Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,819 members, 7,872,747 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:02 PM

Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments (17017 Views)

It Is PDP Loyalists That Are Complaining Of Hardship Not Nigerians - Ngige / PDP Loyalists Burn Their Old Clothes As They Defect To APC In Rivers State. PICS / Former President Olusegun Obasanjo Cautions APC About Muslim-muslim Ticket (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by prost80(m): 4:56pm On Jan 27, 2013
aribisala0:

Playing the victim card is not helpful . Every Nigerian insults each other and has done things they should not have done. Just as I cannot take responsibility personally for the wrongs of Nigerians against Igbos so also Igbos should not for their fellows.
Igbo people were wronged in the pogroms of 1966 by Northern Mobs in connivance with troops of Northern Origin and this is to be condemned. I agree, though NOT ONLY Igbos were killed they bore the brunt of it. I do not agree that fighting the war to stop Biafra seceding was wrong and there can be no agreement there.

It was a bloody brutal war and many more people died as a consequence than were killed in the North. Ojukwu must take responsibility. The obvious question is what was he supposed to do when his people were being killed in droves?Honestly I don't know but there is no doubt that he could have saved many more lives if he had surrendered much earlier.
I have read about and have met many victims of the war.Their stories are harrowing and not trivial but life is often not black or white their is usually a lot of grey in between. A small number of Igbos played a role in what befell their people in Northern Nigeria where there were documented cases of Northerners being taunted about their slain leaders in barracks /streetsand even a record made in that effort.The crises brewed over a period when an Igbo was Head of State and perhaps did not do enough to avert it or even contributed to it.Did that justify the consequences No but that is life. The same thing is happening today with Boko Haram is the solution secession? No.
The Truth is Nigeria is a creation of the British bringing together many peoples of different cultures in an arrangement that can politely be described as "difficult". It is dishonest to pretend that Hausas,Yorubas,or any Non-Igbo group has benefitted more than Igbos from Nigeria. From all Indications Norther Nigeria has benefitted the least from the arrangement. This is in contrast to Northern Elite who are able to steal directly the nation's wealth more than Elite from any other group. I am not one of them and I doubt you are. In that respect ordinary Nigerians are very much the same.
There is a particular burden Igbos carry and that is this idea of being more meritorious,the idea that if everything was done properly then Igbos would naturally come to the top and this idea is projected in ways that are far from subtle to ALL Nigerians. The truth is this problem is evident even outside Nigeria whether in Cameroun or Ivory Coast or Guinea or Cameroun. For all I know it may be true even. May be Igbos are better than all of us but you still need to learn two things
To swallow your pride
To see things from the other person's perspective.

How true is this idea that Igbos have been told they can't govern. Are Igbos more important than Edo,Igala,Tiv,Efik,Ijebu and many others who have not been head of state.

How many NON Military heads of state have we had in Nigeria for us to say Igbos are being marginalized?
So far we have had

Balewa
Shagari
Obasanjo
Yar adua
Jonathan
5 non military heads of state discounting Shonekan which was irrelevant. We can effectively describe them as 4 terms since Yaradua/Jonathan is one term
It is a fact than none of these 5 is Hausa,Kanuri,Edo,Efik,Tiv,Igala,Urhobo or Itsekiri. why are these people not screaming.Why do the Igbos feel more important than them? By all means let us have an Igbo President but none on the basis of some presumed special right for Igbo.
when people say an Igbo cannot be president this is not a constitutional issue but a numbers issue. To become President you need other Nigerians to vote for you

. The question is is this likely to happen based on how Igbos relate to other Nigerians? This is a reality based question. No amount of whining or playing victim will change that.You have no right to be trusted.You earn trust by respecting people and dealing with integrity if you believe you are doing so put it to the test at the ballot. Certainly the unending campaign of hatred against Yorubas only indicates poor awareness of self interest and how to pursue it.

