Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,819 members, 7,938,412 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 04:40 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (311789 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by WARYZ(m): 1:27pm On Jul 26, 2012
deevick246: I was refused today by the V0 at counter 6 (Lagos). This is how it went down:
I was not praying for the VO because he was spending a lot of time with applicants and he rejected a lot of applicants.
VO: the sighed me as I was walking across to him. Good morning, pass me your documents pls.
ME: good morning sir, here they are
VO: ok can you bring up your case...
ME: I was like na which one be bring up your case again. I asked him to repeat himself and he said it again. So I got it that he want me to tell him what I am here for. Na so I start by saying, I am going to study Masters in Public Administration at ..... University, then defined Public Administration as a disciplined which broadly deals with good governance, human relations and the society at large and also focuses on the implementation of government policies, programmes and activities for the betterment of the citizens. I choose to study masters in PA because I have a keen interest in good governance in Nigeria.
V0: ok, why this school?
ME: because the university offers excellence career preparation in public administration which a real world learning experience.
VO: Have u travel out of Nigeria before?
ME: no, there has not been a need to.
VO: ok, are u married?
ME: No.
VO: where do u work?
ME: I told him.
VO: who is paying for your fees.
ME: my dad.
VO: what does not dad do?
ME: he is a building contractor and a estate developer.
VO: did you write the GRE?
ME: No, the university does not require it for admission into this programme.
VO: I'm sorry I can not issue you the visa at this time....bla bla

Lesson: I know surely that I was refused on the grounds of GRE. Its painful tho, because the V0 was just looking at me and typing seriously and me maintained eye contacts all through.
Advice: please everyone going as a graduate student should endeavour to write either the GRE or GMAT, even if your school does not require it for admission purpose, like mine did not and plus that I had a $2000 partial scholarship, so I was thinking the GRE won't be an issue since its not part of the admission requirements.

At this point, I want to congratulate everyone who got their visas and those yet to go for their interview, I beg make una no dey entertain unnecessary fear, that interview is not as difficult as it has been projected. Its basically a conversation between 2 people ( you and the VO). Be yourself.
I sincerely appreciate king1_00, Freeman_lxy, leadzeal, djunit, walex57, samuel4U and everyone on this thread.
Its not over yet, until I get my visa lol
MEHN ,DATS SAD,AND YOU CONTRIBUTTED ALOT TO THIS TREND,WELL PLS I WILL LIKE TO NTLL YOU NOT TO GIV UP
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by yomifola(m): 1:29pm On Jul 26, 2012
@imperx baba... Plz i nid GRE andTOEFL materialz plzzz. Yomiafolarin2000@gmail.com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by yomifola(m): 1:30pm On Jul 26, 2012
Waryz baba... Wetin dey sele??
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by WARYZ(m): 1:32pm On Jul 26, 2012
yomi fola: Waryz baba... Wetin dey sele??
CHAIRMAN ME,I JUST DEY O,NA UR FACE I DEY LOOK.NA TO BOOK TICKET GAT ME NOW O
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by sndrmrtns: 1:36pm On Jul 26, 2012
deevick246: I was refused today by the V0 at counter 6 (Lagos). This is how it went down:
I was not praying for the VO because he was spending a lot of time with applicants and he rejected a lot of applicants.
VO: the sighed me as I was walking across to him. Good morning, pass me your documents pls.
ME: I was like na which one be bring up your case again. I asked him to repeat himself and he said it again. So I got it that he want me to tell him what I am here for. Na so I start by saying, I am going to study Masters in Public Administration at ..... University, then defined Public Administration as a disciplined which broadly deals with good governance, human relations and the society at large and also focuses on the implementation of government policies, programmes and activities for the betterment of the citizens. I choose to study masters in PA because I have a keen interest in good governance in Nigeria.
ME: because the university offers excellence career preparation in public administration which a real world learning experience.

Lesson: I know surely that I was refused on the grounds of GRE. Its painful tho, because the V0 was just looking at me and typing seriously and me maintained eye contacts all through.
Advice: please everyone going as a graduate student should endeavour to write either the GRE or GMAT, even if your school does not require it for admission purpose, like mine did not and plus that I had a $2000 partial scholarship, so I was thinking the GRE won't be an issue since its not part of the admission requirements.

