Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,359 members, 7,891,580 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 03:26 PM

Travelling To Canada-part2 - Travel (62) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada-part2 (212916 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (101) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by bamshy: 9:26pm On Apr 27, 2012
Beehandz: Thank you NLs for the encyclopaedia of info pple have shared so far shared on this Canada Visa. You guys are the best

I have admission to Vancouver Island University, BC (GIS Postgrad). Maple Education for my Visa processing. My documents were submitted to CDHC 2weeks ago. So far, I’ve read on this thread pple that got their medical call up in 3weeks and
I’m hoping I will fall into same category by next week.

I have like 10M in my sponsor’s acc which is my sis’s personal coy’s acc and few shares+ 1 landed property estimated @ 25M.

Here are my questions;
I wana believe the 10M+ other little cash is enof for my funding to avoid issues frm CDHC
How soon should I be expecting a reply from the CDHC.

@Lamide11 & Allexy2- I read ur post on the 1st thread of Canada that was closed last year December that you’re in VIU. I will like u to update me on the securing accommodation (peer stay-off campus), and securing job on/off campus and life generally in Nanaimo. Kindly send me a blank mail (Isaiah_beejay@yahoo.co.uk)

@johhnnie- also read on same Canada thread with lamide11 that you r in Vancouver and you have a degree in GIS which is my the course I’m goin for in VIU. I will like u to contact you so you can give me more info about GIS (Isaiah_beejay@yahoo.co.uk)

@bamshy- I read your post on using Maple but you didn’t complete it if you later got the Visa or Not and how fast did CDHC responded to you.kindly inbox me so I can further ask some questions.

@Maple applicants here, kindly inbox me on (Isaiah_beejay@yahoo.co.uk) so we can rub minds

@all visa applicants-With God on our sides, CDHC have no option dan to grant our heart desires

Hi, I didn't use Maple because they seem to only have room and attention for the 'rich'. My medical letter was dated 15days after submission of my application. Just did my medicals this week. Regards
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by bamshy: 9:32pm On Apr 27, 2012
bashtee: @ dipo
I have thought along this line too and i'm looking if i can secure another admission in one of the canadian colleges where i won't have to pay up to the CAD13k humber requires. George brown for ex has a similar course but my CAD application was with my Humber offer. If i get the trv before i pay humber's fees, can i go to a different sch? Or must one go to the sch he applied for try with?

You cant change like that, you will have to resume at humber college,after 6 month that is when you will be able to change school,am not even clear about that you will have to get that info from the school about the change. What course are you going for

I have a bit of the same issue but I wanna go to Humber and I already have the admission. I am not certain the 6month suggestion is correct. Please check the withdrawal policy of Humber as regards refund of fees if you need to pay before your trv. I checked and it appears refund is dependent on visa denial only. For other schools, a charge of CAD1400 is what they take for you withdrawing. Also, the withdrawal notice must be done in writing within a week of resumption date.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by ifegy: 10:43pm On Apr 27, 2012
samdams:

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME OOOH.....ATLEAST SOMEONE SHOULD RESPOND TO MY POST...AM LOOSING HOPE HERE

Dear Nairlander's
i have small trouble with this Canada stuffs oooh...Presently i am in London studying and i will be through by next month and my visa will expire in sept, but i applied for 3 universities and a college in Canada..i got accepted into the college (Seneca college) and also university ( University of Prince Edward island) the other 2 universities are still yet to decide if they gonna take me or not, but here is what am confused about ..the medical thing do i need to go to my GP here in London for them to just write it and give ? do i need to pay the tuition fees before i can apply for the visa ? when is the best time for me to apply for the if i am to go ahead and choose one out of the 2 choices given to me ? and i will like anyone to help me ... Seneca college or Prince Edward university island which will you prefer ?
i am not sponsoring myself can i also include my own statement of account when applying for the visa ? is it okay as a new comer to stay off campus or in the campus since i dont know anyone ? which is more expensive for me to live ? can i pay 2 or 3 months accommodation in advance before i get there ?
Thanks i will need help ...make una help a brother here ooh

Hi Samdams
I'll try to answer some of your q's:
1) You have to demonstrate that you are able to finance your course of study, but you don't have to pay your entire tuition before you apply for the visa. Some pay a portion, some all. If you're going to pay, check with the school re refund policy in case you don't get a visa.

2) Not sure about the GP question. Why not check with the Canadian High Commission? In my past experience, they were pretty decent about responding to my student applicant concerns when I called (high commissions in Europe, I mean).

3) Re when to apply if you choose- the earlier the better, so that you have sufficient time to iron out any follow up issues. If your start date is September, you should have applied by now, or be applying shortly. You should also check as to whether you can apply from the UK, given your visa status & expiry date.