Wow, just wow aribisala0. This is a very balanced view. Now I know nairaland has mature people . Once again take a bow.well articulated

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by ProfSule(m): 4:59pm On Jan 27, 2013
chosen04: We should forget about niGERia jets bombing civilians in the markets, hospitals, schools etc and just move and pretend that it never happened because the sad event happened some 43 years ago?........TRULY, I CAN NOW UNDERSTAND WHY JESUS WEPT.

u be mumu! oya carry biafran jets go vandalize Nigeria. Abi wen d tin hapun una no kill anybody?...fire instigator!
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by clemmonce(m): 5:16pm On Jan 27, 2013
c.fours:

by installing an Igbo man as governor of lagos, abuja and president of Nigeria.
by allocating 70% of federal revenues to SE
by creating a welfare state program for igbos
by exterminating all abokis by any means necessary
by cutting off the hands and feet of every "oily Yoruba" in all corners of earth.
by forming biafra (so that igbos will preside over nigeria and biafra at the same time)

this will be the ultimate dream.

remember, igbos are jewish geniuses stuck among backwards black people in africa. wink
if not for the civil war, biafra will look like sweden or USA by now.
in your dreams biafra wil be like sweden or usa. lol.
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by emmaella: 5:48pm On Jan 27, 2013
Kslib:
Just look at how to put the word backward blacks as if igbos aint black.. This inferiority complex of a thing is one major problem many black people have.. Always trying to claim something rather than trying to something so that others will claim them.. Ok,lets assume your jewish claim is true,
what has it changed?? Nothing!!!
Did it make your life better?? No!!!
Does it stop the whiteman from calling you a black monkey?? No!!!
Is there a jew inscription on your fore-head?? No!!!
Can you tell the difference btw an igbo man and a calabar/delta/edo/kogi man just by their structure of facial structure?? No!!
You said the igbos are stuck with backward black africans shey.. Pls go check the number of crimes committed in this country(minus the north).look east,west and south and tell me the tribe that tops the list hands down without arguement...
Go check the international crimes committed by Nigerians all over the world and tell me the tribe that tops that same list hands down...
LASTLY,WHAT MAKES YOU THINK BIAFRA WOULD BE ANY BETTER IF NIGERIA EVENTUALLY DIVIDES.. SO OTHERS WILL BE FOOLING THEMSELVES AND SLEEPING WHILE BIAFRA KEEPS DEVELOPING ABI?? PLS WAKE-UP!!
I HATE ANYTHING THAT USES TRIBE TO DISUNITE OR MAKE ANY TRIBE FEEL THEY ARE BETTER THAN THE OTHER.. I HATE TRIBAL WAR AND THE WORLD WOULD HAVE BEEN A BETTER PLACE WITHOUT TRIBE,RACE AND COLOUR,BUT I GUESS ITS TOO LATE..
LET ME END BY SAYING THIS "THERE IS NOTHING SPECIAL,I MEAN NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT IGBO PEOPLE".. There are like any other Nigerian out there,the difference is that they have been brain washed to beleive they are better than any Nigerian who aint igbo...
I dont belong to any of the three main languages,but i beleive if Nigeria divides,the south-west would be better than biafra by far.. Just look around and see the conditions/enviroments and visions for the future both have,and you will know what i'm talking about... You dont just have to keep shouting and shouting just show us your present foundation and let us decide how strong the building will be...
IF YOU WANT TO SHOOT,SHOOT DONT TALK..
emmaella: [/quote]
emmaella:
emmaella:
emmaella:
emmaella:
emmaella:
emmaella:
emmaella:
emmaella:
clemmonce:
in your dreams biafra wil be like sweden or usa. lol.
clemmonce: in your dreams biafra wil be like sweden or usa. lol.
[quote author=emmaella]
you are not objective in your comments. if you were a victim of that war you will know better.Even now among Nigerians the war has began with denials of rights in employment procedures,zoning,allocation formula etc. talks on the civil war cannot end.How many of you can work in others state civil service apart from your ow state. so you can see that we are already segregating ourseives. Even OBJ in his inward convictions knows we cannot be one. let him set the records straight and address the issue as it should be.Our leaders are not honest people,they should stop preaching peace in disguise. Nigeria has whirled the sword of Butross at Galilee they should wait for the ghost of Caesar in philippi.
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Yujin(m): 6:02pm On Jan 27, 2013
aribisala0: In times of tension we are ,all of us, capable of acting like a mob. today the government is at war with "BOKO HARAM" in our name. Do we question their methods? No. Many here on Nairaland cheer when they hear of more Boko haram fighter killings but atrocities are happening daily in "our name" and it is "okay" because Abokis are being killed. Do we question how many are innocent women or children? No. Somehow we tell ourselves they are in it together and deserve whatever they get.That kind of mindset is easy to produce using modern media . I am sure somthing similar happened in "Nigeria" during the Biafra war. We must somehow be able to rise above hurt and see things as they really are. We are all capable of the ALUU killings and a lot worse we are also capable of a lot better and hopefully we are in a position to make the right choices.Those who insist on being victims punish themselves and no one.Are we not all victims of Nigeria,the British
If indeed we are all victims of Nigeria, why not we sit down together and negotiate Nigeria?
You are quick to point fingers at Ojukwu! What happened to the Aburi accord? Why was it not honoured? It was this action that made the easterners lose faith in Gowon(Nigeria). If Ojukwu had not gone to Aburi, we would have blamed him for our woes. Surrendering to a person who does not respect agreement ONLY MEANS ONE IS A COWARD and this Igbos are not. Well, you can say we have learnt albeit a hard way but just know it is not yet uhuru. He who holds another man down himself will not be mobile.
The only lesson we learnt from the war is that their are no rules nor limits in engagements. It was a bitter lesson that will not be forgotten.
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by chaloner(m): 6:05pm On Jan 27, 2013
but we should also remember one thing, action and reaction in physics, they say, equal and opposite , but, in human interaction, no.