At this point, I want to congratulate everyone who got their visas and those yet to go for their interview, I beg make una no dey entertain unnecessary fear, that interview is not as difficult as it has been projected. Its basically a conversation between 2 people ( you and the VO). Be yourself.
I sincerely appreciate king1_00, Freeman_lxy, leadzeal, djunit, walex57, samuel4U and everyone on this thread.

If you are going for Spring session please add one travelling experience and you will have 30 point already and other details will boost it to 60% then you will have ur Visa.80% of people who got their Visa had travelling experience on old or new passport ...Try to study others things not question asking by VO alone.........Even South Africa embassy seek for travelling experience before you get Visa or ask you to pay repatriation fee.God will do it for you.
[color=#990000][/color]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 1:40pm On Jul 26, 2012

GOD! Guy i'm yet to believe it...didn't u get a waiver letter or email from ur school...my guy pls don't give up, u will get it and fall 2012 isn't complete without deevick on board....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by yomifola(m): 1:43pm On Jul 26, 2012
WARYZ: CHAIRMAN ME,I JUST DEY O,NA UR FACE I DEY LOOK.NA TO BOOK TICKET GAT ME NOW O

oga ooo, baba lon book lowo lowo. So wen r u plannin 2 leav...?? Or u stil 1 play wit ur family till nxt yr...?? Lolz...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 1:46pm On Jul 26, 2012
bawizle:

Hey bro. Its accredited. Just helped u verify. follow this link to confirm: http://www.coleman.edu/about/accreditation.php
coleman university is an accredited university, i have a school mate there studying an IT course i think in hospira or so...the school is in san diego...u need more info contact me on walex57@yahoo.com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 2:05pm On Jul 26, 2012
@Imperioux

Okay. Read hard and success.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 2:07pm On Jul 26, 2012
Hello guys, I came across this page and i thought i'd share it with you.

F-1 visa: how does a visa officer think
1. Show me your GRE score card?
Purpose: The Visa Officer wants to see your academic abilities.
Good Answer: Just show with a smile, looking in his/her eyes, no need to talk.
Bad Answers: I do not have my GRE score report/ I never took the GRE test.

2. Why do you want to study at Univ xyz?
Purpose: The Visa Officer wants to see your preparedness and focus on studies.
Good Answers: Prestigious University with world ranking, Research areas match my interest/ I have funding.
Bad Answers: Low fees/ My brother is in the same city.

3. Where all did you apply?
Purpose: The Visa Officer is trying to analyze whether your purpose is studying or somehow reaching USA.
Good Answer: I applied to A, B, C and D. – Whatever is the honest answer. If applied to more than 5, can mention 5.
Bad Answer: I applied only to this university A, where I am admitted [Rejection imminent, unless that university is very famous]

4. Do you have any relatives in USA?
Purpose: The Visa Officer is trying to analyze your ties to USA.
Good Answers: My elder brother / Nobody [whatever is true]. You should not mention cousins or uncles. Only mention direct relations, eg, Parents, Siblings, Spouse, as per the visa questionnaire.
Bad Answer: My second cousin and his friend live in USA.

5. What are your future plans?
Purpose: The Visa Officer is trying to analyze your ties to your own country.
Good Answer: Work in my country as….
Bad Answers: Work in USA/ I have not thought. [You are perhaps lying, but truth will lead to certain rejection - Sorry, this is how the system is designed]
Above is the only example where we advise to tell what is expected answer, not necessarily the truth. VO is legally bound to reject the visa if you say I want to work in the USA. They know that most people do not come back.

6. Who is paying for your education?
Purpose: The Visa Officer is trying to see if you can afford the education, else you will work illegally and stick around in USA.
Good Answesrs: Got a RA/ My father will pay out of his savings.
Bad Answers: Bank Loan/Sell property. Any fraud answer.

7. What is your area of research?
Good Answer: True and simple short answer.
Bad Answers: Vauge answer, Not decided yet, too generic answer, example, I want to do research in Electrical Engineering.

8. Show me your degree certificate?
Purpose: The Visa Officer wants to see your authenticity. They sometimes look at the degree across the light, in a way some people check the authenticity of a currency note/bill.
Good Answer: Just show with a smile, make eye contact, no need to talk. Provisional degree is acceptable.
Bad Answers: No degree or even provisional/temporary one. Degree in a non-English language, unless that is very common in your country.

