Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,857 members, 7,938,509 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 07:55 AM

So They Never Really Loved MKO - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / So They Never Really Loved MKO (17815 Views)

MKO Abiola International Airport Will Be Ready Next Year- Osun Government / Mubashiru Abiola Is Dead (MKO Abiola's Younger Brother) / MKO Abiola: How He Died - Dr Ore Falomo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Kobojunkie: 2:56pm On May 30, 2012
sammirano: @Poster, are you minding UNILAG kids who don't known anything as at the life of MKO but were unfortunate to hear bad stories regarding the philanthropist.

You mean this Philanthropist?

The story of Abiola’s life is a classic rags to riches story that could be a Hollywood film. He was born into poverty in a large family. His birth came after a series of failed pregnancies, still born children and infant deaths in his family. He eventually attended the famous Baptist Boys High School in his home town of Abeokuta, in Ogun State. Former President Olusegun Obasanjo is another alumnus of that school. Afterward he studied accountancy at the University of Glasgow in Scotland. He then worked with the multi-national pharmaceutical company Pfizer.[size=13pt] [b]However Abiola made his name and riches when he joined the telecommunications company International Telegraph and Telephone (ITT). Abiola eventually became the chairman of ITT and via series of cordial relations with key army officers, Abiola amassed so much wealth, influence and fame that he once boasted of being the richest African on Earth.

Two of Abiola’s closest military friends were then Minister of Communications Brigadier Murtala Muhammed and Lt-Col Ibrahim Babangida. Abiola met Babangida in 1974 when Abiola was selling radio systems to the military. Babangida was sent to evaluate the quality of devices being sold by Abiola. According to Babangida “From that time the relationship developed and he was always around”. Abiola also met Brigadier Muhammed after bravely confronting Muhammed over a series of debts owed to Abiola’s company by Muhammed’s Communications Ministry. The normally fearsome and ruthless Muhammed was impressed by Abiola’s courage and the two struck up a friendship. With Babangida and Muhammed eventually becoming Heads of State, Abiola exploited his relationship with them to secure extensive patronage via contracts with the government and became spectacularly rich in the process. His business empire grew massively as did his bank account balance, number of wives, concubines and children.[/b]
[/size]

http://maxsiollun./2008/06/02/what-if-abiola-had-become-president/
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Beaf: 2:58pm On May 30, 2012
adolfe bad:

Even your grand father cannot claim to know more about the politics of Abiola than ADOLFE does.
[/b]I have told you to forget about whatever transpired between MKO and IBB.
[b]Everyone cuts one corner or the other
and I'm not sitting here to discuss with you about tales of conspiracy and betrayal.
I'm discussing the life of a HERO.
I'm showing you the reason MKO is a proclaimed hero.

I will give you an assignment now LIKE your teachers do.
Search through the history of Nigeria back and forth, from cover to cover and name any PHILANTROPIST like MKO you find.
He funded over 60 secondary schools, built over 100 mosques and churches in the nation, has over 150 traditional titles bestowed on him from different communities all over the country, he built libraries, his boreholes provided free water for tons of people.
HE gave money to people in need resiliently like free wine,
or have you forgotten so soon that ABIOLA bookshop he built where people who could not buy a book could go and get for free?

HE probably touched more people in his lifetime than a combination of you and your grand father(pls no offense) has done.

And you wonder why people rallied round and supported him in mass?
You wonder where that CHARISMA came from that even village people loved and wanted him?

Listen here GANJA-JUNKIE. . .

If there is any HERO you want in times like this, who would touch so many lives directly, he is someone LIKE MKO ABIOLA.
A PHILANTROPIST passionate to just keep helping and helping people.
He is more than a HERO.

Tell them, bro. We didn't get out on the streets to risk our lives for a man without essence.
MKO was a very great man that touched many lives in ways no individual has in the annals of Nigeria.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Nobody: 3:01pm On May 30, 2012
joshuapharm: @adolfe..wat u said about abiola..two years ago..my lecturer was teaching before he branched into abiola's gist..he spoke about his generosity and how people liked him...and u ethnic bigots that think abiola doesnt deserve this..even if its true that he stole..at least he gave back to the society..wat has jonathan given to us..its all about fake and unseen achievements in his democracy day speech..he keeps promising and there is notin to show for it..

personally..am not happy with it name change cos (1). i think Abiola deserves more..a national property would be better (2). unilag is d wrong choice..unaab or even u.i would just do..gawd!!! do u know d meaning of brand it didnt take a year to create a strong one like dat u know...