Reactions are always greater than action and you know that"
I dnt agree wit u on d above statement, both action nd reaction are equal , wat left is for us to define d opposite which has human diffrences, u jus portray one now general
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:08pm On Jan 27, 2013
Dis history should be included in the national syllabus. Cameroonians know more about the Biafra War than Niagerians because it is taught in Schools. How ignorant is Nigeria? undecided
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by aribisala0(m): 6:32pm On Jan 27, 2013
Yujin:
If indeed we are all victims of Nigeria, why not we sit down together and negotiate Nigeria?
You are quick to point fingers at Ojukwu! What happened to the Aburi accord? Why was it not honoured? It was this action that made the easterners lose faith in Gowon(Nigeria). If Ojukwu had not gone to Aburi, we would have blamed him for our woes. Surrendering to a person who does not respect agreement ONLY MEANS ONE IS A COWARD and this Igbos are not. Well, you can say we have learnt albeit a hard way but just know it is not yet uhuru. He who holds another man down himself will not be mobile.
The only lesson we learnt from the war is that their are no rules nor limits in engagements. It was a bitter lesson that will not be forgotten.
Many Igbos on this forum appear to place so much value in this business of being or not being a coward.I find this funny to be honest. So It is better to NOT be a coward or to prove you are not a coward and sacrifice the lives of millions of people. Cowardice and pragmatism on the one hand, Bravery and recklessness on the other may be two sides of the same coin and different currencies mean more to different peoples I suppose. That kind of resoluteness we saw in the Japanese who would then go on to commit suicide if they had been in Ojukwu's shoes but Ojukwu was not Japanese and people see the world differently. This sort of machismo was admirable in the age of spears and swords. In this age of technology is is knowledge,alliance and resources that win wars not testoterone
Again many Igbos talk of Aburi . The reality is that Biafra was not in a position militarily to insist on Aburi or anything. It was defeated ab initio and the macabre dance of death that followed was an inevitable consequence of Ojukwu's choice. The issue is not who was right or wrong but a purely military one. Did the British discuss with anybody before amalgamating Nigeria in 1914? Why did we not go to war. Is it when an armed robber enters your house and point a gun at your son that you display bravery? Machismo is not bravery at all
Ojukwu had a bad hand if I may use a card metaphor. He had no good choices. No one is holding the Igbo down.Did Ojukuwu consult with the Non Igbo groups in Biafra and did they support him. As long as you open a Biafra debate you will find others who disagree with you.That will not change. You can always start the war again or get on with the current reality. What about the killings of Akintola,Sardauna,and others and Ironsi's handling of that affair is that not relevant too. The story has several sides to it.Not just an Igbo side

