreover, there are more opportunities in my chosen area of telecoms in Hongkong than in Canada from what I see. If I am convinced that I can find my way around settling in canada after completing my Humber college study, i will be fine with Canada, but if i dont get the permanent residence and have to return to niaja without a MSc, I will cry blood grin
Kindly drop your thoughts
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by bumdish: 7:04am On Apr 27, 2012
bashtee: [b][b]@bumdish

Dont open the sealed envelope take it like that to the doctor that will examine you, that happened to me during my time, i opened the sealed envelope before i met the doctor and she was a bit mad,but everything went well. Congratulations for your medical call up,you are already in canada.

Thanks a bunch on this
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by bumdish: 7:13am On Apr 27, 2012
bamshy:

You can if you want. It's no biggie. It's a medical evaluation form that has your passport photograph attached and stamped. Depending on your choice of clinic, you will be required to make 5 copies of your international passport data page, the medical evaluation form in the envelope and the medical instruction form itself. In addition, you will need to bring along 5 passport photographs and 28k. You will do blood/Urine test for HIV, STDs and STIs and other ailments. In addition you will have your xray done and a doctor to ask you questions about your sight and general health.

Thanks for insight and details. Has anybody used the newly added hospital in Ikoyi? I am seriously considering using them cos the appointments I got from the other clinics are aren't quite favourable to my schedule. Please advice.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by symbian03(m): 7:14am On Apr 27, 2012
dipo+:
By the way, I'm having a little dilemma. My long term intention is to settle in CA and if i cant, at least return to naija with an MSc. My CA admission is to Humber Collegge and tuition is about =N=2M (PGD program). Meanwhile, i have an application for a MSc in Hongkong (Yes, chinko grin) in consideration and the fact that its a MSc. is what attracts me (the tuition is just over a =N=1M and the school has top world ranking). Moreover, there are more opportunities in my chosen area of telecoms in Hongkong than in Canada from what I see. If I am convinced that I can find my way around settling in canada after completing my Humber college study, i will be fine with Canada, but if i dont get the permanent residence and have to return to niaja without a MSc, I will cry blood grin
Kindly drop your thoughts

huahuahuahuahuahua Bro, all i can do is laugh at your post lol. Even yourself know its funny! There are several ways to become a PR in CA. And, should you decide to come back to 9ja, that certificate wil be worth more than gold.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by bumdish: 7:15am On Apr 27, 2012
Noswaa: Please my good people,where do i pay my visa application fee

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/nigeria/visas/fees-frais.aspx?view=d

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by ebugirl: 7:47am On Apr 27, 2012
@dipo: Wats up with you medical? Has CDHC or VAC contacted you?
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by bashtee: 7:54am On Apr 27, 2012
@ Dipo+
By the way, I'm having a little dilemma. My long term intention is to settle in CA and if i cant, at least return to naija with an MSc. My CA admission is to Humber Collegge and tuition is about =N=2M (PGD program). Meanwhile, i have an application for a MSc in Hongkong (Yes, chinko ) in consideration and the fact that its a MSc. is what attracts me (the tuition is just over a =N=1M and the school has top world ranking). Moreover, there are more opportunities in my chosen area of telecoms in Hongkong than in Canada from what I see. If I am convinced that I can find my way around settling in canada after completing my Humber college study, i will be fine with Canada, but if i dont get the permanent residence and have to return to niaja without a MSc, I will cry blood
Kindly drop your thoughts.

If you come to canada through student visa,after completing your studies you will have to apply for one year post graduate visa where you will be working to gain work experience in canada,after that you will be qualified For PR, Humber College is one the leading colleges here in Toronto with the certificate and a canadian PR you can travel to Hong kong to check out opportunities. You can as well marry a canadian and get your PR that is another option of getting PR.So weigh your options well.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by dipo1: 8:16am On Apr 27, 2012
ebugirl: @dipo: Wats up with you medical? Has CDHC or VAC contacted you?

I have done my medicals already. Did it last tuesday at The Children consult, Ikoyi. They didn't say anything about 'appointment', i think i recommend them cos i completed the medical on the same day i went there. (I called their number beforehand tho)
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by dipo1: 8:23am On Apr 27, 2012
bashtee: @ Dipo+

If you come to canada through student visa,after completing your studies you will have to apply for one year post graduate visa where you will be working to gain work experience in canada,after that you will be qualified For PR, Humber College is one the leading colleges here in Toronto with the certificate and a canadian PR you can travel to Hong kong to check out opportunities. You can as well marry a canadian and get your PR that is another option of getting PR.So weigh your options well.

Thanks bashtee.
I have thought along this line too and i'm looking if i can secure another admission in one of the canadian colleges where i won't have to pay up to the CAD13k humber requires. George brown for ex has a similar course but my CAD application was with my Humber offer. If i get the trv before i pay humber's fees, can i go to a different sch? Or must one go to the sch he applied for try with?
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by xtus(m): 8:30am On Apr 27, 2012
@ all, what do u guys think of new brunswick community college. Am thinking of applying for d winter n beside they got a cheap tuition. My fear is dat i dont knw if dey gonna accept a cgpa of 2.59........ Jus incase anybody got idea of college dat will accept such a gpa shuld plz suggest. Thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by moty4all: 8:50am On Apr 27, 2012
@xtus u can give them a try. But admission is only for September. And you have to pay $1300 b4 u are accepted.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by xtus(m): 9:00am On Apr 27, 2012
moty4all: @xtus u can give them a try. But admission is only for September. And you have to pay $1300 b4 u are accepted.

can u suggest any college with a low tuition of around 6k dolls per year
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by samdams: 9:25am On Apr 27, 2012
SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME OOOH.....ATLEAST SOMEONE SHOULD RESPOND TO MY POST...AM LOOSING HOPE HERE