@beaf is back with his usual show of unparalled ignomitious stupidity..

you are right and I'm greatly dissapointed in Jonathan.

He was once a lecturer in the academic world.
He of all people should know what strong ACADEMIC BRAND should not be replaced with political ones.

Its not his fault. He has been feeding on the same table with sneaky devils.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by inene: 3:02pm On May 30, 2012
I DONT SEE THE BIG DEAL IN NAMING UNILAG AFTER MKO ABIOLA. WE WOULDNT BE CELEBRATING 13 YEARS OF DEMOCRACY IF ABIOLA WASNT KILLED IN AN EFFORT TO KILL THE JUNE 12 1993 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION WHICH HE WON WITHOUT A SHADOW OF DOUBT. HIS CLASSMATE WHO REAPED FROM HIS DEATH BY THE CONCESSION GRANTED BY THE REST OF NIGERIA TO THE YORUBA PEOPLE TO PRODUCE THE NEXT PRESIDENT TO ASSUAGE THEIR ANGER OVER ABIOLA'S DEATH. IN EIGHT YEARS OBASANJO REJECTED ALL ENTREATIES TO HONOUR ABIOLA. IF HE HAD DONE THE RIGHT THING MAYBE JONATHAN WOULD HAVE RENAMED UNILAG AFTER ABIOLA. UNILAG IS A BRAND AS SOME HAVE ARGUED BUT ABIOLA WAS AN ICON BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY HE PAID THE SUPREME PRICE FOR DEMOCRACY AND NOTHING CAN BE TOO MUCH FOR HIM. LET US NOT FORGET THAT THE BIGGEST AND BUSIEST AIRPORT IN USA WAS NAMED AFTER THE LATE AMERICAN PRESIDENT, JOHN FRITZGERALD KENNEDY. THERE IS NOTHING TO CONDENM PRESIDENT FOR THE HONOUR DONE TO ABIOLA. FOR ME, MAY 29TH SHOULD HAVE BEEN RENAMED ABIOLA DAY WITH A PUBLIC HOLIDAY OR SHIFT DEMOCRACY DAY TO JUNE 12. WE SHOULD APPLAUD THE PRESIDENT RATHER THAN VILIFY HIM.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Kobojunkie: 3:02pm On May 30, 2012
Nigerian hopeful is one of a kind
The Washington Times - Tuesday, June 15, 1993
Author: REUTERS

Educated as a chartered accountant at Britain's Glasgow University, he joined the U.S. International Telephone and Telegraph Corp. in 1969.

[size=13pt]He was ITT's vice president for Africa and the Middle East in 1971.

When he retired from the company in 1988, he was a target for critics who painted him as the unacceptable face of Western imperialism in Africa.
[/size]

But Mr. Abiola went on to become a leading pan-Africanist and has been honored for his work by some of black Africa's top institutions.

During the campaign, in which he showed an occasional intolerance of criticism, Mr. Abiola proclaimed an ability to pull Nigeria through testing times.

Aides say his cure for Nigeria's crumbling, oil-dependent economy will be authoritarianism with an emphasis on big business.

[size=13pt]Mr. Abiola has had his eyes on the presidency since the late 1970s when he failed to win the nomination for the right-wing National Party of Nigeria in the 1979-83 republic.

He became disillusioned with feudalism in the NPN hierarchy, overthrown in a 1983 army coup.
[/size]

Caption: Photo, Moshood Abiola is expected to be the next president of Nigeria., By Reuters
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by edicolove: 3:05pm On May 30, 2012
I am really enjoying this whole saga and it has far reaching implications for South West in particular and Nigeria in general. The south west has just been laid bare today. Al Mustafa said it and they said he was wrong. He said Abiola was betrayed by his people and they said he was mad. He is smiling big in his prison cell right now. Fully justified.

The south west has just created a massive divide today and the rest of us are watching. I was at the newspaper stand to buy the morning paper and several Yoruba peeps were really livid. One man kept shouting that he is an Alumni of UNILAG and that Abiola fully deserved it and the protests and criticism was a total disgrace and betrayal to Abiola by the south west.

I am waiting for South West to come out in 2 weeks time and tell us we should all celebrate June 12. It will be very funny indeed.

2 Likes

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Demdem(m): 3:07pm On May 30, 2012
Beaf:

Tell them, bro. We didn't get out on the streets to risk our lives for a man without essence.
MKO was a very great man that touched many lives in ways no individual has in the annals of Nigeria.

So u did this with me and u are still in the business of sucking the Retardeen's arse constantly. Na wa for u ooo. U remind me of baba gana kingibe.

