Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,165 members, 7,903,853 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 July 2024 at 10:26 PM

So They Never Really Loved MKO - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / So They Never Really Loved MKO (17782 Views)

MKO Abiola International Airport Will Be Ready Next Year- Osun Government / Mubashiru Abiola Is Dead (MKO Abiola's Younger Brother) / MKO Abiola: How He Died - Dr Ore Falomo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Kobojunkie: 2:08pm On May 30, 2012
adolfe bad:

Listen. . it is not about one HERO and his greatness.
it is about the deception.
the political motives behind such moves.
people are faaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr wiser now and you cant use their live for a HERO to delude them anymore.

UNILAG is a BRAND, MKO is another BRAND. they dont mix.

If they want to impress people, let them name the Lagos State house of assembly after MKO.

You are not told to mix brands here so stop arguing like a worm. You are told to re-name one brand with another that is supposedly better. The resistance questions the better-ness of the new brand to the original.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by kasperone8: 2:09pm On May 30, 2012
PapaBrowne:

If you can show me anywhere I used the word Yoruba in my post,then you can fault me. I wrote South Westerners and in my humble opinion that represents geographical residents of the South Western Region. Be they Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba et al. In the crowd of UNILAG students, there are different tribes and ethnicities. I give more credence to geographical descriptions than ethnic or tribal affiliations. My take is ethnicity and tribe should be described in historical and cultural contexts.

The article below motivated my post.
Hmmmm papabrowne,when did South westerners start having the same meaning as residents of the south western region? shocked

3 Likes

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Olaolufred(m): 2:09pm On May 30, 2012
Baawaa: Assuming GEJ first splash the school fee by 35% and now change the name believing me,no protest,no hullabaloo.But he(GEJ) has nothing to offer,he just want to get point politically!

THANK YOU.
HE DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING UPSTAIRS TO IMPROVE OUR LIVING STANDARD.
LOOKING FOR ROMANCE WITH THE WEST TOWARDS HIS 2015.
A FAILURE IN PRIMARY ONE LOOKING FOR ALL MEANS TO BE PROMOTED.
YOU MAY DO YOUR WORSE NOW BROTHER JOE,because THERE WILL BE NO SECOND CHANCE FOR YOU .
REST IN OTUOKE AFTER THE EXPIRATION OF YOUR 4 YEARS.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by durobraham(f): 2:09pm On May 30, 2012
papatosibe:

Absolutely. Just as how they changed University of Lagos medical School to College of Medicine of the University of Lagos in 1967

Absolutely Ko absolutely ni. Unlike a military head of state, a democratic president does not have the power to make laws, only the Nat assembly has the power to change the name of a university established by law. Many lawyers have said this, its all over the news haba!

1 Like

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by aljharem(m): 2:10pm On May 30, 2012
durobraham:
[size=18pt]Absolutely Ko absolutely ni. Unlike a military head of state, a democratic president does not have the power to make laws, only the Nat assembly has the power to change the name of a university established by law. Many lawyers have said this, its all over the news haba![/size]

I tire
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Reference(m): 2:10pm On May 30, 2012
Sayfat: To the proponent and the supporters of gej imbecilic n moronic renaming of unilag, u r all suffering from political history amnesia. Was the name abiola synonymous to academic? What was his contribution to educational sector while he was alive? Must we play politics with everything? Does gej embarked on due consultation before he arrived at his illogical calculation of renaming unilag after a supposed hero of democraZy? ABIOLA was known as political martry, politics was his immediate constituency, so , if he should be immortalised at all ASO ROCK sud be name after him n not our cherished citadel of learning(unilag) a place i doubt he ever visited when he was alive. If you care to know, the political haters of abiola is at work in collaboration with gej to cast aspersion on what so ever this 'political hero' myt av achieved. NAIJA lets think.

Ah, if you don't know what Abiola contributed to education, what he spent on universities and what he gave to UNILAG? in particular, then you must be too young to scope this thread properly.

Take it from me, I have major issues with MKO but this is a recognition for his role in the take-off of democracy, no more, no less.

To those who say the name is a prestigious, well known brand and as such should not be touched, how I wish the man honoured took the money, dissolved his party and went home. Most certainly no one today will be calling the military government names.