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jan 27, 2013
Aribisala, you are on fire today o and not quite as angry. Very balanced and well articulated views you have presented there.
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by shevon: 6:56pm On Jan 27, 2013
For the records, I am an Igbo man and I was not born during the civil war.
I want to ask everybody that is saying we shouldn't forget about the war:
1. How will we not putting the ills of the war behind us bring progress?
2. What do you intend to do about the whole episode, fight again?
3. Where are those who actually fought the war (on behalf of the Igbos) today? What is happening to them?
4. Where in the history of this world has war ever solved any problem?
5. How will you dwelling on the past make you see what you are supposed to do in the future?
6. Wouldn't you rather learn from the past and make a better judgment/decision for your future and your generation yet unborn?
7. What will you gain from dwelling on the Biafran war or starting another one (except if you have plans to run guns and commit other war crimes to enrich yourself)
So many more questions begging for answers. I know some many people will haul insults and make obscene comments but, think about it, what effect do you feel war will have on your children? Have we not learnt anything from all these othere countries fighting now? (Even as we didn't experience the war) If it is for the experience of war, why don't you just apply for a visiting visa to some waring countries now, I'm sure they will be glad to grant you one for free.
Yes, someone mention killing of women and children by the Nigerian army, but why live in the past?
In my opinion, there is no point crying over spilled milk, as horrible as the experience shared by those who witnessed it was, it will do us no good to continue to live a past life (even as most of the people shouting today did not experience one minute of it). Burn the past, throw the ash away. But, make your future judgments based on experience. Try as we may, we can't forget the fact that there was a war, the most we can do is to learn from it.
My 2kobo.

7 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by omowolewa: 7:01pm On Jan 27, 2013
Kslib:
Just look at how to put the word backward blacks as if igbos aint black.. This inferiority complex of a thing is one major problem many black people have.. Always trying to claim something rather than trying to something so that others will claim them.. Ok,lets assume your jewish claim is true,
what has it changed?? Nothing!!!
Did it make your life better?? No!!!
Does it stop the whiteman from calling you a black monkey?? No!!!
Is there a jew inscription on your fore-head?? No!!!
Can you tell the difference btw an igbo man and a calabar/delta/edo/kogi man just by their structure of facial structure?? No!!
You said the igbos are stuck with backward black africans shey.. Pls go check the number of crimes committed in this country(minus the north).look east,west and south and tell me the tribe that tops the list hands down without arguement...
Go check the international crimes committed by Nigerians all over the world and tell me the tribe that tops that same list hands down...
LASTLY,WHAT MAKES YOU THINK BIAFRA WOULD BE ANY BETTER IF NIGERIA EVENTUALLY DIVIDES.. SO OTHERS WILL BE FOOLING THEMSELVES AND SLEEPING WHILE BIAFRA KEEPS DEVELOPING ABI?? PLS WAKE-UP!!
I HATE ANYTHING THAT USES TRIBE TO DISUNITE OR MAKE ANY TRIBE FEEL THEY ARE BETTER THAN THE OTHER.. I HATE TRIBAL WAR AND THE WORLD WOULD HAVE BEEN A BETTER PLACE WITHOUT TRIBE,RACE AND COLOUR,BUT I GUESS ITS TOO LATE..
LET ME END BY SAYING THIS "THERE IS NOTHING SPECIAL,I MEAN NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT IGBO PEOPLE".. There are like any other Nigerian out there,the difference is that they have been brain washed to beleive they are better than any Nigerian who aint igbo...
I dont belong to any of the three main languages,but i beleive if Nigeria divides,the south-west would be better than biafra by far.. Just look around and see the conditions/enviroments and visions for the future both have,and you will know what i'm talking about... You dont just have to keep shouting and shouting just show us your present foundation and let us decide how strong the building will be...
IF YOU WANT TO SHOOT,SHOOT DONT TALK..
cheesy grin cheesy shocked
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Josh316(m): 7:08pm On Jan 27, 2013
Its only in Nigeria that Going back to relieve history becomes a tribal topic or an issue that raises unnecessary dust!
I've just finished watching two back to back documentaries on National Geographic Channel about the 2nd world war and I said to myself, I've seen loads of this already! from the pearl habour to how American Soldiers were tortured and killed by the Japs. It doesnt stir up any diplomatic controversy or unnecessary war of words. It just serves to remind the world what happened was real and why it should NOT happen EVER again.

