Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,819 members, 7,938,412 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 04:38 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (311788 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jul 24, 2012
Got my visa approved last week friday in abuja., picked it up today. The usual questions were asked., short and very simple. My observations about the whole process is as follows..
1. It dosnt matter who the vo interviewing you is. ( got mine from the dreaded old man in counter cool
2. Dress for the occation. A simple neat shirt n trousers, with a good pair of shoes wld do. ( meet a guy who came in a tee-shirt with bold inscription 'emi omo baba olowo' and dirty looking slippers, initially tot he was one of the touts outside, only to see him facing the consular, needless to say, he was denied)
3. Know the basics about your school and the course.
4. Listen carefully and be creative in your answers, ( the same question might be asked from you in two different ways. Your answers must be consistent.)
5. Talk confidently, maintain facial contact, use gestures. - to me, this is the key to a successful interview. The consulars don't know everythin. You must talk confidently to convince them. Any flaws in your application can be explained away with confident talk. But beware of overconfidence o.
6. Have all your supporting documents intact.
7. Pray pray pray- with God, all things are possible.
I hope this guide helps someone.... Just a token of my appreciation for all the help i received from this forum.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by obusco4lyfe(m): 8:12pm On Jul 24, 2012
Supzyy: Got my visa approved last week friday in abuja., picked it up today. The usual questions were asked., short and very simple. My observations about the whole process is as follows..
1. It dosnt matter who the vo interviewing you is. ( got mine from the dreaded old man in counter cool
2. Dress for the occation. A simple neat shirt n trousers, with a good pair of shoes wld do. ( meet a guy who came in a tee-shirt with bold inscription 'emi omo baba olowo' and dirty looking slippers, initially tot he was one of the touts outside, only to see him facing the consular, needless to say, he was denied)
3. Know the basics about your school and the course.
4. Listen carefully and be creative in your answers, ( the same question might be asked from you in two different ways. Your answers must be consistent.)
5. Talk confidently, maintain facial contact, use gestures. - to me, this is the key to a successful interview. The consulars don't know everythin. You must talk confidently to convince them. Any flaws in your application can be explained away with confident talk. But beware of overconfidence o.
6. Have all your supporting documents intact.
7. Pray pray pray- with God, all things are possible.
I hope this guide helps someone.... Just a token of my appreciation for all the help i received from this forum.
congrats bro! Can't wait to read ur story on hw it went down
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by obusco4lyfe(m): 8:22pm On Jul 24, 2012
@house for those in yankee already, pls ansa these questn. Hw long does it take 2 get a part time job as a student nd hw much do they pay?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by chikalouisa(f): 8:31pm On Jul 24, 2012
Really happy 4 u bawzie tho I don't know u but iv bin following dis thread. smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by obusco4lyfe(m): 8:34pm On Jul 24, 2012
chika louisa: Really happy 4 u bawzie tho I don't know u but iv bin following dis thread. smiley
lol
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Ecalos: 8:46pm On Jul 24, 2012
dr_dolittle:

Do you see the bolded part? grin grin I laughed in Chinese when I read that part. grin Texas is down south o..beside Florida and Louisiana.. cheesy

But the koko be say...u don get am!! Just try memorize it in case u wanna lecture your younger ones.

Congrats once more brov..You are now a ' yo! howdy?' dude!

Olodo lol... You sef dey make person laugh in Greek...Texas is no where near Florida. Louisiana yes but Florida heck No...Texas is surrounded by the following states: New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana... No go dey fall person hand o lol
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bawizle: 8:48pm On Jul 24, 2012
chika louisa: Really happy 4 u bawzie tho I don't know u but iv bin following dis thread. smiley

lol. we almost don't know each other here. but we go a long way to share our experiences....lol
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bawizle: 8:54pm On Jul 24, 2012
Ecalos:

Olodo lol... You sef dey make person laugh in Greek...Texas is no where near Florida. Louisiana yes but Florida heck No...Texas is surrounded by the following states: New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana... No go dey fall person hand o lol

lmao...aabeg make i whole my ass cos its not so large for me to laugh out. u wey de talk, u just go google go check 4 states come here de form geographer. lol. Just kidding.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by drdolittle1: 8:59pm On Jul 24, 2012
Ecalos:

