Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,104 members, 7,877,094 topics. Date: Monday, 01 July 2024 at 12:17 PM

Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? (8332 Views)

Catholic Church Cautions El-Rufai Over Religious Bill / Catholic Church Collapses In Enugu, Five Dead / The Catholic Pope Francis- There Is No Heaven Or Hell And Adam And Eve Not Real (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by truthislight: 2:16pm On Sep 02, 2012
mkmyers45: Shut it please..if you've got hate for RC's take it elsewhere

is this how to disprove what i have stated?

That the bible is God's word and not the RCC?

What is the hate here?
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Sep 02, 2012
truthislight:

the letter the apostles wrote went to churches that were form by the apostles especially apostle paul.

This leters address the needs of those christians and they kept them as God's word.

THis christians were told to copy the letters and sent to the next congregation in the other cities so that they can learn from those writhing.

This letters were written to congregations and not to a central body but to different congregations and this congregations had this letters from the time of the apostles in the first century (1CE)
and they had it/kept them till the fourth century (4CE) that the catholics claim to canonise the bible.

Did the catholics withthrew all the letters that the congregations had from the apostle from the 1CE up to the 3rdCE befor the canonization took place and subsequently sent it back to them?

It is obvious That they are lying as it is clearly known that they simply put a stamp on what was already in existent to make themself relevant and politicise things.

They have nothing closely resembling the claim of providing the bible that we have today.

If I tell you that you know nothing about xtian history you will say I am insulting you.

Prior to the fourth century CE there was no established canon.a
All sort of writings were flying about all purported to have been wrtten by the apostles.they were about 18 gospels in existence including gospel of thomas,gospel of mary,gospel of mary e.t.c

It was the Rcc that decided the books that finally went into the bible
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Sep 02, 2012
truthislight:

the letter the apostles wrote went to churches that were form by the apostles especially apostle paul.

This leters address the needs of those christians and they kept them as God's word.

THis christians were told to copy the letters and sent to the next congregation in the other cities so that they can learn from those writhing.

This letters were written to congregations and not to a central body but to different congregations and this congregations had this letters from the time of the apostles in the first century (1CE)
and they had it/kept them till the fourth century (4CE) that the catholics claim to canonise the bible.

Did the catholics withthrew all the letters that the congregations had from the apostle from the 1CE up to the 3rdCE befor the canonization took place and subsequently sent it back to them?

It is obvious That they are lying as it is clearly known that they simply put a stamp on what was already in existent to make themself relevant and politicise things.

They have nothing closely resembling the claim of providing the bible that we have today.

If I tell you that you know nothing about xtian history you will say I am insulting you.

All sort of writings were flying about all purported to have been wrtten by the apostles.they were about 18 gospels in existence including gospel of thomas,gospel of mary,gospel of mary e.t.c

Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by truthislight: 2:34pm On Sep 02, 2012
mkmyers45: Which research? Did you get into the vatican archives? Who gave the first cannonized scripture? How did you pre-date it? Are you a member of the Church Council that did oversee translation and cannoning?

Now, if those questions are directed at you how will you answer them?

Now i know the knowledge you have been feeding from that nourished you this much.
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Sep 02, 2012
[/quote]Besides, there is a difference between who compiled the bible and who wrote or inspired scripture, it I
s plain throughout scripture that God can actually use his enemies to achieve his purposes[quote]

I take it here that you have finally accepted the fact that catholics compiled the bible
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by truthislight: 2:39pm On Sep 02, 2012
mkmyers45: Hahahahaha You make me laugh...then where did you get the original scrolls that you compared and translated? What research are you talking about then? How did you indeed come about your research?

there have always been true christians all through the ages.
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Sep 02, 2012
chukwudi44:

What is Christian History ?

The early church , and then the persecuted church and then the institutionalising of a part of the church by emperor Constantine , complete with pagan rituals and abominable modes of worship.

The other part of the REAL CHURCH went underground , they were hunted down , killed , tortured, fed to animals , dispossessed of their humanity and exiled from civilisation.

The Catholic church is nothing more than a continuation of the tyranny and cruelty of the ancient pagan Roman empire.

Mate , Catholic history is not church histoy.!!

You mean like the uninspired, gnostic fables called apocrypha books and included in the catholic bible.

Tell me Sir , why did the catholic church prevent the same bible they supposedly compiled to reach millions of masses during the middle ages. Why was this exclusive privilege held by priest who in turn only disseminated information that was compliant and in alignment with catholic church doctrine , though most of the time these doctrines were in total contradiction to scripture , such as Trinity, Hell Fire , Purgatory and a host of other doctrine of demons ?

Why was Tyndale strangled and murdered at the order of the catholic church ?
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by Rich4god(m): 2:44pm On Sep 02, 2012
The Holy Eucharist is the center of our worship... The more the anti-catholic thread, the more i see the truth in the catholic church.
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Sep 02, 2012
Rich4god: The Holy Eucharist is the center of our worship... The more the anti-catholic thread, the more i see the truth in the catholic church.