In Nigeria, a man decides to Publish his own version, seen through his OWN PERSPECTIVE and HIS OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCES and the whole nation descends on him as if what happened was a Nollywood movie. This is the real reason Nigeria WILL NOT develop. we NEVER learn lessons from any past experiences. Forget about what Awo did or did not do. The issue is People were massacred, killed and when they decided to secede, they were invaded and beaten to submission after 30 long months. What we should ask our elders is WHAT TRIGGERED THIS? WHY DID THEY LET THIS HAPPEN? Everyone has a blame to share in this whole fiasco! What even annoys me more is that some tribal illiterates use Nairaland as a platform to spread their ignorance and stupidity rather than learning to discuss and argue rationally and learn mutual maturity and respect. Nigeria doesn't need such retards, not now, not EVER. We need sane and rational people who can argue without cursing the other tribe and making insane assertions.

Nigeria needs us to be sane for once!

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jan 27, 2013
Josh316: Its only in Nigeria that Going back to relieve history becomes a tribal topic or an issue that raises unnecessary dust!
I've just finished watching two back to back documentaries on National Geographic Channel about the 2nd world war and I said to myself, I've seen loads of this already! from the pearl habour to how American Soldiers were tortured and killed by the Japs. It doesnt stir up any diplomatic controversy or unnecessary war of words. It just serves to remind the world what happened was real and why it should NOT happen EVER again.

In Nigeria, a man decides to Publish his own version, seen through his OWN PERSPECTIVE and HIS OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCES and the whole nation descends on him as if what happened was a Nollywood movie. This is the real reason Nigeria WILL NOT develop. we NEVER learn lessons from any past experiences. Forget about what Awo did or did not do. The issue is People were massacred, killed and when they decided to secede, they were invaded and beaten to submission after 30 long months. What we should ask our elders is WHAT TRIGGERED THIS? WHY DID THEY LET THIS HAPPEN? Everyone has a blame to share in this whole fiasco! What even annoys me more is that some tribal illiterates use Nairaland as a platform to spread their ignorance and stupidity rather than learning to discuss and argue rationally and learn mutual maturity and respect. Nigeria doesn't need such retards, not now, not EVER. We need sane and rational people who can argue without cursing the other tribe and making insane assertions.

Nigeria needs us to be sane for once!