Na all of una be olodo! grin grin Giving a general overview of location is quite different from giving a specific description. Saying Osun is around Lagos is still acceptable as long as they are both South West states. Florida and Texas are both in the south and can in no way be compared with Texas and the Eastern part of the U.S.A.e.g Virginia. I was just giving a map location description and not specific travel distance descriptions..my fellow olodo housemates grin grin grin I agree with una sha but I wasnt too specific enough and that was where you all wanted to eat me up before my time. Haba! angry Ok I no vex! grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Ecalos: 9:29pm On Jul 24, 2012
bawizle:

lmao...aabeg make i whole my ass cos its not so large for me to laugh out. u wey de talk, u just go google go check 4 states come here de form geographer. lol. Just kidding.

Google Ke...I be certified Texan o...lol

dr_dolittle:

Na all of una be olodo! grin grin Giving a general overview of location is quite different from giving a specific description. Saying Osun is around Lagos is still acceptable as long as they are both South West states. Florida and Texas are both in the south and can in no way be compared with Texas and the Eastern part of the U.S.A.e.g Virginia. I was just giving a map location description and not specific travel distance descriptions..my fellow olodo housemates grin grin grin I agree with una sha but I wasnt too specific enough and that was where you all wanted to eat me up before my time. Haba! angry Ok I no vex! grin

Lol I just dey mess with your head. I couldnt help it. You try...I give you A2 abi na B2 dem dey call am now
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bypassit: 9:55pm On Jul 24, 2012
Congratulations Bro!!!I am happy for you!God bless

bawizle:

yes oooooooooo. I just bgot my visa. it was fast.
Here is d interview at abuja, booth 7
VO: smiles & says Good afternoon,
me: Good afternoon, passed my docs
VO: why r u going to u.s?
Me: to obtain a bsc in comp info science in wiley college
Vo: ok. So what is comp info science?
Me: It is a network of hardwares and softwares used in creating, filtering and distributing data in an organization
VO: So how is dat gonna help u?
Me: With the fusion of d knowledge i'll get 4rm dis course,and d acquired knowledge i got while working for my dad, i will be able to solve d major information challenges in the current Nigerian business market.
VO: good, so where is ur school?
Me: Marshall Texas
VO: Where is Texas?
Me: East of U.S...na here i jonse
VO: You're a great student, but u need to learn how to answer lil questions like d location of texas.
Me: i started saying tinz 2 show i know d location, cos i don jonze already. den i said " GOD its ur turn 2 do ur work
VO: have u been 2 u.s?
me: No
VO: hold on
i started thinkin it was over
VO: u have been approved, come bck in 2 days 4 ur visa.

I turned 2 others and made a sign showing i made it. cos dia were over 30 people b4 me, and only one person was approved
It was God
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by WARYZ(m): 10:34pm On Jul 24, 2012
dr_dolittle:

Do you see the bolded part? grin grin I laughed in Chinese when I read that part. grin Texas is down south o..beside Florida and Louisiana.. cheesy

But the koko be say...u don get am!! Just try memorize it in case u wanna lecture your younger ones.

Congrats once more brov..You are now a ' yo! howdy?' dude!
close to louisiana and oklahoma,not florida.and who knows where femilangy and suxes2000 are sef,I don miss does guys like 14 years...lol
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 10:36pm On Jul 24, 2012
bawizle:

Me: It is a network of hardwares and softwares used in creating, filtering and distributing data in an organization
Me: With the fusion of d knowledge i'll get 4rm dis course,and d acquired knowledge i got while working for my dad, i will be able to solve d major information challenges in the current Nigerian business market.
VO: You're a great student, but u need to learn how to answer lil questions like d location of texas.
Me: i started saying tinz 2 show i know d location, cos i don jonze already. den i said " GOD its ur turn 2 do ur work

I turned 2 others and made a sign showing i made it. cos dia were over 30 people b4 me, and only one person was approved
It was God

Congrats bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 11:27pm On Jul 24, 2012
bawizle:

lol. Texas de South central oh. Not Down south. Abeg no jonse like me oh. dat simple question fit cause wahala. I wish u all d best.