4)Seneca vs Prince Edward: Well, I assume you're going to the Seneca location in Toronto, Ontario. Ontario has the largest economy in Canada, while Prince Edward has one of the smallest. Therefore you'll likely have more opportunities in Ontario. However, you might want to consider what exactly you'll be studying at either place and what type of academic qualification you're getting at the end of the day from Seneca college (is it a diploma, or a bachelor's?) compared to the Univ. Bear in mind you can move from a college to a university while here, transfer between universities, or do a joint program between a college and a univ. For instance, Seneca has some joint programs with York Univ in Toronto.

5)You shouldn't need to show your own statement of account. Again, you can always try clarifying with the high commission.

6) You can stay on or off campus; it's entirely your choice. Most other new students won't know anyone either. You learn as you go. May be best to check if your school's student housing office can give you info about on and off campus housing. Craigslist is also a source of housing availability and pricing info for the area you'll be in (use google maps to check out the locations advertised versus your school location). Also, contact the office for international students at your school. They will have lots of useful info to help you settle in.

7) If you're staying off campus, you'll pay first and last month's rent. In my experience, you can't typically finalize rental arrangements while you're outside the country. On campus tends to be more pricey, compared to what you can typically get off campus.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by samdams: 11:57pm On Apr 27, 2012
@ ifegy: thanks alot, i will contact the college on monday and see if the course they gave me is associated to york uni or not cause they gave me Mechanical Engineering Technician (Tool Design), if that's not a degree then i will have to go to prince edward university cause i am tired of college lol..i am in college here in london and college again in canada they will think this guy doesn't wanna move on or what.. i am also waiting for university of winnipeg to accept me so i will go for that but i think they will start sending acceptance letter in mid May is that gonna be too late for me to apply for the visa by may?
thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by ifegy: 2:08am On Apr 28, 2012
samdams: @ ifegy: thanks alot, i will contact the college on monday and see if the course they gave me is associated to york uni or not cause they gave me Mechanical Engineering Technician (Tool Design), if that's not a degree then i will have to go to prince edward university cause i am tired of college lol..i am in college here in london and college again in canada they will think this guy doesn't wanna move on or what.. i am also waiting for university of winnipeg to accept me so i will go for that but i think they will start sending acceptance letter in mid May is that gonna be too late for me to apply for the visa by may?
thanks

I think you should check with the high commission re applying in May, and to be sure that you can apply from London. Generally speaking, visa applications from Europe take much less time than from Africa, so possibly May should be fine; but you should always be sure to follow the high commission's guidelines.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by lalla89: 9:56am On Apr 28, 2012
@all ,can i go to canada embassy with scan copy acceptance letter if he didnt yet recieve the original copy. Tnx all
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by debco(m): 10:03am On Apr 28, 2012
Can you please tell guidelines on how to secure a job in canada or any europe from Nigeria
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by ebugirl: 10:27am On Apr 28, 2012
@lalla: No, Ɣõu̶̲̥̅̊ Can't use a scanned copy of your acceptance letter. Prior to the arrival of ur leeter, you can get other documents ready. Hope this helps
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by lalla89: 10:42am On Apr 28, 2012
@ebygurl ,thanks but what is deadline to apply for a visa for someone that is going september 5th because i heard that you have to aply 4month before your 1st class
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by ebugirl: 10:55am On Apr 28, 2012
@lalla: on the CDHC website the duration for study permit takes btw 4-6 months.this invariably means for the September applicants, you should have applied or be applying soonest.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by Beehandz(m): 3:09pm On Apr 28, 2012
@ ALL- Pls is there any1 going to Vancouver Island University for this September? Kindly inbox me @ isaiah_beejay@yahoo.co.uk so we can rub minds.
Also, how easy can one secure off campus accomodation in a day or 2 upon arrival in canada coz its might be a dark deal paying for an accomodation you've not seen from here.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by Noswaa: 3:23pm On Apr 28, 2012
@all,my sponsor have landed property but in his wife name,should i take it or will it have any implication.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by gini(f): 4:06pm On Apr 28, 2012
Post secondary school yranscripts is part off the supporting documents required for Canadian study permit application. I graduated from Unilag and from experience during my school application, they do not allow students to handle transcripts but instead post directly to the institution that needs it. My question is in this situation, how do I include my original transcript and one photocopy as is stated as one of the requirements for the visa application. Please this is urgent as I need to put my visa application soon. School starts in 1st week of september. Thank U all.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by dipo1: 4:42pm On Apr 28, 2012
@gini