Dear Nairlander's
i have small trouble with this Canada stuffs oooh...Presently i am in London studying and i will be through by next month and my visa will expire in sept, but i applied for 3 universities and a college in Canada..i got accepted into the college (Seneca college) and also university ( University of Prince Edward island) the other 2 universities are still yet to decide if they gonna take me or not, but here is what am confused about ..the medical thing do i need to go to my GP here in London for them to just write it and give ? do i need to pay the tuition fees before i can apply for the visa ? when is the best time for me to apply for the if i am to go ahead and choose one out of the 2 choices given to me ? and i will like anyone to help me ... Seneca college or Prince Edward university island which will you prefer ?
i am not sponsoring myself can i also include my own statement of account when applying for the visa ? is it okay as a new comer to stay off campus or in the campus since i dont know anyone ? which is more expensive for me to live ? can i pay 2 or 3 months accommodation in advance before i get there ?
Thanks i will need help ...make una help a brother here ooh
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by Noswaa: 10:18am On Apr 27, 2012
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by moty4all: 10:42am On Apr 27, 2012
@xtus

assiniboine community college
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by bashtee: 10:54am On Apr 27, 2012
@ dipo
I have thought along this line too and i'm looking if i can secure another admission in one of the canadian colleges where i won't have to pay up to the CAD13k humber requires. George brown for ex has a similar course but my CAD application was with my Humber offer. If i get the trv before i pay humber's fees, can i go to a different sch? Or must one go to the sch he applied for try with?

You cant change like that, you will have to resume at humber college,after 6 month that is when you will be able to change school,am not even clear about that you will have to get that info from the school about the change. What course are you going for
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by xtus(m): 11:24am On Apr 27, 2012
moty4all: @xtus

assiniboine community college

in brandon.......... Do dey accept cgpa of 2.59
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by dipo1: 11:28am On Apr 27, 2012
bashtee: @ dipo

You cant change like that, you will have to resume at humber college,after 6 month that is when you will be able to change school,am not even clear about that you will have to get that info from the school about the change. What course are you going for

Wireless Telecommunications
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by moty4all: 12:58pm On Apr 27, 2012
xtus:

in brandon.......... Do dey accept cgpa of 2.59

Sure dey should u not going for master NA... Send along ur O level result
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by Beehandz(m): 2:01pm On Apr 27, 2012
Thank you NLs for the encyclopaedia of info pple have shared so far shared on this Canada Visa. You guys are the best

I have admission to Vancouver Island University, BC (GIS Postgrad). Maple Education for my Visa processing. My documents were submitted to CDHC 2weeks ago. So far, I’ve read on this thread pple that got their medical call up in 3weeks and
I’m hoping I will fall into same category by next week.

I have like 10M in my sponsor’s acc which is my sis’s personal coy’s acc and few shares+ 1 landed property estimated @ 25M.

Here are my questions;
I wana believe the 10M+ other little cash is enof for my funding to avoid issues frm CDHC
How soon should I be expecting a reply from the CDHC.

@Lamide11 & Allexy2- I read ur post on the 1st thread of Canada that was closed last year December that you’re in VIU. I will like u to update me on the securing accommodation (peer stay-off campus), and securing job on/off campus and life generally in Nanaimo. Kindly send me a blank mail (Isaiah_beejay@yahoo.co.uk)

@johhnnie- also read on same Canada thread with lamide11 that you r in Vancouver and you have a degree in GIS which is my the course I’m goin for in VIU. I will like u to contact you so you can give me more info about GIS (Isaiah_beejay@yahoo.co.uk)

@bamshy- I read your post on using Maple but you didn’t complete it if you later got the Visa or Not and how fast did CDHC responded to you.kindly inbox me so I can further ask some questions.

@Maple applicants here, kindly inbox me on (Isaiah_beejay@yahoo.co.uk) so we can rub minds

@all visa applicants-With God on our sides, CDHC have no option dan to grant our heart desires
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by SirP1: 5:04pm On Apr 27, 2012
@Beehandz Goodluck, from what ive read here, It's not always about how much is in a sponsors acct but how well you prove your relationship with the sponsor. So if you've submitted docs to prove that, you shuld be good to go
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by snuteria: 5:53pm On Apr 27, 2012
PLEASE GUYS I NEED YOUR RESPONSE O,,,,, PLEAAASSSSEEEEEEE

Please I got a call from a friend, nigerian, who is presently in the UK, he wants to apply for study permit from there, his program is for 3 and half years but his nigerian passport just have like a year and half left to expire, would appreciate it if any of you can give the best option on how to go about this so as not to be denied, how can he extend or get a new passport, where can he do this, because the application form states that he his passport should cover the duration of his study, would appreciate your response.

THANKS
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by xtus(m): 7:09pm On Apr 27, 2012
moty4all:

Sure dey should u not going for master NA... Send along ur O level result

they only accept intenational application once in a year and dats on sept start date only. Can u help me with any school that i can put in for january start date. Thnks
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by moty4all: 9:07pm On Apr 27, 2012
@xtus I guess u have to try dem private College now
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by bamshy: 9:20pm On Apr 27, 2012
dipo+:

I have done my medicals already. Did it last tuesday at The Children consult, Ikoyi. They didn't say anything about 'appointment', i think i recommend them cos i completed the medical on the same day i went there. (I called their number beforehand tho)

Same here! And they don't get mad if you open the envelope. Infact, they tell you to and ask you to make five copies.

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (101)

On Vacation: New York City / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 / How Easy Is Getting Admission Into Netherlands Univeristies And Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.