Here lies the problem; no one is willing to take their fair share of the blame

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jan 27, 2013
chosen04: We should forget about niGERia jets bombing civilians in the markets, hospitals, schools etc and just move and pretend that it never happened because the sad event happened some 43 years ago?........TRULY, I CAN NOW UNDERSTAND WHY JESUS WEPT.
you learn from ur past so as not to repeat the future,not stew in it,the rwandan genocide was horrific but the ones alive are healing themselves
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Dee60: 8:06pm On Jan 27, 2013
It is a shame that some people here are still fanning the emblems of war. It is time to heal and move on.
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Yujin(m): 8:07pm On Jan 27, 2013
aribisala0:
Many Igbos on this forum appear to place so much value in this business of being or not being a coward.I find this funny to be honest. So It is better to NOT be a coward or to prove you are not a coward and sacrifice the lives of millions of people. Cowardice and pragmatism on the one hand, Bravery and recklessness on the other may be two sides of the same coin and different currencies mean more to different peoples I suppose. That kind of resoluteness we saw in the Japanese who would then go on to commit suicide if they had been in Ojukwu's shoes but Ojukwu was not Japanese and people see the world differently.
Again many Igbos talk of Aburi . The reality is that Biafra was not in a position militarily to insist on Aburi or anything. It was defeated ab initio and the macabre dance of death that followed was an inevitable consequence of Ojukwu's choice. The issue is not who was right or wrong but a purely military one. Did the British discuss with anybody before amalgamating Nigeria in 1914? Why did we not go to war. Is it when an armed robber enters your house and point a gun at your son that you display bravery? Machismo is not bravery at all
Ojukwu had a bad hand if I may use a card metaphor. He had no good choices. No one is holding the Igbo down.Did Ojukuwu consult with the Non Igbo groups in Biafra and did they support him. As long as you open a Biafra debate you will find others who disagree with you.That will not change. You can always start the war again or get on with the current reality. What about the killings of Akintola,Sardauna,and others and Ironsi's handling of that affair is that not relevant too. The story has several sides to it.Not just an Igbo side
You wrote 'In reality, Biafra was not in the position militarily to insist Aburi or anything', talk about the power of the barrel of the gun. It equally means the present Igboland was annexed by the 'Nigerian' Nigeria and not the Brits. So there is actually no need for apologies and compensation! Like I mentioned in my previous post, lessons have been learnt and will not be forgotten. Enjoy your 'One Nigeria' while it lasts.
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by dayokanu(m): 8:11pm On Jan 27, 2013
Here we go again
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jan 27, 2013
Ok, now that i am assured that Obasanjo is a coward, I am now convinced yorubas are cowards, all of them. it is the only group of people that will feel insecure if every oda tribe parts ways. no wonder , during the times of regionalism, the western region was in a state of emergency in the 60s. it was only stopped later by the federal govt.
What was not true about Awolowo? the guy was betrayed by mere abokis after the war.the 20 pounds event was true plus the starvation saga.
If wat happened to biafrans happened to yorubas, the latter will be existing in history books only. gutless individuals. Obasanjo said sth because he knows he will benefit from naija as one than otherwise and some people are going jumpy. one nigeria my lower limb
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by aribisala0(m): 8:19pm On Jan 27, 2013
naijababe: Aribisala, you are on fire today o and not quite as angry. Very balanced and well articulated views you have presented there.
I am usually less angry after a relaxing massage. Seems to drain me of all rage
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by eazzzy1(m): 8:48pm On Jan 27, 2013
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by asha80(m): 8:53pm On Jan 27, 2013
eazzzy1:

Sorry is dis femi aribisala?

i have asked the same question and he refused to answer sad grin
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jan 27, 2013
ngozievergreen: Ok, now that i am assured that Obasanjo is a coward, I am now convinced yorubas are cowards, all of them. it is the only group of people that will feel insecure if every oda tribe parts ways. no wonder , during the times of regionalism, the western region was in a state of emergency in the 60s. it was only stopped later by the federal govt.
What was not true about Awolowo? the guy was betrayed by mere abokis after the war.the 20 pounds event was true plus the starvation saga.
If wat happened to biafrans happened to yorubas, the latter will be existing in history books only. gutless individuals. Obasanjo said sth because he knows he will benefit from naija as one than otherwise and some people are going jumpy. one nigeria my lower limb
LOL, are you sure? If them catch you for bed them go show you some bravery ooo!
Olodo.
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jan 27, 2013
digression;in in 1994,within a period of three months,a million tutsis were killed,by their neighbours,tutsis ran to churches and the priests would welcome them,lock them up and bring in bulldozers to crush them up,government ministers talked about how to kill them,hiv positive men were recruited just to rape the women,twenty percent of that population was destroyed,america was informed about the genocide before it was to take place but clinton was playing politics then and us etc would veto or ignore the motion when it was in the un,france had a hand in supporting the hutus so they played the fool,help came only from the rebel tutsis who took kigali after defeating the govt,tutsis came into power and formed a coalition government and banned any refernce to ethnicity,eg quota system etc,why cant we do the same
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by sweetgala(m): 9:04pm On Jan 27, 2013
Yujin:
Actions and reactions are not equal in human interaction: True
No rules in warfare(carrying out genocide) even among a people you claimed you intend to re-unite into your nation. Is there another word for annexation other than this?
Do you know what it feels like to be insulted and abused by your 'fellow cowpatriots' simply because you are Igbo(lost a war)? Do you know what it feels to be told indirectly that you can't govern a country you are forced to be part of? How can this same people be proud of your Nigeria when their kinsmen are continually being murdered by islamists without the perpetrators prosecuted? You CANNOT JUST TELL THEM TO FORGET AND MOVE ON.
On starting another war; when the time is ripe you will see. This is because Nigeria feels they have no case whereas their case is valid. Call the Igbos and address the Civil war issue(apology and restitution/compensation). Igbos do not hate other peoples of Nigeria. What they hate is the Nigerian system designed to make them irrelevant despite all their efforts(contributions) and sacrifices towards making Nigeria great.
In the heart of OBJ and other nigerians who fought the civil war, they know very well the injustice done to the Igbos that is why they make these statements.
To forget and move on like that is not possible.