My school also operates this system of not giving the transcripts to students but posting it to the institution. Usually, students wait till the transcripts is ready to be posted then include all other application documents (application form and all other supporting documents) in the envelope that contains †нє transcripts. This is more or less modus operandi, but this is what i did in my case. I collected my transcripts myself by arranging with the postman. I tipped him and persuaded him to hand over the transcripts to me. Having collected it, i put together all my other documents along with it and went to submit at VAC Ikeja. When I got to VAC and they saw the transcripts in an envelope, they asked me to open the envelope cos the CHDC won't open any envelope that is sealed. So i opened the envelope that UNAAB had put my transcripts, made copies (for myself wink) and submitted.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by bamshy: 5:13pm On Apr 28, 2012
Hello All,
I have been asked by CDHC to pay ALL my fees upfront and submit receipt on or before May 4. I have been able to get the scanned copy from the school but it would take a longer time to receive the hard copy and I am almost at the CDHC deadline. Can I use the scanned copy of the receipt, attach the telex copy and transfer instruction form copy? Hope it's acceptable?
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by snuteria: 5:30pm On Apr 28, 2012
bamshy, goahead and use the scanned copy explain to cdhc, what is going on, so as not to miss the deadline, my friend on this same forum last year did the same and we are both in canada... he even got his visa before the original came, they can always verify...
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by snuteria: 5:34pm On Apr 28, 2012
Please house, no one has responded to my question
a friend`s nigerian passport has a year and half left to expire and he needs to aply for a study permit for a phd in canada, though he is in UK presently, how can he go about it, can it be done on the uk, or abuja, where can he extend this, please i need your response, because he is about applying for a visa now ,,, please your response
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by Noswaa: 5:44pm On Apr 28, 2012
Noswaa: @all,my sponsor have landed property but in his wife name,should i take it or will it have any implication.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by Noswaa: 6:14pm On Apr 28, 2012
snuteria: Please house, no one has responded to my question
a friend`s nigerian passport has a year and half left to expire and he needs to aply for a study permit for a phd in canada, though he is in UK presently, how can he go about it, can it be done on the uk, or abuja, where can he extend this, please i need your response, because he is about applying for a visa now ,,, please your response

passport with expiration of one year and half is very ok for him to get visa to study in canada,but in case he need a new one,he should contact Nigeria High commission in London for that or he return to Nigeria to get it.It may be a bit costly over there but is better than to take flight back to Nigeria.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by gini(f): 6:28pm On Apr 28, 2012
dipo+:
@gini

My school also operates this system of not giving the transcripts to students but posting it to the institution. Usually, students wait till the transcripts is ready to be posted then include all other application documents (application form and all other supporting documents) in the envelope that contains †нє transcripts. This is more or less modus operandi, but this is what i did in my case. I collected my transcripts myself by arranging with the postman. I tipped him and persuaded him to hand over the transcripts to me. Having collected it, i put together all my other documents along with it and went to submit at VAC Ikeja. When I got to VAC and they saw the transcripts in an envelope, they asked me to open the envelope cos the CHDC won't open any envelope that is sealed. So i opened the envelope that UNAAB had put my transcripts, made copies (for myself wink) and submitted.

Ok. Thanks a lot. I may not be able to use your method because my school uses different courier companies who send their staff for pick up. But then you've really helped me a great deal as now I know that the Visa office doesn't mind a transcript that is not in a sealed envelope so I'll apply and let them send to a company where a friend works then I'll pick up from the friend and add it to my application package. Chikena!

So it also means that even the sponsor's bank statement has to be open ie no document should be in a sealed envelope.

Thanks again.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by samdams: 8:11pm On Apr 28, 2012
ifegy:

I think you should check with the high commission re applying in May, and to be sure that you can apply from London. Generally speaking, visa applications from Europe take much less time than from Africa, so possibly May should be fine; but you should always be sure to follow the high commission's guidelines.

Thanks alot , can someone call the embassy to ask them all this? and yes i think can apply from london cause i have a valid visa that will last till i get the student visa , cause i got friends that applied from london and they got the visa without going to nigeria or gambia, if i am not qualify to apply from here the uni or college will inform me .
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by samdams: 8:17pm On Apr 28, 2012
snuteria: Please house, no one has responded to my question

Yes ur friend can renew hes passport in london, cuz thats what i am doing at the moment its just 50$ and u buy postal money order of £20 when ur going to nigeria embassy ..its faster and easy okay.
and in the acceptance letter they cant grant u visa that will be more than ur pasport expiring date. so he should make sure to renew now.
note : if he apply with the current passport he wont get more than 1 yr visa on it.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by dipo1: 9:46pm On Apr 28, 2012
gini:

Ok. Thanks a lot. I may not be able to use your method because my school uses different courier companies who send their staff for pick up. But then you've really helped me a great deal as now I know that the Visa office doesn't mind a transcript that is not in a sealed envelope so I'll apply and let them send to a company where a friend works then I'll pick up from the friend and add it to my application package. Chikena!