The church is the one universal church of GOD , invisible with it's Christ as the head.

Your church my friend is a counterfeit of the real thing. Everything it stands for is contrary to Christ.
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by truthislight: 2:59pm On Sep 02, 2012
chukwudi44:

this is the best post you have made so far.

However, the early churches knew what they had to be genuine and they held on/pass it along.

That we have lots of false prophet today like Jesus had said does that means that we cant use the bible to know what is true and what is false?

I said that the NT is made up of the exclusive writings of the 12 apostles and apostle paul is that or was that too difficult for you to understand?

The two examples you have given were those among the twelve apostle?

Were they verified by the apostles themself during their life time?

This is a straight forward issue.

The congregation that received the letters will know which is true and which is false that if a false one is added they will reject it period. Not when the congregations had been warned that false prophet will come up after the death of the apostles.

The commitee work was cut out, if they put the non apostles writings then the congregation will not accept it QED .

Edited.
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by truthislight: 3:07pm On Sep 02, 2012
Rich4god: The Holy Eucharist is the center of our worship... The more the anti-catholic thread, the more i see the truth in the catholic church.

stay on the topic.

The issue is on the RCC giving us the bible
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Sep 02, 2012

ah okay the Holy Eucharist is the centre of your worship not Christ
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by Rich4god(m): 3:10pm On Sep 02, 2012
frosbel:

The church is the one universal church of GOD , invisible with it's Christ as the head.

Your church my friend is a counterfeit of the real thing. Everything it stands for is contrary to Christ.
plz frosbel, which one(church) is the REAL THING just as you said.
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by Rich4god(m): 3:13pm On Sep 02, 2012
frosbel:

ah okay the Holy Eucharist is the centre of your worship not Christ
SMH... I thought you said you are a former catholic. How come you dont know what i mean.
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Sep 02, 2012
Rich4god:
SMH... I thought you said you are a former catholic. How come you dont know what i mean.

And you believe that the bread you eat turns into Christ's body right ? or that the wine turns into this blood ? SMH
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by mkmyers45(m): 3:25pm On Sep 02, 2012
truthislight:

is this how to disprove what i have stated?

That the bible is God's word and not the RCC?

What is the hate here?
Who put the scripture together? Is the book of Enoch scripture?
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by mkmyers45(m): 3:27pm On Sep 02, 2012
truthislight:

Now, if those questions are directed at you how will you answer them?

Now i know the knowledge you have been feeding from that nourished you this much.
What is your argument?
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Sep 02, 2012
mkmyers45: What is your argument?

I am still waiting for your sources !
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by mkmyers45(m): 3:30pm On Sep 02, 2012
frosbel:

Okay you know what , show me your sources and I will show you mine.
where are your manners? i asked first..
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Sep 02, 2012
mkmyers45: where are your manners? i asked first..

Oh you did , and where exactly ? grin
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by Rich4god(m): 3:33pm On Sep 02, 2012
frosbel:

And you believe that the bread you eat turns into Christ's body right ? or that the wine turns into this blood ? SMH
Words of our Lord >>> Matt 26:26-28. Words of the Apostle >>> 1 Corinthians 11:23-30.
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by mkmyers45(m): 3:36pm On Sep 02, 2012
frosbel:

Oh you did , and where exactly ? grin
If you can't see my request then thats ok...how did you know what i was asking for if i havent asked? Be a gentleman and a good OP and lay down your source..who knows you may re-write history no?
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Sep 02, 2012
Rich4god:
Words of our Lord >>> Matt 26:26-28. Words of the Apostle >>> 1 Corinthians 11:23-30.

Dear Sir, this is symbolic not literal.

The wine does not turn to blood and neither does the bread turn into a real body.

"and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." - 1 Corinthians 11:24
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Sep 02, 2012
Did the Roman Catholic church give us our Bible?
Roman Catholics often say that it was their church that gave us the Bible. They sometimes claim this when defending their "Sacred Tradition" so that they might support extra-biblical teachings such as purgatory, penance, indulgences, and Mary worship. They often say the only way the Christian church knew what books are to be included in the Canon of Scripture was because it was revealed by word-of-mouth in the early church; that is, by the tradition of the Catholic Church.

Unfortunately, this argument implies that tradition is superior to Scripture. Of course, we are not saying that the Roman Catholic church teaches that tradition is above Scripture. But when Sacred Tradition is claimed to be the thing by which Scripture is given, then tradition is inadvertently the thing that gives blessing and approval to the Bible. Heb. 7:7 says, "But without any dispute the lesser is blessed by the greater." The unfortunate psychological effect of saying that Roman Catholic tradition is what gave us the Bible, is that it elevates their tradition to a level far greater than what is permitted in Scripture. In fact, it is contradicted by scripture:

"Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively applied to myself and Apollos for your sakes, that in us you might learn not to exceed what is written, in order that no one of you might become arrogant in behalf of one against the other," (1 Cor. 4:6).
The Bible tells us to obey the Word of God, to not go beyond the written Word, so that we might not make mistakes in what is true. Unfortunately, the problem with an elevated status of Roman Catholic church tradition is that it results in various justifications of it's non-biblical teachings such as prayer to Mary, purgatory, indulgences, penance, works of righteousness, etc. Because it has deviated from trusting God's Word alone, it has ventured into unscriptural areas. Nevertheless, did the Roman Catholic Church give us the Bible? No, it did not.