In those days the ivory towers were symbols of the quest for democracy, today they cannot even sacrifice pride to honour it. Superior brand name indeed.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by wyt(m): 2:12pm On May 30, 2012
i have always back GEJ on this isue, but if he had consulted UNN or NDIGBO for the renaming of UNN after OJUKWU, and he(GEJ) listened to them, then, something is behind GEJ's atitude in UNILAG isue. but in all, the SW hate GEJ die, this is not a big isue, their hatred to GEJ is the koko!
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by zunnurain1: 2:16pm On May 30, 2012
lipsrsealed... Hummm, is now clear that dey love MKO which dey claim to be hero. So sad.....
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by ifeci: 2:22pm On May 30, 2012
Excuse me but the rejection has everything to do with the worth placed on the individual MKO. This protest in essence asks the question "Who the hell is MKO that UNILAG should be re-named in his honor?".

Sure, maybe he is not hated but the issue remains do they think he is worthy of having, of all schools, UNILAG renamed after him.

well, u seem to get it wrong, nobody's argument as far as i have followed this issue has mentioned or questioned the worth or personality of MKO. no one has said "who the hell is MKO" or questioned his legacy. He is a legacy no doubt so is Unilag; so why replace/extinct one legacy at the expense of another? both can exist side by side if properly planned.

1 Like

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Demdem(m): 2:22pm On May 30, 2012
wyt: i have always back GEJ on this isue, but if he had consulted UNN or NDIGBO for the renaming of UNN after OJUKWU, and he(GEJ) listened to them, then, something is behind GEJ's atitude in UNILAG isue. but in all, the SW hate GEJ die, this is not a big isue, their hatred to GEJ is the koko!

i disagree, its his policies and stupidities the SW hates not him. That exactly is the koko.

1 Like

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by aljharem(m): 2:26pm On May 30, 2012
Demdem:

i disagree, its his policies and stupidities the SW hates not him. That exactly is the koko.

Thank you, the way they (they know themselves) try to push this hate on us is really amazing
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by AZeD1(m): 2:27pm On May 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Abiola was no Political Hero. He was just a man who was stabbed in the back by those who he believed were his friends. He was one of the few Nigerians who enjoyed fame and fortune during the IBB era, well, until almost the end of it. Yes, Abiola was friends with IBB and Abacha, until June 12th happened. So let's stop creating silly labels. Nigerians and their selective Amnesia . . .o ga !
God bless you..
Was MKO really fighting for the common man or to be the looter in chief?
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Kobojunkie: 2:28pm On May 30, 2012
ifeci:

well, u seem to get it wrong, nobody's argument as far as i have followed this issue has mentioned or questioned the worth or personality of MKO. no one has said "who the hell is MKO" or questioned his legacy. He is a legacy no doubt so is Unilag; so why replace/extinct one legacy at the expense of another? both can exist side by side if properly planned.

Whether someone comes out to say it or not, is not the point.

The point is at the end of the day, this resistance is on whether MKO is worth having UNILAG named after him or not. Or you could say on whether UNILAG will be the same after it gets the new ID Moshood Abiola University. This is about the name and what it means. Like so many have said up to this point. This is not the first time in history of Nigeria or the world that this has been done.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Nobody: 2:30pm On May 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Notice how you continue to attack my person rather than PRESENT EVIDENCE TO COUNTER ANY OF WHAT I HAVE SAID.

P.S. My GrandFather did not know more about Nigerian politicians than I do. That is evidenced in the fact that much of the truth was hidden from his generation, and the generation after him, until more recently.

We are the generation living in the information age, and we have a duty to serve the truth, not the Politicians and criminals in power.

Abiola bilked Nigeria of Millions of Dollars. Fela tried his best to reveal this to all but as expected, people like you and your parents selectively chose to listen to only that, that soothed their mindset. Thank God for the internet, baboons like you can no longer claim ignorance is your RIGHT.

You say he probably touched more lives in his lifetime, but I am sure if I asked you for exact details on the number, you would be lost,clueless because you are here regurgitating what you were fed by other sycophants around you. I know of the scholarships he doled out but only a hand full of Nigerians got those.
I can however tell you with evidence that the money Abiola bilked Nigerians of could have touched millions more lives than the Naira notes he doled out to the poor in scholarship money, could have. If not for the millions of dollars he took from their future,(Fela sang of this by the way), those same poor Nigerians, along with millions others, would have had better opportunities than they currently do.

Now my assignment for you is that you EMPLOY GOOGLE search. Use it to educate yourself on the events that led up to June 12th and how Abiola cannot now be labelled a Hero when he was part of the decay that led to the problems of June 12th to begin with.