1 Like

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Nobody: 3:08pm On May 30, 2012
jason123: Ndigbo, I apologise for using you as an example.

Papabrowne, rather I think you exposed your hypocrisy.

A few months ago, the University of Nigeria, Nnsuka was about to be renamed after Ojukwu or Nnamdi (not sure which it was). The Igbo kicked against it, no one said the Igbo hates them. Now the Yorubas are doing the same and you brand them hypocrites??

Mister, search your heart well and find out what is biting you.

UNN was personally built by ZIK of Africa and yet he said he doesnt want the name to be change to his or any other person, we the JGBOs respects our Elders wishes, not even the WARLORD himself EZE-GBURUGBURU will make us dis-respect ZIK word.
All I want in this forum, is for YORUBAS to agree that MKO does not worth such a recognition, maybe because he was once and ITT and i will personally tell Jonathan to revert the name sharp sharp cool cool
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Beaf: 3:11pm On May 30, 2012
joshuapharm: @beaf is back with his usual show of unparalled ignomitious stupidity..

What is your problem? Do you deslike MKO? That is who I have been rooting for.

Do you feel bad that I carried out demonstrations and doggedly fought for Abiola and June 12?
Do you acquire emotional gangrene, because I proclaim that MKO worth is not something for silly people to compare to their ego's and what they call their "brand?"
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Kobojunkie: 3:13pm On May 30, 2012
edicolove:
I am waiting for South West to come out in 2 weeks time and tell us we should all celebrate June 12. It will be very funny indeed.

This is what irks me of how some of you folks think. Celebrating June 12 has little to do with the man Abiola, but the fact that Nigerians across the Nation STOOD UP to fight for their right to a democracy. That is what June 12th was about.

The riots that followed, led mostly by the agberos and ignorant Abiola blind bats, should not be used to taint June 12th and what it really meant for Nigeria as a whole.

I protested June 12th as well. I stood against the annulment of the people's decision, not on behalf of any man, but on behalf of the Nation and it's future. Please get it right. June 12th is not about Abiola but about a Nation standing against in protest against a decision made by the establishment to deny them their right to choose.

1 Like

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Beaf: 3:15pm On May 30, 2012
Demdem:

So u did this with me and u are still in the business of sucking the Retardeen's arse constantly. Na wa for u ooo. U remind me of baba gana kingibe.

But today, you think MKO's name is not worth it and university's old name was a "brand" and "legacy" that is worth more than MKO's.
Shame on you.
Dude, I am not a hypocrite like you. I was for MKO, then and I am now.

We stopped an armoured column under Palmgrove bridge, unarmed, but believing; many of us died. You are a hypocrite, bro.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by RoadStar: 3:17pm On May 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:

This is what irks me of how some of you folks think. Celebrating June 12 has little to do with the man Abiola, but the fact that Nigerians across the Nation STOOD UP to fight for their right to a democracy. That is what June 12th was about.

The riots that followed, led mostly by the agberos and ignorant Abiola blind bats, should not be used to taint June 12th and what it really meant for Nigeria as a whole.

I protested June 12th as well. I stood against the annulment of the people's decision, not on behalf of any man, but on behalf of the Nation and it's future. Please get it right. June 12th is not about Abiola but about a Nation standing against in protest against a decision made by the establishment to deny them their right to choose.
So you've answered the question, no one really loves MKO ...
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Kobojunkie: 3:19pm On May 30, 2012
RoadStar:
So you've answered the question, no one really loves MKO ...

I didn't know that I was every man to you? undecided undecided undecided
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Chinom(m): 3:21pm On May 30, 2012
Great or not, philanthropist ot not MKO does not deserve to have Unilag named after him. It's like asking Igbos to accept renaming UNN to Orji Uzor Kalu university. He is a philanthropist too. And they both stole our money conniving with the military men. UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS IT SHOULD BE.period.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Demdem(m): 3:24pm On May 30, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

UNN was personally built by ZIK of Africa and yet he said he doesnt want the name to be change to his or any other person, we the JGBOs respects our Elders wishes, not even the WARLORD himself EZE-GBURUGBURU will make us dis-respect ZIK word.
All I want in this forum, is for YORUBAS to agree that MKO does not worth such a recognition, maybe because he was once and ITT and i will personally tell Jonathan to revert the name sharp sharp cool cool

The same great ZIK of africa wanted Nigeria to be one remember, did u guys later stick to that or not? why Biafra again?
Abegii spare me ur trash.
Thanks.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Nobody: 3:26pm On May 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:

KOBO-EMPTY

Tell the next person beside you that ADOLFE says you are a DONGA!!!