Lolzzzz. New York is in west and California in the north while Texas is in the mid west. Lot of laugh when it comes to panic. Well, the first thing I usually learn about where I'm going is the position on cardinal points and the nearest cities to it. Still laughing about this new location of states in US I just learned. Congrat sha.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 12:30am On Jul 25, 2012
lanrypaddy:

Greatest unilorite!!! I'm glad 2 meet M̶̲̥̅Ɣ fellow alumnus...I appreciate Ʊя̲̅ words of encouragement and I will also work on that accordingly...did You did Ʊя̲̅ interview @ lagos embassy? Pls let M̶̲̥̅ƺ knw which counter Ȋ̝̊̅§ best in giving visa and wu 2 avoid...wr are Ʊ nw?

yes oo my guy...greatest unilorites ooo...i had my interview in lagos and was interviewed by the VO in counter 1....well u cannot really avoid any counter..i'm in naija will be leaving for yankee soon...wish you all d best...come share ya testimony
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 12:33am On Jul 25, 2012
Na wa O:
@house
Here is my story and I need to know what ‎​Ɣøû think and advice
I had my interview this М̣̣̥̇̊Ό̲̣̣̣̥Я̩̥̊И̣̣̣̥Ȋ̝̊̅̄И̣̣̣̥G̲̣̣̣̥ at the lagos embassy was interviewed by window 1 a white guy. Interview lasted like 6-7mins asked questions which I answered then he collected my passport, tore the pickup slip and gave M̶̲̥̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ a white form. Told M̶̲̥̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ to pick up my visa on friday and was advicing M̶̲̥̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ to travel early. When I was J̲̣̣̣U̶̲̥̅̊§τ̲̅ abt to leave I think something came up on his screen and he said he might need to collect the form,return my passport held on to my DS-160 and gave M̶̲̥̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ the GREEN PICKUP ticket. Told M̶̲̥̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ dia is a check they still need to run that its most probably nothing bt they have to D̶̲̥̅̊o it.that I should mail my school and inform them I might report late.he said D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ will contact M̶̲̥̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ via email or phone that they have to carry out additional administrative check/processing
My questions are:
Has anyone held of this before?
What D̶̲̥̅̊o u think might be the Ish?
How long will I have to wait for this process?
What are my chances?
Please advice

My personal person...lemme be the first to congratulate you....don't worry you don get the visa...so far the green ticket is with you and you got a form 221g...it make take a lil while but you'll get it...congrats bro...i don tell you before nah...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 12:34am On Jul 25, 2012
imperiouxx:

Lolzzzz. New York is in west and California in the north while Texas is in the mid west. Lot of laugh when it comes to panic. Well, the first thing I usually learn about where I'm going is the position on cardinal point and the nearest cities to it. Still laughing about this new location of states in US I just learned. Congrat sha.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin....i laugh in swahili grin grin grin grin grin grin grin...nice one imperiouxx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by drdolittle1: 12:42am On Jul 25, 2012
Ecalos:

Google Ke...I be certified Texan o...lol

Lol I just dey mess with your head. I couldnt help it. You try...I give you A2 abi na B2 dem dey call am now
Please sufry mess with ma small head o...Anyways thanks for d grade...not too bad to be managed..MR TEXAS!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by drdolittle1: 12:45am On Jul 25, 2012
imperiouxx:

Lolzzzz. New York is in west and California in the north while Texas is in the mid west. Lot of laugh when it comes to panic. Well, the first thing I usually learn about where I'm going is the position on cardinal point and the nearest cities to it. Still laughing about this new location of states in US I just learned. Congrat sha.
Bros u wan scatter my head? I know u must be kidding cos Texas is sure a South central state shey?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 1:52am On Jul 25, 2012
dr_dolittle: Bros u wan scatter my head? I know u must be kidding cos Texas is sure a South central state shey?