9. Why do you want to go to USA?
Good Answers: Top universities in the world, exposure to current developments and research. Opportunity to experience the diverse culture alongwith top quality education.
Bad Answers: Going to USA is a childhood dream. US is a great country, I like USA a lot. I love US Dollars.

10. How many brothers and sisters do you have?
Good Answer: True answer. Never hide existence of siblings wheter they live in your own country or USA.
Bad Answer: Any false answer.

Good luck to all visa applicants. Confidence and honesty [except on item 5] is the key to success.

http://app2us.com/blog/visa/f-1-visa-how-does-a-visa-officer-think/

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 2:13pm On Jul 26, 2012
deevick246: I was refused today by the V0 at counter 6 (Lagos).

Sorry.

yomi fola: @imperx baba... Plz i nid GRE andTOEFL materialz plzzz. Yomiafolarin2000@gmail.com

I have said it several times that one of the material can't be delivered to gmail. When asking for the GRE material, always drop a yahoo or hotmail id not gmail.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by jimtosam: 2:15pm On Jul 26, 2012
WARYZ: guys i tried finding out the prices of airlines on wakanow.com,but it keeps showing me this everytime

JUST A MOMENT
WE ARE LOOKING FOR THE BEST VALUE FLIGHTS FOR YOUR SEARCH[color=#000099][/color]

AND I WAITED FOR OVER AN HOUR AND ITS STILL LIKE THAT TILL FOREVER,PLS PPLE WHO KNOWS ABT THE SITE SHOULD LEND ME AN HELPING HAND,OR RATHER GIVE ME UR 2KOBO ABI NA CENT grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I guessed your internet is very slow. After displaying just a moment, within 30 seconds, the flight details suppose to display ... I will advise guys to look for every airline detail so thatyou can enjoy best price..
For example, Turkish airline to Chicago is now 290k
Egypt Airline to Newyork is 180k.
Delta Local airline from NewYork to Chicago is 160dollars (26k)
So total: 206k.
The the second intinery might be stressful but at least if you are desperate to cut cost,it worked.. check all possible options.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by yomifola(m): 2:28pm On Jul 26, 2012
imperiouxx:

Sorry about that.

I have said it several times that one of the material can't be delivered to gmail. When asking for the GRE material, always drop a yahoo or hotmail id not gmail.

sowi abt dat sir... Yomiafolarin2000@yahoo.com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by lanrypaddy: 2:39pm On Jul 26, 2012
[quote author=bigfrancis21]Hello guys, I came across this page and i thought i'd share it with you.

F-1 visa: how does a visa officer think
1. Show me your GRE score card?
Purpose: The Visa Officer wants to see your academic abilities.
Good Answer: Just show with a smile, looking in his/her eyes, no need to talk.
Bad Answers: I do not have my GRE score report/ I never took the GRE test.

2. Why do you want to study at Univ xyz?
Good Answers: Prestigious University with world ranking, Research areas match my interest/ I have funding.
Bad Answers: Low fees/ My brother is in the same city.

3. Where all did you apply?
Purpose: The Visa Officer is trying to analyze whether your purpose is studying or somehow reaching USA.
Good Answer: I applied to A, B, C and D. – Whatever is the honest answer. If applied to more than 5, can mention 5.
Bad Answer: I applied only to this university A, where I am admitted [Rejection imminent, unless that university is very famous]

4. Do you have any relatives in USA?
Good Answers: My elder brother / Nobody [whatever is true]. You should not mention cousins or uncles. Only mention direct relations, eg, Parents, Siblings, Spouse, as per the visa questionnaire.
Bad Answer: My second cousin and his friend live in USA.

5. What are your future plans?
Good Answer: Work in my country as….
Bad Answers: Work in USA/ I have not thought. [You are perhaps lying, but truth will lead to certain rejection - Sorry, this is how the system is designed]
Above is the only example where we advise to tell what is expected answer, not necessarily the truth. VO is legally bound to reject the visa if you say I want to work in the USA. They know that most people do not come back.

6. Who is paying for your education?
Purpose: The Visa Officer is trying to see if you can afford the education, else you will work illegally and stick around in USA.
Good Answesrs: Got a RA/ My father will pay out of his savings.
Bad Answers: Bank Loan/Sell property. Any fraud answer.