First of all, the Roman Catholic Church was not really in effect as an organization in the first couple hundred years of the Christian Church. The Christian church was under persecution and official church gatherings were risky business in the Roman Empire. Catholicism as an organization with a central figure located in Rome did not occur for quite some time, in spite of its claim they can trace the papacy back to Peter.

Second, the Christian Church recognized what was Scripture. It did not establish it. This is a very important point. The Christian Church recognizes what God has inspired and pronounces that recognition. In other words, it discovers what is already authentic. Jesus said "my sheep hear my voice and they follow me..." (John 10:27). The church hears the voice of Christ; that is, it recognizes what is inspired and it follows the word. It does not add to it as the Roman Catholic Church has done. Therefore, it is not following the voice of Christ.

Third, the Roman Catholic Church did not give us the Old Testament which is the Scripture to which Christ and the apostles appealed. If the Roman Catholic Church wants to state that it gave us the Bible, how can they claim to have given us the Old Testament which is part of the Bible? It didn't, so it cannot make that claim. The fact is that the followers of God, the true followers of God, recognize what is and is not inspired. The Jews knew what was inspired of God and they recognized what God had inspired. That is what those who are of God do.

Fourth, when the apostles wrote the New Testament documents they were inspired by the power of the Holy Spirit. There wasn't any real issue of whether or not they were authentic. Their writings did not need to be deemed worthy of inclusion in the Canon of Scripture by a later group of men in the so-called Roman Catholic Church. To make such a claim is, in effect, to usurp the natural power and authority of God himself.

Fifth, the Scripture says, "But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation, 21 for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God," (2 Pet. 1:20-21). The Bible tells us that the Scriptures are inspired by the Holy Spirit. Therefore, the very nature of the inspired documents is that they carry power and authenticity in themselves. They are not given the power or the authenticity of ecclesiastical declaration.

Conclusion

The Christian church merely recognizes the Word of God (John 10:27). The authenticity of the New Testament documents rests in the inspiration of God through the apostles. It does not rest in the declaration of the Catholic Church. This is very important. The Christian Church recognizes what God has ordained through his sovereign inspiration to be the word of God. When the Catholic Church claims that it is the source of the sacred Scriptures, it is, in effect, placing itself above the word of God. It needs to repent.
http://carm.org/did-roman-catholic-church-give-us-our-bible
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by mkmyers45(m): 3:52pm On Sep 02, 2012
@Frosbel is that your research? WTF?
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by Rich4god(m): 5:34pm On Sep 02, 2012
frosbel:

Dear Sir, this is symbolic not literal.

The wine does not turn to blood and neither does the bread turn into a real body.

"and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." - 1 Corinthians 11:24
Read 1 Corinthians 11:27 and tell me whats symbolic about it.
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Sep 02, 2012
Rich4god:
Read 1 Corinthians 11:27 and tell me whats symbolic about it.

"Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord." - 1 Corinthians 11:27

and where does it say here that the bread turns to flesh and the wine to blood ?
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Sep 02, 2012
[/quote]41. truthislight: Quote Post

chukwudi44:
However, the early churches knew what they had to be genuine and they held on/pass it along.[quote]

Please which group of people made up these early church?

Do you mind telling me any member of this church who lived in the second,third and fourth centuries
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Sep 02, 2012
frosbel:

"Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord." - 1 Corinthians 11:27

and where does it say here that the bread turns to flesh and the wine to blood ?

If the bread and wine are not the body and bllod of christ,how does one sin against the body and blood of christ by merely defiling it.
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Sep 02, 2012
In the words of the church fathers.The men who sucked the milk from the hands of the apostles.

We offer him what is his, and so we proclaim communion and unity and profess our belief in the resurrection of flesh and spirit. Just as bread from the earth, when it receives the invocation of God, is no longer common bread but the Eucharist, made up of two elements, one earthly and one heavenly, so also our bodies, in receiving the Eucharist, are no longer corruptible, for they have the hope of resurrection.

St. Irenaeus of Lyons, Against Heresies, [5,2,2] 180 A.D.
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by MacDaddy01: 6:16pm On Sep 02, 2012
2 facts that Frosbel is deluding himself not to believe;

1) The bible he uses was compiled by the catholics

2) No modern church can trace its history before the catholic church. The only exception is some orthodox churches which are still linked to the catholic church.
Re: Did The Catholic Church Give Us The Bible? by Rich4god(m): 6:26pm On Sep 02, 2012
frosbel:

i cant believe that this is coming from some1 who claims/is educated... Plz, stop decieving yourself while trying to discredit the catholic church.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Are Men Of God Above Criticism? / Apostle G. D. Numbere Is Dead / What Are Your Favourite Hymns?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.