Yea, Texas is one of the mean southern states (South central) extended to Florida (south-east) while New mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, Utah and some parts of Texas are the south-western US. This is what I used while searching for schools then http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_states_in_the_United_States and from there I got conversant with all the states and their position on the map before my interview.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by dokunbam(m): 4:08am On Jul 25, 2012
How Apply and get American Visa

Would you appreciate help with your American visa application?

Are you excited about the prospect of travelling to America? It shouldn't be a surprise - the United States boasts so many exciting sights and attractions, throughout world-famous cities like New York, Washington, Chicago, Miami and Los Angeles. However, you should be warned that travel to the USA is impossible without an American visa, obtainable for citizens of the countries covered by the US Visa Waiver Program (VWP) through the ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization).
more info at
http://getguide..com/2012/07/how-apply-and-get-american-visa.html
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Square65: 5:02am On Jul 25, 2012
bawizle:

It was God

It's like roads are leading to the Lone Star State! "You don't mess with Texas" (not even the VO, lol) Congrats!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bypassit: 5:25am On Jul 25, 2012
lmao!!!do you mean a US Application fee should be paid in GBP? grin tongue lipsrsealed
dokunbam: How Apply and get American Visa

Would you appreciate help with your American visa application?

Are you excited about the prospect of travelling to America? It shouldn't be a surprise - the United States boasts so many exciting sights and attractions, throughout world-famous cities like New York, Washington, Chicago, Miami and Los Angeles. However, you should be warned that travel to the USA is impossible without an American visa, obtainable for citizens of the countries covered by the US Visa Waiver Program (VWP) through the ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization).
more info at
http://getguide..com/2012/07/how-apply-and-get-american-visa.html
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by GboyegaD(m): 5:27am On Jul 25, 2012
bawizle:

lol. Wetin de carry me go florida? na texas my route de lead me to. Florida fit be later tinz

I meant Texas isn't near Florida.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by GboyegaD(m): 5:30am On Jul 25, 2012
obusco4lyfe: @house for those in yankee already, pls ansa these questn. Hw long does it take 2 get a part time job as a student nd hw much do they pay?

There is no definite duration to how long it takes to get a job. As for pay, you cannot earn below minimum wage which presently is $7.25/hour in Texas and it differs across states.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by shamoney1: 6:32am On Jul 25, 2012
Nairalanders don mess US consulate up like dis oo,de no de see boys reject again ooo.. Na so e go de for people wey neva go interview,rejection no follow for options,de must grant una in Jesus name, amen.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by drdolittle1: 7:01am On Jul 25, 2012
sha_money: Nairalanders don mess US consulate up like dis oo,de no de see boys reject again ooo.. Na so e go de for people wey neva go interview,rejection no follow for options,de must grant una in Jesus name, amen.
Amen Pastor Money! This thread is like a verse in the book of proverbs that says 'in multitude of counsel, there is safety'.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by seedord247(m): 7:05am On Jul 25, 2012
Now na geography matter even person wey never commot for hin own city they tell pple where to go. grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by seedord247(m): 7:09am On Jul 25, 2012
GboyegaD:

There is no definite duration to how long it takes to get a job. As for pay, you cannot earn below minimum wage which presently is $7.25/hour in Texas and it differs across states.

7.25 is federal not state. . . but school pay more than that. The only problem is the hours. But if you are using the option 2 of working outside the school, watchout for ICE oooo. Bcus dem bad gannnn this time.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by obusco4lyfe(m): 7:09am On Jul 25, 2012
GboyegaD:

thx bro....nyc info
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by obusco4lyfe(m): 7:11am On Jul 25, 2012
seedord247:

7.25 is federal not state. . . but school pay more than that. The only problem is the hours. But if you are using the option 2 of working outside the school, watchout for ICE oooo. Bcus dem bad gannnn this time.
who be ICE?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by shamoney1: 7:16am On Jul 25, 2012
dr_dolittle: Amen Pastor Money! This thread is like a verse in the book of proverbs that says 'in multitude of counsel, there is safety'.
Yes my brother , 'wise' counsel .

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.