So it also means that even the sponsor's bank statement has to be open ie no document should be in a sealed envelope.

Thanks again.

You are welcome. But I should also let you know that like it is done in my alma mater, the school will specifically print the name of the institution that you asked them to send your transcripts to on your transcripts. In other words, if you asked that your transcripts be sent to XYZ consultants, XYZ consultants will be printed on the transcript. So except you are sure your school doesn't do the same thing in printing transcripts (which i doubt), or you are OK with sending transcripts initially printed for a different institution to the CDHC (which is stupid), u should reconsider.

concerning the part in bold, my alma mater also uses different couriers who send their staff too. I explained to the staff for the courier I had selected to send my transcripts to CHDC, and he gave me the transcripts (not without a promise of secrecy from me and some tip)
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by ebugirl: 10:21pm On Apr 28, 2012
@dipo: what if the transcript is addressed to CDHC? how does that sound? cos i instructed my school to do dat.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by dipo1: 11:13pm On Apr 28, 2012
ebugirl: @dipo: what if the transcript is addressed to CDHC? how does that sound? cos i instructed my school to do dat.

you are on the right track
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by gini(f): 11:51pm On Apr 28, 2012
dipo+:

You are welcome. But I should also let you know that like it is done in my alma mater, the school will specifically print the name of the institution that you asked them to send your transcripts to on your transcripts. In other words, if you asked that your transcripts be sent to XYZ consultants, XYZ consultants will be printed on the transcript. So except you are sure your school doesn't do the same thing in printing transcripts (which i doubt), or you are OK with sending transcripts initially printed for a different institution to the CDHC (which is stupid), u should reconsider.

concerning the part in bold, my alma mater also uses different couriers who send their staff too. I explained to the staff for the courier I had selected to send my transcripts to CHDC, and he gave me the transcripts (not without a promise of secrecy from me and some tip)

Thanks. Wouldn't do anything stupid to jeopardise my Visa. My school only writes the name of the institution requesting the transcript on the first page of it which is just a letter addressed to the institution stating that its your transcript and that its a conffidential document that shouldn't be released to you.

The thing is during my canadian school application, I needed my transcript cos a school requested a scanned copy which my school doesn't do. A staff in my school whom I approached for help told me she can't give me my transcript but that the best she can do is the plan I said in my previous post. She said that's what intl applicants do. The only thing is to just detach the first page letter and the other pages containing your transcript is still valid cos the registrars signature is appended on all pages. Besides, the embassies and intl institutions are no fools and will always check back at the school to verify the document. The most important thing is that the document is not falsified.

Thanks for ur concern.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by earthgreeners(m): 12:31am On Apr 29, 2012
dipo+:
@gini

what dept, i also grad frm UNAAB...i need to get my transcript
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by ifegy: 4:24am On Apr 29, 2012
samdams:

Thanks alot , can someone call the embassy to ask them all this? and yes i think can apply from london cause i have a valid visa that will last till i get the student visa , cause i got friends that applied from london and they got the visa without going to nigeria or gambia, if i am not qualify to apply from here the uni or college will inform me .

There is no harm in calling or emailing to ask questions. Also check their website as they'll usually put info for student applicants on there.

Just to be clear re my reference to applying from London- you typically have to have legal residence in the country where you are applying for a visa, if it is not your home country, which is why I mentioned making sure you are qualified to apply for the visa since you are outside your home country.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by ifegy: 4:28am On Apr 29, 2012
Beehandz: @ ALL- Pls is there any1 going to Vancouver Island University for this September? Kindly inbox me @ isaiah_beejay@yahoo.co.uk so we can rub minds.
Also, how easy can one secure off campus accomodation in a day or 2 upon arrival in canada coz its might be a dark deal paying for an accomodation you've not seen from here.

Regarding the accommodation question, two suggestions:
1) you might be able to arrange a homestay, where you essentially live in someone's home. It's typically pricey, but at least you have a place to stay once you arrive, and you can use the first month to find your own place, and then move out. Try googling for homestay on the island.
2)Start searching for accommodation listings on craigslist for the area. You might be able to work out something with the landlord before or shortly arrive you arrive.
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by bamshy: 6:46am On Apr 29, 2012
Obamacare: I was surprise when I read your post. Did you mean a semester fee or all tuition fees for the program? Thanks

ALL. CAD19,900. I TRIP SEF. SHO! grin
Re: Travelling To Canada-part2 by bamshy: 6:49am On Apr 29, 2012
snuteria: bamshy, goahead and use the scanned copy explain to cdhc, what is going on, so as not to miss the deadline, my friend on this same forum last year did the same and we are both in canada... he even got his visa before the original came, they can always verify...

THANK YOU.

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (101)

How Easy Is Getting Admission Into Netherlands Univeristies And Visa / On Vacation: New York City / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.