You are surely a clown, the Igbo partook in the civil war intact the birth of the war was engineered courtesy of the selfish callous action of certain Igbo men who decided to convert a national coup into a tribal cleansing. If the biafran nation lost they have only themselves to blame, All is fair in war is the saying and Nigerians is not the only war where unholy actions have been taken.
Igbo are not the only tribe affected by jihadist extremism ,if I may remind you Nigeria has a multitude of tribes and all including core northern Muslims have suffered due to this terrorism we face as a country and we shall defeat this beast together as one nation.
And to conclude why would any sane man expect Nigeria to pay Biafra !,rather odd Britain didn't compensate the victims of the Frankfurt bombings!
Igbo tribe like every other is well represented in all aspects of Nigerian polity and society and when a reputable candidate is presented for presidency I'm rather sure Nigerians would support him/her.
Stop being sad
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by asha80(m): 9:07pm On Jan 27, 2013
ehie: digression;in in 1994,within a period of three months,a million tutsis were killed,by their neighbours,tutsis ran to churches and the priests would welcome them,lock them up and bring in bulldozers to crush them up,government ministers talked about how to kill them,hiv positive men were recruited just to rape the women,twenty percent of that population was destroyed,america was informed about the genocide before it was to take place but clinton was playing politics then and us etc would veto or ignore the motion when it was in the un,france had a hand in supporting the hutus so they played the fool,help came only from the rebel tutsis who took kigali after defeating the govt,tutsis came into power and formed a coalition government and[b] banned any refernce to ethnicity,eg quota system etc,why cant we do the same[/b]

that cannot work in nigeria.
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by daytona500(m): 9:13pm On Jan 27, 2013
Just because someone does not share your view does not make one a coward.In life,you must think with your brain because every action has a consequence. The igbos are demanding apology.Why not question the people who led you to unnecessary war?
Live continue,think with your head,it will take you a long way.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by swizzle(m): 9:48pm On Jan 27, 2013
My mom's elder brother, the brightest in the family was conscripted while having his lunch...he neva finished that lunch and he never came back home. My grandmother died after the war out of heart break. She could not bear losing her favourite son.

While it is a good thing to do, it is not east to forget. You can't just wish it away. The earlier it is admitted that there was gross injustice in that war (by both sides?) the better for us all as a country.

And for those that rant that the Igbos cry about the war, you won't understand cos u did not witness it. Those that did was over the radio nd newspapers. I did not either (thank God) but my dad fought in that war and my uncle died in it and that is the story for many Igbos
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by coogar: 9:48pm On Jan 27, 2013
ehie: digression;in in 1994,within a period of three months,a million tutsis were killed,by their neighbours,tutsis ran to churches and the priests would welcome them,lock them up and bring in bulldozers to crush them up,government ministers talked about how to kill them,hiv positive men were recruited just to rape the women,twenty percent of that population was destroyed,america was informed about the genocide before it was to take place but clinton was playing politics then and us etc would veto or ignore the motion when it was in the un,france had a hand in supporting the hutus so they played the fool,help came only from the rebel tutsis who took kigali after defeating the govt,tutsis came into power and formed a coalition government and banned any refernce to ethnicity,eg quota system etc,why cant we do the same

nigeria is more complex........
the population is staggering thus what happened in rwanda will not work in nigeria. there are some few members of a powerful cabal who are happy with the way things are and they would do everything possible to keep things the way they currently are. clinton did not make any move in 94 because america just got their arsës handed to them on a plate in mogadishu. he couldn't risk going into another african country barely months later.

as for the igbos who are still moaning and groaning about the casualties of the biafran war - what exactly happen during wars? sharing of bread and eggs? why did ojukwu go to war knowing he's putting his own people at risk? he should have put the lives and properties of his people into consideration before going to war. what happened in 1967 was entirely ojukwu's fault! too bad innocent women and children died but that is what happens when you have an egotistical spoilt brat as a warlord!