Is this what you have against MKO?

This only who proves that he's an INTELLIGENT PIECE OF A BUSINESSMAN.

Look here Donga. . .
If you are the leading businessman in Africa today, you would be be doing business with Nigeria like Dangote does and definitely you would have some sort of business relationship and agreement with the president.

So where in this post of yours is the proof of the accusation that he looted funds?
He was a contractor and won contracts with the government like you pray to do.

You have been flawed helplessly with these nonsense you keep bringing up to taint the deeeeeeeply rooted image of a self made HERO.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Kobojunkie: 3:27pm On May 30, 2012
Chinom: Great or not, philanthropist ot not MKO does not deserve to have Unilag named after him. It's like asking Igbos to accept renaming UNN to Orji Uzor Kalu university. He is a philanthropist too. And they both stole our money conniving with the military men. UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS IT SHOULD BE.period.

I am with you. grin
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Demdem(m): 3:29pm On May 30, 2012
Beaf:

But today, you think MKO's name is not worth it and university's old name was a "brand" and "legacy" that is worth more than MKO's.
Shame on you.

Nop, no one said that liar. Infact, i would have love a situation whereby Aso Villa is named after him and Democracy day now June 12 instead of what OBJ imposed on us.

Dude, I am not a hypocrite like you. I was for MKO, then and I am now.

Delighted to know u were once on the good side.

We stopped an armoured column under Palmgrove bridge, unarmed, but believing; many of us died. You are a hypocrite, bro.

And to think that u supported the retardeen's deployment of soldiers to innocent protesters in Lagos in January beats my imagination. Bros, u fit lie oooo grin grin grin
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Guyman02: 3:33pm On May 30, 2012
Oga Jona, abeg build something else and name it after the democracy icon MKO. UNILAG has become a unique brand that some of us who schooled in better schools still rever that name UNILAG. Its like the US Govt renaming the Masserchussets Institute of Technology (MIT) to George Bush Institute of Technology (GBIT) or jibiti.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Sedar(m): 3:34pm On May 30, 2012
UNILAG renamed Moshood Abiola University (MAU)....so? Is this d first University being renamed? Uni Ife became OAU, OSU became OOU, BSU, became AAU, OSUTECH became LAUTECH(thank God!), and the world didn't come to an end then, so y d hullabaloo about UNILAG becomin MAU?? Or d name nor get swag ni?.. Lol.. This same UniLag students went out enmasse to protest the annulment of the June 12 elections in 1993, y are they now protesting the honoring of the same man they fought for 20yrs ago?? How soon people forget... Make una just Meche onu nd embrace ur new name.... Greatest
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Sedar(m): 3:38pm On May 30, 2012
UNILAG renamed Moshood Abiola University (MAU)....so? Is this d first University being renamed? Uni Ife became OAU, OSU became OOU, BSU, became AAU, OSUTECH became LAUTECH(thank God!), and the world didn't come to an end then, so y d hullabaloo about UNILAG becomin MAU?? Or d name nor get swag ni?.. Lol.. This same UniLag students went out enmasse to protest the annulment of the June 12 elections in 1993, y are they now protesting the honoring of the same man they fought for 20yrs ago?? How soon people forget... Make una just Meche onu nd embrace ur new name.... Greatest MAUites. Thumbs Ʊp ƒσя Presdent GEJ, God Bless Nigeria!!
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Kobojunkie: 3:39pm On May 30, 2012
Sedar:
UNILAG renamed Moshood Abiola University (MAU)....so? Is this d first University being renamed? Uni Ife became OAU, OSU became OOU, BSU, became AAU, OSUTECH became LAUTECH(thank God!), and the world didn't come to an end then, so y d hullabaloo about UNILAG becomin MAU?? Or d name nor get swag ni?.. Lol.. This same UniLag students went out enmasse to protest the annulment of the June 12 elections in 1993, y are they now protesting the honoring of the same man they fought for 20yrs ago?? How soon people forget... Make una just Meche onu nd embrace ur new name.... Greatest

um . . . na curse you dey curse dem ni? How can they protest June 12th Annnulment 20 years and remain in school 20 years later?

By the way, since when did protesting the Annulment of the people's choice equate to Loving a man like Abiola?

1 Like

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by icez: 3:39pm On May 30, 2012
Why is there no love for MKO
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Kobojunkie: 3:42pm On May 30, 2012
Guyman02: Oga Jona, abeg build something else and name it after the democracy icon MKO. UNILAG has become a unique brand that some of us who schooled in better schools still rever that name UNILAG. Its like the US Govt renaming the Masserchussets Institute of Technology (MIT) to George Bush Institute of Technology (GBIT) or jibiti.