7. What is your area of research?
Good Answer: True and simple short answer.
Bad Answers: Vauge answer, Not decided yet, too generic answer, example, I want to do research in Electrical Engineering.

8. Show me your degree certificate?
Purpose: The Visa Officer wants to see your authenticity. They sometimes look at the degree across the light, in a way some people check the authenticity of a currency note/bill.
Good Answer: Just show with a smile, make eye contact, no need to talk. Provisional degree is acceptable.
Bad Answers: No degree or even provisional/temporary one. Degree in a non-English language, unless that is very common in your country.

9. Why do you want to go to USA?
Good Answers: Top universities in the world, exposure to current developments and research. Opportunity to experience the diverse culture alongwith top quality education.
Bad Answers: Going to USA is a childhood dream. US is a great country, I like USA a lot. I love US Dollars.

10. How many brothers and sisters do you have?
Good Answer: True answer. Never hide existence of siblings wheter they live in your own country or USA.
Bad Answer: Any false answer.

Good luck to all visa applicants. Confidence and honesty [except on item 5] is the key to success.

http://app2us.com/blog/visa/f-1-visa-how-does-a-visa-officer-think/[/qu

Thanks Fø̲̣̣я̅ that info bro...but I have a doubt on the item 4, y can't one mention uncle since it was asked about relative...I think mention Ʊя̲̅ immediate family will be d worse senerio since it will show that one don't av enough tie 2 own country or wat do You think? Pls enlighten M̶̲̥̅ƺ on this...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 2:40pm On Jul 26, 2012
yomi fola:

sowi abt dat sir... Yomiafolarin2000@yahoo.com

It's done. Cheers!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by jimtosam: 2:45pm On Jul 26, 2012
To everyone who has gotten their VISA:

1. Seek God. Pressures in America are more than the one in Nigeria. Money has lured many int'l students into homosexual, pls be careful.Girls will throw themselves to you, but remember that some are looking for lives to finish. Check youtube and read the story of some HIV positive Americans that decided to infect innocent lives because they were so angry.

2. Search for a local church and identify yourself with them. Please, search don't pick. There are many homosexual Churches.

3. I have heard this several times. Your first 3 weeks in America can determine your stay there. The kind of people you associate with in the first 3weeks. The kind of orientations that you acquired, etc. Why cant you draw you plan for the first three weeks.

4. Know what you want.

5. Read, read and read. Try be the best in your class and you will see how ways will be opening.

6. If you can afford two mobile phone lines, do. Nigerians think everyone that step out is fetching the cash on the tree and they will be mounting pressures on you. So, give one to stubborn people you know and one for your close relatives and friends.

7. Take advantage of your environment.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 2:53pm On Jul 26, 2012
^^^ Gay, gay.....It's like you really hate gays grin Don't show/say that when you get here o, they can file your arrest grin You'll soon start seeing their meeting notice on campus. They live happily and not ashamed to say it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by yomifola(m): 3:08pm On Jul 26, 2012
imperiouxx:

It's done. Cheers!

u 2 much jare... I jst v 2 prepare cz jst tyme arnd... Well, itz btw me,VO and GOD. Thx man
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 3:18pm On Jul 26, 2012
jimtosam: To everyone who has gotten their VISA:

1. Seek God. Pressures in America are more than the one in Nigeria. Money has lured many int'l students into homosexual, pls be careful.Girls will throw themselves to you, but remember that some are looking for lives to finish. Check youtube and read the story of some HIV positive Americans that decided to infect innocent lives because they were so angry.

2. Search for a local church and identify yourself with them. Please, search don't pick. There are many homosexual Churches.

3. I have heard this several times. Your first 3 weeks in America can determine your stay there. The kind of people you associate with in the first 3weeks. The kind of orientations that you acquired, etc. Why cant you draw you plan for the first three weeks.

4. Know what you want.

5. Read, read and read. Try be the best in your class and you will see how ways will be opening.

6. If you can afford two mobile phone lines, do. Nigerians think everyone that step out is fetching the cash on the tree and they will be mounting pressures on you. So, give one to stubborn people you know and one for your close relatives and friends.