The events that led up to june 12 happened before my eyes.
While you were still a toddler playing with SOIL.

ABIOLA is vastly established and let me make it clear to you now as every one else reads that those petty cowardly claims of Abiola stealing funds have no sordid foundation. They as expected were cooked and watered by oppositions.
ABIOLA began his journey like DANGOTE.

no one whispered an ISH when he got chatered overseas, began his career as an accounted, rose to to as vice president of his company, then went solo into private establishments, farms, oil, airlines, telecommunications etc.

He GREW before the the eyes of every one before bad belle opposition began to spread as expected TALES about him.
And you dwell and swim in these tales.

Let me ask you if you are WISE. . .
What is the major characteristic a government fund thief exhibits?
What do you find common in all of them?

Do you have the answer?

Now FOLLOW ABIOLA's life. . .

Did he exhibit it? HUGE NO!!!!

He was ready to DIE spending and helping anyone and everyone.
What selfish government thief does that?

Listen GANJA-jinkie. . .
ADOLFE existed way before GOOGLE came, and so did ABIOLA's history.

if you believe these confusionist theories you get from google about that HERO then you are a CRINGODYT

he remains a HERO.

Sometimes you have to use common sense to analyse what you are fed. . .
FELA is outspokenly fearless. . .he dosnt code anything.
he comes out and blows in right into your face like he did to IBB, OBJ, soldiers e. t. c
Most of his fans are religious but he openly criticised religion in his songs. . .without fear of losing them, and sales.

so what makes you think if he had anything against ABIOLA he wouldnt make a loud album out of it?
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by ballabriggs: 2:30pm On May 30, 2012
Jonathan has the worst aides. This attempt to court the Yoruba people using Abiola and UNILAG is dumb. You cannot court the Yoruba people with Abiola the same way you did to the Igbo people with Ojukwu. The Yoruba's are smarter. Stop this divisive strategy and sack the likes of Oronto Douglas, Uranta, Omokri and all the rogues that add no value to your thought.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Reference(m): 2:31pm On May 30, 2012
When he MKO was battling Sani was there any legislature to do stuff. He fought for the establishment of the legislature. They owe him and will make an exception on this error but it is surprising why this issue cannot cross party lines and garner even the least sympathy from Nigerians. I agree with a poster. The best 'brand' meets the criteria. All of us left should feel the pain of our bruised ego and make the necessary sacrifices. I think this is more honourable. I am not against politicization but certain things transcend them. GEJ has many, many other sockets of faults for the opposition to plug into.

1 Like

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Nobody: 2:35pm On May 30, 2012
UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS IS A FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, ESTABLISHED AND FUNDED BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HAS RIGHT TO RENAME HER 50 YRS (PROPERTY) UNIVERSITY INTO ANY NAME SHE FEELS LIKE. STUDENTS AND LECTURERS WHO ARE NOT HAPPY WITH NAME CHANGE CAN PROCEED TO LASU

1 Like

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by hallmark77: 2:42pm On May 30, 2012
South West love MKO and dont be decieved by the protest,Abiola deserve more than that and all the students that died during the june 12 saga deserve more.The OP is just been stupid and looking for cheap smear but dont worry when the Boko Boys finally kill your guy then they can give him equal treatment.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Kobojunkie: 2:44pm On May 30, 2012
Reference: When he MKO was battling Sani was there any legislature to do stuff. He fought for the establishment of the legislature. They owe him and will make an exception on this error but it is surprising why this issue cannot cross party lines and garner even the least sympathy from Nigerians. I agree with a poster. The best 'brand' meets the criteria. All of us left should feel the pain of our bruised ego and make the necessary sacrifices. I think this is more honourable. I am not against politicization but certain things transcend them. GEJ has many, many other sockets of faults for the opposition to plug into.

He fought for the establishment of the legislature? When? undecided undecided undecided
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Venchy: 2:44pm On May 30, 2012
@papabrowne or whatever you called yourself, Federal Government FUND so many things but that doesn't mean they can impose their wish on the citizen.

It's completely barbaric not to consult the school Authority or throw a proposal before exercising their MUMU power, the English prime minister will not wake up from his dream and decided to Change OXFORD UNIVERSITY to WINSTON CHURCHILL .....A BRAND NAME name never change without any major problem, this are LANDMARKS, LAGOS is a world wide brand.