Na lie! If MIT got renamed Albert Einstein Institute of Technology, I bet you would get little resistance. This is about the quality of the new name and not the renaming per se.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by akindayor(m): 3:42pm On May 30, 2012
@PapaBrowne
Wat is wrong with ur thinking, who told u those students are southwesterners?
why are Nigerians so tribalistics in their perspective?
no wonder we ve d type of leader we get!!!!
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by jason123: 3:45pm On May 30, 2012
akindayor: @PapaBrowne
Wat is wrong with ur thinking, who told u those students are southwesterners?
why are Nigerians so tribalistics in their perspective?
no wonder we ve d type of leader we get!!!!

I fear for Nigerians!
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Nobody: 3:45pm On May 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:

dont get the ISH twisted on the neck.

JUNE 12 is a symbol of JUSTICE.
JUSTICE for ONE man ABIOLA and for everyone, the PEOPLE.

He is a symbol of DEMOCRACY.

If KINGIGBE or ATIKU had won that election, and it got cancelled, the close-to-chaos scenario that unfolded for ABIOLA would still be a mild drama.

But the fact that ABIOLA won and it got cancelled. . .WAHALA

JUNE 12 was faaaaaarr more than just the denial of the right of the people to choose, it was more about the hopes of every businessman, teachers, peppersellers, students' in the PHILOSOPHY, PHILANTROPY, and CHARISMA of ABIOLA that was suddenly dashed to pieces with an iron rod by a tyrant ruler.

1 Like

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Johndoe100(m): 3:46pm On May 30, 2012
Why are you all still on this? This is a done deal. All haters can lick their wounds here if they wish.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by icez: 3:48pm On May 30, 2012
Naija. cool
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Kobojunkie: 3:50pm On May 30, 2012
sammirano: @Poster, are you minding UNILAG kids who don't known anything as at the life of MKO but were unfortunate to hear bad stories regarding the philanthropist.

The story of Abiola’s life is a classic rags to riches story that could be a Hollywood film. He was born into poverty in a large family. His birth came after a series of failed pregnancies, still born children and infant deaths in his family. He eventually attended the famous Baptist Boys High School in his home town of Abeokuta, in Ogun State. Former President Olusegun Obasanjo is another alumnus of that school. Afterward he studied accountancy at the University of Glasgow in Scotland. He then worked with the multi-national pharmaceutical company Pfizer.[size=13pt] [b]However Abiola made his name and riches when he joined the telecommunications company International Telegraph and Telephone (ITT). Abiola eventually became the chairman of ITT and via series of cordial relations with key army officers, Abiola amassed so much wealth, influence and fame that he once boasted of being the richest African on Earth.

Two of Abiola’s closest military friends were then Minister of Communications Brigadier Murtala Muhammed and Lt-Col Ibrahim Babangida. Abiola met Babangida in 1974 when Abiola was selling radio systems to the military. Babangida was sent to evaluate the quality of devices being sold by Abiola. According to Babangida “From that time the relationship developed and he was always around”. Abiola also met Brigadier Muhammed after bravely confronting Muhammed over a series of debts owed to Abiola’s company by Muhammed’s Communications Ministry. The normally fearsome and ruthless Muhammed was impressed by Abiola’s courage and the two struck up a friendship. With Babangida and Muhammed eventually becoming Heads of State, Abiola exploited his relationship with them to secure extensive patronage via contracts with the government and became spectacularly rich in the process. His business empire grew massively as did his bank account balance, number of wives, concubines and children.[/b]
[/size]

Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by Nobody: 3:52pm On May 30, 2012
Sedar:

Actually if they succeed in RENAMING, in about FIVE MONTHS from now we would have forgotten about this BROUHAHA.

but for now, its a game of who will win or lose. Remember PDP is actually trying this ISH out in an opposition ACN state so its a big battle line.

We are asking for electricity, good roads and security, but they are more interested in the ceremony of changing names.
Re: So They Never Really Loved MKO by icez: 3:53pm On May 30, 2012
grin grin grin

Johndoe100: Why are you all still on this? This is a done deal. All haters can lick their wounds here if they wish.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

University Of Port-Harcourt Alumni Association Visit Jonathan / Osinbajo’s Statement On Magu Was A Personal Opinion – Garba Shehu / Buhari Administration Is Constructing 524 Highway, Bridges Nationwide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.