WOW this is deep
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 3:25pm On Jul 26, 2012
@lanrypaddy

Thanks Fø̲̣̣я̅ that info bro...but I have a doubt on the item 4, y can't one mention uncle since it was asked about relative...I think mention Ʊя̲̅ immediate family will be d worse senerio since it will show that one don't av enough tie 2 own country or wat do You think? Pls enlighten M̶̲̥̅ƺ on this..

Actually, when the VO asks if you have any relatives, he actually refers to a direct relative such as a brother, sister, father or mother because only a direct relative has the legal rights by the American constitution to file for permanent residency for you, that is if he/she is already naturalized there. So, well if you dont have any direct relative there, and he asks if you have any relative in the USA, the best answer is no, well, saying that you have an uncle/aunt/cousin as an answer may help as that automatically tells the VO that you have no one to file for PR for you when you get there. Also, if you do have a direct relative, dont lie about this because they may know, its in their records. When your sibling was filing for visa back then, he/she may have listed you as brother or sister even though you may not be aware of it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jul 26, 2012
@deevick,

U ll sure get it. Just make necessary adjustment.

@jimtosam,

Thanks for that insightful advice. God ll surely see us thru.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 3:35pm On Jul 26, 2012

4. Know what you want.

@jimtosam
One's sexual orientation is fixed I think. Could be that the intl students whom you said turned gay were actually gay and used the student visa route to escape from their home countries esp if in africa. No truly staight guy can go gay. Lol.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 3:35pm On Jul 26, 2012

4. Know what you want.

@jimtosam
One's sexual orientation is fixed I think. Could be that the intl students whom you said turned gay were actually gay and used the student visa route to escape from their home countries esp if in africa. No truly straight guy can go gay. Lol.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by payne4real(m): 3:38pm On Jul 26, 2012
More pls

4. Know what you want.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by AnythinCanHapen: 3:42pm On Jul 26, 2012

Oga,i think you were just unfortunate. The guy no want give u.He denied you based on ties and not the GRE only.After telling him you have not traveled out and not married,your chances were very low.Answering another No to the GRE was like pouring petrol to the fire.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by deevick246(m): 3:52pm On Jul 26, 2012
@ imprexousxxx
I need the GRE materials also, please send it to my email. I know you have it because you have once sent me TOEFL materials before. Thanks.

Modified.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Paywole: 4:01pm On Jul 26, 2012
kpolli:

You almost got it, y change it now?
Plus isn't that the course u really wanna study?
I choose to study automobile technology at first in one community college but am thinking of changing it to mech engr since automobile tech is like a subset to the superset of mech engr so pls what are my chances with this
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by deevick246(m): 4:04pm On Jul 26, 2012
AnythinCanHapen:

Oga,i think you were just unfortunate. The guy no want give u.He denied you based on ties and not the GRE only.After telling him you have not traveled out and not married,your chances were very low.Answering another No to the GRE was like pouring petrol to the fire.

Alright, thanks for your comment.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by deevick246(m): 4:05pm On Jul 26, 2012
leadzeal: @deevick,

U ll sure get it. Just make necessary adjustment.

@jimtosam,

Thanks for that insightful advice. God ll surely see us thru.

Thanks man. I sincerely appreciate you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 4:08pm On Jul 26, 2012
deevick246: @ imprexousxxx
I remembered I once sent you an email to your email addy requesting for GRE materials but you did not send it, maybe you did not receive the email. So I am asking here now for the GRE Materials to be sent to deevick246 at yahoo. com please. Thanks.

Don't you know where we know each other and begin chatting? It was about GMAT in June 2011. You said you are going for GMAT but not GRE and still I got both the two for you in Oct 2011. Later this year when I got to school you asked that I send you TOEFL materials and because of you I downloaded those TOEFL material I'm sending to others now and send it to you then including the links in case you need more yourself. Anyone who I ever sent those materials to, should help check if you won't see deevick email among please. You didn't say all these again till now. Anyway, I will still resend them now.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Paywole: 4:10pm On Jul 26, 2012

Am so sorry about ur denial its certain u will get it in your next trial cos you deserve it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 4:39pm On Jul 26, 2012
Paywole:
I choose to study automobile technology at first in one community college but am thinking of changing it to mech engr since automobile tech is like a subset to the superset of mech engr so pls what are my chances with this

Mi o gbo oyinbo

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.