It seems there's a sin in this country, we have serious issue on ground to talk about this foolish people always love to deviate.
JONATHAN RASCLAT as the Jamaican will say, Nigerians need ELECTRICITY, GOOD ROAD and jobs not all this Crap.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by joshuapharm(m): 2:44pm On May 30, 2012
@adolfe..wat u said about abiola..two years ago..my lecturer was teaching before he branched into abiola's gist..he spoke about his generosity and how people liked him...and u ethnic bigots that think abiola doesnt deserve this..even if its true that he stole..at least he gave back to the society..wat has jonathan given to us..its all about fake and unseen achievements in his democracy day speech..he keeps promising and there is notin to show for it..

personally..am not happy with it name change cos (1). i think Abiola deserves more..a national property would be better (2). unilag is d wrong choice..unaab or even u.i would just do..gawd!!! do u know d meaning of brand it didnt take a year to create a strong one like dat u know...

@beaf is back with his usual show of unparalled ignomitious stupidity..
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by larek14: 2:46pm On May 30, 2012
any yoruba man or woman that is against this name change is A BASTARD AND A HYPOCRITE as i do not understand this anymore; during june 12 we all cried ''on june12 we stand'', and i'm so surprised at what this name change is generating now.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Demdem(m): 2:47pm On May 30, 2012
LeoMax: UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS IS A FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, ESTABLISHED AND FUNDED BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HAS RIGHT TO RENAME HER 50 YRS (PROPERTY) UNIVERSITY INTO ANY NAME SHE FEELS LIKE. STUDENTS AND LECTURERS WHO ARE NOT HAPPY WITH NAME CHANGE CAN PROCEED TO LASU

and who owns the FG? is it not the people? The people says they dont want it, why force it down their throats? why didnt he force Ojukwu University down the throats of stakeholders in UNN?

https://www.nairaland.com/824835/don-t-name-unn-after
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Demdem(m): 2:49pm On May 30, 2012
larek14: any yoruba man or woman that is against this name change is A BASTARD AND A HYPOCRITE as i do not understand this anymore; during june 12 we all cried ''on june12 we stand'', and i'm so surprised at what this name change is generating now.

back to sender with immediate alacrity. so shall it be
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Beaf: 2:49pm On May 30, 2012
Baawaa: Assuming GEJ first splash the school fee by 35% and now change the name believing me,no protest,no hullabaloo.But he(GEJ) has nothing to offer,he just want to get point politically!

My broda, how do you "splash" school fee's? Ayam just asking o!
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Nobody: 2:52pm On May 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:

You are not told to mix brands here so stop arguing like a worm. You are told to re-name one brand with another that is supposedly better. The resistance questions the better-ness of the new brand to the original.

He already has a polytechnic in his native town to his name.

why stretch people and ask them to give up a STRONG name for another?

in the context of the academic world the name UNILAG appears stronger than MKO.

But this is politics. Dont you think people would quickly accept it if they named the busiest hall in aso rock after him or some other political establishment.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Kobojunkie: 2:53pm On May 30, 2012
larek14: any yoruba man or woman that is against this name change is A BASTARD AND A HYPOCRITE as i do not understand this anymore; during june 12 we all cried ''on june12 we stand'', and i'm so surprised at what this name change is generating now.

You are an eejit!
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by sammirano: 2:53pm On May 30, 2012
@Poster, are you minding UNILAG kids who don't known anything as at the life of MKO but were unfortunate to hear bad stories regarding the philanthropist.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by larek14: 2:53pm On May 30, 2012
i am a yoruba myself and do not really understand the rationale behind all these unnecessary controversy.
i do not like GEJ but i guess this is the best thing he's done all his life as president and commander in chief. Tell me what's in name?
when ds man was alive he spent part of his wealth on the downtrodden and students and educational institutions across the country and this is what he gets as a result?
this country is not worth dying for at all.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by sammirano: 2:55pm On May 30, 2012
adolfe bad:

He already has a polytechnic in his native town to his name.

why stretch people and ask them to give up a STRONG name for another?

in the context of the academic world the name UNILAG appears stronger than MKO.

But this is politics. Dont you think people would quickly accept it if they named the busiest hall in aso rock after him or some other political establishment.

what are you talking about, Unilag name not affiliated with anything significant, that is changing now

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Tinubu’s Rousing Speech At The ACN Convention / Alaibe, Other APC Chieftains Defect To PDP In Bayelsa / Soldiers Brutalise El-rufai In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.