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by UmmRumy(f): 9:59pm On Jan 27, 2013
The igbos started it. When they killed d northern leaders n were jesting,they didn't tink der actions wud spawn a reaction. Now they keep crying foul. Som1 said they hav learnt their mistakes, but apparently they havnt,cos 4 dem to start beating war drums again illustrates that. War shd nt b sought by any sane individual.
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by asha80(m): 10:05pm On Jan 27, 2013
Umm Rumy: The igbos started it. When they killed d northern leaders n were jesting,they didn't tink der actions wud spawn a reaction. Now they keep crying foul. Som1 said they hav learnt their mistakes, but apparently they havnt,cos 4 dem to start beating war drums again illustrates that. War shd nt b sought by any sane individual.

which evidence do you have that igbos are beating war drum?which part of the country at the moment judging from what is going on in the country is most likely to degenerate into a war situation?
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by kingofyariba: 10:05pm On Jan 27, 2013
Obasanjo should shattap!
His a.ss belongs in jail.
Re: Obasanjo Cautions Achebe & Awolowo’s Loyalists Against Civil War Comments by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jan 27, 2013
If somebody you hate can not be silenced, you either ignore him or make yourself sad.

It is possible for somebody to be extrovert another might be introvert.
All the points you raised show that you are aggrieved and depressed each time Obj is being celeberated

Firstly, Nitel died out of inability to survive competition. It has enjoyed monopoly all its life. The monopoly set us back as a nation many years back. The story of your grandfather landline on nairaland is for the sick mind at the era when getting a trunk call from Lagos to PH or Kano to Owerri is almost impossible, all you get is "all trunk lines are busy". International call is by the grace of God, even with IDD. Most of the time, I have slept at Nitel exchange to make an international call call . The charge for an international call per minute is more than =N=200/minute after a long wait on the queue at the exchange. Telephone accessibility per person statistics is almost Zero. To get a Nitel line in commercial centers of Nigeria cost above =N=200,000/line (official + Nigerian factor),it is even higher for analogue cell phone (090) with his very limited functionalities and was used as a status definer. Multilinks, Starcoms and Intercellular lines cost over =N=120k/line. It takes months to get these lines after payment. I have fought at their offices several times to get my line after payment. For Nitel in some cities, digital line is not available even if you have money to pay.
Internet is the worst victim, only Nitel provides internet service. About two or three companies existing at the time were buying services from Nitel. Dial-up to these companies frustrated access to internet. Even CTL direct connection at the eve of breaking the monopoly did not help much as the bandwidth is being regulated by Nitel through services provided by GS Telecom. Communication was a nightmare. NCC cannot fully regulate Nitel operations as at that time. Nitel made itself more superior than the regulator.
The deregulation finally liberated millions of Nigerians and businesses currently enjoying access to information interchange. Some people fought this battle and paid the price.

On the Nigeria Airways, how many planes were operational as at handing over in 1979? How many planes were operational in 1999? How much debt both international and local was the airline owing? What is the rate of returns on investment made over the years by government? Who will be paying the staff salaries and those debts? How about royalty to government on the usage of FAAN properties? Should the government continue to run an indebted non profitable commercialized airline as a not for profit organization with the oil money?

Well, with the agenda at the aviation ministry now, we shall see where we are going.
Till date, except history is changed tomorrow, the greatest reforms we have had are those between 1976 -1979 and 1999 – 2003.
If everybody is thinking and acting the way you people do, we cannot survive as a nation, you will still be the victims rather than being victors.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Mohammed Shittu, APDA Chairman: "Our Mission In Politics" / Omo-Agege Became Deputy Senate President As Compensation - Lasun Yusuff / President Buhari At 78: Cabinet Make-up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.